Buena Vista Pictures | Release Date: December 9, 2005
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 697 Ratings
Watch Now
vetorAug 7, 2017
The Chronicles Of Narnia:The Lion,The Witch And the Wardrobe Brings a good adaptation of the book, with incredible special effects and charismatic characters.
MasterRileyJan 21, 2017
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a great movie with a lot of wonder and spectacle. It is a fun journey that the whole family can enjoy watching.
SpangleNov 16, 2016
If I were not as much of a killjoy when it came to family-oriented entertainment, The Chronicles of Narnia would have worked far better for me. However, the negatives simply are too much for me to ignore and write-off, in spite of the greatIf I were not as much of a killjoy when it came to family-oriented entertainment, The Chronicles of Narnia would have worked far better for me. However, the negatives simply are too much for me to ignore and write-off, in spite of the great positives of the film. A tale of faith and family, The Chronicles of Narnia is, above all else, a celebration of the imagination of children. Here, the film soars. Yet, it is bogged down by bad children actors, annoying children, and cliche storylines that have been around for 2,000 years and first recorded by the disciples.

Set during World War I, the film shows four children who are sent to the country to escape the bombing occurring in their hometown. While in the country, they stumble upon a wardrobe that leads to a magical land; Narnia. Unfortunately, Narnia is under the control of the White Witch (Tilda Swinton). However, Narnia's creator, Aslan the Lion (Liam Neeson), is set to team up with the four children - who were prophesied to be the saviors of the land - to rescue Narnia from tyranny. Throughout the film, there are obvious illusions that Aslan is Jesus and by illusions, of course, I mean a recreation of the crucifixion, resurrection, and prophecy that he will return once more to the land he created. While quite overt and barely hiding its pro-Christian inclinations, The Chronicles of Narnia are a refreshing look at Christianity in the modern world in some regards. A uniting force that instills the land with hope for those who believe in the prophecy, the film is one of the few to really invigorate and justify faith in the 21st Century.

Additionally, the film's sense of adventure and wonder is fantastic, emphasized by the cinematography. Not only is it beautiful, but it is also quite expansive. It highlights both the beauty and the grandeur of Narnia with great depth. This world truly comes to life due to the way in which it is shot. This sense of wonder is also matched by the inventiveness of the plot. While fawns, centaurs, and talking animals, are hardly original, The Chronicles of Narnia injects each with a sense of energy that really sets the stakes. In many ways, it also drives home the religious element of the film. Those that are God's creations - people (even half-people) and animals - have waited for specific sons of Adam and daughters of Eve to liberate them from those that are not of God, which in this film are the White Witch, evil dwarves, and the hideous beasts she has on her side.

The film does fall apart, however, when considering the acting. The kids are deplorably bad. While Tilda Swinton is magnificent and undeniably steals the show, the kids that surround her really leave a lot to be desired. Their characters are also written very poorly, especially Edmund. One of the most aggravating children characters ever, he knows the stakes, knows the witch will kill his family, and yet he still rats them out repeatedly for turkish delights. It defies logic and did not sit well with we in the least. I can see him ratting them out the first time. However, once he learns what it is going on and the stakes, I cannot buy that any child - no matter how bratty, annoying, and selfish - would do what Edmund did. If he were still in the dark, maybe, but not once he has seen what the witch was capable of doing. This is very lazy writing and exists merely to try and raise the stakes, while setting up the crucifixion of Aslan. Given how ham-fisted that was anyways, it is probably something that could have been skipped.

Additionally, the battle sequence is quite superfluous. As in all fantasy films of this type, there must be a battle. I wish there were one film that did not do this and instead overturned the tyranny without bloodshed in this fashion. It is just so cliche and overdone at this point. Unfortunately for The Chronicles of Narnia, though flaming arrows turning into phoenix is quite cool looking, its battle is quite ineffectual. Even worse, it is predictable and cliche. Each moment comes with the subtly of a punch to the face. What makes the battle worse is that once Aslan is resurrected, the realization that there are no stakes (it is impossible to die) really kills any tension in the battle. It may make it more family friendly, but as a film, it really does not work well.

In spite of overt religious recreations that reveal the thematic elements with no subtly whatsoever, bad child actors, and a useless battle sequence, The Chronicles of Narnia can be a fun and inventive film that introduces one great character: the White Witch. In a darker and more adult film, having Tilda Swinton in a role such as this would be the beginnings of a perfect film. Here, however, she is largely wasted.
FreedomFightersNov 3, 2016
Walden Media and Disney's adaptation of the C.S. Lewis book is an extremely enjoyable one. The visuals are gorgeous, the story is interesting, it's faithful to the book, and the acting is pretty good. At the end of the day, that's exactlyWalden Media and Disney's adaptation of the C.S. Lewis book is an extremely enjoyable one. The visuals are gorgeous, the story is interesting, it's faithful to the book, and the acting is pretty good. At the end of the day, that's exactly what you want a film like this to be. Even if you never read the book, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" is a great film and a great watch for the whole family. Expand
aadityamudharApr 19, 2016
I love when they take a favorite childhood story of mine and adapt it to the big screen. I am always a little weary when it's Disney thou. You never know what Disney is going to do with it, however in the case of The Lion, The Witch, TheI love when they take a favorite childhood story of mine and adapt it to the big screen. I am always a little weary when it's Disney thou. You never know what Disney is going to do with it, however in the case of The Lion, The Witch, The Wardrobe, is a homerun. They didn't shorten this film into some hour and a half movie about love. They took their time and told the story as it was meant to be told. All the kids were new to the big screen and were terrific. It's a classic tale that is over 60 years old and it's as fresh and relevant today as it was then. Two big thumbs up for the first of the Narnia tales, personally I hope they make all seven of them into feature films! Expand
EpicLadySpongeFeb 13, 2016
This Narnia installment shows us that the Chronicles has really tried, but fails to impress all of us anyways. A better aim for the franchise is aimed for fans of the franchise.
CineAutoctonoJul 21, 2015
Obviously the fantasy genre in film is always impressive having this amazing Disney movie , what I liked most is the final battle , Cool huh ?. good and the other two films or say .
JosephASowellMay 13, 2015
This movie is an excellent adaptation from book to screen. This is one of the very few cases in which the movie surpasses the book. If you enjoyed the book, you will enjoy this movie.
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
As the bean counters toil, Eustace waits. So does Jill. And Polly and Digory, too. Walden Media has optioned all seven of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia books, but whether the other six (or, more likely, five - since The Horse and His BoyAs the bean counters toil, Eustace waits. So does Jill. And Polly and Digory, too. Walden Media has optioned all seven of C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia books, but whether the other six (or, more likely, five - since The Horse and His Boy seems an unlikely choice to film) make it to the screen will depend heavily on how much money The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe earns. If the movie scores big with audiences, we will likely be watching Prince Caspian in another two or three years.

This marks the fifth time that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe has been adapted, but the first time it has been accomplished as a major motion picture. The first version was a radio play done while C.S. Lewis was still alive. The second, a 10-part TV series, was produced a few years after his death. There was also a 1979 animated edition, and a three-hour interpretation made for British TV in 1988. The only new things that Andrew Adamson's adaptation brings to the table are better production values and more impressive special effects. There is a tendency to say that this The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is redundant.

The film is geared primarily toward a younger audience and parents who want to have something to see with their brood. Those expecting the epic scope and depth of The Lord of the Rings will be disappointed. Both sagas are fantasies, and both feature dramatic battle scenes, but The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is sanitized. The conflict of armies is sketched rather than developed, and many of the themes are presented in easily digestible chunks. Lewis' book was a short, clear-cut fairy tale aimed at children. The movie adopts this tone and approach. It is faithful to the author's vision, and that represents both a strength (for those who have appropriate expectations) and a weakness (for those who are anticipating something more in line with The Lord of the Rings - as hinted at by the commercials).

The film, despite having come out of the same New Zealand workshop that did such an excellent job bringing The Lord of the Rings to life, lacks the same degree of technical polish. Little glitches in the special effects can be seen from time-to-time. The most persistent of these is the look of Aslan, who never appears real. He looks like a computer-generated lion. If one wishes to view Aslan as "more" than a big cat, then one could consider the "unrealness" to be an asset. To me, it looked like the computer animators couldn't quite get it right. Also, I have to question the decision to use Liam Neeson's voice. Although Neeson has perfect diction, he lacks the "booming" quality that would have leant the lion's voice added authority.

My biggest reservations relate to the climactic battle scene. Lewis spent little time in the book describing this. It is, after all, a children's story. For the movie, director Andrew Adamson (Shrek, Shrek 2) and his team decide to show a clash between armies in which hundreds of creatures are killed but, in doing this, they avoid blood and gore. It becomes a clean, perfunctory war, and that's an odd and unsatisfying approach. If we're going to be shown a battle, the entire thing should be depicted in its ugliness. Instead we get a cleaned-up version with plenty of "look away" edits. It gets the movie its desired PG rating.

Some scenes in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (such as the one featuring Father Christmas) are childish. Others (which I will not mention here to avoid providing spoilers) are poignant. The film's central tragedy is handled with sensitivity, and tears will flow. On balance, more of the movie works than doesn't, but this isn't 140 minutes of unqualified successes.

The acting is fine, although lacking in the recognition category. The biggest stars are Tilda Swinton and Jim Broadbent, neither of whom would be considered a "household name." Swinton does a good job boosting the evil quotient of her character, while Broadbent's part qualifies as little more than a heavily made-up cameo. As previously mentioned, Liam Neeson has a sizeable vocal part. Also lending their voices are Rupert Everett and Ray Winstone. Three of the four children are portrayed by actors in their first major roles. Only Anna Popplewell has a prior resume.

It's difficult to determine how audiences will react to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Those expecting something in the vein of Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings will not be satisfied. Much has been made about the movie's "Christian connections." However, while it's true that Lewis' books are allegorical (with Aslan representing Christ), the movie doesn't hammer home this point.
wilsoncoolMar 16, 2015
This is not my LOTR. This movie so close with harry blooper and bit better than twilight but not for oscar best picture such as LOTR trilogy. Yes the chronicles of narnia is decent and worth watching. Far from my expectation because LOTR andThis is not my LOTR. This movie so close with harry blooper and bit better than twilight but not for oscar best picture such as LOTR trilogy. Yes the chronicles of narnia is decent and worth watching. Far from my expectation because LOTR and narnia has the same story, about war in other world. Expand
cascadaJan 31, 2015
The film is simply brilliant. Tilda Swinton plays the White Witch to perfection. It is a family friendly film with Lord of The Rings action scenes that was not expected. This is a must see.
HypocriticsDec 24, 2014
I'll start off with the bad. The acting was, for the most part, sub-par and heavily reliant on child actors. The story seemed rushed from beginning to end, which was especially unfortunate when the filmakers expected Edmund to go from 0 toI'll start off with the bad. The acting was, for the most part, sub-par and heavily reliant on child actors. The story seemed rushed from beginning to end, which was especially unfortunate when the filmakers expected Edmund to go from 0 to Hero in a half hour. The battle scenes were corny, to say the least, with a severe limitation on realistic gore/violence due to the PG rating. The choreography in these battles was poor as well; almost laughably so.

However, the film had its moments of brilliance. The more intimate scenes, such as Lucy first passing into Narnia, were excellent. The soundtrack was fitting, adding spice to even the most banal scenes. The story itself, of course, is a creative piece of genius. Aslan and the White Witch, fortunately, were not among the rookie actors.

All things considered, a very average movie that had the potential to be great.
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe starts off an inevitable saga with finesse, entertaining audiences with something exciting and refreshing.
oxanaAug 28, 2014
While this movie is good, and the special effects are nothing to complain about, I think what bugs me most about this movie is the story - or rather, how they told it.

For one, we have four children stepping into a world of Narnia, of

For one, we have four children stepping into a world of Narnia, of which they have never heard of. Thrown into a whirlwind of prophesies and the promises of a White Witch, they take it pretty strangely; part of the time the eldest (Peter and Susan, although mostly Susan) are a bit skeptical of the whole thing. And when they are suddenly being addressed as Kings and Queens, and handed weapons to fight a war that will determine the freedom of the people of Narnia, it seems they are suddenly stepping right into their roles.

Not to mention riding into war with next to no training at all...

Another thing was the war scene. This is a Disney movie, and a PG one of that. So, we're going to see "death", but there's no blood or actual details shown, and that really ruins the big fighting scene that is otherwise pretty brutal. Also, a lot of "artistic" choices like blurring the surroundings and focusing on a couple of people interacting... that just didn't work for me at all. Just another way to avoid the gore going on around.

Other than that, it is a great start for the following movies. A good story with strong themes like growing up and taking responsibility of your own actions and decisions.

An amazing soundtrack, too! I love to listen to it, and it's really fitting. Not too dramatic, not too loud. Just right.
OfficialMar 8, 2014
Mostly satisfying and enjoyable - we have some great battle scenes, a nicely-paced storyline, and a well-portrayed villain. Although not quite as good as the "Harry Potter" movies, and not nearly as good as the "Lord of the Rings" movies,Mostly satisfying and enjoyable - we have some great battle scenes, a nicely-paced storyline, and a well-portrayed villain. Although not quite as good as the "Harry Potter" movies, and not nearly as good as the "Lord of the Rings" movies, this first installment still provides plenty of entertainment. Expand
MovieGuysFeb 22, 2014
It's an escape from real life in every way, but The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is not very well done. It's too kid-oriented so that adults can't enjoy it as much.
Laekerson95Jan 31, 2014
A movie case worth and privileged to have on the shelf. It's a child's fantasy escape and an overall thematic tale of biblical proportions, made to share with believers or movielovers. The problem with Narnia is the magical feel toward thisA movie case worth and privileged to have on the shelf. It's a child's fantasy escape and an overall thematic tale of biblical proportions, made to share with believers or movielovers. The problem with Narnia is the magical feel toward this fantasy world is not enduring. It'll put a smile on your face, but it's no Lord of the Rings or Pan's Labyrinth. Expand
Trev29Nov 29, 2013
It was a very nice movie. It really does have quite an outstanding storyline full of fantasy. The music is absolutely exceptional. It is children's movie that is great for everybody.
eagleeyevikingNov 29, 2013
It might feel like a kid version of Lord of the Rings but Narnia provides on its own behalf with its grand imagery and fantastical world and characters.
DibbHansenJul 18, 2013
A wonderful fantasy film that sticks very closely to the classic novel on which it is based. The acting is great, the music is inspiring, the action is epic- over all this film is a grand addition to the fantasy genre and a classic filmA wonderful fantasy film that sticks very closely to the classic novel on which it is based. The acting is great, the music is inspiring, the action is epic- over all this film is a grand addition to the fantasy genre and a classic film adaption that is very, very enjoyable and spiritual. Expand
AlienSpaceBatsMar 10, 2013
Quite charming and inoffensive, I have fond memories of the novel,1979 Children's Television Workshop and BBC adaptations and in most regards this film ticks all the right boxes (it does more right than it does wrong).
Tss5078Feb 24, 2013
ballpark_frankNov 24, 2012
I sort of like this movie, but might appreciate it more if/when I read the book (and the rest of the Narnia Chronicles). It's not hard to notice the 'Biblical overtones', which to my understanding the author didn't go out of his way toI sort of like this movie, but might appreciate it more if/when I read the book (and the rest of the Narnia Chronicles). It's not hard to notice the 'Biblical overtones', which to my understanding the author didn't go out of his way to include, but also didn't try to disguise the connection. But, placing that aside, it's a cute story about four kids who discover an alternate universe/world, full of magical beings and talking creatures. I thought the special effects were pretty decent, and almost 'believable'. The background scenery is beautiful, which should be a clue to the plot to come. There's an evil being - the White Witch - who's trying to, well, take over the world. It's up to the four children, along with the friends they've made along the way, to stop her. Of course, there's also the primary 'hero', the Lion Aslan - the representation of good. It's also, on another level, a coming-of-age story for the four children. Overall, I'd say this is a decent family film - and for anyone who's concerned about the religious aspects, I'd say: Give it a rest, just enjoy it for it's story. IMHO, if children are old enough to be influenced by anything in this film, then they're also old enough to actually make up their own minds as to what they will take away from viewing this. Expand
SeriosityNov 4, 2012
The fantasy aspect is very dull and weak and the action is underwhelming. It is not completely devoid of entertainment value, but it is too safe and contrived.
jetpackulleySep 11, 2012
I really loved this movie. It's like the start and the marvelous introduction to a saga that will surely be the next Harry Potterish phenomenon! it is not boring, it is not tedious, it is not for the faint of heart and truly, it is somethingI really loved this movie. It's like the start and the marvelous introduction to a saga that will surely be the next Harry Potterish phenomenon! it is not boring, it is not tedious, it is not for the faint of heart and truly, it is something that cannot be lost for sure. Definetly, not one of the movies you wanna miss! Expand
csw12Apr 3, 2012
Chronicles of Narnia is an extremely corny and childish film. The action scenes prove my point. The decent thing in the movie is the average battle scene at the end. Acting was pitiful and i guess it will do fine with the younger crowd.
ZilcellApr 1, 2012
I don't know about the book, but this movie has a great story and a good heart at its core. It is just about everything you could want in a fantasy movie.
MegWhiteleyMar 28, 2012
I think that this movie is a bigger sorprise. The book is excellent, and this movie have and incredible esscence of the books, the cast have a great performance, is an amazing movie.
NickkkMar 14, 2012
I'm sincerely surprised that this movie got so many praises from critics while users usually disliked it. This is maybe one of the best epic fantasy films: nice camera, nice ambient and even nicer soundtrack and the main roles being played byI'm sincerely surprised that this movie got so many praises from critics while users usually disliked it. This is maybe one of the best epic fantasy films: nice camera, nice ambient and even nicer soundtrack and the main roles being played by kids isn't devaluating it at all. A must-watch for fans of this genre. Expand
CooterPatooterMar 7, 2012
Yet ANOTHER attempt to trick young viewers (and readers of the books) into embracing Christianity by disguising its main story points in a fantasy setting. But dishonest and underhanded proselytizing techniques aside, the film itself isYet ANOTHER attempt to trick young viewers (and readers of the books) into embracing Christianity by disguising its main story points in a fantasy setting. But dishonest and underhanded proselytizing techniques aside, the film itself is still below average at best. By the time the film finally picks up pace... it's the end. A fairly exciting battle scene at the end featuring many different creatures is the one and only high point but prepare to sit through nearly two hours of marginally-disguised preaching to get there. Expand
HMWMar 7, 2012
This movie was so great, it is now my favorite move. It went almost exactly by the book and it felt like I was actually reading the book while I was watching the movie. The movie had fantasy, comedy, action , and everything else that makes aThis movie was so great, it is now my favorite move. It went almost exactly by the book and it felt like I was actually reading the book while I was watching the movie. The movie had fantasy, comedy, action , and everything else that makes a great movie. I would recommend it to anyone. Expand
eTurkeyFeb 24, 2012
"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first film in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series of books in which this film was adapted from. The special effects in this movie are beauteous but It's the landscapes which are simply breathtaking."The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first film in the "Chronicles of Narnia" series of books in which this film was adapted from. The special effects in this movie are beauteous but It's the landscapes which are simply breathtaking. The acting from the children is nothing special but Tilda Swinton manages to convincingly portray the White Witch as the horrible **** she was in the novel and I must make mention of Liam Neeson who was an excellent choice as the voice of Aslan. I would recommend reading the book first however. Expand
HalfwelshmanDec 26, 2011
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a really decent, heartfelt fantasy epic for all ages. It's visually superb, particularly the portrayal of realistic talking animals (without which the film could never work),The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a really decent, heartfelt fantasy epic for all ages. It's visually superb, particularly the portrayal of realistic talking animals (without which the film could never work), and has some good performances, most prominently Tilda Swinton's icily creepy White Witch and James McAvoy's pitch-perfect Mr Tumnus. The central characters of the Pevensies are effortlessly believable as a genuine family of siblings - they squabble, they poke fun at each other and they sulk, but when all's said and done they love each other very deeply. The girls (Anna Popplewell and particularly Georgie Henley) are infinitely more talented than the boys (William Moseley and Skandar Keynes) and make more compelling protagonists as a result, but as a group, they are all engaging. Though it's always entertaining, Andrew Adamson's film is far from original - he owes so much to Peter Jackson and his Lord of the Rings trilogy, with New Zealand standing in for Narnia as well as Middle Earth, and with the involvement of Weta Workshop. Though it's got some great moments, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe can never escape feeling like an inferior Lord of the Rings - it's nowhere near as rich, well-told or emotionally compelling. Expand
joseap84Nov 24, 2011
Incredible story. In my opinion a masterpiece within its genre. This first entry into the world of Narnia is simply amazing. You can't go wrong with this movie, good for all ages.
marnee96Nov 5, 2011
It's magical, beautifully scored, impressively designed and well acted. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a worthy companion to it's classical novel of the same name. 4/4 stars.
Potter17Oct 9, 2011
The technical aspects (makeup, art direction, costumes) are the best part and the adaptation doesn't let you down. Add good acting and jaw-dropping visual effects and you have the best film of the series so far.
grandpajoe6191Oct 2, 2011
"The Chronicles of Narnia" is not a masterpiece due to its newbie actors, but it manages to give the pure entertainment most summer blockbusters provide.
CRLAug 12, 2011
This movie is a respectable and somewhat enjoyable attempt to bring C.S. Lewis's iconic series to life. Really, it's a decent job for something that naturally doesn't translate well from it's allegorical roots into the fast-paced andThis movie is a respectable and somewhat enjoyable attempt to bring C.S. Lewis's iconic series to life. Really, it's a decent job for something that naturally doesn't translate well from it's allegorical roots into the fast-paced and entertaining movie world. Expand
RyanLopezMar 3, 2011
This movie is the 2nd best in the series, not only is it a good series opener, it would be a good closer too, but they did not make it like that. I liked all the war action and stuff
gm101Feb 9, 2011
I may not be a Christian, but that didn't mean I couldn't enjoy this movie. Definitely one of the best flicks of 2005. Very LOTR-esque, but better! I have very fond memories of watching this in theaters.
MovieLonely94Oct 13, 2010
Okay. anyone who hates this movie are taking things way too seriously. first, some of you hated the second Harry Potter movie and you gave the same score like this one? guys, what the heck? THIS MOVIE IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!! the charactersOkay. anyone who hates this movie are taking things way too seriously. first, some of you hated the second Harry Potter movie and you gave the same score like this one? guys, what the heck? THIS MOVIE IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!! the characters were supporting, the storyline was great, and the source material is brilliant which makes this movie a top-notch fantasy adventure movie for fans of Narnia. Expand
GoldenEye16Aug 22, 2010
It was decent but its no Lord of the Rings. I wish the action would have been better (more exciting) and I felt like I didn't care about the characters that much. Also the acting wasn't that great.
VladimirMMay 29, 2009
Same garbage as Lord of the rings. People who enjoyed TLOR will be bored with this movie because is exactly the same boring, long, child and stupid movie. If you really want a good "phantasy" book then read "Neverending history".
0 of 2 users found this helpful
ChristosMMar 18, 2009
If someone can ignore the dangerous political messages that linger under Lewis's writting,will enjoy Tilda Swinton's excellently acted Witch! What a great actress she is!And the visuals off course are absolutely satisfying!
SamSDec 25, 2008
A fantastic film with great energy and heart. One of my all-time favorites, also featuring a great soundtrack with an awesome musical score and wonderful songs to finish your journey during the closing credits.
DanielleDec 11, 2008
I'd rather watch epic movie. the parody captured my attention, this bored me to tears when my best friend forced me to endure the painstaking 2 hours 20 minute of fantasy. I'm a teenage girl, I don't want to see a kiddy I'd rather watch epic movie. the parody captured my attention, this bored me to tears when my best friend forced me to endure the painstaking 2 hours 20 minute of fantasy. I'm a teenage girl, I don't want to see a kiddy fantasy story with not an ounce of humor or romance in it.I can find homor in Titanic. The battle seen wasn't frightening even Expand
KateKOct 5, 2008
This movie is pretty good! I like the plot and the characters but I must admit this isn't my fave movie.
WoarkieASep 27, 2008
As in Lewis' classic, little time is wasted getting our youthful characters into the incredible fantastic adventure. Exquisite production design and an impassioned creative vision by all those involved.
DarrelO Aug 4, 2008
I bought the movie for my kids, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Yeah, there are some things in the graphics that could be better, but I think it has a good message and it's very watchable.
DavidKJun 27, 2008
Great movie that stayed true to the great the author's writings. My children watch it over & over (although we jump past the stone table scene). Excited to see Prince Caspian!
VyP.Jun 21, 2008
Totally worst movie I saw. Can't believe somebody can watch it. The acting and visuals suck, not even talking about dump story.
BrittneyWJun 5, 2007
I loved this movie. I would like to see a second one made, if possible. It was so realistic in all, and I just loved it.!!!
LouisH.Mar 21, 2007
INCREDIBLE!!!!! One of the best fantasy films in history! After reading the books, and seeing the trailer, I was one of the first to appear at its premier. I love this movie, it is definitely worth seeing and buying.
2 of 3 users found this helpful
terrytDec 27, 2006
Our family all read the book concurrently and then went to see the film. What a rich experience only enjoyed if the book is read first. In an era of instant gratification and a lack of discipline, this was a refreshing piece of entertainment Our family all read the book concurrently and then went to see the film. What a rich experience only enjoyed if the book is read first. In an era of instant gratification and a lack of discipline, this was a refreshing piece of entertainment on a different level. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
JudyT.Sep 24, 2006
Strickly for kids.
MattH.Sep 2, 2006
[***SPOILERS***] The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a watchable movie, if not exactly the cat's meow (or is it the lion's roar?). This first feature film based on C.S. Lewis's seven part fantasy [***SPOILERS***] The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a watchable movie, if not exactly the cat's meow (or is it the lion's roar?). This first feature film based on C.S. Lewis's seven part fantasy series, follows a little more in the footsteps of the Harry Potter films than The Lord of the Rings movies, given that Lord of the Rings was great all the way through while Harry Potter took three to four movies before it became a genuine crowd pleaser. But back to Narnia. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe opens with a scene of the German blitz of London in World War II, which forces parents all over the city to send their children away by train, including the parents, or rather just the mother of our four child heroes, the Pevensie siblings-- Lucy, Edmund, Susan and Peter. The fact that parents really did this during the war makes the film's title sequence all the more sad and it's accompanied by a rather melancholy song that I couldn't really make out the lyrics to, but was still very lovely to hear because it perfectly captures the feelings that these kids must have as they have to leave their parents with the possibility that they may never see them again. The performances are, on the whole, not entirely noteworthy, save for Tilda Swinton as the White Which, Jadis. Swinton plays her part superbly acting with an icy menace all throughout the movie. You really root for the good guys to get her because she has such a cold, cruel presence. Liam Neeson lends his voice to the lion, Aslan with a Godlike persona, which works because of the film's Christian spirit, personified by Aslan being Martyred by the Witch then rising from the dead to fulfill his purpose (which should please churchgoers). Aslan emanates a sense of someone who is gently confident and assured but can become formidable and dangerous at any time, especially when confronted by an enemy. The rest of the cast (including the talking animals) is alright, but they don't stand up to Swinton and Neeson, who sparkle in their roles. Director Andrew Adamson (Shrek, Shrek 2) does a commendable job of capturing the book's Cristian spirit, espescially in the scene where Aslan goes up to Jadis to sacrifice himself in Edmund's place, where he's humiliated, shaved and finally stabbed by the witch, only to rise again in the morning (I admit though, I was a bit concerned about Santa Claus giving Lucy a dagger, given that she doesn't really use it and she doesn't even look old enough to be in grade school yet). However, he's far less successful with the film's special effects. All of the creatures in the movie, from the beavers, to the wolves, to Aslan, to a great many of the creatures in Aslan's army and the witch's army, and even a few of the digitalized environments look obviously computer-generated. Seeing as director Adamson was a veteran of the Shrek movies, which are entirely computer-animated, that could be one of the reasons as to why this is, but I think much of it has to do with many of the talking creatures in this movie being animals that we see in the real world. You might note that in animated movies, even computer-animated ones, animals like birds, fish, lions, horses, donkeys-basically any animal that exists in the real world, tend to have their faces and heads reshaped quite a bit so they can talk and show human expressions. Their faces become completely mobile, their jaws and mouths move properly to simulate human language, they have lips that move appropriately with their speech, they have vocal cords shown as lumps inside the throat that move when they speak, and their tongues move in different ways depending on what they're saying. This works in animated movies because the animals are cartoons, so you can make them look and move however you want, and it works even when you're animating an entirely made up creature, like a dragon, and integrating it into a live action movie because, likewise, you can make it look and move any way you want, though you might still want to go for the most realistic look possible because you're putting something that's not there in a real environment. However, animals that we know from the real world clearly just weren't made to talk like people, and seeing as the filmmakers realized that they needed to fully computer animate the animals to make their speech blend fluidly with the rest of their bodies, the end results just look fake. This, ultimately, makes me wonder as to why the Academy nominated this movie for a best visual effects Oscar. Both Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire had far, far better special effects than this movie and I would have gladly traded this movie for one of those two for visual effects. The PG rating is also something to take note of as there are several violent and frightening moments in the movie that frequently feel as if they were watered down just to maintain appeal with the kids. The big battle at the end of the film for instance doesn't feel as visceral as a real battle might have been as the filmmakers include plenty of deaths, but no gore. Hmmm..... the Mouse House is toning down a movie filled with battles and fairly high violence just to make it appropriate for kids? Bad move. Doing so robs the movie of one crucial element to make it work- the sense that something vital is at stake. When the filmmakers or their studios decide to tone down the violence to a "comfortable" level, we get the sense that everything will be alright, that there's no real danger to the characters, so we watch in a bit of a detatched way, entertained by the action, if not involved in it because we don't quite connect with the situation. I wonder, though, if the series will eventually tilt over into a PG-13 rating with the possibility of an R rating looming over the final film much like the Harry Potter series. We'll have to see the remaining six Narnia movies to find out, and, like Harry Potter, we'll just have to see if The Chronicles of Narnia, in it's future, can cast a real spell over us. Expand
TomAug 6, 2006
Rather boring, effects were good, but the film was restricted by the plots and story from the orginal book. The cast were very average at best and the pacing of the story itself was not particularly creative. Nothing in the film to make me Rather boring, effects were good, but the film was restricted by the plots and story from the orginal book. The cast were very average at best and the pacing of the story itself was not particularly creative. Nothing in the film to make me want to see it again. Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
PatC.Jun 30, 2006
Nice movie with good digital effects, but surprisingly lacking in substance. There's a wierd theme embedded in the story involving children in wartime who don't miss their parents and are free to be self-directed without Nice movie with good digital effects, but surprisingly lacking in substance. There's a wierd theme embedded in the story involving children in wartime who don't miss their parents and are free to be self-directed without consequences. The value set that emerges borders on the narcissistic. Expand
SamJun 25, 2006
The movie was a masterpiece the first time I saw it. Gorgeous, thrilling, thought-provoking, and brilliant. The 2nd time around, however, was almost the opposite, save for some cool effects and scenes.
DanaM.Jun 12, 2006
Loved the production, but it strayed too much from the original story line where it didn't need to. Great filming, action, and staging.
DaleM.Jun 3, 2006
Good story....good special effects...much like LOTR in theme and feeling.
PamL.May 20, 2006
I enjoyed this movie. No -- it wasn't as grand or captivating as Lord of the Rings, but nor was it intended to be. I thought the casting was quite good, including the children, and I loved the ending with Lucy and the professor at the I enjoyed this movie. No -- it wasn't as grand or captivating as Lord of the Rings, but nor was it intended to be. I thought the casting was quite good, including the children, and I loved the ending with Lucy and the professor at the end -- a deviation from the book that played well on the screen. Expand
DavidG.May 19, 2006
Very nice movie for both children and adults. The animation is just great and make the battle very realistic (actually, way above my expectations). Great movie!
TylerW.May 18, 2006
Well, as far as small children(4-8)might enjoy this film. For the older crowd, this was an awful film. The acting is horrid(children almost always are bad)the plot is weak, and the action is sub-par at best. Pkease, if you wish to get a Well, as far as small children(4-8)might enjoy this film. For the older crowd, this was an awful film. The acting is horrid(children almost always are bad)the plot is weak, and the action is sub-par at best. Pkease, if you wish to get a friend into sword play action adventure, let them watch Lord of the Rings. Any LOTR is better than this sad moive. Expand
CharlieN.May 17, 2006
Very entertaining...one of the best family films of the 2005!
BrutusMay 16, 2006
I wish some of these people would get over their angst over the Christian allegory thing, which is frankly hardly there unless you buld it up. Fundamentally, this story will never be done better. I loved the books, but a very long time ago. I wish some of these people would get over their angst over the Christian allegory thing, which is frankly hardly there unless you buld it up. Fundamentally, this story will never be done better. I loved the books, but a very long time ago. So when I saw the movie, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it seriously retained the magic of the book (for a audience of children, not a bunch of CGI nerds who apparently wanted another Lord of the Rings) and that the battle scene was (unlike the book) pretty damn good. And the performances of the kids were delightful. Roll on the next one. Expand
JoshS.Apr 23, 2006
I cannot for the life of me understand why this movie got so many positive reviews. It wasn't a terrible movie; the soundtrack was phenomenal and the voice acting was well done. But the wooden performances, the 90's-level CGI, the I cannot for the life of me understand why this movie got so many positive reviews. It wasn't a terrible movie; the soundtrack was phenomenal and the voice acting was well done. But the wooden performances, the 90's-level CGI, the abysmal pacing...I definitely expected more. Expand
ElodieT.Apr 11, 2006
Loved the movie, although I'd never read the books. Great entertainment, and all-ages!
AndreR.Apr 11, 2006
Although this movie is certainly not up to par with other great epic films, it still delivers a very rich story with great characters and plenty of eye candy for both kids and the young at heart.
JoshD.Apr 10, 2006
What is wrong with you people for voting low? Do you not have any sense of appreciation for true quality movies? Most of the bad ratings are probably from people who laugh at vomit jokes. My 7 yo nephew, my mother and father and I all What is wrong with you people for voting low? Do you not have any sense of appreciation for true quality movies? Most of the bad ratings are probably from people who laugh at vomit jokes. My 7 yo nephew, my mother and father and I all enjoyed this movie. It was not the best film I've ever seen, but it was a solid 8. Expand
VamicaV.Apr 9, 2006
So Poor such a disappointment! I never thought it was possible to screw up such a good story! Acting was so bad gr it pained me to watch
HCarterApr 8, 2006
Started off ok--but the adapted screenplay wasn't so great. And of course--everything kind of goes downhill from there. You could say, "hey, it's geared towards kids" but that's sort of apologizing for it. There are plenty of Started off ok--but the adapted screenplay wasn't so great. And of course--everything kind of goes downhill from there. You could say, "hey, it's geared towards kids" but that's sort of apologizing for it. There are plenty of movies out there that are solid regardless of age (any pixar movie). It wasn't a horrible movie though, mostly just medicore. Expand
RickC.Apr 3, 2006
This show was geared for children [***SPOILERS***] but the scene with the lion being scourged is unnecessarily cruel for children to watch. It was much too juvenile for adults and the CGI graphics were mediocre at best.
KumarApr 1, 2006
An amzing adaption that will delight fans and non-fans alike. I especially enjoyed Liam Neeson's vocie talents as Aslan.
WadeV.Mar 19, 2006
anyone who loved the book is bound to love the movie. Made with very close attention to detail,it's lovingly brought to life, visually.Though if you haven't read the book,it risks leaving you scratching your head a bit. Do yourself anyone who loved the book is bound to love the movie. Made with very close attention to detail,it's lovingly brought to life, visually.Though if you haven't read the book,it risks leaving you scratching your head a bit. Do yourself a favour & read the book first! Expand
MarilynZ.Mar 2, 2006
Highly entertaining and that's why I go to the movies.
KyleL.Feb 10, 2006
Was too childish for me, but hey, wasnt it targeted for children? It entertained me and that is waht a movie is for. I wasnt a fan of the actors or characters though.
ChanceL.Feb 4, 2006
Great movie! The actors did a great job, and the special effcts were amazing. The only disappointment really was that they changed the older children into jerks, so they too could learn a valuable lesson about "family." Curse Disney!
FrankO.Feb 4, 2006
An excellent flim about CS Lewis' classic tale of the battle between good and evil. Really enjoyed this movie, good young cast who played good but flawed characters. Highly recommended.
ErikS.Feb 1, 2006
Great! Very close to the book! I love the movie!
CaptainSpauldingJan 30, 2006
Excellent movie. Enjoyable by both children and adults. This movie had action, suspense, beautiful cinematography and great special effects (congrats WETA). It was a little on the violent side for very small kids, but the rest should love Excellent movie. Enjoyable by both children and adults. This movie had action, suspense, beautiful cinematography and great special effects (congrats WETA). It was a little on the violent side for very small kids, but the rest should love it! It was what I expected and more. My wife was very pleased as well, and she's a big Narnia fan! Great flick and we can't wait to see the next one! Rated highly. Expand
DavidS.Jan 28, 2006
dull and lifeless. the books were not particularly for mature audiences... the movie is the same
TimD.Jan 28, 2006
Though it has aspects I appreciated (Liam Neeson, Tilda Swinton in the battle sequences, the youngest of the children) and moments I enjoyed very much (the use of silence and the heartbeat at the beginning of the battle sequence), overall I Though it has aspects I appreciated (Liam Neeson, Tilda Swinton in the battle sequences, the youngest of the children) and moments I enjoyed very much (the use of silence and the heartbeat at the beginning of the battle sequence), overall I found it thin, lacking weight and power -- a genuine disappointment. This film doesn't even begin to compare with any one of Peter Jackson's Ring trilogy. Expand
GandaS.Jan 25, 2006
Very good! The Film was so great and really inspiring. It has lots of moral lessons..... I loved it especially Peter who looked good and handsome... That was one of the greatest film I've ever had.
ChristineW.Jan 24, 2006
I expected it to be better, especially in the effects and CGI department. There were way too many scenes that looked so fake.
GrantN.Jan 16, 2006
An interesting movie that was fairly well-made would have been better with more intense battle sequences and a PG-13 rating.
ChuckM.Jan 14, 2006
This was a perfectly fine movie. It was an entertaining way to spent a couple of hours.
GonzoJan 14, 2006
Not bad .Not bad. The film doesnt carry much adrenaline as "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" does,but you have to accept the gorgeus scenery and plot to fully enjoy the film.I liked how it used symbols for biblical characters.Lucy Not bad .Not bad. The film doesnt carry much adrenaline as "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" does,but you have to accept the gorgeus scenery and plot to fully enjoy the film.I liked how it used symbols for biblical characters.Lucy Pevensie's role was the best one;I mean,all of them were great its really hard to narrow down one of them!But I just couldnt help something about the gilr who plays Lucy.You cant actually notice her facial expression.There were times I couldnt difference If she was crying,or smiling.But oh well.The action was great and my favorite character must be Peter.In overall,a good film. Expand
StephRJan 14, 2006
Best Movie Ever!
AzaanV.Jan 14, 2006
LOTR but it was changed so kids could understand. not good for anyone that questions stuff. you just have to believe everything fully to enjoy the movie. many anomolies.
RebeccaS.S.Jan 14, 2006
Actually to be honest this movie is a 12. Wonderful all around, smart, frightening and Joyous.
ChristineP.Jan 14, 2006
An incredible adventure that pulls you right in! A future classic, for sure.
JaredO.Jan 13, 2006
This is a great movie, however, the reason this doesnt get a 10 is because it does lag in some parts. The special effects are Breathtakingly amazing, i mean, WOW. The movie is Very true to the book, with a little pdding added in. This movie This is a great movie, however, the reason this doesnt get a 10 is because it does lag in some parts. The special effects are Breathtakingly amazing, i mean, WOW. The movie is Very true to the book, with a little pdding added in. This movie is Definetly worth seeing. Expand
ErinH.Jan 13, 2006
The movie was quite welldone and I loved it! The best part about it was that it really portayed how the Witch represented Satan and how Aslan represented Jesus Christ who died on the cross for our sins just like Aslan gave hislife and died The movie was quite welldone and I loved it! The best part about it was that it really portayed how the Witch represented Satan and how Aslan represented Jesus Christ who died on the cross for our sins just like Aslan gave hislife and died freely for Edmunds sin. Expand
MarkB.Jan 12, 2006
Although the Christian overtones and symbolism of C. S. Lewis's beloved children's fantasy series are unmistakable, it's a tribute to his remarkable skills as an author that my fourth grade teacher read us the entire book in Although the Christian overtones and symbolism of C. S. Lewis's beloved children's fantasy series are unmistakable, it's a tribute to his remarkable skills as an author that my fourth grade teacher read us the entire book in class--and only later on did I learn that she was an agnostic. For that matter, Flick Filosopher MaryAnn Johansen, who frequently declares herself an atheist (and ranked The Passion of the Christ the worst film of 2004!) loved this movie version anyway. As well she should--it's both epic and intimate in scope, terrifically moving, funny and exciting...and in the year of Harry Potter 4 and Star Wars 6, or 3, or whatever, I thought this was second only to King Kong as the best fantasy film of the year. My worries about Shrek and Shrek 2 director Andrew Adamson taking the helm proved to be unfounded; I was afraid he'd muck the source material up with cheap pop-culture and in-joke references, but he's stayed remarkably faithful to the time, place and tone of Lewis's material...not even yielding to the temptation to modify some of the more obscure Britishisms. (When's the last time YOU picked up some 'Turkish delight' at your local See's candy store?) Children Peter, Edmund, Susan and Lucy (the latter played by Georgie Henley, who possesses both the requisite acting chops AND adorableness in equal and abundant quantities), sent to the country by their mother during the worst of World War II, discover a magical wardrobe that transports them to the Land of Narnia, a kingdom of talking animals led by the heroic, Christ-like lion Aslan, who's doing battle against the White Witch (Tilda Swinton, one of the rare actors who has played both an angelic figure--in Constantine--and a demonic one in the same calendar year). The Crucifixion, the Resurrection and the Book of Revelation are all represented throughout the battle, and so is Judas' betrayal, which intriguingly plays out with somewhat different results here than in the Gospels. Liam Neeson voices Aslan with great authority and warmth (and I'm grateful that his recent portrayal of the controversial Dr. Alfred Kinsey didn't automatically remove him from the short list for this role), while Swinton is remarkably sly, subtle and perhaps in keeping with her role as a master temptress, sexier than I've ever seen her onscreen. And I loved what has to be the strongest portrayal of a loving, affectionate married couple onscreen in years--even if they DO happen to be a pair of beavers! Faithful churchgoers and nonbelievers alike will be thrilled at the elaborate, intense (but not at all gory) action sequences, but I especially warmed up to The Chronicles of Narnia's superbly confident, deliberate pacing: without ever, ever dragging, it moves along at its own speed, constantly sparking viewers of all ages to ask, "And then what? And then what? What happens next?" So many recent fantasy, science fiction, action or adventure films have bludgeoned us with Michael Bay-style cacaphonies of noisome CGI images that it's a real pleasure--no, a JOY--to watch a film like The Chronicles of Narnia as it restores a seemingly lost art: that of simply telling us a terrific story. Expand
TomM.Jan 12, 2006
Very good movie.
RodrigoB.Jan 11, 2006
Good movie. Since I read all Narnia books, I was quite excited when I saw the movie. Unfortunately, I can´t give it a 10. I felt everything happened too fast, as if the director was forced to put every character and each one of their Good movie. Since I read all Narnia books, I was quite excited when I saw the movie. Unfortunately, I can´t give it a 10. I felt everything happened too fast, as if the director was forced to put every character and each one of their actions into 2 hours of film. The book has another taste... much better taste. Expand
FDLHJan 11, 2006
I can't believe this film got such a high mark. It's extremely mawkish, simplistic, full of cinematographic commonplaces, clichés, and is sexist in many ways (queen =evil, king=young boy (although the sister discovered I can't believe this film got such a high mark. It's extremely mawkish, simplistic, full of cinematographic commonplaces, clichés, and is sexist in many ways (queen =evil, king=young boy (although the sister discovered everything in the first place)=good). In the end, it comes out as very common and trite. Mind you, the book is too, so why should the film be any better? Expand
fionad.Jan 9, 2006
It was good but when they had the battle and Edmund gets stabbed by the white witch he doesn't even bleed.
DavidJan 9, 2006
I was captivated by the magic, the wonder, AND the lessons about honor, courage, and defending these principles. And I'm 44 years old. Excellent movie, for adults AND children (over age 6 or 7).