8.4

1. Jul 22, 2012
    It's not a bad movie, not by any stretch of the imagination. It's certainly superior to Prometheus. However it lacks any impact. There are no memorable performances, ideas, moments, scenes or effects- good or bad. I didn't walk out angry but I was certainly disappointed.
    Bane was horribly realized. I'm sure the mask was a severe burden on Hardy's acting but I never connected with Bane the same way I did with the Joker, or even Ras. And given that he is probably my favourite Batman villain, that was a severe disappointment too. The voice is also frankly atrocious. It sounds like a stereotypical old man but through a Darth Vader filter. Half of his lines were unintelligible and the rest had any menace robbed from them thanks to the ridiculous tambre. The more we learn about him, the less sense he can his motivations make. Apart from that, the rest of the movie was just... just there. Anne Hathway made a pretty decent Femme Fatale, but the role never really evolved beyond that. I think there were just too many characters and development was spread too thin. I never got emotionally invested in any of the characters, and consequently the action and drama just didn't carry much weight.
    Speaking of spreading too thin, for a Batman film we see very little of Batman, and only marginally more of Bruce. He spends the entire first act hobbling around and then after two or so action scenes he spend most of the second act wallowing in a cell while what can only be described as 'Stuff' happens.
    The take home message of the film is shocking. Apart from pissing all over the 'people are essentially good' message of the second film, it also seems to be giving a great big middle finger to the idea of socialism and the Occupy movement. There's also a big thumbs up for authoritarianism. Did Frank Miller write this? Not to mention another subtext which seems to infer you should be grateful if you grow up in poverty or hardship as it will give you strength.
    All in all it's a deeply flawed film in its conception and execution. It's crime isn't so much that it does things badly (not to say that it doesn't do things badly), but that it doesn't really do anything well. It's the epitome of 'meh', neither good nor bad, but with some shoddy characterization and ideas. A plain cheese sandwich made with slightly stale bread.
    I think Nolan was too focused on referencing and drawing from comic source material and desperately trying to create a historical parallel, and not paying enough intention to just making a good film off his own talents. All in all, it's a big step back from The Dark Knight, and an unworthy ending. It's worth a look simply for closure, but probably as a rental.
  2. Aug 20, 2012
    Doesn't come close to the previous Batman. In fact its not a Batman period. They throw in the music of the first batman and some nice directing but that not a movie. If you want to enjoy this 'movie' go buy the soundtrack its about all there is to enjoy in it. The acting is good but because all the characters are recycled and pointless compared to the previous you can't say there is anyDoesn't come close to the previous Batman. In fact its not a Batman period. They throw in the music of the first batman and some nice directing but that not a movie. If you want to enjoy this 'movie' go buy the soundtrack its about all there is to enjoy in it. The acting is good but because all the characters are recycled and pointless compared to the previous you can't say there is any real reason to wasting a persons time nor money on seeing the pile of **** endo! They didn't like my ip address because i gave it a rating of zero. Expand
  3. Jul 21, 2012
    Great movie it is a long movie but it's because they wanted to build the story up the right way and with about 20min left I felt as if I was batman. Go see it. Totally worth the $7
  4. Jul 20, 2012
    I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short on nearly every level. The dull, lifeless performances were equally matched by an unimaginative and lengthy script. This movie could have easily beenI can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with such an anticipated film. As a fan of the "comic book" genre and believing that the first two films in this series were nothing short of perfection, this movie fell way short on nearly every level. The dull, lifeless performances were equally matched by an unimaginative and lengthy script. This movie could have easily been scripted to have a fourth, or even fifth, instalment. At least then we could have been saved the horrible editing and cinematography that forced it into a single film, thus making it feel like nothing more than a two and a half hour trailer (the background music also NEVER stopped). And once again we see a great comic book villain who's story and purpose isn't truly told on the big screen, and Bane's is deep, he almost deserves his own movie. So much like Spider-Man 3, they tried to do too much with too little and it really shows. With the exception of it's actors, this final chapter appears to share absolutely none of what made the other two great. Expand
  5. Jul 26, 2012
    Wow, I really wasn't expecting this. After all the hype, after knowing it was going to be the last batman movie made by Nolan, the movie just couldnt deliver, at all. And srsly I wanted to like it, I really tried, but after some horrible scenes and dialogues I couldn't lie to myself anymore.

I can't understand how this movie is getting such high reviews and by so many people... It makes no sense. The movie was a plotless mess with too much wasted budget. They didn't know what to do with so much money and decided to make up a load of random crap to fill in.

From beginning to end, there was nothing to like. The annoying conversations with Alfred, the horrible plot twists, the useless police march at the end (why not just drop a bomb in the middle of it?), the everlasting Morgan Freeman (always the same role and acting), Anne Hathaway (horrible choice for catwoman), the lame speech at the stadium, the over the top loud music, but above everything, the was no plot or story.

It worries me that so many people are loving it. This proves that anyone can produce a successful movie as long as there is huge hype, budget and fanboyism around it. People are going to love it either way.

Im not at all a hater, in fact I loved the second movie and TDKR was not even remotely close to it. I dont want to insult the people who liked this movie, but this was a very dumb movie, with too many plot holes ( e.g. Bruce leg problem magically healed in jail?) to mention all of them.

The good parts? I guess the explosion of the football stadium was cool. I walked out pissed and confused about why so few people disliked it.
  6. Jul 21, 2012
    Loved this movie... If you are a fan of going to the cinema... Then go NOW. This movie encompasses every reason we love movies. The acting was phenomenal and the film had so many original ideas in its story. I'm seeing it again in IMAX tonight an I have a feeling this is one that will get better with multiple viewings.
  7. Aug 6, 2012
    The dark Night rises was not worth the watch the lighting of my wallet was considerably noticeable after this film. Bruce Wayne does not lose cartilage, he doesn't allow a maid to rob him blind unnoticed and he certainly doesn't get thrown in a hole. Poor movie expected more the fact that there was only one point in the movie that actually caught me off guard means the dark night risesThe dark Night rises was not worth the watch the lighting of my wallet was considerably noticeable after this film. Bruce Wayne does not lose cartilage, he doesn't allow a maid to rob him blind unnoticed and he certainly doesn't get thrown in a hole. Poor movie expected more the fact that there was only one point in the movie that actually caught me off guard means the dark night rises should have stayed in bed. Expected more. Expand
  8. Sep 4, 2012
    Firstly, this movie is not as good as the last one. Fair enough. But it is also less inline with the Batman univerce. Bane is nerfed, Talia is weird, catwoman is.. to say the least.. less atractive than she should be. (What happened to flirting on rooftops and such? Now she's just some cat burglerer with lame lines?!) In my oppinion, this movie tried to hard to be a reimagining of 'TheFirstly, this movie is not as good as the last one. Fair enough. But it is also less inline with the Batman univerce. Bane is nerfed, Talia is weird, catwoman is.. to say the least.. less atractive than she should be. (What happened to flirting on rooftops and such? Now she's just some cat burglerer with lame lines?!) In my oppinion, this movie tried to hard to be a reimagining of 'The Dark Knight Returns' (Comic) mashed with the beginings of Batman Beyond, instead of completing Nolans trilogy. As a movie, it was ok, as a Batman movie, it steps too far out of the Batman univerce for me, a bat fan, to enjoy and accept. Like I said, it is a good movie, and has a lot to offer, I am just dissapointed that Nolan deviated so far from Batmans actual time line etc. Also, I felt that bane was a poor choice of villan for Nolan, because he is not meant to be 'realistic'. Nolan likes to pick and choose what can and cant be realistic. Batman can have a hovercraft, but bane cant have Venom?! He should have picked the Riddler, or maybe Mad Hatter or FireFly instead. Watch the movie, if you started liking Batman after Batman Begins, you will probably like it. But if you are an old fan, you might just be let down. Expand
  9. Jan 11, 2013
    The dark night rises is the worst movie it is so random that lady is bad and bane talks funny avengers is way better and the this Batman was a mistake shame Christopher Nolan.
  10. Aug 24, 2013
    Really movie. The first movie from Nolan's trilogy was still comparable to brilliant Tim Burton's films. The second one was worse, but it had charismatic Joker in it. The third one has nothing to make it interesting. When i downloaded it, i expected to see a superhero movie, not a boring soap opera about a whiny girl in a cloak. Throughout the whole film Batman sucks. He did nothingReally movie. The first movie from Nolan's trilogy was still comparable to brilliant Tim Burton's films. The second one was worse, but it had charismatic Joker in it. The third one has nothing to make it interesting. When i downloaded it, i expected to see a superhero movie, not a boring soap opera about a whiny girl in a cloak. Throughout the whole film Batman sucks. He did nothing useful or superheroic (he even lost the final battle to Bane, lol). Some people say that it's realistic portrait of superhero and it adds drama to a story, BUT WHO THE F*** NEEDS DRAMA IN THE MOVIE ABOUT THE GUY IN A SUIT WITH STICKING BAT EARS WHO IS BEATING A BUNCH OF PSYCHOPATHIC CRIMINALS? Besides, Nolan is bad at making dramatic moments, and they look terrible. Ok, it's fine, you showed me that it's hard to be a superhero and that Bruce is a man too. Can we now proceed to action? No?.. There are only a few fight scenes in the whole movie, and Batman loses most of them? Well, that's just great. Also, I honestly don't understand why someone thought that redesigned Bane would be more interesting than the original one from the comic series. He became just a usual bull with a funny mask. However, he still manages to be smarter than Batman, because in Nolan's interpretation he's just a moron. Like in that scene where he danced with the best pickpocket in Gotham and then was like: "Hey, she stole my Ferrari! Wow, I REALLY DIDN'T EXPECT IT!" (btw, that's why Burton's Batman was awesome: he would just trick Selina). And here comes the plot, which is really strange and stupid. It's not much stranger than the secret order of Shaolin monks from "Batman: Begins", which kinda doesn't suit the pseudo-realistic style of Nolan. However, the order of Shaolin monks was awesome and was way more entertaining and realistic than the underground prison somewhere in Middle East. Also, the plot twist with Wayne's bankruptcy is freaking ridiculous and dumb. A pack of armed criminals attacks bank, hacks it's network and runs away, and the operations made by them can't be denied? Yeah, that's realistic and dramatic. It's also funny how Bruce suddenly looses everything he had, like all of his money were stored in his company and he didn't make any caches. Finally, the film contains strong anti-revolutionary message, which is late for about 30 years, and some weird scenes like "WE FIGHT FOR AMERICA!!!"... Meh, pathetic. Expand
  11. Jul 24, 2012
    I had a much longer review, but metacritic wouldn't let me post it so I'll sum it up.

It has its moments, and the first half is better than the second half, but it is a mess and may very well be the weakest of the Trilogy.
  12. Jul 28, 2012
    Ultimately the problem with the movie is the plot makes no sense at all. As I'm endeavoring to not give away anything, so I'm going to be intentionally vague. There is no logical explanation for the actions of the villains in this movie. Nothing to justify why they are doing what they are doing, and even if you work past that and accept that they just are, what they end up doing doesn'tUltimately the problem with the movie is the plot makes no sense at all. As I'm endeavoring to not give away anything, so I'm going to be intentionally vague. There is no logical explanation for the actions of the villains in this movie. Nothing to justify why they are doing what they are doing, and even if you work past that and accept that they just are, what they end up doing doesn't even make sense in the context of their stated goals. Unlike the insane, but methodical plans of the Joker in the second movie, the bad guys in this are just plain insane, and yet they play it far more straight-faced than the aforementioned previous antagonist did.
    The next problem is the action. The whole "comic book movie" excuse that gets banded around so often can really only make up for so much. The core of the issue is that in Nolan's Batman universe, bullets seem to be more precious than diamonds. For some reason this did not feel quite as obvious in the previous two installments as it did in this one. Every action scene has mooks running up to Batman or other characters with guns in their hands to be easily disarmed. The frequency with which this happens in staggering. Barely anyone ever fires their guns throughout the movie and when they do, they make Stormtroopers look accurate. This culminates in a massive all out battle in which literally thousands of people suddenly forget the deadly projectile launching devices more or less all of them are holding and start laying into each other with whatever is available on hand. The sheer absurdity of the scene makes it impossible to ignore the issue even if you'd intentionally not payed attention everyone running up to martial arts specialists to be easily disarmed up to that point. All of this casts an absurd, practically silly light on the action that really detracts from the movies tone.
    Next problem: Exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition, exposition...you can see where I'm going with this. A character enters a plot important room and they start spouting exposition about it to people who quite obviously and unmistakable already have this knowledge beforehand, and nobody questions why they are being told something they already know. The sheer volume of exposition in this movie pushes the already ridiculous runtime past the point of tolerance.
    Honestly, I feel tired of this movie. I felt tired of it by the time it finally ended on it's awful cop-out ending, I felt tired thinking of all the things that really did not work in it, and I feel tired listing them here. I'm sorry, it just really isn't a good movie on almost any level, which is a crying shame seeing as it's predecessor is one of my personal favorites.
  13. Jul 22, 2012
    I have a ambivalence to the Nolan batman films and that is a story with such rich texture it becomes a shame that they add Deus ex machina "A deus ex machina ( /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/ day-əs eks mah-kee-nə;[1] Latin: "god from the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is aI have a ambivalence to the Nolan batman films and that is a story with such rich texture it becomes a shame that they add Deus ex machina "A deus ex machina ( /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/ day-əs eks mah-kee-nə;[1] Latin: "god from the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object." Hollywood moments to solve its problems. Here The dark knight rises does the same. if you've seen the movies chances are you know what im talking about. They all start the same, Dark, and a feeling that what your seeing is if Batman existed in the real world, he fights things with what he has.. Then when the moments are at their toughest for him they just give him the I win button. It happened in Dark knight rises and cheapens a truly great movie. For me I just wish they gave batman more Wits. I wanted him to have a intelectual discussion with the Joker and debate him on chaos not just sit by in awe and listen to the Jokers sermens. And finaly in with the Dark Knight rises the same happends again. I must say though this is Bales/Nolans wisest batman yet, but still doesnt say much about the Bruce Wayne in Nolans universe who still is a baby through out the series who has learned nothing about the philosphys that drive his villians to deveolpe a personal anti thesis that would increase not only his mental prowless but his gab to debate them when they speak of their version of how life ought to be. To that it seems the smartest men in gotham remain Alfred, Lusious fox, and Joker who for whatever reason never shows up in the movie. I understand they love ledger, But Joker loved CHAOS not Nuclear destruction. To me a loving hand from joker to batman would have been a understandable moment even if he is not physicaly there. Yes the joker is loose, Yes he got off the island but not before giving Batman some piece of information that will save the city so once again he might come again and bring it to the world he wants to live in. I long for a day when this kind of batman will rise again, but, a batman written by someone who could have a batman that not only fights a villian with his strength, gadgets, and fear but also with a wit that can counter the thoughts of these criminals and deflate their rhetoric destroying not only their plans but also their beliefs Expand
  14. Dec 6, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with liking or loving a movie. And this does not change if that movie is critically amazing or horrible.

So love TDKR, but any critical and intelligence observation of TDKR will turn up that it fails on almost every level at be coherent, believable, and just all-round good. It has far to many faults for me to even start to outline them here, and others have already done this far better that I ever could. So all I will say is that it is an absolutely horrible film that manages to ruin everything that it had going for itself. What makes this so unbelievable and unforgivable is that the previous titles in the series were instant classics, and some of the best films of the last ten years.

Any review of this film over a 50% is undoubtedly either paid for (or other wise biased against the critics judgement) . Or was not actually written by a film critic, but simply a writer (paid or otherwise) to write a review (without any skill at actually critiquing a film).
  15. Sep 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here there be SPOILERS.
    Dark Knight Rises: too vehicletastic. He drives a batcycle, he flies a batcopter -- the real Batman is just a man, a man with hermetic assassin training and a utility belt, but a man. When Batman has to use his batcopter to haul a neutron bomb out "over the bay" away from the city I feel like I'm watching a James Bond movie, not Batman.

Batman is a detective. He uses his wits to catch these guys, not his expensive toys. This Batman farmed all his detecting out to Alfred. This Batman couldn't even figure out that Miranda Tate was not all she seemed! Never trust a French chanteuse. Who haunted the dreams of that boiled owl in Inception.

I'll meet halfway on suspension of disbelief. That's why I'm in the theatre. But the halfway part . . . If you don't show up at the meeting place, and I have to go across town and over to your house, and you don't answer the door, and I let myself in and there's some Hans Zimmer on the stereo and the bathroom window's open and you've written in steam on the mirror SCREW YOU . . . I don't know. Okay, so Bane broke Batman's back and had him shipped out to the Moorish prison hole of his past. But when a helpful fellow prisoner explains "You won't be able to move until I fix your back . . . Your vertebra is sticking out . . ." and punches it back into place . . . leading to a complete recovery . . . again, I don't know.

Nolan seems to have trouble structuring his stories. Toward the end of a long film is not where one wants a protagonist defeat-imprisonment-recovery-escape sequence. If you've gotta have that, it could come at the end of act one. Or, heaven forbid, defeat-imprisonment at the end of the film, and recovery-escape at the top of Dark Knight Rises: The Final Chapter. (Inception, too, seemed to stumble about like a drunk in the video store.)

Don't like Anne Hathaway and don't like Catwoman's mood-killing postmodern quips. Get Eartha Kitt to do it digitally like Brando in Superman Returns. In three of these Nolan Batmans there's never been a decent female character for Batman to play off of. The vanishing Katie Holmes, the game Maggie Gyllenhaal -- he just didn't write anything for em to do.

I must not have been completely under the spell of the film, because when the batcopter, on its way out to the bay, hoists that bomb over a school bus full of orphans (and the bland Joseph Gordon-Levitt) I was thinking "How great would it be if that bomb slammed into that bus like a wrecking ball?" Sadly, it was not to be.

The movie lurched up to the brink of an interesting idea -- what if Batman lost all his money -- and then wobbled away in some other narrative precession. Rather than showing us Batman surviving on his own, defeating Bane without his pricey hardware -- the real Batman -- Nolan hurriedly got him back into the copter. I would have liked to have seen that other movie, with broke street Batman.

I guess since losing his parents Bruce Wayne has used his money to insulate himself, with the suit, the copter -- but that would be a theme for a movie with something on its mind. Dark Knight Rises feints toward political content, but merely uses the motif of class uprising as another exotic/gritty backdrop in a bloated action movie. The film is uninterested in exploring any of the questions it raises. Hell, it's uninterested in raising any questions.

Of course this is the director who made a 148 minute film about dreams without a single memorable image or surreal moment. (It only felt like 192 minutes). In fact in Nolan's career I can remember exactly one image: Carrie Ann Moss' look of absolute evil, sitting in the car toward the end of Memento.
  16. Jan 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My god this movie was the worst i have seen in years,the first part was genius...but this,Bain...that voice really!!!! sooo annoying after 40 min i shut it off.....d^_^b it's the best you can do.... trust me and this movie was even movie of the year above Django HAHAHAHAHA not a good move Metacritic!!! Expand
  17. Jul 24, 2012
    This movie is very average. The plot doesn't make logical sense, the movie lacks appearances from its star cast, and fight scenes are nothing more than 2 brutes swinging as hard as they can. The movie is rather a test to see how much fans love Christopher Nolan. It seems in their eyes he can do no wrong. He is the real world white knight and we will adore and overrate this film justThis movie is very average. The plot doesn't make logical sense, the movie lacks appearances from its star cast, and fight scenes are nothing more than 2 brutes swinging as hard as they can. The movie is rather a test to see how much fans love Christopher Nolan. It seems in their eyes he can do no wrong. He is the real world white knight and we will adore and overrate this film just because he made it no matter how many plot holes and liberties he took with this film. Expand
  18. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning contains spoilers! Questionable choices made by the director in this plot the feel of the movie was very much like the others which is good but 'Bane' as the main badie always left a question mark over my head when I saw the trailers when there are much more complex characters in the batman saga. I did enjoy how bane was acted his voice was strange but very much what has been heard of before in cartoons and games. However none of his back story was explained why did he get hooked up to a blood transfusion in the underground base he had why did he have the mask that made him sound so strange? Bane in the comics is supposed to be smart, intelligent and the Venom he uses makes him super strong not enough back story for this prominent leading character. Also where was Batman "the world greatest detective" that we had seen in the previous films, using expensive innovative detective methods was exchanged for big explosions and the bat plane. Ra's al ghul plot of bane completing his work because he his his supposed son only for everyone to find out its actually Talia was predictable to anyone who know the comics, has played any of the games and can spot bad acting!, Right from when she first gets introduced she, its easily to tell shes not who she says she is. This film is entertaining but frustrating if you are a fan Expand
  19. Jul 20, 2012
    What "The Dark Knight Rises" is missing is efficiency and clarity. "The Dark Knight" was a nearly perfect film marked by astounding character development and perfect pop utility - not a moment wasted. "The Dark Knight Rises" is a muddled mess, albeit a dazzling one. The visuals are stunning; but all of the rabbits in Nolan's hat cannot obscure the fact that the screenplay is simply notWhat "The Dark Knight Rises" is missing is efficiency and clarity. "The Dark Knight" was a nearly perfect film marked by astounding character development and perfect pop utility - not a moment wasted. "The Dark Knight Rises" is a muddled mess, albeit a dazzling one. The visuals are stunning; but all of the rabbits in Nolan's hat cannot obscure the fact that the screenplay is simply not up to snuff. Expand
  20. Jul 20, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises had a lot of hype and high expectations to live up to after coming off of its acclaimed predecessor--The Dark Knight. Thus, inevitably, when going in to see the TDKR, TDK will be on the back of many peoples
  21. Jul 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was not a good Batman movie, especially trying to stand next to Begins or Dark Knight. There's a lot for me to dislike, but I'll try to hit the key points only. The pacing is rotten; actors speak without pausing between lines like they're reading from a script as quickly as possible, and plot points whiz by faster than you can appreciate most of the time as more and more is crammed into the already beefy two and a half hours. If things are slowed down to the point of understanding, you realize that the plot makes no sense. Bane (though not really Bane as it turns out) wants to blow up the city because...well, you find out eventually its because Ra's Al Ghul wanted to, but Bane himself (or his benefactor) really has no motivation aside from being a bad guy. Worse still, Bane and company seem to be suicide agents for some reason, planning on going up in smoke along with the rest of the city when the bomb goes off. The entire plot seems to be dedicated to showing Bane rip the city apart and having character shout Occupy Wall Street lines, all the while showing us how bad Socialism actually is. "Now its everyone's house!" Anyway, I think most of the problems stem from those key points: bad pacing, bad plot, confused social message. The actors are great (if rushed), and the segments with Anne Hathaway felt like an entirely different (better) movie. She plays a great Catwoman, and I wish I could have seen her doing so in a better Batman movie. The Batman vs Bane sewer fight is also excellent, and could be transplanted entirely to a better movie as well (the epilogue isn't too bad either, so you can leave on a comparatively high note). Everything else though, from silly plane kidnapping intro to nuclear race against time climax, is rushed and gaudy. One last funny thing I noticed: The Joker is never mentioned, even in passing or in regards to Dent. Dent is talked about; Scarecrow is cameoed; Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Shadows come up; never the Joker though, and he's technically alive in the Nolan-verse. Why? Personally, because I think Nolan and company recognized they weren't living up to the Dark Knight's quality, and they were trying to desperately avoid reminding the audience of that better movie. Don't say his name, and maybe everyone will forget. I'm not really sure, but if it was their way of dodging the challenge of living up to that movie, they failed miserably. Expand
  22. Jul 21, 2012
    It's not only the sequel we need, it's the sequel we deserve!

I came out of the cinema having been taken on an emotional rollercoaster. No one can follow that, no reboot can touch Nolans trilogy.

I did not think it possible that I would enjoy a movie more than Avengers this year, I was wrong.
  23. Jul 21, 2012
    Tom hardy isn't Heath Ledger, but he isn't trying to be. Take TDKR for what it his, the final testament and epic conclusion of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Nolan borrows a fistful of techniques he picked up from his own movie, Inception, and gives the third batman a style and feel of it's very own, and with a more than satisfying ending it wraps everything up yet leaves room for pondering andTom hardy isn't Heath Ledger, but he isn't trying to be. Take TDKR for what it his, the final testament and epic conclusion of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Nolan borrows a fistful of techniques he picked up from his own movie, Inception, and gives the third batman a style and feel of it's very own, and with a more than satisfying ending it wraps everything up yet leaves room for pondering and rewatching. Nolan at his finest. Expand
  24. Jul 21, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is another proff, that Nolan brothers are untalented, like Christian Bale as Batman. Horrible idea making Bane main genius enemy. So boring and so awful action. So stupidly written plot. This thing need to be at the deep of rating, but stupid fans forced this film.
  25. Jul 21, 2012
    Slow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was just not fun. The comics are good fun, this, meh. It would be fine to see this on video. There were two major, whose stupid idea was that moments. IfSlow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was just not fun. The comics are good fun, this, meh. It would be fine to see this on video. There were two major, whose stupid idea was that moments. If you are a fan, I suspect they will disappoint you. Expand
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    The dark night rises can be summed up in one word. dissapointing. I am a big fan of the series prior to this but the bad combination of shaky characters, a copied plot line, and logic flaws made this movie two and a half hours of dissapointment. the movies new characters have barely any explanation to them at all and the new thing about batman torn about weather he should retire or notThe dark night rises can be summed up in one word. dissapointing. I am a big fan of the series prior to this but the bad combination of shaky characters, a copied plot line, and logic flaws made this movie two and a half hours of dissapointment. the movies new characters have barely any explanation to them at all and the new thing about batman torn about weather he should retire or not goes against the fact that it is a batman movie (not to mention its very poorly scripted). the dark night does redeem itself alittle with anne hathaway playing a sexy well developed catwoman. when the movie first started and the very first action scene was done with i was excited and hopefull about this movie... but eventually it drug out drama with bruce wayne in a very dull segment of the movie and when the plot line actually starts to unfold i figured out that they had simply done the same basic thing in the first movie. the plit twists were not built up well and made the movie even worse... on top of all theses flaws pure logic flaws stop me from being emmersed into the dramatic critical point in the story like hundreds of people running at tanks and machine guns. ten men with assault rifles and cover could hold down the entire group of police officers. not to mention one of them could just toss a grenade at batman or bane and end the whole thing. cat woman seemed to be immune to bullet fire and the auto pilot was a poor excuse for the ending twist. and banes mask was explained horribly and an army of underground contractors with machine guns was never seen by anyone? all in all the movie does look epic and when it actually gets to a fight scene with bane and batman (theres only two and theyre not long) it does look awesome. although i love batman and i try to like this movie it has way to many shortcomings and outright stupidity for me to like it. stay safe and dont go to this movie Expand
  27. Jul 22, 2012
    It isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so. This is one of those films. I felt personally connected to all of the characters, did not see the ending coming, and was fully engrossed throughoutIt isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so. This is one of those films. I felt personally connected to all of the characters, did not see the ending coming, and was fully engrossed throughout the 2-1/2 hours. Awesome conclusion to an unforgettable story. Expand
  28. Jul 23, 2012
    It is not our own fault, as a collective audience, that the third film in the trilogy is often so pressurised into being a fantastic, ugly and plot-less mess. We get overexcited and speculate endlessly and wildly about the plot and twists of the film to the extent where the creators are left with no option but to go hell for leather and overload, over-complicate and overextend themselvesIt is not our own fault, as a collective audience, that the third film in the trilogy is often so pressurised into being a fantastic, ugly and plot-less mess. We get overexcited and speculate endlessly and wildly about the plot and twists of the film to the extent where the creators are left with no option but to go hell for leather and overload, over-complicate and overextend themselves when it comes to actually making the damned thing! Nolan has in the past provided massively entertaining well written, scripted and directed works of cinema, (TDK, Inception and YES prestige) I do not doubt his talent.

TDKR was not one of them, the dialogue lacked the wit and pithy impact of the previous film to the point where everything felt rushed and miscued. The plot 'twists' were obvious, unnecessary and entirely un-intriguing. The action scenes were fine, a little drab although I appreciate the 'broken Batman' concept. Bane was good and would have appeared better if the rest of the plot had stood well around him. A suitably frightening bad guy I loved the voice and the interactions between him and his army (although why they are so willing to die at his command is never fully explained). The prison scene could have worked in another film, similar to Batman Begins for example, but were an irritating and contrived side plot, especially the whole rock climbing bit (was this the key scene? Not sure). Give a director enough budget and he will drop your expectations through a trapdoor.
  29. Jul 23, 2012
    I don't know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan, he makes these great movies with awesome special effects, beautiful cinematography, and poignant dramatic moments and **** them up with convoluted plot twists, multiple story lines, and retiredly complicated scenarios. This movie could have been great, but it ended up being just ok. It was too long and too many things going on reminded meI don't know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan, he makes these great movies with awesome special effects, beautiful cinematography, and poignant dramatic moments and **** them up with convoluted plot twists, multiple story lines, and retiredly complicated scenarios. This movie could have been great, but it ended up being just ok. It was too long and too many things going on reminded me too much of inception. The ending was money, but it didn't make up for the rest of the movie being too long and boring, next time don't try to make 6 movies into one and it will be good. Expand
  30. Jul 23, 2012
    Batman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting asBatman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting as Catwoman, Marion Cotillard was the memorable Miranda Tate, and Michael Caine and definitely Christian Bale have never been better in the franchise. The best new character for me was Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake, who gave a great performance. The story excelled at showing that Batman is human like us, not some Superman or Green Lantern, but a guy just like us, even if he has a bit more money. This is a great end to a great trilogy, and I think it outdoes Spider-Man and the Avengers for best superhero movie of the year. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.