7.5

1. Apr 28, 2012
    Never has a recent horror film been so purely exhilarating, funny and ultimately entertaining as this. Clever, twisty, and brilliant right from the start to the end. Possibly the best film of 2012 so far, and that's saying something.
  2. Apr 28, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. I'm a big fan of horror movies but i went into this movie not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised by the extent to which they had thought outside the box.
  3. Sep 9, 2012
    Seriously critics? THIS movie is intelligent, brilliant and shocking? Absolutely no! This is just crap. It mixes every stupid idea other horror film makers had in the past years into one. Horrible actors, horrible dialogues and a plot which is extremely unrealistic. They begin with the usual bad horror movie and end up in an unfamiliar scenario which makes you laugh your ass off becauseSeriously critics? THIS movie is intelligent, brilliant and shocking? Absolutely no! This is just crap. It mixes every stupid idea other horror film makers had in the past years into one. Horrible actors, horrible dialogues and a plot which is extremely unrealistic. They begin with the usual bad horror movie and end up in an unfamiliar scenario which makes you laugh your ass off because it's just too silly. One of the worst movies I've seen by far - I can't believe my eyes when I'm reading the critics... Expand
  4. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was not funny enough to be a comedy... and was not scary enough to be a horror movie!
    The movie is an average mixture of those to genres. The characters are all clichés /I know they are supposed to be to some extent), and there is no character development at all. The horror/chase scenes could use some more suspense (They focused on the gore unfortunately). The ending of the movie is not that "shocking" as some critics say.... Nothing we haven't seen before in other horror movie...
  5. Sep 23, 2012
    The cabin in the woods, a horror classic. This movie is good, entertaining, and a story that leaves you with your mouth open. It is a film in which you take confidence with the characters and enjoy seeing it a lot. It will happen very fast.
  6. Feb 17, 2013
    This movie has one of the worst plot lines I've ever seen, it's gimmicky trying to pull in the audience with gruesome deaths that could have been thought up by a 12 year old...OH AND boobs! you like boobs right?,right? well if you want boobs look elsewhere, all the babes in this movie make the walls jealous with their flat chests...Moving on... They break the Immersion that a good horrorThis movie has one of the worst plot lines I've ever seen, it's gimmicky trying to pull in the audience with gruesome deaths that could have been thought up by a 12 year old...OH AND boobs! you like boobs right?,right? well if you want boobs look elsewhere, all the babes in this movie make the walls jealous with their flat chests...Moving on... They break the Immersion that a good horror movie should have too, with mediocre character development, and terribly predictable outcomes when they encounter the hillbilly zombie family...No I you not that is the literal name of the monsters in this film. Now before I get asked, no the acting isn't terrible, but it's not amazing either sometimes even ruining the immersion even further with unbelievably dull reactions and lackluster expression, how am I supposed to be scared or laugh when your characters aren't even petrified. Oh what? you thought that was it?- no. The ending is really unexpected but only because of the stupidity it took the characters to get to such a conclusion. Overall, maybe it might make your girl cuddle up into your wimpy arms once or twice, but other than that, I wouldn't watch this movie if you truly want to have the need to check under your bed and lock your doors before sleeping, like any good horror movie should, It's unbelievable that people are giving it an 8, 9, and EVEN 10 out of 10 for this. I couldn't even tell what genre it was, I thought it was horror; which is why I bought it, but I was never scared. About 20 minutes in I started to think "Oh this must be a comedy!" but I never laughed. Overall a let down, I would severely hesitate and think about it before watching this stain of a movie. Expand
  7. Jul 14, 2014
    The cabin in the woods has great thrills and action. The movie doesn't have a famous cast but the movie
    didn't need one. Sigourney Weaver is even in this movie at the end. Overall this is a terrific horror
    movie with clever twists.
  8. Apr 16, 2012
    The best film since Apocalypto! Masterpiece of 2012. Shocking+Innovative+Scary+Funny. I don't want to add anything else.
    Don't let other to spoil it for you.
  9. Apr 28, 2012
    Cabin in the Woods is an enjoyable film for horror aficionados and horror virgins alike. Although it fails to be particularly scary it is a great romp through the horror genre. Some aspects of it are lacking. Whilst the stereotyping of the characters is necessary, the dialogue often fails to hit home. What could be laugh out loud quips only raise at most a chuckle and often theCabin in the Woods is an enjoyable film for horror aficionados and horror virgins alike. Although it fails to be particularly scary it is a great romp through the horror genre. Some aspects of it are lacking. Whilst the stereotyping of the characters is necessary, the dialogue often fails to hit home. What could be laugh out loud quips only raise at most a chuckle and often the dialogue feels like a rush job, tacked onto the end of what is an accomplished story arc. In addition (and I hate to bring up realism in what is so clearly a fictional film) the main characters appear to be superhuman. Everyone knows that some leeway can be given in horror films on this point, but characters appear to receive near mortal wounds and yet three scenes later are completely restored to full health. Perhaps I'm nit picking but it bothered me more than once. I would have given this a higher score but the two points above detracted enough to stop Cabin in the Woods being a tour de force, instead leaving it more a tour de genre. Expand
  10. Apr 22, 2012
    I watched this movie yesterday and I want to say that this movie is really cool. This movie is really unpredictable and insane. And the jokes, they are awesome.
  11. May 22, 2012
    Cabin in the woods was the best movie ever made. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. I guess the very very very end coulda been better but End of story. End of story. End ofCabin in the woods was the best movie ever made. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. I guess the very very very end coulda been better but End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. End of story. Expand
  12. Feb 27, 2013
    From the title, description, and most of the footage you've probably seen, The Cabin in the Woods looks like the same awful, recycled horror film you've seen over and over. A bunch of vapid college kids are going to spend a weekend in a cabin, where they'll probably get hacked up... big freaking deal, right? But all of that is a smokescreen, much like the titular cabin itself. InFrom the title, description, and most of the footage you've probably seen, The Cabin in the Woods looks like the same awful, recycled horror film you've seen over and over. A bunch of vapid college kids are going to spend a weekend in a cabin, where they'll probably get hacked up... big freaking deal, right? But all of that is a smokescreen, much like the titular cabin itself. In reality, this movie is meta-horror: it's a horror film about why horror films suck. It's also a fantastic dark comedy. You don't want to miss this film. Expand
  13. Dec 30, 2012
    This is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. Once I saw it in theaters I knew that I was going to buy it once it came out on blu-ray! The last 30 minutes is literally epic! If you haven't seen it, do yourselves a favor and watch it.
  14. Apr 24, 2012
    Theres only one word to describe this movie: badass. Its definitely on my top ten list for best movies i've seen, and i'd recommend it to anybody looking for a great movie to see in theaters. I wouldn't call it a horror flick though. It really belongs in the suspense genre.
  15. Oct 13, 2012
    The correct attitude to enter this movie with is the idea that it is a horror movie.

The correct knowledge to EXIT this movie with is the knowledge that it is NOT a horror movie, but rather a deconstruction of the genre.

The Cabin in the Woods is not a horror movie, but it sets itself up to pretend to be one. Instead, it is a wonderful black comedy that criticizes horror movie tropes.
  16. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's basically a weed film. The main male protagonist is a weed head, he survives because he's high, and at the survivors smoke weed. Other than that, it wasn't really all that interesting it reminded me a lot of 13 Ghosts. Expand
  17. Apr 13, 2012
    9 or a 10. hmmm. 10

9 or a 10. hmmm. 10

this movie has it all. purely entertaining. works on multiple levels. should be enjoyed by anybody who enjoys horror movies and, most importantly, has seen some horror movies that they thought were crap. Cabin in the Woods will also be of great interest to people who enjoy movies about movies, bad movies and total campfests.. but this film is much more than just an examination of bad movie tropes. there's a lot going on and ultimately a lot to think about. it's a must see.
  18. Apr 15, 2012
    One of the coolest, freshest, best movies I've seen at the theater in a long, long time. You owe it to yourself to see this film. It's just when you think the movie's going to zig...it zags. Keeps you on your toes all the way until the credits roll.
  19. Apr 25, 2012
    Absolutely loved this movie! I went for Joss Whedon and I was not disappointed. The story was great and kept me guessing, even though I had read some reviews. Acting was good, especially Fran Kranz. It was funny, but this did not cheapen the thrills. I was still jumping occasionally. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford had great chemistry and helped to bring the balance betweenAbsolutely loved this movie! I went for Joss Whedon and I was not disappointed. The story was great and kept me guessing, even though I had read some reviews. Acting was good, especially Fran Kranz. It was funny, but this did not cheapen the thrills. I was still jumping occasionally. Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford had great chemistry and helped to bring the balance between comedy and serious undertones that Joss is known for. I was also impressed by the supporting cast members. All in all, a must see for anyone, even those that hate horror. Expand
  20. Apr 14, 2012
    Loved the movie. It was funny, tense, and intriguing at the same time. Probably the best horror movie I've seen since the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
  21. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw The Cabin in the Woods last night and it was freakin' awesome. I cannot believe Sigourney Weaver was almost at the end of the movie where she was the director behind this fake Survivor-like reality show where they put five friends in a cabin house and all of a sudden, they didn't know that they've been setup by a security camera and everyone is watching for the five who wants to die. Everyone went crazy and I was stunned. I think this is the best horror movie of 2012 this far because it's not a reboot or a remake, but with lots of horrid zombies and gruesome creatures. I think it's paying homage to the Evil Dead and the video game "Resident Evil 2" with the deadly snakes and all the animals that a little lot like zombies. But the movie is awesome, can't wait for "Resident Evil: Retribution" and "Piranha 3DD." Expand
  22. Apr 15, 2012
    I had zero expectations when I walked into this film, I thought, "Generic five friends go out to cabin in in the middle of nowhere, brutally killed by monsters, seen it before." I knew there was some government control going on, but nothing more. The trailer for this movie doesn't capture its true greatness. Joss Wheadon and Drew Goddard did a perfect job of blending humor and horror. TheI had zero expectations when I walked into this film, I thought, "Generic five friends go out to cabin in in the middle of nowhere, brutally killed by monsters, seen it before." I knew there was some government control going on, but nothing more. The trailer for this movie doesn't capture its true greatness. Joss Wheadon and Drew Goddard did a perfect job of blending humor and horror. The funny parts were absolutely hilarious, and the horror scenes were done brilliantly. I wish there were more movies like this. I will gladly see this again... I want the DVD now. Expand
  23. Apr 28, 2012
    A great horror movie, has a few laughs interjected but make no mistake, this is not a parody, it IS a graphic horror movie that has real scares. Very original and beware of spoilers, because the suspense would be ruined, most original horror movie I've seen in years, well acted too.
  24. Aug 27, 2012
    One of the worst horror movies I've ever seen. It's supposed to be all 'cool' because this film is taking the piss out of your standard predictable horror film. The irony is that this is a standard predictable horror film too. 2/10
  25. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie is just f*cking awesome! It plays with the classic horror conventions and does it with and absolute wicked sense of humor. Some scenes in this film that can be considered iconic and this film wil certainly get a deserved high ranking among the cult classics. This is one you HAVE to see!
  26. Jul 18, 2012
    "Cabin in the Woods" is like a Halley's Comet. You're only gonna see it once, and you're never gonna see anything like it again your whole life.
  27. Aug 13, 2013
    this movie was horrible i didn't like it at all and it was the worst thing ive ever seen it was just a complete waste of time the biggest waste of 1 hour and 34 minutes i wish i could have that time back
  28. Nov 21, 2013
    Dumbest movie ever.EPIC FAIL would be just perfect to describe the nature of the movie.Pathetic mixture of horror and sci-fi genre.Location was excellent for a horror movie but all they could do is take out zombies and weird faced aliens and blood.That is not a definition of a horror movie nor is it suitable for a massacre genre movie.It does not fit in the boots of something like IdentityDumbest movie ever.EPIC FAIL would be just perfect to describe the nature of the movie.Pathetic mixture of horror and sci-fi genre.Location was excellent for a horror movie but all they could do is take out zombies and weird faced aliens and blood.That is not a definition of a horror movie nor is it suitable for a massacre genre movie.It does not fit in the boots of something like Identity nor for The Women in Black neither for Saw.It is an unexpected punch in the face for all of those who thought this would be good for spending 2 hours of your life.Well folks,those who did not watch this one,I demand you to stay away from it ,those of you who did,I share you sorrow Expand
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    I have to give the movie credit for having some unexpected twist but overall it is probably one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen. Starts off interesting, then gets ridiculous, and continues to get more ridiculous as the film continues. Luckily I saw it at the $1.99 theater and still paid about $1.95 too much!!
  30. Aug 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A combination of the truman show and a horror/fantasy movie with unconvincing acting and somewhat lame plot (the cliche breaking was unfitting, just confusing).
    And if a movie should catch my attention please don't start it off as any other horror film ever made, it ruins the impression, even though it's a parody. How would I know this was not just a standard horror movie?
    With bad acting and a uninteresting plot, not even scary, the only thing that i like about this movie is that its so predictable its funny.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Apr 16, 2012
    A horror-movie attic sale is, in essence, exactly what Cabin in the Woods is, an attempt to exorcise the genre of its formulaic possession by stuffing the movie full of its most overused and predictable elements - and then dumping them through clever skewering.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Apr 14, 2012
    Because the first narrative is so crushingly generic (which turns out to be the point), most of the amusement derives from trying to figure out what the second one is all about. I'm not sure I ever did, but the climactic one-two punch of special-effects chaos and meta-movie chin stroking should have the fanboys trembling with delight.
  3. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Apr 13, 2012
    I've seen a lot of rip-offs of "The Truman Show" and a lot of rip-offs of "Scream." I guess I have to give credit to The Cabin in the Woods for ripping off both at once.