The City of Lost Children

8.2

1. ThomasS.
    Feb 28, 2009
    My favorite movie of them all!
  2. GregR.
    Oct 14, 2008
    Excellent, surreal film set in a dream world of bizarre characters and inventions. Definitely not a movie for everyone, but if you loved Brazil you may love this. The two aren't related, I just think the same sensibility that appreciates Brazil will probably appreciate this. The filming itself is beautiful, with rich colors and camera work. THe sets are great. The actors are all well Excellent, surreal film set in a dream world of bizarre characters and inventions. Definitely not a movie for everyone, but if you loved Brazil you may love this. The two aren't related, I just think the same sensibility that appreciates Brazil will probably appreciate this. The filming itself is beautiful, with rich colors and camera work. THe sets are great. The actors are all well cast for their characters. Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2010
    It's a dense, over-bloated film with more twisted ideas than it can possibly dish out gracefully, but it's so visually enticing and filled with enough intrigue that it is definitely worth the two hours of confusion. If a comparison is needed, think of it as the French version of "Brazil," without the political overtones.
  4. Aug 23, 2011
    This movie, wow, just wow. I absolutely love this movie. My favorite movie of all time. No kidding. The atmosphere, the actors, the story, just wow. I love movies set in different worlds that don't really classify as sci-fi or fantasy. This is one such treat. Directed and written by the same director/writer of Delicatessen and it definitely shows. If you enjoy this I'd also recommend BigThis movie, wow, just wow. I absolutely love this movie. My favorite movie of all time. No kidding. The atmosphere, the actors, the story, just wow. I love movies set in different worlds that don't really classify as sci-fi or fantasy. This is one such treat. Directed and written by the same director/writer of Delicatessen and it definitely shows. If you enjoy this I'd also recommend Big Fish, Mirrormask, and Dark City. Actually scratch that, even if you don't like City of Lost Children you should watch those movies. The only drawback I could see to this movie for audiences is that it is subtitled. However that should most certainly not deter anyone from seeing it. Read a little and get enveloped in this fantastic world. Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2014
    *The City of Lost Children will have you gripped throughout the entire film. *

The amazing futurist (Steampunk?) world the story is set in is a delight to behold, if not weird and dark all at the same time and demands your full attention fear you loose your way with the plot! I love the characters in this film, they are almost straight out of Wonderland, a dark and twisted Wonderland
    *The City of Lost Children will have you gripped throughout the entire film. *

I love the characters in this film, they are almost straight out of Wonderland, a dark and twisted Wonderland at that. The story is a little odd, but compelling due to the strong acting and locations. Sometimes you do feel like you in some sort of twisted computer game rather than watching a film though!

Without doubt this is a fantastic film, set in a dark wonderland of oddball characters and story lines that will keep your eyes glued from start to finish.

1. Reviewed by: Joey O'Bryan
    With its fine performances, gorgeous sets, incredible special effects, imaginative story line, beautiful score (by frequent David Lynch collaborator Angelo Badalamenti), and knockout cinematography, The City of Lost Children is very much worth seeing.
  2. Sadly, the technical logistics seem to have impeded the dreamlike flow a movie like this requires.
    I am not one of you. But I have enough of you in me to pass along the word. Far out.