The Circle

7.7

1. KarenH.
    Nov 20, 2003
    This movie was sit on the edge of your seat, squirm with discomfort, from beginning to end. The full horror of being a female in the society is forshadowed in the mother's (Fatemeh Naghavi) refusal to acknowledge her daughter had a girl baby.
  2. ChadS.
    Feb 27, 2003
    Your moral outrage grows stronger and stronger as these Iranian women bypass all the menfolk who don't need any adornment atop their heads. No pontification is needed, which director Jafar Panahi mostly avoids. Every second of this film is charged with politics but it never gets polemic. We want so badly for these women to get a taste of America, and conversely, we would like to see Your moral outrage grows stronger and stronger as these Iranian women bypass all the menfolk who don't need any adornment atop their heads. No pontification is needed, which director Jafar Panahi mostly avoids. Every second of this film is charged with politics but it never gets polemic. We want so badly for these women to get a taste of America, and conversely, we would like to see a reality program where Christina Aguilera has to spend one week in Iran. "The Circle", like "Kandahar", needs to be seen by both men and women who think America sucks. It doesn't. Expand
  3. ManiF.
    Aug 14, 2001
    This movie is a real picture of people's lives wasted under the islamic repubilc's rule. However, this is not a propaganda film like "not without my daughter" this is the real thing!

Naturalistic, gritty, and unrelenting.
  2. Quiet, rageful indictment of a two-tiered Islamic society.
  3. How dangerous it is to be a woman in Iran, especially one going against the wishes of her menfolk, is brought home time after time in these related vignettes.