The Cabin in the Woods

7.8

1. Jul 12, 2015
    Summary: The Cabin in the Woods is refreshing, complex, wicked, and its final act is the dream of every horror fan. 94/100 [A-]

Directed by Drew Goddard and starring Fran Kranz and Kristen Connolly, The Cabin in the Woods is definitely the best horror film of 2012, not only for its excellent reviews, it's the horror film of the year for its refreshing and original screenplay that revolutionized the horror genre. Although it has a slow start and the first 35 minutes are character development, the whole film was quite interesting. The characters were likable and friendly. Also, it is a very confusing and strange flick, but do not worry, everything made sense at the end.

It was complex as hell and is difficult not to spoil it, but I will try. The direction was superb, the writing and the actions of the characters were smartly written and the movie is filled with lots of epic twists and memorable moments. It's not more of the same crap, everything in the film feels so fresh and original. The performances were amazing and effective. Shout out here to Fran Kranz, he's definitely the star of the film, he makes us laugh again and again, his performance was excellent. He's so underrated. It's sad that Chris Hemsworth gets all the attention and he's not even the protagonist of the movie.

The rest of the cast was hilarious and extremely likable too. Richard Jenkins, Bradley Whitford and Amy Acker were terrific and they added some weird humor to the film. It was made with a budget of $40 million and that is very high for a horror flick, I believe that half of the budget was used in the last 30 minutes. They were truly impressive, believe the hype. In addition, I want to add that the special effects were just good enough, do not expect mind-blowing or extremely-realistic effects. The horror genre needs more movies like this one, I mean horror films with a decent budget.

On the upside, the CGI was good enough, it has unexpected twists, comedy, tension, and gore; mostly in the last act. The second half was a bloody explosion of horror, there was a perfect balance between scares and comedy. It is a must see if you love the horror genre or if you want to watch something so messed up and different; seriously, it exceeded my expectations and it is not overrated at all. See it if you want surprises or violence, also if you want to laugh out loud. On the downside, some of the jump-scares were unnecessary and predictable, but that's my only issue with the film. I can't wait to buy it! [A-]
  2. Jul 10, 2015
    This is a very good movie for understanding how and why horror movie cliches are why they are. The premise is intriguing and gripping and makes you want to see what tricks the organisation runners had up their sleeve. I really wanted to see more monster action. Perhaps an additional 10 minutes would be exempt, seeing them roam around the streets causing havoc would be a good idea (maybe anThis is a very good movie for understanding how and why horror movie cliches are why they are. The premise is intriguing and gripping and makes you want to see what tricks the organisation runners had up their sleeve. I really wanted to see more monster action. Perhaps an additional 10 minutes would be exempt, seeing them roam around the streets causing havoc would be a good idea (maybe an idea for a sequel....oh wait...). In the end, this is again a very good horror comedy which needs to focus less on the main characters (lets face it, they are cliches and the interest of this whole movie is to the idea behind it) and more on the variety of monsters that were created for this film. Do not be put off by that though, this is a fantastic movie. Expand
  3. Jun 14, 2015
    Sin duda el homenaje perfecto a las películas de terror, podemos ver una evolución del género que termina por hacerla una alta recomendación obligada.
  4. Jun 10, 2015
    This movie was amazing. At first i was not sure if i was going to like it, but I fell in love with it. This movie is insane. I really hope that they create a continuation of it. At the end it looked like they might.
  5. Apr 10, 2015
    Cuando creía que el Exorcista era el unico film de terror que valía la pena, estaba completamente equivocado, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS es divertida, violenta y novedosa, combina todas las bestias, todos los escenarios, todos los personajes y todas las situaciones de las mejores películas de terror de todos los tiempos, creando una maravilla en el cine de horror, es un homenaje al buen cineCuando creía que el Exorcista era el unico film de terror que valía la pena, estaba completamente equivocado, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS es divertida, violenta y novedosa, combina todas las bestias, todos los escenarios, todos los personajes y todas las situaciones de las mejores películas de terror de todos los tiempos, creando una maravilla en el cine de horror, es un homenaje al buen cine del terror. Expand
  6. Nov 23, 2014
    A Cabin in the Woods is a fresh take on a story that has been around for years. All it took was a bit more thought and they made with film into something special. This film could easily be another rip off of the Evil Dead or Friday the 13th but adding the decisive 3 party into the story that calls all the shots is original. This movie is a must watch for any modern horror movie fan.
  7. Oct 27, 2014
    Cabin in the woods is a unique take on slasher/horror movies. While the gimmick is clever I found it to be lacking in any kind of realistic scares. The whole premise is cool when everything is revealed but do not expect any real crazy scares.
  8. Sep 16, 2014
    Comienza como la clásica película de horror con unos adolescentes estereotipados que están listos para morir en una cabaña del bosque... Propuesta dinámica e interesante. Buena mezcla final !
  9. Sep 14, 2014
    If you really enjoyed the Scream franchise, you're gonna love this one, and that is why. The Cabin in the Woods mocks the horror genre, but not the "Scary Movie" type of way, but in a smart, intelligent and frequently hilarious way. If you did not like the movie in general, you must have at least found the twist ending to be the most original in the past ten years!
  10. Jul 14, 2014
    The cabin in the woods has great thrills and action. The movie doesn't have a famous cast but the movie
    didn't need one. Sigourney Weaver is even in this movie at the end. Overall this is a terrific horror
    movie with clever twists.
  11. Jun 27, 2014
    I really had thought the movie will be like another horror five young movie (tipic stuped american movies), but, this really one is so amazing. Original! Not as other. That was I waiting for
  12. Jun 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the better horror movies I've seen in a long time. I loved the whole plot of the movie, with sacrifices and whatnot. The characters were good, but they did save the two most likeable characters til the end, which was good. The comedy in the horror movie was great, I actually kinda liked the "villains" in the show haha. Ultimately it was a horror movie, and the death scenes overall were alright nothing spectacular. The ending was pretty epic and mindblowing, and I must say pretty satisfying. Overall a excellent hybrid between a horror and a comedy, with a great story and a awesome setting/atmosphere. Expand
  13. May 25, 2014
    "Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics."

You know when i first watched this movie i really wasn't expecting anything from it because well you know horror movie these days are just not that good and its usually every 10 years that we get one that steps it up. Although by the end of the film i was actually surprised by how much i ended up liking it, but seeing that its from Joss Whedon i knew it was going to be something special. With the directorial debut of Drew Goddard the writer for Cloverfield a film that i didn't like, i wasn't sure how this was going to turn out but he ended up doing a decent job, im sure he and Joss Whedon collaborated on things so it would turn out good.

The film follows your group of typical college friends Dana(Kristen Connolly) the sweet innocent girl, Jules(Anna Hutchison) the slutty one, Curt(Chris Hemsworth) the cool jock, Marty(Fran Kranz) the hilarious stoner, and Holden(Jesse Williams) the sensitive guy, taking a trip out to a isolated cabin out in the woods for a weekend of partying. At this point the movie is really cut and dry with your typical horror movie but only that you know something is brewing up, you're just not sure what that is. Soon the Partying stops when the group of friends find themselves being hunted down and killed off but not before figuring out why it happened to them. The film is fast paced, gory, and filled with plenty of dark humor( mostly coming from the pot head) Although the movie my be highly cliched it gives reasons for why it is, like when they stop at the gas station and they confront the old creepy dude, thats is just about every horror movie dealing with going into the middle of nowhere.

The last 15 minutes of the movie is without a doubt the best part of it, you get to wave after wave of monsters killing guards. This part of course had the best scene of the whole movie when you get to see a unicorn kill a man by ramming his horn into him the first time i had seen that i literally fell on the floor it was so funny even though i have watched the movie a couple times now i still chuckle when that part comes up its that great, another great death is the merman killing Bradley Whitford, he wanted to see it so bad but i bet he didn't think it would be the thing to kill him. Sigourney Weaver being in it was a complete surprise to me so its always a pleasure seeing her. She kinda had the same role in this as she did in "Paul" were she is the BIG BOSS overseeing everything and you don't get to see her until the end only teasing her voice.

Overall i give it a 7.5
  14. Feb 24, 2014
    Genius movie! It's funny and scary when it needs to be. My immediate thought when they arrived at the cabin was it reminded me of the Evil Dead, but not in a rip-off sort of way, more like a tip of that which is what I feel this entire movie is. I think anyone who loves a good horror movie should see this and not because of mind blowing special effects or that it's super scary but becauseGenius movie! It's funny and scary when it needs to be. My immediate thought when they arrived at the cabin was it reminded me of the Evil Dead, but not in a rip-off sort of way, more like a tip of that which is what I feel this entire movie is. I think anyone who loves a good horror movie should see this and not because of mind blowing special effects or that it's super scary but because it is an excellent homage. I loved jabs at horror cliches and how it didn't feel like a parody. I had a heard a few times it was horrible which really lowered my expectations which were far exceeded. Expand
  15. Feb 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The film starts an d you see all these drawings, some kid's got too creative? I mean what! This old guy compplains that its hard to open his draws. OH MY GOD! He then says you can't trust Swedes. Oi. Then a super sexy scene comes one where you see the main girl in panties. Ooh. Put some clothes on. The swag-mobile then comes. Oh, and he looks like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. I like food.Missy then says that she hopes THE ONLY ROAD is the right road, even though theres no other roads to go down. Old man cliche.. Theres then a long scene about how that old man is on speakerphone. The old men think its the funniest **** Shaggy then thinks a wolf is a moose. He never did learn any skills in Scooby Doo apart from being scared. Theres then another sexy sexy sexy scene, this time with beastiality. Shaggy then thinks puppeteers are pop tarts. *clap clap clap*. More s3xy scenes, this time with a tit cliche *Adjusts knob* **** puppet dance. The girl's head is then thrown into the main girl's hands. And that is why you should always stay clothed. INDIANA JONES MOMENT... and he's dead. A zombie arm then makes Shaggy dance. MASS MASSACRE! Then along comes the... MERMAN! Some woman having a midlife crisis then calls PBG/Shaggy a fool. Giant gods cliche then happens, but is presented very well, and makes you wonder... would you lose your life for the world? Ok. That film was amazing. Anyone might think there are cliches, but it's mainly to be self-aware, and makes fun of itself. The ending is a bit... well, it's ok., but the rest of the fiml is near perfect If you are a horror film fan, buy it. Expand
  16. Jan 11, 2014
    One of my favorite movies & directors!! I get so frustrated when people say they bailed at the start of the movie then write a review (you have to see the movie to understand it!! Common sense!) If you are not familiar with Joss Whedon or his humor you may be surprised by his ability to be witty, sarcastic & smart all at once. By the way Whedon is the creator of tv's Buffy the VampireOne of my favorite movies & directors!! I get so frustrated when people say they bailed at the start of the movie then write a review (you have to see the movie to understand it!! Common sense!) If you are not familiar with Joss Whedon or his humor you may be surprised by his ability to be witty, sarcastic & smart all at once. By the way Whedon is the creator of tv's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel & Firefly as well as movies like The Avengers & Thor. He also wrote 24 issues of Astonishing X Men in 2008. When I saw the movie on opening day I had a very vague idea of what the film was about & I'll admit the intro threw me for a serious loop. I was worried at first (I will never question Whedon again) but as always Joss delivered a horror movie full of witty humor, great characters & plot twists that were unique & not at all generic or obvious & an ending that you wont see coming (unless your a Whedon fan....) its a great movie that has earned a spot on my top 10. Its not your typical horror film & not all that scary but its got the makings of a cult classic, assuming people actually give it a chance & watch the whole film! Expand
  17. Jan 3, 2014
    what a wonderfully gory, hyper-meta, funny and surprising film this is! there is so much here to enjoy, and i'm really not one for scary movies. great performances and very clever writing and what an ending!
  18. Dec 12, 2013
    This movie is AMAZING, it recreates the whole idea of slasher film, will horror basically, ITS SO GODDAMN AWESOME, its like EvilDead meets Serinity, the film is great and worth a good sit down, 10/10
  19. Nov 29, 2013
    Although this movie wasn't meant to be much of a horror movie, it still had a great way of putting a movie together. The real twist is at the beginning. You have no idea what's going on until the end. The more you think about it, the more it makes sense.
  20. Nov 1, 2013
    At first you think that this movie is some imitation of "The Evil Dead" with a bit of clichés, but no. It's not, not at all. It is way better. Overall, this is the best horror movie of the decade, possibly of all time. This film is the most entertaining horror movie of all time, and the craziest, most fun, most exciting, most puzzling, most jaw-dropping horror movie ever. Pure awesomeness
  21. Oct 5, 2013
    I wouldn't have watched this if it were not for my best friend's recommendation and boy was I surprised at how much fun and how fantastic this film is. So many horror cliches that it plays up well and that is the point of this project. Dark humor that both makes fun of the cliches in horror flicks while sticking to the actual horror and gore parts. Definitely recommended that you watch this!
  22. Sep 8, 2013
    It starts off incredibly weak but somehow manages to get better. The plot twist is good and it features a large amount of humor and enjoyable moments. It truly is a satirical horror film, it's just too bad that it didn't work out with Valve.
  23. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rotten Tomatoes ranked this as the 34th greatest horror film ever. I don't blame them. Cabin in the woods will gain more cult following as the years go on, but after years of horrible horror flicks, The Cabin In The Woods will give you one of the greatest horror movies of all time. Just when you think it's your typical slasher flick, it takes a complete left turn down "What the hell?" lane, and I won't give away too much, but I will say this. There's a unicorn that stabs a guy. It's awesome. Expand
  24. Xon
    Jun 30, 2013
    I thought this waa Very cool horror film. It was entertaining and thrilling and scary and gross. The movie had everything I'd expect from a horror movie. As a bonus it was well acted and executed, You won't waste your time with this, but it is kind of cerebral as well, andI guesss many people aren't prepred to make the investment.
  25. Jun 30, 2013
    It was an original idea! Joss Whedon is one of the best, he always surprises us.
    And have chosen perfect actor for these parts! This movie should be awarded, 8!
  26. Jun 28, 2013
    Somewhat original, funny, and at time gruesome, the cabin in the woods is miles beyond the average horror movie, but I still felt like it could have been better. The thing the film does best is wittily send up genre conventions in a way that's funny but without resorting to a ridiculous Scary Movie level. It does this mostly through smart dialogue and its meta premise. The two leadSomewhat original, funny, and at time gruesome, the cabin in the woods is miles beyond the average horror movie, but I still felt like it could have been better. The thing the film does best is wittily send up genre conventions in a way that's funny but without resorting to a ridiculous Scary Movie level. It does this mostly through smart dialogue and its meta premise. The two lead characters are effective and you root for them to live, which is the opposite of most horror movies, and the visual effects aren't bad either. However, it's not truly that scary, and the very ending was pretty disappointing to me. Still, I recommend it due to its skewering of clichés and its humor. I liked it, just didn't love it. Expand
  27. Jun 25, 2013
    I went in this movie expecting a cheap slasher horror film, but I was having high expectations, because it has been announced in development since 2009, what I got was way too more in depth than I was barging for, this movie can't be reviewed without spoiling it, what I have to say is...SEE THE CABIN IN THE WOODS, it is different dark comedy with mystery and great visuals (hint) SEE THIS MOVIE.
  28. Jun 18, 2013
    A film with a generic horror movie name is everything but. When I first saw the trailer for this movie I thought it was good to be another awful horror film, but the twist led by the characters played by Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins makes this one of the most inventive horror films I've seen in a while.
  29. Jun 9, 2013
    If you’re a fan of Josh Whedon chances are you’ll enjoy this film. It’s far from perfect but it’s unique spin on the horror genre certainly kept me entertained from start to finish.
  30. Jun 8, 2013
    One of the greatest and funniest horror films ever made, it has a great story and a powerful scenes with great visuals and exquisite acting, I am a big horror fan, this one is good, it is really good, although I was barging for something smaller and simpler, but it turned out to be way too different than expected!
  31. May 22, 2013
    Surprisingly smart entertainment. I don't watch or like horror movies, and prompted by a friend was told I had to see it. Finally went on the ride, and by the end was blown away.
  32. May 21, 2013
    After being told to not watch this, I decided to watch it. More proof that the general movie going public and critics have no idea what constitutes a good movie. Joss Whedon uses this film as a vehicle to commentate on the popularity of "torture porn" that seems to dominate the horror box offices. The acting is superb. There were scenes that could have been lighted better but all in allAfter being told to not watch this, I decided to watch it. More proof that the general movie going public and critics have no idea what constitutes a good movie. Joss Whedon uses this film as a vehicle to commentate on the popularity of "torture porn" that seems to dominate the horror box offices. The acting is superb. There were scenes that could have been lighted better but all in all this a fun horror movie with "hidden message" that made all the great horror movies, well, great. A must watch for any horror fan. Expand
  33. May 1, 2013
    With a giant god like hand, Whedon destroys viewer expectation by carefully crafting the perfect satire film with a wit, intelligence and depth that is often lacking in the films it makes fun of.
  34. Apr 8, 2013
    What a great movie. Seriously, from star to finish i had a blast. The 3rd act of this movie is the best i've ever seen from this genre. Don't expect to be scared though, cause you wont be, but you'll enjoy the hell out of it, ill give you that. A parody of everything that is wrong with horror movies.
  35. Feb 27, 2013
    From the title, description, and most of the footage you've probably seen, The Cabin in the Woods looks like the same awful, recycled horror film you've seen over and over. A bunch of vapid college kids are going to spend a weekend in a cabin, where they'll probably get hacked up... big freaking deal, right? But all of that is a smokescreen, much like the titular cabin itself. InFrom the title, description, and most of the footage you've probably seen, The Cabin in the Woods looks like the same awful, recycled horror film you've seen over and over. A bunch of vapid college kids are going to spend a weekend in a cabin, where they'll probably get hacked up... big freaking deal, right? But all of that is a smokescreen, much like the titular cabin itself. In reality, this movie is meta-horror: it's a horror film about why horror films suck. It's also a fantastic dark comedy. You don't want to miss this film. Expand
  36. Feb 10, 2013
    The Cabin in the Woods is absolutely absurd! It twists and turns multiple times throughout its short running time, borrowing heavily from a variety of films in the horror genre (and other genres as well), but under the sure direction and brilliant screenplay of Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, this film is a complete breathe of fresh air in a world of doomed horror movies.
  37. Jan 23, 2013
    Not exactly a horror movie, but more of a tribute to the horror classics, the Cabin in the Woods presents an original plot with literally TONS of references to cult horror classics and even some of the video games (Will you spot the Boomer, Hunter, Tank and the Witch from Left 4 Dead?) Can't describe the plot without spoiling it, you just have to see it for yourself, but I guarantee theNot exactly a horror movie, but more of a tribute to the horror classics, the Cabin in the Woods presents an original plot with literally TONS of references to cult horror classics and even some of the video games (Will you spot the Boomer, Hunter, Tank and the Witch from Left 4 Dead?) Can't describe the plot without spoiling it, you just have to see it for yourself, but I guarantee the twists (and boy there are many of them) will be unexpected. The only thing is that the movie isn't exactly scary, which doesn't make it any less entertaining. A must-watch for anyone, especially the horror fans. Expand
  38. Jan 19, 2013
    One of the many good things in this movie was the fact that not only the writers of horror movies do bad things to their victims but also and many times much worse to their evil monsters. thumbs up...
  39. Jan 19, 2013
    A fiendishly clever "The Cabin in the Woods," a deceivingly insightful horror film that elicits just as many knowing chuckles as horrified gasps. Five teenagers head off for a weekend at a secluded cabin in the woods and they find an odd assortment of relics, but when one of the women, Dana (Kristen Connolly), reads from a book she awakens a family of deadly zombie killers. There's farA fiendishly clever "The Cabin in the Woods," a deceivingly insightful horror film that elicits just as many knowing chuckles as horrified gasps. Five teenagers head off for a weekend at a secluded cabin in the woods and they find an odd assortment of relics, but when one of the women, Dana (Kristen Connolly), reads from a book she awakens a family of deadly zombie killers. There's far more going on however than meets the eye as the five campers are all under observation. This is no ordinary cabin in the woods, but actually a set for a diabolical scientific experiment. Beneath the cabin is a basement, and beneath that is a vast modern laboratory headed by technology geeks (Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford) who turn dials, adjust levers and monitor every second on a bank of TV monitors. Goddard also takes on directing responsibilities, and his feature film debut demonstrates a keen eye for various genres, all incorporated seamlessly into this film. Laughter and satire are always close by, and I can't recall another film that's remotely close to its offering of thrills, spills and laughter. There are plenty of moments where you're kept on the edge of your seat, with surprising twists and turns popping up every now and then. Screenwriters Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard take the quintessential horror film ensemble of characters, and ridiculous scenarios and then inject a dose logical rationale, keeping it thoroughly entertaining. The idea of free will and our decision making process as people is explored. Do horror characters make choices because of the requirements of the genre, or because of their own decisions? This is not a perfect film by any means, but its's exciting because it ventures so far off the map for your typical horror film. The movie becomes kind of a greatest hits collection of horror movie techniques and clichés; twisting them around, while poking fun at them simultaneously. In a day and age where everything is a remake or a reboot, how refreshing to enjoy something completely innovative, and executed with great skill. Highly recommended and requires multiple viewings. Expand
  40. Jan 9, 2013
    This film is nothing short of amazing and easily my favourite film of all-time! With twists & turns at every corner it was one hell of a ride to watch the first time and I'm still enjoying it now (3 times I've seen it). Lead by a great cast and with one heck of a storyline I would find it hard to find a Horror fan that didn't enjoy this film. The best thing about it is its such an originalThis film is nothing short of amazing and easily my favourite film of all-time! With twists & turns at every corner it was one hell of a ride to watch the first time and I'm still enjoying it now (3 times I've seen it). Lead by a great cast and with one heck of a storyline I would find it hard to find a Horror fan that didn't enjoy this film. The best thing about it is its such an original idea that hasn't been done and yes it had one hell of an ending! The best film there is, enough said! Expand
  41. Jan 5, 2013
    The "Cabin in the Wood" never loses any momentum throughout the whole movie. There are many main points that connect very well. The only thing I don't really like is the killing scenes, it looks kind of unrealistic. But the plot is fantastic.
  42. Dec 30, 2012
    This is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. Once I saw it in theaters I knew that I was going to buy it once it came out on blu-ray! The last 30 minutes is literally epic! If you haven't seen it, do yourselves a favor and watch it.
  43. Dec 27, 2012
    This movie was a great satire on modern horror. If you legitimately enjoy slashers and are looking for more of the same, this isn't the movie for you. It's a spoof, and judging it based on jump-scares and nail-biting suspense is like rating a romantic comedy on gore.
  44. Dec 26, 2012
    Having re watched the trailer after the film, the it does pretty much give away what the film is really about and make the twists a lot less surprising. However it is a very good, if surprisingly simple story. It sets up a very weird situation and actually explains WTF is going on by the end, which most films wouldn't. Just don't watch the trailers if you haven't already.
  45. Dec 25, 2012
    If you think that the Cabin in the Woods is just like any other typical slasher/horror film, then you are completely wrong. I thought the same before watching it and it totally proved me wrong and I'm really glad that it did. First of all, I appreciate the great work done by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, they have made something so unique and fresh that you start wondering that why didIf you think that the Cabin in the Woods is just like any other typical slasher/horror film, then you are completely wrong. I thought the same before watching it and it totally proved me wrong and I'm really glad that it did. First of all, I appreciate the great work done by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, they have made something so unique and fresh that you start wondering that why did nobody ever think of it before. The writing is great, performances are good (just the right amount of what you need in a horror film). The storyline is brilliantly incorporated in the genre, the rituals and the sacrifices to keep the Gods happy. The dark humor element is fantastic, really made me laugh at times. The monsters are horrific. I read some reviews by people who are complaining that the film is stupid and terrible. When a typical horror film is made, they complain and when a fresh and original idea is penned into a film, they still complain. Those people can never learn to appreciate the good work. Most of the people who liked the movie also think that the ending sucked, it should have been something else, but that's where the writing of Goddard and Whedon comes in. They knew we would be expecting and predicting the typical ending but they made a daring move by making a fine climax. Not only the climax, the entire film is fine, I have never watched anything like this before and for that, I thank Whedon and Goddard's imagination. If you are a real fan of horror/slasher films and are fed up of watching all those same and predictable ones over and over again, then this film is an absolute treat for you. The Cabin in the Woods is definitely one of the best horror films of 2012 and a rebirth of horror genre. Expand
  46. Dec 14, 2012
    Going into this movie, I had no clue what to expect. I had not seen any trailers or reviews. I knew absolutely nothing about it. Once I saw Joss Whedon's name on it, I got really curious. The first hour or so the movie more or less plays out like EVERY slasher movie that came before it. But as the second half of the movie takes over the real story leaps forward and HOLY S*** is it great.Going into this movie, I had no clue what to expect. I had not seen any trailers or reviews. I knew absolutely nothing about it. Once I saw Joss Whedon's name on it, I got really curious. The first hour or so the movie more or less plays out like EVERY slasher movie that came before it. But as the second half of the movie takes over the real story leaps forward and HOLY S*** is it great. This movie just surprised the hell out of me. Great writing, intentionally generic (but likable) characters, fantastic FX. While it isn't a Horror-Horror but more accurately a parody of a Horror that knows what it is and plays with that as much as it can. It's been a really long time since I've seen a movie like this and I say thank you Mr. Whedon for giving me such a wonderfully entertaining movie. Expand
  47. Dec 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quite possibly one of my favorite horror films of all-time and not for the sheer scares or thrills, but for the dialogue and smart plot twists on the genre. Any film that ends with an angry god rising up from the Earth and Nine Inch Nails' "Last" blasting at your eardrums is a very big win in my book. Expand
  48. Dec 4, 2012
    part horror part comedy is what The Cabin in the wood tries to be.the horror was an emotion of fearing the unknown that lies beyond human knowledge while the comedy is a satire on the young generation that was depicted with the killing of typical american teenager. either horror or comedy,director Drew Goddard alongside Joss Whedon have crafted one of the most weird,twisted,and mindpart horror part comedy is what The Cabin in the wood tries to be.the horror was an emotion of fearing the unknown that lies beyond human knowledge while the comedy is a satire on the young generation that was depicted with the killing of typical american teenager. either horror or comedy,director Drew Goddard alongside Joss Whedon have crafted one of the most weird,twisted,and mind altering horror movie in recent years. it is a horror movie that surely will become a cult in years to come. Expand
  49. Nov 19, 2012
    Cabin in the Woods is a uniquely crafted dark horror comedy that is writer Josh Whedon's homage to classic slasher flicks. With an astoundingly funny vein of dark comedy running through the entire film, this film sets itself apart as a treatise of the horror genre, something that Scream accomplished a decade previously but Cabin in the Woods elevates to another level.
  50. Nov 18, 2012
    Maybe not the best horror film ever, but certainly the most and ingenious one. The perfect blend of pitch black comedy and horror executed to perfection.
  51. Nov 16, 2012
    Oh how advertising can absolutely ruin your excitement to see a film. Being marketed as a generic, run-of-the-mill horror film is the worst thing that can happen to you from a critical standpoint, but from a commercial point of view, there
  52. Nov 12, 2012
    Had benefit of watching this without any knowledge of what it actually was. Brilliant take on the genre with quite a few laugh out loud moments. Well worth the time and money.
  53. Nov 11, 2012
    Cabin in the woods is a gory horror flick. The special effects are fantastic. More importantly Cabin in the woods is one of the most unique and interesting horror movie concepts I've seen in the last five years. Don't pass this movie up!
  54. Nov 5, 2012
    Whedon and Goddard switch it up three or four times before the shocking climax but never lose their exhilarating pace. It's funny, sexy, and scary as hell. It's also one of the best horror films of the past twenty years.
  55. Oct 31, 2012
    Great movie
    Wether or not its great horro movie will differ according to personal taste.
    I loved it.
    Dramaturgical it is brilliant.
    You can watch it as a horror if you are prepared to be more entertained then scared
  56. Oct 23, 2012
    A well made slasher & Splatter movie, which pays homage to the horror genre with some nice twists and turns. The Cabin in the Woods retains the same high quality expected of a Joss Whedon production.
  57. Oct 21, 2012
    This is far from the cliche horror movie. There is actually a sense of brilliance in this film. With a typical horror film start, the original finds its way to the top as it is filled with surprises and plot twists. I'd recommend it for it's cleverness and production.
  58. Oct 13, 2012
    The correct attitude to enter this movie with is the idea that it is a horror movie.

The correct knowledge to EXIT this movie with is the knowledge that it is NOT a horror movie, but rather a deconstruction of the genre.

The Cabin in the Woods is not a horror movie, but it sets itself up to pretend to be one. Instead, it is a wonderful black comedy that criticizes horror movie tropes.
  59. Oct 8, 2012
    This is what we call a original and entirely different attempt.Its a great horror movie.
    Funny and horrifying at same time.
    I didn't get to watch a decent horror movie through months but then came this strange and innovative scripted slasher film.i really enjoyed it. when the movie started i was like" What the hell is going on ?" but going through movie i got everything. really good
    Funny and horrifying at same time.
    when the movie started i was like" What the hell is going on ?"
    but going through movie i got everything.
    really good concept.Movie goes through different aspects. spectacular work with the cinematography ,music,editing and performances of all the actors and not to forget splendid visuals.
    Especially Fran Kranz and Kristen Connolly acted so well.
    Overall,its a modern type original,clever,creatively made and well crafted gore-fest flick with funny elements with something new to watch.
  60. Oct 5, 2012
    Well, finally a good horror! Good horrors come so infrequently, I always wonder if they're actually good, or they seem disproportionately better because the rest are crap. Well, that is no question with "Cabin" -- simply put, it is a very good horror film. It has a great screenplay and it actually works with tons of horror film stereotypes which make it even better. It is actually quiteWell, finally a good horror! Good horrors come so infrequently, I always wonder if they're actually good, or they seem disproportionately better because the rest are crap. Well, that is no question with "Cabin" -- simply put, it is a very good horror film. It has a great screenplay and it actually works with tons of horror film stereotypes which make it even better. It is actually quite funny at times and it practically satirises the whole genre somewhat. There are quite a few thrills and scares, but ultimately, I did not get frightened too often. That was my biggest criticism of the film, also. On the other hand, it kept me constantly engaged because of the unexpected twists and turns that it would take. So, by no means as scary as "Drag me to hell" can be, but it for sure is as engaging, interesting and funny. Very good stuff! Expand
  61. Oct 2, 2012
    Although at times it suffers from cheesy dialogue, The Cabin in the Woods is easily on the best horror films of our time, poking fun at the cliches of horror, while being pretty scary ,as at least one of your greatest fears appears, in one of the best films of 2012.
  62. Oct 1, 2012
    The only things I didn't like about this movie were the title and the guy who played the stoner. Other then that, It was a pretty good film that mixed horror and comedy rather well. Definently worth checking out.
  63. Sep 25, 2012
    This movie has been the best I have seen in years! You got all emotions in one film! You got fear, thrill, suspense, gory, comedy, romance, sexual, nudity all in one film. And that weird feeling that you get once in a while "what the hell am am I watching" However, what makes the movie really nice that in never thorough out the movie looses its seriousness. It keeps a real theme all theThis movie has been the best I have seen in years! You got all emotions in one film! You got fear, thrill, suspense, gory, comedy, romance, sexual, nudity all in one film. And that weird feeling that you get once in a while "what the hell am am I watching" However, what makes the movie really nice that in never thorough out the movie looses its seriousness. It keeps a real theme all the way. Even tho its meant as a comedy. I wont lie, this movie is not for every one. When I first saw it, I wasn't it sure if I was suppose to laugh or get scared. Anyway, defiantly a must watch movie. Best part you got the pot head, the extremely hot Blondie`s with her boobs character, with the monsters, zombies and lost of blood. pop some popcorn and go to red box! And the best part, I mean, you got all these different seance from monstrosity to ghosts, to technology, to special effects, this is not a cheap underground movie, The producers really deserve some credit on the graphics and audio! great movie, cant say any more! Expand
  64. Sep 24, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods is some genre-busting, fan boy-pleasing, energetic stuff, that resonates in the horror fan in all of us to deliver some of the funniest criticisms, and celebrations, of the genre to date. The overall tone of the film is inconsistent, but that's also a compliment - the movie is so ambitious that it spins way out of control, far beyond the limitations of any standardThe Cabin in the Woods is some genre-busting, fan boy-pleasing, energetic stuff, that resonates in the horror fan in all of us to deliver some of the funniest criticisms, and celebrations, of the genre to date. The overall tone of the film is inconsistent, but that's also a compliment - the movie is so ambitious that it spins way out of control, far beyond the limitations of any standard horror movie to become this meta-beast. Any horror movie fan can see that this film has been made with a gleeful love of the genre, flaws and all, and the final half-hour delivers one of the greatest visually spectacular finales I have seen all year (even compared to that of another Joss Whedon project, The Avengers). The movie is so funny, weird, and just plain awesome that I can't really recommend it any higher to the average horror movie fan, but dissenting voices should probably stay away. This whole thing will come off as ridiculous to them. Expand
  65. Sep 23, 2012
    The cabin in the woods, a horror classic. This movie is good, entertaining, and a story that leaves you with your mouth open. It is a film in which you take confidence with the characters and enjoy seeing it a lot. It will happen very fast.
  66. Sep 23, 2012
    If you've seen the trailers, chances are this movie came across as formulaic, cliche, and painfully predictable. After having seen the it, I can only think that they did this intentionally so that you'd be that much more surprised when you actually saw it. If you go to this to see a run of the mill slasher with cut and paste characters, your world is going to be thoroughly rocked. ButIf you've seen the trailers, chances are this movie came across as formulaic, cliche, and painfully predictable. After having seen the it, I can only think that they did this intentionally so that you'd be that much more surprised when you actually saw it. If you go to this to see a run of the mill slasher with cut and paste characters, your world is going to be thoroughly rocked. But since you know that a twist is coming (even though I've done my best not to spoil it) maybe you should take your friends to see it and don't give them any heads up. Trust me, they'll thank you afterwards.

This movie is anything but generic, and feels like a giant satire of all horror movies before it, but horror movie fans won't be disappointed for lack of horror if they go see this looking for viscera and terror. The movie contains a healthy amount of both, but with surprising success it also tosses comedy into the mix (although admittedly it is pretty dark comedy). Characters that at first glance appear to be bland stereotypes end up being extremely well developed and likable, and even the painfully generic plot and setting end up taking on an almost unreal depth.

this movie points and ridicules every other horny teenager murderbox movie that exists, while at the same time elevating them far above their previous scope and making them seem more dramatic. Honestly I really can't express exactly why this movie is so amazing without spoiling it for people, so all I can say is have a little faith and give it a shot. It's on redbox now, is a dollar really that much to risk? Trust me, this is a movie you don't want to miss (because if your friends want to talk about it around you, they're going to hate you for not having seen it)
  67. Sep 19, 2012
    The only reason this movie was unpopular was because they couldn't really give anything away in the trailers. It is such a great, interesting, new twist on horror movies. This is the first of 2 hits written by Joss Whedon, the second being The Avengers, and I'm eager to see what's next. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't say anything. If you see it without knowing much, thenThe only reason this movie was unpopular was because they couldn't really give anything away in the trailers. It is such a great, interesting, new twist on horror movies. This is the first of 2 hits written by Joss Whedon, the second being The Avengers, and I'm eager to see what's next. I don't want to give anything away, so I won't say anything. If you see it without knowing much, then you'll have a much better film experience. This movie is just all around fantastic, and you HAVE to see this movie. Even if you don't like horror movies, you'll still find this movie interesting. Expand
  68. Sep 19, 2012
    This movie is a breath of fresh air for the horror genre. And holy **** I want that transformable coffee mug / bong that the stoner character used... too bad that prototype cost $5000 to make 0_o
  69. Sep 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An enjoyable, clever and pretty original movie, with good humour. A little too heavy handed at times.

The film is very clever and satirises, not only horror films, but horror film viewers. Though some of the film's writing isn't as good as it tries to be. Despite the movie parodying cliché, cheesy movies. It is a pity that in order to parody this, it had to become one, at least for the first half. The only thing that kept my interest was the scientist/technician comedic scenes, because once I realised the horror was meant to be cliché I was just waiting for people to die and get it over with, like any other cliché movie.

This film makes out the stoner dude as though it's never happened before. Otherwise the 'gods' would've become angry with the sacrifices before. There's been many 'moronic stoner dudes' in horror films, yet this one is immune because weed immunises against the chemicals they induce?

I'd still recommend the movie, it's probably on par with Scream. It's no Evil Dead though.
  70. Sep 6, 2012
    The end of this movie makes it all worthwhile. It is smart and the way it plays out actually rewrites every other horror movie you've seen before! Quite fresh!
  71. Sep 3, 2012
    This was a good movie. I think one of the writers was Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Serenity fame, and this film has that same sort of polish and quality as those classics. As so many other commentators have said, you can't really say much without giving away the plot, so I won't. Its a clever, scary, funny movie. Lots of side references to other movies for those who like that sort of thing.This was a good movie. I think one of the writers was Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Serenity fame, and this film has that same sort of polish and quality as those classics. As so many other commentators have said, you can't really say much without giving away the plot, so I won't. Its a clever, scary, funny movie. Lots of side references to other movies for those who like that sort of thing. What I will say though is don't be surprised if you can make a good guess at the overall plot quite early on into the movie. To me that doesn't matter, its a great movie, and one I'll watch several times. Expand
  72. Aug 28, 2012
    The Cabin In The Woods is strange, funny and brilliant. I've never watched movie like this before. Special thanks to hilarious duo Jenkins - Whitford, notes for Jenkins's performance, it's the most hilarious performance I've ever seen this year.
  73. Aug 27, 2012
    Great year for Joss Whedon. While this film was shelved for a number of years, The Cabin in the Woods were released in 2012, just before The Avengers was released. It's typical Whedon, with a wise cracking, self referential script, something we have seen him doing for the past decade or so, unleashed to the public. As a horror film it works, but it is a 'self referential' commentary onGreat year for Joss Whedon. While this film was shelved for a number of years, The Cabin in the Woods were released in 2012, just before The Avengers was released. It's typical Whedon, with a wise cracking, self referential script, something we have seen him doing for the past decade or so, unleashed to the public. As a horror film it works, but it is a 'self referential' commentary on the genre itself. A cult classic. Expand
  74. Aug 26, 2012
    Possibly the best horror movie in years, THE CABIN IN THE WOODS is frequently funny, highly original and ridiculously awesome! In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with this film. In fact, it is a horror fan's dream.
  75. Aug 25, 2012
    I went and saw this at the cinema within a week of release read no reviews just watched all the trailers and I was incredibly hyped for the film as I thought it was going to be bloody and hilarious. I was not disappointed. Marty and Dana were the best characters in the film. The Idea behind the film is simple. The creationary mind of Whedon and Goddard truly strikes again. I can't say muchI went and saw this at the cinema within a week of release read no reviews just watched all the trailers and I was incredibly hyped for the film as I thought it was going to be bloody and hilarious. I was not disappointed. Marty and Dana were the best characters in the film. The Idea behind the film is simple. The creationary mind of Whedon and Goddard truly strikes again. I can't say much more without using Spoilers but It is a film definitely worth seeing. Expand
  76. Aug 22, 2012
    The title kind of discourage me to watch it, i would have thought this movie would just be a murder / killing type, but i was wrong after i found out that Joss Whedon was directing the movie and i gave it a go. I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end of the movie. The storyline was really surprising and the ending was unexpected.
  77. Aug 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not amazing ... but definitely not bad.

With a core idea which is quite innovative and awesome the film does tend to go a bit all over the place from the middle on and the character's "feats" are non-existent ("I actually rooting for this girl, she's got such heart", while in fact she hadn't done anything but run once or twice up to that point) and the acting a mediocre at best (though, bad acting is kinda mandatory in the horror genre isn't it).

With that being said, it IS a fun watch and to the fans of the genre it's a step up from what's been released these last few years.

What can I say, if you like horror movies, you'll enjoy it to some extent, but I still think they went a bit overboard as the film goes along, thus losing the grittiness that I personally like to have in my horror flics, going a bit too flashy with the special effects and a tad too many "baddies". You usually want to have your one Freddy Krueger or one Texas Massacre family to focus on, throwing all of them, including the kitchen sink (and a merman) in there at the end was a bit too "Michael Bay-esque" for my liking.

But hey, watch it. It's good.
  78. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie is just f*cking awesome! It plays with the classic horror conventions and does it with and absolute wicked sense of humor. Some scenes in this film that can be considered iconic and this film wil certainly get a deserved high ranking among the cult classics. This is one you HAVE to see!
  79. Aug 10, 2012
    Be forewarned, there's a lot of blood and severed bod parts in this one... "The Cabin in the Woods" mixes humor and gore well to put a fresh, if not twisted, take on the prototypical slasher movie.
  80. Jul 22, 2012
    ust saw Cabin in the Woods. Wow. What a movie. What can I say about Cabin in the Woods? Well not much really. This movie is so packed to the brim with things that can so easily be spoiled that I suggest you go see this movie RIGHT NOW! Avoid all the amazing reviews its been getting, avoid the trailers, avoid the TV spots and most of all AVOID ALL DISCUSSIONS WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEENust saw Cabin in the Woods. Wow. What a movie. What can I say about Cabin in the Woods? Well not much really. This movie is so packed to the brim with things that can so easily be spoiled that I suggest you go see this movie RIGHT NOW! Avoid all the amazing reviews its been getting, avoid the trailers, avoid the TV spots and most of all AVOID ALL DISCUSSIONS WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN IT!!!!! I wont get into all the details on why this movie is brilliant but I will say that it is one of the most original and just bat **** crazy movies I have ever seen. Just go into this movie expecting an extremely fun horror/comedy and you will have an amazing time. CABIN IN THE WOODS FTW!!!!!!!!!!

I'm seeing a lot of people claiming Cabin in the Woods is the worst movie ever. First of all, that is a bold faced lie. It is no where near the worst movie ever. Secondly, I'm thinking people are going into this expecting this to be a straight up horror slasher movie in the vein of Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. DO NOT GO INTO THIS MOVIE THINKING THAT!!!!!! Like I said in my previous post, Go in to this movie expecting a really fun and just bat **** crazy movie. Actually, just go into it not knowing what to expect. Have an open mind and all shall be well.
  81. Jul 18, 2012
    "Cabin in the Woods" is like a Halley's Comet. You're only gonna see it once, and you're never gonna see anything like it again your whole life.
  82. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Cabin in the Woods is directed by Drew Goddard and this is his directorial debut. There Expand
  83. Jun 30, 2012
    VERY refreshing film. The characters have been done before, but so what? This film has every horror film creature known to man. I only wish this was a TV show instead of a film.
  84. Jun 28, 2012
    A film that's a hybrid of The Evil Dead and The Truman Show is novel to say the least. For the most part, the film is engaging, funny and scary, and is incredibly playful in its deconstruction of horror conventions, particularly those that were dominant in the 1970s and 80s. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford make a great comedy double act as a pair of senior technicians working for aA film that's a hybrid of The Evil Dead and The Truman Show is novel to say the least. For the most part, the film is engaging, funny and scary, and is incredibly playful in its deconstruction of horror conventions, particularly those that were dominant in the 1970s and 80s. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford make a great comedy double act as a pair of senior technicians working for a company that simulates horror movie scenarios as part of a sinister grand plan. The group of young adults who take an ill-advised trip to an isolated cabin in the woods are all of a certain character archetype, a fact that becomes particularly relevant in the finale, but are all given a bit of a twist by writer/producer Joss Whedon ( the jock and his hot girlfriend played by Chris Hemsworth and Anna Hutchinson, for instance, actually have brains). Kristen Connolly's Dana is a decent and empathetic primary protagonist, but the real casting highlight is Fran Kranz, who completely steals the show as one of the great all-time movie stoners Marty, whose unique drug-addled world logic not only aids in its survival, but provides some of the film's best jokes. Drew Goddard has his name on the credits as the sole director, and in that role he appears skilled, but Joss Whedon's fingerprints are all over the film, and you have to wonder just how much Whedon allowed Goddard to do on set. Whedon's writing is funny and layered as usual, and the film as a whole has at least as much vigour and sense of fun as his earlier projects. Some astute genre revisionism and deconstruction and the sheer watchability of most of the film is nearly ruined in its final act. The last half hour is incredibly over-the-top and dumb, bordering on moronic, and threatens to de-value all the good that has come before. Here Whedon and Goddard look like they're abandoning their convictions for what their film should be, and pandering to modern blockbuster viewers and their incessant craving for elaborate action sequences and expensive special effects. The visuals in this portion of the film are terrific, but everything below the surface of the film becomes a little hard to make out at this point. The final revelation of the film is also incredibly disappointing, and a rare example of lazy writing by Whedon. If Whedon and Goddard had just stuck to their guns and produced a finale worthy of the intelligence, creativity and perfect pacing of the rest of the film, then The Cabin in the Woods might have been a classic of postmodern cinema. It's still good, don't get me wrong, and the vast majority of viewers, particularly avid horror nuts and Whedon fans will get a lot out of it, but Joss "The Boss" did stumble at the last hurdle trying to prove himself talented at all styles of filmmaking (like he needed to!) Expand
  85. Jun 13, 2012
    This is the most fun I have had watching a thriller/horror film in as long as I can remember. I don't like the genre of horror much. I think it's generally predicable, and forced. This film, however, took me for a trip. Watching stupid characters get killed is fun and all, but when the underlying plot of this film is exposed in its latter half it really grabbed a hold of my attention. IThis is the most fun I have had watching a thriller/horror film in as long as I can remember. I don't like the genre of horror much. I think it's generally predicable, and forced. This film, however, took me for a trip. Watching stupid characters get killed is fun and all, but when the underlying plot of this film is exposed in its latter half it really grabbed a hold of my attention. I haven't seen anything like this before. It twists and turns all over the place, and left me in a gleeful state. Is it scary? No. Is it enjoyable? Decidedly yes! I want to watch it again in the near future with lots of popcorn and a girl to cuddle with. Expand
  86. Jun 10, 2012
    This is a very good comedy movie, even more so because I walked in expecting a horror flick. The two greatest accomplishments of this movie would have to be their transitions, which are absolutely amazing, and their spin on the idea of our cookie cutter horror movies. I have recommended it to multiple people as a comedy and they loved it, so I am going to recommend it to y'all.
  87. Jun 8, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods WOW it was a great film the actors and actresses are great the writers the directors,producers and everyone who was involved , The film has a understanding story im not going to give it away for anyone who has not seen it. This gore filled film is amazing definitely recommend it to anyone it also made me laugh a few times it does have a comedy side to it too but thisThe Cabin in the Woods WOW it was a great film the actors and actresses are great the writers the directors,producers and everyone who was involved , The film has a understanding story im not going to give it away for anyone who has not seen it. This gore filled film is amazing definitely recommend it to anyone it also made me laugh a few times it does have a comedy side to it too but this movie is amazing Expand
  88. Jun 8, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods will undoubtedly find its way into the hearts of horror fans everywhere. The plot follows five friends who decide to venture to the titular cabin. These characters fall into stereotypical categories: the bimbo (Hutchinson), the stoner (Kranz), the jock (Hemsworth), the smart guy (Williams) and the virgin (Connolly). Of course, these are not the only clichesThe Cabin in the Woods will undoubtedly find its way into the hearts of horror fans everywhere. The plot follows five friends who decide to venture to the titular cabin. These characters fall into stereotypical categories: the bimbo (Hutchinson), the stoner (Kranz), the jock (Hemsworth), the smart guy (Williams) and the virgin (Connolly). Of course, these are not the only cliches exploited. Upon arriving at a seemingly abandoned gas station, the group manages to insult the creepy, Confederate flag-waving owner. Meanwhile the cabin itself is as foreboding as any, but nobody (save the pothead) really minds or even notices. When the basement trap door suddenly swings open, the group decides to see what might be down there. Etc, etc. Meanwhile, a team of scientists in an underground laboratory closely watches every move the characters make. To go on further might ruin some of the surprises that await. The Cabin in the Woods takes several twists and turns over the course of its ninety-plus minutes. The film provides a few scares, but excels mainly in delivering laughs while skewering conventions. Writers Goddard (who also directed) and Whedon know their way around the genre and exactly how to send it up. Credit must also go to their superb cast, who fit their characters perfectly and find plenty of grounds from which to mine humor. The cherry on top comes in the form of an intelligent and well-observed metaphor. All in all most horror fans should be pleased more than pleased with The Cabin in the Woods. Some may be thrown by the approach, particularly those who enjoy more straightforward fare. Audiences who stick through to the end will likely find themselves having a good time. Expand
  89. Jun 3, 2012
    Funny And Scary.. This Is In The Writing Style Of Zombieland..
    Amazing Movie!
    For Once A Horror Movie Didn't Feel Rushed!
  90. May 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The final girl, archetypally speaking, needs to be a virgin, somebody cut from the same cloth as Laurie Strode, the last babysitter standing in John Carpenter's Halloween. Since the 1979 thriller served as the blueprint for the modern horror film, Laurie is long-held by aficionados to be the gold standard, as final girls go. Not for nothing, in The Cabin in the Woods, is one of the characters named Sitterson, a moviemaking hack who works in a federal studio which mass-produces, in essence, snuff films, disguised as escapist fun for the general public. It's a franchise that, on the surface, resembles The Evil Dead movies. Sam Raimi, however, was a maverick, working with a different paradigm; he didn't codify women into virgins and whores, so in a sense, The Cabin in the Woods, set-ups aside, is not really paying homage to the trilogy, because the blood from the ritual killings wouldn't know where to flow, since the functionality of the machine that supplies the hieroglyphs with its gory outline, is predicated on filmic stereotypes(the jock, the brain, etc...). Raimi's characters would be too nondescript for the beast, who needs satiation from stock teenage plasma, a byproduct of reductionist storytelling. The beast has no use for a final man. Bruce Campbell always survives. In the film production-within-the-film, the recycled story, during most of its running time, goes according to plan: the virgin's friends die, leaving Dana alone to kill the redneck zombies. Similar to Laurie's fate at the hands of Michael Myers, a fate interrupted by some last-second heroics performed by Dr. Loomis, who repeatedly shoots the unofficial zombie(Michael won't die), Dana's survival is also dependent on man's preeminence as the sex best-equipped for a violent confrontation, out on the dock by the lake, when the final girl meets her match. Such a chivalrous act runs contrary to the notion that the final girl is, more or less, a man in drag, or in other words, a woman made masculine by default; her femininity imposed upon by a body count, therefore making Dana, supposedly, an equal match for the homicidal maniac. While the final girl, as it is written in her backstory, never experienced penetration, in a sexual sense, ironically, she has no problem doing the penetrating, with an arsenal of weapons, which is the case with Laurie, who uses a knitting needle, a wire hanger, and finally, a knife against her attacker. Dana, on the verge of being choked to death, is left with nothing but her bare hands to fend off the zombie. It's a fight whose one-sidedness serves as a tell-tale sign about her authenticity as final girl material. Arguably, Dana is a bigger whore than Jules, since prior to the road trip, back at the dormitory, the narrative's exposition clearly states that the designated good girl experienced a number of sexual encounters with her college professor. On the other hand, the relationship between Jules and Curt is never clearly delineated as being a consummated one. In the audio commentary for Halloween, Jamie Lee Curtis, an ex-cheerleader, admits that she was more like Lynda and Annie than the virginal Laurie. Knowingly, in The Cabin in the Woods, The Director says, "You work with what you have," so like Carpenter's leading lady, Dana is forced to play against type, and gets her hymen back, for the time being, while the cameras roll. But when Marty comes to her rescue, the jig is up, as it pertains to Dana's put-upon innocence, because, as aforementioned, the final girl adopts the masculine role, yet here comes "the fool", doing a woman's work. What the film does is reimagine other horror films as meta-narratives, except in those cases, the characters never discover the truth about the artifice of their world, as Marty does, just like another fool, Truman Burbank in Peter Weir's The Truman Show, a horror film in its own right. As for Halloween, Curtis(like the actress playing Dana), it now seems, was mistakenly chosen to play Laurie. The presumed virgin, in a sequence where she and her girlfriends walk home from school, Laurie reveals her true self, in which both the final girl and Lynda transgress, arriving at the front door of their homes by cutting across their lawns, whereas Annie(trying to be a bad girl like Lynda) stays off the grass, and uses the walkway. Whereas Lynda has sex, Annie is seen only talking about it. When she takes off her blouse, it's because the babysitter spilled butter on it. Michael gets the wrong idea about her. Laurie was impure, because Curtis had sex, just like the real Dana. Curtis should have been the whore(Lynda), the dumb blonde. A smart girl wouldn't throw away her knife away, twice. In Rear Window, Lisa says, "...you'd think we could be a little bit happy the poor woman is alive and well." When Dana escapes the diegesis, unlike Raymond Burr in the Hitchc*ck film, she gets her revenge not on the voyeur, but the film itself. Expand
  91. May 29, 2012
    Cabin was quite enjoyable - not particularly frightening...more like jump-in-your-face startling. It was a well done lampoon of cheesy horror flicks, but with a twist. Worth the $8.
  92. May 26, 2012
    Truly one of the greatest horror films of the past few years. The originality gave new meaning to the future of horror. The humor struck perfectly with a mix that made you feel sick for laughing, yet pleased to be a part. Must see horror of 2012!

J-ROD
  93. May 24, 2012
    I will never look at a horror movie the same way again. This film blew my mind. It was funny, it had a great story, and it put an amazing twist on a genre that has for too long followed the same ridiculous formula. I cannot recommend this movie enough. My only complaint is the acting by the teenagers was kinda bad (especially Fran Kranz), but Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford were fantastic.
  94. May 22, 2012
    Cabin in the woods was the best movie ever made. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. I guess the very very very end coulda been better but End of story. End of story. End ofCabin in the woods was the best movie ever made. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. I guess the very very very end coulda been better but End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. Expand
  95. May 20, 2012
    This film was an interesting mash up. Joss Whedon, the creator of Firefly and Buffy gives his input into the story as well as the director of Cloverfield and countless Lost episodes, Drew Goddard, both make this film worth watching. At first, you are turned on your ear. Is this really a horror movie? I think not. The name of the game is simple: four teens, the woods, killers. ThroughoutThis film was an interesting mash up. Joss Whedon, the creator of Firefly and Buffy gives his input into the story as well as the director of Cloverfield and countless Lost episodes, Drew Goddard, both make this film worth watching. At first, you are turned on your ear. Is this really a horror movie? I think not. The name of the game is simple: four teens, the woods, killers. Throughout the film you learn a little bit more, and by the end you are like HOLY S***! Needless to say, not the typical horror film. Watch this movie if you want something originally interesting. Also, this movie is not for the faint of heart. The ending sequence is very gory. Almost campy in the gore with blood spraying this way and that. Otherwise, a great film. Expand
  96. May 18, 2012
    cabin in the woods is insane. insane in the way that it understands what i want to see. the third act especially was one of the most satisfying things i have ever seen on screen. if you love fun, you love cabin in the woods.
  97. May 17, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods works solely on the merit of its humor. It is well written and very funny. People looking for genuine horror will most likely be disappointed, although there are some intense scenes and because the characters are fleshed out and enjoyable you can root for them. Admittedly the ending disappointed me on the first viewing, although on the second I accepted the movieThe Cabin in the Woods works solely on the merit of its humor. It is well written and very funny. People looking for genuine horror will most likely be disappointed, although there are some intense scenes and because the characters are fleshed out and enjoyable you can root for them. Admittedly the ending disappointed me on the first viewing, although on the second I accepted the movie as a comedy and was able to enjoy it fully. All that being said, the movie is not as original as some of its highest praise is suggesting. Feast, a movie from 2006, comes to mind as a horror comedy that identified the cliches in the genre, but succeeded where Cabin in the Woods failed in being funny and qualifying as extreme horror. Still, The Cabin in the Woods is above average and still may be the funniest movie I have seen all year (the banter in the control room between two of the main characters is always gold). You need a sense of humor, and some sense in general when it comes to being genre savvy to enjoy this movie. A must-see for horror fans and horror-comedy fans alike. Expand
  98. May 17, 2012
    An excellent blend of comedy and thriller The Cabin in the Woods has redefined the horror film genre. I have heard many say that this is one of the best horror films in the last 10 years and I believe that they would be mostly right about that. My only critique of that is that the movie is not so much scary as it is clever and well written. As someone who does not really like horror filmsAn excellent blend of comedy and thriller The Cabin in the Woods has redefined the horror film genre. I have heard many say that this is one of the best horror films in the last 10 years and I believe that they would be mostly right about that. My only critique of that is that the movie is not so much scary as it is clever and well written. As someone who does not really like horror films I was pleasantly surprised by this film. One can definitely see the influence of Joss Whedon in the writing. This will likely be in my Top 10 of the year and is worthy of much praise. "Am I on speaker phone?" Odin's Score: 90/100 Expand
  99. May 17, 2012
    The Cabin in the Woods simply oozes brilliance. It deconstructs almost every aspect of modern day horror tropes with such energetic wit. Despite being a little less frightening than I was hoping for, Goddard and Whedon have crafted such an outrageously fun film. Try not to smile. I dare you.
  100. May 15, 2012
    The most interesting horror movie I've seen in a while - a clever premise that is fed to you in parallel with a seemingly traditional teen slasher flick. Saw it twice in theatres; will be buying the DVD.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 16, 2012
    A horror-movie attic sale is, in essence, exactly what Cabin in the Woods is, an attempt to exorcise the genre of its formulaic possession by stuffing the movie full of its most overused and predictable elements - and then dumping them through clever skewering.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Apr 14, 2012
    Because the first narrative is so crushingly generic (which turns out to be the point), most of the amusement derives from trying to figure out what the second one is all about. I'm not sure I ever did, but the climactic one-two punch of special-effects chaos and meta-movie chin stroking should have the fanboys trembling with delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Apr 13, 2012
    I've seen a lot of rip-offs of "The Truman Show" and a lot of rip-offs of "Scream." I guess I have to give credit to The Cabin in the Woods for ripping off both at once.