8.4

1. Jul 22, 2012
    Fantastic ending to Nolan's trilogy. Had to see it a second time to really appreciate the plot, nuances, dialogues and ending. Simply brilliant. Worthy to be seen a few more times in theater until the blu ray comes out!
  2. Jul 21, 2012
    The dark night rises can be summed up in one word. dissapointing. I am a big fan of the series prior to this but the bad combination of shaky characters, a copied plot line, and logic flaws made this movie two and a half hours of dissapointment. the movies new characters have barely any explanation to them at all and the new thing about batman torn about weather he should retire or notThe dark night rises can be summed up in one word. dissapointing. I am a big fan of the series prior to this but the bad combination of shaky characters, a copied plot line, and logic flaws made this movie two and a half hours of dissapointment. the movies new characters have barely any explanation to them at all and the new thing about batman torn about weather he should retire or not goes against the fact that it is a batman movie (not to mention its very poorly scripted). the dark night does redeem itself alittle with anne hathaway playing a sexy well developed catwoman. when the movie first started and the very first action scene was done with i was excited and hopefull about this movie... but eventually it drug out drama with bruce wayne in a very dull segment of the movie and when the plot line actually starts to unfold i figured out that they had simply done the same basic thing in the first movie. the plit twists were not built up well and made the movie even worse... on top of all theses flaws pure logic flaws stop me from being emmersed into the dramatic critical point in the story like hundreds of people running at tanks and machine guns. ten men with assault rifles and cover could hold down the entire group of police officers. not to mention one of them could just toss a grenade at batman or bane and end the whole thing. cat woman seemed to be immune to bullet fire and the auto pilot was a poor excuse for the ending twist. and banes mask was explained horribly and an army of underground contractors with machine guns was never seen by anyone? all in all the movie does look epic and when it actually gets to a fight scene with bane and batman (theres only two and theyre not long) it does look awesome. although i love batman and i try to like this movie it has way to many shortcomings and outright stupidity for me to like it. stay safe and dont go to this movie Expand
  3. Jul 21, 2012
    This was an excellent and fitting conclusion to the Batman Trilogy. First off, the acting/cast was brilliant; who could expect less with so many big-name actors/actresses, and with Alfred as the emotional anchor of the movie. The development of Bane as a villain was perfection from beginning to end - his depth rivals that of the Joker from The Dark Knight. The negative reviews mostlyThis was an excellent and fitting conclusion to the Batman Trilogy. First off, the acting/cast was brilliant; who could expect less with so many big-name actors/actresses, and with Alfred as the emotional anchor of the movie. The development of Bane as a villain was perfection from beginning to end - his depth rivals that of the Joker from The Dark Knight. The negative reviews mostly lament over the drawn-out length of the movie, but I thought the pacing was great and there was always something to capture your attention, with the ending being the best of all . This is a superhero definitely worthy of a Best Picture Nomination (The Dark Knight was as well, but was snubbed). Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2012
    Running at about 2 hours and 45 minutes, this movie is an full hands on anxiety attack. Christopher Nolan delivers his capstone to the wonderfully created Batman trilogy with "The Dark Knight Rises", and boy did he deliver. From its riveting action sequences to the carefully plotted out character arcs, "Rises" keeps audiences on the edge of their seats throughout the entire duration of theRunning at about 2 hours and 45 minutes, this movie is an full hands on anxiety attack. Christopher Nolan delivers his capstone to the wonderfully created Batman trilogy with "The Dark Knight Rises", and boy did he deliver. From its riveting action sequences to the carefully plotted out character arcs, "Rises" keeps audiences on the edge of their seats throughout the entire duration of the film.
    The story line is virtually flawless. The phenomenal pairing of Christopher Nolan and his brother Jonathan on the script continues to deliver from film to film, and it sure shows up here. The reason why Nolan's Batman is so impeccable is the fact that everything that happens in the movie could possibly happen in real life. The threats are real, the villains are real, the effects are real, and the emotions are real. "Rises" grips you tighter than any of the other previous Batman's, because Nolan has delivered two previous amazing movies that give you a sense of urgency. You want fulfillment to Bruce Wayne's legacy, and this does just that. As the movie goes on, Nolan keeps dropping weights on the structure of the movie every second he gets. It builds, and builds, and builds, until its absolute and utter breaking point. Some people might argue that the story has too much build, but I completely disagree. This is the perfect amount of suspense, because as the end draws near, the audience is anticipating that tiny leaf that causes the structure to collapse. In the movie, Bane (Tom Hardy) holds Gotham in his bone-crushing hands for five whole months, he even gets the entire nation's attention by holding them at bay from his terror attack. And whilst in the theater, it feels as though you are with these characters for five months (Not because of the run time, but because of the suspense. I know what you were thinking). In the end, Nolan delivers a masterpiece of storyline and scriptwriting. There was not one moment where I felt that the script lacked, or the plot contained holes. However, the "meat and potatoes" of this Film could not exist without the acting.
    Christian Bale once again amazes audiences with his extreme dedication (did you see the amount of weight on his face that oscillated as the movie progressed) and incredible acting. He once again proves how he is the best Batman to date. Morgan Freeman (Lucius Fox) and Michael Caine (Alfred) continue to show how the are two of the worlds most respected actors. Michael Caine brings the entire audience to tears at least twice, if not three times. His acting is just dead on. He captures Alfred so well, that it defeats the performance of the very hard-to-beat, and loveable Michael Gough from the original series. Also returning to the trilogy is the wonderful Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon), who you just can't help but love. Oldman's acting is stunning and he brings something new to Gordon every movie. Now as far as the newcomers to Nolan's Batman, they steal the show. Anne Hathaway (Selina Kyle) knocks it out of the park. Her portrayal of Catwoman is superb, and is by far the best one yet. Her sleek attitude is perfectly executed, as well as her faked emotions and persona when she's "on the job". Hathaway brings the perfect blend of evil, stubbornness, likability, and good to Selina Kyle. Her contrast and change throughout the film is wonderful to watch, and you just can't help but fall in love with her. But to Catwoman's temporary evil is the "necessary evil" of Tom Hardy's Bane. Hardy is the perfect villain. His mask is terrifying, but it covers up most of his face. But that right there is the beauty of Hardy's wonderful performance. The fact that he only has two ways of acting below the face and pulls it off is unbelievable. Tom's vocal performance is stunning. Especially in his and Batman's first fight underground. He grips the audience with sheer fear when he talks. But perhaps the thing that tops off Bane is his eyes. Bane holds the entire emotion of his performance in his eyes. His monologues could just be spoken with them alone. And lastly, Marion Cotillard (Miranda Tate) fulfills the hole that was left to us by Rachel, and she does a fantastic job. And it was so nice to see Cillian Murphy (Jonathan Crane) and Liam Neeson (Ra's Al Ghul) again. Now for the parts I wasn
  5. Jul 21, 2012
    best superhero movie i have ever seen, maybe even best ever. highly recommend seeing it. people who gave this less than a 9 would not know a movie if it was jammed up their ass.
  6. Jul 21, 2012
    I had astronomical expectations for this film. I was so happy that not only did it meet my expectations but it blew past them.

I re-watched the previous two films in the trilogy the night before. This movie ties in much more heavily with the first than the second. There's so much awesome plot and character development that connects this to the first film to make it seem larger than life.

The acting was phenomenal and Anne Hathaway's performance as Catwoman was great. This is the kind movie that will leave you awestruck, laughing, and crying all at the same time. (No joke, a huge majority of the theater was crying at one point.)

I saw it at the Lincoln Center Imax (largest screen in the country 100x85 feet or something). This is the only way to see the movie. I felt a part of the dark knight world. Especially the fight scenes between batman and bane. You truly feel every hit that was exchanged. Also the imax resolution was phenomenal. It wasn't watching a movie this was a life experience everyone should have.

Finally for the comparisons. I feel Bane was a better villain than the joker. Joker was awesome for all the chaos and his sick humor, but bane was visceral, ferocious, and extremely intelligent. It just made him more menacing. He even brings Gotham to its knees! As for the Avengers. Two completely different styles of film but the story in this movie as well as the characters and acting were just so much more enjoyable and entertaining than the avengers.

I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did. Also rewatch the previous two films before hand to really see just how well tied in these films are.
  7. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises shoots for the stars and achieves it. By far one of the best films I've ever seen, and an instant classic. The Dark Knight has RISEN!!
  8. Jul 21, 2012
    This is a good movie. But it is not a great movie, and comes nowhere close to the brilliance of the previous film in the series, The Dark Knight. There are some very good moments, and I particularly enjoyed the performances of Michael Caine and Tom Hardy. The latter's fruity English voice worked surprisingly well and was quite disturbingly villainous, although it would have been a lotThis is a good movie. But it is not a great movie, and comes nowhere close to the brilliance of the previous film in the series, The Dark Knight. There are some very good moments, and I particularly enjoyed the performances of Michael Caine and Tom Hardy. The latter's fruity English voice worked surprisingly well and was quite disturbingly villainous, although it would have been a lot better if I could clearly make out what he was saying! Nolan has achieved a dark, menacing tone and successfully sustained it throughout 153 minutes - no small feat.

However, underlying the serious tone is a rather facile, disorganized and generally unserious plot. In particular I found the "autopilot" Chekov's gun jarring, but it had good company in the form of irrelevant and aborted arcs. The plot twists to the point where the main action seems almost pointless by the end, and I wound up scratching my head as to why they'd bothered filming the first hour of the movie at all.

Hardy's version of Bane is actually a really good villain - even by comparison to Ledger's Joker - but it's as if Nolan is wary of putting him fully in the spotlight. So he hedges his bets, throwing in a confused and confusing variety of sub-conflicts and cameos. Unfortunately this lack of focus all but destroys the drama.

Finally, the sloppy editing and excessive length both contributed to an overall sense that this is a film that could have done with fewer ingredients and a sharper sense of purpose.
  9. Jul 21, 2012
    A big and solid thrillride. It is not perfect however and contains less depth and relevance than it claims to. I like Nolans firmly logical approach to film-making and his portrayal of rationality, but he misses some of the beauty of humanity and individuals, he misses grace and love and kindness in his protagonists, and the antagonists don't seem very deeply motivated, though they kind ofA big and solid thrillride. It is not perfect however and contains less depth and relevance than it claims to. I like Nolans firmly logical approach to film-making and his portrayal of rationality, but he misses some of the beauty of humanity and individuals, he misses grace and love and kindness in his protagonists, and the antagonists don't seem very deeply motivated, though they kind of get explained. In other words, Batman as seen by a great orchestrator but a less great psychologist and humanist. More so than in the previous movies of his trilogy. Recommended for the fun ride. Expand
  10. Jul 21, 2012
    Easily the most epic and awe-inspiring of the trilogy, although it does not quite reach the tormented depth of its predecessor. It is one of the most fulfilling ending to a saga that I have ever seen, and as a whole the trilogy will likely go down in history as the greatest comic book interpretation of all time.
  11. Jul 21, 2012
    This is truly the best movie of all time. The reason I say this is because it delivers the perfect ending and brilliant storyline to the most anticipated Batman movie of all time, and the most anticipated ending to a trilogy of all time. The opening scene/s are jaw dropping and is/are the perfect way to start the Dark Knight Rises. A top of the line cast, with terrific performances fromThis is truly the best movie of all time. The reason I say this is because it delivers the perfect ending and brilliant storyline to the most anticipated Batman movie of all time, and the most anticipated ending to a trilogy of all time. The opening scene/s are jaw dropping and is/are the perfect way to start the Dark Knight Rises. A top of the line cast, with terrific performances from each and every one of them. Christopher Nolan does a fantastic job of delivering a perfect plot that is deep yet perfectly poised and told. The visual effects as well as the overall climax and sheer power of each scene are second to none. Tom Hardy, Bane really is the ultimate villain, second only to Heath Ledger, The Joker. An incredible experience that keeps all of the true faithful Batman fans beyond happy, along with all other viewers happy and thrilled due to the great acting, plot, and execution. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises truly is an untouchable trilogy that tops the list among all the others. Christian Bale is Batman, and this film is without a doubt a masterpiece beyond the limits of what we all thought was achievable. The Dark Knight Rises is the ultimate experience. Expand
  12. Jul 21, 2012
    When i first walked into the theater to see this movie, i had read the reviews on "Rotten Tomatoes" saying that it was average and that its not really much. It had gotten an 87%. I expected this movie to be more than just an 87% and i expected it to be a huge success. This movie was more than just a success, it was simply a masterpiece and a great way to end Christopher Nolan's BatmanWhen i first walked into the theater to see this movie, i had read the reviews on "Rotten Tomatoes" saying that it was average and that its not really much. It had gotten an 87%. I expected this movie to be more than just an 87% and i expected it to be a huge success. This movie was more than just a success, it was simply a masterpiece and a great way to end Christopher Nolan's Batman saga. From the first scene with Bane until the very end, i was on the edge of my seat with my jaw wide open. This is everything viewers wanted in a finale. (and more.) In the beginning of the movie we are introduced to Bane(Played by Tom Hardy). A mercenary who was "born and raised in hell on earth". At first he didn't seem like much. just a very big muscular guy with a portable Darth Vader voice changer mask, but then his first plan goes in action and you realize how much of a bad ass he really is. Throughout the movies progression we learn more about Bane and what he is really after. We also learn that he is brutal. VERY brutal. He doesn't care about other life and is only out to fulfill his master plan. Bane stole the show. He is (in my opinion) a better villain than the joker because he is very strategical and has raw power that can literally obliterate anything in his path.
    But bane wasn't the only great new character in this saga, Catwoman(Played by Ann Hathaway) is the greatest on screen catwoman ever. Ann Hathaway portrayed this character very well and i wouldn't be surprised if she were to win awards for this memorable performance. The other two new comers (Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake and Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate) were both also very well done, but Bane and Catwoman were by far the best. Cristian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and Morgan Freeman also gave stellar performances as there characters who they have been playing for 8 years. For me, This movie has redefined the way i see movies. It had a little bit of everything a summer blockbuster needs. Action, Adventure, Comedy, Suspense, etc. I myself found myself very satisfied with this film and so did everyone in the theater i was in. Christopher Nolan has done something no one else has. He got a hero that was once frowned upon in the film industry, thanks to previous flops, and reinvented him into an icon that can never be forgotten. He's given us, the movie goers something that people can look forward all the time without regret. He has given us a trilogy that had a great beginning, a powerful and memorable sequel, and an epic conclusion. Every Batman movie made from now on, will be compared to the saga of Christopher Nolan's greatest trilogy ever.
  13. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a near-perfect masterpiece, my favorite film of the year so far, one of the best superhero films ever made, and one of the most fitting conclusions to a film series ever. The cast is at its best here and the story will keep you on the edge of your seat when the amazing action scenes take place. The climax is one of the most breathtaking I've ever seen and theThe Dark Knight Rises is a near-perfect masterpiece, my favorite film of the year so far, one of the best superhero films ever made, and one of the most fitting conclusions to a film series ever. The cast is at its best here and the story will keep you on the edge of your seat when the amazing action scenes take place. The climax is one of the most breathtaking I've ever seen and the conclusion make the last couple of minutes of the film so satisfying and wrap the trilogy up nicely. Definitely go see it and keep the victims o the horrific Colorado shooting in hearts as well. Expand
  14. BKM
    Jul 21, 2012
    Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy miraculously lives up to the hype that began following the phenomenal success of 2008's The Dark Knight. This time Batman squares off against Bane, a beefy tank of a villain intent on bringing Gotham to its knees. There's a lot going on in this movie; a plethora of characters to keep up with, eye popping visual effects, a myriadChristopher Nolan's conclusion to his Dark Knight trilogy miraculously lives up to the hype that began following the phenomenal success of 2008's The Dark Knight. This time Batman squares off against Bane, a beefy tank of a villain intent on bringing Gotham to its knees. There's a lot going on in this movie; a plethora of characters to keep up with, eye popping visual effects, a myriad of themes and emotions. Yet Nolan manages to blend them all together for one heck of a ride. The Dark Knight Rises is a summer blockbuster with brains, heart and ambition. It is also one of the best films of the year. Expand
  15. Jul 21, 2012
    '' The Dark Knight Rises '' is a satisfying end to this amazing trilogy. There are so many good things about this movie, that it's almost flawless. It had good acting, great story, character development, everything. In my opinion, I think that '' The Dark Knight '' was a little bit better, maybe because of the Joker, but whatever. Anyway, it's so rare to see a trilogy so great, without one'' The Dark Knight Rises '' is a satisfying end to this amazing trilogy. There are so many good things about this movie, that it's almost flawless. It had good acting, great story, character development, everything. In my opinion, I think that '' The Dark Knight '' was a little bit better, maybe because of the Joker, but whatever. Anyway, it's so rare to see a trilogy so great, without one bad movie. Thank you Christopher Nolan for remaking and saving the Batman movies (we all remember the terrible '' Batman and Robin '' (1997)). People shouldn't really compare it with '' The Avengers '', because there are both great superhero movies. '' The Avengers '' had better action, '' The Dark Knight Rises '' had a more interesting story, that's all I'm saying . The only bad aspect I can think of this movie is that some moments were long and a little bit boring, but otherwise it's enjoyable. It definitely lives up to the hype. When the film finished, the audience applauded. Expand
  16. Jul 21, 2012
    I read the critique that it was overly bleak, but seemed about the same level of darkness as the 2nd movie. The only difference was this one was at least 45 minutes too long. I thought it was very mediocre, a bit tedious and certainly too long. The hand-to-hand combat was very poor and telegraphed. Not much new to see and a bit boring.
  17. Jul 21, 2012
    Slow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was just not fun. The comics are good fun, this, meh. It would be fine to see this on video. There were two major, whose stupid idea was that moments. IfSlow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was just not fun. The comics are good fun, this, meh. It would be fine to see this on video. There were two major, whose stupid idea was that moments. If you are a fan, I suspect they will disappoint you. Expand
  18. Jul 21, 2012
    I wanna start by saying even though about 85% of the reviews are more then positive, i can't understand what the other 15% are talking about, from a writing stand point this is the best trilogy... ever, period, bar none, as for this movie, if you like a great story with twists and turns, some you can see coming and others you didn't expect, solid acting and above all else if your a batmanI wanna start by saying even though about 85% of the reviews are more then positive, i can't understand what the other 15% are talking about, from a writing stand point this is the best trilogy... ever, period, bar none, as for this movie, if you like a great story with twists and turns, some you can see coming and others you didn't expect, solid acting and above all else if your a batman fan you can't not love this movie, without giving spoilers away... seeing how batman begins starts and what bruce waynes intention was, the dark knight rises ends in a perfect way, he lives up to his goal and if you ask me thats how to end a trilogy, for those who complain its to slow paced and it feels like a cop movie that might be true if your under the age of 13... for those people... watch the crap burton movies with no plot, no investment in the characters or any kind of structure with none stop action, go watch that crap, for those with taste, class and know a good story it gets no better then this... i give the dark knight rises a 15 out of 10... yea its that good. Expand
  19. Jul 21, 2012
    This film was very well made, but it for sure hat its flaws. First, the whole first 3rd of the movie is really slow, and I thought it was going to be a horrible movie. Luckily it picks up, and its great from there on out. I loved Bane, maybe even more so than the joker, but mainly because he just kicks the crap out of Batman, and its awesome. I loved Bane's voice actually. There is a bitThis film was very well made, but it for sure hat its flaws. First, the whole first 3rd of the movie is really slow, and I thought it was going to be a horrible movie. Luckily it picks up, and its great from there on out. I loved Bane, maybe even more so than the joker, but mainly because he just kicks the crap out of Batman, and its awesome. I loved Bane's voice actually. There is a bit to much foreshadow in my opinion, but a definite must see! Expand
  20. Jul 21, 2012
    epic. certainly these three batman movies form a whole, this being my favorite, definitely a perfect ending. as said another film critic batman trilogy does this child look around the marvel universe
  21. Jul 21, 2012
    Another Nolan masterpiece. I love the Batman films and thankfully the last one didn't disappoint. 10/10. Bale comes back to reprise his role as Batman and as always does a fantastic job. Michael Caine is as brilliant as ever as is Gary Oldman, Ann Hathaway, Tom Hardy who did an awesome job as Bane and the entire cast. The start was a little slow but overall the film was fantastic and aAnother Nolan masterpiece. I love the Batman films and thankfully the last one didn't disappoint. 10/10. Bale comes back to reprise his role as Batman and as always does a fantastic job. Michael Caine is as brilliant as ever as is Gary Oldman, Ann Hathaway, Tom Hardy who did an awesome job as Bane and the entire cast. The start was a little slow but overall the film was fantastic and a great way to wrap it up, the ending was brilliant. I had always wanted to see an all out war in Gotham were the stakes seemed incredible high, thankfully this film delivered that with some great twists along the way. A strong plot, awesome cast and overall I was extremely impressed. Shame to see it end but least it has gone out on such a high. :) Expand
  22. Jul 21, 2012
    This is how you end a trilogy. Nolan, executes with almost sheer perfection. Are there areas where I felt it could have been done better? Yes. Can I still look past those and enjoy the epic saga as a whole? Definitely. This is not a typical superhero movie, while most people may find the storyline little hard to follow and convoluted, but those who know, loved the comics and theirThis is how you end a trilogy. Nolan, executes with almost sheer perfection. Are there areas where I felt it could have been done better? Yes. Can I still look past those and enjoy the epic saga as a whole? Definitely. This is not a typical superhero movie, while most people may find the storyline little hard to follow and convoluted, but those who know, loved the comics and their characters, can relate where Nolan tried to take this. It is a beautiful movie, and you feel attached to most of the characters and their personalities. Unlike in other superhero movies where everyone tries to be funny with stereotypical one-liners, all gung-ho and win it all at the end of the day, Dark Knight Rises and it predecessors were unique in the sense that it's not only about triumph over evil. It's more than that. It's more about loss, sacrifices, perseverance, consequences and failures that is associated with it.

Nolan, I would like to thank you for the gift that you have given us Batman fans. The gift that we can savor for many many years to come. I wish you'd continue to make more Bat movie because as of now you left most of us hungry for more.
  23. Jul 21, 2012
    another master piece from the mind of nolan 2h 44 minutes of genius excitement at every corner but it has things that the dark doesn't have twists that's the reason why I gave it a grat score not as good on a cinematic level as dark knight but the shocks you get from the film are amazing best film of the year top avengers and prometheus
  24. Jul 21, 2012
    Its worth seeing on the big screen. Christian Bale is without doubt the best Batman and Anne Hathaway plays Cat woman well. The story is good and although it's a long film, you are entertained all the way and there was no "how much longer" butt shuffling. The evil Bain's distorted voice is hard to make out at times but you get the drift. There's a little too much machine gun mowing andIts worth seeing on the big screen. Christian Bale is without doubt the best Batman and Anne Hathaway plays Cat woman well. The story is good and although it's a long film, you are entertained all the way and there was no "how much longer" butt shuffling. The evil Bain's distorted voice is hard to make out at times but you get the drift. There's a little too much machine gun mowing and needless deaths for my liking, but that aside, it's a good film with a well rounded ending. Expand
  25. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark knight rises just stunned me, I have not watched a movie thats as edifying as this one. For off all the acting is top notch by each and every actor especially the cat women. Then the plot was sterling and as good as its predecessor. Christopher Nolan is one of the best Director and has proved that by releasing such a mind blowing trilogy.
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It was nothing like I expected and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how Nolan's Batman movies have evolved and feel so different than the ones before it because you do not get tired of them. The movie is different from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins because it is moreThe Dark Knight Rises is without a doubt one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It was nothing like I expected and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I love how Nolan's Batman movies have evolved and feel so different than the ones before it because you do not get tired of them. The movie is different from The Dark Knight and Batman Begins because it is more grandoise and complex. There are several twists in The Dark Knight Rises that add a level of complexity that the previous two films did not have. That being said, The Dark Knight Rises is not better than The Dark Knight because of its muddled plot and rushed ending sequences.
    The muddled plot comes from the fact that Nolan relies to heavily on the ending sequences to explain earlier events. For some that is good enough, but I expect more from Nolan. Also certain events in the film seem over the top and in some cases there is no explanation for how they came to be. Especially, the French Revolution like court scenes. There are many other examples, but I do not want to spoil the movie. Despite these flaws, The Dark Knight Rises manages to keep you engaged because of the wonderful characters and the outstanding perfomances from the actors. The newcomers, Tom Hardy as Bane, Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle, Joseph Gordon Levit as John Blake, and Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate are all wonderful additions that add compexity to the film and some wicked twists at the end. So overall I think the film is good and worth seeing, but not a masterpiece like The Dark Knight was.
  27. Jul 21, 2012
    From the incredible opening sequence to the jaw-dropping finale, The Dark Knight Rises is incredible. It falters briefly in the beginning, which is mostly dialogue, but it instantly picks up the pace and ends beautifully, giving a very satisfying conclusion to an epic trilogy.
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is another proff, that Nolan brothers are untalented, like Christian Bale as Batman. Horrible idea making Bane main genius enemy. So boring and so awful action. So stupidly written plot. This thing need to be at the deep of rating, but stupid fans forced this film.
  29. Jul 21, 2012
    Not only was it even better than The Dark Knight, it was probably the best movie I have seen in my entire life. The story was gripping and tense, the characters were incredibly well acted (even the much doubted Anne Hathaway did an exceptional depiction of Selina Kyle) and the ending was just the most satisfying feeling after the movie had you on the edge of your seat throughout. The movieNot only was it even better than The Dark Knight, it was probably the best movie I have seen in my entire life. The story was gripping and tense, the characters were incredibly well acted (even the much doubted Anne Hathaway did an exceptional depiction of Selina Kyle) and the ending was just the most satisfying feeling after the movie had you on the edge of your seat throughout. The movie was 160 minutes, yet felt like it flew past with incredible speed.

I'm even going to go as far as to say Bane was an even better villain than Heath Ledger's Joker. He wasn't as well acted, but as a match up to Batman, he provided more of a challenge.

I've read a lot of reviews, and any of the negative ones are rubbish. Clearly done by people who have never paid attention to anything Batman related, apart from the movies and complained about the amount of new characters being introduced. Anyone who actually read Batman comics, watched animated movies and TV series or played the Arkham Asylum/City games will have known the new characters introduced, and the impact meant more to them within the story.
  30. Jul 21, 2012
    Do not let the negative reviews fool you into thinking that this film is a disaster because it isn't! I'm giving this review in an unbiased manner. My highly conservative-fantasy movie-hating dad actually liked it! Trust me that says a lot! My dad hates superhero/sci-fi/fantasy movies. Nolan gives us a bit of everything. He gives us action, drama, romance, and horror. You never know whereDo not let the negative reviews fool you into thinking that this film is a disaster because it isn't! I'm giving this review in an unbiased manner. My highly conservative-fantasy movie-hating dad actually liked it! Trust me that says a lot! My dad hates superhero/sci-fi/fantasy movies. Nolan gives us a bit of everything. He gives us action, drama, romance, and horror. You never know where the movie is going to go next. If you get into it and let yourself be taken over, it will be worth it. Bane and the Joker are 2 different villains. The Joker was more about uncontrolled chaos and anarchy while Bane is more about planned destruction with a purpose. Both villains are great. Batman (Bruce Wayne's) story is exciting. You're going to find yourself actually cheering for him as if you were at a boxing match. Watch me...do yourself this favor, it is all worth it. Expand
  31. Jul 21, 2012
    Great film from start to finish. Fitting ending to a awesome superhero trilogy. All the actors stepped up and really delivered a great performance. Wish it wasn't the last one, but like all things, it must come to an end.
  32. Jul 21, 2012
    Before The Dark Knight released I selfishly found myself worried that a pillar of the franchise, Joker, was gone before we had even discovered him. Before seeing The Dark Knight Rises, I again found myself selfishly wondering what story would have been told if we had not lost Heath Ledger. The Dark Knight Rises is its own movie. TDKR has ties to both previous films, which are meant toBefore The Dark Knight released I selfishly found myself worried that a pillar of the franchise, Joker, was gone before we had even discovered him. Before seeing The Dark Knight Rises, I again found myself selfishly wondering what story would have been told if we had not lost Heath Ledger. The Dark Knight Rises is its own movie. TDKR has ties to both previous films, which are meant to drive much of the plot. The mystique of those ties is given up almost immediately in the interest of defining the current state of Gotham and its characters. Where the Joker was wild, Bane lays his cards out for all to see and because of this, mystique and wonderment has no place. We must simply face the undeniable grasp of Bane Expand
  33. Jul 21, 2012
    Well, it's no Dark Knight.. but it is a superb ending to the best trilogy of our time. This is not a super hero movie, it connects to the audience in such a sense of realism that it would be an insult to call it so. Nolan further enforces that his Batman is just a man trying to do what he can with the time he has, and his own mortality working against him. No movie trilogy since theWell, it's no Dark Knight.. but it is a superb ending to the best trilogy of our time. This is not a super hero movie, it connects to the audience in such a sense of realism that it would be an insult to call it so. Nolan further enforces that his Batman is just a man trying to do what he can with the time he has, and his own mortality working against him. No movie trilogy since the original Star Wars has felt so complete, yet leaves the viewer wanting more. Expand
  34. Jul 21, 2012
    Tom hardy isn't Heath Ledger, but he isn't trying to be. Take TDKR for what it his, the final testament and epic conclusion of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Nolan borrows a fistful of techniques he picked up from his own movie, Inception, and gives the third batman a style and feel of it's very own, and with a more than satisfying ending it wraps everything up yet leaves room for pondering andTom hardy isn't Heath Ledger, but he isn't trying to be. Take TDKR for what it his, the final testament and epic conclusion of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Nolan borrows a fistful of techniques he picked up from his own movie, Inception, and gives the third batman a style and feel of it's very own, and with a more than satisfying ending it wraps everything up yet leaves room for pondering and rewatching. Nolan at his finest. Expand
  35. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning, Review May Contain Spoilers

It's tough to follow up with one of the best (or the best) super hero movie of all time, the Dark Knight. I came into this movie with fair expectations about the movie. This film falls just a tad short of being a great flick.

Bane - - His masked face leaves him almost expressionless
    - enhanced voice make him sounds like Barney's evil twin. Can't understand him half of the time
    - His motives to terrorize was unclear, he portrayed to be a pretty good badass, but then he became irrelevant thanks to the 'twist" toward the end of the movie
    - His death was abrupt and cheap. Nobody cared whether he died or lived at this point.

Catwoman:
    - Anne Hathaway did a great job as Catwoman. seductive, deceptive, and sassy. However, the depiction of Catwoman's character left me disappointed. - In the beginning of the film, she was Catwoman. Towards the end, she acted more like Batgirl. The ending, she's just another chick.
    - I preferred the Catwoman in Tim Burton's Batman Returns. Seductive, sexy, deceptive, teaser, and above all, CRAZY. A type that would drive Batman nuts. Batman:
    - This is Christian's Bale best performance in the trilogy. I empathized with his pain, suffering, passion, and sacrifice. You also see a very vulnerable Batman, not as dominating as the previous two film. This Batman fought with heart. Tim Drake, played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt - did an exceptional job. He was the most personable and developed character in this film. You can see great potential in him as eventually being Batman's sidekick. As an actor, Joseph got a good future
    Story:
    - Slow at first, but became disorganized and jumpy. It feels like a Batman version of Inception. The psychology and philosophy message of this film is not as stimulating as TDK. There are many unnecessary scenes that doesn't help with story line. The ending was great, it toyed with your emotions from excitement, sadness, to happiness. It tried to be deep, but sometimes crosses the line of being cheesy. I feel there was too much going on and it's difficult to keep track of everything. Overall,
    A solid movie. Worth the time and money to check it out. However, don't come in with high expectations being as great or better than TDK. You will be hugely disappointed. Also, drink some coffee or sodas to keep you alert and awake during the slow parts of the movie.
  36. Jul 21, 2012
    This film was what superhero movies should be like. The allegory of Bane as liberalism in America and Batman as conservatism was freaking awesome. It made the film a masterpiece. There is one qualm I have though. Bane's voice sounded like Jonas Venture from the Venture Bros. meets Sean Connery. That was a little cheesy. Otherwise, this was the best film of the year to date.
  37. Jul 21, 2012
    most awesome movie ever........................................................................10/10.
    please do watch it.........................................
  38. Jul 21, 2012
    A masterpiece of a film and hugely enjoyable. It's a fitting end to what is arguably one of the best superhero series. Nolan has consistently delivered dark, thrilling films, with the villains menacing. I personally preferred this over The Dark Knight simply because I felt Heath Ledger as the Joker was overpowering. His performance was amazing no doubt, but it just seemed to overshadow allA masterpiece of a film and hugely enjoyable. It's a fitting end to what is arguably one of the best superhero series. Nolan has consistently delivered dark, thrilling films, with the villains menacing. I personally preferred this over The Dark Knight simply because I felt Heath Ledger as the Joker was overpowering. His performance was amazing no doubt, but it just seemed to overshadow all of the other performances. In here, the film's roles were split almost evenly between Batman and Bane and there was surprising twists - usually such things are predictable but I didn't see them coming. Bane's great too, although I couldn't take him seriously with the way he spoke. It was apparent he wasn't one to mess with when you saw his superhuman strength. An amazing film, well worth a watch. Expand
  39. Jul 21, 2012
    As it stands, it's the weakest Christopher Nolan film that he's ever made. It certainly is the weakest film out of the whole trilogy. After the incredible films that I have witness Nolan make before DNR (Inception, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Memento); I can tell he was not engaged in Dark Knight Rises as the previous two movies and it shows. having watched the trilogy,As it stands, it's the weakest Christopher Nolan film that he's ever made. It certainly is the weakest film out of the whole trilogy. After the incredible films that I have witness Nolan make before DNR (Inception, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Memento); I can tell he was not engaged in Dark Knight Rises as the previous two movies and it shows. having watched the trilogy, the last one was not as seamless or as fluid as his previous efforts. It felt rushed, a few parts took some liberties with story telling, and the third act was didn't do this film justice. Nolan's films on it's own is easily better than 85% of the movies out today. As movie trilogies go, it's easily in the top 5. I'll see Dark Knight Rises again to see if my thoughts change. Expand
  40. Jul 21, 2012
    I think, in my opinion it was the best movie I've ever seen. Incredible finish to an incredible trilogy, it added a layer of sophistication to comic book movies that has never been done before and will hopefully lead to a new generation of comic book movies. Congratulations Christopher & Co. Looking forward to seeing where Syncopy goes from here.
  41. Jul 21, 2012
    awesome film..a lil boring at the start...but picks up pace...and by the end its a classic...the awesome end..the lil twist with who was behind the master plan....christopher nolan i am a huge fan...take a bow sir...yet another classic from u...u have to be the best director/writer around as far as action/mystery genre goes...awesome stuff...if avengers was the best movie this year forawesome film..a lil boring at the start...but picks up pace...and by the end its a classic...the awesome end..the lil twist with who was behind the master plan....christopher nolan i am a huge fan...take a bow sir...yet another classic from u...u have to be the best director/writer around as far as action/mystery genre goes...awesome stuff...if avengers was the best movie this year for you...u have to see this one to make up your mind...awesome stuff!! loved it... Expand
  42. Jul 21, 2012
    I will conform that there will be no full review for The Dark Knight Rises. All I will say is, I have never been emotionally captured be any film that I have ever seen. The Dark Knight Rises was the first to do so. After the credits started rolling down the screen, I was absolutely speechless. I have never been this emotionally attached to a film ever. TDKR is the best film I have ever hadI will conform that there will be no full review for The Dark Knight Rises. All I will say is, I have never been emotionally captured be any film that I have ever seen. The Dark Knight Rises was the first to do so. After the credits started rolling down the screen, I was absolutely speechless. I have never been this emotionally attached to a film ever. TDKR is the best film I have ever had the privilege of viewing. Enormous way to end such an epic trilogy. Expand
  43. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises was an EPIC and i say EPIC once more!! In my opinion what the critics say "EPIC LETDOWN" is utter crap! It was just perfect and much better than i expected! Action sequences were wicked! It wasn't boring for me or my friends who watched. Filled with suspense and a really amazing climax, i would say, there can't be a better finale to the trilogy. Worth every penny! MUST WATCH!
  44. Jul 21, 2012
    EPIC!!! Almost equal to the dark knight. Perfect movie with the best ending i've seen in any movie so far. The best movie of 2012 so far. Tom Hardy stole the show as the Bane.
  45. Jul 21, 2012
    Great movie it is a long movie but it's because they wanted to build the story up the right way and with about 20min left I felt as if I was batman. Go see it. Totally worth the $7
  46. Jul 21, 2012
    I'm having trouble thinking of something better to write about this movie than "I love it," but it's getting really hard. It's ingenious, tight, character-driven and raw. The reason I was so antsy to see it was because of Bane: one of my favorite villains played by one of my favorite actors. And he is a really really scary dude. Comparisons to Darth Vader are completely apt. Tom Hardy doesI'm having trouble thinking of something better to write about this movie than "I love it," but it's getting really hard. It's ingenious, tight, character-driven and raw. The reason I was so antsy to see it was because of Bane: one of my favorite villains played by one of my favorite actors. And he is a really really scary dude. Comparisons to Darth Vader are completely apt. Tom Hardy does so much with voice and body language that the character is endlessly expressive, despite his face being obscured. I love the way he's always resting his fists in his chest. It's also easy to assume that such a big bloke has porridge for brains, so the way he combines that vicious, brutal and graceful physicality with rather genteel hyper-articulation is really jarring. Bane's voice has a playful lilt to it, as though he's adding a little "isn't it obvious?" and "don't you agree?" to everything he says. Expand
  47. Jul 21, 2012
    Enorme película!! Sin duda es un gran cierre a la mejor trilogía jamás echa sobre superhéroes. Personalmente me pareció mejor "the dark knight" por eso mi nota real seria de 9 mejor dicho de 9'5...pero viendo las criticas injustificadas le daré un 10.
  48. Jul 21, 2012
    Loved this movie... If you are a fan of going to the cinema... Then go NOW. This movie encompasses every reason we love movies. The acting was phenomenal and the film had so many original ideas in its story. I'm seeing it again in IMAX tonight an I have a feeling this is one that will get better with multiple viewings.
  49. Jul 21, 2012
    Nolan has crafted a spectacular finale to one of the best trilogies ever. Sure it doesn
  50. Jul 21, 2012
    Best batman movie by far. And for all of the victims I'm so sorry for the families. Ghhhgffffjggggjhfffhhggfgjgggggghhhhghhhhhhhhhhggg gucfzgdrggfddtuhf
  51. Jul 21, 2012
    Okay, I get what they were aiming for...they just missed. Rather than tell a Batman story, the producers and writers told an elaborate and convoluted Death Wish story. The plot was overblown where it didn't need to be. Bane is goofy and inconsistent as a villain and there is no idealogical center to this picture. Considering the end of the film some of the histrionics that take placeOkay, I get what they were aiming for...they just missed. Rather than tell a Batman story, the producers and writers told an elaborate and convoluted Death Wish story. The plot was overblown where it didn't need to be. Bane is goofy and inconsistent as a villain and there is no idealogical center to this picture. Considering the end of the film some of the histrionics that take place (Alfred, I'm talking about you) don't really make any sense. I feel like we've run around in endless circles in this movie just to go a very short distance. The movie just doesn't really get it right. It is still entertaining, it just isn't Batman. Even standing alone, not comparing otto Dark Knight is just isn't that good. Sorry. Expand
  52. Jul 21, 2012
    A truly grand movie. Packed with explosion and thrill. Gripping till the very end, especially the last one hour. Also quite a thriller with twists and turns till the very end.
  53. Jul 21, 2012
    I feel sorry for the unemotional moron's that can't see where this movie is coming from. I sat there in the theater locked to my seat, and when the entire auditorium started getting tears, none of us stopped getting them until the very end. Half of the people I heard coming out of the theater each said they didn't expect this to be an emotional movie, but I don't think anyone questionedI feel sorry for the unemotional moron's that can't see where this movie is coming from. I sat there in the theater locked to my seat, and when the entire auditorium started getting tears, none of us stopped getting them until the very end. Half of the people I heard coming out of the theater each said they didn't expect this to be an emotional movie, but I don't think anyone questioned the power that this third installment had on them. The Dark Knight, no offense to Heath Ledger's memory pales in comparison to this startling epic finale. People with out a heart will complain this movie was too boring, the other half will complain there weren't enough plot points. Those out there with a balance will come away questioning whether or not they'd ever have what it takes to give all of yourself to a cause. The Dark Knight is quite literally a joke in contrast to Rises. While the Joker's "shock scene's" may have gripped your attention for the moment, Rises will keep you questioning yourself for hours after. Special effects are top notch, Bale stops trying too hard, and the supporting cast shows that even a man without a face can be a hero to somebody. We could speculate over which masked character i'm talking about, but i'll leave that for you to decide. Expand
  54. Jul 21, 2012
    i havent given review to any movie but this is an excellent movie Spectacular end to a trilogy.Chris Nolan proved that he is one of the top direct'r.....
  55. Jul 21, 2012
    I watched this film in IMAX and travelled 60miles to go see it, I would do it again any day of the week. I knew this movie was going to be awesome but it just blew my expectations out the water. It is very much a comic book movie meaning people who read the comics will get more out of it. I loved so many parts of it and there where so many twists and turns. No one can and no one will everI watched this film in IMAX and travelled 60miles to go see it, I would do it again any day of the week. I knew this movie was going to be awesome but it just blew my expectations out the water. It is very much a comic book movie meaning people who read the comics will get more out of it. I loved so many parts of it and there where so many twists and turns. No one can and no one will ever top this Batman movie! It was also the first ever movie I have been in where we had a standing round of applause afterwards. EPIC! Expand
  56. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises, the last film in the Christopher Nolan franchise, certainly lives up to the incredibly high standard set by the film's predecessor The Dark Knight. The incredibly detailed story has you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. With outstanding performances from every member of the cast this film is truly the best superhero films ever made.
  57. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises ends in style. A fantastic trilogy to Nolan's highly anticipated movie of the year! At first when I got my ticket, I didn't have a slightest clue of how this would top 2008's The Dark Knight. But now I got my answer, Christopher Nolan is a magician. He is the true Dark Knight Legend, the screenplay/directing/plot was just genius. Bale was at his best while portrayingThe Dark Knight Rises ends in style. A fantastic trilogy to Nolan's highly anticipated movie of the year! At first when I got my ticket, I didn't have a slightest clue of how this would top 2008's The Dark Knight. But now I got my answer, Christopher Nolan is a magician. He is the true Dark Knight Legend, the screenplay/directing/plot was just genius. Bale was at his best while portraying his role, Tom Hardy did a stunning performance as Bane. He tested Batman to his limit. And as for Anne Hathaway, brilliant performance. To be honest, I actually thought she'd screw up the movie. But her performance as cat woman was just spectacular. My rating 10/10 Expand
  58. Jul 21, 2012
    Amazing! Fantastic! A movie you gotta see in the theatures, (preferably in IMAX!!!!) I saw it yesterday afternoon and I still can't get over how good of a film it is! Easily the best film of year. Don't listen to that crack pot, (Roger Ebert.) To give this movie a 75 in his review and to give Prometheus a 100, tells me has lost his way and has become old and lost his ability to be aAmazing! Fantastic! A movie you gotta see in the theatures, (preferably in IMAX!!!!) I saw it yesterday afternoon and I still can't get over how good of a film it is! Easily the best film of year. Don't listen to that crack pot, (Roger Ebert.) To give this movie a 75 in his review and to give Prometheus a 100, tells me has lost his way and has become old and lost his ability to be a movie critic in this genration of films! Expand
  59. Jul 21, 2012
    It's not only the sequel we need, it's the sequel we deserve!

I came out of the cinema having been taken on an emotional rollercoaster. No one can follow that, no reboot can touch Nolans trilogy.

I did not think it possible that I would enjoy a movie more than Avengers this year, I was wrong.
  60. Jul 21, 2012
    TDKR was far too long. It could have been 30 mins shorter. It should have been. The fight scenes flat out sucked. Too close and not enough sound power. Each fight bore me. Bane's voice sounded like a child playing with a voice altering toy on Halloween. Batman had hardly any screen time. His weapons were weak.

Catwoman worked and so did The new character played by Joseph Gordan L.

Catwoman worked and so did The new character played by Joseph Gordan L.

the last 15 mins were what the whole movie should have been like.

Oh and what's the point in naming it Gotham when it looks just like NYC?

I should give it a lower score based on poor story alone, but some parts worked well.
  61. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is one of "THE BEST MOVIE'" I have seen in a very long time..I mean the movie has to be seen to be believed...It's a pure masterpiece in terms of story-telling,action and the depth with which each character is developed....This movie has set a benchmark for future batman and superhero movies to look upto...One of the best conclusions to one of the most criticallyThe Dark Knight Rises is one of "THE BEST MOVIE'" I have seen in a very long time..I mean the movie has to be seen to be believed...It's a pure masterpiece in terms of story-telling,action and the depth with which each character is developed....This movie has set a benchmark for future batman and superhero movies to look upto...One of the best conclusions to one of the most critically acclaimed and successful trilogy of all times....See you at the Oscars!!!! Expand
  62. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing less than a great film. The Dark Knight Rises, in my humble opinion, is the best of the three when it comes to sound and visuals. The first scene was so intense, it had everyone in the theatre I was in silent. Just to point out, when people of all ages, gender, and conflicting social groups get together and stay silent out of sheer mesmerization and awestruck, you should get the hint that movie truly reached its most potent form of entertainment. Now, as many people have written, the Dark Knight Rises falls a little short from its predecessor and it's not because of the villian because Tom Hardy's Bane was actually a character I feared more than Heath Leder's Joker. With all due respect, I found the villain in this movie much more intimidating and just overall better. The thing is, one can't compare apples to oranges and I'm sure Heath Ledger's Joker was supposed to represent something else. But when it comes to villians, I find the ones that are dead serious, and intimidating to be ones that spark the most enjoyment and that's why I easily thought this movie was much better. The reason I rated this a nine was because it stole a lot of the Dark Knight's script. When Bane was interrogated by Batman, it just didn't feel as awesome as the Dark Knight's interrogation scene with the Joker. Christian Bale, I guess, wasn't as efficient as he was in the previous movie. Nolan, however, did a fine job with directing the film and really showing his audience, despite having tons of pressure by Batman fanatics, that he can finish with a bang. And that's exactly what this film accomplishes, a bang. Some of the characters were akward at first and as the film carries on you instantly fall in love with the risks Nolan took. I believe most of the story telling was actually very good as it had many comic book references. Although some parts might disappoint the hardcore Batman fans such as Alfred's wimpy character role in TDKR, and Robin's inception, but for those who wouldn't mind those outtakes the film is really the best that can be done. Anway, kudos to the creators of this masterpiece and it has easily won my vote of the best movie so far this year. Expand
  63. Jul 21, 2012
    A great film which was the culmination of a fantastic trilogy. The first half an hour or so was pretty slow but the pace quickened up towards the end.
  64. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What an amazing film. The film looks amazing, the action is awesome and I really liked how they made Gotham feel alive and huge. I also enjoyed the characters development of Bale and JGL. With Bale recovering from 8 years away from being the Batman and JGL becoming more aware of the wider world and less and less idealistic. I also thought Bane was really well done and explained the mask , and even Catwoman was well done and didnt feel forced and felt like she actually belonged there. Expand
  65. Jul 21, 2012
    This film is amazing. i had goosebumps throughout it was great. Everyone should see this film it has my love of action and romance all roped around a core of batman. loved every second of it and il be rushing out to buy the DVD when it is released. I might even see it again.
  66. Jul 21, 2012
    I understand the people who didn't like it cause the batman didn't come up on the screen soon and there was more Bruce Wayne than Batman but that is what I liked it wasn't like Gotham is in trouble and I'm batman they need me lets go save the people it took its time and made it feel like its been 8 years and its hard for him to go back, the performances were awesome the moments withI understand the people who didn't like it cause the batman didn't come up on the screen soon and there was more Bruce Wayne than Batman but that is what I liked it wasn't like Gotham is in trouble and I'm batman they need me lets go save the people it took its time and made it feel like its been 8 years and its hard for him to go back, the performances were awesome the moments with Alfred were great, Anne Hathaway did a great job and so did everyone else and Tom Hardy did his best with what he could with his mouth covered up.
    A really really good film overall, enjoyed the hell out of it
  67. Jul 21, 2012
    I don't usually review films but felt compelled to with this. I won't say much as it's all pretty much been said but it was the perfect to ending to a perfect trilogy & for me has sealed Nolan's place as one of Hollywood's greats.
  68. Jul 21, 2012
    If you go into this film thinking it will be the greatest film of all time, it will be the greatest film of all time. However if you go into it thinking nothing can beat Dark Knight, then whats the point of watching it? Dark Knight Rises is a Perfect film. Outstanding and immensely gripping, plot turns are mind blowing and acting throughout the trilogy, especially in the last film haveIf you go into this film thinking it will be the greatest film of all time, it will be the greatest film of all time. However if you go into it thinking nothing can beat Dark Knight, then whats the point of watching it? Dark Knight Rises is a Perfect film. Outstanding and immensely gripping, plot turns are mind blowing and acting throughout the trilogy, especially in the last film have been the best in any film made. Thank you Christopher Nolan, you've evoked tears, joy and awe. What a trilogy! Next we wait for Superman Expand
  69. Jul 21, 2012
    I'ev been waiting for 4 yrs for this epic conclusion. And this is worth the wait. Thank Christopher Nolan for his masterpiece. Thank all the casts and crew that made such a great film. Best movie ever !
  70. Jul 21, 2012
    By far the best movie of all time, an absolute blockbuster from start to finish. What a wrap up to this thrilling trilogy. Well done Christopher Nolan!!!!!!
  71. Jul 21, 2012
    A wonderful end to the finest superhero-themed trilogy one has ever seen. Every character is developed fantastically, from the villainous Bane to the ever loyal Alfred, the hardened Commissioner Gordon and finally the Caped Crusader himself. A must see for anyone who wants more than their admission ticket's worth.
  72. Jul 21, 2012
    This movie is perfect to say the least. The scale of this film trumps the Dark Knight, but does that mean its good? YES!!! The Joker is by far one of my favourite movie villains but Bane makes me rethink that. This movie has a really nice plot, great acting, and nice camera work. I really recommend seeing this film in IMAX as that is the definitive experience for those who wan to see thisThis movie is perfect to say the least. The scale of this film trumps the Dark Knight, but does that mean its good? YES!!! The Joker is by far one of my favourite movie villains but Bane makes me rethink that. This movie has a really nice plot, great acting, and nice camera work. I really recommend seeing this film in IMAX as that is the definitive experience for those who wan to see this masterpiece. Expand
  73. Jul 21, 2012
    Overall amazing movie in my opinion. The actors all did wonders with their parts and catwoman was portrayed better than I hoped. I never had trouble with banes voice and in fact found it oddly loud at times but easily understood, the stylized voice was really cool and unique too. The free use of time jumps gave the movie a clunky feel at times and it also seemed a wasted opportunity to notOverall amazing movie in my opinion. The actors all did wonders with their parts and catwoman was portrayed better than I hoped. I never had trouble with banes voice and in fact found it oddly loud at times but easily understood, the stylized voice was really cool and unique too. The free use of time jumps gave the movie a clunky feel at times and it also seemed a wasted opportunity to not explore more deeply the third act. That being said had this exploration happened the movie would have been even longer thus turning more people off since many people already complained about length and boring parts. I feel that had the movie been given a chance to explore a few relationships more and situations more it would have lead to better payoffs but then again I would be ok with a 5 hour movie, which isn't for everyone. Expand
  74. Jul 21, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is unfortunately another not-so-strong end to a great series. It will hang among other threequels such as Back to the Future 3 and Spiderman 3 as disappointing, but not wholly bad. It is a bit unfair to compare to The Dark Knight, which is easily his best film to-date. For positives, the film has great performances from most of its cast like Christian Bale, MichaelThe Dark Knight Rises is unfortunately another not-so-strong end to a great series. It will hang among other threequels such as Back to the Future 3 and Spiderman 3 as disappointing, but not wholly bad. It is a bit unfair to compare to The Dark Knight, which is easily his best film to-date. For positives, the film has great performances from most of its cast like Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and (for the first act) Anne Hathaway. There are a couple great action set-pieces as well as some well-shot action sequences. However, I'm very disappointed with how the story and writing was handled. It feels like Nolan was rushed to get a script out to Warner Bros. without getting a chance to polish it. The story feels unfinished (or at the very least, muddled) and many of the new characters don't get fleshed out enough to develop a personality. Anne Hathaway really grabbed my attention for the first 40 minutes or so, but after that she just wasn't given anything important to do. I, personally, thought Bane's voice was silly-sounding. I can't help it, it sounds like a drive-thru speaker!

I was really surprised to see that there was so much CG effects in this film. Nolan has been so dedicated to keeping it real, something which I loved in the last two movies, what with the miniatures, and the real explosions, and the flipping a truck and the like. This time around, a gigantic amount of computer effects have found their way onto the screen,which bugged me.

There were several scenes that broke my suspension of disbelief (which would go into spoiler territory) and I felt the music was definitely the weakest in the trilogy.

It's a good movie, if not a bit unmemorable, that I had a lot of problems with.
  75. Jul 21, 2012
    TDKR is not only one of the best films of the year, but of the decade, and all time! Each of Nolan's Batman films has brought something new. This one brings pain, it shows the struggles that Bruce Wayne must overcome is he is to rise and become the dark knight once more. The movie doesn't just wow us with amazing stunts (which it will) but it also asks important questions of the audience.TDKR is not only one of the best films of the year, but of the decade, and all time! Each of Nolan's Batman films has brought something new. This one brings pain, it shows the struggles that Bruce Wayne must overcome is he is to rise and become the dark knight once more. The movie doesn't just wow us with amazing stunts (which it will) but it also asks important questions of the audience. It is a slick human drama with amazing action centered around that. It is a little more far fetched than the previous installments but is still firmly planted in the world we live in. With out question this is the most exciting movie of the summer, not one frame of film feels forced or out of place. It is superhero nirvana, and film perfection. Thanks to amazing performances from Bale who is haunting as Wayne, and Joseph Gordon Levitt who steals many of the scenes he's in. You'll not find a better movie in a long while...At least not until Nolan's NEXT film! :-) Expand
  76. Jul 21, 2012
    Excellent film . Superb acting specially by Hathaway and mind blowing music by Hans. there are many twists to keep you engrossed in the movie. though it is quite a bit long you will enjoy every bit of it
  77. Jul 21, 2012
    This movie is the ending this series deserved. It was nearly flawless in every level of its execution, and it played as smoothly as the Dark Knight without question. The acting was not quite on par, but that is easily overlooked in the face of the rest of the elements of the film. Tom Hardy was superb as Bane, albeit he will undoubtedly and unfairly be compared to Heath Ledger'sThis movie is the ending this series deserved. It was nearly flawless in every level of its execution, and it played as smoothly as the Dark Knight without question. The acting was not quite on par, but that is easily overlooked in the face of the rest of the elements of the film. Tom Hardy was superb as Bane, albeit he will undoubtedly and unfairly be compared to Heath Ledger's untouchable Joker performance. Every other new addition did a wonderful job, and each was marvelously cast. Anne Hathaway brought a life to the Selina Kyle character that has not been seen in a Batman film to date. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is top-notch, as usual, as young cop John Blake. Gary Oldman is near his very best as Gordon in a role that finds him acting a little outside what has become normal for his character. The action scenes and fight scenes are off the charts amazing, and the plot will absorb you from the opening sequence. The only thing I was not thrilled with was a few scenes where Nolan decided that life-or-death was to be put on hold for less important endeavors. There are some slow parts, but they play slow in a Nolanesque way, so they are still very watchable. The final scenes of the movie are unbelievable and will take your breath away. Plot twists, as they are, will blow your mind and you will wonder, as did I, how Chris Nolan could feel that giving his series a finale after three movies was the best option. If anyone should keep directing Batman films, it is this man. Expand
  78. Jul 21, 2012
    Just saw this movie and it is the best superhero movie ever made, The Avengers is childs play compared to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  79. Jul 20, 2012
    I have Watched this Movie Twice on the day of its Release that too Back to Back Shows...... After Watching this Amazing Film,I can Say Only Five Words...... Fantastic,Marvelous,Great,Epic,Awesome.....
    Christian Bale has given Best Performance As Bruce Wayne/Batman as Usual. Bane was Horrible in the film.Gary Oldman,Morgan Freeman were Nice While Anne Hathaway did a great Job... All The Credit goes to the Director Legend Christopher Nolan....Batman Entry was too good.Effects and Music were Great... Not One Everything is Perfect....It has Sensational Climax with an Epic Ending.... I Want to See it again.... Dont Miss This Movie Guys....... The Dark Knight Rises Rocks........
  80. Jul 20, 2012
    I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short on nearly every level. The dull, lifeless performances were equally matched by an unimaginative and lengthy script. This movie could have easily beenI can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short on nearly every level. The dull, lifeless performances were equally matched by an unimaginative and lengthy script. This movie could have easily been scripted to have a fourth, or even fifth, instalment. At least then we could have been saved the horrible editing and cinematography that forced it into a single film, thus making it feel like nothing more than a two and a half hour trailer (the background music also NEVER stopped). And once again we see a great comic book villain who's story and purpose isn't truly told on the big screen, and Bane's is deep, he almost deserves his own movie. So much like Spider-Man 3, they tried to do too much with too little and it really shows. With the exception of it's actors, this final chapter appears to share absolutely none of what made the other two great. Expand
  81. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is centered around pain, and you can definitely feel it in this! Chris Nolan has done his job to perfection for his trilogy! TDKR ties more into Batman Begins than The Dark Knight and gets all the loose ends sewn up. It takes the elements of Begins and the lie in Dark Knight to make one helluva a trilogy finale. As a Batman and Chris Nolan fan, I think TDKR is theThe Dark Knight Rises is centered around pain, and you can definitely feel it in this! Chris Nolan has done his job to perfection for his trilogy! TDKR ties more into Batman Begins than The Dark Knight and gets all the loose ends sewn up. It takes the elements of Begins and the lie in Dark Knight to make one helluva a trilogy finale. As a Batman and Chris Nolan fan, I think TDKR is the best of the three and possibly Nolan's best, but I can understand if anyone chooses any three as the best. This film has the action, destruction to feed those fans while also having the most emotion for a Nolan film. Nolan really does make you get sucked into the characters he has built over 3 movies. Tom Hardy's performance as Bane really does the character justice with eyes of different emotion and the physicality he brings on screen. Anne Hathaway has to be the breakthrough performance as Selina Kyle, because she brings sexiness, strength, and class to her character. Christian Bale becomes Batman for the last time and delivers his best performance as the character in the trilogy. Wally Pfister's cinematography is top notch and Oscar worthy for this movie of such grand scale. Chris Nolan should at least get his nomination for director for the Oscars this year but who knows. I won't give anything away, but the ending was a great way to end Bruce's story. As a trilogy I think it is right up their with some of the best, and it really is one whole story. The trilogy does circle around if Bruce can become the ideal to become the legend that Ra's al Ghul says in the first film. This truly is the greatest superhero/comic book trilogy/film. Expand
  82. Jul 20, 2012
    I do NOT like the 100% or out of ten scores... but I need to anyways. I give this a 9 because it was a terrific film just like the prev two but with some flaws. It was rushed in the first hour, probs cus the original cut is too long for a theatrical release. I'm now excited to get the blu ray version...

I say check this movie out because it's a great movie on its own. The narrative is the best one in the series since BB. All the actors were great in it (especially Hathaway, Bale, and Caine), the filmmaking was fantastic (glorious in IMAX. Cinematography is easily the best in years. Nolan's vision and scope is well put on screen. Very epic) and the script was well written (although it has some plot holes)

I do not understand the 70 ish score from the critics. I love Ebert and I was put down by his score, it did not match with his review at all. What the critics and Nolan haters are doing is nit picking, extreme nit picking at that. Nolan concludes this trilogy in honorable fashion and I loved it. My favorite Batman movie, although TDK is a better film. The trilogy is just an engrossing epic itself... I love how the three films are all completely different in tone and style.

BUT the movie can make the audience feel uncomfortable, it's almost 3 hours long and it's very much like a war drama and epic. I do not think people like disturbing and unfamiliar epics so that's probably a big factor to why so many critics did not like it. Bane is also a different villain, he is the embodiment of terrorism and revolutionaries. He's very menacing with his eyes and body movement but many ppl will probably dislike him because he isn't as memorable as Ledger's and Nolan's Joker.

This movie is VERY unique guys, and I really mean unique. It's not even a popcorn flick anymore, it srsly is a war epic with very unfamiliar and confusing style. I love these kind of films but most people do not. PS there isn't a lot of Batman in this movie, which I think is a positive, then again ppl want more Batman...

So to conclude this messy review (lol) I admire Nolan for really making an unique film and truly making a TRUE TO THE CORE Batman movie. It felt like Returns, Knightfall, and Dark Victory. I truly love Nolan for making it so different and unexpected, that even critics had a hard time watching this! I truly admire Nolan. He is a genius of a kind. He will be remembered for this trilogy and TDK trilogy has the biggest impact on me as trilogies and series go.

So don't go in expecting Avengers. This is a true and real movie, in time people will see this as a classic

PPS (jesus, I need to organise my writing!) Now I can't see Mr Ebert the same way as before... he gave Spidey 3.5/4, Avengers 3/4 and TDKR 3/4.... how is TDKR in the same league as the first two :( I liked them all but c'mmon man... I am a huge fan of Ebert but he just ruined it now. His review... and that score.. They both don't match! Now, as I said I hate the 10/10 or 100% type of scoring so I'll give a more accurate score: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

(btw that's ★★★★1/2 couldn't find any half stars so that's its
  83. Jul 20, 2012
    A masterful work which will have you experience every emotion under the sun. While it is not "The Dark Knight" few films can hope to be. This film holds up though and should be considered one of the top films of this century.
  84. Jul 20, 2012
    Fantastic, truly a spectacular movie. The acting is great, the storyline epic, and it ends on a truly satisfying note. God bless Christopher Nolan for one of my favorite trilogies of all time.
  85. Jul 20, 2012
    First, for the full review, including *hidden spoilers* go to this website- http://www.ign.com/blogs/bulltoad/?p=1454

THIS REVIEW IS FREE OF SPOILERS, BUT DOES REFERENCE THE LATTER PART OF THE BLOG IN WHICH PLOT IS DISCUSSED.

Let
  86. Jul 20, 2012
    The film is made on epic scale. No doubt about it but it has been letdown by am amateurish editing and pacing. The plot is conjugated and I guess it was supposed to be a superrhero movie. It is definitely the weakest movie of Nolans career along with Prestige. Having said that, its not a bad movie. Its a good movie but Nolan had set up high level expectations afterr giving us movies likeThe film is made on epic scale. No doubt about it but it has been letdown by am amateurish editing and pacing. The plot is conjugated and I guess it was supposed to be a superrhero movie. It is definitely the weakest movie of Nolans career along with Prestige. Having said that, its not a bad movie. Its a good movie but Nolan had set up high level expectations afterr giving us movies like Insomnia. Memento, Innception and Dark knight. The length was also the culprit and what the hell Bane was trying to say?????? Expand
  87. Jul 20, 2012
    Same old same old. Could have been a 90 minute movie. Wouldn't matter anyway, If you are looking for any surprises, you wont find them here. Big disappointment. Glad this Trilogy is over for good.
  88. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that perfectly balances "Tragedy to Triumph" . I am not the biggest Batman fan as i watched The Dark Knight for the first time last year, and Batman Begins the first time the morning before watching TDKR. Ultimately to me The Dark Knight was Overrated, it was good but Begins was better to me. Now TDKR is the best one to me. Christian Bale as Batman wasThe Dark Knight Rises is a movie that perfectly balances "Tragedy to Triumph" . I am not the biggest Batman fan as i watched The Dark Knight for the first time last year, and Batman Begins the first time the morning before watching TDKR. Ultimately to me The Dark Knight was Overrated, it was good but Begins was better to me. Now TDKR is the best one to me. Christian Bale as Batman was Spot On Perfect in this movie. Anne Hathaway stole the show as Catwoman. Tom Hardy did a good job with Bane but was lacking in some areas (at times you couldn't understand him). Yes this movie has flaws as i found it to be quite humorless, but exchange for that was "Epicness" as i was at the edge of my seat numeorous times. In comparison to The Avengers...i like Avengers better for the fact that there is much more humor and action going on throughout the movie. But nonetheless the movie ends the Trilogy on a soaring high note, giving the Viewers clarity on the fate/future of Gotham City and Bruce Wayne himself. If your a super hero fan....you just simply NEED to see this movie. Expand
  89. Jul 20, 2012
    Solid, fitting ending to an excellent trilogy. Strong themes ring as true as ever. Great performances all around. Bane can't quite match up to the Joker, but acknowledging that going in, is your best bet to better enjoy the movie. Whereas Joker allowed for great dialogue, Bane at least offers some solid fight sequences.
  90. Jul 20, 2012
    Definitely, this movie has a 9.6, Nolan did what no one else was able to did before, to make the perfect trilogy, everyone has failed with the third movie, even Francis Ford Coppola failed with The Godfather III, but Nolan gave us a surprise,The Dark Knight Rises was the epic final, for the epic trilogy, as I said before, he did what no one else was able to do before, make the third movieDefinitely, this movie has a 9.6, Nolan did what no one else was able to did before, to make the perfect trilogy, everyone has failed with the third movie, even Francis Ford Coppola failed with The Godfather III, but Nolan gave us a surprise,The Dark Knight Rises was the epic final, for the epic trilogy, as I said before, he did what no one else was able to do before, make the third movie better than the second, Batman Begins was really good, Batman The Dark Knight was better, but The Dark Knight Rises is even better, in so many ways, it is impossible to dislike this movie, if someone says that he or she doesn't like this movie, is lying, and is a hater, because it is impossible, this movie is epic, the end was just amazing, I almost had a heart attack, this final movie had everything, it touched my emotions to the very end, I just have to say that Nolan did an amazing work, and sorry to say this Francis Ford Coppola, but my new favorite trilogy is now directed by Nolan. Expand
  91. Jul 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The conclusion to this cultural phenomenon of a series did not leave me disappointed in the slightest. Being a big movie fan, as well as having a pretty thorough knowledge of the history of the comic, I was very pleased with how Christopher Nolan handled the final installment of his trilogy. The story is great, the acting is great from every member of the main ensemble (Bale, Hardy, Hatheway, Caine, Oldman, Cotillard, Gordon-Levitt and Freeman all do excellent jobs) and the presentation is stunning as well. To ask this film to live up to the magnitude of it's predecessor is incredibly unfair and while it isn't a greater showing than thee last one it's still a high quality blockbuster, and very fitting conclusion to the series. Bane is, in my opinion, about the perfect villian to follow up The Joker and while I was skeptical initially, the inclusion of Selina Kyle definitely adds to the film. Again, I think the film was excellent. The characters, plot, visuals, and score were all fantastic and the film did I good job tying the evolution of Bruce Wayne throughout the films together. I do not want to (and won't) give much away but the only qualms I had with this movie were that, first,as others have said, the storytelling was a little messy until about half way through ( i might even say rushed even though half way is about 80 minutes in). Secondly, the relationship between Bruce Wayne and Miranda Tate develops suddenly without much foundation. Lastly and least importantly, I had trouble understanding Bane a couple times but this is really rather minimal as it only happened with two or three lines and I was still able to make out what he said. All in all I really enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it to anyone who likes movies or is even a lukewarm fan of the series. Expand
  92. Jul 20, 2012
    Dark Knight Rises was EPIC ! this is how you wrap up a trilogy. The film was intense and kept you invested all the way through.the character were well developed, believable and very well acted. The visual effects were stunning and complimented well by Zimmers rousing score. An almost 3 hour movie has never gone by so quickly for me and if there is a longer directors cut im buyingDark Knight Rises was EPIC ! this is how you wrap up a trilogy. The film was intense and kept you invested all the way through.the character were well developed, believable and very well acted. The visual effects were stunning and complimented well by Zimmers rousing score. An almost 3 hour movie has never gone by so quickly for me and if there is a longer directors cut im buying it day one. The Superman teaser looked cool too. I guess Nolan is just gonna revamp the entire DC universe which would be amazing. Expand
  93. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark knight Rises was a great movie and the direction was awesome in some of the scenes. The most interesting character in the movie was Bane. His voice was too good to say. This movie cannot be compared to any other movies which are released in this season. Though the movie was a little of confusion at the beginning, Christopher Nolan did a great work and the movie comes to an epicThe Dark knight Rises was a great movie and the direction was awesome in some of the scenes. The most interesting character in the movie was Bane. His voice was too good to say. This movie cannot be compared to any other movies which are released in this season. Though the movie was a little of confusion at the beginning, Christopher Nolan did a great work and the movie comes to an epic conclusion in the end. I cannot say and Spoil the movie. But Its a movie definitely to be watched in the Big Screens. Thank you Nolan for another Epic movie Expand
  94. Jul 20, 2012
    This film is extraordinary, if flawed. Much, much, much better than Dark Knight. The casting, story, direction, pacing and effects are the best of the trilogy. As someone who thought Batman Begins was the best superhero film yet made at the time of its release, but found The Dark Knight to be strangely boring and clunky, The Dark Knight Rises really surprised me with its energy and power.This film is extraordinary, if flawed. Much, much, much better than Dark Knight. The casting, story, direction, pacing and effects are the best of the trilogy. As someone who thought Batman Begins was the best superhero film yet made at the time of its release, but found The Dark Knight to be strangely boring and clunky, The Dark Knight Rises really surprised me with its energy and power. Christian Bale's performance in particular was masterful. I love Christopher Nolan's work but he makes frustrating choices, mostly having to do with dialogue being understandable. He blankets his films with wall-to-wall score that is mixed so prominently it often drowns out whole lines of dialogue. He also hires foreign actors with very thick accents, which can also occasionally come across exactly like what it is: an actor reciting words beyond their own English ability. In The Dark Knight Rises we almost escaped this factor because Marion Cotillard has the rare ability to speak with a thick accent and yet sound completely intelligible. But the fact is you simply can't hear or understand at least a third of Bane's lines. And since he's the antagonist, this is a maddening problem. And even when you can hear it, it's still distracting because it sounds overdubbed on top of the movie in post. Kind of like Optimus Prime in Transformers. If they mixed the score lower and found a way to make Bane's lines both intelligible and realistic in an acoustic sense this would be an untouchable masterpiece. Expand
  95. Jul 20, 2012
    i would honestly admit this movie isnt entertaining as the dark knight. but it is the perfect ending for the whole trilogy. It basically sums up the whole trilogy. The movie is sheer calibre. As usual the cast were excellent combined with a good storyline. I was a bit disappointed at the fact the character John Blake had so much screen time because this is a movie of batman and brucei would honestly admit this movie isnt entertaining as the dark knight. but it is the perfect ending for the whole trilogy. It basically sums up the whole trilogy. The movie is sheer calibre. As usual the cast were excellent combined with a good storyline. I was a bit disappointed at the fact the character John Blake had so much screen time because this is a movie of batman and bruce wayne. i believe they should showed more of batman n bruce wayne. anne hathaway did an interesting take on catwoman. really good. same as the brute, bane. honestly i think no director could have directed this movie and top this. people will look back n realise this whole trilogy as a benchmark besides the obvious lord of the rings but the thing is lord of the rings is already scripted, all they do is follow the book so its not fair to compare. Anyway,the movie never cease to amaze. i dont like blockbuster movies but this is fantastic. really gutted to see the trilogy of my favourite superhero ends. and for those people comparing this to avengers......c'mon thats child play compared to this. its emotionally engaging, has a human touch and story in it and its filled with action. what else do you need? Expand
  96. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is an opus of a much different flavor than the previous installments in The Dark Knight Trilogy. Uniting the atmospheric tone of Begins and the noir, crime saga execution of TDK, Rises sets forth to entertain the audience while developing Bruce Wayne's story into an arc of considerable emotional progression, and ultimately delivers one of the best endings to a trilogyThe Dark Knight Rises is an opus of a much different flavor than the previous installments in The Dark Knight Trilogy. Uniting the atmospheric tone of Begins and the noir, crime saga execution of TDK, Rises sets forth to entertain the audience while developing Bruce Wayne's story into an arc of considerable emotional progression, and ultimately delivers one of the best endings to a trilogy in cinema history. The focus in this outing is on Bruce Wayne. The Dark Knight was a Batman movie in every sense, where as The Dark Knight Rises can be accurately described as a Bruce Wayne story. The man behind the mask coming out of retirement to face villains the likes of which he has never experienced. Bruce's personal life and trials as a newly motivated Batman coalesce into obstacles that bring out the most human sides of him. Anger, stubbornness, hope and raw determination seep out of the character, and belie the ambiguity behind the symbol of the Batman. When Bruce is wearing the mask, it feels like Bruce Wayne wearing a mask. Doing a job. A civic duty that serves as the only thing he knows will give him purpose. Batman becomes a human being, and yet the symbol grows stronger because of it. I'll stop here to avoid spoiling anything.

As far as the surrounding cast goes: Bane is the most dangerous villain in the trilogy. He's an absolute menace. He's shameless, efficient, brave and extremely good at wrecking things. His presence is electrifying. Alfred is dishing out his usual wisdom, but we see a side of him we haven't seen yet and it's beautiful. John Blake is too easy to root for. A pure hearted, inspired cop who earns his stripes in more ways than one. Gordon is a relentless warrior who shows a good old fashioned hands dirty approach to everything. A man out of place in this new Gotham, who's old style becomes necessary to bring it back from the brink, and Catwoman is a dazzling, sexy, antihero whose character development is as smooth as Bruce Wayne's. She's an absolute tour de force in this film, and one of the best characters in Nolan's Batman Universe.

This review means only to set up the expectations of tone for The Dark Knight Rises, and to excite viewers who are looking forward to seeing it. It's a masterpiece. Arguably the best Batman film ever made, and a beautiful ending to a trilogy that has set a new standard in cinema.
  97. Jul 20, 2012
    A great movie mainly because Bane is the most charismatic and convincingly threatening bad guy i can remember. There's less moral complexity than "The Dark Knight' and even 'Batman begins' but it's better paced than the former and, for me at least, more emotionally involving than the either film. You empathise here more with Batman because Bane is a constant, enormous, threat, whereas theA great movie mainly because Bane is the most charismatic and convincingly threatening bad guy i can remember. There's less moral complexity than "The Dark Knight' and even 'Batman begins' but it's better paced than the former and, for me at least, more emotionally involving than the either film. You empathise here more with Batman because Bane is a constant, enormous, threat, whereas the Joker was so random and chaotic and uninterested in Batman himself. Tension here builds up gradually towards one on one confrontation . Where confronting the Joker was like a snake in the grass, with Bane it's more like facing a lion on his turf. i enjoyed it more than either of the first two films, though i doubt that it will stand up as well to re-watch as the story is more straight-forward and, as i said, less morally complex Expand
  98. Jul 20, 2012
    one of the best movie ever,without comparing with the prequel it is one of the batman movie ever,good story,better acting and best direction with screenplay,just go and watch it,for me 10/10........
  99. Jul 20, 2012
    Honestly, this is the most epic movie EVER. I enjoyed every minute of it. Tom Hardy had an OUTSTANDING performance as Bane, and Bale delivers his best performance yet as Bruce Wayne. The moment when Bane's plan takes effect (vague to avoid spoilers) is just mind-boggling. All the characters are very deep and I genuinely felt connected to them. The effects and soundtrack are also bothHonestly, this is the most epic movie EVER. I enjoyed every minute of it. Tom Hardy had an OUTSTANDING performance as Bane, and Bale delivers his best performance yet as Bruce Wayne. The moment when Bane's plan takes effect (vague to avoid spoilers) is just mind-boggling. All the characters are very deep and I genuinely felt connected to them. The effects and soundtrack are also both amazing. The movie sets itself up for a sequel at the end very nicley, and the end made me want to get up out of my seat and cheer. Overall, great movie, and Nolan's masterpiece in my opinion. 10/10 Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.