5.7

1. AlissaL.
    Dec 17, 2005
    Best movie I've seen in a long time. It's renewed my faith in movies, the crap they've been putting out thus far is laughable in its absurdity. Thanks for the long drink of cool water that is The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.!!!!
  2. ranic.
    Dec 18, 2005
    I had really bad seats (front row, far right) and I still thought this movie was one of the best fantasy movies to date. I read the books as a kid and it was awesome to see the story visually depicted. The film was vibrant and exciting and the costume design was great. However, I was suprised to see how gruesome and morbid some of the scenes in this Disney movie were - that was the only I had really bad seats (front row, far right) and I still thought this movie was one of the best fantasy movies to date. I read the books as a kid and it was awesome to see the story visually depicted. The film was vibrant and exciting and the costume design was great. However, I was suprised to see how gruesome and morbid some of the scenes in this Disney movie were - that was the only real turn off for me - because it pretty much a kid's movie. But the best part of the movie is that it does what a movie is supposed to - brings you into a whole other imaginary world that is completely real while you are in the theater. Expand
  3. Aslan
    Dec 18, 2005
    I love this movie. The cj was perfect in my eyes, and it the best book movie i've ever seen. I've seen Peter Pan, ALL the Harry Potters, The Lord of the Rings, Ella Enchanted, Holes, Jurrasic Park, and TONS more, and this one beats all. I've read the book, and I think that while is was not the truest to the book, it does not matter because it still fits. I love animals and I love this movie. The cj was perfect in my eyes, and it the best book movie i've ever seen. I've seen Peter Pan, ALL the Harry Potters, The Lord of the Rings, Ella Enchanted, Holes, Jurrasic Park, and TONS more, and this one beats all. I've read the book, and I think that while is was not the truest to the book, it does not matter because it still fits. I love animals and this one pulled off talking animals very well. Expand
  4. BrittanyL.
    Dec 19, 2005
    This was a good movies..even tho it was long...i read the bok and didnt remember it so yea...it was good so see it..but it is for younger people.
  5. Alex
    Dec 19, 2005
    Well, i wasn't quite Lord of the Rings, but it was still pretty good. it was like a family- oriented LOTR.
  6. ChrisC
    Dec 21, 2005
    This has to be my favorite movie of all time! I've seen it twice now and both times been absolutely engulfed by its effects, music (which was particularly stunning), storyling, and the fact that CS Lewis is just a genious. If you enjoyed the movie, also consider giving the books a run!
  7. someoneyoudon'tknow
    Dec 22, 2005
    I thought this movie was really incredible. I can't wait for the DVD. I saw it with some friends and we all loved it. My best friend was cutting off the circulation in my arm half the time. Once we both jumped an inch in the air. The costumes are incredible, and so is the setting. The casting was great, too. I can't say anything bad about it.
  8. MeganI.
    Dec 23, 2005
    Simply splendid. The best movie of the year. Finally something else than car chases, shootings, and cleavages.
  9. EdS.
    Dec 24, 2005
    A glimpse into the fantastic world of Narnia. I haven't read the books, but I can't wait for the rumored sequel, "Prince Caspian". This is a great movie with good morals, not just for kids. I can't say enough about the excellent cinematography and effects. The kids acted appropriately for their age, and that's perfect. Compare these performances to the kid from the A glimpse into the fantastic world of Narnia. I haven't read the books, but I can't wait for the rumored sequel, "Prince Caspian". This is a great movie with good morals, not just for kids. I can't say enough about the excellent cinematography and effects. The kids acted appropriately for their age, and that's perfect. Compare these performances to the kid from the recent "War of the Worlds" whose acting is way beyond her age. Expand
  10. Rev.Rikard
    Dec 24, 2005
    In contrast to other films that attempt to adapt a well written book to the big screen, this materpiece of C.S. Lewis has been faithfully respected. Little "artistic license" was taken; consequently the original intent of Lewis has remained intact. Andrew Adamson has not only remained true to Lewis' Christian theology in this delightful metaphor, but has done it in such a way that In contrast to other films that attempt to adapt a well written book to the big screen, this materpiece of C.S. Lewis has been faithfully respected. Little "artistic license" was taken; consequently the original intent of Lewis has remained intact. Andrew Adamson has not only remained true to Lewis' Christian theology in this delightful metaphor, but has done it in such a way that even non-Christians can enjoy this movie. It is a "morality play" for virture, honor, sacrifice and loyalty are the story line. These are universal values to which everyone from every walk of life, and every theological persuasion can identify and embrace as worthy of "bringing to life" in film. The only criticism I had was the lack of wonder in the characters portrayted by the children. I never quite saw that "twinkle in the eye" or that childlike curiosity one would expect if visiting a magical wonderland like Narnia. Still, during this holiday season this is a great movie to see with an older child, or just as an adult that needs a little wonder in their holiday. Whether one agrees with the theology of C.S. Lewis or not, this film is a delightful diversion from the shopping mall. Expand
  11. RoyM
    Dec 25, 2005
    I found the scenes to be entertaining, but "thin." By that I mean that there was not a lot of development to set them up. It fell short of what could have been an epic. The actress playing the White Witch was excellent! Clearly the best acting, especially compared to the average effort put in by the kids.
  12. DanC.
    Dec 27, 2005
    As the negative reviews on this site attest, you never can account for taste. I for one thought this was an excellent film. I particularly liked the young actors in all of the roles, and I'm very surprised to see some reviewers focusing on them for poor acting. As an adult who loved the books as a child, this faithful rendering was a true delight, as well as genuinely moving. Highly As the negative reviews on this site attest, you never can account for taste. I for one thought this was an excellent film. I particularly liked the young actors in all of the roles, and I'm very surprised to see some reviewers focusing on them for poor acting. As an adult who loved the books as a child, this faithful rendering was a true delight, as well as genuinely moving. Highly recommended. Expand
  13. AllisonC.
    Dec 31, 2005
    I love this movie so much. It's sad,happy and funny all at the same time. I just feel like seeing it again and again.
  14. JeremyR.
    Dec 9, 2005
    Excellent in almost every way. My only complaint (and this small) is that Mr. Beaver never gets a chance to tell the children that Aslan is "Not safe, but He's good." Otherwise I loved it.
  15. GeoffH.
    Dec 9, 2005
    Excellent cinematography and character development. The slight changes that were made from the book worked well, overall it was a fantastic movie for both kids and adults! Would have like it to be a bit longer, but it is well worth seeing, especially if you're already a fan of the story.
  16. WallyS.
    Dec 9, 2005
    The children will be enchanted, and the adults will love the material, but the chronicles are only beginning, and brace yourself, because this is a sensacional adventure.
  17. ElizabethE.
    Dec 9, 2005
    Amazing! The film proved to stay fairly true to the book, which made all of us Narnia fans quite happy. Not only that, but the movie in general was just simply fantastic! Go see it!
  18. DeirdreJ.
    Dec 9, 2005
    Though not absolutely flawless, it is so extraordinary that I have to give it a 10. It is amazingly true to the spirit of the book, well crafted, well structured, and beautiful to look at. The kids do a very good job, and Tilda Swinton is awesome!
  19. JanoooR.
    Dec 9, 2005
    So much better then the first Harry Potter. And will only get better with the next 6 movies.
  20. TomM.
    Jan 12, 2006
    Very good movie.
  21. Gonzo
    Jan 14, 2006
    Not bad .Not bad. The film doesnt carry much adrenaline as "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" does,but you have to accept the gorgeus scenery and plot to fully enjoy the film.I liked how it used symbols for biblical characters.Lucy Pevensie's role was the best one;I mean,all of them were great its really hard to narrow down one of them!But I just couldnt help something about the Not bad .Not bad. The film doesnt carry much adrenaline as "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" does,but you have to accept the gorgeus scenery and plot to fully enjoy the film.I liked how it used symbols for biblical characters.Lucy Pevensie's role was the best one;I mean,all of them were great its really hard to narrow down one of them!But I just couldnt help something about the gilr who plays Lucy.You cant actually notice her facial expression.There were times I couldnt difference If she was crying,or smiling.But oh well.The action was great and my favorite character must be Peter.In overall,a good film. Expand
  22. GrantN.
    Jan 16, 2006
    An interesting movie that was fairly well-made would have been better with more intense battle sequences and a PG-13 rating.
  23. Heidi
    Dec 11, 2005
    Narnia was wonderful, the movie theatre was filled with young children, teens, familes and even seniors. With any classic story like this, you always fear that the creators of the movie version will "wreak it". That is not the case with Narnia. You will laugh and you will cry, This movie will become one of my all time favorites.
  24. BrianS.
    Dec 11, 2005
    I very much enjoyed this movie. Though I didn't think it quite reached the 10 rating I would give the Lord Of The Rings movies, I reserve very high hopes for the sequels... And Lucy was just SO darned cute!
  25. WakoJako
    Dec 12, 2005
    About as perfect as it could be. Charming and effective. True, there are some obvious effects that work better than others. And there are some obvious similarities to Lord of the Rings, on a minor scale. But who cares. The movie works. The children are incredible, and the whole thing is absolutely charming. Just Charming.
  26. HarryB.
    Dec 13, 2005
    Pretty good, better than the Harry Potter movies. I've yet to read the books, but this reminded me of LotR meets the Neverending Story, which is a great combination, though certainly those two are better movies.
  27. JulienC.
    Dec 13, 2005
    I can't believe some people gave it a 4, this is a joke... the movie is good and even though it does sometimes follow some patterns that were used over and over again, it's overall a very good movie that people will enjoy a lot. go there, don't even think that you'll get bored. it's a good value for the price of a movie ticket.
  28. RaD
    Dec 19, 2005
    Awesome movie! I absolutely loved it!
  29. nickp.
    Dec 23, 2005
    Was the year's best.
  30. RaenetteL.
    Dec 29, 2005
    WONDERFUL TO WATCH, FAITHFUL TO THE BOOK IN ALMOST ALL RESPECTS. I EXPECTED TO FEEL THE "GOLDEN MAGIC" OF THE LION A LITTLE MORE THAN I DID.
  31. SamS
    Dec 25, 2008
    A fantastic film with great energy and heart. One of my all-time favorites, also featuring a great soundtrack with an awesome musical score and wonderful songs to finish your journey during the closing credits.
  32. Nov 24, 2011
    Incredible story. In my opinion a masterpiece within its genre. This first entry into the world of Narnia is simply amazing. You can't go wrong with this movie, good for all ages.
  33. Mar 14, 2012
    I'm sincerely surprised that this movie got so many praises from critics while users usually disliked it. This is maybe one of the best epic fantasy films: nice camera, nice ambient and even nicer soundtrack and the main roles being played by kids isn't devaluating it at all. A must-watch for fans of this genre.
  34. Dec 26, 2011
    The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a really decent, heartfelt fantasy epic for all ages. It's visually superb, particularly the portrayal of realistic talking animals (without which the film could never work), and has some good performances, most prominently Tilda Swinton's icily creepy White Witch and James McAvoy's pitch-perfect Mr Tumnus. The centralThe Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a really decent, heartfelt fantasy epic for all ages. It's visually superb, particularly the portrayal of realistic talking animals (without which the film could never work), and has some good performances, most prominently Tilda Swinton's icily creepy White Witch and James McAvoy's pitch-perfect Mr Tumnus. The central characters of the Pevensies are effortlessly believable as a genuine family of siblings - they squabble, they poke fun at each other and they sulk, but when all's said and done they love each other very deeply. The girls (Anna Popplewell and particularly Georgie Henley) are infinitely more talented than the boys (William Moseley and Skandar Keynes) and make more compelling protagonists as a result, but as a group, they are all engaging. Though it's always entertaining, Andrew Adamson's film is far from original - he owes so much to Peter Jackson and his Lord of the Rings trilogy, with New Zealand standing in for Narnia as well as Middle Earth, and with the involvement of Weta Workshop. Though it's got some great moments, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe can never escape feeling like an inferior Lord of the Rings - it's nowhere near as rich, well-told or emotionally compelling. Expand
  35. Oct 9, 2011
    The technical aspects (makeup, art direction, costumes) are the best part and the adaptation doesn't let you down. Add good acting and jaw-dropping visual effects and you have the best film of the series so far.
  36. Nov 5, 2011
    It's magical, beautifully scored, impressively designed and well acted. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a worthy companion to it's classical novel of the same name. 4/4 stars.
  37. Apr 1, 2012
    I don't know about the book, but this movie has a great story and a good heart at its core. It is just about everything you could want in a fantasy movie.
  38. Feb 24, 2012
    "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first film in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series of books in which this film was adapted from. The special effects in this movie are beauteous but It's the landscapes which are simply breathtaking. The acting from the children is nothing special but Tilda Swinton manages to convincingly portray the White Witch as the horrible **** she was in the"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first film in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series of books in which this film was adapted from. The special effects in this movie are beauteous but It's the landscapes which are simply breathtaking. The acting from the children is nothing special but Tilda Swinton manages to convincingly portray the White Witch as the horrible **** she was in the novel and I must make mention of Liam Neeson who was an excellent choice as the voice of Aslan. I would recommend reading the book first however. Expand
  39. Mar 28, 2012
    I think that this movie is a bigger sorprise. The book is excellent, and this movie have and incredible esscence of the books, the cast have a great performance, is an amazing movie.
  40. HMW
    Mar 7, 2012
    This movie was so great, it is now my favorite move. It went almost exactly by the book and it felt like I was actually reading the book while I was watching the movie. The movie had fantasy, comedy, action , and everything else that makes a great movie. I would recommend it to anyone.
  41. Nov 29, 2013
    It was a very nice movie. It really does have quite an outstanding storyline full of fantasy. The music is absolutely exceptional. It is children's movie that is great for everybody.
  42. Mar 8, 2014
    Mostly satisfying and enjoyable - we have some great battle scenes, a nicely-paced storyline, and a well-portrayed villain. Although not quite as good as the "Harry Potter" movies, and not nearly as good as the "Lord of the Rings" movies, this first installment still provides plenty of entertainment.
  43. Sep 11, 2012
    I really loved this movie. It's like the start and the marvelous introduction to a saga that will surely be the next Harry Potterish phenomenon! it is not boring, it is not tedious, it is not for the faint of heart and truly, it is something that cannot be lost for sure. Definetly, not one of the movies you wanna miss!
  44. Jul 18, 2013
    A wonderful fantasy film that sticks very closely to the classic novel on which it is based. The acting is great, the music is inspiring, the action is epic- over all this film is a grand addition to the fantasy genre and a classic film adaption that is very, very enjoyable and spiritual.
  45. Nov 29, 2013
    It might feel like a kid version of Lord of the Rings but Narnia provides on its own behalf with its grand imagery and fantastical world and characters.
  46. Jan 31, 2014
    A movie case worth and privileged to have on the shelf. It's a child's fantasy escape and an overall thematic tale of biblical proportions, made to share with believers or movielovers. The problem with Narnia is the magical feel toward this fantasy world is not enduring. It'll put a smile on your face, but it's no Lord of the Rings or Pan's Labyrinth.
  47. Nov 9, 2014
    The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe starts off an inevitable saga with finesse, entertaining audiences with something exciting and refreshing.
  48. Jan 31, 2015
    The film is simply brilliant. Tilda Swinton plays the White Witch to perfection. It is a family friendly film with Lord of The Rings action scenes that was not expected. This is a must see.
  49. May 13, 2015
    This movie is an excellent adaptation from book to screen. This is one of the very few cases in which the movie surpasses the book. If you enjoyed the book, you will enjoy this movie.
  50. Apr 23, 2015
    As the bean counters toil, Eustace waits. So does Jill. And Polly and Digory, too. Walden Media has optioned all seven of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia books, but whether the other six (or, more likely, five - since The Horse and His Boy seems an unlikely choice to film) make it to the screen will depend heavily on how much money The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe earns. If the movieAs the bean counters toil, Eustace waits. So does Jill. And Polly and Digory, too. Walden Media has optioned all seven of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia books, but whether the other six (or, more likely, five - since The Horse and His Boy seems an unlikely choice to film) make it to the screen will depend heavily on how much money The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe earns. If the movie scores big with audiences, we will likely be watching Prince Caspian in another two or three years.

This marks the fifth time that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe has been adapted, but the first time it has been accomplished as a major motion picture. The first version was a radio play done while C.S. Lewis was still alive. The second, a 10-part TV series, was produced a few years after his death. There was also a 1979 animated edition, and a three-hour interpretation made for British TV in 1988. The only new things that Andrew Adamson's adaptation brings to the table are better production values and more impressive special effects. There is a tendency to say that this The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is redundant.

The film is geared primarily toward a younger audience and parents who want to have something to see with their brood. Those expecting the epic scope and depth of The Lord of the Rings will be disappointed. Both sagas are fantasies, and both feature dramatic battle scenes, but The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is sanitized. The conflict of armies is sketched rather than developed, and many of the themes are presented in easily digestible chunks. Lewis' book was a short, clear-cut fairy tale aimed at children. The movie adopts this tone and approach. It is faithful to the author's vision, and that represents both a strength (for those who have appropriate expectations) and a weakness (for those who are anticipating something more in line with The Lord of the Rings - as hinted at by the commercials).

The film, despite having come out of the same New Zealand workshop that did such an excellent job bringing The Lord of the Rings to life, lacks the same degree of technical polish. Little glitches in the special effects can be seen from time-to-time. The most persistent of these is the look of Aslan, who never appears real. He looks like a computer-generated lion. If one wishes to view Aslan as "more" than a big cat, then one could consider the "unrealness" to be an asset. To me, it looked like the computer animators couldn't quite get it right. Also, I have to question the decision to use Liam Neeson's voice. Although Neeson has perfect diction, he lacks the "booming" quality that would have leant the lion's voice added authority.

My biggest reservations relate to the climactic battle scene. Lewis spent little time in the book describing this. It is, after all, a children's story. For the movie, director Andrew Adamson (Shrek, Shrek 2) and his team decide to show a clash between armies in which hundreds of creatures are killed but, in doing this, they avoid blood and gore. It becomes a clean, perfunctory war, and that's an odd and unsatisfying approach. If we're going to be shown a battle, the entire thing should be depicted in its ugliness. Instead we get a cleaned-up version with plenty of "look away" edits. It gets the movie its desired PG rating.

Some scenes in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (such as the one featuring Father Christmas) are childish. Others (which I will not mention here to avoid providing spoilers) are poignant. The film's central tragedy is handled with sensitivity, and tears will flow. On balance, more of the movie works than doesn't, but this isn't 140 minutes of unqualified successes.

The acting is fine, although lacking in the recognition category. The biggest stars are Tilda Swinton and Jim Broadbent, neither of whom would be considered a "household name." Swinton does a good job boosting the evil quotient of her character, while Broadbent's part qualifies as little more than a heavily made-up cameo. As previously mentioned, Liam Neeson has a sizeable vocal part. Also lending their voices are Rupert Everett and Ray Winstone. Three of the four children are portrayed by actors in their first major roles. Only Anna Popplewell has a prior resume.

It's difficult to determine how audiences will react to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Those expecting something in the vein of Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings will not be satisfied. Much has been made about the movie's "Christian connections." However, while it's true that Lewis' books are allegorical (with Aslan representing Christ), the movie doesn't hammer home this point.
  51. Jul 21, 2015
    Obviously the fantasy genre in film is always impressive having this amazing Disney movie , what I liked most is the final battle , Cool huh ?. good and the other two films or say .
  52. Apr 19, 2016
    I love when they take a favorite childhood story of mine and adapt it to the big screen. I am always a little weary when it's Disney thou. You never know what Disney is going to do with it, however in the case of The Lion, The Witch, The Wardrobe, is a homerun. They didn't shorten this film into some hour and a half movie about love. They took their time and told the story as it was meantI love when they take a favorite childhood story of mine and adapt it to the big screen. I am always a little weary when it's Disney thou. You never know what Disney is going to do with it, however in the case of The Lion, The Witch, The Wardrobe, is a homerun. They didn't shorten this film into some hour and a half movie about love. They took their time and told the story as it was meant to be told. All the kids were new to the big screen and were terrific. It's a classic tale that is over 60 years old and it's as fresh and relevant today as it was then. Two big thumbs up for the first of the Narnia tales, personally I hope they make all seven of them into feature films! Expand

1. What is lightly sketched in the novel, where much is left to the imagination, blossoms into full-blown, richly detailed life in the movie.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    An array of supporting craftspeople pull the viewer into a credible alternative world, even if the film itself is more prosaic than inspiring.
    The problem with any allegorical plan, Christian or otherwise, is not its ideological content but the blockish threat that it poses to the flow of a story.