8.9

1. ColinF.
    Jul 19, 2008
    There is an absolute lack of realism, not in relation to the superhero whom is allowed a pass in this aspect, but in the makeup of the plot in relation to the cops and technology of the movie. The scene with the magical cell phone technology that can somehow make any cell phone in Gotham create a ridiculous 3-d video image around it is the epitomy of the stupidity. Joker was faboulous but There is an absolute lack of realism, not in relation to the superhero whom is allowed a pass in this aspect, but in the makeup of the plot in relation to the cops and technology of the movie. The scene with the magical cell phone technology that can somehow make any cell phone in Gotham create a ridiculous 3-d video image around it is the epitomy of the stupidity. Joker was faboulous but not enough to warrant my nine dollars and the hype. Expand
  2. DaleM
    Dec 15, 2008
    This movie is a mix of utterly serious themes mixed with a bunch of silliness. One minute an 18-wheeler is racing down city streets taking corners at 50 miles an hour in a manner 18-wheelers just don't do, and the next someone is brooding on some deep subject. The seriousness ruins the fun factor of the movie, and the fun stuff makes the serious seem bathetic.
  3. Fantasy
    Jul 20, 2008
    This was a very tough movie to grade. The bottom line is this is not the cartoon BATMAN. Instead under the guise of the Batman character we have a very dark psychological socialpath slasher movie. How this movie was given a PG 13 rating is beyond me? Any parent considering taking their child to see this thinking they are going to see the old POW BAM ZAP Batman is in for a great surprise. This was a very tough movie to grade. The bottom line is this is not the cartoon BATMAN. Instead under the guise of the Batman character we have a very dark psychological socialpath slasher movie. How this movie was given a PG 13 rating is beyond me? Any parent considering taking their child to see this thinking they are going to see the old POW BAM ZAP Batman is in for a great surprise. Heath Ledger as The JOKER is demented and belongs in a rubber room. Hanibal Lechter should come to mind because that is how disturbed his character is. IF you remember the knife scene from Saving Private Ryan well be prepared to be subjected to two grueling hours of this blood and mayhem. This is a violent sick disturberd movie masquerading under a cartoon character to make all of you go ga ga. P T Barnum once said a sucker is born every minute. Well as I said this is not a cartoon character and 15 minutes into the film you will be sitting on the edge of your seat. The violence is non stop and at one point it becomes overbearing. But when you see children in harms way and the constant disregard for human life with terroristic attacks well that is taking it to the limit. If they had made this movie under a different name with no connection to the cartoon character at least the audience would be prepared for what they are about to see. Heath Ledger is simply brilliant and will definitely win an OSCAR for his portrayal of the manical JOKER. But to say this is BATMAN is totally unfair. DARK is definitely appropriate for the makeup of this film. Not my cup of tea. Do NOT take any children to see this. Expand
  4. PaulioG.
    Nov 18, 2008
    Over the top story, acting, action, runtime, characters, and critical acclaim. The only aspect of this movie Not OTT was Batman. Who was underplayed, had a silly voice, and didnt seem to be in the movie that much.
  5. Feb 13, 2012
    A film with too many plot holes. The plot is all over the place. This film really should of been split in two to make it flow better. As is, it's one giant cluster ****
  6. Oct 7, 2010
    The Dark Knight is the most overhyped event in the past 10 years. Batman Begins was pretty good, but this? THIS?? Chris Nolan went experimental and tried to do a "big movie" about crime, anarchy and stuff, but kind of forgot its entertainment value. The film has excellent cinematography and does have good acting with a solid performance of Aaron Eckhart and Heath Ledger as the Joker is theThe Dark Knight is the most overhyped event in the past 10 years. Batman Begins was pretty good, but this? THIS?? Chris Nolan went experimental and tried to do a "big movie" about crime, anarchy and stuff, but kind of forgot its entertainment value. The film has excellent cinematography and does have good acting with a solid performance of Aaron Eckhart and Heath Ledger as the Joker is the most unique interpretation of a psycho killer with a level of craziness Johnny Depp can only dream of, but there is no point in having solid performances if there is no plot nor story. I am not going to write a plot overview for this movie because there isn't one. Did something really happen in this movie? Was there something worth telling? Sorry if you're a fan, but there was no point in making this "film". No story in a 2 and half hour long movie is dreadful, I'd rather watch something like Watchmen Ultimate Cut with a running time of 3 and a half hours than this, this film is interesting as long as the running time and then it's over. Can you recall any moment in this film? No? I'm not surprised, That is why I say this film lacked a story. Batman Begins will be remembered for being influential, The Dark Knight will only be remembered by its huge hype and overrated reviews. Expand
  7. Feb 14, 2013
    The Dark Knight makes no sense, the scenes go by so rapidly and with so little connection to the next frame that you're often wondering what the heck you just watched or why something happened. The movie is terribly convoluted, lasting 2 hours and 26 minutes. It could havbe actually ended at around 1 hour and 20 minutes and the audience would have been perfectly satisfied and the restThe Dark Knight makes no sense, the scenes go by so rapidly and with so little connection to the next frame that you're often wondering what the heck you just watched or why something happened. The movie is terribly convoluted, lasting 2 hours and 26 minutes. It could havbe actually ended at around 1 hour and 20 minutes and the audience would have been perfectly satisfied and the rest could have been made into another movie. Instead, they rinse and repeat for another hour. There are a whole bunch of gizmos and gadgets that were just thrown in there to look gadgety, they add absolutely nothing to the movie. Why is there such a discrepancy between the technology Batman uses and the technology the police use? If Batman loves to fight crime, why doesn't he increase the survival chance of the average cop or give them a pay raise so they're less inclined to corruption? Heck, why doesn't he feed the poor so they won't have to steal? There is barely any Batman and when there is, we get poorly choreographed fights with people that have such unbelievable poor aim you do not consider them evil at all since they rarely hit anything and we never really see 'm commit any crimes either. Mostly they just sit around talk about how they're going to take over the city. Last time I checked, this is not a crime. Batman's accent is horrible, it's as if though they were trying to raise awareness for throat cancer victims. It's not mysterious, it's not dark it's just ridiculous. If anyone were to talk like that while dressed in a giant costume you wouldn't be able to take them seriously no matter how hard you tried. I also think the butler is far too haugty, I recall him to be very servile and humble.I've never been a big fan of Batman, the idea of a rich industrialist going after "criminals" is just a completely unrealistic yuppie fantasie but I'm open for a good interpretation of some old comic if delivered right. This is not a good interpretation, I'd rather watch the 70's cartoons. The acting is semi-decent, I'm not too impressed by the Joker. he seems pretty meek for a villain. He also seems more human than the rest of the cast. That's a mistake for a movie that's about good and evil from a 50's point of view. And what's with these annoying women playing the love interests? Maybe they should have made Batman pair up with a really queer yet loyal construction worker that likes to run around in a furry suit instead of a woman that likes to run with the hare and hunt with the hounds. You know, actually gives us a character we can laugh about instead of make us run out of nails to bite. Or maybe America just has a thing for unloyal, undecisive annoying women on the silver-screen? Same went for Spiderman. Great movies, just couldn't stand the female lead because of her inability to actually stand behind her man or make a choice. Sure it's all in the script but somehow these women play the part perfectly, they all have the same annoying look on their face when they deliver the same old lines. The batmobile wasn't very iconic either, it looked like something Mad-Max'ish and seemed out of place. I'm pretty sure Batman is breaking a few laws driving around with a mobile razor-blade! I'd hate to be stuck with a vigilante that believes the police force is incapable of handling crime yet delivers the criminals into their hands each and every time. Batman, unlike The Punisher, isn't timeless and it shows. Horrible movie, given the hype I expected way more. Expand
  8. Sep 19, 2010
    Director Nolan illustrates his movie too darkly and too gloomy. Why this super-hero movie should deserve to philosophically intricated one. Watching Super-hero movie is merely for fun.
  9. Darryl
    Jul 20, 2008
    Mediocre at best, if you want a great movie.... see Iron Man, or Wanted.... There has been way too much hype over this movie, and I think a lot has to do with the untimely death of Heath Ledger ..who steals the movie and is a sure Oscar winner with his performance.
  10. BillR.
    Jul 20, 2008
    i presume those who keep scoring "10" are teens? such an opportunity gone begging to flesh out the Joker. They could have focused on his childhood, the factors which drove him to the edge and gave Heath a meatier role that could have gone down in history. Instead we had a 150 min movie, brlliantly produced , but lacked characters with emotional depth. Mr Ledger is capable of so much i presume those who keep scoring "10" are teens? such an opportunity gone begging to flesh out the Joker. They could have focused on his childhood, the factors which drove him to the edge and gave Heath a meatier role that could have gone down in history. Instead we had a 150 min movie, brlliantly produced , but lacked characters with emotional depth. Mr Ledger is capable of so much better. Scintillating stuff for the xbox 360 crowd. Expand
  11. PaulB.
    Jul 20, 2008
    Wow.... people were walking out of the cinema i saw this in and it's understandable. The joker is great...but the film is so badly plotted it's amazing. The entire Harvey Dent character should have been edited out as it was not well executed and the story arc round Dent was weakly scripted. we don't believe him... The joker has been used as a cenematic 'device' byWow.... people were walking out of the cinema i saw this in and it's understandable. The joker is great...but the film is so badly plotted it's amazing. The entire Harvey Dent character should have been edited out as it was not well executed and the story arc round Dent was weakly scripted. we don't believe him... The joker has been used as a cenematic 'device' by Nolan. He is a cypher. He turns up as required, in any situation... we never understand how he gets there, how he commandeers a skyscraper, or enters the impenetrable apartment of Batman... The film degenerates in the last 40 mins completely. Once the only character you care for is dead the film just keeps going. I thjought it finished at least three times, only to groan when it started again. Indulgent, flat.. and uninteresting... I think the crtic's reviews are shrouded with the death of ledger and no one wants to admit the films a barker....wooof....the dog of summer. Expand
  12. JamesLulz
    Oct 9, 2008
    this movie was too long. mightv been better if it was about 1/2 the time. also it takes itself too seriously for a movie based off a comic book and after the first half you begin to wonder why you bother with the movie and its constant undramatic "twists"
  13. AronJ.
    Dec 1, 2008
    Cut batman out and youve still got a mediocre story, and movie. Although full of a-listers like ledger, bale, and eckhart, its still unappealing. The acting was great, but, limited, the strongest performences came from eckhart and leger, bale is overrated as an actor.
  14. HarsH.
    Dec 15, 2008
    Quite possibly the most overrated Hollywood film since Titanic. Convoluted and overwrought with dry performances, unnecessary subplots, and derivative action sequences. Ledger gives a compelling performance in what is otherwise a vacuous film. I respect Christopher Nolan, but he needs to ask Jon Favreau how to make a superhero film.
  15. WillyM.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Heath Ledger is amazing, but the movie is a dark, nasty mess with a gaping hole in the middle where a hero should be. Feels like it's 4 hours long.
  16. TonyO.
    Dec 14, 2008
    I like Batman. I like Christopher Nolan. I like Christian Bale. I like comic book film adaptations, by and large. So why didn't I like this movie? 1. Way too long. 2. Some really pointless sub-plots and over-egged supporting characters. 3. too many tedious and unexciting action sequences. 4. In short, it suffered from the same syndrome as Spider-Man 3 and X-men 3 - yet another puffed I like Batman. I like Christopher Nolan. I like Christian Bale. I like comic book film adaptations, by and large. So why didn't I like this movie? 1. Way too long. 2. Some really pointless sub-plots and over-egged supporting characters. 3. too many tedious and unexciting action sequences. 4. In short, it suffered from the same syndrome as Spider-Man 3 and X-men 3 - yet another puffed up sequel based on a promising beginning. Of course there are some good bits Expand
  17. JacobG.
    Aug 1, 2008
    Movie was too long, and got kind of stale in the end....Kept wanting to kill myself every time I heard Batman's voice. Also if he would have killed Joker in the beginning he could have saved like 50 people. Batman lets his own personal heroics get in the way of saving people.
  18. Wyatt
    Jul 23, 2008
    Heath Ledger was fabulous as you couldn't take your eyes off of him. He is much deserving of an OSCAR. But what this had to do with the fun that is Batman is what takes this movie down for me. Everytime Batman appeared it ruined what otherwise was a very serious dark movie. I don't know if I was alone but that is the way I felt. If the Batman character was removed from the film Heath Ledger was fabulous as you couldn't take your eyes off of him. He is much deserving of an OSCAR. But what this had to do with the fun that is Batman is what takes this movie down for me. Everytime Batman appeared it ruined what otherwise was a very serious dark movie. I don't know if I was alone but that is the way I felt. If the Batman character was removed from the film I may have given this a ten. Expand
  19. ChadSchneider
    Feb 20, 2009
    I thought this movie was over-hyped, over-(and under)acted and just plain long. While the Joker character was well acted by Ledger (Oscar worthy for sure), Christian Bale fell short of making me believe that Batman was more than a mumbling, monotone, disconnected Houdini wanna-be.

Was not impressed by the Bat-mobile. Was not impressed by the Transformer-like Bat-mobile turned Bat-cycle. Was not impressed at all. A mostly wasted 3 hours of my life that could have been better spent picking my nose.
  20. metalmaiden
    Jul 28, 2008
    Sadistic, gratuitous violence and a rehash of borrowed ideas with no plot, horrible dialogue and worse acting. Ledger played a psycho well but his voice sounded like Al Franken, made me giggle, and made it impossible for me to get into his actions. An absolutely horrible waste of time.
  21. JackieC.
    Jul 9, 2008
    Completely overhyped, absolute sh*t.
  22. VS.D.
    Aug 1, 2008
    What a snoozefest. Though not as bad as its prequel, this film really had nothing interesting enough to require this run time. A poor script was helped along by some decent acting but really the film is nothing special.
  23. colinC
    Aug 3, 2008
    Under normal circumstances this movie might get a two or three, but given all the bloated praise it's gotten elsewhere I think the zero is warranted. It's way too long, way too self-serious, and often makes little sense. My girlfriend and I were close to walking out because by the end we were exhausted by all the explosions, heavy-handed dialogue and thudding, stupid music. Under normal circumstances this movie might get a two or three, but given all the bloated praise it's gotten elsewhere I think the zero is warranted. It's way too long, way too self-serious, and often makes little sense. My girlfriend and I were close to walking out because by the end we were exhausted by all the explosions, heavy-handed dialogue and thudding, stupid music. Batman Begins was fun, but this is just a loud, pretentious bore. Expand
  24. AngelH
    May 18, 2009
    Dour, self important, bloated, overly long and pretentious film. The pseudo philosophical posturing of the joker was obnoxious and unnecessary. Instead of leaving the audience to ponder the difference between good and evil, if there is such a thing the creators feel the need to spell it our in stilted dialogue hamtastically delivered by all but the character of Alfred.
  25. peteC.
    Jul 26, 2008
    I was the victim of the marketing campain. I payed 9 euros and left at the half of the movie dissapointed. Ledger performance looks good but probably overrated by his premature death. This movie, like many other hollywoodian productions is nothing else than a capitalist excentricity with no artistic and cinematical value.
  26. LouT.
    Jul 29, 2008
    Gotham is portrayed as a town full of sheep who can only be saved by some fearless leader in whom they all have to believe in the same way that Germans believed in der Fuhrer. There is no community, just huddled masses yearning to be saved. And who will save them? Maybe the District Attorney, by prosecuting criminals? But no, he can't prevail against the evil Joker, so it has to be a Gotham is portrayed as a town full of sheep who can only be saved by some fearless leader in whom they all have to believe in the same way that Germans believed in der Fuhrer. There is no community, just huddled masses yearning to be saved. And who will save them? Maybe the District Attorney, by prosecuting criminals? But no, he can't prevail against the evil Joker, so it has to be a super-wealthy guy who is the head of a massive weapons manufacturing company, and who moonlights as a gadget-driven crime fighter. He also apparently holds the purse strings to the D.A. guy (and the film has no problem with that), so let's face it, folks, Mr. Super Wealthy holds the fate of the city in his heavily-armored hands. To justify this monster, we need a greater monster, just like Cheney needs bin Laden. That's where the Joker comes in. Mr. Super Wealthy even develops a system for spying on every single square inch of space within the entire city, all justified by Mr. Joker, since he's so very, very bad. In short, this film should be offensive to anyone who believes in our Constitution's Bill of Rights. As for the drama, the plot is full of holes you could drive a Batmobile through, which the film does again and again, filling plot problems with gadgetry as needed, which is all of the time. I saw this on an IMAX screen and the aerial city views were fantastic; hence the 1 point in my rating. And Heath Ledger was very good at portraying a psychotic criminal, but unfortunately having a character with completely insane behavior tends to liberate the plot from sensible constraints, and so "what happens next" trumps "why did it happen" just about every time. My view seems to be in the minority, but if you saw this and liked it, after reading this, please ask yourself why. One more thing: Quite apart from its politics, I honestly thought that it was a bore. Expand
  27. ZioZio
    Dec 21, 2009
    Pure bilge. All the talk about this being the darkest Batman film is pure nonsense: Batman never deviates from his task or even tries to kill the joker (as he did with a kamikaze batwing attack in Burton's film). I'm not going to bother commenting on the rest but suffice to say it's confused, pretentious and self-important when it's really about as deep as something Pure bilge. All the talk about this being the darkest Batman film is pure nonsense: Batman never deviates from his task or even tries to kill the joker (as he did with a kamikaze batwing attack in Burton's film). I'm not going to bother commenting on the rest but suffice to say it's confused, pretentious and self-important when it's really about as deep as something written by a barely-literate 15-year-old. I can see the lad right now, his dedication to his art total as he writes countless pages of description for each and every explosion. Watching the action sequences is about as exhausting as reading such descriptions. I disagree that Ledger was masterful as the Joker: how can somebody whose only background is made up of a handful of simple lies be even considered as a character? All the joker is is a plot device to string all of the scenes together: a bit like a tireless football player playing keepie uppies for the film's entire duration: about two hours too long. Absolute tripe, only Quantum of Solace makes this look good. I'd give that a zero too, but wouldn't waste my time saying why! Expand
  28. Derek
    Aug 6, 2008
    Ledger was amazing... easily the part of The Dark Knight. However, the film was unnecessarily convoluted, lacked any substantial depth, and could quickly devolve into cheap Hollywood banality. People are losing their shit over this movie, and trust me when I say I really wanted to like it, but i just ended up being extremely disappointed.
  29. Dec 3, 2013
    Overrated as Hell! I do not understand why people say this piece of trash is so good. Especially when they say "It's a classic- right up there with The Godfather." Uhhhhh...... NO! Some poor performances (cough, cough, Bale), an over complicated plot (just like all Nolan movies), cheesy lines, and some pretty awful action scenes all contribute to making this movie one awful pile of crap.
  30. PK.
    Jul 30, 2008
    Awful editing, trite and implausible storytelling, cartoonish characters, annoying Batman voice, to many eye-rolling moments, nerve-grating Joker lip-licking (to mock Tom Arnold??), too jumbled film-making, kowtowing to the whims of fanboys all equal a zero from this moviegoer who is grateful he didn't have to pay to see it.
  31. May 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nolan finally reveals his ability that it is not skill to bring forth a gritty "realism" to a comic book movie, but a lack of complete and utter imagination to fulfill a fantasy based character. To be honest the film itself was not that bad, had it not been an hour too long. Had the movie ended after Rachel Dawson died, and the reveal of two-face, it would end on such a somber "Empire Strikes Back" note, and really left the audience in a state of wonder and a need for me. But instead Nolan decides to continue on for an hour where he plateaus with his boring action sequence, and than killing off two face in on of the worst ending in comic book history since Fantastic Four. Too damn long, but of course, Heath Ledger shines bright Expand
  32. Jun 13, 2013
    Self-indulgent pretentious crap. He ruined the Batman series. Mindless trash this was. Still hate it to this day. No wonder everybody hated the last one, its because this one was the set up to an even worse one.
  33. BibliotechaS.
    Jul 25, 2008
    Bullshit. No one would waste that much money to fight crime. So many things destroyed. How could anyone tolerate such loses. This is the real reason why I think Batman wanted to quit. It had nothing to do with remaining hidden. The story is flawed.
  34. TheTerminator
    Jul 25, 2008
    What happened to the Batman character as he appeared to be 3rd string in this very dark homicidal tribute to Heath Ledger AKA The Joker. No one cared about Batman as Heath Ledger was so perverted that all eyes were rivited on him. This movie is NOT appropriate for young children. Very little humor and way too much violence for my taste.
  35. DidiM.
    Jul 30, 2008
    The movie had a lot of action and very creative in the way that batman used his bag of tricks. But things just didn't make sense. The joker was all powerful and he did things and things were done as if he could do magic. It was very frustrating to watch when things didn't make sense. I expected a lot more. Iron man was a lot better.
  36. BillyB.
    Aug 1, 2008
    Typical summer action movie with lots of blam blam punctuated by bits of sadism. Thirty minutes too long. I was bored by the end. A friend actually fell asleep. Had they cut it shorter, it would have actually been a better, more interesting movie. But, in true Hollywood fashion, they had to connect all the dots for us hapless movie goers. Ledger's portrayal of the Joker was top notch Typical summer action movie with lots of blam blam punctuated by bits of sadism. Thirty minutes too long. I was bored by the end. A friend actually fell asleep. Had they cut it shorter, it would have actually been a better, more interesting movie. But, in true Hollywood fashion, they had to connect all the dots for us hapless movie goers. Ledger's portrayal of the Joker was top notch and the highlight of the movie. Rachel was not up to the part. There were some interesting moments but the end was one long slog. Wait for it on cable. Expand
  37. Mike
    Aug 6, 2008
    How can people like such NON sense!?! This movie is one big joke! The plot is so complex to the point where it doesn't make sense. And why does Wayne's voice suddenly go deep when he wears his batman outfit? A violent movie for grown up children is what this movie really is.
  38. sergueimoviegoer
    Aug 7, 2008
    too many stunts, too much unnecessary violence and too much unbelievable scenes. reflects a huger society on violence and revenge. other than that, a good movie for a raged teenager that loves violent videogames
  39. MeYou
    Apr 10, 2009
    This movie was nothing more than another Hollywood action flick, completely void of depth, character development, or a remotely interesting story. If you're a mindless ape who enjoys action and Stalone and all that then you will adore it. If you're a pretentious 20 year old who reads nothing but comic books and doesn't know a thing about films beside Hollywood mockery then This movie was nothing more than another Hollywood action flick, completely void of depth, character development, or a remotely interesting story. If you're a mindless ape who enjoys action and Stalone and all that then you will adore it. If you're a pretentious 20 year old who reads nothing but comic books and doesn't know a thing about films beside Hollywood mockery then you wil love it. And for those of you who stick up your noses and say "you just didn't get it", there is nothing to get, watch a film by Tarkovsky and maybe you will understand what depth and art put to film actually is. ANd if yuo're saying it is the best film of 2008 when all you have watched are pathetic American Hollywood films then just keep quiet. Expand
  40. MightyM.
    Jul 23, 2008
    Too long, too muddled, too rushed. It felt like there was enough material for 3 films. While in the Batman suit Bale speaks like McGruff the crime dog. While this is by far the best of the franchise, that's really not enough. Accolades like "best comic movie ever" don't really cut it because comic book movies haven't set the bar very high to begin with. The two face plot Too long, too muddled, too rushed. It felt like there was enough material for 3 films. While in the Batman suit Bale speaks like McGruff the crime dog. While this is by far the best of the franchise, that's really not enough. Accolades like "best comic movie ever" don't really cut it because comic book movies haven't set the bar very high to begin with. The two face plot wasn't flushed out enough. Good job by Ledger though. Expand
  41. tj
    Jul 29, 2008
    Batman Begins was excellent, but what happened to the characters? This movie is one over the top dramatic moment after another...and wow, 2 1/2 hours? I was looking at my watch after an hour. Seems like all these directors of superhero movies try to pump up the volume in their sequels--and they lose their heart and humanity. There was no drama and suspense--all big surprises. Heath Ledger Batman Begins was excellent, but what happened to the characters? This movie is one over the top dramatic moment after another...and wow, 2 1/2 hours? I was looking at my watch after an hour. Seems like all these directors of superhero movies try to pump up the volume in their sequels--and they lose their heart and humanity. There was no drama and suspense--all big surprises. Heath Ledger is excellent, but he was the only one with any decent lines. This was an overblown mess and a big disappointment. Expand
  42. JasS.
    Jul 19, 2008
    A great acting job (heath ledger) does not make up for a terrible plot. no climax or depth to the storyline, made it impossible to have any attachment or regard for the outcome of any particular character. even with nearly 3 hour length, the movie couldn't go in depth in to any of the scenes and just strung together random high speed bursts of action one after another that stillA great acting job (heath ledger) does not make up for a terrible plot. no climax or depth to the storyline, made it impossible to have any attachment or regard for the outcome of any particular character. even with nearly 3 hour length, the movie couldn't go in depth in to any of the scenes and just strung together random high speed bursts of action one after another that still somehow failed to captivate. Collapse
  43. HR
    May 28, 2009
    Agree with Ty Burr, Boston Globe: "Ten tons of expressionist murk... Dirty Harry crossed with Hamlet." They tried too hard, lost all depth of plot and texture. Just because a movie is "disturbing" does *not* make it "art." "...Begins" was much better.
  44. FerrinL.
    Aug 10, 2008
    Plodding and hamfisted. Terrible script. Good ideas, but ruined by having every thematic idea telegraphed over and over (and over and over and over...) in the least subtle way possible. Basically, it was like having anvils labeled "important moral allegory" thrown at your head every five minutes for three hours. That, and it occurred to me that Gotham wouldn't need Batman so much if Plodding and hamfisted. Terrible script. Good ideas, but ruined by having every thematic idea telegraphed over and over (and over and over and over...) in the least subtle way possible. Basically, it was like having anvils labeled "important moral allegory" thrown at your head every five minutes for three hours. That, and it occurred to me that Gotham wouldn't need Batman so much if the Gotham cops weren't so blindingly stupid. I mean come on--while transporting Dent one of the cops practically says "This looks like a trap. Let's walk right in to it." Expand
  45. AlexS.
    Jul 20, 2008
    The IMAX format is spectacular. Too bad I can't say the same for the film itself.
  46. Arden
    Jul 21, 2008
    Way too violent and long. Much ado about nothing.
  47. BrandonSmith
    Jul 24, 2008
    Batman Begins was terrible, and Bale brings his same I'm-so-cool "acting" into this one. I miss Michael Keaton.
  48. BillM.
    Jul 18, 2008
    Dark Knight ruined Batman - series should have never been written. DC should be ashamed!
  49. ADE
    So long.. so very long
  50. LisaF
    Mar 12, 2009
    This movie sucked such terrific ass that I just almost can't believe I sat through the whole epic length thing. I learned early on that I couldn't get too wrapped up in any of the characters due to the idiotic way people kept turning into caricatures of themselves. Usually I'm not a violent person, but I kept wishing people would just die and stay dead. Batman made you like This movie sucked such terrific ass that I just almost can't believe I sat through the whole epic length thing. I learned early on that I couldn't get too wrapped up in any of the characters due to the idiotic way people kept turning into caricatures of themselves. Usually I'm not a violent person, but I kept wishing people would just die and stay dead. Batman made you like him even less by speaking in a strange he-man voice that no actual person would ever use for any reason whatsoever. By the last time the hoary-voiced dark avenger fell, I hoped he would stay dead so I could just get the f*ck out of there. Expand
  51. LevS.
    Aug 11, 2008
    Inept political thriller dished up as a Batman movie, lacking in imagination and a decent story. Ledger's Joker was the only praiseworthy element but even so, nothing spectacular. If the poor guy hadn't had died this movie would not have been so insanely overhyped.
  52. DavidH
    Jul 29, 2008
    Yes I admit Heath Ledger turned in a very impressive performance. Christian Bale was also good and there was some excellent technology and special effects. Drawbacks were the combination of it being generally a downer combined with being too long. A hero is someone you're willing to watch go through all kinds of hell as long as he is triumphant in the end. It is depressing that he Yes I admit Heath Ledger turned in a very impressive performance. Christian Bale was also good and there was some excellent technology and special effects. Drawbacks were the combination of it being generally a downer combined with being too long. A hero is someone you're willing to watch go through all kinds of hell as long as he is triumphant in the end. It is depressing that he has to sacrifice virtually everything including nearly his life, catches the bad guy, and yet still ends up persecuted in the end by an annoyingly over-righteous mindset. The chemistry with Maggie Gyllenhall is non-existent compared to Katie and she remains also irritatingly righteous where again, Batman seems to sacrifice absolutely everything in order to help people and yet it is still not good enough for her. Maggie also is simply not attractive enough for this role. As a comparison, when you walk out of Ironman, you feel good, when you walk out of Dark Night, you feel depressed. Expand
    Confused & too long.
  54. R.H.
    May 3, 2009
    All right, I wasn't going to say anything because this is the internet. But all the morons here saying this film is "art" or the closest movies will ever get to art- how dare you? How could you say something so ignorant when you haven't bothered to study anything about films? Try watching films by Ingmar Bergman like Winter Light. Watch films by Andrei Tarkovsky like Andrei All right, I wasn't going to say anything because this is the internet. But all the morons here saying this film is "art" or the closest movies will ever get to art- how dare you? How could you say something so ignorant when you haven't bothered to study anything about films? Try watching films by Ingmar Bergman like Winter Light. Watch films by Andrei Tarkovsky like Andrei Rublev and Mirror. Watch Ozu films like Late Spring and Floating Weeds. I don't care if you loved the movie or whatever- I personally thought the film was hollow, worthless, and nothing new. But don't you dare say this is the highest the art form has to offer- it's barely a step above the lowest. Expand
  55. NN
    Dec 27, 2008
    Stupid Idiotic movie of the worst kind Jumbled plot, meaningless violence and sadistic We have hit real low for so many critics to give such high marks
  56. bda
    Jul 20, 2008
    A numbing movie. Why is everyone on the Ledger bandwagon? Yes, it was an enjoyable performance. But keep in mind how juicy the role was and that any number of actors could have given equally enjoyable performances.
  57. BobS.
    Jul 17, 2008
    Soooo long. So very very long. And too loud. Or is that just the cinema? Joker is great but hes not joker. Just a psycho with make up. U don't see the crazy fun house mad house joker from the original and its just toooo long.
  58. JemimaK>
    Jul 20, 2008
    I'm baffled by all the superlatives being showered on this film. I'm a huge fan of Nolan, Bale, Caine, Oldman, Gyllenhaal but really, this film was competely uninvolving. Bruce/Batman was given short shrift in this screenplay, it's the wonderful Christian Bale who breathes soul into every miniscule oppurtunity he is given. There is no back story, no fleshing out of any I'm baffled by all the superlatives being showered on this film. I'm a huge fan of Nolan, Bale, Caine, Oldman, Gyllenhaal but really, this film was competely uninvolving. Bruce/Batman was given short shrift in this screenplay, it's the wonderful Christian Bale who breathes soul into every miniscule oppurtunity he is given. There is no back story, no fleshing out of any character except Harvey Dent. The film starts as if we've caught it in mid-low. And honestly, this hype over Ledger's performance is too inflated. For me, Tim Burton's Penguin is the greatest villain in the Batman series - evil, tragic, repelling and attracting at the same time. Jack Nicholson's Joker could have done with an editing job, but my goodness, the portrayal itself was one of brilliance and insane originality. Ledger was an actor of great promise, but the praise over his Joker seems out of perspective & proportion. This edition of Batman was a case of overkill, OD'ing on the dark element (not a single touch of genuine wit), over-indulging on the philosophizing and the explosions/mayhem. All in all, a superhero film that takes itself too seriously. It's tragic that some of the finest young directors ( Bryan Singer, etc.) are frittering their prime years away on superhero franschises. Christopher Nolan, please come out of your Bat Cave black hole and give us something worthwhile to watch, again. Expand
  59. May 4, 2011
    This movie was brilliant, entertaining to the people who love in-depth conversations to the people who love explosions. So much drama, I dont see where it fails to have plot, basically its a simple battle of philosophies, nothing more, but nothing needed, he taints other people to madness, what more do you need? Even if it doesnt have plot, it doesnt NEED plot, suspense, action,This movie was brilliant, entertaining to the people who love in-depth conversations to the people who love explosions. So much drama, I dont see where it fails to have plot, basically its a simple battle of philosophies, nothing more, but nothing needed, he taints other people to madness, what more do you need? Even if it doesnt have plot, it doesnt NEED plot, suspense, action, conflicting philosophies, drawbacks to madness are all you truly need. It took Joker and evolved him to the next level. Expand
  60. GaryJ
    Aug 10, 2008
    Ledger was terrifyingly good. The plot is weak, the movie interminably long and vicious. PG-13 ? If this is entertainment, we are a society in trouble.
  61. EstaD.
    Aug 6, 2008
    Although I would give the filmmakers credit for a reasonable story and character development, I think the movie is inappropriate for many people to watch. It depicts a anti-social society and I might say also a mirror of the current American society. We don't need to see all the sweetness from the 50s but in my opinion this movie should be xxx-rated. Harry Potter was banned in many Although I would give the filmmakers credit for a reasonable story and character development, I think the movie is inappropriate for many people to watch. It depicts a anti-social society and I might say also a mirror of the current American society. We don't need to see all the sweetness from the 50s but in my opinion this movie should be xxx-rated. Harry Potter was banned in many conservative bulwarks, but Batman was not. It is time to start a public discussion about the difference between the character of the two stories. Do you really think the Dark Knight/Batman is a children's story? A bank robbery where you kill all your mates?????? No wonder the American society cannot get rid of its violent nature. It will go under just like the Roman Empire due to decadence and (too much expenditure) wars. I am looking forward for that time to happen any time soon. Expand
  62. Elena
    Jul 23, 2008
    This wasn't Batman or a cartoon caper turned into a movie. It was a SLASHER movie with gore and way too much violence. How is this PG 13?
  63. AnS.
    Aug 16, 2008
    So what's all the fuss about? An action film so deluded that it thinks it has something deep or relevant to say about the post September 11 climate? No thanks. If only George Bush monitored the mobile phone communications of the film's producers, this awful, self-indulgent mess would have been extraordinarily rendered to some secret prison in Eastern Europe. Showing it to its So what's all the fuss about? An action film so deluded that it thinks it has something deep or relevant to say about the post September 11 climate? No thanks. If only George Bush monitored the mobile phone communications of the film's producers, this awful, self-indulgent mess would have been extraordinarily rendered to some secret prison in Eastern Europe. Showing it to its fellow unlawful combatants would be a torture much worse than waterboarding. Ledger's performance is good but not remarkable. Pacing and action feel disjointed. Given very little exciting happens and all of the dialogue is hot air, it should have been a lot shorter. Expand
  64. John
    Mar 2, 2009
    Actually deserves a 3, but there are too many 10's. What were people watching. I agree with all of those that thought it made no sense. The motivations of the characters were entirely random. This entry could be pages long with all the problems. Ya, Ledger was fun to watch, thus the 3. But the rest was terrible. At some point the viewer just gives up assuming any of it will make any Actually deserves a 3, but there are too many 10's. What were people watching. I agree with all of those that thought it made no sense. The motivations of the characters were entirely random. This entry could be pages long with all the problems. Ya, Ledger was fun to watch, thus the 3. But the rest was terrible. At some point the viewer just gives up assuming any of it will make any sense. Where is Adam West when you need him? Expand
  65. MovieGuy
    Jul 21, 2008
    Very over-hyped. Batman is supposed to be fun, not philosophical thesis with bad action. And what's up with the Heath Ledger hype? He never was very amazing. Take a chill pill people. The hero had rubber years for god's sake!
  66. NonyaBusiness
    Aug 11, 2008
    Much worse than the first. Since when did Batman become hated and a villain? I didn't like that Nolan tried to pitch Batman that way.... the only good thing about the film was Ledger's acting, which is first-rate. Too bad it couldn't have a lighter end.
  67. MichaelC.
    Aug 2, 2008
    I really wanted to like this movie but was very disappointed with it. It was long and rambling and I was bored by it. What a let down!
  68. dlloyd
    Aug 9, 2008
    Simply weak. Poor script. Good acting but the lack of depth in any single character left their work empty. The joker was crap because he was just a nihilist with nothing else to him and so boring and predictable. The whole film was boring and they couldn't even keep the plot coherent.
  69. JoshW.
    Jan 8, 2009
    Bad. Ledger ruined the film. Re-edited to get all joker scenes in. If Heath gets an ocar it is beacuse he died and nothing to do with acting.
  70. tk
    Feb 10, 2009
    This movie was no good the plot was the same old same old
  71. PaulW.
    Oct 2, 2008
    Batmanan has a speech impediment; the Joker needs a chap stick to nurse his dry lips; the script is sophomoric; the girl anything but sexy; the photography chaotic. Found it so boring I almost fell asleep. For a guy who adored the comic strip when he was a kid this just doesn't hack it.
  72. JayB.
    Oct 22, 2008
    EXTREMELY overrated. Too long, bland overacting on Christian Bale's part, a forgettable Maggie Gyllenhaal and two-face, pretentious scatterbrained writing and plot, not to mention it lacks the "dark" part in dark knight; completely cheesy. Speaking of cheesy, Batman's voice...wow. The ONLY thing that saved this movie was Heath Ledger, and now he's dead. The franchise is over.
  73. JeffG.
    Jul 21, 2008
    I love dark movies -- Pan's Labyrinth, Apocalypse Now -- but Dark Knight isn't dark: it's sick. If you like horror movies like Hostel and Saw III, maybe this'll be up your line -- but come on: a cell phone stitched into a guy's stomach and rigged to explode crosses a line for me. There's no point, no message, just sick, disturbing sadism.
  74. ScottM.
    Jul 22, 2008
    I like superhero movies. This is the worst superhero movie I've ever seen. Christian Bale gave the worst performance I've seen from him. Heath Ledger gave a mediocre impersonation of Jim Carrey mixed with Jack Nicholson. His make up was good, but that's about the best I can say. The movie had nothing to say. The dialog was bad. The special effects were okay, but nothing I like superhero movies. This is the worst superhero movie I've ever seen. Christian Bale gave the worst performance I've seen from him. Heath Ledger gave a mediocre impersonation of Jim Carrey mixed with Jack Nicholson. His make up was good, but that's about the best I can say. The movie had nothing to say. The dialog was bad. The special effects were okay, but nothing special and there was not an ounce of coolness in the movie. I am completely mystified by the high ratings people give this movie. Expand
  75. A.R.
    Jul 23, 2008
    This movie is no fun. It satisfies the fanboys' desire to have their comic book heroes taken seriously. That's where I think all this fan adulation is coming from. But that totally misses the point. Where's the fun? Where is the superheroic fantasy adventure? The self-referential coyness? This Batman is scary and repulsive. The little boy in me doesn
  76. JoelA
    Jul 28, 2008
    trite, predictable, boring, long-winded. Christian bale's muppet-voice was the low point of the movie.
  77. JulianC.
    Jul 30, 2008
    Has nothing over Batman Begins!!!!
  78. Bobbie
    Aug 10, 2008
    Overhyped and overrated. Not well done. If not for Heath Ledger dying this movie would have a score of about 6. Bad Batman film who was 3rd string.
  79. Sasha
    Aug 27, 2008
    Historically, the most overhyped movie ever released. This corny monstrosity beats any Michael Bay film in the size of nativity. Plus the amount of epilogs is just overwhelming. Everyone sacrifices for everyone, and the bad guy is flipping a coin for every hostage. Pathetic.
  80. TerryN.
    Aug 9, 2008
    Very disappointing after the rave reviews - I fell asleep twice - mindless teenage twaddle.
  81. PeteS.
    Sep 23, 2008
    Walked out after the 70 minute mark, there's only so much overlong pointless and ridicluously illogical action without plot one can take. Should have been called Transformers II. A pork chop labelled as a steak.
  82. JoePeterssen
    Sep 26, 2008
    A very average film. Heath Ledger created a fine Joker, but to compare him with Nicholson and favor him is insulting. He's essentially just playing a pretty generic psychotic role in the mantle of the joker and can't really dazzle after a scene or two. Christian Bale is completely wooden in his role as Bruce Wayne and Batman seemed to be in the movie just to warrant this movie toA very average film. Heath Ledger created a fine Joker, but to compare him with Nicholson and favor him is insulting. He's essentially just playing a pretty generic psychotic role in the mantle of the joker and can't really dazzle after a scene or two. Christian Bale is completely wooden in his role as Bruce Wayne and Batman seemed to be in the movie just to warrant this movie to be called a sequal.
    Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman are there to lend credibility and when they were on the screen, the movie was actually pretty great. Pitty though that they only got about 1 % of the movie's screen time. Aaron Eckhardt was given nada to work with and was equally wasted. But who can really be surprised. Just too many inane plot turns which just pulls you further and further away from wanting to find out where it all was heading. I Walked out after the 90 minute mark to get a smoke and didn't bother to walk back into the theatre.
    The evening was saved appraoching a pretty girl at the bar serving overpriced booze. We ended up at her place and we danced till the first rays of morning sunlight found their way through the raggid drapes covering a cracked windowpane. As she peeled of my clothes as if I was a ripe tangerine, she whispered softly in my ear a mantra of passion.
    Film: 1/****
    Night: 4/****
  83. PeterS.
    Jan 14, 2009
    Extremely overrated film. Jack Nicholson did a much better job with the role of the joker. Chris Bale's acting was mediocre. A predictable plot. Definitely not worthy of all the praise it's been receiving. As far as batman films go, the last one (Batman Begins) was more satisfying.
  84. zeldies
    Jan 27, 2009
    Lousy movie; boring; bad guys are recasts of bad 70's movie; this only gets hype because of Heath Ledger's death. wish more people were brave enough to say so. a 10 year old could have made this a better more wicked movie. even the makeup on Heath was ridiculous.
  85. Anonymous
    Oct 9, 2009
    I really wanted to like this film, with all the pre-release hype and positive comments from critics/the general public it seemed that it would be a film with which could be engaged with at an intellectual level. Boy was I wrong! It turned out to be a poorly constructed political thriller with way too many plot turns than sense and a run time which would make even the most composed peopleI really wanted to like this film, with all the pre-release hype and positive comments from critics/the general public it seemed that it would be a film with which could be engaged with at an intellectual level. Boy was I wrong! It turned out to be a poorly constructed political thriller with way too many plot turns than sense and a run time which would make even the most composed people become mind numbingly bored. Sure the movie had some great elements, a fantastic, and haunting score, ridiculous stunts, and a few noteworthy scenes by the late Heath Ledger, although the performance on a whole was average, certainly not Oscar worthy when stacked up next to the performance by Robert Downey Jnr. in Expand
  86. DougR.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Good acting does not make up for a poor story and worse plot. If you were a thief and a career criminal would you sign on to work for the fellow who murdered all his accomplices on a bank job? Would this same fellow have such a great following that his army of loyal criminal followers would plant explosives to implode an entire hospital and for fun plant more explosives on two ships to Good acting does not make up for a poor story and worse plot. If you were a thief and a career criminal would you sign on to work for the fellow who murdered all his accomplices on a bank job? Would this same fellow have such a great following that his army of loyal criminal followers would plant explosives to implode an entire hospital and for fun plant more explosives on two ships to play russian roulette just for the fun of it...no money? What a crock. Dumbest story and most out of character foolishness I've ever seen in a Batman comic or movie. Bush's crazy terrorist run amock...yea right. Expand
  87. LouisK
    Jan 16, 2010
    There's so much I can say of this movie, firstly it has too many useless sub-plots, we kind of saw this same thing in Spider-man 3 but at least those were connected to the main story. Second, it's a PG-13 film and it starts with an action scene, that's good, but it then throws in 20 minutes of politics and boring non-sense that would make anyone sleep. Third, it There's so much I can say of this movie, firstly it has too many useless sub-plots, we kind of saw this same thing in Spider-man 3 but at least those were connected to the main story. Second, it's a PG-13 film and it starts with an action scene, that's good, but it then throws in 20 minutes of politics and boring non-sense that would make anyone sleep. Third, it doesn't even have much to do with Batman, yes, it did focus on the Joker, Dent and Bruce Wayne, but at the end it only appeared to be focused on the environments and not the story. It's good that it doesn't go with the predictable ending cliche of most films nowadays, but hell, I'm a Batman fan, been one since a child and I couldn't even keep up with the film, when it ended I didn't even know what had happened. Definitely overrated. Expand
  88. StanleyK.
    Nov 14, 2008
    Totally OVERRATED. Boring film, poor idea. Nolan should not continue Batman like this. Heath Ledger's performance was good, but he was not The Joker we all know.
  89. Goffy
    Jul 21, 2008
    Batman was used as a guise to draw us into a slasher movie. With HL dying the advance PR worked fabulously. If not for the PR this movie would draw flies. The PG 13 rating only goes to prove that the Motion Picture ratings can be bought. Do not bring any children to this bloodfest.
  90. CreW.
    Aug 12, 2008
    A boring action movie.
  91. noop
    Jun 27, 2009
    Pretentious and dull movie. Most episodes of Batman the animated series are MUCH better than this. It is too serious and too shallow at the same time.
  92. blablabla
    Dec 23, 2008
    what a super snooze. the acting, especially from that maggie granny face gylenhaal, is atrocious - the one liners are cheesy without the kitsch factor. so done before, every inch of it felt like watching a 90's movie. dreary and drab. me and my mate left before the end i dont ever care to know.
  93. jv
    Dec 25, 2008
    Episodic, hard to follow, dumb, and the girl was unappealing. Yes, Heath Ledger was great, but the movie was not worth sitting through to watch his performance. The Batman movies are just aggregations of special effects shlock, fluff-candy for the masses.
  94. Jul 14, 2014
    I really think people might have fell into the hype of this movie a lot too much, besides Heath Ledger this movie is not that good. I can think of one word to describe this movie and that word is OVERRATED.
  95. May 23, 2014
    This movie is so dry, pretentious and humorless that my cat became depressed after watching it with me and starved herself to death. Also all the expository dialogue and mindless pop philosophy made me schizophrenic. I'm now sharpening my knives and ordering the Halloween mask from EBay. Close your windows, Chris "Pretentious Hack" Nolan, I'm gonna avenge my kitty!
  96. Aug 16, 2014
    The dark knight is not a superhero film but a film about a messed up rich guy who wears a clad black suit like a pornstar and some psychotic hippy clown criminal who has a confusing personality. That's right folks I'm calling this film not the best because it has no super in it and gives you a sad and disappointing view of real life. The plot, characters, and whole presence makes you soThe dark knight is not a superhero film but a film about a messed up rich guy who wears a clad black suit like a pornstar and some psychotic hippy clown criminal who has a confusing personality. That's right folks I'm calling this film not the best because it has no super in it and gives you a sad and disappointing view of real life. The plot, characters, and whole presence makes you so pissed off and the critics call it the perfect superhero film what a load of **** Yeah I just said it **** and who really cars if I say a few swear words, it just my own opinion. The most part that makes me angry is that health ledger's joker is the supervillain, I prefer the Jack Nicholson version and to give a dead guy a award for good acting is like walking off a bridge. I admit some of the action scenes were cool but I'm no batman fan. I'm a loyal superman fan and I think the man of steel is way better than this crappy film. So that's my review of a extremely overrated film that died so much in disgrace that it could never make me pleasant Expand
  97. Feb 20, 2015
    Il peggior Joker che abbia mai visto, niente a che spartire con Jack Nicholson, e poi vogliamo parlare di Due Facce? Un personaggio buttato lì solo per riempire una mezz'oretta di film in più
  98. Mar 7, 2015
    most overrated movie i've ever seen in entire my life. it's not even close to classic movies such as the godfather, the lord of the rings, casablanca, citizen kane and etc.
  99. JoshC
    Jul 29, 2008
    Good: -Heath Ledger gives brilliant performance, as do Gary Oldman, Michael Cane, and Morgan Freeman -Dark, very dark -Action sequences less garbled (couldn't tell who was winning in the last film) -First half of film Bad: -2 and 1/2 hours long!!!!! -No plot, at all -Christian Bale's deep voice makes it hard to tell what he's saying and makes his performance laughable Good: -Heath Ledger gives brilliant performance, as do Gary Oldman, Michael Cane, and Morgan Freeman -Dark, very dark -Action sequences less garbled (couldn't tell who was winning in the last film) -First half of film Bad: -2 and 1/2 hours long!!!!! -No plot, at all -Christian Bale's deep voice makes it hard to tell what he's saying and makes his performance laughable -Maggie Gyllenhaal cannot save character from being annoying -Mixed dialogue -Dark, very dark -Two-Face not developed enough -The second half of the movie. Expand

May be the most hopeless, despairing comic-book movie in memory. It creates a world where being a superhero is at best a double-edged sword and no triumph is likely to be anything but short-lived.
  2. Mixing bravura filmmaking with flat clichés in about equal amounts, The Dark Knight is all about dualism. Appropriately, the movie's half-inspired, half-frustrating.
  3. An action blockbuster extravaganza that's sadder than sad and never pretends otherwise.