7.9

1. Mar 26, 2015
    Is this a propaganda film for the catholic church or something? The plot basically consists of a collage of scenes from other (better) movies. It is like Carrie, The Exorcist and Poltergeist mixed together.

It is certainly not based on any true story whatsoever. Or at least not more true than Fargo. When that exorcist guy said it is bad that the children are not baptised I had to

When that exorcist guy said it is bad that the children are not baptised I had to laugh. I am sure the church paid some money for that film.
  2. Jan 4, 2015
    Well, I love Insidious 1 and 2, but The Conjuring was just as disappointing as I expected it to be. The father of the family being assailed by evil spirits is the guy from "office space," so that gave me a bad feeling, and his wife was the annoying and lackluster woman from "The Haunting," which flopped beautifully. Perhaps movies like this one are possessed by demonic spirits becauseWell, I love Insidious 1 and 2, but The Conjuring was just as disappointing as I expected it to be. The father of the family being assailed by evil spirits is the guy from "office space," so that gave me a bad feeling, and his wife was the annoying and lackluster woman from "The Haunting," which flopped beautifully. Perhaps movies like this one are possessed by demonic spirits because somehow they manage to get tons of positive reviews while being absolutely, mind blowingly lame... I mean LAME... I tried being scared by this movie but it never got me, not even once. *spoilers ahead* So the basic premise of the story is this... If you sacrifice a baby to satan and hang yourself you get to haunt a piece of real estate forever. The antagonist here is just a dead satan worshipper... Which is incredibly boring. I expected something creative after watching "Insidious." It was extremely long and there was never any payoff. There's an exorcism that's, well, super lame, and there's not much more to be said about this thing. It was just SO BORING and utterly predictable... I know everyone has a different experience with horror movies, but like I said, spirits must be possessing this terrible movie. It's like they want you to waste your time. They're trolling from another dimension XD ...That would have been more interesting than the plot and ending of this flick. Expand
  3. Oct 11, 2014
    Stupid ass movie title! NOTHING is CONJURED in this movie!! Stupid writers and the director should go read a dictionary before slapping the title onto this movie! They also recycle the frickin UV-light **** again.
  4. May 26, 2014
    Why did people like this, how? This movie was cliche after cliche, everything in this movie was ripped from other (better) movies, and everything major that happened was so easy to see coming that it was PAINFUL.
  5. Apr 4, 2014
    Many will try and have you believe that the atomosphere around the movie was terrifying, but I will tell you unless this is the first horror movie you've seen, nothing will scare you or creep you out.

The movie is so unoriginal. There is nothing creative, nor original, and especially not clever in this film. Not the first evil doll, paranormal activity, haunted house, nothing in this movie is good nor interesting. I literally fell asleep, right after my girlfriend. It took me about 5 times to watch the movie entirely. That's 1 more then Avatar.

The films only good aspects are the acting and maybe the directing.
  6. Nov 24, 2013
    Haunted dolls, levitating, Attack of Blind Pigeons, cheesy "dialogue", slamming doors, crucifixes, basement-as-center of activity...zzzzzz.....But, don't worry, in the end we're all brought back to flowers and unicorns and bubble-teas by a mother's love and god. Awwww.

This is galactically lame, desperate, and overdone with cheap jump-thrills. Just another horror movie that reminds us that The Exorcist is the gold standard which has yet to be beat.
  7. Sep 19, 2013
    Honestly do not see how it's so critically acclaimed nor why users seem to like it so much. It was a very generic paranormal film that was not scary at all. Sort of disappointing considering it's directed by James Wan and starring Patrick Wilson, who were great together in Insidious.
  8. Sep 12, 2013
    same warmed warmed and warmed and re warmed soup made in hollywood. absolutely boring and predictable. I appreciated wilson's performance but nothing else. entire movie is a shameless cliche, redundant till the bother. without any trace of soul. yes, definitely I can say its a ghosts movie. where the ghost is the movie.
  9. Sep 10, 2013
    From the mind of the director of Saw, The Conjuring is a film that finds itself in two minds about whether it should be a strict horror film or a family themed one. Eventually the film stops trying to differentiate and just gives up making for an ending so flat its almost as if it doesn't end. The film follows Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga), a married couple whoFrom the mind of the director of Saw, The Conjuring is a film that finds itself in two minds about whether it should be a strict horror film or a family themed one. Eventually the film stops trying to differentiate and just gives up making for an ending so flat its almost as if it doesn't end. The film follows Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga), a married couple who work as ghost hunters and are sent to the Perron household where Carolyn (Lili Taylor) and Roger Perron (Ron Livingston) are experiencing odd occurrences that are scaring not only them but their five girls. Filled with some great tension, the opening act of the film is almost like it is from another film as it slowly but surely puts you in a state of unease, one that feels like it isn't going to end leading to a moment so terrifying it will affect some of the most seasoned horror watchers. However after that the scares become more predictable and the timing becomes a lot more conventional as the film transitions into a picture about family where there is no real sense of jeopardy, just two families bonding together which could be interesting if The Conjuring wasn't a horror film. The picture decides to avoid a chilling finale in favour of an action one where everything collectively hits the fan but by doing so have rid the the film of any redemptive features as director James Wan's signature style of raising tension to a boiling point is thrown out of the window in favour of a whole lot of confusion. This balls to the wall conclusion lacks the gravitas of his previous works which is a crying shame indeed. Expand
  10. Sep 1, 2013
    I watched this movie with good expectations. I watched the trailer, thought it would be good. It looked creepy, scary and worth my money and time. It was the same person who did Insidious and I know how much those scares packed-a-punch on me. But unfortunately, the only thing I can give this film were the two leading roles of the two paranormal investigators and props. Their acting wasI watched this movie with good expectations. I watched the trailer, thought it would be good. It looked creepy, scary and worth my money and time. It was the same person who did Insidious and I know how much those scares packed-a-punch on me. But unfortunately, the only thing I can give this film were the two leading roles of the two paranormal investigators and props. Their acting was good and very believable. The props were quite well done, but it felt as though the directors was like, let's make them look really creepy and ugly, that will scare people. No. I was expecting a good scare and hoping to be genuinely frightened, but no. And I was extremely disappointed. Every "scare" was far too predictable. Like the face would disappear and the character is wondering where the unknown entity has gone and then...oh here I am, right next to you...did you see me coming? Of course we did, who in the world couldn't see it coming. This effect has been used time and time again and yet still we get horror movies that continue to use them as if this gets its audience every time. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion but for big horror fans, this simply is a miss. Sure if it's your first horror movie or one of your first maybe you might feel a little bit of tension and creepiness. I am a big horror fan and I'm sure a lot of the other fans like me will come to the conclusion that The Conjuring brought nothing new to the horror genre.

+Good acting
    +Good effects on props

-Far too predictable
    -Cliché
    -Typical story
    -Slow Pace
    -Scares are very ineffective
    -Brought nothing new to the horror genre

11. Aug 30, 2013
    Combining every memorable element of Horror from a previous film before it, The Conjuring masters at scaring by not allowing you to realize you've been conned into 100 minutes of cheap tricks and bumps in the night. Forcing the religious angle for relative ease in accepting that possession exists, and then use the "Salem witch" as a scapegoat of Baphomet to ride through the black holeCombining every memorable element of Horror from a previous film before it, The Conjuring masters at scaring by not allowing you to realize you've been conned into 100 minutes of cheap tricks and bumps in the night. Forcing the religious angle for relative ease in accepting that possession exists, and then use the "Salem witch" as a scapegoat of Baphomet to ride through the black hole plot. Perhaps they should sacrifice this witch to let the film end? Of course, after thuds, shadows, and CGI low budget snores that don't do as much as even muster a chuckle out you for their pathetic sideshow buffoonery. Expand
  12. Aug 23, 2013
    I don't understand why people liked this movie. It did not have a single scary moment. The acting was bland and generic, to say the least. The Conjuring is an example of the horror genre is on 21st century life support. What a waste of money!
  13. Aug 15, 2013
    simon abrams and i rarely agree on films, but hes 100 percent correct this time. The movie was long drawn out and boring on two levels. Drugs and or alcohol will not help because through out the movie is a constant irritating noise that will give you a headache. predictable, long, boring, headache...
  14. Aug 11, 2013
    Trust me you've seen it before booming sound effects, loud screams and cheap attempted jump scares does not cut it. It's using a supposed true story and attempting a cheap cash grab for those expecting to walk out pleased.
  15. Aug 4, 2013
    No great shakes....a big disappointment as far as I am concerned. Nothing that we haven't already seen in films like Paranormal Activity and Exorcist. Infact those films were more chilling and impactful compared to this which felt like 'recycled stuff'. The screenplay is a major culprit because its so damn predictable...you know how it begins and how it will end...
  16. Aug 3, 2013
    The fact that this piece of crap, generic, been done before film with glaring mistakes is getting fantastical reviews truly leaves me scared for my fellow human beings on metacritic.
  17. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So after hearing the reviews and what others had said after they had seen the movie, I was very excited; but after the credits rolled, I was appalled. This movie is a comedy. Why does Hollywood have to take 'based on actual events' and hear poetic license, gimmicks and over glamorize to sell tickets? Was the horrific ordeal the Perron family went through not enough that we had to throw in possession,demonology,paranormal investigations, exorcism AND The Salem Witch Trials? I am a descendent of someone that was killed in the trials and they Do Not need to be glamorized! The only good part of this movie is the portrayal of Ed and Lorraine Warren by Vera Framiga and Patrick Wilson-they showed beautifully the undying love and partnership the two had. That where Lorraine went Ed went. So I ask, why can't Hollywood show a good story anymore with out over CGI'd and gimmicks? Expand
  18. Jul 25, 2013
    Overall going to have to agree with Ebert on this one, I may be a bit biased in that I don't typically enjoy horror movies to begin with, but our group found this particular outing to be nothing more than a bust. I think our entire audience got more kicks out of my friend trying to wake up our colleague by clapping next to his head than the entirety of what we saw throughout the 2 hourOverall going to have to agree with Ebert on this one, I may be a bit biased in that I don't typically enjoy horror movies to begin with, but our group found this particular outing to be nothing more than a bust. I think our entire audience got more kicks out of my friend trying to wake up our colleague by clapping next to his head than the entirety of what we saw throughout the 2 hour (far too long for so little to be told).

Ebert's description of them cramming story slowly down your throat during every dull moment (70% of the movie is this) is spot on and it never really amounts to much. There's a few things left in the plot to allow for potential sequels, but I don't see the point in making one unless it is livened up quite a bit.

All that being said, the performances by Patrick Wilson and especially Vera Farmiga were good and Lili Taylor was close behind. Ron Livingston's character felt out of place and relatively useless, he just seemed oblivious most of the movie, but I am not entirely sure that is the fault of the actor vs the script in this case as most horror movies tend to remove the focus from the male characters as soon as possible to increase suspense.

TL;DR Save your money, watch it at home.
  19. Jul 22, 2013
    Take a bunch of horror cliches, throw in unnecessary side stories, remove what suspense there is by bringing in "ghost hunters," stir and fall asleep.
  20. Jul 20, 2013
    Why is this movie getting awesome scores? What happened in this movie that hasn't happened in every other horror movie? Random substories that popped up are never resolved, and the main plot never really goes anywhere outside the obvious foreshadowing it sets up. Most scenes involve a lot of characters staring at something that barely moved, followed by a jump scare that quickly cuts to aWhy is this movie getting awesome scores? What happened in this movie that hasn't happened in every other horror movie? Random substories that popped up are never resolved, and the main plot never really goes anywhere outside the obvious foreshadowing it sets up. Most scenes involve a lot of characters staring at something that barely moved, followed by a jump scare that quickly cuts to a "safe" scene. Boring horror movie that'll eventually play every weekend on tv. Expand
  21. Jul 20, 2013
    Why was this movie rated R? There was nothing scary or creepy about this movie and the jump scares were completely ineffective. I'm glad I only paid the matinée price. So disappointing.

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 3, 2013
    Wan’s film is a sturdily built supernatural chiller, with next-to-no digital effects or gore, and it delivers its scares with a breezy lack of urgency.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Jul 25, 2013
    I'd be shocked if we see a better horror film in 2013.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Jul 19, 2013
    The Conjuring is as toothless as it is because it's two different kinds of boring. The film's plot is explained exhaustively whenever loud noises aren't blaring, and random objects aren't teasingly leaping out at you from the corner of your eye.