Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 20, 2012
Universal acclaim based on 3906 Ratings
3,275
Watch Now
GreatMartinJul 20, 2012
Where is Robin when you need him? Or for that matter Spiderman? Wait! Where is Batman?? In this 2 hour and 25 minute movie we see way too much of Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) not to forget Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) and Bane, the villain (TomWhere is Robin when you need him? Or for that matter Spiderman? Wait! Where is Batman?? In this 2 hour and 25 minute movie we see way too much of Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) not to forget Catwoman (Anne Hathaway) and Bane, the villain (Tom Hardy), and a young policeman (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) plus the Commissioner (Gary Oldman), Batman/Bruce Wayne's inventor Lucius (Morgan Freeman), a possible love interest in Miranda Tate (Marion Cotillard) and various other characters but I thought this was suppose to be a film about Batman, isn't it?

"The Dark Knight Rises" is on its way to breaking records (if the shooting today in Colorado doesn't keep people away from movie theatres) but it is not half as interesting as Spiderman was, has a long, confusing plot that goes in all directions and a not very interesting villain. Without giving away any plot points two of them border on the ridiculous.

Michael Caine, playing Wayne's butler/valet, disappears after being prominent at the beginning with his hovering/worrying about Bruce being taken over by Morgan Freeman with the latter not really offering anything different in the part.

The screenplay by Christopher Nolan, who also directed, and Jonathan Nolan, goes into many and confusing directions. It can also bring up other layers if you want to look at it politically with Bane (Bain?), the 1%, the Occupy Wall street group and the destruction of Gotham city, which certainly is New York here, bringing up scenes of 9/11, but don't waste your time on those angles because your mind will be all over the place until Batman, special effects, stopping the world coming to an end comes into play and off we go into comic book hero action.

Having seen "The Amazing Spiderman" last week and "The Dark Knight Rises" today I would recommend the former a lot more than the latter as it has the better story, is shorter and though it also has an uninteresting villain at least you can understand what he is saying.
JayWingJul 21, 2012
Loved this movie... If you are a fan of going to the cinema... Then go NOW. This movie encompasses every reason we love movies. The acting was phenomenal and the film had so many original ideas in its story. I'm seeing it again in IMAXLoved this movie... If you are a fan of going to the cinema... Then go NOW. This movie encompasses every reason we love movies. The acting was phenomenal and the film had so many original ideas in its story. I'm seeing it again in IMAX tonight an I have a feeling this is one that will get better with multiple viewings. Expand
CountryPetInnAug 18, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything felt rushed, miscued & unexplained in the last 90 minutes. The last 30 minutes made generally no sense. After Batman 2 which was brilliant, this movie had me consistently asking why were most of the characters so idiotic in their thinking. A few bad actors in place as well; and the ending? Really? How could Batman survive that? Maybe if his batwing morphed int an amphibious craft. Just a LOT of unexplained holes that had you asking, how'd he get there?, why don't they just...? I really hate it when movie that supposed to be great, leaves you analyzing the direction job. The voice of Bane to me just didn't fit either, it sounded like a 70 year old college professor. Expand
BikerjamesAug 26, 2012
First and foremost, the sound quality in this film is one of the worse I have heard for a major motion picture, and I saw it in IMAX which has the best sound available. Overall, I would say I understood about 2/3 of the dialogue, and onlyFirst and foremost, the sound quality in this film is one of the worse I have heard for a major motion picture, and I saw it in IMAX which has the best sound available. Overall, I would say I understood about 2/3 of the dialogue, and only about 1/3 of Bane's dialogue. Bane wears a mask and when he speaks, for no apparent reason, there is an amplified distorted voice. On top of that he has an accent making it even worse. When he spoke into a microphone on the football field you may as well forget trying to understand him. The rest of the movie had a VERY annoying loud cello playing in the background when people were speaking. There were no silent spots that I remember. There was even dialogue being spoken during the action scenes. My friend and I were constantly leaning over and saying "what did he say?". There is also absolutely NO humor in this film whatsoever, and in fact every person on the screen had the same angry, angst, cynical personality. As always, the special effects were superb which I would expect for a budget the size they had. There are numerous plot holes and ludicrous moments throughout. Michael Caine weeps in almost every scene. I'm a big fan of Anne Hathaway but she is a waste here. She is yet another angry kick-ass person on screen, when they could have used her for some MUCH needed humor in the film. Lastly, the movie was WAY too long. I was so relieved when it finally ended after the cacophony of noise I had to endure for 2 hours and 40 minutes. Expand
wisnoskijDec 6, 2012
There is nothing wrong with liking or loving a movie. And this does not change if that movie is critically amazing or horrible.

So love TDKR, but any critical and intelligence observation of TDKR will turn up that it fails on almost every level at be coherent, believable, and just all-round good. It has far to many faults for me to even start to outline them here, and others have already done this far better that I ever could. So all I will say is that it is an absolutely horrible film that manages to ruin everything that it had going for itself. What makes this so unbelievable and unforgivable is that the previous titles in the series were instant classics, and some of the best films of the last ten years.

Any review of this film over a 50% is undoubtedly either paid for (or other wise biased against the critics judgement) . Or was not actually written by a film critic, but simply a writer (paid or otherwise) to write a review (without any skill at actually critiquing a film).
grahammcgrewSep 8, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here there be SPOILERS.
Dark Knight Rises: too vehicletastic. He drives a batcycle, he flies a batcopter -- the real Batman is just a man, a man with hermetic assassin training and a utility belt, but a man. When Batman has to use his batcopter to haul a neutron bomb out "over the bay" away from the city I feel like I'm watching a James Bond movie, not Batman.

Batman is a detective. He uses his wits to catch these guys, not his expensive toys. This Batman farmed all his detecting out to Alfred. This Batman couldn't even figure out that Miranda Tate was not all she seemed! Never trust a French chanteuse. Who haunted the dreams of that boiled owl in Inception.

I'll meet halfway on suspension of disbelief. That's why I'm in the theatre. But the halfway part . . . If you don't show up at the meeting place, and I have to go across town and over to your house, and you don't answer the door, and I let myself in and there's some Hans Zimmer on the stereo and the bathroom window's open and you've written in steam on the mirror SCREW YOU . . . I don't know. Okay, so Bane broke Batman's back and had him shipped out to the Moorish prison hole of his past. But when a helpful fellow prisoner explains "You won't be able to move until I fix your back . . . Your vertebra is sticking out . . ." and punches it back into place . . . leading to a complete recovery . . . again, I don't know.

Nolan seems to have trouble structuring his stories. Toward the end of a long film is not where one wants a protagonist defeat-imprisonment-recovery-escape sequence. If you've gotta have that, it could come at the end of act one. Or, heaven forbid, defeat-imprisonment at the end of the film, and recovery-escape at the top of Dark Knight Rises: The Final Chapter. (Inception, too, seemed to stumble about like a drunk in the video store.)

Don't like Anne Hathaway and don't like Catwoman's mood-killing postmodern quips. Get Eartha Kitt to do it digitally like Brando in Superman Returns. In three of these Nolan Batmans there's never been a decent female character for Batman to play off of. The vanishing Katie Holmes, the game Maggie Gyllenhaal -- he just didn't write anything for em to do.

I must not have been completely under the spell of the film, because when the batcopter, on its way out to the bay, hoists that bomb over a school bus full of orphans (and the bland Joseph Gordon-Levitt) I was thinking "How great would it be if that bomb slammed into that bus like a wrecking ball?" Sadly, it was not to be.

The movie lurched up to the brink of an interesting idea -- what if Batman lost all his money -- and then wobbled away in some other narrative precession. Rather than showing us Batman surviving on his own, defeating Bane without his pricey hardware -- the real Batman -- Nolan hurriedly got him back into the copter. I would have liked to have seen that other movie, with broke street Batman.

I guess since losing his parents Bruce Wayne has used his money to insulate himself, with the suit, the copter -- but that would be a theme for a movie with something on its mind. Dark Knight Rises feints toward political content, but merely uses the motif of class uprising as another exotic/gritty backdrop in a bloated action movie. The film is uninterested in exploring any of the questions it raises. Hell, it's uninterested in raising any questions.

Of course this is the director who made a 148 minute film about dreams without a single memorable image or surreal moment. (It only felt like 192 minutes). In fact in Nolan's career I can remember exactly one image: Carrie Ann Moss' look of absolute evil, sitting in the car toward the end of Memento.
htimreimerAug 23, 2012
it looks nice and has some good parts but i spent at least over hour and thirty minutes of this 2 hour 45 minute movie completely bored and it doesn't help that bane sounds like sean connery
Bo33yDec 22, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is very hard not to like this film in some small way from one of the greatest cast of actors on display. However this film was no Batman at all, the comic 's have been re-written into yet another terrorism movie. This is not Batman or Gotham. The film dragged on and on, giving much more time to dialogue which can be appreciated from the greatness of its actors. Though as previous this wasn't entirely Batman. Bane was missing the most important part of his character the venom, Batman defeats him in also every exchange from that weakness within the comic 's. The film had you believe Bane was in the league of shadows for its most part. While in truth he is a henchman for hire, but this films interpretation was altogether very wrong and misleadingly misguided. Catwoman dating Batman was so absurd it makes me angry. What little appeal she had is soon forgotten while her character is missing it's kink her whip, her sexiness is altogether lost when she then sells out to Batman. Bruce Wayne almost going broke and losing billions when he is a trillionare. Leaving some inheritance to Alfred and donating his heritage Wayne manor to orphans. This has left one of the worst tastes in my mouth out of any film of this calibre. The film was utterly disappointing a ploy to engage that fear of terrorism in the world today. While rewriting most of the comic book Batman and Gotham. I cannot imagine anyone sitting in the cinema for this film..... Expand
CephalonJan 24, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises fails to deliver in every respect of the trilogy. My only praise goes towards the action sequences and the ending of the film. Otherwise, this is a pointless film with several large plot holes. As the last film of a trilogy, the role of this film is to wrap up the entire trilogy. The entire second film could have been taken out and the third film would not have been changed. Harvey Dent and Rachel's deaths, which should have been felt throughout the film, hardly contributed to the plot, even after Bane reveals Dent's true actions. Expand
Enforcer122Apr 12, 2013
Boy, was I disappointed when I saw this film for the first time. I went with my brothers and girlfriend and there was an overwhelming sense of, nothingness. The opening scene was pretty rad, but after that the film just kind of flops. ABoy, was I disappointed when I saw this film for the first time. I went with my brothers and girlfriend and there was an overwhelming sense of, nothingness. The opening scene was pretty rad, but after that the film just kind of flops. A ridiculous amount of filler, nonsensical story line twists, awful editing and audio. Even worse was the ending, without any spoilers all I'm saying is... Don't get your hopes up. Probably the worst ending to a film I've seen in a long time. Bane was okay, but there are hundreds of better batman villains. Overall, a pretty awful film. Expand
ascoltami86May 27, 2013
I wanted to be story like this. About a Boy,Bane who lived almost all his life on bed with Blood transfusion, and oxygen mask who became very strong one day.
ardania22Sep 1, 2015
Sorry, Nolan fans, but this one just doesn't hold up. And that surprises me, because The Dark Knight showed, beyond any reasonable doubt, that Chris had a true understanding of the filmmaking craft. By contrast, this feels shockinglySorry, Nolan fans, but this one just doesn't hold up. And that surprises me, because The Dark Knight showed, beyond any reasonable doubt, that Chris had a true understanding of the filmmaking craft. By contrast, this feels shockingly amateurish. The characters never seem to have an expression outside "dull and mopey". Seriously, did anyone crack a smile once? Since when was super-serious the end-all for strong emotion? The dialogue is REALLY hammered, and not one line felt natural coming out of those actor's mouths. Maybe less boring philosophy and more subtlety would've helped. The plot is holier than a chain-link fence, and there are several story elements that just don't make sense. For example: Where the hell did the Batman-Marion Cotillard romance come from? It isn't built up, then all of a sudden they're banging. I get that Nolan wants to be big and important, but here, he was so focused on how important his movie was that he forgot to make it actually good. The one saving grace is Tom Hardy as Bane, who nails his intimidating presence to a T. Any scene he's in becomes tense and meaningful. The rest of the movie was bloated, unfocused, and ungodly boring. A real disappointment. Expand
AkashVijayJan 22, 2015
The Dark Knight Rises takes a big step back from the previous 2 instalments in terms of quality. I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for saying this but I personally think the Dark Knight Rises was unnecessary. The arc was completed at theThe Dark Knight Rises takes a big step back from the previous 2 instalments in terms of quality. I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for saying this but I personally think the Dark Knight Rises was unnecessary. The arc was completed at the end of the Dark Knight. Batman's story in the first 2 movies was a fully formed tragedy, similar to that of Hamlet. The Dark Knight Rises tried to go full circle again to give Batman the sappy hollywood manufactured ending and it failed miserably. It recycled the ideas from Batman Begins and didn't bother with depth of any sort. Not only that but it often contradicts the Dark Knight. The plot is incoherent with a lot that just doesn't add up. The relationships Bruce shares with Cat woman and Talia Al Ghul made no sense. There was no on-screen chemistry. The exposition is unbearable, the dialogue is laughably bad at times and Bane is one of the most poorly written villains in recent memory. His motivations and intentions just don't add up. In fact his goals of freeing Gotham from the corrupt and blowing Gotham to hell, are virtually incompatible. He's not just an abstract villain. He just made no sense. And the entire confrontation between Bane and Batman is purely physical. This time even the obstacles Bruce has to overcome are physical injuries. And a physical threat is never as deadly as a physiological threat (that's what made the joker such a terrifying character). The bomb plot line is when the film really drifts back to conventionality. For the direction where these films were going, I'm immensely disappointed with what the Dark Knight Rises had to offer. It's a weak instalment in an otherwise superior trilogy. Had this been anywhere near as good as its predecessors, I would be heralding the Dark Knight Trilogy as one of the greatest movie trilogies ever made. Sadly it didn't meet the hype. Expand
PhantosOct 13, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a film that shot on location where peaceful Occupy protesters were savaged by corrupt police officers. Knowing this, Christopher Nolan tells the story of heroic, perfect cops who fight the EVIL TERRORISTS. Think about what that means for all of the people who gave this film such undeserved praise. That is how we view polite dissenters: The Bad Guys.

Christopher Nolan has made the worst Batman movie of all time for this, and one other reason:

Even forgetting the terrible screenplay and the sluggish acting, this director hinged his entire plot on the detonation of a nuclear bomb that, as we see in the end, couldn't even kill one person who was at ground zero of the blast. And then has the audacity to assume it is a serious, dramatic production.

At least Batman & Robin wasn't ashamed of being retarded.
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
There are some films that just are not worthy of discussion. I'm sad to say this is one. As much effort as was taken to try and legitimize Batman as a cinema icon on par with James bond, The Dark Knight Rises sets the franchise backThere are some films that just are not worthy of discussion. I'm sad to say this is one. As much effort as was taken to try and legitimize Batman as a cinema icon on par with James bond, The Dark Knight Rises sets the franchise back significantly. The script for this film is a train wreck of epic proportions, from major gaps in continuity to grand mal exposition. One scene epitomizes the insipidity of this film, the scene in which Bruce Wayne unveils his fusion reactor. He explains that he didn't want to give this boon to mankind because it could be turned into a weapon.

Wow.

Any high school history or science student could tell you that the hydrogen bomb of the mid 20th century was weaponized nuclear fusion.

Wow.

Like I said, some films are just not worthy of discussion. Skip this one, the actors look bored, the direction is flabby, the dialogue is overwrought and it's a waste of words and a waste of your money and a colossal waste of time.

Cereal-KillerNov 23, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a comic books reader and a movies lover i hate this movie so much. I can list all the things that i hated about this movie. The Batman coming back from retirement wasnt exciting or epic. It was just "ehhhh ok". The plan to destroy Gotham was ridiculous and groundless. They turned the epic story when Bane broke through BatmanĀ“s house and broke BatmanĀ“s back into a lame fight in the sewer. The final battle between Batman and Bane happened in a **** street in broad day light. Not mentioning that the movie is too long and too boring.

Nolan did a great job in the first two movies. But looked a little bit lost here. Like he didnt know what to do to finish the franchise. What a shame.