6.6

1. Sep 5, 2011
    In what had the potential to be a gripping thriller, The Debt takes way too long to get to its interesting plot twist, which turns out to be poorly overwritten, pathetically directed and mind-numbingly paced, even stellar acting pedigree cannot save this immensely bad film.
  2. Sep 9, 2011
    Overrated movie by critics. It was nothing good watching and I would definetely not recommend going to it. Plot is terrible, acting is so so, and it makes movie lookd bad.
  3. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had high hopes for The Debt, which is why I'm sorry to give it such a low rating. It's billed as a thriller, but the parts that are supposed to be thrilling never really had me on the edge of my seat. Part of the problem stems from the "revised history" they show the audience at the beginning of the film. This alludes to a portion of the story that it then takes them roughly an hour to actually reach, so everyone is well aware of where the movie will eventually go. Also, I was a little put off by the deception perpetrated by the main characters. Essentially, the "good guys" don't come off as very good at all. Long story short: The Debt suffers from some poor pacing and awkward storytelling. And it's a bit of a downer. Expand
  4. Sep 11, 2011
    Plodding, that is the best way to describe this movie. It has the right elements but not put together in a way that keep you wondering. Now maybe that is unfair because halfway through the movie I couldn't take it any more and walked out. I don't do that often but I just couldn't take it any longer. See on DVD so you can fast forward.
  5. Mar 13, 2012
    An average plot that ends with the usual good vs bad, with good conscious prevailing. The acting should be better with who they've cast however its hard not to notice the distinct Australian accent in Sam Worthington's Younger David, who is supposed to be Jewish. Not to mention he looks nothing like Ciarán Hinds who plays Older David. David as a character was selfish andAn average plot that ends with the usual good vs bad, with good conscious prevailing. The acting should be better with who they've cast however its hard not to notice the distinct Australian accent in Sam Worthington's Younger David, who is supposed to be Jewish. Not to mention he looks nothing like Ciarán Hinds who plays Older David. David as a character was selfish and emotionally convoluted and actually cheapens the impact of the film. The pace of the movie was to slow to get to its interesting point showing unoriginal subpar directing. The action filled scenes won't put you to sleep but they aren't great either. Rent or download, not worth the price of a cinema ticket. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Sep 26, 2011
    A smart, tense, well-acted thriller undercut by a disappointing finale and an occasional lack of focus. But at least this offers something for those looking for a film with more on its mind than simple set-pieces.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Sep 7, 2011
    Christensen plays him with Lecter-like intensity; the unsettling calmness of someone capable of anything.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Sep 5, 2011
    As with Spielberg's "Munich," there is an awkward, irresoluble tension between the movie's urge to thrill and the weighty pull of the historical obligations that it seeks to assume. How much, to be blunt, should we be enjoying ourselves? What do we owe to The Debt? Whatever the sum, it is more than the film itself, gloomy with unease, seems able to repay.