7.8

1. Dec 17, 2014
    Summary: The Conjuring is a memorable, well acted and genuinely frightening horror film. 90/100 [A-]

The Conjuring is a horror film directed by James Wan and it was my most anticipated horror movie of 2013. Moving on, the opening scene is spooky, since here you can behold the stunning camera work; this little scene is about a possessed doll called Annabelle. This scene keeps the suspense and the scariness. There are two stories in the movie; the first one is about Lorraine and Ed Warren, they are two paranormal investigators, both have a little daughter and they live in a nice house. Then, there's the other story about a likable family who has experienced some paranormal events in their new home. It doesn't matter how cliche it sounds, this is a terrific horror film

After the first 30 minutes or so, there are the first scares, all of them are very effective, unexpected and well executed. Even though I didn't jump out of my seat (maybe because jump-scares are not effective in me and some of the scares were in the trailer) I have to admit that the film freaked me out so much, it boasts some extremely violent sequences and it was so damn thrilling at several moments. A few scares were pretty familiar and it's true that it doesn't offer something new to the horror genre, but it has enough creativity and originality to succeed. In addition, it is very similar in tone to 'The Woman in Black', both have a well handled suspense and an atmospheric setting.

The performances were great, even the young cast was awesome. The most believable character in the film was Christine (performed by Joey King), this girl was excellent. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga were good as always, Vera's character "Lorraine" was a bit surreal but her stunning performance made me believe in all of what she said. Also, Lili Taylor did an excellent job with her role throughout the film, she was amazing, especially in the chilling final act. Moving on, the special effects were quite realistic and so well done. In spite of being a low budget film, it didn't use too much CGI, maybe just in a couple scenes, but everything looks great anyway.

Its final act has some flaws, the exorcism scene has its ups and downs. However, I still liked it, this whole sequence is truly violent, a bit bloody and creepy. The acting was awesome here, Lili Taylor is such a great actress and she really looked like a possessed woman. I just can't believe that Wan directed this flick, most of his previous movies are quite average; but this one, it's a total blast. The Conjuring is an extremely well done horror film that has an impressive camera work, a great cast and lots of memorable scares. It definitely earns its R rating because it's very gruesome and evil at times. It's my favorite horror film of 2013. Oh, and please don't watch the trailer, it's a huge spoiler. [A-]
  2. Nov 23, 2014
    The Conjuring es una película del género terror que logra cumplir con las expectativas del género, sin duda alguna va a ser considerada una de las mejores películas de terror del 2013.
  3. Nov 13, 2014
    My first REAL Horror movie I have ever watched .....Final Destination 5, The Purge, The Bay. and the Resident Evil movies are horror movies I have watched but THIS is my first demon-posssession/exorcism type of horror I have ever watched. And guess what? I watched it late at night, on my Ipod Touch with earbuds on pretty loud. And guess what? Its one of my favorites of all time! ReallyMy first REAL Horror movie I have ever watched .....Final Destination 5, The Purge, The Bay. and the Resident Evil movies are horror movies I have watched but THIS is my first demon-posssession/exorcism type of horror I have ever watched. And guess what? I watched it late at night, on my Ipod Touch with earbuds on pretty loud. And guess what? Its one of my favorites of all time! Really really loved it! My favorite horror flick so far....definitely will look more into James Wans movies. Already checked him out on the IMDB!!.

And this is what has got me into horror movies and now I freaking love horror flicks. Hollywood sure is awesome guys, don't you think? Go see the Conjuring! Oh, and Resident evil are zombie movies.
  4. Nov 9, 2014
    The Conjuring thrills with its countless scares and tense atmosphere. Solid acting and great cinematography only excels this as a thoroughly enjoyable (and old-school) horror flick.
  5. Oct 8, 2014
    Pass on Annabelle and watch this movie again. This was the first horror movie I've seen with such amazing production values, but it was kept at an affordable price for a film that had as much talent as this one did; and it made millions because it was actually scary, and actually well written. The Conjuring is full of scary moments that show how scary demon possession is, there is noPass on Annabelle and watch this movie again. This was the first horror movie I've seen with such amazing production values, but it was kept at an affordable price for a film that had as much talent as this one did; and it made millions because it was actually scary, and actually well written. The Conjuring is full of scary moments that show how scary demon possession is, there is no hidden agenda and the demons don't come off as pompous idiots who just mess with you. These demons mentally destroyed these people beyond repair. Expand
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    "The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet it flows very well. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are great together as the Warrens. Really, the entire cast was great. This is a great movie to"The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet it flows very well. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are great together as the Warrens. Really, the entire cast was great. This is a great movie to watch and get scared with your friends. I highly recommend it. Expand
  7. Aug 31, 2014
    "When the music stops, you'll see him in the mirror standing behind you." - April

This is why i love horror movies.One of the best horror movies i ever seen.
  8. Aug 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies I've ever watched. The story is fantastic [and real], I guess I am more afraid of ghosts than I was before seeing this film, it's very good indeed.
  9. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Conjuring was the best horror movie I've watched! It actually happened and there's a reasonable story behind the true events, as well as the movie!
  10. Jun 12, 2014
    Again, I DARE YOU TO WATCH THIS FILM BY YOURSELF IN THE DARK!!! It's so scary, the government are thinking of adding this film as part of training in the military, in helping soldiers face their fears. lol
  11. Mar 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies of all time!
    Positives:
    - Excellent Actors
    - Excellent Story
    - Great Atmosphere
    Negatives:
    - Abrupt Ending
    - Based on a true story, even though the story was amazing I'd rather not hear it being based on actual events.
  12. Mar 17, 2014
    from the guy who brought you saw and insidious james wan brought us the conjuring which is scary and freaky . i never saw a horror film that was based on a true story . this is sort of like amityville horror but hey it was a good film . i can not wait for the sequel
  13. Mar 16, 2014
    First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery,First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery, characters, especially Lorraine, who had a great role in the story; of course everyone had it own role, and the way they have solved the problem. The thing I didn't like so much was that the exorcism was a quick ritual in the film, about several minutes, where I wanted to see something more. Nevertheless, now, after I watched it it's on my favourite list, so I give it a 9, recommending it for the people who wants mistery. Expand
  14. Feb 19, 2014
    "Why is this movie getting awesome scores? What happened in this movie that hasn't happened in every other horror movie?"

It is an art to make good pictures. It is an art to make feel the viewer emotionally involved. It is an art to place, choose and time sound effects so that they are just "in time". Often in life it is not the story which is told. It is the WAY the story is told!!!! The conjuring - for shure - is a composition of already known story fragments, but the way the fragments have been arranged to a dense thrilling story are absolutely f***ng genious. There is barely nothing which I had to criticize respectively that can be criticized. And this is - by all respect to other filmmakers - a seldom situation. double thumps up into my bluray-collection!
  15. Feb 17, 2014
    I've always been a fan of good horror movies. Sadly, nowadays, there is somewhat of a deficit amongst the genre, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a generic plot + dark premise + a few jumpscares = a good movie. Luckily, this movie isn't like that.
    I love this movie. And even as I nitpick my way through it, I manage to find just one thing I don't like about it. But let me get there first.
    This movie is really beautifuly shot. The whole direction it is going for has a very retro-horror vibe that I just can't help but enjoy. There are almost no effects, which I think is a huge plus, and those that are included are very effective. This movie doesn't rely simply on jumpscares, but on pure, well-built atmosphere, the overall look and feel of it brings a lot to this.
    It also sounds great, all the sound effects used are creepy, there are almost no random sharp sounds, like the ones used in Insidious (whichi I personally hated about it), there is also almost no awkward silence - it's a perfect mix.
    The acting in the movie is great. The people behind the movie knew exactly what kinds of people they need, so they just got those people, and they are perfect for their roles. Even the little kids are great at acting it out! It's simply a joy to watch all of these people interract with eachother on such a great level, at times it feels like real-life footidge of a family reunion and that's brilliant.
    The overall story is nothing we haven't seen before, but it's very well paced, which is key to a good horror movie. I really love what they did with the pacing here, though I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I give the movie credit for having scenes that most movies of the genre forget - those that expand on the characters and their bonds. However, here is also the one thing I don't like about this movie, and it's the paranormal apparition - it's not badly done, it's just not my thing and I didn't find it scary or creepy, I was intrigued and when I found out what it was, it all sort of went down hill from there for me, but this is just for me, so instead of my personal rating of a 8/10, I give it a almost perfect 9/10 - I recommend this movie to all horror fans, especially those who are nostalgic for retro horror. This movie is awesome!
  16. Feb 14, 2014
    To be honest, this has to be one of the better horrors I have seen in a while. Granted allot in this movie has been done before and the premise is nothing original, the movie as a whole feels fresh and genuinely scary at points. Rich atmosphere and all round decent acting give this movie the creepy vibe that many other horrors are lacking.

While they could have been a bit more daring

While they could have been a bit more daring and gone deeper with the narrative, I really have no gripes with this movie.

Overall:
    An enjoyable, creepy and highly atmospheric movie and probably the best horror movie of 2013. I loved it.
  17. Feb 14, 2014
    This movie is my best horror movie. The story is based on true events wich makes the movie even more scary especially if it's well played. It has a lot of moments where you think there will be jump scare but in the end it's nothing and thats what makes it so scary, there are a few jump scares yes but not always. Just in the right moments.
  18. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those horror movies where everyday stuff turn into nightmares. If you have ever lived in an old house you have experienced strange sounds that can't be explained by normal occurrences. In my opinion this fact is what makes this movie so scary and spooky. Expand
  19. Dec 24, 2013
    The Conjuring is easily the most scariest movie to date. Take what you think is scary and times it by 10, and your left with The Conjuring. This movie is a MUST for all horror fans. To the acting, dialogue and creepy sound effect this movie will leave you exhausted by the end wishing you never watched because I can tell you now you won't be getting a goods night sleep.
  20. Dec 21, 2013
    James Wan brings us the classic horror film that does scare anyone who is in the room from the first minute (literally), bringing a conbinacion Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Shining reverse. The 2013 was good horror movies generally had good reviews as Mama and The Cottage of Terror (although in the latter my criticism was not positive). Vera Farmiga splendid as ever. The girls (JoeyJames Wan brings us the classic horror film that does scare anyone who is in the room from the first minute (literally), bringing a conbinacion Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Shining reverse. The 2013 was good horror movies generally had good reviews as Mama and The Cottage of Terror (although in the latter my criticism was not positive). Vera Farmiga splendid as ever. The girls (Joey King Batman the Dark Knight rises, Mackenzie Foy Breaking Dawn Part 2 and others) keeps his performance very well. The best thing about the movie is the diabolical doll Anabelle since its first appearance in the movie scares, the plot and outcome. The only thing bad about 20 minutes without something interesting happens. Expand
  21. Dec 13, 2013
  22. Dec 9, 2013
    For a genre that almost always gets it wrong, The Conjuring finally gets it right. Not only is it actually scary, but the film also manages to tie in good acting, score, production, and a perfect pace. Something that cannot be said of any other horror movie that comes to mind.
  23. Nov 7, 2013
    This movie is definitely one of the best horror movies I have seen so far. I was a bit skeptical at first of this movie, but once it started, I could not keep my eyes off the screen. It was definitely a better movie to see than "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls". I can't wait for James Wan's next installment in the Warren paranormal investigators saga.
  24. Nov 5, 2013
    I'm an avid horror fan. Lately I've been thinking there isn't much that can scare me (though Sinister got under my skin). I appreciate James Wan's films, I love the first Saw, Insidious was a damn good modern ghost story, but like all reviews have stated for it, the movie kinda loses it's momentum in the final act.

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's one of the best horror movies of the last 5 or 10 years. It goes back to the classic rule of horror film making, never show the bad guy fully to your audience. Plus this movie knows suspense, I tell you, I almost threw a water bottle at the screen from sheer terror once the scare finally happened. There are no fake jump scares, the movie earned an R rating without any blood, sex, or profanity, it's all from the terror that this movie builds upon.

Not only is the movie scary, but as a film itself, it's almost a masterpiece. The script, acting, direction, style, tone, etc were all simply top notch. Wan's camera-work here is by far his best out of any of his movies. The choice to set the movie in the 70s was a stroke of genius as it feels so authentic and all the more real. If this story were set in the present, it simply wouldn't be as a effective or scary. The 70s style film making, costuming, and hair styling are a great throwback to likes of The Exorcist & The Amityville Horror.

Though there are a few (extremely minor) flaws, such are length, repetitiveness, and a resolution that happens way too fast. I don't care, every horror movie (or movie in general) has it's flaws. There will never be a perfect horror movie, if there is one, I haven't seen it yet. But all I know is James Wan's The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time, and it's been a really long time that a movie has scared me this badly.

10/10 Don't miss this one, it's an amazing theater viewing experience.
  25. Nov 2, 2013
    One of the rare films I found truly scary and truly captivating. Well worth the watch for horror lovers. Not sure why reviews have to be fifty characters long...
  26. Oct 27, 2013
    We actually really enjoyed this movie. It made us a jump a bunch of times and was a great halloween movie. Sure there were some already used plot devices in this horror movie, but overall it was great.
  27. Oct 9, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie...if your a fan of horror movies you will love this movie!!!

Overall a great movie and acting...not to mention lovely spooky atmospheres & sounds...
  28. Oct 5, 2013
    I don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and the characters are well done, and I actually liked the plot of this one, particularly because it was paced very well. Plenty enough scares for the horror filmI don't watch horror movies too often, though the few I've seen have been either fairly good or absolutely garbage. This is neither and rises to the top of my list as one of the best horror movies I've watched. Excellent acting and the characters are well done, and I actually liked the plot of this one, particularly because it was paced very well. Plenty enough scares for the horror film lover, much of which is achieved by slow moments of rising tension, tense anticipation and plain creepy moments. Recommended. Expand
  29. Sep 28, 2013
    James Wan is a master. I haven't watched many films that he has made but the conjuring is just epic. The first hour it just builds the whole thing and in the second hour true horror comes in the screen. From the first scene, I knew that this movie is going to make me bricks. And of course I was correct. Something really impressive was the actors and the cinematography of the film. LiliJames Wan is a master. I haven't watched many films that he has made but the conjuring is just epic. The first hour it just builds the whole thing and in the second hour true horror comes in the screen. From the first scene, I knew that this movie is going to make me bricks. And of course I was correct. Something really impressive was the actors and the cinematography of the film. Lili Taylor and Vera Farmiga were stunning. As for the cinematography I doubt that there is going to be a better film with that cinematography. Though it has no originality it gives to a horror fan what really wanted for many years. I don't think that there is going to be such a good horror movie in years. Thumbs up! 9,5/10 Expand
  30. Sep 15, 2013
    The Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intense to sit back. The only other option was to curl up in my seat while being bombarded with a fantastic story and scare tactics beyond the averageThe Conjuring is quite possibly the best horror movie of the past 5 or so years. I've been watching horror movies for 15+ years now, and nothing scared me quite as bad as this one. Too scary to move to the edge of your seat, but too intense to sit back. The only other option was to curl up in my seat while being bombarded with a fantastic story and scare tactics beyond the average possession tale. It's too unique of a horror movie to miss. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 3, 2013
    Wan’s film is a sturdily built supernatural chiller, with next-to-no digital effects or gore, and it delivers its scares with a breezy lack of urgency.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Jul 25, 2013
    I'd be shocked if we see a better horror film in 2013.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Jul 19, 2013
    The Conjuring is as toothless as it is because it's two different kinds of boring. The film's plot is explained exhaustively whenever loud noises aren't blaring, and random objects aren't teasingly leaping out at you from the corner of your eye.