7.8

1. Dec 21, 2014
    The Conjuring thrills us with a scary atmosphere and Jump scares that actually works.The Conjuring is a good horror film,it maybe predictable at times but its still scary with countless jump scares and loveable characters that we don't want them to die.
  2. Dec 17, 2014
    Summary: The Conjuring is a memorable, well acted and genuinely frightening horror film. 90/100 [A-]

The Conjuring is a horror film directed by James Wan and it was my most anticipated horror movie of 2013. Moving on, the opening scene is spooky, since here you can behold the stunning camera work; this little scene is about a possessed doll called Annabelle. This scene keeps the suspense and the scariness. There are two stories in the movie; the first one is about Lorraine and Ed Warren, they are two paranormal investigators, both have a little daughter and they live in a nice house. Then, there's the other story about a likable family who has experienced some paranormal events in their new home. It doesn't matter how cliche it sounds, this is a terrific horror film

After the first 30 minutes or so, there are the first scares, all of them are very effective, unexpected and well executed. Even though I didn't jump out of my seat (maybe because jump-scares are not effective in me and some of the scares were in the trailer) I have to admit that the film freaked me out so much, it boasts some extremely violent sequences and it was so damn thrilling at several moments. A few scares were pretty familiar and it's true that it doesn't offer something new to the horror genre, but it has enough creativity and originality to succeed. In addition, it is very similar in tone to 'The Woman in Black', both have a well handled suspense and an atmospheric setting.

The performances were great, even the young cast was awesome. The most believable character in the film was Christine (performed by Joey King), this girl was excellent. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga were good as always, Vera's character "Lorraine" was a bit surreal but her stunning performance made me believe in all of what she said. Also, Lili Taylor did an excellent job with her role throughout the film, she was amazing, especially in the chilling final act. Moving on, the special effects were quite realistic and so well done. In spite of being a low budget film, it didn't use too much CGI, maybe just in a couple scenes, but everything looks great anyway.

Its final act has some flaws, the exorcism scene has its ups and downs. However, I still liked it, this whole sequence is truly violent, a bit bloody and creepy. The acting was awesome here, Lili Taylor is such a great actress and she really looked like a possessed woman. I just can't believe that Wan directed this flick, most of his previous movies are quite average; but this one, it's a total blast. The Conjuring is an extremely well done horror film that has an impressive camera work, a great cast and lots of memorable scares. It definitely earns its R rating because it's very gruesome and evil at times. It's my favorite horror film of 2013. Oh, and please don't watch the trailer, it's a huge spoiler. [A-]
  3. Dec 8, 2014
    It's good to have a good time, but anything else. I think that this film is a decent horror film filled with tension, and some scary moments that works. The atmosphere created by James Wan is very good and it really works, I'm going to see Annabelle and check if it's as good as the conjuring. The film's plot isn´t much, but it isn't really bad. The film hasn´t a wonderful cast, but they doIt's good to have a good time, but anything else. I think that this film is a decent horror film filled with tension, and some scary moments that works. The atmosphere created by James Wan is very good and it really works, I'm going to see Annabelle and check if it's as good as the conjuring. The film's plot isn´t much, but it isn't really bad. The film hasn´t a wonderful cast, but they do it well. The film is good to have a good time (as I said before) with your friends, or alone. I recommend it to horror film lovers and to people who wants to have a scary night. Expand
  4. Nov 23, 2014
    The Conjuring es una película del género terror que logra cumplir con las expectativas del género, sin duda alguna va a ser considerada una de las mejores películas de terror del 2013.
  5. Nov 13, 2014
    My first REAL Horror movie I have ever watched .....Final Destination 5, The Purge, The Bay. and the Resident Evil movies are horror movies I have watched but THIS is my first demon-posssession/exorcism type of horror I have ever watched. And guess what? I watched it late at night, on my Ipod Touch with earbuds on pretty loud. And guess what? Its one of my favorites of all time! ReallyMy first REAL Horror movie I have ever watched .....Final Destination 5, The Purge, The Bay. and the Resident Evil movies are horror movies I have watched but THIS is my first demon-posssession/exorcism type of horror I have ever watched. And guess what? I watched it late at night, on my Ipod Touch with earbuds on pretty loud. And guess what? Its one of my favorites of all time! Really really loved it! My favorite horror flick so far....definitely will look more into James Wans movies. Already checked him out on the IMDB!!.

And this is what has got me into horror movies and now I freaking love horror flicks. Hollywood sure is awesome guys, don't you think? Go see the Conjuring! Oh, and Resident evil are zombie movies.
  6. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Conjuring" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"The Conjuring" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: While it was more jumpy than scary (as most horror films are these days), it does have some genuinely creepy moments. Based on actual people who claimed to have been involved in the exorcism of a possessed house, the story is an interesting one. Vera Farmiga is one of my least favorite actresses, but she does a great job here. The cast as a whole was more than adequate. An entertaining and enjoyable horror film.

The Bad: A few supporting characters were sort of forced into the film. You're supposed to care about them somewhat as they feign an attempt to give them personality ... but it doesn't work. There is a lull in the middle where they are investigating the home that I could have done without. Lastly, while it has become a modern horror staple, I wish it hadn't relied on so many hollow jumpy moments.
  7. Nov 9, 2014
    The Conjuring thrills with its countless scares and tense atmosphere. Solid acting and great cinematography only excels this as a thoroughly enjoyable (and old-school) horror flick.
  8. Nov 8, 2014
    Horrorosa, perturbante, suspensiva, e inteligente. The Conjuring tiene el paquete completo que una muy buena pelicula de horror deberia tener. Además de garantizarte unas cuantas noches de pesadillas con todo el asunto.
  9. Nov 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to say, I really think the initial teaser trailer was far scarier than the film. The clapping sequence and the doll are both terrifying. However that is where the actuals scares end. Of course there are plenty of jumps throughout, but only the clapping and the doll hold any lasting menace. That is not to say that this isn't an enjoyable film overall, because it is. It's just not quite as scary as it could have been. Expand
  10. Oct 23, 2014
    Using haunting and disturbing imagery instead of violence and gore made the human life a precious thing in "The Conjuring" and that is why enjoyed it a lot. It's a film that is scary enough for You to turn on all the lights and lock all the doors in your house.
  11. Oct 16, 2014
    Los sustos que da son bastante eficientes y la película en si se siente superior en todo a la ridícula Insidious.
    Recomendable a quien le guste el terror con aire clásico, pero con temas espirituales.
  12. Oct 11, 2014
    Stupid ass movie title! NOTHING is CONJURED in this movie!! Stupid writers and the director should go read a dictionary before slapping the title onto this movie! They also recycle the frickin UV-light **** again.
  13. Oct 8, 2014
    Pass on Annabelle and watch this movie again. This was the first horror movie I've seen with such amazing production values, but it was kept at an affordable price for a film that had as much talent as this one did; and it made millions because it was actually scary, and actually well written. The Conjuring is full of scary moments that show how scary demon possession is, there is noPass on Annabelle and watch this movie again. This was the first horror movie I've seen with such amazing production values, but it was kept at an affordable price for a film that had as much talent as this one did; and it made millions because it was actually scary, and actually well written. The Conjuring is full of scary moments that show how scary demon possession is, there is no hidden agenda and the demons don't come off as pompous idiots who just mess with you. These demons mentally destroyed these people beyond repair. Expand
  14. Sep 2, 2014
    "The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet it flows very well. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are great together as the Warrens. Really, the entire cast was great. This is a great movie to"The Conjuring" is one of the better supernatural films to come out in the last few years. It's scary, intriguing, and highly enjoyable. The movie has a very 70's feel to it, especially the cinematography, and the story is pretty simple, yet it flows very well. Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga are great together as the Warrens. Really, the entire cast was great. This is a great movie to watch and get scared with your friends. I highly recommend it. Expand
  15. Sep 2, 2014
    The Conjuring is by and far the scariest film of 2013. A film about paranormal investigators (vividly portrayed by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga), it's chilling and a flashback to early horror flicks.
  16. Aug 31, 2014
    "When the music stops, you'll see him in the mirror standing behind you." - April

This is why i love horror movies.One of the best horror movies i ever seen.
  17. Aug 26, 2014
    This movie caused a big buzz so my best friend dragged me to see it. There are few horrors that can scare me but this movie didn't. Anyways, the plot and the casting were good but there was something missing from it that would give it a higher score.
  18. Aug 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies I've ever watched. The story is fantastic [and real], I guess I am more afraid of ghosts than I was before seeing this film, it's very good indeed.
  19. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Conjuring was the best horror movie I've watched! It actually happened and there's a reasonable story behind the true events, as well as the movie!
  20. Jul 6, 2014
    When it comes to the horror genre and even the drama genre for that matter, "The Conjuring" gets a lot right. Physically, this film is shot so beautifully with constantly changing angles and dramatic zooms in and out of frame. The set design and costumes were also integral to the look and chilling atmosphere of the film.
    This is probably the most thrilling, beautifully shot, and most
    This is probably the most thrilling, beautifully shot, and most traumatizing horror films in recent memory.
  21. Jun 12, 2014
    Again, I DARE YOU TO WATCH THIS FILM BY YOURSELF IN THE DARK!!! It's so scary, the government are thinking of adding this film as part of training in the military, in helping soldiers face their fears. lol
  22. May 26, 2014
    Why did people like this, how? This movie was cliche after cliche, everything in this movie was ripped from other (better) movies, and everything major that happened was so easy to see coming that it was PAINFUL.
  23. May 25, 2014
    Based on a true stroy The Conjuring is a movie that follows a family in the early 70's that was being tormented by a demonic demon so they soon seek out the help of paranormal investigators to get rid of the demon haunting them. The story itself is nothing new and the events surrounding the story isn't anything new but James Wan delivers on the suspense of the telling of a old story. ThereBased on a true stroy The Conjuring is a movie that follows a family in the early 70's that was being tormented by a demonic demon so they soon seek out the help of paranormal investigators to get rid of the demon haunting them. The story itself is nothing new and the events surrounding the story isn't anything new but James Wan delivers on the suspense of the telling of a old story. There wasn't any jump scare moments well at least none that got me. Also only being made on a 20 million budget was great none of it looked bad and for making over 300 million worldwide that is something.

Overall i give it a 7.5 The movie freaked my mom out she siad she wanted to watch a scary movie then after she siad she never want's to see this movie ever again i laughed =D the movie isn't scary at all
  24. May 2, 2014
    With such a great cast, great direction, many jump scares, turns out to be not as scary as i expected, but it was way more interesting that i hoped. The story will make you keep on watching until you know what will happen at the end, by the hand of a terrifying score by Joseph Bishara.
  25. Apr 28, 2014
    The same old generic story of a family moving into a house that is apparently haunted by a demon wasn't anything new. But it was pretty effective in scares. I was surprisingly satisfied with this film. The characters were fairly developed and the acting was great especially the kids. This movie offered scares and unsettling. I definitely recommend this film for those looking for horrifying thrill.
  26. Apr 10, 2014
    Critics said that it was one of the scariest horror movie from a long time.I said damn i should watch it and the result is that the cation is all in the end of the movie so before it's just long and long.The only good thing in the beginning is the creepy doll.
  27. Apr 4, 2014
    Many will try and have you believe that the atomosphere around the movie was terrifying, but I will tell you unless this is the first horror movie you've seen, nothing will scare you or creep you out.

The movie is so unoriginal. There is nothing creative, nor original, and especially not clever in this film. Not the first evil doll, paranormal activity, haunted house, nothing in this movie is good nor interesting. I literally fell asleep, right after my girlfriend. It took me about 5 times to watch the movie entirely. That's 1 more then Avatar.

The films only good aspects are the acting and maybe the directing.
  28. Mar 23, 2014
    One of the best horror movies of all time!
    Positives:
    - Excellent Actors
    - Excellent Story
    - Great Atmosphere
    Negatives:
    - Abrupt Ending
    - Based on a true story, even though the story was amazing I'd rather not hear it being based on actual events.
  29. Mar 17, 2014
    from the guy who brought you saw and insidious james wan brought us the conjuring which is scary and freaky . i never saw a horror film that was based on a true story . this is sort of like amityville horror but hey it was a good film . i can not wait for the sequel
  30. Mar 16, 2014
    First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery,First I heard about it I thought I was going to be really scared about it, but rare times it scared me. But that's not very important, because the movie was not made to be horror. The story was a very good one, which made me think and ask myself why was doing that character a certain weird thing. Even the movie wasn't what I was looking for, I liked it very much because of mistery, characters, especially Lorraine, who had a great role in the story; of course everyone had it own role, and the way they have solved the problem. The thing I didn't like so much was that the exorcism was a quick ritual in the film, about several minutes, where I wanted to see something more. Nevertheless, now, after I watched it it's on my favourite list, so I give it a 9, recommending it for the people who wants mistery. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Aug 3, 2013
    Wan’s film is a sturdily built supernatural chiller, with next-to-no digital effects or gore, and it delivers its scares with a breezy lack of urgency.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Jul 25, 2013
    I'd be shocked if we see a better horror film in 2013.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Abrams
    Jul 19, 2013
    The Conjuring is as toothless as it is because it's two different kinds of boring. The film's plot is explained exhaustively whenever loud noises aren't blaring, and random objects aren't teasingly leaping out at you from the corner of your eye.