7.7

1. Apr 10, 2014
    Critics said that it was one of the scariest horror movie from a long time.I said damn i should watch it and the result is that the cation is all in the end of the movie so before it's just long and long.The only good thing in the beginning is the creepy doll.
  2. Apr 4, 2014
    Many will try and have you believe that the atomosphere around the movie was terrifying, but I will tell you unless this is the first horror movie you've seen, nothing will scare you or creep you out.

The movie is so unoriginal. There is nothing creative, nor original, and especially not clever in this film. Not the first evil doll, paranormal activity, haunted house, nothing in this
    movie is good nor interesting. I literally fell asleep, right after my girlfriend. It took me about 5 times to watch the movie entirely. That's 1 more then Avatar.

The films only good aspects are the acting and maybe the directing.
  3. Mar 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies of all time!
    Positives:
    - Excellent Actors
    - Excellent Story
    - Great Atmosphere
    Negatives:
    - Abrupt Ending
    - Based on a true story, even though the story was amazing I'd rather not hear it being based on actual events.
  4. Mar 17, 2014
    from the guy who brought you saw and insidious james wan brought us the conjuring which is scary and freaky . i never saw a horror film that was based on a true story . this is sort of like amityville horror but hey it was a good film . i can not wait for the sequel
  5. Mar 16, 2014
    First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery, characters, especially Lorraine, who had a great role in the story; of course everyone had it own role, and the way they have solved the problem. The thing I didn't like so much was that the exorcism was a quick ritual in the film, about several minutes, where I wanted to see something more. Nevertheless, now, after I watched it it's on my favourite list, so I give it a 9, recommending it for the people who wants mistery. Expand
  6. Mar 12, 2014
    It is a nice movie with a great theme and background work. It is terrifying in several aspects, including the fact that it is based on a true story, but I believed it would have ended with a more interesting and surprising situation. However, its a nice movie.
  7. Feb 26, 2014
    Now I am always willing to give them a chance but I am often pretty unimpressed with haunting movies. I really enjoy horror movies but it seems like we get 10 haunting movies a year and none of them very good. The Conjuring on the other hand I thought was very well done, in particular James Wans directing and the cinematography. The story was your typical haunting story of a family moving into a new house and weird stuff happens but is still interesting to watch and scary because it was handled so well. These types of horror movies are not really my bag but this one has definitely impressed me. Expand
  8. Feb 19, 2014
    "Why is this movie getting awesome scores? What happened in this movie that hasn't happened in every other horror movie?"

It is an art to make good pictures. It is an art to make feel the viewer emotionally involved. It is an art to place, choose and time sound effects so that they are just "in time". Often in life it is not the story which is told. It is the WAY the story is told!!!!
    The conjuring - for shure - is a composition of already known story fragments, but the way the fragments have been arranged to a dense thrilling story are absolutely f***ng genious. There is barely nothing which I had to criticize respectively that can be criticized. And this is - by all respect to other filmmakers - a seldom situation. double thumps up into my bluray-collection! Expand
  9. Feb 17, 2014
    I've always been a fan of good horror movies. Sadly, nowadays, there is somewhat of a deficit amongst the genre, because, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a generic plot + dark premise + a few jumpscares = a good movie. Luckily, this movie isn't like that.
    I love this movie. And even as I nitpick my way through it, I manage to find just one thing I don't like about it. But let
    me get there first.
    This movie is really beautifuly shot. The whole direction it is going for has a very retro-horror vibe that I just can't help but enjoy. There are almost no effects, which I think is a huge plus, and those that are included are very effective. This movie doesn't rely simply on jumpscares, but on pure, well-built atmosphere, the overall look and feel of it brings a lot to this.
    It also sounds great, all the sound effects used are creepy, there are almost no random sharp sounds, like the ones used in Insidious (whichi I personally hated about it), there is also almost no awkward silence - it's a perfect mix.
    The acting in the movie is great. The people behind the movie knew exactly what kinds of people they need, so they just got those people, and they are perfect for their roles. Even the little kids are great at acting it out! It's simply a joy to watch all of these people interract with eachother on such a great level, at times it feels like real-life footidge of a family reunion and that's brilliant.
    The overall story is nothing we haven't seen before, but it's very well paced, which is key to a good horror movie. I really love what they did with the pacing here, though I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I give the movie credit for having scenes that most movies of the genre forget - those that expand on the characters and their bonds. However, here is also the one thing I don't like about this movie, and it's the paranormal apparition - it's not badly done, it's just not my thing and I didn't find it scary or creepy, I was intrigued and when I found out what it was, it all sort of went down hill from there for me, but this is just for me, so instead of my personal rating of a 8/10, I give it a almost perfect 9/10 - I recommend this movie to all horror fans, especially those who are nostalgic for retro horror. This movie is awesome!
  10. Feb 14, 2014
    To be honest, this has to be one of the better horrors I have seen in a while. Granted allot in this movie has been done before and the premise is nothing original, the movie as a whole feels fresh and genuinely scary at points. Rich atmosphere and all round decent acting give this movie the creepy vibe that many other horrors are lacking.

While they could have been a bit more daring
    and gone deeper with the narrative, I really have no gripes with this movie.

Overall:
    An enjoyable, creepy and highly atmospheric movie and probably the best horror movie of 2013. I loved it.
  11. Feb 14, 2014
    This movie is my best horror movie. The story is based on true events wich makes the movie even more scary especially if it's well played. It has a lot of moments where you think there will be jump scare but in the end it's nothing and thats what makes it so scary, there are a few jump scares yes but not always. Just in the right moments.
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    Now this is a real horror movie! So much scary scenes! The story was intresting, kinda boring at moments but still a great movie to watch! I recommend it if you want to watch a scary movie with less disgusting scenes!
  13. Jan 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of those horror movies where everyday stuff turn into nightmares. If you have ever lived in an old house you have experienced strange sounds that can't be explained by normal occurrences. In my opinion this fact is what makes this movie so scary and spooky. Expand
  14. Jan 5, 2014
    Estamos ante, lo que parece, la mejor película de terror del año. En verdad, en mucho tiempo yo no veía una película de terror de esta magnitud, sustos bien logrados por todas partes, escenas perturbadoras, un verdadero argumento basado en hechos reales, y lo más importante, sin caer en lo absurdo. La verdad esta y otras películas como la saga de "Saw", "Insidious", la película "Dead Silence" y muchas más por venir, convierten a James Wan en uno de los pioneros del horror moderno entre Rob Zombie y Sam Raimi. Lástima que se este interesando en otro tipo de películas (Fast & Furious 7), pero ya esperaremos a otra más de sus brillantes películas de terror. Me inclino hacia este proyecto; un sólido 8. Expand
  15. Jan 1, 2014
    It opens up with a creepy sub story, but ultimately possesses the same annoying problems as every other horror movie. Insidious was a more original and less ridiculous films, and the sound was terrifying. The Conjuring lacked on many things.
  16. Dec 31, 2013
    For the record, I am not into horror movies in general. Simply because, they are so overused in the areas of sex, and plenty of to last for the ages. I am not a prude, I enjoy over zealous movies (The Wolf ofWall Street) but I am shocked to say The Conjuring has no profanity, no sex scenes to speak of, and is still rated R. Why? The scares. The lighting. The acting. The direction. Absolutely perfect in terms of a watchable horror film. Scary is too much hype. It's frightening in the way that you aren't terrified in the theatre, but at home, Christ...the images of a doll come running back (no, not Chucky) and an esteemed cast that for once, the characters are not unlivable and they're not stupid. It's a bit slow, but rewarding in the end with effects that will shock and a plot that builds over time to a satisfying conclusion.
    You may say that James Wan, the director of Saw, has come to his finest hour with The Conjuring. It's a breezy, effortless film to watch, with popcorn occasionally flying and eyes subsequently being shut. At times, I found myself clinging to the arm of a friend (especially the scene with the old lady and Annabelle, the doll) but it's fun. A real picture that builds up over time, no cheap scares and at last, a movie where you care what happens to the characters. Please see.
  17. Dec 28, 2013
    This is an effective old school horror flick that favors tension and surprises over gore and killings. The Conjuring represents an improvement over Wan's Insidious, eliminating that film's overly corny elements.
  18. Dec 26, 2013
    Finally a horror movie that's actually decent! No, it's not anywhere near perfect. There are still some lines and scenes that are laughable at best. But there are some other ones that actually manage to creep you out. I wouldn't call the movie terrifying, but a couple of the characters actually have some personality and depth to them, and the direction is also pretty competent most of the time. This helped me to become mildly, but not drastically, engaged with the story. It really isn't original at all, but you can tell that some thought went into its creation, and that gives it a noticeable advantage on its genre peers. I still wouldn't expect anything come Oscar season though. It's efficiently entertaining, but it's nothing masterful. Expand
  19. Dec 24, 2013
    The Conjuring is easily the most scariest movie to date. Take what you think is scary and times it by 10, and your left with The Conjuring. This movie is a MUST for all horror fans. To the acting, dialogue and creepy sound effect this movie will leave you exhausted by the end wishing you never watched because I can tell you now you won't be getting a goods night sleep.
  20. Dec 21, 2013
    James Wan brings us the classic horror film that does scare anyone who is in the room from the first minute (literally), bringing a conbinacion Poltergeist, The Exorcist and The Shining reverse. The 2013 was good horror movies generally had good reviews as Mama and The Cottage of Terror (although in the latter my criticism was not positive). Vera Farmiga splendid as ever. The girls (Joey King Batman the Dark Knight rises, Mackenzie Foy Breaking Dawn Part 2 and others) keeps his performance very well. The best thing about the movie is the diabolical doll Anabelle since its first appearance in the movie scares, the plot and outcome. The only thing bad about 20 minutes without something interesting happens. Expand
  21. Dec 14, 2013
    Scary? For me, not really. If you were scared watching Paranormal Activity, then this film will probably scare you. I did find the film interesting though. Went online afterwords to research the story and authenticity of the film version.
  22. Dec 13, 2013
    The Conjuring thrills with its countless scares and tense atmosphere. Solid acting and great cinematography only excels this as a thoroughly enjoyable (and old-school) horror flick.
  23. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though it is the same old haunted house story and a predictable happy ending, the Conjuring delivers with the stylistic visuals that make James Wan's films great. Expand
  24. Dec 10, 2013
    Consensus: Well crafted, frightening, suspenseful, full of effective scares, excellent performances and with a terrifying picture. "THE CONJURING" by James Wan is definitely one of the best horror films in recent memory. Worldwide Box Office: $316,700,141. MY RATING: 89/100 (A-)

Directed By: James Wan

REVIEW: "The Conjuring" directed by James Wan (Insidious, SAW) is one of the most
    anticipated horror films in this year. The film begins very well, with one case of The Warrens "Annabelle" maintaining interest in the audience and then show us the story of this happy family (slowly and suspensefully during the first 20 minutes) who has noticed a couple of paranormal events happening in the house. After the first 30 minutes the worst happens!, suspense, more terror, epic scenes, loud noises, screams all the way down, all this well acted, with an original, awesome and terrifying picture and photography that is unleashed. The plot is extensive and very well explained; Always throughout the film is very well maintained of suspense, and i think that all the suspense made all the scares EFFECTIVE!, although none of the scares of The Conjuring are original but these are very creative and effective, the film reminds me of many others like: The Woman in Black (2012) Paranormal Activity 3 (2011), The Exorcist, etc. Yeah it's true The Conjuring is "more of the same but that doesn't mean that isn't scary or misspelled; Isn't overrated!, The film has that score on Rotten Tomatoes (87%) because he deserves it!. The film has amazing performances, highlight here fits nicely Patrick Wilson as always, Lili Tayor also does excelent it's always scared, tense all the time and one of the best performances of the film was undoubtedly the role that plays this girl Joey King (Christine) her performance was so good and so impressed me so much that I give her 10 OSCAR awards. One of the performances that didn't cause me fear or empathy is Vera Farmiga's performance she is very talented but in some parts (very few) her performance wasn't credible it was more...exaggerated as her character. Something else that I really like it in The Conjuring was ALL the terrifying moments, all the scares very well executed, and the film never became boring neither a minute!, always entertaining with his characters, his script perfectly prepared and with occasional jokes which includes the talented James Wan in the script. The film has nice special effects (as we can see in a video of the behind the scenes, all the work that was employed in this scenes) although many of them clearly are with CGI and it looks a bit crappy; But this movie need to use CGI in 2 or 3 scenes because it's very necessary. The weakest part of the film is the final part (The Exorcism Scene), still maintaining the terror, But in this part the film isn't original, is 0% original and at times this part was more funny than frightening. But still entertaining, the photography is very impressive, everything is in balance with this: the terror, suspense, tension,etc. So the end result is an extremely well crafted film, very well acted, full of effective scares, entertaining, incredibly frightening scares, and certainly I think that The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies of all the time.

NICE: All the scares are effective (Of course, if you haven't seen the trailer yet) PLEASE DON'T SEE THE TRAILER!, because almost of all the scares are ruined. Also has the picture, nice direction, a perfect and careful script, the performances of all the cast, and obviously this film is 100% entertaining.

FAIL: The lack of originality in many of the scares, so don't expect anything new in The Conjuring. The exorcism scene.

WATCH THIS MOVIE IF... Love or is your passion the horror genre without gore, also if you liked other films by James Wan like "Insidious", Watch this If you are very skittish or if you like suspense, also watch this if you have "average expectations"... I mean if you think that the movie isn't the 8th wonder but neither is a complete bull****.

DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE IF... You have highly extremely expectations because this movie ISN'T PERFECT!, Please don't see it if you like gore, bizarre scenes, etc.. Because the film hasn't much gore or deaths, or profanity, is pure horror and suspense at 100%.

Twitter: @MemoBosque, Facebook: Guillermo Bosque Mendoza,
    FULL REVIEW at my Blog: www.MemoBosque.Blogpsot.Mx
  25. Dec 9, 2013
    For a genre that almost always gets it wrong, The Conjuring finally gets it right. Not only is it actually scary, but the film also manages to tie in good acting, score, production, and a perfect pace. Something that cannot be said of any other horror movie that comes to mind.
  26. Nov 24, 2013
    Haunted dolls, levitating, Attack of Blind Pigeons, cheesy "dialogue", slamming doors, crucifixes, basement-as-center of activity...zzzzzz.....But, don't worry, in the end we're all brought back to flowers and unicorns and bubble-teas by a mother's love and god. Awwww.

This is galactically lame, desperate, and overdone with cheap jump-thrills. Just another horror movie that reminds us
    that The Exorcist is the gold standard which has yet to be beat. Expand
  27. Nov 19, 2013
    Without a doubt the scariest horror movie I have ever seen. After Insidious I was sure that James Wan could pull of a great horror movie, and I was right. Once again pairing with Patrick Wilson, James Wan creates a down-right terrifying possession flick that will give you chills, put you one the edge of your seat, and leave you gasping for air. I'm not typically scared during horror movies and I was terrified. Once the film gets going it does not stop, providing scare after scare after scare.

The problem with it is that it does take a little bit to get going. Not as long as other horror movies take, but it does take some time. Another issue are the unintentionally funny moments that plagued Wan's previous work "Insidious" are here as well. There is also the occasional lull between scares that just left me bored. These lulls aren't frequent or long, but they do get in the way. Overall though this a genuinely good horror movie that does something most other so called horror movies fail to do; provide genuine terror.

In my opinion James Wan might just be the best horror movie director out there. With this and Insidious he has proven to me that he knows how to create good horror movies and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next. If you're looking for a genuinely scary horror movie then this is a great choice. It has got some issues but that doesn't change the fact that this movie is not just scary, but also terrifying.
  28. Nov 7, 2013
    This movie is definitely one of the best horror movies I have seen so far. I was a bit skeptical at first of this movie, but once it started, I could not keep my eyes off the screen. It was definitely a better movie to see than "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls". I can't wait for James Wan's next installment in the Warren paranormal investigators saga.
  29. Nov 6, 2013
    A week ago my boyfriend and I watched “The Conjuring” for the first time. Before we watched the movie I expected the movie to be like any other horror flick someone dies, they get haunted, and then they beat the demon. But this movie was better. From the beginning of the movie to the end I was interested the whole time. It was suspenseful, exciting, frightening, and terrifying. I love scary and suspenseful movies, but this movie was better than any movie I have seen in a long time. After I watched the movie I wanted to watch it again. Expand
  30. Nov 5, 2013
    I'm an avid horror fan. Lately I've been thinking there isn't much that can scare me (though Sinister got under my skin). I appreciate James Wan's films, I love the first Saw, Insidious was a damn good modern ghost story, but like all reviews have stated for it, the movie kinda loses it's momentum in the final act.

The Conjuring is better, scarier, and more tense than Insidious. I'm
    gonna go out on a limb and say it's one of the best horror movies of the last 5 or 10 years. It goes back to the classic rule of horror film making, never show the bad guy fully to your audience. Plus this movie knows suspense, I tell you, I almost threw a water bottle at the screen from sheer terror once the scare finally happened. There are no fake jump scares, the movie earned an R rating without any blood, sex, or profanity, it's all from the terror that this movie builds upon.

Not only is the movie scary, but as a film itself, it's almost a masterpiece. The script, acting, direction, style, tone, etc were all simply top notch. Wan's camera-work here is by far his best out of any of his movies. The choice to set the movie in the 70s was a stroke of genius as it feels so authentic and all the more real. If this story were set in the present, it simply wouldn't be as a effective or scary. The 70s style film making, costuming, and hair styling are a great throwback to likes of The Exorcist & The Amityville Horror.

Though there are a few (extremely minor) flaws, such are length, repetitiveness, and a resolution that happens way too fast. I don't care, every horror movie (or movie in general) has it's flaws. There will never be a perfect horror movie, if there is one, I haven't seen it yet. But all I know is James Wan's The Conjuring is one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time, and it's been a really long time that a movie has scared me this badly.

10/10 Don't miss this one, it's an amazing theater viewing experience.

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 3, 2013
    Wan’s film is a sturdily built supernatural chiller, with next-to-no digital effects or gore, and it delivers its scares with a breezy lack of urgency.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Jul 25, 2013
    I'd be shocked if we see a better horror film in 2013.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Jul 19, 2013
    The Conjuring is as toothless as it is because it's two different kinds of boring. The film's plot is explained exhaustively whenever loud noises aren't blaring, and random objects aren't teasingly leaping out at you from the corner of your eye.