Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 20, 2012
Universal acclaim based on 3796 Ratings
3,170
WATCH NOW
BioticBirdJul 24, 2012
This movie is very average. The plot doesn't make logical sense, the movie lacks appearances from its star cast, and fight scenes are nothing more than 2 brutes swinging as hard as they can. The movie is rather a test to see how much fansThis movie is very average. The plot doesn't make logical sense, the movie lacks appearances from its star cast, and fight scenes are nothing more than 2 brutes swinging as hard as they can. The movie is rather a test to see how much fans love Christopher Nolan. It seems in their eyes he can do no wrong. He is the real world white knight and we will adore and overrate this film just because he made it no matter how many plot holes and liberties he took with this film. Expand
Wilde17Jul 23, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning contains spoilers! Questionable choices made by the director in this plot the feel of the movie was very much like the others which is good but 'Bane' as the main badie always left a question mark over my head when I saw the trailers when there are much more complex characters in the batman saga. I did enjoy how bane was acted his voice was strange but very much what has been heard of before in cartoons and games. However none of his back story was explained why did he get hooked up to a blood transfusion in the underground base he had why did he have the mask that made him sound so strange? Bane in the comics is supposed to be smart, intelligent and the Venom he uses makes him super strong not enough back story for this prominent leading character. Also where was Batman "the world greatest detective" that we had seen in the previous films, using expensive innovative detective methods was exchanged for big explosions and the bat plane. Ra's al ghul plot of bane completing his work because he his his supposed son only for everyone to find out its actually Talia was predictable to anyone who know the comics, has played any of the games and can spot bad acting!, Right from when she first gets introduced she, its easily to tell shes not who she says she is. This film is entertaining but frustrating if you are a fan Expand
ursinejuggrnautJul 20, 2012
What "The Dark Knight Rises" is missing is efficiency and clarity. "The Dark Knight" was a nearly perfect film marked by astounding character development and perfect pop utility - not a moment wasted. "The Dark Knight Rises" is a muddledWhat "The Dark Knight Rises" is missing is efficiency and clarity. "The Dark Knight" was a nearly perfect film marked by astounding character development and perfect pop utility - not a moment wasted. "The Dark Knight Rises" is a muddled mess, albeit a dazzling one. The visuals are stunning; but all of the rabbits in Nolan's hat cannot obscure the fact that the screenplay is simply not up to snuff. Expand
GraysonGooseJul 20, 2012
The Dark Knight Rises had a lot of hype and high expectations to live up to after coming off of its acclaimed predecessor--The Dark Knight. Thus, inevitably, when going in to see the TDKR, TDK will be on the back of many peoples
SadPanda212Jul 21, 2012
It's not only the sequel we need, it's the sequel we deserve!

I came out of the cinema having been taken on an emotional rollercoaster. No one can follow that, no reboot can touch Nolans trilogy. I did not think it possible that I would
It's not only the sequel we need, it's the sequel we deserve!

I did not think it possible that I would enjoy a movie more than Avengers this year, I was wrong.
Fitzpatt911Jul 21, 2012
Tom hardy isn't Heath Ledger, but he isn't trying to be. Take TDKR for what it his, the final testament and epic conclusion of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Nolan borrows a fistful of techniques he picked up from his own movie, Inception, and givesTom hardy isn't Heath Ledger, but he isn't trying to be. Take TDKR for what it his, the final testament and epic conclusion of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Nolan borrows a fistful of techniques he picked up from his own movie, Inception, and gives the third batman a style and feel of it's very own, and with a more than satisfying ending it wraps everything up yet leaves room for pondering and rewatching. Nolan at his finest. Expand
Daime_MizuchitaJul 21, 2012
"The Dark Knight Rises" is another proff, that Nolan brothers are untalented, like Christian Bale as Batman. Horrible idea making Bane main genius enemy. So boring and so awful action. So stupidly written plot. This thing need to be at the"The Dark Knight Rises" is another proff, that Nolan brothers are untalented, like Christian Bale as Batman. Horrible idea making Bane main genius enemy. So boring and so awful action. So stupidly written plot. This thing need to be at the deep of rating, but stupid fans forced this film. Expand
DakthornJul 21, 2012
Slow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was justSlow to start and muddied with too many mediocre subplots this is the weakest of the trilogy. The last 45 minutes were fun. Bane was dull. I went to see Batman and He didn't show up until the end. Sure there were reasons, but it was just not fun. The comics are good fun, this, meh. It would be fine to see this on video. There were two major, whose stupid idea was that moments. If you are a fan, I suspect they will disappoint you. Expand
OreStinOmahaJul 22, 2012
It isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so.It isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so. This is one of those films. I felt personally connected to all of the characters, did not see the ending coming, and was fully engrossed throughout the 2-1/2 hours. Awesome conclusion to an unforgettable story. Expand
Discordia87Jul 23, 2012
It is not our own fault, as a collective audience, that the third film in the trilogy is often so pressurised into being a fantastic, ugly and plot-less mess. We get overexcited and speculate endlessly and wildly about the plot and twists ofIt is not our own fault, as a collective audience, that the third film in the trilogy is often so pressurised into being a fantastic, ugly and plot-less mess. We get overexcited and speculate endlessly and wildly about the plot and twists of the film to the extent where the creators are left with no option but to go hell for leather and overload, over-complicate and overextend themselves when it comes to actually making the damned thing! Nolan has in the past provided massively entertaining well written, scripted and directed works of cinema, (TDK, Inception and YES prestige) I do not doubt his talent.

TDKR was not one of them, the dialogue lacked the wit and pithy impact of the previous film to the point where everything felt rushed and miscued. The plot 'twists' were obvious, unnecessary and entirely un-intriguing. The action scenes were fine, a little drab although I appreciate the 'broken Batman' concept. Bane was good and would have appeared better if the rest of the plot had stood well around him. A suitably frightening bad guy I loved the voice and the interactions between him and his army (although why they are so willing to die at his command is never fully explained). The prison scene could have worked in another film, similar to Batman Begins for example, but were an irritating and contrived side plot, especially the whole rock climbing bit (was this the key scene? Not sure). Give a director enough budget and he will drop your expectations through a trapdoor.
Hugh5031Jul 23, 2012
Batman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superbBatman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting as Catwoman, Marion Cotillard was the memorable Miranda Tate, and Michael Caine and definitely Christian Bale have never been better in the franchise. The best new character for me was Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake, who gave a great performance. The story excelled at showing that Batman is human like us, not some Superman or Green Lantern, but a guy just like us, even if he has a bit more money. This is a great end to a great trilogy, and I think it outdoes Spider-Man and the Avengers for best superhero movie of the year. Expand
VivkingJul 23, 2012
This should be added to the list of over hyped movies that sucked. It was not about batman, the movie was about cat woman and robin and a whole lot of useless characters. What a waste of time. Batman had 2 fist fights in the movie, that'sThis should be added to the list of over hyped movies that sucked. It was not about batman, the movie was about cat woman and robin and a whole lot of useless characters. What a waste of time. Batman had 2 fist fights in the movie, that's all the action you get. He either runs away scared or gets his ass kicked. Watched batman begins and TDK and was really excited to watch this movie. But the movie just sucked..on par with Prometheus! I did not pay money to watch a sissy batman movie with no action. Period. Expand
smarmJul 29, 2012
One word: boring.

From the numerous plot holes and head-scratchers to Catwoman's tedious and bland acting to the predictable and samey dialog; This is a pathetic ending to the Batman trilogy. I did walk out on this movie, about 3/4's of
One word: boring.

I did walk out on this movie, about 3/4's of the way through. Was falling asleep in my seat.

My largest gripe is the bad writing. Things happen by accident. One of the characters HAPPENS to stumble on the operations of the biggest bad in Gotham being kept secret for months / years. The Big Bad HAPPENS to know where the treasure vault is, when ostensibly no one know where it is, etc, etc. Relying on coincidence, always the hallmark of bad writing.

Secondly the plot and motivations for things done in the movie are largely incoherent. Why does Batman (of the movie), care one whit for this two dimensional cut out of Catwoman and go out of his way to save her? Why is it understood that she is any use when it comes to finding the Big Bad at all, when she appears to be a low level pawn? Why is that stupid stunt done with the airplane (see your trailer) when it's not even clear the "snatch and grab" that takes place is even needed? All in all, the movie play's more like a bad video game tie in than anything: All the set pieces (i.e. fight scenes or big stupid explosions) are planned out in advance and the plot is stitched together to "make it work".

There were some pretty clumsy and stupid jabs at "the rich" in the movie, which was just distracting and tedious. Yes guys, we get it: it's popular to bag on the rich. But if you're going to do it, at least do it competently. Batman, and to a lesser extent the city of Gotham itself, has been about this very subject. So I'm not sure why the "writer's" of this "fine film" would go out of their way to clumsily add non-canon whining and bad dialog, when you already have canon content that does the job quite well.

Weirdly I liked the side-characters more than what the writer's had the main character's doing all movie. The one cop who's in the batman fan club from word "Go" (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) that they spend an inordinate amount of time characterizing does a VERY good job and is more likeable than Bale as Batman. I *assume* they kill him off at some point to get a stupid tug at the heart strings. But I was expecting him to be the new Robin there for a bit.

There was good acting to be sure, just not Cat Woman. There is TONS of source material for each of the characters in the Batman universe, including Cat Woman. Cat Woman is normally portrayed (in the comics), as a more complex character than that "thing" that we had the misfortune of seeing Ms. Hathaway clumsily paw her way through.

I did like the music, if overdone at times ("Yes, we get it guys, beating drums make things more exciting").

One thing I thought was ironic as a good many of the character's in the film do or say things that indicate their strong belief that the concept of Batman itself is tired, outdated and unnecessary. A weird message for the movie ABOUT the Batman to have. And they actually bring up some cogent points! Unfortunately the bad writing they give Bale gives no indication of maturation, a good reason for him being the Batman or even an indication that he's thrill seeking or attempting to recapture lost glories. Which they out and out accuse him of at multiple points within the movie itself!

If you're going to beat the audience over the head with a "motivation" of the main character, at least have the main character himself attempt to express that motivation!
jimmyp01Jul 29, 2012
As someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'mAs someone who adores Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I had high hopes for The Dark Knight Rises. Unfortunately, I found it very disappointing for several reasons. For one, Tom Hardy's Bane is largely inaudible throughout. Also, if I'm being honest, I think his voice sounds a bit camp at times too. He's a great actor and capable of playing brooding, menacing characters well (see Bronson if you don't believe me!), which makes his performance in TDKR all the more disappointing and frustrating in equal measure.
Secondly, this film is loaded with plot holes. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have a fair few, but nowhere near as many as this one does. Furthermore, Hans Zimmer's score is incredibly irritating - it seems to be playing in the background of almost every scene and is increasingly distracting. Bane and Batman's one-on-one fights look, and feel, as if they have been choreographed by wrestlers from WWE. They lack any intensity or suspense. TDKR moves at such an unforgiving pace that it's hard to absorb everything that happens. Ultimately, as a result of this, the film lacks any emotional depth. We don't feel for Bruce Wayne here in the same way we do for him in BB or TDK.
Fortunately though, it isn't all bad. Anne Hathaway plays the role of Selina Kyle well enough, conveying a sense of playful mischief, and Michael Caine is excellent as Alfred.
But, I had been waiting years for this film and had been expecting an entertaining and enthralling conclusion to Chris Nolan's Batman trilogy, but left the movie theatre feeling exhausted and dejected by its failings.
ZaferJul 30, 2012
The film was an absolute disappointment for me. The action was taking place in a very narrow space. The editing was really awful. There were countless meaningless happenings. Like taking blood from the man in the plane. Then the blood wasn'tThe film was an absolute disappointment for me. The action was taking place in a very narrow space. The editing was really awful. There were countless meaningless happenings. Like taking blood from the man in the plane. Then the blood wasn't even used. Casting was not good. The city fight scene was meaningless. Why didn't they use the guns but tried to ram instead?
No adrenalin. Not enough action. Lots of unanaswered questions. Why was the truck in the move? No logical answer. Lots of questions like this one.
Generally talking the worst of the trilogy.
WofwofAug 30, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Too long, too boring, too stupid, too predictable. When you watch first scene in airplane you think nice directing and action but the story behind it and Bane's plan was so stupid that it was too funny to watch. A plot where some body builder with mask lock all of city policeman's (smart guys!) in a subway under city and than announce it on some football game followed with unnecessary violence (trough all the scenes with Bane) to make some stupid point is rubbish. Complete and utter rubbish. Bane breaks Batman's back and he get miraculously cured hanging from a rope in a cave! He liberates all policemen ant they attack Bane's people in that legendary scene where 10 000 people is shooting on each other in 20m distance and 2 guys die! Than they drop their weapons and start to hit each other. If this were a comedy it would be much better. Who wrote that plot. Can they put at least some suspension or unpredictability in movie? I mean who didn't know Robin will be that policeman? I don't know what is worse in this move. Acting, dialog's or story.
Other reviewers say it's deep movie? On what drug are they on? They show cat women's character as good like this: She is walking down the street. Some guys are molesting a kid without any reason. She helps the kid, beating the guys. Omg how anyone come to idea to put that scene in move. And scenes like that just pops out everywhere. Batman is fighting on one part of town and in next scene he comes and helps cat women. I thought who cut the part between? What about that scene on wall street? Where those guys who act like janitors hide their motorcycles? Why did police made ramps for them to jump over the blockade? Why did they even attack wall street on that stupid way? It was so funny to see something that unrealistic and stupid in a movie. It's deep politically and social? Yes, if you are retard. It,s so superficial that you have to laugh. Avoid if you don't won to throw 3 hours of your life.
Only way to enjoy in this movie is to accept it's very expansively produced, good directed brainless action which will unintentionally make you laugh so many times...
WithoutAPauseDec 29, 2012
Shockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit ofShockingly inept storytelling, especially given how solid the first two Nolan Batman films were. The cinematography and direction are as gorgeous as they were in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but the story is a complete wreck. A bit of creative license is needed for even the grittiest superhero film, but TDKR treats viewers like their IQs top out at 68. Nothing makes a whit of sense, the pacing is terrible, and the movie wastes Tom Hardy behind and mask and a ridiculous voice. A few energetic action sequences and Anne Hathaway's fun performance (and amazing figure in that suit) keep it from being a complete failure, but it's terribly close. Even Alfred's speeches are tiresome in this one. I just watched it for a second time, and it somehow makes even less sense than the first time around. Nolan tried to dress up an incredibly weak screenplay with lots of bells and whistles, but it's all empty noise. Expand
PhantosOct 13, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a film that shot on location where peaceful Occupy protesters were savaged by corrupt police officers. Knowing this, Christopher Nolan tells the story of heroic, perfect cops who fight the EVIL TERRORISTS. Think about what that means for all of the people who gave this film such undeserved praise. That is how we view polite dissenters: The Bad Guys.

Christopher Nolan has made the worst Batman movie of all time for this, and one other reason:

Even forgetting the terrible screenplay and the sluggish acting, this director hinged his entire plot on the detonation of a nuclear bomb that, as we see in the end, couldn't even kill one person who was at ground zero of the blast. And then has the audacity to assume it is a serious, dramatic production.

At least Batman & Robin wasn't ashamed of being retarded.
Cereal-KillerNov 23, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a comic books reader and a movies lover i hate this movie so much. I can list all the things that i hated about this movie. The Batman coming back from retirement wasnt exciting or epic. It was just "ehhhh ok". The plan to destroy Gotham was ridiculous and groundless. They turned the epic story when Bane broke through BatmanĀ“s house and broke BatmanĀ“s back into a lame fight in the sewer. The final battle between Batman and Bane happened in a **** street in broad day light. Not mentioning that the movie is too long and too boring.

Nolan did a great job in the first two movies. But looked a little bit lost here. Like he didnt know what to do to finish the franchise. What a shame.