The Dance of Reality

7.1

1. Jun 1, 2014
    Alejandro Jodorowsky is back! Could there be a better time? Cinema needs daring filmmakers like this who ground the truly absurd in reality. Like EL TOPO and HOLY MOUNTAIN, THE DANCE OF REALITY is far from perfect. The film is at least 30 minutes too long with sequences that come out of left field with no impact. But the central statement, an examination of dogma--religious, social, andAlejandro Jodorowsky is back! Could there be a better time? Cinema needs daring filmmakers like this who ground the truly absurd in reality. Like EL TOPO and HOLY MOUNTAIN, THE DANCE OF REALITY is far from perfect. The film is at least 30 minutes too long with sequences that come out of left field with no impact. But the central statement, an examination of dogma--religious, social, and political--the easy bending of our minds that impact us all, is an important topic to explore and Jodorowsky does it winningly. Yes, the message is clear and loud. We are hit on the head with it. Maybe sometimes we need to be hit? Expand
  2. Jun 8, 2014
    The man is an incredible filmmaker through and through. I wouldn't say the film is flawless but I feel like Jodorowsky exploits the films flaws to a whimsical amount. It's a fantastic and very personal film from a teacher. Jodorowsky remains the most ballsy filmmaker working not only because of his style but also for his powerful statements about religious and societal conditioning.

1. Reviewed by: Ben Nicholson
    Aug 27, 2015
    The Dance of Reality is a rich and expressive new offering from a man who has always tried to sculpt something resembling cinematic poetry, whatever that might look like.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 13, 2014
    Even when it is at its most esoteric, The Dance of Reality is always brimming with passion and a daring originality. That helps smooth over the flaws, such as its general staginess and his self-indulgent tendencies.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 5, 2014
    The Dance of Reality, which deserves a place along Amarcord as a fantastical take on coming of age, is the work of a wise and experienced old soul with the heart and curiosity of a young man in love with life.