5.7

1. Feb 13, 2016
    This Narnia installment shows us that the Chronicles has really tried, but fails to impress all of us anyways. A better aim for the franchise is aimed for fans of the franchise.
  2. Feb 22, 2014
    It's an escape from real life in every way, but The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is not very well done. It's too kid-oriented so that adults can't enjoy it as much.
  3. Apr 3, 2012
    Chronicles of Narnia is an extremely corny and childish film. The action scenes prove my point. The decent thing in the movie is the average battle scene at the end. Acting was pitiful and i guess it will do fine with the younger crowd.
  4. Oct 2, 2011
    "The Chronicles of Narnia" is not a masterpiece due to its newbie actors, but it manages to give the pure entertainment most summer blockbusters provide.
  5. Feb 24, 2013
    I love when they take a favorite childhood story of mine and adapt it to the big screen. I am always a little weary when it's Disney thou. You never know what Disney is going to do with it, however in the case of The Lion, The Witch, The Wardrobe, is a homerun. They didn't shorten this film into some hour and a half movie about love. They took their time and told the story as it was meantI love when they take a favorite childhood story of mine and adapt it to the big screen. I am always a little weary when it's Disney thou. You never know what Disney is going to do with it, however in the case of The Lion, The Witch, The Wardrobe, is a homerun. They didn't shorten this film into some hour and a half movie about love. They took their time and told the story as it was meant to be told. All the kids were new to the big screen and were terrific. It's a classic tale that is over 60 years old and it's as fresh and relevant today as it was then. Two big thumbs up for the first of the Narnia tales, personally I hope they make all seven of them into feature films! Expand
  6. Nov 29, 2013
    It was a very nice movie. It really does have quite an outstanding storyline full of fantasy. The music is absolutely exceptional. It is children's movie that is great for everybody.
  7. Apr 1, 2012
    I don't know about the book, but this movie has a great story and a good heart at its core. It is just about everything you could want in a fantasy movie.
  8. Jul 21, 2015
    Obviously the fantasy genre in film is always impressive having this amazing Disney movie , what I liked most is the final battle , Cool huh ?. good and the other two films or say .
  9. Aug 28, 2014
    While this movie is good, and the special effects are nothing to complain about, I think what bugs me most about this movie is the story - or rather, how they told it.

For one, we have four children stepping into a world of Narnia, of which they have never heard of. Thrown into a whirlwind of prophesies and the promises of a White Witch, they take it pretty strangely; part of the time the eldest (Peter and Susan, although mostly Susan) are a bit skeptical of the whole thing. And when they are suddenly being addressed as Kings and Queens, and handed weapons to fight a war that will determine the freedom of the people of Narnia, it seems they are suddenly stepping right into their roles.

Not to mention riding into war with next to no training at all...

Another thing was the war scene. This is a Disney movie, and a PG one of that. So, we're going to see "death", but there's no blood or actual details shown, and that really ruins the big fighting scene that is otherwise pretty brutal. Also, a lot of "artistic" choices like blurring the surroundings and focusing on a couple of people interacting... that just didn't work for me at all. Just another way to avoid the gore going on around.

Other than that, it is a great start for the following movies. A good story with strong themes like growing up and taking responsibility of your own actions and decisions.

An amazing soundtrack, too! I love to listen to it, and it's really fitting. Not too dramatic, not too loud. Just right.
  10. Oct 13, 2010
    Okay. anyone who hates this movie are taking things way too seriously. first, some of you hated the second Harry Potter movie and you gave the same score like this one? guys, what the heck? THIS MOVIE IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!! the characters were supporting, the storyline was great, and the source material is brilliant which makes this movie a top-notch fantasy adventure movie for fans of Narnia.
  11. Dec 26, 2011
    The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a really decent, heartfelt fantasy epic for all ages. It's visually superb, particularly the portrayal of realistic talking animals (without which the film could never work), and has some good performances, most prominently Tilda Swinton's icily creepy White Witch and James McAvoy's pitch-perfect Mr Tumnus. The centralThe Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a really decent, heartfelt fantasy epic for all ages. It's visually superb, particularly the portrayal of realistic talking animals (without which the film could never work), and has some good performances, most prominently Tilda Swinton's icily creepy White Witch and James McAvoy's pitch-perfect Mr Tumnus. The central characters of the Pevensies are effortlessly believable as a genuine family of siblings - they squabble, they poke fun at each other and they sulk, but when all's said and done they love each other very deeply. The girls (Anna Popplewell and particularly Georgie Henley) are infinitely more talented than the boys (William Moseley and Skandar Keynes) and make more compelling protagonists as a result, but as a group, they are all engaging. Though it's always entertaining, Andrew Adamson's film is far from original - he owes so much to Peter Jackson and his Lord of the Rings trilogy, with New Zealand standing in for Narnia as well as Middle Earth, and with the involvement of Weta Workshop. Though it's got some great moments, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe can never escape feeling like an inferior Lord of the Rings - it's nowhere near as rich, well-told or emotionally compelling. Expand
  12. Mar 8, 2014
    Mostly satisfying and enjoyable - we have some great battle scenes, a nicely-paced storyline, and a well-portrayed villain. Although not quite as good as the "Harry Potter" movies, and not nearly as good as the "Lord of the Rings" movies, this first installment still provides plenty of entertainment.
  13. Nov 29, 2013
    It might feel like a kid version of Lord of the Rings but Narnia provides on its own behalf with its grand imagery and fantastical world and characters.
  14. Apr 19, 2016
  15. Mar 28, 2012
    I think that this movie is a bigger sorprise. The book is excellent, and this movie have and incredible esscence of the books, the cast have a great performance, is an amazing movie.
  16. Nov 9, 2014
    The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe starts off an inevitable saga with finesse, entertaining audiences with something exciting and refreshing.
  17. Apr 23, 2015
    As the bean counters toil, Eustace waits. So does Jill. And Polly and Digory, too. Walden Media has optioned all seven of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia books, but whether the other six (or, more likely, five - since The Horse and His Boy seems an unlikely choice to film) make it to the screen will depend heavily on how much money The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe earns. If the movieAs the bean counters toil, Eustace waits. So does Jill. And Polly and Digory, too. Walden Media has optioned all seven of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia books, but whether the other six (or, more likely, five - since The Horse and His Boy seems an unlikely choice to film) make it to the screen will depend heavily on how much money The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe earns. If the movie scores big with audiences, we will likely be watching Prince Caspian in another two or three years.

This marks the fifth time that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe has been adapted, but the first time it has been accomplished as a major motion picture. The first version was a radio play done while C.S. Lewis was still alive. The second, a 10-part TV series, was produced a few years after his death. There was also a 1979 animated edition, and a three-hour interpretation made for British TV in 1988. The only new things that Andrew Adamson's adaptation brings to the table are better production values and more impressive special effects. There is a tendency to say that this The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is redundant.

The film is geared primarily toward a younger audience and parents who want to have something to see with their brood. Those expecting the epic scope and depth of The Lord of the Rings will be disappointed. Both sagas are fantasies, and both feature dramatic battle scenes, but The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is sanitized. The conflict of armies is sketched rather than developed, and many of the themes are presented in easily digestible chunks. Lewis' book was a short, clear-cut fairy tale aimed at children. The movie adopts this tone and approach. It is faithful to the author's vision, and that represents both a strength (for those who have appropriate expectations) and a weakness (for those who are anticipating something more in line with The Lord of the Rings - as hinted at by the commercials).

The film, despite having come out of the same New Zealand workshop that did such an excellent job bringing The Lord of the Rings to life, lacks the same degree of technical polish. Little glitches in the special effects can be seen from time-to-time. The most persistent of these is the look of Aslan, who never appears real. He looks like a computer-generated lion. If one wishes to view Aslan as "more" than a big cat, then one could consider the "unrealness" to be an asset. To me, it looked like the computer animators couldn't quite get it right. Also, I have to question the decision to use Liam Neeson's voice. Although Neeson has perfect diction, he lacks the "booming" quality that would have leant the lion's voice added authority.

My biggest reservations relate to the climactic battle scene. Lewis spent little time in the book describing this. It is, after all, a children's story. For the movie, director Andrew Adamson (Shrek, Shrek 2) and his team decide to show a clash between armies in which hundreds of creatures are killed but, in doing this, they avoid blood and gore. It becomes a clean, perfunctory war, and that's an odd and unsatisfying approach. If we're going to be shown a battle, the entire thing should be depicted in its ugliness. Instead we get a cleaned-up version with plenty of "look away" edits. It gets the movie its desired PG rating.

Some scenes in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (such as the one featuring Father Christmas) are childish. Others (which I will not mention here to avoid providing spoilers) are poignant. The film's central tragedy is handled with sensitivity, and tears will flow. On balance, more of the movie works than doesn't, but this isn't 140 minutes of unqualified successes.

The acting is fine, although lacking in the recognition category. The biggest stars are Tilda Swinton and Jim Broadbent, neither of whom would be considered a "household name." Swinton does a good job boosting the evil quotient of her character, while Broadbent's part qualifies as little more than a heavily made-up cameo. As previously mentioned, Liam Neeson has a sizeable vocal part. Also lending their voices are Rupert Everett and Ray Winstone. Three of the four children are portrayed by actors in their first major roles. Only Anna Popplewell has a prior resume.

It's difficult to determine how audiences will react to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Those expecting something in the vein of Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings will not be satisfied. Much has been made about the movie's "Christian connections." However, while it's true that Lewis' books are allegorical (with Aslan representing Christ), the movie doesn't hammer home this point.
  18. Feb 9, 2011
    I may not be a Christian, but that didn't mean I couldn't enjoy this movie. Definitely one of the best flicks of 2005. Very LOTR-esque, but better! I have very fond memories of watching this in theaters.
  19. Nov 4, 2012
    The fantasy aspect is very dull and weak and the action is underwhelming. It is not completely devoid of entertainment value, but it is too safe and contrived.
  20. Oct 9, 2011
    The technical aspects (makeup, art direction, costumes) are the best part and the adaptation doesn't let you down. Add good acting and jaw-dropping visual effects and you have the best film of the series so far.
  21. Mar 7, 2012
    Yet ANOTHER attempt to trick young viewers (and readers of the books) into embracing Christianity by disguising its main story points in a fantasy setting. But dishonest and underhanded proselytizing techniques aside, the film itself is still below average at best. By the time the film finally picks up pace... it's the end. A fairly exciting battle scene at the end featuring manyYet ANOTHER attempt to trick young viewers (and readers of the books) into embracing Christianity by disguising its main story points in a fantasy setting. But dishonest and underhanded proselytizing techniques aside, the film itself is still below average at best. By the time the film finally picks up pace... it's the end. A fairly exciting battle scene at the end featuring many different creatures is the one and only high point but prepare to sit through nearly two hours of marginally-disguised preaching to get there. Expand
  22. Jul 18, 2013
    A wonderful fantasy film that sticks very closely to the classic novel on which it is based. The acting is great, the music is inspiring, the action is epic- over all this film is a grand addition to the fantasy genre and a classic film adaption that is very, very enjoyable and spiritual.
  23. Feb 24, 2012
    "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first film in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series of books in which this film was adapted from. The special effects in this movie are beauteous but It's the landscapes which are simply breathtaking. The acting from the children is nothing special but Tilda Swinton manages to convincingly portray the White Witch as the horrible **** she was in the"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first film in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series of books in which this film was adapted from. The special effects in this movie are beauteous but It's the landscapes which are simply breathtaking. The acting from the children is nothing special but Tilda Swinton manages to convincingly portray the White Witch as the horrible **** she was in the novel and I must make mention of Liam Neeson who was an excellent choice as the voice of Aslan. I would recommend reading the book first however. Expand
  24. CRL
    Aug 12, 2011
    This movie is a respectable and somewhat enjoyable attempt to bring C.S. Lewis's iconic series to life. Really, it's a decent job for something that naturally doesn't translate well from it's allegorical roots into the fast-paced and entertaining movie world.
  25. Mar 10, 2013
    Quite charming and inoffensive, I have fond memories of the novel,1979 Children's Television Workshop and BBC adaptations and in most regards this film ticks all the right boxes (it does more right than it does wrong).
  26. Nov 5, 2011
    It's magical, beautifully scored, impressively designed and well acted. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a worthy companion to it's classical novel of the same name. 4/4 stars.
  27. Mar 3, 2011
    This movie is the 2nd best in the series, not only is it a good series opener, it would be a good closer too, but they did not make it like that. I liked all the war action and stuff
  28. Sep 11, 2012
    I really loved this movie. It's like the start and the marvelous introduction to a saga that will surely be the next Harry Potterish phenomenon! it is not boring, it is not tedious, it is not for the faint of heart and truly, it is something that cannot be lost for sure. Definetly, not one of the movies you wanna miss!
  29. Aug 22, 2010
    It was decent but its no Lord of the Rings. I wish the action would have been better (more exciting) and I felt like I didn't care about the characters that much. Also the acting wasn't that great.
  30. Nov 24, 2012
    I sort of like this movie, but might appreciate it more if/when I read the book (and the rest of the Narnia Chronicles). It's not hard to notice the 'Biblical overtones', which to my understanding the author didn't go out of his way to include, but also didn't try to disguise the connection. But, placing that aside, it's a cute story about four kids who discover an alternateI sort of like this movie, but might appreciate it more if/when I read the book (and the rest of the Narnia Chronicles). It's not hard to notice the 'Biblical overtones', which to my understanding the author didn't go out of his way to include, but also didn't try to disguise the connection. But, placing that aside, it's a cute story about four kids who discover an alternate universe/world, full of magical beings and talking creatures. I thought the special effects were pretty decent, and almost 'believable'. The background scenery is beautiful, which should be a clue to the plot to come. There's an evil being - the White Witch - who's trying to, well, take over the world. It's up to the four children, along with the friends they've made along the way, to stop her. Of course, there's also the primary 'hero', the Lion Aslan - the representation of good. It's also, on another level, a coming-of-age story for the four children. Overall, I'd say this is a decent family film - and for anyone who's concerned about the religious aspects, I'd say: Give it a rest, just enjoy it for it's story. IMHO, if children are old enough to be influenced by anything in this film, then they're also old enough to actually make up their own minds as to what they will take away from viewing this. Expand
  31. HMW
    Mar 7, 2012
    This movie was so great, it is now my favorite move. It went almost exactly by the book and it felt like I was actually reading the book while I was watching the movie. The movie had fantasy, comedy, action , and everything else that makes a great movie. I would recommend it to anyone.
  32. Jan 31, 2014
    A movie case worth and privileged to have on the shelf. It's a child's fantasy escape and an overall thematic tale of biblical proportions, made to share with believers or movielovers. The problem with Narnia is the magical feel toward this fantasy world is not enduring. It'll put a smile on your face, but it's no Lord of the Rings or Pan's Labyrinth.
  33. May 13, 2015
    This movie is an excellent adaptation from book to screen. This is one of the very few cases in which the movie surpasses the book. If you enjoyed the book, you will enjoy this movie.
  34. Nov 24, 2011
    Incredible story. In my opinion a masterpiece within its genre. This first entry into the world of Narnia is simply amazing. You can't go wrong with this movie, good for all ages.
  35. Mar 14, 2012
    I'm sincerely surprised that this movie got so many praises from critics while users usually disliked it. This is maybe one of the best epic fantasy films: nice camera, nice ambient and even nicer soundtrack and the main roles being played by kids isn't devaluating it at all. A must-watch for fans of this genre.
  36. Dec 24, 2014
    I'll start off with the bad. The acting was, for the most part, sub-par and heavily reliant on child actors. The story seemed rushed from beginning to end, which was especially unfortunate when the filmakers expected Edmund to go from 0 to Hero in a half hour. The battle scenes were corny, to say the least, with a severe limitation on realistic gore/violence due to the PG rating. TheI'll start off with the bad. The acting was, for the most part, sub-par and heavily reliant on child actors. The story seemed rushed from beginning to end, which was especially unfortunate when the filmakers expected Edmund to go from 0 to Hero in a half hour. The battle scenes were corny, to say the least, with a severe limitation on realistic gore/violence due to the PG rating. The choreography in these battles was poor as well; almost laughably so.

However, the film had its moments of brilliance. The more intimate scenes, such as Lucy first passing into Narnia, were excellent. The soundtrack was fitting, adding spice to even the most banal scenes. The story itself, of course, is a creative piece of genius. Aslan and the White Witch, fortunately, were not among the rookie actors.

All things considered, a very average movie that had the potential to be great.
  37. Jan 31, 2015
    The film is simply brilliant. Tilda Swinton plays the White Witch to perfection. It is a family friendly film with Lord of The Rings action scenes that was not expected. This is a must see.
  38. Mar 16, 2015
    This is not my LOTR. This movie so close with harry blooper and bit better than twilight but not for oscar best picture such as LOTR trilogy. Yes the chronicles of narnia is decent and worth watching. Far from my expectation because LOTR and narnia has the same story, about war in other world.
  39. Michelle
    Dec 10, 2005
    I loved it! I was in tears for almost the last half of the movie. I'm so glad one of my favorite stories made it onto the big screen.
  40. ChrisB.
    Dec 7, 2005
    It's been nearly twenty years since I last read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and I don't remember seeing the Christian symbolism of it back then. Ever since, I had learned more about CS Lewis and how The Chronicles of Narnia very much reflected his philosophy and religion. Fine. But, man, if I didn't get that impression as a kid reading the book, I sure got it It's been nearly twenty years since I last read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and I don't remember seeing the Christian symbolism of it back then. Ever since, I had learned more about CS Lewis and how The Chronicles of Narnia very much reflected his philosophy and religion. Fine. But, man, if I didn't get that impression as a kid reading the book, I sure got it hammered into my skull as an adult watching this movie. At the end of it, I felt like I just came out of the cinematic equivalent of a Creed concert. (That's bad, by the way.) What amazes me is how this is being marketed as a good Christian alternative to Harry Potter movies. Where the HP films are fully committed to the pure fantasy that their characters and situations inhabit, Narnia slavishly needs to qualify everything that happens on screen with a biblical reference point, reducing the kids into Sunday-schoolbook caricatures. And having a CG lion as a Christ figure is about as bad as Scott Stapp posing as Jesus on-stage at that aforementioned Creed concert. Other than that, there is some lovely visual adaptation of the cool stuff I do remember from the book. The kids were capable but uneven in their talents, having cast a blockheaded but handsome Prince William-lookalike as the eldest boy, Peter, while the youngest had an almost creepy precociousness in her performance as Lucy. Tilda Swinton as the White Witch was fantastic, her styling was incredible, and I would have loved to see her have more screen time rather than the badly rendered animal villains. The CG characters were noticeably weak, and even Azlan seemed much less majestic than the lion my imagination had painted as a child. Expand
  41. FederS.
    Dec 10, 2005
    Amazing, is like a new myth.
  42. ChaseP.
    Dec 10, 2005
    I loved the movie. It is the best movie of the year!!!! I cant wait for the rest of them to come out!! I liked the books, but I love the movie!!! Thanks Andrew Anderson!!!
  43. StacyR
    Dec 20, 2005
    Is this what passes for grand entertianment these days? Trite acting and poor special effects? Disney poured a gigantic budget into the near failure of the year, and it shows how they had no clue on how to spend it. An editor, composer, and most of all director would have been a good start. Then we can move onto replacing the cast with leads that can actually do more than read off lines Is this what passes for grand entertianment these days? Trite acting and poor special effects? Disney poured a gigantic budget into the near failure of the year, and it shows how they had no clue on how to spend it. An editor, composer, and most of all director would have been a good start. Then we can move onto replacing the cast with leads that can actually do more than read off lines like a computer. A cold waste of film. Expand
  44. neckyb.
    It was great!
  45. ChuckM.
    Jan 14, 2006
    This was a perfectly fine movie. It was an entertaining way to spent a couple of hours.
  46. ChristineW.
    Jan 24, 2006
    I expected it to be better, especially in the effects and CGI department. There were way too many scenes that looked so fake.
  47. AlfonsoL.
    Jan 7, 2006
    Aun no he leido los libros, y aunque sencilla, la pelicula me parece bastante entretenida, la vi 2 veces (como con 15 dias de diferencia) y mantuve el interes en ambas oportunidades.
  48. Kumar
    Apr 1, 2006
    An amzing adaption that will delight fans and non-fans alike. I especially enjoyed Liam Neeson's vocie talents as Aslan.
  49. JoshD.
    Apr 10, 2006
    What is wrong with you people for voting low? Do you not have any sense of appreciation for true quality movies? Most of the bad ratings are probably from people who laugh at vomit jokes. My 7 yo nephew, my mother and father and I all enjoyed this movie. It was not the best film I've ever seen, but it was a solid 8.
  50. HCarter
    Apr 8, 2006
    Started off ok--but the adapted screenplay wasn't so great. And of course--everything kind of goes downhill from there. You could say, "hey, it's geared towards kids" but that's sort of apologizing for it. There are plenty of movies out there that are solid regardless of age (any pixar movie). It wasn't a horrible movie though, mostly just medicore.
  51. VamicaV.
    Apr 9, 2006
    So Poor such a disappointment! I never thought it was possible to screw up such a good story! Acting was so bad gr it pained me to watch
  52. Danielle
    Dec 11, 2008
    I'd rather watch epic movie. the parody captured my attention, this bored me to tears when my best friend forced me to endure the painstaking 2 hours 20 minute of fantasy. I'm a teenage girl, I don't want to see a kiddy fantasy story with not an ounce of humor or romance in it.I can find homor in Titanic. The battle seen wasn't frightening even
  53. YonatanJ.
    Dec 11, 2005
    For anyone who grew up loving the book, this film does not disappoint. Brilliantly acted, with seamless special effects, the film faithfully adheres to the classic tale and, in some areas, improves upon it (or at least improves the movie experience through occasional elaboration). It is hard to imagine how this wonderful book could have been made into a better movie. My 5-year old son was For anyone who grew up loving the book, this film does not disappoint. Brilliantly acted, with seamless special effects, the film faithfully adheres to the classic tale and, in some areas, improves upon it (or at least improves the movie experience through occasional elaboration). It is hard to imagine how this wonderful book could have been made into a better movie. My 5-year old son was utterly entranced, and I was equally enthralled. If you loved the book, you must see this movie. Expand
  54. ThomasL.
    Dec 10, 2005
    A picture perfect translation from book to screen. Everything I had imagined while reading as a child and more. Not to be missed.
  55. LukeE
    Dec 13, 2005
    Absolutely devoid of talent or... well, that's it. Shots and film editing were handled like a freshman at film school, and the special effects looked like stock animations (and at times, b.g. images seemed prerendered liked a Hitchcock car ride). The costumes were shabby, as though taken from the dressing room of a community theatre, polished up, and dry-cleaned before shooting. And Absolutely devoid of talent or... well, that's it. Shots and film editing were handled like a freshman at film school, and the special effects looked like stock animations (and at times, b.g. images seemed prerendered liked a Hitchcock car ride). The costumes were shabby, as though taken from the dressing room of a community theatre, polished up, and dry-cleaned before shooting. And beginning with an air raid? For a moment I thought I had entered the wrong theatre. I'm not sure who approved this script, but fire them. No clear plot structre, a desperate hook (air raid) -- I'm not even sure which scene was intended to be the climax. It's a very casual, classic structure Lewis used, and for any writer to find it hard to adapt is simply laughable -- as is this film. A simple fantasy should not be handled as an epic. It only makes it sluggish. Oh, I'd nearly forgotten the grating soundtrack! Were the sound editor's headphones broken that he continued cranking up the score? Or was this an experiment in cramming unwanted emotion into the audience's ears and hoping to reach our bored little hearts? Expand
  56. NickP.
    Dec 10, 2005
    Wonderful movie worth seeing. Truly makes you feel as if you're in another world. A litlte bit heavy on the CGI on some places,yes, but wonderful acting, beautiful visuals, and overall very much worth seeing.
  57. RR
    Dec 10, 2005
    It's overlong, boring, feels like it was stitched together with a branding iron and has no depth whatsoever. No sense of dynamics, timing or atmosphere. I began to really loathe the wide-eyed-wonder-look in the kids' eyes, especially because my own eyes were constantly falling shut out of boredom. Two saving graces: Tilda Swinton is really evil (imagine having a mother like that It's overlong, boring, feels like it was stitched together with a branding iron and has no depth whatsoever. No sense of dynamics, timing or atmosphere. I began to really loathe the wide-eyed-wonder-look in the kids' eyes, especially because my own eyes were constantly falling shut out of boredom. Two saving graces: Tilda Swinton is really evil (imagine having a mother like that and see what I mean), and the Lion is well done (from a special fx point of view). Best worst scene: the obnoxious children and two slightly less obnoxious beavers are being pursued by the witch; theythen take cover in a scene that SCREAMS "LOTR FOTR hobbits hiding from the Nazgul nudge nudge", when all of a sudden the beaver announces the coast is clear, it's just Santa Claus who's appeared to bestow valuable gifts to "eve's daughters" and "adam's sons". I kept rubbing my eyes, hoping this godawful scene was just a nightmare. Even the effects were at least two leagues below LOTR. The sets were kind of well done, but they all looked like ... sets. no suspension of disbelief for me, it all looked so... fake! Plus, the believability of a little boy slashing his way through rows of minotaurs and other evil creatures (who all look like LOTR pre-production rejects) is... kind of a lot to take. Save your money. This is such an obviously calculated, badly executed film to make you want to abstain from going to the cinema altogether. To even think of 6 more films in this series makes my stomach ache. Expand
  58. leahp
    Dec 10, 2005
    I couldn't be more pleased with how this movie was handled. The book to screen adaptation was perfect - hardly any alterations from the story whatsoever. The children did a great job with the acting. The Christian themes and symbolism were prominent, the graphics were decent, the scenery was beautiful. I was nervous coming into this, seeing as Disney had some input. They can really I couldn't be more pleased with how this movie was handled. The book to screen adaptation was perfect - hardly any alterations from the story whatsoever. The children did a great job with the acting. The Christian themes and symbolism were prominent, the graphics were decent, the scenery was beautiful. I was nervous coming into this, seeing as Disney had some input. They can really screw things up. But they did a great job, and for that, I'm very grateful. I cannot wait to see the other six books come to life, especially if they're as careful with them as they were with LWW. Great movie. Expand
  59. JonathanH.
    Dec 26, 2005
    Disney
  60. MelanieG
    Dec 20, 2005
    Narnia was a wonderful movie. I can't say enough good things about it. C.S. Lewis didn't want his book to be made into a movie but I think that if he saw this dramatic presentation he would absolutely love it.
  61. ArielG
    Dec 30, 2005
    I found this movie fairly entertaining. The acting and the CGI was okay as well, not great but not too bad either. My only real complaint is the religious themes constantly being pushed throughout the movie. The older sister Susan is constantly made to look like an idiot and fool in every scene because she is logical and has no faith (which I think is a jab at atheists and I found this movie fairly entertaining. The acting and the CGI was okay as well, not great but not too bad either. My only real complaint is the religious themes constantly being pushed throughout the movie. The older sister Susan is constantly made to look like an idiot and fool in every scene because she is logical and has no faith (which I think is a jab at atheists and non-Christians), yet oldest brother Peter and youngest Lucy always succeed because they always 'follow their hearts' and do things on blind faith. This movie won't beat Lord of The Rings (any of the trilogy) as the best fantasy movie, but it's an good film if you ignore all the underlying messages and just watch the movie for what it could've been, a piece of entertainment. Expand
  62. dougalp.
    Dec 6, 2005
    An instant classic. Great perfomances from the kids and a never-to-be-bettered Tilda Swinton. Terrifically faithful to the book. A real pleasure.
  63. JasonS.
    Dec 8, 2005
    The best movie of the year!!!
  64. JohnS.
    Dec 8, 2005
    Excellent.
  65. CSLS
    Dec 9, 2005
    Chris B. was dead-on when he called it the "cinematic equivalent of a Creed concert." Whatever susbtance is under the flash is all allegory, while the flash is far too familiar. I don't see how they can get 2 more films out of this.
  66. CharlesC.
    Dec 9, 2005
    Watching this movie was like discovering an old dusty book and finding it to be a really good yarn. An absolutely enchanting beautiful mythical world best viewed with a childlike heart. Its worth opening the door and entering Narnia.
  67. DavidM.
    Dec 9, 2005
    There is a wonderful balance between lighthearted moments and scenes of heavier (though bloodless) action. All four children were very well cast and the added character introductions at the beginning of the movie set the pace instead of slowing the movie as some have suggested. Tilda Swinton is wonderful as the frosty titular villain, though unfortunately she doesn't quite project There is a wonderful balance between lighthearted moments and scenes of heavier (though bloodless) action. All four children were very well cast and the added character introductions at the beginning of the movie set the pace instead of slowing the movie as some have suggested. Tilda Swinton is wonderful as the frosty titular villain, though unfortunately she doesn't quite project the menacing visage I thought she should have. Instead she comes off as simply a spiteful squatter, desperately hoping the real ruler of Narnia doesn't show up and kick her to the curb. The first novel in C.S. Lewis' series has Christian imagery and allegory so obvious it's like a bat between the eyes, but fortunately Adamson again strikes a balance, giving devout Christians a nod while satisfying agnostics such as myself by keeping the symbols open to interpretation. As I mentioned earlier, there are significant similiarities to the previous LotR movies. If Aslan-as-Christ doesn't suit your fancy, how about Aslan-as-Gandalf? Adamson was quite possibly patterning some scenes after famous ones in the LotR movie trilogy, and it does make you wonder a few times, "haven't I seen this movie already?". This is not enough to completely detract from the quality of the film, fortunately. C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein may have been friends, but their respective worlds were very different, and honestly on different levels. That is not to say one is superior than another; while Middle Earth had depth, Narnia had humanity, and that is the difference and the reason why it is unfair to use LotR as some sort of yardstick that all fantasy movies much now be judged against. Expand
  68. BenH.
    Dec 9, 2005
    I had a great time at the movies! The translation from book to screen was great. A quarter of the way through the film I stopped referencing the book in my mind and simply went all into the movie. TLTWTW was a great movie going experience. I can't wait for the next one!
  69. AlanT.
    Dec 9, 2005
    A half-hearted and forgettable film that represents a huge missed opportunity to bring these great books to the big screen. What a waste.
  70. ProfB
    Dec 9, 2005
    Got to see an advance of this, and it's terrific. The review above calling it a LOTR Jr. is just about right. A thrilling and heart-warming (in a non-crappy-tv-movie way) movie.
  71. ElsaS.
    Dec 9, 2005
    While the film has many fine moments, it also has many draggy, poorly paced ones, too. The special effects are sometimes breathtaking, but often quite clumsy, too. The end result is an unformed mish-mash. Had more care gone into it, the film might have ended up a timeless classic. But it falls far short of that mark.
  72. FDLH
    Jan 11, 2006
    I can't believe this film got such a high mark. It's extremely mawkish, simplistic, full of cinematographic commonplaces, clichés, and is sexist in many ways (queen =evil, king=young boy (although the sister discovered everything in the first place)=good). In the end, it comes out as very common and trite. Mind you, the book is too, so why should the film be any better?
  73. RobertL.
    Jan 1, 2006
    Good effects, true to the book, acting is average. This one must be seen in the theater.
  74. HarryD.
    Jan 1, 2006
    I'm only 7 and I really liked it.
  75. SamD.
    Jan 1, 2006
    Great story, great acting, and great special effects.
  76. ChristineP.
    Jan 14, 2006
    An incredible adventure that pulls you right in! A future classic, for sure.
  77. DecepticonPom
    Jan 2, 2006
    Wasn't expecting great things beforehand but absolutely LOVED it.
  78. TimD.
    Jan 28, 2006
    Though it has aspects I appreciated (Liam Neeson, Tilda Swinton in the battle sequences, the youngest of the children) and moments I enjoyed very much (the use of silence and the heartbeat at the beginning of the battle sequence), overall I found it thin, lacking weight and power -- a genuine disappointment. This film doesn't even begin to compare with any one of Peter Jackson's Though it has aspects I appreciated (Liam Neeson, Tilda Swinton in the battle sequences, the youngest of the children) and moments I enjoyed very much (the use of silence and the heartbeat at the beginning of the battle sequence), overall I found it thin, lacking weight and power -- a genuine disappointment. This film doesn't even begin to compare with any one of Peter Jackson's Ring trilogy. Expand
  79. BrittanyS.
    Jan 3, 2006
    I thoruly enjoyed this movie. It was one of the best ones I saw this year!
  80. PaulF.
    Jan 3, 2006
    I like the movie so much more than the book. The book seemed childish and simplistic. The special effects and the acting really helped flush out the ideas. I'm not a christian but I thought the ideology was expressed in an entertaining and thoughtful way. I rate this movie almost on par with the Lord of the Rings. I pains me to say this but good job Disney.
  81. CaptainSpaulding
    Jan 30, 2006
    Excellent movie. Enjoyable by both children and adults. This movie had action, suspense, beautiful cinematography and great special effects (congrats WETA). It was a little on the violent side for very small kids, but the rest should love it! It was what I expected and more. My wife was very pleased as well, and she's a big Narnia fan! Great flick and we can't wait to see the Excellent movie. Enjoyable by both children and adults. This movie had action, suspense, beautiful cinematography and great special effects (congrats WETA). It was a little on the violent side for very small kids, but the rest should love it! It was what I expected and more. My wife was very pleased as well, and she's a big Narnia fan! Great flick and we can't wait to see the next one! Rated highly. Expand
  82. Mark
    Jan 3, 2006
    Enjoyable at times but plodding at others. the acting was a bit stiff - although the Pevensie's were casted well.
  83. CarolS.
    Jan 3, 2006
    The youngest child was delightful and the best actor of the group. Peter was pretty wooden. Why did Susan carry a bow an arrow if not to use it? Did she in fact have any function in this movie? The plot was lame. The White Witch was the most interesting and best played role. Unfortunately, one can't learn from the storyline why she is in power or why she should relinquish it.
  84. Michael
    Jan 4, 2006
    One word: "Magical". This is a very magical movie for both the young and old. It made me feel like a kid again. ;) Can't beat that feeling. TWO Thumbs Up.
  85. CarlE.
    Jan 5, 2006
    Boring... deadly dull. Only the special effects made this movie at all interesting. The acting was second-rate... worthy of a high school play at best.
  86. KandrasM.
    Jan 5, 2006
    Excellent, better than I could have imagined a remake would be. I loved the White WItch, she was so entranting.
  87. AleH.
    Jan 6, 2006
    It's Fantastic... already seen it 3 times, happily would go the fourth!!
  88. NickG.
    Jan 7, 2006
    Made everybody feel good. People even clapped in my theatre, which I have never seen before.
  89. ATop
    Jan 7, 2006
    What a waste of $10- boring and stupid. Oh, and stupid.
  90. TimB.
    Jan 8, 2006
    The only thing that saves this film is the special effects. The acting could be the worst I have seen in years. I am utterly confused how anyone could sit through a classic story, and see it portraited so poorly, and not be outraged. Disappointing.
  91. fionad.
    Jan 9, 2006
    It was good but when they had the battle and Edmund gets stabbed by the white witch he doesn't even bleed.
  92. ErikS.
    Feb 1, 2006
    Great! Very close to the book! I love the movie!
  93. WadeV.
    Mar 19, 2006
    anyone who loved the book is bound to love the movie. Made with very close attention to detail,it's lovingly brought to life, visually.Though if you haven't read the book,it risks leaving you scratching your head a bit. Do yourself a favour & read the book first!
  94. MarilynZ.
    Mar 2, 2006
    Highly entertaining and that's why I go to the movies.
  95. RickC.
    Apr 3, 2006
    This show was geared for children [***SPOILERS***] but the scene with the lion being scourged is unnecessarily cruel for children to watch. It was much too juvenile for adults and the CGI graphics were mediocre at best.
  96. Brutus
    May 16, 2006
    I wish some of these people would get over their angst over the Christian allegory thing, which is frankly hardly there unless you buld it up. Fundamentally, this story will never be done better. I loved the books, but a very long time ago. So when I saw the movie, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it seriously retained the magic of the book (for a audience of children, not a bunch I wish some of these people would get over their angst over the Christian allegory thing, which is frankly hardly there unless you buld it up. Fundamentally, this story will never be done better. I loved the books, but a very long time ago. So when I saw the movie, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it seriously retained the magic of the book (for a audience of children, not a bunch of CGI nerds who apparently wanted another Lord of the Rings) and that the battle scene was (unlike the book) pretty damn good. And the performances of the kids were delightful. Roll on the next one. Expand
  97. DanaM.
    Jun 12, 2006
    Loved the production, but it strayed too much from the original story line where it didn't need to. Great filming, action, and staging.
  98. PatC.
    Jun 30, 2006
    Nice movie with good digital effects, but surprisingly lacking in substance. There's a wierd theme embedded in the story involving children in wartime who don't miss their parents and are free to be self-directed without consequences. The value set that emerges borders on the narcissistic.
  99. DaleM.
    Jun 3, 2006
    Good story....good special effects...much like LOTR in theme and feeling.
  100. Tom
    Aug 6, 2006
    Rather boring, effects were good, but the film was restricted by the plots and story from the orginal book. The cast were very average at best and the pacing of the story itself was not particularly creative. Nothing in the film to make me want to see it again.

1. What is lightly sketched in the novel, where much is left to the imagination, blossoms into full-blown, richly detailed life in the movie.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    An array of supporting craftspeople pull the viewer into a credible alternative world, even if the film itself is more prosaic than inspiring.
    The problem with any allegorical plan, Christian or otherwise, is not its ideological content but the blockish threat that it poses to the flow of a story.