The Change-Up

5.7

1. Oct 3, 2011
    There were some moments that were like, "Really?". Some parts I felt like the writer and director went too far because they wanted to be all dramatic. However, the movie itself wasn't that bad and sexy Ryan Reynolds made up for it...
  2. Aug 6, 2011
    This would have been a very good movie if they would have left out all the cursing, even though a lot of adults would not take their kids to see an R rated movie, this movie had the characters using very vulgar language in front of children. It seems like directors, writers, and producers think they their movie won't make any money if they don't have vulgarity and sexual all the wayThis would have been a very good movie if they would have left out all the cursing, even though a lot of adults would not take their kids to see an R rated movie, this movie had the characters using very vulgar language in front of children. It seems like directors, writers, and producers think they their movie won't make any money if they don't have vulgarity and sexual all the way through, but all of this takes away from the movie... Expand
  3. Aug 7, 2011
    All in all, a very funny movie. I honestly didn't know Jason Bateman could pull off such a **** character, but he did is perfectly! Ryan Reynolds was awesome as always. The best scene of the film? Mitch crying while filming the "lorno". If you're looking for some laughs, go watch The Change-Up. But DO NOT bring children... it's a very vulgar film.
  4. Aug 6, 2011
    Well, I officially disagree with apparently every critic on the planet. While the premise for this movie is tired, overdone and the green-lighting of this movie could have been considered a very questionable move, the fact is, the hard R The Change-Up has earned has also given a very adult and empathetic undertone. The movie has much more of a message than its vulgarity implies and it isWell, I officially disagree with apparently every critic on the planet. While the premise for this movie is tired, overdone and the green-lighting of this movie could have been considered a very questionable move, the fact is, the hard R The Change-Up has earned has also given a very adult and empathetic undertone. The movie has much more of a message than its vulgarity implies and it is flawlessly delivered by two of the most underrated comedic actors in Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds. I absolutely adored this movie, squirmed often, but eventually smiled a very pleasant smile at the pure sweetness of its message. I highly recommend it! Expand
  5. Aug 11, 2011
    Nothing about this story is fresh, but the comic ability of the two leads makes it funny. Jason Bateman plays a hard-working father of three and Ryan Reynolds is a carefree stud. Once their bodies switch, the mayhem beginsâ
  6. Aug 9, 2011
    The Change up gives us a fresh take on the body-switch comedy genre. Most of the time, they are too light hearted and unreal. The Change-Up gives us a look at what REAL people probably would do if there was a situation like this (although, i get it, it will never happen). There was consistent funny and vulgar parts to this movie which had me laughing most of the way through the film.The Change up gives us a fresh take on the body-switch comedy genre. Most of the time, they are too light hearted and unreal. The Change-Up gives us a look at what REAL people probably would do if there was a situation like this (although, i get it, it will never happen). There was consistent funny and vulgar parts to this movie which had me laughing most of the way through the film. There was a little too much emotion in the movie though for a comedy, but it fits together alright. Worth Checking out for sure. 7/10 Expand
  7. Oct 2, 2014
    The low meta score is probably due to the amount of swearing and gross out gags, but most married, middle-aged men with young children may well find this movie hysterically funny.
  8. Aug 8, 2011
    I saw this movie, Bridesmaids, and Horrible Bosses all in the past weekend. Of the three, this is the best. I hadn't laughed this much and been grossed out so much since the Hangover and the Harold & Kumar movies. I went in with REALLY low expectations, and it didn't just surpass them, it was downright great with all of the shocks and surprises.
  9. Dec 12, 2011
    Come on! It was funny and that's that. It's not an Oscar winner of course, though Bateman's performance is hysterical and convincing! This film surprised me. I wasn't expecting much, but this one turned out to be quite funny and with a little dab of heart in there. Am I glad I didn't see it in the theatres and instead resorted to a $1 rental? Absolutely, only so as to save myself $8.50.
  10. Nov 3, 2011
    This movie is really funny...

I laugh a lot watching it, the jokes aren't smart at all but at the end of it you realise that you are laughing really hard.

As a serious movie, it's not good.. but that is not the point of it, anyway.

If you are looking for some casual fun with some dumb girl or even if you are too lazy to think too much and just wanna laugh, this movie can be a very nice coice.
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    Very funny movie that has solid acting and some incredibly hilarious scenes. I liked the second half more than the first half because while the first half had some of the funnier elements, it was also a bit ridiculous at times. Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman are great as usual, Leslie Mann shines in one of her more expanded roles, and Olivia Wilde is absolutely stunning. I was a littleVery funny movie that has solid acting and some incredibly hilarious scenes. I liked the second half more than the first half because while the first half had some of the funnier elements, it was also a bit ridiculous at times. Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman are great as usual, Leslie Mann shines in one of her more expanded roles, and Olivia Wilde is absolutely stunning. I was a little disappointed she wasn't featured a bit more to be honest. Expand
  12. Jan 19, 2012
    A very solid movie. An after-hours body switching movie. The Parent Trap for adults if you will. I thought Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman were hilarious, and Leslie Mann was brilliant again. Not much to say, but the movie does a nice job of trying to squeeze a nice story in between all the poop. Really. Poop.
  13. Feb 15, 2012
    The film at once ... A good, naive, sometimes funny. Deserves evaluation 6, but for actors add 1 more point. Olivia Wilde and Leslie Mann as beautiful as ever.
  14. Mar 20, 2012
    A new bro-mance standard.

I can't believe how poorly this movie reviewed. The lot of us sat there laughing our asses off ALL though. It shouldn't need to be said but if you know one of the characters get's a mouth full of baby poop in the opening scenes, you know as a movie buff and a person, it's time to really lower your standards. As soon as you commit to watching a movie as
    A new bro-mance standard.

As soon as you commit to watching a movie as implausible as two characters switching bodies because they both peed in public fountain while they were drunk, then you have to put your guard down; you cannot rate it like you would an art film. It's a comedy and a good one. Watch it with your friends though; movies like this are designed for a) people with a penis and b) external laughter. Schindler's List is for watching alone.

And yes, @RowenaB, dude movies rely heavily derision; it's a staple of male-on-male comedy. If you remove that then all you have left is chick flicks and what explosion-loving male wants to live in a world like that?

I'm rating this an 8 - as a comedy - not as a film.
  15. Nov 7, 2012
    Many will be offended by the film and claim it has no respect for women, but I think The Change-Up does a great job developing the characters of both Mann and Wilde. It's also the funniest movie since The Hangover, and the best body-swap flick since Tom Hanks did Big back in the 80's.
  16. Mar 28, 2013
    The Change-Up is a great best friends movie. While those who don't have a specific best friend who they've known since childhood might not enjoy this, all best friends should find it hilarious and heartwarming, if you can believe it. Bateman and Reynalds are phenomenal together, and their female counterparts do a bang-up job too. Though some may find it offensive and disgusting (especiallyThe Change-Up is a great best friends movie. While those who don't have a specific best friend who they've known since childhood might not enjoy this, all best friends should find it hilarious and heartwarming, if you can believe it. Bateman and Reynalds are phenomenal together, and their female counterparts do a bang-up job too. Though some may find it offensive and disgusting (especially a scene where Bateman's infant son craps in his mouth), this movie is well done and definitely worth your time. Expand
  17. Jul 23, 2014
    The Change up is undeniably bad - but it is also undeniable funny, offering better performances, a more amusing script, and being far more fair to its female leads than most comedies nowadays.

1. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Sep 12, 2011
    Despite the promise of the title, this a fairly stale offering, plodding through the beats of a well-worn subgenre but failing to add much more than a foul mouth.
  2. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Aug 6, 2011
    To call The Change-Up misogynistic would be to shortchange the equal-opportunity disgust this anal-regressive film demonstrates toward men, babies, old people, and corporeal existence in general.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Aug 6, 2011
    It's occasionally funny and a lot painful.