8.4

1. Jul 24, 2012
    Christopher Nolan directs the third of his Batman Trilogy reuniting the series regulars and introducing others that worked with him on Inception. Nolan
  2. Jul 24, 2012
    Great stuff. I certainly couldn't think of a better way to finish a trilogy, which is a very hard thing to do. Epic story, good acting and production. Something as big as this can't help but attract negativity, but please be assured that it is a great effort. And remember, this is modern myth-making! These stories are our morality plays, our tales of gods and monsters. Please don't look atGreat stuff. I certainly couldn't think of a better way to finish a trilogy, which is a very hard thing to do. Epic story, good acting and production. Something as big as this can't help but attract negativity, but please be assured that it is a great effort. And remember, this is modern myth-making! These stories are our morality plays, our tales of gods and monsters. Please don't look at it as just a crime thriller or you will find implausibility! And Anne Hathaway. If I had any, I'd change my religious beliefs Expand
  3. Jul 24, 2012
    This film is superb, all by itself. However, it pales in comparison to The Dark Knight. Nearly all performances are what they should be, but Tom Hardy unfortunately fails to satisfy the high expectations of Bane, all with that uncharacteristic over-the-top accent. Bane is indeed devastating, and never before have we seen a superhero beaten to a pulp, slammed to the ground, and kept thereThis film is superb, all by itself. However, it pales in comparison to The Dark Knight. Nearly all performances are what they should be, but Tom Hardy unfortunately fails to satisfy the high expectations of Bane, all with that uncharacteristic over-the-top accent. Bane is indeed devastating, and never before have we seen a superhero beaten to a pulp, slammed to the ground, and kept there for such a long time. Bale continues to shine as Batman, and Michael Cain's Alfred is so heartbreakingly perfect. Yes, the film itself is awesome, but how can you not compare this one to the haunting echoes of it's predecessor? The Dark Knight was about an idea. The Dark Knight Rises is more about devastation, and that is accomplished here. Expand
  4. Jul 24, 2012
    A "BATMAN" movie is always eagerly anticipated and when it follows a worldwide blockbuster like "The Dark Knight" and a heath Ledger portrayal of Joker which re-defined the psycho villains in Hollywood and worldwide, then an enormous expectation from the third part of BATMAN franchise is nothing but an understatement.
    Christopher Nolan comes back with his dark shade of batman which kept
    Christopher Nolan comes back with his dark shade of batman which kept us hooked to the screen twice before in recent past.
    Nolan's batman was more real and appealing to everyone as it wasn't bound just as a kid movie but much much more than that.
    Now who have followed the trailer already know this is the last part of the franchise and with words "This is where it all ends" and "An epic conclusion" just adds to the fuel.
    So now mother of all questions: Does "The Dark Knight Rises" fulfill all the expectation?? Is it the at the same level as the "The Dark Knight"?? Does Nolan get it Right the third time?? Can
  5. Jul 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best of this year so far, breathtaking great script,acting and story is better then in dark knight in my opinion. The ending just awesome,this is the last film of trilogy,so your imagination will complete the story after ending. That would be great if Nolan filmed spinoff for how Blake become Nightwing or spinoff with catwoman. Expand
  6. Jul 24, 2012
    I genuinely don't know where to start in describing how much of a let down this film was for me and my partner.

The film was badly written, poorly delivered, bizarrely directed and disjointedly edited. The whole feel of the film is of a three part-er hacked down into a muddled trailer because of intellectually property issues or breached artiste/acting contracts. The film draws

The film draws upon the phenomenally successful "Knight Fall" comic trilogy but then dumps all of its good points in favor of a PC "let's make sure we've covered all of the minority groups in the casting even if we need to jettison the key points"

Bane sounds like an infant shouting through a kazoo, Hathaway manages to make wearing a cat suit look awkward to the point of puritanical, Gary Oldman looks like he's auditioning to replace David Jason as Frost, and Batman does nothing but whine.

Michael Caine struggles with difficult dialogue but nevertheless has us rummaging through girlfriends handbags for tissues as Batman declines into obscurity and Gordon-Levitt has us screaming at the screen to ditch the whine-y old fart and (as Michael Caine in his Harry Palmer days might have said) "get in the bladdy suit!"

This is a film aching to be remade and remade better, which is a shame because everything was already available to Nolan to get it right the first time.
  7. Jul 24, 2012
    The only legitimate critique is that The Dark Knight set the bar so high that this 3rd movie may have missed it ever so slightly. The film is a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy; Bane embodies terror in many forms, and brings Batman to his lowest of lows before the hero rises up and claws his way back. Tom Hardy's performance is as memorable as Heath Ledger's in The Dark Knight. AnneThe only legitimate critique is that The Dark Knight set the bar so high that this 3rd movie may have missed it ever so slightly. The film is a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy; Bane embodies terror in many forms, and brings Batman to his lowest of lows before the hero rises up and claws his way back. Tom Hardy's performance is as memorable as Heath Ledger's in The Dark Knight. Anne Hathaway does a decent job playing the coy, seductive Catwoman. The film is a three hour ensemble of drama, and stuffed with action 'til the end. Expand
  8. Jul 24, 2012
    Easily a film that lived up to the hype. Well acted and written, I was completely caught up in the world that was created. Except for a couple of flaws, it was a near perfect moviegoing experience. Loved the new Catwoman. Really enjoyed all the different interactions between the characters. The finale was very appropriate. Overall, the film really felt epic. Wish there were moreEasily a film that lived up to the hype. Well acted and written, I was completely caught up in the world that was created. Except for a couple of flaws, it was a near perfect moviegoing experience. Loved the new Catwoman. Really enjoyed all the different interactions between the characters. The finale was very appropriate. Overall, the film really felt epic. Wish there were more films like this. Expand
  9. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is an urban legend that with trilogies, the second installment would be better than the third because they have thought of everything out in the second, and the third would be just a rehashing of ideas, if not implemeting less than stellar ones. I thought Christopher Nolan would be the one who would rise above this curse. I thought wrong.

First up, know that I had not refreshed my memory on the Batman trilogy by rewatching the first two movies beforehand. Second I was seriously not expecting an actor that would achieve the heights of the late Heath Ledger. Bless his soul, anyone who tries to replicate him would fail. Keep these two facts in mind as I review the movie.

For Pros: The movie has achieved its overall objective of completing Bruce Wayne's story arc, whilst intertwining it with the Bane/Talia plot. Whilst the plot is simplistic than TDK, the whole theme of TDKR is physical pain, not intellectual prowess. Tom Hardy portrayed an excellent performance of Bane based on the comics, a brute with the intellect that is simply not befitting the stereotypical mook. His body and eye expressions are amplifying the words he speaks. The use of autotunes on Hardy's voice is initially weird, since you get a voice not too dissimilar to Sean Connery, but is acceptable nonetheless. Too bad he is not the principal villain in this movie, or I would have given him an A. Anne Hathaway portrays Catwoman stunningly. A woman that can easily act and adapt to her situation, she is indeed Batman's match. There is something unique with her portrayal that makes he beautiful on the outside and inside without being as seductive as Michelle Pfeifer did, but still achieving the same result.

Michael Caine, despite his more brief appearances, still manages to portray an Alfred who is also a fatherlike figure of Bruce Wayne. In fact, his penultimate scene with Bruce in the manor (telling the secret of Rachel's letter), was almost tear-jerking. If only the movie had more of the emotional impact that Caine had pulled with his character, it would have bumped the score up.

Bale did try to portray a Bruce Wayne bored of his "normal" life, and a Batman that has been rusty since TDK. While great, there is actually no impact whatsoever from his performance, partially because of how the movie was structured.

TDKR is more action oriented, but not as obnoxiously loud as Avengers and Transformers. While more action does not necessarily make a bad movie, TDKR suffers from unfocused storytelling, coupled with a "take it for granted" attitude of the audience, that they already know about the previous two movies. It will not hold your hand if you feel lost at what is going on, expect to be left high and dry as I was. Sure you get flashbacks that make sense, but the actual emotion and atmosphere must be extrapolated from recent This is where the CONS start; the two parallel plots of Bruce and Bane/Talia felt as if they were at loggerheads, instead of meshing seamlessly. You feel as if the movie has no idea which direction it was going, but it still managed to reach a climax nonetheless. In between you get references to previous movies and how it affects TDKR currently (e.g Dent Act, Dent's alleged matyrdom), but because of the unfocused approach there is no Ahhhhh moment where you feel the true nature of such acts. It is just mentioned, you know about it, moving on..... With so much examples of this storytelling, any emotion or atmosphere created is just ruined.

There is also quite a bit of plot holes and applied phlebotinums (movie magic), such as Bruce's crippled state and his cure, backstory on how Wayne Enterprises fell apart, how the reactor came to be as well as how "Miranda Tate" came into the picture. All of these may seem superfluous, but given the storytelling it only makes you feel as if these elements had more to it. It was as if the 2.5 hour movie was cut from an otherwise perfect 4 hr version.

The ending was the product of this storytelling. Never mind the use of comic book deaths, or how Blake becomes the next Batman simply by reading a note and moving to the Batcave. Its the Selina and Bruce romance. I get the symbolism and what Nolan was trying to do, but the execution is p*** poor. There is no romantic tension between the two, or if there was, it was completely one-sided on Selina's side. I am not expecting sex (that was done with Talia), but from the man who made the Rachel romance great, this is a bad U-turn. A romance that was too sudden.

I want to give this movie a mixed, but it doesnt deserve it. Many fans tell me the movie was akin to Begins. If that's the case it is a bad sign; I had completely forgotten Begins and have no incentive to rewatch it like TDK. And even to die-hard Batman fans, lets face it, it is not as great as TDK even without Heath's magic working on it.
  10. Jul 23, 2012
    I have seen two great super hero movies this year; this and Chronicle. Before I saw this movie I was figuring Chronicle was going to be the best of the year. This movie blew that out of the water. It did this basically with pure scale. I have not seen any other super hero that can match this one. This film basically gets everything right. Unlike a recent super hero film The Avengers, TDKRI have seen two great super hero movies this year; this and Chronicle. Before I saw this movie I was figuring Chronicle was going to be the best of the year. This movie blew that out of the water. It did this basically with pure scale. I have not seen any other super hero that can match this one. This film basically gets everything right. Unlike a recent super hero film The Avengers, TDKR is dark. I know that not every one likes a dark film, but I'm not writing this as them. I really did feel tense in this movie. The final sequences are basically on the epic scale of Lord of the Rings. I hope that Super Man is this good. I did see the trailer for that and well it looks like a good film. Expand
  11. Jul 23, 2012
    This movie is great. It has its boring moments but for the most part, it never ever lets down. Only fools will think this movie is good, dummies will think its ok and complete morons will hate it. Rise out of your seat and go see the Dark Knight Rises, now!!!
  12. Jul 23, 2012
    This year the world has been graced by the presence of another Christopher Nolan's master piece. The years past the world been overwhelmed by the story telling and action embedded in a Nolan film, such as Inception and The Dark Knight.

In 2012 the highly anticipated movie The Dark Knight Rises did not disappoint, the action pack 2h 44min blockbuster has set the bar for the rest of the batman film which are to come but also comic book movies in general. This movie is not only the last and final chapter in Nolan's trilogy but also one of the best. The story in the 3rd installment of trilogy really recapture the first two films, this really ended the trilogy "in a full circle" as Christian Bale mentioned. The first 10min of the film really sets out how the rest of the film will play out. The intensity of the film from the very first minute and didn't let go, audiences are trapped in this state of intensity, nervousness and action but also capturing you within this unbelievable story which is layered out so delicately for you to see. The movie is so cleverly crafted that it added unbelievable depth to the story with layers of action, the large scale characters within this film became nesseary to complete this story. The whole journey of the story lead up to a point, the ending which allow audiences are to interpret the way that would like preceive it. like all Nolan batman the movie is so realistic to a point that you could really believe that it might be real, it might have happened and a brilliant man have captured this on film. This movie is seriously unbelievable. I have the pleasure and honor to see it in IMAX, the IMAX experience is like no other. The vase screen really bound u within the film. At no point of the film I found myself in need to check my phone or entertain myself while this scene pass....NO, this movie is the single greatest MASTERPIECE, I was on the edge of my seat every step of the way and that is just incredible. In movies like Iron Man, Spiderman or even Captain America I don't find myself on the edge of the seat, yes those films are funny at some point and fun to watch but they lack realism! This is a really important nature of the film industry, realism and Nolan is able to provide that in every film he makes. Nolan films never lack excitiments or explosions, it embedded good story telling, action and morals in his film and that's why he is claimed to be "The Best Story-teller of this generation!" The Dark Knight Rises surprise me every step of the way, I had no idea where I would lead me and what might happen next. I did went back to see it a the second time and still it's thrilling and exciting, it didn't lose any excitement for me I can go back and see it over and over again and it would still be an absolutely incredible film just like The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight is the best movie in the world for me I saw it 10times in cinemas(no joke) and it was exciting everytime. This movie also been about to provide that incredible Nolan feel and excitement that makes you want to go see it again. No doubt this is tied with The Dark Knight as my favourite films of all time.

I high recommend this movie for all ages. If you are a batman fan, you have to go see it, if you are a Nolan fan definitely go see it, if you are 7 and want to see a movie go see it, if you are looking to see a movie on a romantic date go see this film, if you are bored and want to see a masterpiece go see this movie. There is no flaw that I can pick from this movie, I looked for it but none what so ever. Plus final note, reviews by Chicago Reader and New York Observer are simply untrue may of the stuff they wrote I found to be untrue and not related to the film at all.

So what are you waiting for go see the greatest film of all time!! THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
  13. Jul 23, 2012
    Its these kinds of movies that make me happy for forcing my friends to spend 20$+ to come to watch a movie. I literally almost cried at how great some of the scenes were you can call me a fan boy but can you really blame me. I mean sure the citizens of Gotham rising so readily to bane and fighting for him, and Bane isnt really as good a villian as the joker but the full scale attack onIts these kinds of movies that make me happy for forcing my friends to spend 20$+ to come to watch a movie. I literally almost cried at how great some of the scenes were you can call me a fan boy but can you really blame me. I mean sure the citizens of Gotham rising so readily to bane and fighting for him, and Bane isnt really as good a villian as the joker but the full scale attack on gotham is really an awe to see. Not quite as good as the the dark knight but it makes a good case. Expand
  14. Jul 23, 2012
    This should be added to the list of over hyped movies that sucked. It was not about batman, the movie was about cat woman and robin and a whole lot of useless characters. What a waste of time. Batman had 2 fist fights in the movie, that's all the action you get. He either runs away scared or gets his ass kicked. Watched batman begins and TDK and was really excited to watch this movie. ButThis should be added to the list of over hyped movies that sucked. It was not about batman, the movie was about cat woman and robin and a whole lot of useless characters. What a waste of time. Batman had 2 fist fights in the movie, that's all the action you get. He either runs away scared or gets his ass kicked. Watched batman begins and TDK and was really excited to watch this movie. But the movie just sucked..on par with Prometheus! I did not pay money to watch a sissy batman movie with no action. Period. Expand
  15. Jul 23, 2012
    Astounding! A movie that will have you experience every emotion that you can imagine, from fear to hate to sadness. A fitting end to the greatest trilogy ever made.
  16. Jul 23, 2012
    well the latest batman film from Christopher Nolan is a fantastic experience for batman fans, comic book fans and anyone who into seeing **** explode. the movie has some great moments and great action scenes ( i won't go into detail on these events, due to spoilers) and the ending sure is a reason to see the movie and it wraps up the trilogy perfectly.
  17. Jul 23, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the best movie ever, their is always thing you shall thing twice about and under the whole movie i was entertained, the movie had so many plot twist that ist keep the movie injoignable the whole time, watch the movie if you... oh what is it im saying just watch it because it is a amazing film and you will not regret it :D
  18. Jul 23, 2012
    Unlike The avengers, Batman uses real stunts and real emotion rather than digital effects and flashy lights and green screens. The behind the scenes footage of the movie is mind-blowing, you can really tell they put a lot of hard work into this movie. It also helps that they wait 3-4 years between each movie to make sure they have a good story line.
  19. Jul 23, 2012
    With excitement and pain Nolan ends the trilogy in the most satisfying way possible. Christopher Nolan has made yet another perfect movie. I would not say its better than the dark knight but at the same time I would not say its worse either.. it is as good as the dark knight. This move goes in my list of favorites.
  20. Jul 23, 2012
    The biggest problem with this film is the writing. The dialogue was rife with awkward exposition and a character that was completely comprised of one-liners. Despite this, one gets the feeling that the actors delivered their lines with as much conviction as they could and performances were solid all around (Bale, Levitt and Cotillard are consistent performers), with Tom Hardy's Bane beingThe biggest problem with this film is the writing. The dialogue was rife with awkward exposition and a character that was completely comprised of one-liners. Despite this, one gets the feeling that the actors delivered their lines with as much conviction as they could and performances were solid all around (Bale, Levitt and Cotillard are consistent performers), with Tom Hardy's Bane being the highlight. The notable exception is Anne Hathaway, who was gratingly cheesy as Catwoman, and her performance just didn't fit the tone of the movie at all. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman were sorely underutilized. Too many characters keep us from getting to know any of them well. The movie would have been better if it focused on developing fewer to a greater extent. Okay, so it's not Shakespeare and the dialogue isn't of paramount importance, but much of the action felt a little lazy and uninteresting as well. The bar was set so high with Begins and TDK, and after the fanfare and buzz surrounding this film have died down, it will be viewed as the weakest of an otherwise solid trilogy. It's not to say this movie is all bad, there are definitely some compelling scenes that will deliver the goods to action and drama fans and you can tell that Nolan did have a grand vision with this epic, and though he falters at some places, there is visceral satisfaction where he succeeds. Expand
  21. Jul 23, 2012
    The best film of the decade, it keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time, wondering what's going to happen, great action sequences, though it has minor plot holes and little time development shown - didn't look like 3 months, more like 1 - but, hey no film is perfect... A definite film to go and see!!! May Batman Be With You!!
  22. Jul 23, 2012
    I went and watched this yesterday and while not a bad movie, I found it to be extremely predictable (I saw the "plot-twists" coming from a mile away) and even somewhat boring. IMHO, Bane was also a very boring villain and I feel he could have been portrayed so much better. The only part of the movie I found interesting was Anne Hathaway in the catsuit. Maybe if this movie weren't soI went and watched this yesterday and while not a bad movie, I found it to be extremely predictable (I saw the "plot-twists" coming from a mile away) and even somewhat boring. IMHO, Bane was also a very boring villain and I feel he could have been portrayed so much better. The only part of the movie I found interesting was Anne Hathaway in the catsuit. Maybe if this movie weren't so dumbed-down, I would have found it more enjoyable. Expand
  23. Jul 23, 2012
    This film is absolutely fantastic, and a great ending to one of the best trilogies that Hollywood has ever produced. Anne Hathaway gives a stunning performance as Catwoman, and Tom Hardy is truly menacing as the films villain, Bane. As ever, Michael Caine gives another classic performance, perfectly portraying Alfred Pennyworth. The plot is great, with twists and turns, and a veryThis film is absolutely fantastic, and a great ending to one of the best trilogies that Hollywood has ever produced. Anne Hathaway gives a stunning performance as Catwoman, and Tom Hardy is truly menacing as the films villain, Bane. As ever, Michael Caine gives another classic performance, perfectly portraying Alfred Pennyworth. The plot is great, with twists and turns, and a very unexpected ending. The script writing is excellent, and Banes voice belies his true nature. Overall, this easily one of the best films ever made, and I recommend it to everyone and anyone. Expand
  24. Jul 23, 2012
    Batman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting asBatman: The Dark Knight Rises is a movie that will blow you away> This is a satisfying end to arguable the best superhero movie franchise in history. This movie is grander in scope than the last two, has a sense of what it is, and has superb acting. Tom Hardy as Bane is no Joker, but is a talented actor that is a good choice for Bane. Anne Hathaway surprised me with her great acting as Catwoman, Marion Cotillard was the memorable Miranda Tate, and Michael Caine and definitely Christian Bale have never been better in the franchise. The best new character for me was Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake, who gave a great performance. The story excelled at showing that Batman is human like us, not some Superman or Green Lantern, but a guy just like us, even if he has a bit more money. This is a great end to a great trilogy, and I think it outdoes Spider-Man and the Avengers for best superhero movie of the year. Expand
  25. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There were several problems with this Batman, that being said, it is hard not to enjoy the eye candy and the epicness that is implied makes the movie very fun. My biggest caveat with the film was that Nolan created the most believable superhero and villains to date yet decides to go over the top in this one. There's a point in the movie where Bane takes a physicist to a 'fusion energy' something-or-other generator that Wayne Enterprises built and forces him to make it into a bomb. This takes the physicist about 15 seconds at which point he turns around a says something to the effect of "It's a 5 megaton nuclear bomb now with a blast radius of six miles" Okay fair enough. Unfortunately, I couldn't turn a blind eye to Bane's next action which lured 99% of the cops in Gotham underground at which point Bane blew up the tunnel entrances so they're trapped under the city. Oh yeah he also blows up all the bridges surrounding the city effectively cutting Gotham off from the rest of the world and holds it hostage with the nuke FOR THREE MONTHS! All the while Batman is in a pit somewhere in the Middle East fixing his broken back and trying to climb out of said pit. I think Nolan did himself a huge disservice with "the worst prison in all the world". Firstly, yes it looks pretty **** but then again, the prison Bale was in at the very beginning of Batman Begins looked worse. But worse than this is the climb out.

So this is pit is terrible because you can attempt to climb out seemingly any time you want and that hope creates more despair. The climb looks difficult and this is cool but where this gets so **** is how the prisoners can climb with a rope. When they fall, which they all do, it looks incredibly painful, but I believe without a doubt this would have been better if each person had to climb without the rope so they only had one chance to climb out. Bale falls twice before he's told to climb without the rope "so he feels fear again" which will help him make a difficult jump where everyone falls. Yeah that makes sense and is pretty cool but much of the 'terror' of this climb was already lost and the climax of THE Rise was simply not as powerful as i was hoping it would be. Oh and after this escape Bruce walks down a hill and then disapparates into Gotham to casually meet Hathaway on a street.

Bane critiques? Yes I will mention it, the voice is unacceptably unintelligible a times. That being said I thought the voice sounded so cool and menacing that I feel I broke even on this facet. And I'll state the obvious, he wasn't as good as the joker, no surprise there. And finally, the length and pacing of the movie just seemed...off. Wish I had taken a film class to better explain this but Nolan long windily tries to present to use social issues such as class warfare and Occupy sentiments along with the acute emotions and issues Bruce's vigilante lifestyle has brought forth. While these problems exist, some of which seriously bothered me after the movie (that I desperately wanted to succeed), I still thoroughly enjoyed it but was disappointed it did not meet the (very) high expectations.
  26. Jul 23, 2012
    TDKR begins with a bang and continues throughout as a cinematic masterpiece and one of the most powerful conclusions to any story told on film. While it may not be a perfect film, The Dark Knight Rises is likely the closest thing we will get to that until Christopher Nolan
  27. Jul 23, 2012
    I don't know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan, he makes these great movies with awesome special effects, beautiful cinematography, and poignant dramatic moments and **** them up with convoluted plot twists, multiple story lines, and retiredly complicated scenarios. This movie could have been great, but it ended up being just ok. It was too long and too many things going on reminded meI don't know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan, he makes these great movies with awesome special effects, beautiful cinematography, and poignant dramatic moments and **** them up with convoluted plot twists, multiple story lines, and retiredly complicated scenarios. This movie could have been great, but it ended up being just ok. It was too long and too many things going on reminded me too much of inception. The ending was money, but it didn't make up for the rest of the movie being too long and boring, next time don't try to make 6 movies into one and it will be good. Expand
  28. Jul 23, 2012
    The expectations for this movie were over the top, so it's pretty amazing that it actually lived up to the hype. I won't go over the top and say this is the greatest movie ever made, or even the best movie in the series. I'm not convinced this movie was better than the 2 that preceded it, but it's definitely on par with them, which is an accomplisment in itself. There's a lot going onThe expectations for this movie were over the top, so it's pretty amazing that it actually lived up to the hype. I won't go over the top and say this is the greatest movie ever made, or even the best movie in the series. I'm not convinced this movie was better than the 2 that preceded it, but it's definitely on par with them, which is an accomplisment in itself. There's a lot going on in the movie's nearly 3 hour running time (almost a little too much going on), but it flies by which goes to show how entertaining the movie is. All the new characters are great. Bane is a terrific villian, and the critics who claim he's just a brute with no emotion are idiots. He may not be as exciting as the Joker was, but who honestly expected Tom Hardy to top what Ledger did as the Joker? Bane is certainly more human than the Joker was, and it makes his character all the more thrilling for it. I was genuinely surprised at how great the Catwoman role was. Anne Hathaway seemed like a good choice for the role, but she did better than I expected. Aside from a few campy lines, she was a great addition to the series. Joseph Gordon Levitt was also great as the good guy cop Blake who works alongside Commisioner Gordon. The movie isn't perfect though. Some things were a little too predictable, so some of the "twists" late in the movie are expected. However, it's still a hell of a ride and it would you'd have to be cynical to not enjoy this movie. If this really is the end of this Batman series (and I doubt it will be), than The Dark Knight Rises is a very fitting conclusion to the best superhero trilogy of all time. Expand
  29. Jul 23, 2012
    After seeing the other brilliant films that Christopher Nolan has made, I knew that The Dark Knight Rises would be amazing. I knew it would be brilliant from the moment I found out that it was being made. But I never, ever anticipated the quality of this film.

I won't go into too much detail, but everything is perfect: the story, the effects, the acting...everything has been carefully considered and used to masterful effect.

The story is excellent, and culminates in one of the best, if not the best, film endings I've ever seen. Anne Hathaway is the perfect actress to portray Catwoman, and while Tom Hardy's performance doesn't match Heath Ledger's, it is nonetheless brilliant and his Bane is a very different villain from those previously seen in Batman films. It goes without saying that this intelligent, sinister Bane is hundreds of miles ahead of the stupid, emotionally soulless character featured in Joel Schumacher's....'Batman' film.

In conclusion, this is the greatest superhero film, let alone Batman film, ever created, and well up there with the all-time greatest films. This dark, exciting epic makes the recent Marvel films look silly and childish. Everyone should see this film, and will be celebrated by film critics and audiences alike as one of the greatest films ever made for years to come. A masterpiece.
  30. Jul 23, 2012
    The Dark Knight is Risible.
    Almost every scene was either utter nonsense or so boring that it felt like my entire day was being swallowed up in this mire.
    A massive problem for me is Bane, not just that he's nothing like the comic-book character but his voice is even more comical than Batman's - he sounds exactly like the Narrator from Diablo! Bane's fights with Batman are terrible
    The Dark Knight is Risible.
    Bane's fights with Batman are terrible because Nolan still cannot direct brawling scenes. He barely even tries this time and seems to have gone back to his original tactic of cutting away or just plain hiding the action behind intervening characters.
    I can think of 2-3 decent moments but for the vasty majority of the film I was just hoping it would improve or just end. Nolan was obviously sick-to-death of the characters and seemed to want the audience to go out feeling the same way.
  31. dz9
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan has risen to the challenge to try to top his own success from Dark Knight, he may not get close to tying it but he gets close enough. Let's start with the bad.. In The Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan has seemed so focused on creating such a in-reality gritty film that he forgot that he was making a Batman movie. The gritty real feeling of the movie was great in all,Christopher Nolan has risen to the challenge to try to top his own success from Dark Knight, he may not get close to tying it but he gets close enough. Let's start with the bad.. In The Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan has seemed so focused on creating such a in-reality gritty film that he forgot that he was making a Batman movie. The gritty real feeling of the movie was great in all, but at the end of the day, people want to see Batman's plethora of gadgets and stealth... none of which was fulfilled. This really makes you realize what Heath Ledger's Joker brought to the movie, his fun randomness and comedy left a huge hole in the movie and in it's place was another gritty straight forward villain that doesn't feel anywhere close to being fleshed out as the Joker. In this film, you only see about 30 minutes of Batman and only his first few scenes feel like Batman... the rest felt like a generic hero that dresses like Batman. Another fault of the movie is the fact that it spends way to much time developing its own plot. We're already in the finale of the trilogy, we didn't need 2/3 of the movie used for developing. You'll never truly feel bored watching it, but you'll definitely notice it dragging on and you'll just wish you could see more Batman and less of the drama. The last major fault is the fact that Bruce Wayne's new love interest felt extremely forced, before you even know who she is Bruce Wayne has already fell in love with her beyond a reasonable doubt and your expected to just accept it. Of course they're is some plot holes that will leave you scratching your head but they're never serious enough to break the movie. However, this movie also has a lot going for it. The art direction Nolan takes is breath taking, and the plot twists will make your jaw drop. They're are definitely a few slow parts that will make you check your watch here and there but this movie always keeps you interested in its plot. And although not as on par as the Joker, Tom Hardy's Bane is a great menacing villain who may seem ridiculous at first but will grow on you as the movie goes along. Another strength to the movie is the chemistry between the actors. Despite the movie's plot, the actors' definitely knew this was the finale and they all brought their A game. The interactions between the actors, particularly between Ann Hathaway and Christian Bale, were fantastic. And yes... Nolan does put a magnificent ending to such an overall amazing series. In The End: This is an amazing film, but its just not quite a great Batman adaptation. It worries so much about developing this gritty realistic tone that it forgets that its about a man dressed like a bat wearing a cape. You wish you would've seen more Batman action than this 3 hour long drama fest. 7.7/10 Expand
  32. Jul 23, 2012
    This was the least enjoyable of the trilogy. It all starts with Baine. He is a villian that need to be in a slasher film not a comic book film. He is too grim with no personality that you desire to have much film time. The Joker was a villian where you desired a lot of film time. One of my criticisms of the last film was that the lack of one on one time with Batman and the Joker. Too muchThis was the least enjoyable of the trilogy. It all starts with Baine. He is a villian that need to be in a slasher film not a comic book film. He is too grim with no personality that you desire to have much film time. The Joker was a villian where you desired a lot of film time. One of my criticisms of the last film was that the lack of one on one time with Batman and the Joker. Too much of the action takes place in daylight or in grim settings. What happened to the extravagence of the world of Bruce Wayne? That is replaced by the sewer? One was always looking forward to the next scene in the other two movies but not here. One was also disappointed by the lack of freshness. The batmobile and the batcopter seemed worn out. The series seemed worn out. Nolan gets great credit for the trilogy but he runs out of gas here. This was a blue collar Batman. Expand
  33. Jul 23, 2012
    the best the best the best movie on 2012 bec Director:
    Christopher Nolan waoo is good Director ! and he is have some good thing ! The best thing that Batman back to the path of the right !
  34. Jul 23, 2012
    You have to respect that Chistopher Nolan was hesitant about returning to the batman franchise unless he came up with a satisfactory ending. He did. From the opening scene to the final shot, the pace never falters, the set pieces are jaw dropping, and Tom Hardy as Bane is absolutely terrifying. The supporting cast is remarkable, especially Michael Caine who gives one of his greatestYou have to respect that Chistopher Nolan was hesitant about returning to the batman franchise unless he came up with a satisfactory ending. He did. From the opening scene to the final shot, the pace never falters, the set pieces are jaw dropping, and Tom Hardy as Bane is absolutely terrifying. The supporting cast is remarkable, especially Michael Caine who gives one of his greatest performances to date. The ending is simply incredible, every character gets a great end to their story arc, (especially Joseph Gordon-Levitt), and there is a total sense of closure, no loose threads, no plot holes, just complete closure. While some might find Bane a slightly less engaging villain than Heath's Joker, the movie itself, too me at least, easily takes the title of the greatest super hero film in not only the Nolan trilogy, but one of the absolutely greatest films ever made. Expand
  35. Jul 23, 2012
    Nolan ends his Batman trilogy in spectacular. TDKR is on a much grander scale than before with much higher stakes. So it makes sense that this is the most action-heavy of the three. Above all else the movie is a definite crowd pleaser. It succeeds at being a blockbuster with a relentless pace and fantastic set pieces while also giving us characters with real depth and an engaging story.Nolan ends his Batman trilogy in spectacular. TDKR is on a much grander scale than before with much higher stakes. So it makes sense that this is the most action-heavy of the three. Above all else the movie is a definite crowd pleaser. It succeeds at being a blockbuster with a relentless pace and fantastic set pieces while also giving us characters with real depth and an engaging story. It may not match the bar set by The Dark Knight but it remains a more than fitting conclusion to the saga. Expand
  36. Jul 23, 2012
    The sombre tone of the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises defines the rest of the film as an absolutely drop-dead spectacular capper to the the best superhero trilogy ever made. The film has enough spectacle, emotional depths and peaks and pure ambitious scale to overcome the fact that this film is no 'The Dark Knight' but still provides a satisfying, Nolan-esque climaxed ending to theThe sombre tone of the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises defines the rest of the film as an absolutely drop-dead spectacular capper to the the best superhero trilogy ever made. The film has enough spectacle, emotional depths and peaks and pure ambitious scale to overcome the fact that this film is no 'The Dark Knight' but still provides a satisfying, Nolan-esque climaxed ending to the epic Batman trilogy that exemplifies modern masterful filmmaking. Expand
  37. Jul 23, 2012
    The dark knight rises is a kind of film which blows your mind ........ keeps u engaged for the entire 2 hr 45 min with its emotions and the storyline i can say that those 2 hr 45 min were the best 2 hr 45 min of my entire life nolan created another masterpiece truly an epic conclusion to the dark knight legend and i liked it even more than the dark knight this is the best movie of the year
  38. Jul 23, 2012
    It is not our own fault, as a collective audience, that the third film in the trilogy is often so pressurised into being a fantastic, ugly and plot-less mess. We get overexcited and speculate endlessly and wildly about the plot and twists of the film to the extent where the creators are left with no option but to go hell for leather and overload, over-complicate and overextend themselvesIt is not our own fault, as a collective audience, that the third film in the trilogy is often so pressurised into being a fantastic, ugly and plot-less mess. We get overexcited and speculate endlessly and wildly about the plot and twists of the film to the extent where the creators are left with no option but to go hell for leather and overload, over-complicate and overextend themselves when it comes to actually making the damned thing! Nolan has in the past provided massively entertaining well written, scripted and directed works of cinema, (TDK, Inception and YES prestige) I do not doubt his talent.

TDKR was not one of them, the dialogue lacked the wit and pithy impact of the previous film to the point where everything felt rushed and miscued. The plot 'twists' were obvious, unnecessary and entirely un-intriguing. The action scenes were fine, a little drab although I appreciate the 'broken Batman' concept. Bane was good and would have appeared better if the rest of the plot had stood well around him. A suitably frightening bad guy I loved the voice and the interactions between him and his army (although why they are so willing to die at his command is never fully explained). The prison scene could have worked in another film, similar to Batman Begins for example, but were an irritating and contrived side plot, especially the whole rock climbing bit (was this the key scene? Not sure). Give a director enough budget and he will drop your expectations through a trapdoor.
  39. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning contains spoilers! Questionable choices made by the director in this plot the feel of the movie was very much like the others which is good but 'Bane' as the main badie always left a question mark over my head when I saw the trailers when there are much more complex characters in the batman saga. I did enjoy how bane was acted his voice was strange but very much what has been heard of before in cartoons and games. However none of his back story was explained why did he get hooked up to a blood transfusion in the underground base he had why did he have the mask that made him sound so strange? Bane in the comics is supposed to be smart, intelligent and the Venom he uses makes him super strong not enough back story for this prominent leading character. Also where was Batman "the world greatest detective" that we had seen in the previous films, using expensive innovative detective methods was exchanged for big explosions and the bat plane. Ra's al ghul plot of bane completing his work because he his his supposed son only for everyone to find out its actually Talia was predictable to anyone who know the comics, has played any of the games and can spot bad acting!, Right from when she first gets introduced she, its easily to tell shes not who she says she is. This film is entertaining but frustrating if you are a fan Expand
  40. Jul 23, 2012
    The wait was fruitful as I saw the movie on the very first of its release. The movie will add laurels to the career of Nolan and I want to thank him for presenting my best comic hero so well on screen. TDKR is a well thought end to the series and the way Nolan has innovated the background of the characters, be it Cat woman or be it Robin,is commendable.Now on not only I am a big fan ofThe wait was fruitful as I saw the movie on the very first of its release. The movie will add laurels to the career of Nolan and I want to thank him for presenting my best comic hero so well on screen. TDKR is a well thought end to the series and the way Nolan has innovated the background of the characters, be it Cat woman or be it Robin,is commendable.Now on not only I am a big fan of Batman but also of Nolan, the year brain behind this awesome series which will always be remembered by movie and batman lovers.One more important thing was the way in which the three parts were connected with each other. Every character has its importance and series couldn't be thought of as a success if any one the characters is removed. Such was the level of brainstorming involved in the project. Hats off to the maker and the actors Expand
  41. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I won't go into superlatives, simply pros and cons.

Pros:
    1) Performances all round are exceptional. Bale dials back the voice and portrays a broken Bruce/Batman very well, Oldman (Commissioner Gordon) and Caine (Alfred the Butler) are as strong and dependable as ever, and there are fantastic performances from newcomers Anne Hathaway (a revelation as Catwoman), Marion Cotillard (Miranda Tate), Tom Hardy (a physical beast as Bane) and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in particular as city-cop John Blake. Well done to those who guessed where he ends up.
    2) Action sequences are thrilling throughout (from opening plane-hijacking to city-wide end chase/brawl via brutal fight between our hero and villain), both in terms of effects, pacing and execution.
    3) For me, the ending(s) were very nice indeed.

Cons:
    1) As has been much publicised by others, I had real trouble hearing some of the dialogue - particularly when Bane was speaking quietly. There was one conversation in the middle of the film where he and Batman were almost murmuring to each other under an ill-advised loud moment in the otherwise excellent score by Hans Zimmer.
    2) Morgan Freeman doesn't get much to do, although adding time for him might have stretched the film a bit too far.
    3) Whilst I don't necessarily agree, I can understand the small complaints that it takes a bit of time to get going.

Conclusion:
    The film would be great as a stand-alone film, but as a trilogy ender it's an absolute belter. There aren't many action trilogies to match it - including the original Star Wars trilogy in my opinion - and we are unlikely to see another superhero story like it for many, many years.
  42. Jul 23, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises doesn't nearly rise up to the superiority of its predecessor but it still has tension, stronger emotions and a fitting conclusion to a remarkable trilogy." So is it possible for something 'GREAT' to be exactly the same again but even better? Almost. The first Batman movie of this trilogy was completely original; it had the audience in a complete shock. It was"The Dark Knight Rises doesn't nearly rise up to the superiority of its predecessor but it still has tension, stronger emotions and a fitting conclusion to a remarkable trilogy." So is it possible for something 'GREAT' to be exactly the same again but even better? Almost. The first Batman movie of this trilogy was completely original; it had the audience in a complete shock. It was atmospheric: dark alleys, tattooed train stations, heavy rain pouring on a 'Ghetto' city/district called Gotham. Gotham is where everything is taken place...(coughs) Manhattan. It also introduced us into a world of corruption and injustice (sound at all familiar). In which judges were paid off, drug dealers sold more drugs and the criminals roam freely among the streets. 'Batman Begins' introduced us to Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale), Rachel (Katie Holmes), Alfred (Michael Caine), Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman), Commissioner Gordon (Gary Oldman) and Ra's Al Ghul (played by "gotta-watch-the-movie). The whole movie introduced us to Batman, how he became Batman, an evil villain who wants to destroy Gotham City by way of chemical drugs that will make you hallucinate the worst of your fears. 'Batman Begins' was incredible and I thought that Christopher Nolan did an excellent job with the execution. Batman Begins: a Summer flick that has special effects, great performances, terrifying tension and brains. -8.8
    The Dark Knight was 10x greater than the first. It's not the normal, clean-cut villain with a will, "want to take over the world." This Joker (played brilliantly by Heath Ledger) is sick, twisted and psychopathic. He literally defines the word 'evil.' The Dark Knight came out as an unexpected experience because the Joker is a freak and he would blow up anyone and anything, a hospital even. He simply "...has no motive"-Alfred. The Joker can kick any horror villain's ass. He is that complex ("You wanna know how I got these scars?!")and no doubt, he can mind-twist the jigsaw to the point in which Mr. Rosy Cheeks is strapped to a seat with running gasoline and a time bomb. I loved The Dark Knight! The performances were top notch, Mr. Ledger especially. Christian Bale has a good voice but when he turns into the Batman, it sounds...eh.
    -9.5
    *unbelievable score by Hans Zimmer who scored the more tense scenes and James Newton Howard who scored emotional and ethereal tracks. I am a fan for both of their music. So comes the final conclusion, The Dark Knight Rises. The tension still felt like you're having a heart attack, like the other two. The performances are great (Anne Hathaway, I am surprised) until Batman goes, "WHERES THE TRIGGER?!!!!" The villain however, isn't as great as the Joker because his motives were so obvious. He wanted to destroy Gotham just like Ra's Al Ghul. Banes presence however, is terrifying. It's remarkable how eyes can have so much impact even though his voice can sometimes throw you off (Sean Connery). It's bigger, bolder and has more action (special effects are amazing) but sadly, I wish it were more profound. It's still entertaining but it didn't leave me with a long impression or that 'wow' feeling I got from the second one. It did look like the director had to cut off some scenes due to the time, some scenes didn't match at all. The big battle seemed conventional but I did have a bloody good time watching it. The ending was by far the best endings I've ever seen in the past year (surpasses his earlier work 'Inception'); it was something that The Dark Knight lacked in. However, I do give Christopher Nolan credit for providing a moral to this story which the story traces back to the first film. Overall, I had an awesome premiere-night/morning with family and friends but I felt so depressed about the whole incident in Colorado. May we all pray for the families who lost a loved one in that horrific shooting.
    -8.7
  43. Jul 23, 2012
    Being a fan of the batman trilogy I was kind of skeptical when I saw the trailers. A man in a gas mask? Doesn't seem too scary. But after watching this I was blown away. Blown away by the actors and actresses performances, the stunts, and the awesome explosions. Anne Hathaway surprisingly pulled off catwomen really well which at first i didn't think she could do I loved everything aboutBeing a fan of the batman trilogy I was kind of skeptical when I saw the trailers. A man in a gas mask? Doesn't seem too scary. But after watching this I was blown away. Blown away by the actors and actresses performances, the stunts, and the awesome explosions. Anne Hathaway surprisingly pulled off catwomen really well which at first i didn't think she could do I loved everything about this movie, well maybe not everything...I didn't absolutely love the ending but it was pretty good. Now all I want is Christian Bale kicking more butt on the big screen!
    I hope that there will be another Batman movie in the future!
  44. Jul 23, 2012
    An absolutely breathtaking end to an amazing trilogy. Without spoiling anything, I was left with a tear in my eye, lump in my throat and goose bumps all over towards the final scenes in this movie. Ignore the negative reviews, there are faults with everything if you look for them hard enough. Go and see this movie and make up your own conclusion, you owe it to yourself.
  45. Jul 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A bitter disappointment and awful ending to a brilliant trilogy, the movie was so boring and lengthy that I considered to leave the cinema. The script was predictable at some points and the acting was so poor amongst some of the actors. Anne Hathaway was horrible, she was not convincing at all and her outfit looked like a cheap halloween costume. Bane, the main villain of this movie was killed in a split second and everything was forgotten about him, that's it. It's like the script writers wanted this movie to end quickly as possible at this point of the movie. The actress playing Miranda who appears to be Ra's Al Ghul's daughter Talia should get the award for worst death presentation, it was some of the worst acting I have ever seen, you can tell that she is acting. It's like she is taking a nap for crying out loud. Blake who appears to be Robin gets access to the Batman cave and all the high tech stuff that is in there, but he didn't recieve any training at all so he wouldn't know how to use it. Robin is just an ordinary cop in this movie with no combat skills, yet Bruce Wayne gives away the cave to him and settles down with the supposed Catwoman. Expand
  46. Jul 23, 2012
    One of the best endings to a trilogy in history, the first film was more like a horror, the second; crime, the third; epic. And that's exactly what the film is; epic. The set pieces are phenomenal, all the gadgets and car chases will have you excited and on the edge of your seat, plus the story is pure genius. Unlike the others, this story has a massive scope, and I wont give away what itOne of the best endings to a trilogy in history, the first film was more like a horror, the second; crime, the third; epic. And that's exactly what the film is; epic. The set pieces are phenomenal, all the gadgets and car chases will have you excited and on the edge of your seat, plus the story is pure genius. Unlike the others, this story has a massive scope, and I wont give away what it is, but unlike The Dark Knight, its massive. Bane provides a fitting villain, he's for one pretty scary and two a perfect choice for the film, his brute strength and brilliant mind provides Batman with one of his toughest villains. Tom Hardy is also very good in the role, obviously he cannot beat Heath Ledger as The Joker, but Hardy portrays Bane as sinister and an uncaring almost beast. As mentioned unlike the first two films in Nolans trilogy, this time he creates a film that you will enjoy more and more upon multiple villain, for there are so few slow scenes, the whole films is high tension and fast paced, and the budget must of inflated from the first, for if anyone has seen he trailer think that's it, believe me it not. Anne Hathaway is arguably the best Catwoman yet, she is a real femme fatale and is not the sexy Michelle Pfeiffer, but a Catwoman we really care for and can't wait to see, any of her fight scenes are almost better than Batman himself, but she fits so well in this film. She provides a sort of narrative device for the film, and if not for her other scnes would not occur. Her sub plot also fits very well, and we want to see her achieve it, and I'm so glad they put Hathaway in the final film and no other. There is obvious flaws in the film, especially where some scenes feel as if they are treading the same ground as Batman Begins, but this is only because The Dark Knight was so different to the original, but Dark Knight Rises is very different for as I mentioned this is simply an action-war-epic. And even if the middle is slower compared to the beginning and phenomenal end, the end and beginning make up for it, and the middle is still superb cinema! Something else many argue is the use of too many characters, but they really do fit, and Gordon Levitt works well as Blake, and Cotillard may seem pointless for a majority of the film, but by the end becomes a key character. Yes, there are too many characters for a final film where there should be fewer but they all get a character development. This truly is a perfect finale for one of the best trilogies of all time, and the only reason people are complaining is because the bar was set so high by The Dark Knight, but this truly is a wonderful, magnificent film full of twists and turns and a perfect, fitting ending that you will not forget. Expand
  47. Jul 23, 2012
    the more i think about this movie, the more i like it. seeing it once is just an introduction to the story and the characters. the journey REALLY starts on viewing number 2, where you can piece together everything that this movie is doing. All of the shades of grey it tries to paint.
  48. Jul 23, 2012
    This is a must-see movie. The Dark Knight Rises is probably the best movie of 2012. The Avengers and a bunch of films pale when compared to The Dark Knight Rises. Christopher Nolan is a very good story teller. The cast and the whole crew did a splendid job. Some moviegoers have doubts about Anne Hathaway but I think she's better than all right. The movie started with tense actions,This is a must-see movie. The Dark Knight Rises is probably the best movie of 2012. The Avengers and a bunch of films pale when compared to The Dark Knight Rises. Christopher Nolan is a very good story teller. The cast and the whole crew did a splendid job. Some moviegoers have doubts about Anne Hathaway but I think she's better than all right. The movie started with tense actions, followed by smooth plots, and then climbed all the way up with non-stop, fast-paced, tense, exciting, breathless actions and plots till the very end of the movie. The Dark Knight Rises is also the best of the Batman trilogy. This is the movie you don't want to miss. Don't wait until DVD/BD is released. Catch it in the theater now. Expand
  49. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Saw The Dark Knight Rises last night. Such a great movie. I'm gonna mini-review it with no spoilers. Better than Batman Begins and The Dark Knight? It's so hard to say. Each movie seems so different and I love each one. The whole 3rd act of this movie is just insane. The returning cast was amazing as usual. Anne Hathaway was so good as Selina Kyle and I absolutely loved Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Tom Hardy was great as Bane in every way except for his voice. It just did not work for me. It wasn't totally distracting, it just sounded almost cartoon-ish. Bane and Batman's fight scenes where brutal as hell. I just wish Batman would have used his gadgets a bit more. That's how Batman beats all these foes that physically out match him. The IMAX looked absolutely gorgeous and I totally recommend seeing it in IMAX. I just don't think it was used better than Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. The IMAX in MI4 was used so perfectly because it totally sucked you in and completely enhanced the scenes. During the whole Dubai sequence, you actually felt like you where up there with Ethan Hunt. TDKR just used the IMAX to make everything look absolutely stunning.

ALRIGHT NOW I'M GOING INTO FULL SPOILER MODE. I'M GONNA TALK ABOUT THE MIND BLOWING ENDING IN FULL DETAIL! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

I LOVED the ending. Mouth hanging open the whole time. From the moment Miranda Tate revelaed herself to be Talia al Ghul all the way up to the very ende with Alfred spotting Selina and Bruce. I loved every second of it.

Lets start with MIranda Tate. I had heard the rumors about her being Talia and I totally felt that she would end up being her. So the whole time I was watching her like a hawk trying to spot anything that would give her away. So during the siege of Gotham I'm thinking "Damn, maybe she won't be Talia because you figure she would have revealed herself by now." And then right before she revealed herself she had on this outfit that seemed very Talia like and I'm like "Oh **** here it comes, and then BAM! The big reveal! Even knowing she was going to become Talia I still loved it. I can't wait to here what people who had no idea thought about it. And btw, Marion Cotillard was so good as Talia al Ghul.

Then there is the ending where Batman flies the nuke out to sea and sacrifices himself to save the city. I didn't catch on to the whole Auto-pilot thing so I thought Bruce Wayne really died. I went in to the movie thinking Nolan would kill him off. So before we all found out Bruce Wayne was still alive I'm thinking to myself "Holy **** DC has done it. They have just created the perfect way to kick-off there DC Movie-verse and lead into the Avengers!"

So this is why I think DC has just created the perfect begging to there DC Movie-verse. Think about it. The hero of a city just sacrificed himself in the most selfless way. The city hated Batman for YEARS and then all of sudden he dies for them. How inspiring is that? So inspiring that Clark Kent hears of this selfless act that he become a hero! And then Diana of Themiscyra! And The Flash! And all the other DC Heroes! Then they come together and become THE FRIGGIN JUSTICE LEAGUE!

It's perfect to because Bruce Wayne is still alive! He can come back and pick up the mantle again! John Blake aka ROBIN (That reveal totally blew me away) can be the Batman or even Nightwing for awhile and then Bruce can come back whenever. And here's the thing, it doesn't have to be Christian Bale. This is where studios need to learn that we don't need reboots. They need to start looking at Superhero movies the same way they look at the Bond movies. Keep the characters story going but just swap out actors. Just because Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan have told the story they wanted to tell, that doesn't mean we need a reboot explaining Batman's origin again. The only movie I would see DC rebooting is Green Lantern. The tone of that movie doesn't gel with the tone that Nolan's Trilogy and The Man of Steel has established.

Let's just hope DC takes advantage of this amazing set-up and doesn't reboot Batman.
  50. Jul 22, 2012
    It isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so. This is one of those films. I felt personally connected to all of the characters, did not see the ending coming, and was fully engrossed throughoutIt isn't very often that a film takes to the time to develop characters, their motivation, and the setting for the viewer to understand the who, what, and why. When a film does this, it needs to be complimented and acknowledged for doing so. This is one of those films. I felt personally connected to all of the characters, did not see the ending coming, and was fully engrossed throughout the 2-1/2 hours. Awesome conclusion to an unforgettable story. Expand
  51. Jul 22, 2012
    About myth and hope, and how sometimes we need our myths; and sometimes the few may need to sacrafice themselves for the many, the good and bad, mythic or not. Regardless, I can't remember what happened at the end. For me, it's equal to the the Dark Knight. A bit more talking and less laughter. But Bane doesn't need to live up to the last villain, he could care less about him. Only theAbout myth and hope, and how sometimes we need our myths; and sometimes the few may need to sacrafice themselves for the many, the good and bad, mythic or not. Regardless, I can't remember what happened at the end. For me, it's equal to the the Dark Knight. A bit more talking and less laughter. But Bane doesn't need to live up to the last villain, he could care less about him. Only the Dark Knight needs to live up to his former self, and this he struggles with. Expand
  52. Jul 22, 2012
    An epic ending to a masterclass trilogy. if viewed as individual films ' The Dark Knight ' has a slight edge over ' The Dark Knight Rises ', but as a culmination of a series the movie is the best superhero movie of all time.
  53. Jul 22, 2012
    A powerhouse ending, beautiful story and thematic intensity make the final Dark Knight film a triumph. Nolan end his trilogy in grand fashion, taking heavy risks and succeeds in asking the audience to look at an apocalyptic threat to Gotham City. The film doesn't always have the crispness in dialogue, or tight packaging in the action sequences of its predecessors, but the emotionalA powerhouse ending, beautiful story and thematic intensity make the final Dark Knight film a triumph. Nolan end his trilogy in grand fashion, taking heavy risks and succeeds in asking the audience to look at an apocalyptic threat to Gotham City. The film doesn't always have the crispness in dialogue, or tight packaging in the action sequences of its predecessors, but the emotional investment is far greater with Bruce Wayne's willingness to sacrifice himself to save Gotham, finally paying dividends in unexpected ways. It is awesome in IMAX Expand
  54. Jul 22, 2012
    I will try to keep this review as spoiler free as possible for those of you haven't seen the movie yet. This movie was definitely the perfect ending for the greatest superhero movie franchise of all time. The movie starts with batman in retirement after the Harvey Dent incident, but he then decides he must come back to stop the threat of bane. The thing I was really impressed with was howI will try to keep this review as spoiler free as possible for those of you haven't seen the movie yet. This movie was definitely the perfect ending for the greatest superhero movie franchise of all time. The movie starts with batman in retirement after the Harvey Dent incident, but he then decides he must come back to stop the threat of bane. The thing I was really impressed with was how epic the movie felt on every level. Epic fights, epic themes, epic characterization and best of all epic set-pieces. The only bad thing I can say about this movie is that the pacing is a little of in the middle of the movie, but only because they are trying to build towards the epic climax that will leave you speechless. The people in the theater I watched the movie with literally clapped when it was over, and for good reason. It was because they knew that they had just witnessed cinema greatness so go see this movie now and experience it for yourself! Expand
  55. Jul 22, 2012
    It's the best movie I've seen. Magnificent performances, nolan IMAX uses very well. Spectacular. Bale, Anne and Hardy are great. No one should miss. 10/10
  56. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, have you seen "The Dark Knight Rises" yet? Well quit what you're doing right now, and go see it--For this is a more than just another Batman movie. The reason "Batman Begins" was so good is because it led up to "The Dark Knight". Well this third installment of the "Dark Knight Trilogy"is exhilarating. Not only does "Rises" live up to the hype, the hype actually made Gotham feel like a real city before the movie was even made. It made it appear as if Gotham was indeed about to be under attack by the monstrous Bane played by Tom Hardy. With that said, the plot is "Inception" like with its subtle intricacies that we simply cannot process in only one sitting. This may have frustrated the critics who believe the plot was too complex. They. Are. Wrong. Tom Hardy's Bane is what Bane deserved to be turned into. Michael Schumacher's Bane tarnished one of Batman's coolest and interesting foes. The "Rises" Bane is exactly what we wanted to see. Sure, Joker and Scarecrow did cool tricks to mess with our dark hero; but Bane serves up a can of popcorn-worthy-kickass so big that my jaw literally dropped. This is what you've been waiting for--a villain for Batman that punches through bricks and collapses men's throats in one second. The fighting is accompanied by some very interesting dialect as well. Hardy's voice is so entrancing that we have no choice but to gulp when he and batman come face to face. He sounds like a gentleman, but hits like a bruiser. Nolan delivers a villain that scares us--not because of the way he looks--but because he does what the Joker could not: He beats the living hell out of Batman. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's John Blake's story encapsulates what we want in a young newbie to the franchise: someone with the moral compass of the movie. Someone who guides us in our interpretation of the storyline. Michael Caine is back with some spunk, and we see much more of Morgan Freeman than ever (which is pretty awesome, too). Oh, and, uhh, Catwoman? Hathaway does something spectacular. She transforms one of Batman's most celebrated villains? allies? or both? into a believable creation of a "Cat" identity. She doesn't attract cats, and she doesn't have a tail (Thank god). But she is both sexually enticing as well as violently cruel. She brings what few actresses could to the table. We are very aware of the consequences of her actions in the film, and it made me happy to see her role as something far more expansive than I could have imagined. If you go and see this movie, do not expect the psychological thrill that The Joker gave us. It can't be redone, and it will probably never be redone. What you will see is something far more emotional than The Dark Knight. What we have here is the rebirth after the perpetual life and death of Batman in "Begins" and "Dark Knight". Nolan never stops hammering away at plot movements, and puts forth some very complicated yet very important ideas here. 9/10 here folks. I don't give it a 10/10 because that is what "The Dark Knight" deserves. Batman is the hero Gotham deserves, as well as the one it needs in this final installment of the "Dark Knight Trology, and I can't wait to see it again! Expand
  57. Jul 22, 2012
    Though Tom Hardy can not best Heath Ledgers performance as Batman's villain of the hour,(or in TDKR case three hours) He played Bane amazingly with a lot of menace to his acting. My only issue was sometimes it was difficult to make out what he was saying due to the Darth Vader mask.

There are bits of the film which feel like they drag on a bit but because of the top notch acting, I never felt bored. This film is a must see. I can't decide whether this surpasses TDK, I also can't decide if I enjoyed this more then Prometheus but that is for another discussion.
    NOW GO WATCH THIS MOVIE!!!
  58. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After watching The Dark Knight, I knew right away that Rises wasn't going to top it. That was the mentality that I had going into the theater, hoping to be pleasantly surprised, yet expecting, at the very least, a satisfying conclusion. I got neither. To put it simply, this was both underwhelming and dumb. The movie opens with an entirely too elaborate plane heist for what amounted to the abduction of some arbitrary nuclear physicist that doesn't become relevant again until halfway in, only to be killed off just as soon as his importance is explained. If you really think about it, he wasn't necessary. All it really amounts to is some pithy moment at the football stadium where Bane establishes that the physicist was the only person capable of decommissioning a bomb, then kills him immediately to shock everyone. That was **** stupid because he wasn't even in Gotham before he was abducted, but I know everyone else in the audience was mesmerized and got chills. Idiots. Speaking of which, Bane's voice was impossible to understand and surprisingly wimpy sounding behind that mask. Maybe it's just me, but I seriously had no clue what he was saying when he talked in the microphone, further distorting his already hard to comprehend voice. Honestly, the movie jumps from plot point to plot point so quickly that you barely get the gist of what is going on before the shot changes again. Something else that was noticeably absent was the grittiness of the first movies. The emotions felt more genuine in the first two movies, whereas the acting in Rises felt phoned in. No one character really gets a whole lot of screen time. You don't get a chance to give a damn about them before the scene ends. Lotta plot holes in this movie, too. First, the movie establishes that Bruce Wayne has no cartilage in his knees any longer for some reason, forcing him to walk around with a cane. That's remedied by a quick scene showing him using high tech joint support devices that solve this problem while also enhancing his strength to the point that he can break through stone without effort, but then as Batman, he gets the case of the stupids and gets his dumb bat ass kicked by Bane, captured and stripped of his Bat Suit as well as joint support gadgetry, and abandoned in some underground prison. Not only that, his back is broken. So, magically, he's cured of his joint problems with absolutely no explanation, and being hung by a rope fixes his broken back. Dumb. Catwoman barely has any screen time, and arbitrarily wears a fetish leather suit with goggles later in the movie. Also she is an implied lesbian/bisexual with the scant couple of scenes and dialogue with her blonde friend or perhaps roommate. It's not really explained or necessary, but does it really matter? You're not doing the math when all you can think about is sex, are you stupid? Robin is a cop who actually doesn't help the situation even one god damn time. Nothing he does actually affects anything, so I have no clue why he's in the movie other than for the one line where someone tells him he should use his full name, "Robin." Wow, was that supposed to shock me? You think I didn't know who he was supposed to be? Oh, and somehow Batman is able to fly a nuclear bomb out to sea with his Bat copter thing with only 40 seconds left on the timer, then escapes from a 6 mile blast radius, when just two scenes before we see him just barely outflying tank missiles inside the city. The movie even confirms he somehow did this by indicating that he flew his copter back to Luscious' weapons depot without being noticed. I found this movie very hard to watch because of how brain-dead it was. This movie obviously wasn't meant for me. It was meant for morons with 3 second attention spans. Frankly, I'm shocked more people aren't pissed. Expand
  59. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this film midnight on July 19th as part of the Dark Knight marathon, showing all three films in a row. I can honestly say this made the experience even better because it let me in on the fact that the Dark Knight trilogy is the "Star Wars" trilogy of this generation. In my eyes, a trilogy should end with no more questions, everything answered and wrapped up, with only your imagination with "what happened" next when it's all said and done, and this trilogy did just that. I only wish that the Hollywood system would produce more stories like this onto the thousands of screens across the world. Time to break down my favorite aspects of the Dark Knight Rises film. First off, the ending. Batman (Christian Bale) latches onto a nuke and starts up The Bat to take it out of Gotham before it blows, but before he does, he gives a small hint to Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) that reveals just who Batman is to Jim, who says to himself in a chilling moment "Bruce Wayne?". Then, as Batman has the bomb safely away from the city, it blows up. In such an emotional moment of the film, you can't help by get that feeling in your throat as the Dark Knight sacrifices himself to save the city that was almost doomed. That feeling becomes stronger as Alfred (Michael Caine) stands over the grave of Bruce Wayne, and weaps. Almost in tears with what happens, your heart begins to beat a bit faster when Jim Gorden discovers a new Bat signal, as you get a small bit of confusion, a feeling takes over you...that feeling is Hope. Alfred sits down in a cafe in Italy, the same as the dream he explained earlier in the film, and looks up and smiles, you know exactly what's coming next and you cannot help but smile as it reveals Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle, happy as can be. I had cold chills throughout this ending and I couldn't control the emotion driving through my body. There could not have been a better ending to this film. Film is all about feeling something, and being almost in tears for a sad reason one minute, and then smiling and crying like a small child the next, is an indescribably feeling. It will be a long time until I feel this about a film again. Michael Caine needs to be recognized for this film. Alfred has a larger role in this film that he has in any other of the films, and it's incredible to watch. Alfred has always been the one and only person that can stand up to Bruce/Batman and get away with it. He's the voice of reason throughout the series, and the caring father figure that Bruce needed. In this film, Alfred reaches a new low in his life, having a heavy fear that Bruce will become Batman again, and end up in a grave, leaving Alfred completely alone and taking away the last person he cares about. Caine was the stand out emotional performance in this film, and when Alfred leaves Bruce in the middle of the film, an emptiness is felt until you see the familiar face again. It's been reported that Christian Bale told Christopher Nolan that he would be Batman, as long as Robin wasn't in the films. I agreed with this because it would have taken away from the main story of Bruce Wayne/Batman in the films. Or so I thought. John Blake (Joseph Gorden-Levitt) is a Gotham cop, who knows the identity of Batman and gives Bruce Wayne the push to come back. He also helps in the fight against Bane's army to save Gotham. In short, the John Blake character was a very rewarding character. But the most interesting and awesome information about John Blake is revealed in the last moments of the film, when it's revealed his legal name is Robin John Blake. I didn't think a Robin could be done right in a "real" and "gritty" film series like the Dark Knight trilogy, but I was wrong. Alright, so I'm running out of characters in this review so this is going to be a speed round of what else I liked about the film. Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle was great. Many people thought she was a poor choice for the character, but it's done so well and she brought it to life. Bane is also such a physical force on screen. What Tom Hardy is able to do with limited facial expressions is phenomenal, especially when tears fall from his eyes when it's revealed he was a protector of Talia Al Ghul. The cameo appearance of Cillian Murphy as Scarecrow was subtle but perfect. It was such a nice little touch to a film that wrapped up the full story of Batman Begins. My hat if off to you Mr. Nolan. You were able to bring the art of story telling to a new height in a system that seems to forget about it way too often. I'm excited to see what is next in the Nolan film world. I'll always remember the first time I saw this film, the last film, and the first film. This was and is the perfect trilogy. Thank you to those who told this amazing story Expand
  60. Jul 22, 2012
    It's not the masterpiece its predecessor was, but TDKR succeeds in bringing Nolan's Bat trilogy to a satisfying close. When all three films are viewed in their entirety, it's hard to argue with it being one of the best cinematic trilogies in recent history. It's right up there with The Lord of the Rings and Toy Story. Consistently excellent... it's well acted and engaging from start toIt's not the masterpiece its predecessor was, but TDKR succeeds in bringing Nolan's Bat trilogy to a satisfying close. When all three films are viewed in their entirety, it's hard to argue with it being one of the best cinematic trilogies in recent history. It's right up there with The Lord of the Rings and Toy Story. Consistently excellent... it's well acted and engaging from start to finish. Onwards to Man of Steel! Expand
  61. Jul 22, 2012
    Nolan ties it all together. This movie does not stand alone, it requires the other two. He makes great use of the Batman universe and takes the legend down roads both expected and unexpected. There were moments were I couldn't pick up what Bane or Batman were saying, but these weren't as bad as the critics harped on. Catwoman (never uses that name) was actually essential and not just aNolan ties it all together. This movie does not stand alone, it requires the other two. He makes great use of the Batman universe and takes the legend down roads both expected and unexpected. There were moments were I couldn't pick up what Bane or Batman were saying, but these weren't as bad as the critics harped on. Catwoman (never uses that name) was actually essential and not just a distraction. They obviously tried to tie together all the various incarnations of Selina Kyle and boil it down to one bad mama. Loved the ending. The only thing missing was some sort of dedication to the late, great Heath Ledger. Expand
  62. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give this movie a 10 because Metacritic won't allow me to give it a 50. The Dark Knight Rises is one of the greatest movies of all time, topping CGI snooze Avatar and maybe even, dare I say it, Citizen Kane. Christopher Nolan has given us a masterpiece. Incredible acting, pitch-perfect pace, and amazing moments I will not forget. The stadium scene is masterfully executed, and will definitely go down as one of the greatest scenes in recent memory. Bane is an imposing villain, combining the deadliness of the Scarecrow (whom is still alive and cameos here), the cunning of Rhas Al Ghul, and the sheer unforgettability of the Joker. Don't worry about the controversy surrounding Catwoman's casting; this incarnation is as seductive, manipulative, and intelligent as the rest. Finally, pay attention at the end: Nolan definitely ends the trilogy with a bang, delivering an earth-shattering plot twist that reveals a character you will never see coming. I implore you to see this film; you will not regret it. Expand
  63. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a satisfying conclusion in Nolan's trilogy, but individually falls short of meeting the lofty expectations set by 2008's The Dark Knight. The musical score, acting (particularly by Bale, Hathaway, and Caine) and set design are top-notch. Bane is a terrifying villain of physical proportions, which really helps carry the pain theme of this third and final act. ThereThe Dark Knight Rises is a satisfying conclusion in Nolan's trilogy, but individually falls short of meeting the lofty expectations set by 2008's The Dark Knight. The musical score, acting (particularly by Bale, Hathaway, and Caine) and set design are top-notch. Bane is a terrifying villain of physical proportions, which really helps carry the pain theme of this third and final act. There are many individual scenes, particularly the opening airplane heist, that is breathtaking. There are many references to the first film, Batman Begins, that helps give closure to key characters - it is helpful to re-watch this first film prior to watching DKR.

This film, TDKR, is not without flaws. There is an unsatisfying, anti-climactic conclusion to a major character. The second half of this film, particularly the final 45 minutes, that feels rushed from an execution standpoint. There are various side characters and extras where you can't help wonder if the film would have been sharper and not sacrificed on plot development had they just cut out these scenes entirely.

Is this film worth the price of admission? Absolutely. Yet when the credits rolled, I couldn't help but feel that this film didn't give me that overwhelming awe that I felt from its predecessor.
  64. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible acting. Perfect balance of action and dramatic storytelling. Edge-of-your-seat intensity. The last film of Nolan's Batman trilogy is absolutely thrilling from beginning to end. While the movie doesn't contain a central villain as unique and iconic as The Dark Knight's Joker, the assortment of new characters and their interweaving stories make for a larger, more intricate movie. Bane's visceral presence brings forth feelings of terror and dread each time he appears on screen, his brutal physicality and authoritative personality a contrast to the wild chaos of the Joker in the previous film. Selina Kyle is the most interesting character in the movie; devilishly sly, sensual, and intelligent, and the dynamic she shares with Bruce Wayne is one of the high points of the film. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's John Blake has a surprising amount of screen time, but none of it is wasted - he evolves into a sort of second hero of the film, willing to do whatever it takes to save Gotham but foregoing the elusiveness and symbolic nature of Batman in favor of an every-man who can connect with the citizens as an actual human. The action set pieces are great, and the visuals stunning. Of particular note is the jet/helicopter hybrid the Bat, which is an amazing sight to behold as it soars throughout Gotham. The fight scenes between Batman and Bane are also a blast to watch, each one a slow, gruesome, bare-knuckle brawl that test the limits of Batman's body and abilities. High speed chases through Gotham, scenes of destruction on a massive scale, and a huge battle royale on the streets make this this most epic movie of the trilogy. This is not the Dark Knight, which was a more cohesive film and contained the best portal of a comic book villain in recent times, but The Dark Knight Rises is spectacular in other ways. Expand
  65. Jul 22, 2012
    Seen The Dark Knight Rises (TDKR) and I'll just come out with it.... Didn't think it was as good as The Dark Knight (TDK). It has built on TDK but the level of jump from 1 to 2 just couldn't be matched in the jump from 2 to 3. You can't improve perfection is all I'm saying. Also Heath Ledgers Joker was so good that no actor could come close to stealing the entire movie in TDKR. However itsSeen The Dark Knight Rises (TDKR) and I'll just come out with it.... Didn't think it was as good as The Dark Knight (TDK). It has built on TDK but the level of jump from 1 to 2 just couldn't be matched in the jump from 2 to 3. You can't improve perfection is all I'm saying. Also Heath Ledgers Joker was so good that no actor could come close to stealing the entire movie in TDKR. However its still brilliant, its just that TDK was brilliantly brilliant! Bane is just not The Joker. However in the Batman V Bane fights he is better as you actually fear for the caped crusader. Catwoman is a great new character. The scope of TDKR is also bigger with elements of faith, idealism, social revolution. Were TDKR actually beats TDK is emotion, the Bruce Wayne and Alfred scenes are great and if the ending doesn't give you goosebumps you don't deserve to be alive! Expand
  66. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is Dark Knight's equal. The production values are every bit as stellar, if not better for our time. The characters are very memorable and exciting. I was skeptical about the inclusion of Bane, but what a great and unique choice he ended up being. The soundtrack is the best in the series and the story might be too. I can't recommend this film enough and if you'reThe Dark Knight Rises is Dark Knight's equal. The production values are every bit as stellar, if not better for our time. The characters are very memorable and exciting. I was skeptical about the inclusion of Bane, but what a great and unique choice he ended up being. The soundtrack is the best in the series and the story might be too. I can't recommend this film enough and if you're remotely into movies you should see it. Expand
  67. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark night rises is a amazing academy award best picture this saga is the best in the history, bigger a and better , the lords of the rings is a litle saga stupid, not realistic, the dark night rises is a wonderfull movie in the history love film in my life , thanks you cristopher nolan thanks you master
  68. Jul 22, 2012
    One thing about this movie is that it did not seem like the movie was 3 hours long. The script and the acting just made me want to stay in my seat and watch it for a third time today. I loved it! This was best performance by Christian Bale of the series, Tom Hardy did really good showing Bane's emotions through his eyes. Anne Hathaway was an amazing Catwoman, Michael Caine played the bestOne thing about this movie is that it did not seem like the movie was 3 hours long. The script and the acting just made me want to stay in my seat and watch it for a third time today. I loved it! This was best performance by Christian Bale of the series, Tom Hardy did really good showing Bane's emotions through his eyes. Anne Hathaway was an amazing Catwoman, Michael Caine played the best role of Alfred in the series....all in all I would give this movie a 10 and scream loudly that this is the best of the series! Expand
  69. Jul 22, 2012
    Excellent. incredible. The best movie. 1000 times better than avengers. Exciting and a great fight at the end, good dialogues. Wonderful and epic ...
  70. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises is a good film, it is not a great film. People giving it 10 are trying to say it's as good or better then TDK, which it is nowhere near. Overall, the production value is excellent, the cast and acting are good, but the plot is average at best - basically a repeat of the first film with a few more people involved. I expected something more imaginative then the League of Shadows back in Gotham with another bomb. There's a difference between going back to finish the story, and just straight-up repeating it. You can pair off all the chars to similar roles in the plot. Bane/Scarecrow, Talia/Al Ghul, Rachael/Catwomen. The only new char is the one played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, which unsurprisingly, becomes the most interesting by the end of the film. TDKR is a good film in an excellent trilogy, of which TDK is still the centrepiece. Expand
  71. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises and there's a whole lot of talkin' goin' on. Admittedly, nothing could live up to the hype this things gotten so I tried - I really tried - to put all that aside. But the sad fact is this thing is a snooze.
    There is back story after back story in this movie as you learn and re-learn the histories of each character. And, while I promise you no spoilers, what really gets me is , if any of the so-called twists in the plot come as a surprise to you this must be the first movie you've ever seen. I'm not a fan boy and I don't demand fealty to the Holy Writ of the comic book origins, so I'll say making Bane wear that stupid mask was, well, stupid. This is a movie, he's an actor, you need to see his face!
    Anne Hathaway and Marion Cotilard are classic beauties and just watching them on screen is a pleasure just not worth all this hyperbole. The rest of the cast are very talented actors as well.
    So why a low rating? Well, I can't really tell you without giving spoilers and I promise not to do that. So let me just say if you must see this movie, wait a week or two for the lines to die down and go in promising yourself you ask no logical questions at all. None. Zip. Zilch.
    Just sit, eat your popcorn, slurp your cola and let the illogical, predictable plot flow over you.
  72. Jul 22, 2012
    It's not a bad movie, not by any stretch of the imagination. It's certainly superior to Prometheus. However it lacks any impact. There are no memorable performances, ideas, moments, scenes or effects- good or bad. I didn't walk out angry but I was certainly disappointed.
    Bane was horribly realized. I'm sure the mask was a severe burden on Hardy's acting but I never connected with Bane the same way I did with the Joker, or even Ras. And given that he is probably my favourite Batman villain, that was a severe disappointment too. The voice is also frankly atrocious. It sounds like a stereotypical old man but through a Darth Vader filter. Half of his lines were unintelligible and the rest had any menace robbed from them thanks to the ridiculous tambre. The more we learn about him, the less sense he can his motivations make. Apart from that, the rest of the movie was just... just there. Anne Hathway made a pretty decent Femme Fatale, but the role never really evolved beyond that. I think there were just too many characters and development was spread too thin. I never got emotionally invested in any of the characters, and consequently the action and drama just didn't carry much weight.
    Speaking of spreading too thin, for a Batman film we see very little of Batman, and only marginally more of Bruce. He spends the entire first act hobbling around and then after two or so action scenes he spend most of the second act wallowing in a cell while what can only be described as 'Stuff' happens.
    The take home message of the film is shocking. Apart from pissing all over the 'people are essentially good' message of the second film, it also seems to be giving a great big middle finger to the idea of socialism and the Occupy movement. There's also a big thumbs up for authoritarianism. Did Frank Miller write this? Not to mention another subtext which seems to infer you should be grateful if you grow up in poverty or hardship as it will give you strength.
    All in all it's a deeply flawed film in its conception and execution. It's crime isn't so much that it does things badly (not to say that it doesn't do things badly), but that it doesn't really do anything well. It's the epitome of 'meh', neither good nor bad, but with some shoddy characterization and ideas. A plain cheese sandwich made with slightly stale bread.
    I think Nolan was too focused on referencing and drawing from comic source material and desperately trying to create a historical parallel, and not paying enough intention to just making a good film off his own talents. All in all, it's a big step back from The Dark Knight, and an unworthy ending. It's worth a look simply for closure, but probably as a rental.
  73. Jul 22, 2012
    First, I must say that this is the best film I have ever seen produced for an IMAX screen. I went in with tentatively high expectations. I truly thought The Dark Knight was an excellent film, not just an excellent Super Hero flick. The Dark Knight Rises was as good if not better. Like most movies in the genre, the hero has to seem down and out only to make a heroic comeback. While youFirst, I must say that this is the best film I have ever seen produced for an IMAX screen. I went in with tentatively high expectations. I truly thought The Dark Knight was an excellent film, not just an excellent Super Hero flick. The Dark Knight Rises was as good if not better. Like most movies in the genre, the hero has to seem down and out only to make a heroic comeback. While you would expect the same here, the journey to a supremely climactic finish is anything but formulaic. This movie made me rethink my feelings about The Avengers (which I gave a 10) in that a super hero film need not be cheesy, childish, or humorous to be great. This truly was a dark night where glimmers of hope seem to evaporate with thunderous booms. Only to leave you applauding with everyone else as the credits roll. Expand
  74. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a fitting end to the trilogy. My expectations were pretty high going into the movie, and the movie did a good job of meeting my expectations. Personally, I like the Dark Knight and Batman Begins better than this movie. The DKR is definitely worth seeing, though. I would recommend watching the first two movies again before seeing this one. It will help youThe Dark Knight Rises is a fitting end to the trilogy. My expectations were pretty high going into the movie, and the movie did a good job of meeting my expectations. Personally, I like the Dark Knight and Batman Begins better than this movie. The DKR is definitely worth seeing, though. I would recommend watching the first two movies again before seeing this one. It will help you remember some of the characters and events in the previous movies that are important. Expand
  75. Jul 22, 2012
    7/10 It's still good but very lazy by Nolan's standards. It has a lot of nit picky bits for nitpickers to rip apart. Won't say what, because you will notice for yourself. The flow of the movie isn't the at the same caliber of the first two. Boobs Hathaway does a great Selina Kyle slash Catwoman. Doesn't ape Newmar or Pheiffer.
    JGL is actually the main star as you come to realise
    JGL is actually the main star as you come to realise because of the surprisingly short Bale screen time. He does a good job. Batman IMO is hardly in it at all!
    Bane is ok. Even though I gave this 7 and not 9 or 10. Don't let that put you off. It's still good. There are a few very big pay offs but its marred by irregular pacing and lazy execution. Its just so hard to top the first 2 though which if you are wondering... I rate both the previous films a 9 and a 10.
  76. Jul 22, 2012
    It was a good movie and I do believe the biggest issue this movie had was trying to live up to the standards set by the last one. The events that surrounded The Dark Knight kinda gave it a mystique that is very hard to match with any other movie. And that was the biggest problem with this movie for me. This movie almost rendered every aspect from the second movie pointless. Not to spoilIt was a good movie and I do believe the biggest issue this movie had was trying to live up to the standards set by the last one. The events that surrounded The Dark Knight kinda gave it a mystique that is very hard to match with any other movie. And that was the biggest problem with this movie for me. This movie almost rendered every aspect from the second movie pointless. Not to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen it already, but this movie is more of a sequel to the first movie, Batman Begins, than it is a sequel to The Dark Knight. I personally liked this movie but I was able to temper my expectations going into it. My friends were not and they hated it. I have a buddy who loved the second movie and he HATED this movie because it was not the second movie. I think he's being too harsh toward the movie but he wasn't the only one who had the opinion from the people I know. People need to know that this movie isn't the second one. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are two different movies and I will warn people that they need be able understand that the differences between the two are quite noticeable. So don't go into the movie expecting to see a direct sequel to The Dark Knight cause that's not what this movie is. In the end, this movie does a great job at ended the Nolan Batman movies and I personally liked it alot. However there are going to be people who will hate this movie just because it's not the second one. Which is a shame since they aren't going to be able to enjoy this movie for what it really is: A great batman movie, and great trilogy, which needs to be praised for everything it did for superhero movies over the years. Expand
  77. Jul 22, 2012
    I have a ambivalence to the Nolan batman films and that is a story with such rich texture it becomes a shame that they add Deus ex machina "A deus ex machina ( /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/ day-əs eks mah-kee-nə;[1] Latin: "god from the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is aI have a ambivalence to the Nolan batman films and that is a story with such rich texture it becomes a shame that they add Deus ex machina "A deus ex machina ( /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/ day-əs eks mah-kee-nə;[1] Latin: "god from the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object." Hollywood moments to solve its problems. Here The dark knight rises does the same. if you've seen the movies chances are you know what im talking about. They all start the same, Dark, and a feeling that what your seeing is if Batman existed in the real world, he fights things with what he has.. Then when the moments are at their toughest for him they just give him the I win button. It happened in Dark knight rises and cheapens a truly great movie. For me I just wish they gave batman more Wits. I wanted him to have a intelectual discussion with the Joker and debate him on chaos not just sit by in awe and listen to the Jokers sermens. And finaly in with the Dark Knight rises the same happends again. I must say though this is Bales/Nolans wisest batman yet, but still doesnt say much about the Bruce Wayne in Nolans universe who still is a baby through out the series who has learned nothing about the philosphys that drive his villians to deveolpe a personal anti thesis that would increase not only his mental prowless but his gab to debate them when they speak of their version of how life ought to be. To that it seems the smartest men in gotham remain Alfred, Lusious fox, and Joker who for whatever reason never shows up in the movie. I understand they love ledger, But Joker loved CHAOS not Nuclear destruction. To me a loving hand from joker to batman would have been a understandable moment even if he is not physicaly there. Yes the joker is loose, Yes he got off the island but not before giving Batman some piece of information that will save the city so once again he might come again and bring it to the world he wants to live in. I long for a day when this kind of batman will rise again, but, a batman written by someone who could have a batman that not only fights a villian with his strength, gadgets, and fear but also with a wit that can counter the thoughts of these criminals and deflate their rhetoric destroying not only their plans but also their beliefs Expand
  78. Jul 22, 2012
    the dark knight rises beats the avengers the first half was a bit slow but what can we say about a near hour movie. the climax was so great that it cant be described in words.clearly it knocks out the avengers.felling much relaxed after watching the movie but i wanna see it again
  79. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I walked into this film with extremely high expectations, and I can honestly say that this film completely surpassed my already high expectations. I had to turn to my friend once in a while and I could see that he also looked absolutely astounded. At the beginning of the film I was pulled in by the new characters, Catwoman(Anne Hathaway) and Bane(Tom Hardy), and also pulled in by the completely new portrayal of Bruce Wayne(Christian Bale), which was far different to his performance in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Although I feel that it started in a very similar way to Batman Begins, but this just adds to nostalgic effect. Throughout the film I was constantly mesmerized by the new gadgets that Lucius Fox(Morgan Freeman) offered. This film has a massive amount of character building. The way Bruce Wayne changes from a broken man, both mentally and physically, to the spectacular former hero he was in The Dark Knight. The supporting actors were simply astounding, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Micheal Caine, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Gary Oldman did a brilliant job. I think the mystery that surrounded John Blake(Joseph Grodon-Levitt's character) was brilliant. My favourite part of the film by far was the ending. John Blake stumbling upon the Bat-cave, the statue of Batman being revealed in Gotham, Alfred Pennyworth(Michael Caine) finally fulfilling his fantasy of finding Bruce Wayne settled down with a wife, Selina Kyle(Catwoman). I find it brilliant that Alfred also talks about this fantasy near the beginning of the film, this ties together the whole film. The cameo from Ra's Al Ghul(Liam Neeson) was very reminiscent of Batman Begins. The twist involving Miranda Tate(Marion Cotillard) where you find out that she is really Talia Al Ghul is fantastic. The only downside to this film that I could find was Bane's voice. I found he sounded rather like a posh Englishman. All together, this film was by far the best I've ever seen, it was a brilliant ending to a fantastic trilogy. I realise I've used a lot of superlatives in this review, but I assure you this film deserves it, if there is one film I could ever recommend, it would be this one. If you do anything this year, make sure you see this film. I saw it on the opening day and I guarantee you I will definitely see it many more times. Expand
  80. Jul 22, 2012
    Nolan wraps up his trilogy in a satisfying way, despite some glaring thematic issues. The film's production values were predictably outstanding and especially stunning in (real) IMAX. But I thought most of the anti-government/wall street/1% percent rhetoric fell flat. It just seemed clumsy and not fully realized. That being said, the film is wildly entertaining and a mostly worthyNolan wraps up his trilogy in a satisfying way, despite some glaring thematic issues. The film's production values were predictably outstanding and especially stunning in (real) IMAX. But I thought most of the anti-government/wall street/1% percent rhetoric fell flat. It just seemed clumsy and not fully realized. That being said, the film is wildly entertaining and a mostly worthy conclusion to the trilogy. Expand
  81. Jul 22, 2012
    TDKR was worth the wait and it met my ridiculously high standards. For starters, The Dark Knight is my favorite movie and what I consider to be an instant classic just four years after it's release. Also, Chris Nolan is my favorite director and he never disappoints me. That said, this delivers. The acting, action, cinematography, set designs, costumes, and music are all top notch, andTDKR was worth the wait and it met my ridiculously high standards. For starters, The Dark Knight is my favorite movie and what I consider to be an instant classic just four years after it's release. Also, Chris Nolan is my favorite director and he never disappoints me. That said, this delivers. The acting, action, cinematography, set designs, costumes, and music are all top notch, and will lead to at least 8 academy nominations come february. There are about 4 or 5 set pieces that are jaw-dropping. Bale and Caine give their best performances of the series and are the heart of the movie. New additions Hardy, Levitt, Hathaway, and Cortillard are all spectacular as you would expect. The main complaint this film has and will continue to receive is that it is "long" and "bloated". However, the long length and large number of characters gives it an epic and book-like feel. The film really takes its time in telling it's story, whereas some long movies start to rush to the end around the 2 hour mark. While there are a lot of things going on, the story is relatively simple and all of the characters have a good story arc that concludes in a great way. Ending a series is so hard because of the expectations fans build up, whether it is film, television, or books. But this film really does have an ending that should satisfy the majority of fans. This successfully earns the title of best trilogy of all time in my opinion with LOTR close behind. It is that good from beginning to end. Most of all, Nolan decided to take chances with this film when he could have played it too safe. Job well done by Nolan and company. Best Picture and Best Director nomination please. Expand
  82. Jul 22, 2012
    I waited in line for nearly 5 hours to see this film in IMAX on the midnight premiere, and waited another 2 hours sitting in the theatre. And OH MY GOD WAS IT WORTH IT!!!
    The thing that I always loved about Nolan's Batman films was the reality basis that they had, and of course the great performances in them, as well as the writing, directing, cinematography, visuals, EVERYTHING!!
  83. Jul 22, 2012
    Christopher Nolan reinvents Batman in a powerful and much darker way. Batman Begins is a gripping and compelling origin of the hero. The Dark Knight is a lot more serious, realistic, and powerful Batman movie. The Dark Knight Rises is the last of the series. It is ought to be larger and better. It does succeed to be the biggest of the rest of the series. Although, it's not as as superiorChristopher Nolan reinvents Batman in a powerful and much darker way. Batman Begins is a gripping and compelling origin of the hero. The Dark Knight is a lot more serious, realistic, and powerful Batman movie. The Dark Knight Rises is the last of the series. It is ought to be larger and better. It does succeed to be the biggest of the rest of the series. Although, it's not as as superior as The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises is still a fantastic and grand cinematic experience.

Every sequel gets bigger and bigger. The threats are getting worse and worse. The Dark Knight Rises is more than just big stuff. There is always suspense that keeps the movie exciting. The best thing about the action is it's not about being pretentiously cool, but it is made to give you anxiety to the fights of Batman between the enemy. Tom Hardy nailed it as Bane. He brings a lot of fear and menace to it. It's different to The Joker but Bane is an intriguing villain.

Most of the movie is the anarchy in Gotham and Bruce Wayne's suffering. There isn't much action fighting in those scenes. What matters here is how you can feel the danger of the characters. The chaotic turn of Gotham really looks bleak and grim that makes you think everybody is doomed. Compelling and heartbreaking emotions is always there.

Much credit goes to Christopher Nolan. Despite from its almost three hour run time, the film is well fast paced and completely entertaining. His action scenes are totally different to the action scenes of movies these days. He's focused to the thrills than looking cool. Some fistfights can be a little underwhelming, but he's best at the chase scenes. The CGI is obviously good and not excessive.

The Dark Knight Rises is a lot more daring than anyone would expect. It's one of those superhero movies that cares more to heroism than just action. The scale is large and it is so explosive. That is the usual formula of all blockbusters, but here, it uses it in a darker and suspenseful way. The Dark Knight Rises is just beyond your expectations. It's also a fitting end of this amazing trilogy. I still think The Dark Knight is the best of the three. That movie is something you can't compare to any other film. Even this and Batman Begins. But hey, The Dark Knight Rises is such an excellent grand experience.
  84. Jul 22, 2012
    I think The Dark Knight Rises is one of those movies that you should watch in your life! It was exactly what I expect. I like catwoman character, Bane was not perfect as joker was, but BANE was good!!! I think costume design was perfect specially Bane
  85. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is the end to the one of the greatest trilogies since the Lord of the Rings and it delivers in flying colors. You'll find the action on par with the previous Batman iterations but with bigger set piece moments, better choreographed fighting, and more physically dominant characters. The story is also something for those who have paid attention to the previous BatmanThe Dark Knight Rises is the end to the one of the greatest trilogies since the Lord of the Rings and it delivers in flying colors. You'll find the action on par with the previous Batman iterations but with bigger set piece moments, better choreographed fighting, and more physically dominant characters. The story is also something for those who have paid attention to the previous Batman titles, referencing mostly Batman Begins but a few Dark Knight allusions as well. For that, I must recommend seeing both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight for the ultimate pleasurable movie experience. This is Christian Bale's best Batman performance of the trilogy and all time, as he makes us believe he is a broken man with nothing to live for. As for Tom Hardy, he's no Heath Ledger, but he puts on the physical performance of a lifetime, even if you can't necessarily understand everything he is saying, but all that is needed to be heard is heard. Anne Hathaway brings her own version of Catwoman, a much more likable version than the one Michelle Pheiffer acted as quite a few years ago. She has much sex appeal and can hold her own against whoever. Also in the cast, Michael Caine's Alfred has one of the saddest scenes within the entire trilogy, and you really do feel the mood that Nolan was going for. The entire movie is like tying up many loose ends as they're is a lot to explain. What happens to Batman? Bruce Wayne? Who is John Blake? Will he ever be the same man again? You'll just have to see the movie to find out. Expand
  86. Jul 22, 2012
    "The Dark Knight Rises" is a bittersweet viewing experience, an exhilarating dramatic adventure so fully engaging that when it reaches it's powerful and emotional climax, you leave the theater feeling like you are saying goodbye to a dear friend you will never see again that makes this the crown jewel of superhero epics and one of the most satisfying and complete movie trilogies ever made."The Dark Knight Rises" is a bittersweet viewing experience, an exhilarating dramatic adventure so fully engaging that when it reaches it's powerful and emotional climax, you leave the theater feeling like you are saying goodbye to a dear friend you will never see again that makes this the crown jewel of superhero epics and one of the most satisfying and complete movie trilogies ever made. As much as I want to see another Batman movie, I can't imagine one without Christian Bale under the direction and talents of Christopher Nolan who so fully realized this character and the drama of the relationships and themes that make the Dark Knight legend so resonant and real. Thanks to Chris Nolan and company for presenting Bruce Wayne's journey in a way I don't see anyone ever surpassing. Bravo to series veterans Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and to new cast members Tom Hardy, Marion Cottilard and especially Anne Hathaway as the definitive Selina Kyle. It's been a hell of a 9 year ride getting here! The best of the trilogy. Expand
  87. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dark Knight Rises feels like a six year old retold what they remembered of Batman Begins with nothing of The Dark Knight aside from Harvey Dent to a screen writer, who then wrote a sequel. It feels like Inception without the concept of dreams. It flirts with greatness but never reaches it. It's not The Dark Knight. It's closer to X3 in the way that it marginalizes characters and fails to deliver the promise of the series as a whole. Viewed not as a sequel to one of the few (if not the only) comic book films to ever win an oscar? It still isn't very good. There are moments of brilliance, and moments of frustration. There are many plot threads that go nowhere. The scene in the prison between Ra's and Bruce is one of the most amazing scenes I've seen in a film in years. Yet other scenes that should have been just as amazing, such as Alfred and Bruce's goodbye ring hollow; as if the writers stopped caring about the characters, or never understood them in the first place. Within five minutes of one love interest being removed a second one crops up, ensuring the ending is a heart string tugging mess.

But rather than delve into all of that, let's just examine one of the final scenes: Batman in The Bat chasing down the truck. Talia and an unnamed man are in the cabin of the truck. Batman, after evading missiles, flies directly in front of said truck and opens fire. Right at the cabin. With two large guns. And the driver dies. Talia takes over, as if nothing has changed. But this, this massive flaw in internal logic, this glaring hole in the conceptualization of the film and it's protagonist exemplifies everything that is wrong with The Dark Knight Rises. Right at the end of the movie Batman breaks his "one rule" without a second's hesitation, and worse, without any moral debate about doing so. A flashback to the interrogation in The Dark Knight with the Joker stating that people drop their moral code at the first sign of trouble could have made this scene into something of undeniable power. But instead, nothing. He clearly was not willing to cross this line when he flew into the final battle between the police and the citizens, or in his final battle with Bane. It could easily be said that Batman has accidentally killed many people. The League of Shadows fire comes to mind, as does the crashing of the train, or the chase scene in Begins that Alfred hand waves away by saying "it's a miracle that no one was hurt.". These are leaps of faith or suspensions of disbelief: Batman is trying to do the right thing, and this sometimes has unforeseen consequences. But flying directly in front of a vehicle and opening fire on it's cabin, killing a man? This is not accidental. Even if the entire city was at risk, this does not justify ignoring Batman's moral compass by murdering a man without pause. Talia's death came from wounds suffered when the truck fell off of the road; a mirror of her father's death. It can be viewed as accidental. But the driver's cannot. In The Avengers Thor hits Captain America's shield with his hammer without any understanding of what the shield is made out of, and it's arguable that he tried to kill him with that attack. But that movie isn't built around heroes who never kill, it's built around fun. It's impossible to believe that Batman didn't know what could happen when he opened fire. A good comic book movie obscures these facts. X2 for example starts to falter when you realize how many people died when Xavier momentarily cripples every human on the planet. But it was not his intention. And therein lies the problem.

I enjoyed much of The Dark Knight Rises, but can't say it's a good film by any means. If it was made in a different country I would have felt like I simply didn't understand their culture and blown it off. And I am the kind of person who loves comic book movies, both realistic and campy. Despite this, I'm sure that most of my words will be ignored, and I'll be labeled a "hater" for not blindly loving the film.

I tried writing a full review of the film, in all of it's wonder and drudgery, but couldn't get it below 5000 characters. So I leave it with this one concept and it's obvious and massive flaw: Batman murders a man and the film doesn't blink an eye over it.
  88. Jul 22, 2012
    The Dark Knight Rises is a fitting end to the dark knight trilogy. It has a brilliantly crafted plot that brings the trilogy full circle, a few minor niggles prevent it from surpassing The Dark Knight but these are forgivable considering this film wasn't what Nolan had originally intended. It is however Bales finest performance as Bruce Wayne most notably in an emotionally charged sceneThe Dark Knight Rises is a fitting end to the dark knight trilogy. It has a brilliantly crafted plot that brings the trilogy full circle, a few minor niggles prevent it from surpassing The Dark Knight but these are forgivable considering this film wasn't what Nolan had originally intended. It is however Bales finest performance as Bruce Wayne most notably in an emotionally charged scene with the equally brilliant Michael Caine, and Tom Hardy's Bane phenomenally scary and portrayed brilliantly (which is an incredible feat considering he had half of his face covered). All in all a great film which focuses mostly on the development of characters than supplying you with gimmicky action set pieces, i guarantee you will enjoy as long as you're not overly sensitive to minor plot holes. Expand
  89. Jul 22, 2012
    This film was a huge let down, it spends so much time developing characters, and a story and for the first 2 hours it builds up the film. But then as the plot twists come, and things are revealed, you realise most of the build up is now actually undone, and contradictory. the only good thing about this film is the acting and once again the realism brought to the world, but this time onlyThis film was a huge let down, it spends so much time developing characters, and a story and for the first 2 hours it builds up the film. But then as the plot twists come, and things are revealed, you realise most of the build up is now actually undone, and contradictory. the only good thing about this film is the acting and once again the realism brought to the world, but this time only to the characters and not to the city or gadgets. the film stands on the shoulders of the performance of tom hardy, micheal cane, anne hathaway, gary oldman and so on, but the terrible story, and the unjustifiable plot twists and continuity errors and even the lack of knowledge on the american governments abilities, make this a fall from grace of its prequels. Expand
  90. Jul 22, 2012
    Nolan's trilogy is a difficult one in hindsight - the three films are all very different beasts which happen to share the same story arc. The first, a traditional superhero film with incredibly realistic undertones, the second, essentially a thriller - and this installment feels like a disaster film. For me, at least, it was quite jarring - I've seen the first two so many times my initialNolan's trilogy is a difficult one in hindsight - the three films are all very different beasts which happen to share the same story arc. The first, a traditional superhero film with incredibly realistic undertones, the second, essentially a thriller - and this installment feels like a disaster film. For me, at least, it was quite jarring - I've seen the first two so many times my initial viewing was almost destroyed by the weight of expectation; the flaws so pronounced simply because I demanded there be none. However, the conclusion was stunning, a perfect end to a nearly perfect trilogy. Bane was genuinely terrifying, Catwoman pitch perfect, and once you can accept the new characters encroaching on this familiar space the film only becomes more sublime and epic. A terrific conclusion that will please fans of the comics, films, games - anyone who shares the love for perhaps the finest superhero will love this film and will leave the theater deeply touched. Nearly universally brilliant performances, including the best screen portrayal of Bruce Wayne yet, sublime villains (although Ledger's Joker is an impossible act to follow) and fantastic one off characters like only Nolan can deliver. A second viewing, where you can take in detail, accept the new characters and appreciate the sheer scope of vision will perhaps leave you as awe struck as you've ever been. Expand
  91. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never have I ever been so angry at a metacritic score for a film. No film has ever made a cinema go as deadly quiet in shock at a plot twist like The Dark Knight Rises did. I am so happy with this epic ending to the equally as epic trilogy. The film hasn't been given the credit its truly worthy of and I am furious that this film isn't given the score it deserves. Bane becomes more of a physical threat than joker. His power is so much more huge in scale then any other villain so far seen. Watching bane hold batman over his head before dropping him into his knee, breaking his back in the process made all the cinema go silent with tension. Seeing the whole of gotham fall into one mans master plan was epic. I watched for the characters and their relationships rather than the action despite how amazing it was. The acting is the star of the show and you'll find that all the characters, especially Bane, feel real. I truly recommend you see this film, Please. Film of the year so far full-bloody-stop. Expand
  92. Jul 22, 2012
    Amazing Movie. Each Cast Member delivers. Anne Hathaway was an awesome, sexy, powerful cat women. Christian Bale was again an amazing, my favorite batman. Gary Oldman you think was living his role for many years he did such great job. Not knowing of Bane before this movie, Tom Hardy brought in the new character and put Bane Up there on the villain list under Heath Ledgers Joker. This movieAmazing Movie. Each Cast Member delivers. Anne Hathaway was an awesome, sexy, powerful cat women. Christian Bale was again an amazing, my favorite batman. Gary Oldman you think was living his role for many years he did such great job. Not knowing of Bane before this movie, Tom Hardy brought in the new character and put Bane Up there on the villain list under Heath Ledgers Joker. This movie was very long but it was never boring, needed the time to end the trilogy. Go And Watch This Movie! Expand
  93. Jul 22, 2012
    I am probably one of the biggest Batman fans there is and going in I knew this was going to be garbage. For anyone who knows the Batman stories or reads the comics this movie will be like a slap in the face. People will like this movie because they feel they should but it falls flat in so many ways. It will do well but in my opinion the DC cartoons will always be better than the films andI am probably one of the biggest Batman fans there is and going in I knew this was going to be garbage. For anyone who knows the Batman stories or reads the comics this movie will be like a slap in the face. People will like this movie because they feel they should but it falls flat in so many ways. It will do well but in my opinion the DC cartoons will always be better than the films and the Marvel films will keep trumping the crap DC keeps doing live action Expand
  94. Jul 22, 2012
    An exceptional end to the Nolan Bat-films. A truly epic film that contains some of the most emotional pieces of the trilogy. The movie contains many plot threads and subtle clues that one can only pick up from multiple viewing. Excellent acting from all cast members, complex and moving plot, tied off with a soaring score by Hans Zimmer that is truly outstanding. This spectacular BatmanAn exceptional end to the Nolan Bat-films. A truly epic film that contains some of the most emotional pieces of the trilogy. The movie contains many plot threads and subtle clues that one can only pick up from multiple viewing. Excellent acting from all cast members, complex and moving plot, tied off with a soaring score by Hans Zimmer that is truly outstanding. This spectacular Batman movie completes one of the great trilogies of all time. Expand
  95. Jul 22, 2012
    Let me begin with huge applause for Nolan rejecting the idea of making this movie 3D. Going back three years I have seen on-line ramblers claiming that 3D is the future of movies. I'm only 30, but I know that 3D isn't the future, its the past. Personally, I can't wait for this revived fad to again be relegated to the past. That said, The Dark Knight Rises is exactly what I thought itLet me begin with huge applause for Nolan rejecting the idea of making this movie 3D. Going back three years I have seen on-line ramblers claiming that 3D is the future of movies. I'm only 30, but I know that 3D isn't the future, its the past. Personally, I can't wait for this revived fad to again be relegated to the past. That said, The Dark Knight Rises is exactly what I thought it would be, a dark conclusion to a dark story. I grew up reading DC comics and always considered Batman to be a more mature comic than many other popular titles. After having lived through Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, I was relieved that Nolan brought back the Batman I loved as a kid. The Bat is not a kids superhero, he is what most adults wish they could be. The kids can have their superpowers, otherworldly planets and genetic misfortunes. Give me an endless bankroll and the deepest desire for vengeance of any other human and I will show you the peoples hero. The Dark Knight Rises does not disappoint. Bruce Wayne may be a billionaire playboy, but underneath he has the courage to fight back, without a burst of Gamma radiation. Hathaway captures the sketchy Catwoman with ease and it is difficult to decipher whose side she is really on. Hardy fits the profile of Bane perfectly and does not venture into the superhuman like his predecessor in Batman and Robin. A tip of the hat goes out to Nolan and his superb cast for staying the course and creating a Batman that I will be proud to show my children when they are ready to understand the darkness that can protect us from evil. Expand
  96. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. if you go in the theaters with a view to watch something better than 'the dark knight' , you would be disappointed . But if you go in to watch a super-hero flick you will be amazed with the sheer magnificent ride and would love the movie overall. Better than 'batman begins' and as close to the 'the dark knight' as any super hero flick can go. definitely a must watch for batman fans and a glorified end to a miracle called 'batman- begins' Expand
  97. Jul 22, 2012
    Fantastic ending to Nolan's trilogy. Had to see it a second time to really appreciate the plot, nuances, dialogues and ending. Simply brilliant. Worthy to be seen a few more times in theater until the blu ray comes out!
  98. Jul 21, 2012
    The dark night rises can be summed up in one word. dissapointing. I am a big fan of the series prior to this but the bad combination of shaky characters, a copied plot line, and logic flaws made this movie two and a half hours of dissapointment. the movies new characters have barely any explanation to them at all and the new thing about batman torn about weather he should retire or notThe dark night rises can be summed up in one word. dissapointing. I am a big fan of the series prior to this but the bad combination of shaky characters, a copied plot line, and logic flaws made this movie two and a half hours of dissapointment. the movies new characters have barely any explanation to them at all and the new thing about batman torn about weather he should retire or not goes against the fact that it is a batman movie (not to mention its very poorly scripted). the dark night does redeem itself alittle with anne hathaway playing a sexy well developed catwoman. when the movie first started and the very first action scene was done with i was excited and hopefull about this movie... but eventually it drug out drama with bruce wayne in a very dull segment of the movie and when the plot line actually starts to unfold i figured out that they had simply done the same basic thing in the first movie. the plit twists were not built up well and made the movie even worse... on top of all theses flaws pure logic flaws stop me from being emmersed into the dramatic critical point in the story like hundreds of people running at tanks and machine guns. ten men with assault rifles and cover could hold down the entire group of police officers. not to mention one of them could just toss a grenade at batman or bane and end the whole thing. cat woman seemed to be immune to bullet fire and the auto pilot was a poor excuse for the ending twist. and banes mask was explained horribly and an army of underground contractors with machine guns was never seen by anyone? all in all the movie does look epic and when it actually gets to a fight scene with bane and batman (theres only two and theyre not long) it does look awesome. although i love batman and i try to like this movie it has way to many shortcomings and outright stupidity for me to like it. stay safe and dont go to this movie Expand
  99. Jul 21, 2012
    This was an excellent and fitting conclusion to the Batman Trilogy. First off, the acting/cast was brilliant; who could expect less with so many big-name actors/actresses, and with Alfred as the emotional anchor of the movie. The development of Bane as a villain was perfection from beginning to end - his depth rivals that of the Joker from The Dark Knight. The negative reviews mostlyThis was an excellent and fitting conclusion to the Batman Trilogy. First off, the acting/cast was brilliant; who could expect less with so many big-name actors/actresses, and with Alfred as the emotional anchor of the movie. The development of Bane as a villain was perfection from beginning to end - his depth rivals that of the Joker from The Dark Knight. The negative reviews mostly lament over the drawn-out length of the movie, but I thought the pacing was great and there was always something to capture your attention, with the ending being the best of all . This is a superhero definitely worthy of a Best Picture Nomination (The Dark Knight was as well, but was snubbed). Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd Gilchrist
    Jul 23, 2012
    A cinematic, cultural and personal triumph, The Dark Knight Rises is emotionally inspiring, aesthetically significant and critically important for America itself – as a mirror of both sober reflection and resilient hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 23, 2012
    Christopher Nolan, for all his visionary flair, wants to suck the comic out of comic books; Anne Hathaway wants to put it back in. Take your pick.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Jul 20, 2012
    As you might expect from the creator of "Inception" and "Memento," there are surprises both in the story and in the storytelling. But the biggest surprise may just be how satisfying Nolan has made his farewell to a Dark Knight trilogy that many fans will wish he'd extend to a 10-part series, at least.