The Departed

7.6

1. May 21, 2013
    An excellent film with an outstanding cast brilliant direction and genius writing and a spectacular ending. This is one of the finest films of Scorsese since Goodfellas & Taxi Driver.
  2. JustinG.
    Nov 5, 2007
    It seems as if the Christian fundies have invaded this site. This film is truly one of my favorite films, ever. A true gangster film, with a great story, great acting, and overall an exceptional film.
  3. RickyQ.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Great story, great acting, great film.
  4. VamsiK.
    Nov 26, 2006
    I think it will be the best movie of 2006. If you haven
  5. Eon
    Nov 4, 2006
    What a nice return to the good stuff from the director. I don't think it's his best since "Goodfellas" ( I think "Casino" is) , but it is really one of his best. And definitely best Dicaprio's work.
  6. RM.
    Oct 30, 2006
    Slightly overrated. The acting was superb from all quarters, EVERYONE. But Di Caprio carried the movie. I actually wanted to see more of Mark Whalberg in this film, his character was intense. Matt was Matt (his best work for me with regards to Damon to this day still remains to be the first remake of the Bourne Identity, but he did a good job here too). Jack was Jack and you can't Slightly overrated. The acting was superb from all quarters, EVERYONE. But Di Caprio carried the movie. I actually wanted to see more of Mark Whalberg in this film, his character was intense. Matt was Matt (his best work for me with regards to Damon to this day still remains to be the first remake of the Bourne Identity, but he did a good job here too). Jack was Jack and you can't say anything more. But Leo was definitely the character I empathized with the most and like I said he carried the film. Maybe it was all the hype leading up to me seeing the movie that let me down a bit though the ending was really good. 8/8 Worth the $$$. Expand
  7. BarryA.
    Sep 9, 2007
    One of the best movies I have ever seen! It keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time. The actings fantastic, the music is great. This movie is thrilling, unpredictable, and amazing!
  8. marcvs
    Feb 12, 2007
    the film was great. all of the complaints people have about it are invalid. the plot was great, the acting suited the film perfectly, and character development worked well. if people can't understand the motivation of a character in a film directed this well, it's the fault of their incompetence, not poor screenwriting or directing or acting. the film is by no means "safe", thethe film was great. all of the complaints people have about it are invalid. the plot was great, the acting suited the film perfectly, and character development worked well. if people can't understand the motivation of a character in a film directed this well, it's the fault of their incompetence, not poor screenwriting or directing or acting. the film is by no means "safe", the editing was very sporatic for effect and necessity and the cursing realistic... if you want to be shocked for shock's sake, watch hobos fight on the internet. Expand
  9. Jun 22, 2013
    Just a fantastic film. Each and every actor does such a marvelous job and the movie leaves you wanting more, which is the key reason why this is a 10. The end was great, but yet, I still want more. I'm almost sad that the movie is over. Highly recommend. Fantastic film.
  10. Mar 19, 2012
    The film is not a film like taxi driver or Raging bull but, it is instead a regular crime thriller film with scorcesse's special touch. This film would have been just an average film if it werent for 2 things. Scorcesse's direction and the acting ensemble. The films writting is also masterful but, it works extremely well because of the acting. Overall a great film.
  11. JimmyH
    Oct 6, 2006
    Phenomenal. Definitely as good (if not better) than Goodfellas.
  12. Jan 16, 2011
    One of Scorsese's most brilliant works. It may be an adaptation, but the rebirth is stronger like a phoenix. Strong, strong acting, excellent directing, and involving storyline make this mob thriller one of the highlight films of the year.
  13. Jan 21, 2011
    Mr. Scorsese just put me in a position, after watching this movie, to be appalled at how gruesome and unnecessarily violent this movie is, or to say, "What a masterpiece!" I think I'll go with the latter.
  14. SimonM.
    Sep 3, 2007
    Marty does it again!! and I really really hate DeCaprio (this is baseless old fashioned, old school unreasoning hate, like a clan member but instead of ethnic groups I hate the beautiful people who get to eat cheese burgers off of super model asses!)
  15. JasonB.
    Dec 19, 2006
    This Movie is one of the best on the past decade. Excellent job.
  16. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: Crime film is very thrilling, hard to stop watching. Deserving of its Best Picture Oscar.

Scorsese directs a violent update of the well-known Chinese mob film, INFERNAL AFFAIRS, from just four years prior. Set in Boston, Massachusetts, the story tells of a mob boss named Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson) who sends out a criminal, Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon). Simultaneously, the local police have sent out Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) to infiltrate Costelloâ
  17. JasonJ.
    Mar 5, 2007
    America has forgotten what makes a truly great movie. Is this movie way better than most in recent years? Yes. Is this movie Shawshank Redemption or The God Father 2? No. Why? It lacks inclusion. It's an art that is hard to master and hard to explain. Basically, it's a lack of connection between myself (the audience) and the characters. At the end when everyone gets shot, I America has forgotten what makes a truly great movie. Is this movie way better than most in recent years? Yes. Is this movie Shawshank Redemption or The God Father 2? No. Why? It lacks inclusion. It's an art that is hard to master and hard to explain. Basically, it's a lack of connection between myself (the audience) and the characters. At the end when everyone gets shot, I really didn't care too much about any of the characters' fates. Maybe it's the tabloid cast. We know so much about these people personally, it might as well be our parents or friends on screen. We know that DiCaprio gets up from the floor, cleans off the fake bullet hole in his head, and goes back to his perfect "real" life of fame and wealth. We weren't so certain about that back in 1992 with Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. We need to either stop with the tabloids or find new actors that will enable our suspension of disbelief again. Expand
  18. EricC.
    Mar 1, 2007
    It was a blast to watch. One of the best times I had at the movies in a while. But Best Picture? Someones trying way to hard to please some Scorsese fans. You can't call it original, since it's based on Infernal Affairs (which is far better, from what I hear). The acting is over the top and deeply lacking in depth. Leanardo is angry the whole movie (even during love scenes), It was a blast to watch. One of the best times I had at the movies in a while. But Best Picture? Someones trying way to hard to please some Scorsese fans. You can't call it original, since it's based on Infernal Affairs (which is far better, from what I hear). The acting is over the top and deeply lacking in depth. Leanardo is angry the whole movie (even during love scenes), Nicholson is crazy the whole movie (never saw that before... wait, yes I have), Damon was a jerk the whole movie. Should I keep going through the entire cast? I had fun, yeah, but I also had fun in Pirates of the Carribean and Talledega Nights. Should they have been nominated too? Expand
  19. ZachG
    Oct 18, 2006
    It's a wonder Scorsese can be so monotonic and still be considered a great director. The script's quite witty and the plot's awesome, but towards the end Scorsese is obliged to drag the ending in order to get some puddles of blood in. Also, some multi-dimensional characters would be nice.
  20. NathanaelC
    Jul 29, 2007
    Alright lets not lose our heads here.... this was far from being an awful movie however it did have flaws. Basically when Dicaprio is the best gangsta we have a problem. I mean give me pesci deniro and liotta anyday over these pretty boys.
  21. Aug 16, 2010
    Not as good as Scorsese's transcendant "Goodfellas", but what film could be compared to that masterpiece other than "The Godfather"? It's pretty shocking to see that this is the only film directed by Scorsese that ever won Best Picture (not that it matters), because I can think of four or five films that I prefer of his over "The Departed". Maybe what this film does more than anything isNot as good as Scorsese's transcendant "Goodfellas", but what film could be compared to that masterpiece other than "The Godfather"? It's pretty shocking to see that this is the only film directed by Scorsese that ever won Best Picture (not that it matters), because I can think of four or five films that I prefer of his over "The Departed". Maybe what this film does more than anything is show how illustrious and superb Scorsese's career has been. Expand
  22. Sep 27, 2010
    very very very good film problem is i gave it a 7 only because he stole the idea from another film which means i have to mark it down i would have given it like a 9
  23. Dec 25, 2011
    Overall Movie: 8 Acting: 9 Storyline: 7 Although there are gaps in the storyline, the ferocious acting makes this crime drama a hit. The only Scorsese film this beats is Taxi Driver. I'm afraid Raging Bull and Goodfellas are better.
  24. Aug 30, 2013
    It was good. It is a classic Crime Picture, but it is not for 10. In every dialogue we can see that there is a bad word. I like bad words in movies but not so many!!
  25. PaulB.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Excellent acting/great script/good camera work. It does NOT seem like 2.5 hours long!!!
  26. RandyL.
    Oct 10, 2006
    Very bloody which is not my cup of tea. The acting is excellent and the ending is a bit contrived. But this is still a very good movie, not great mind you, but very, very good. DiCaprio comes of age as one of America's best actors.
  27. scotth
    Dec 23, 2006
    One of best stories seen in the movies over the past years. Keeps you in the edge for 2/3 of the movie - yet does not completely satisfy.
  28. Mike
    Oct 3, 2006
    While a very good movie, I found some of the basic elements of the plot hard to believe. Just a couple kinks ironed out and this is a movie that lived up to the hype. But, as it stands, it is only an almost.
  29. J.
    Oct 5, 2006
    Marty's best in 15 years, a blistering slow-burner of a movie. The final minutes are among the best ever in ANY movie. Don't miss it for the world!
  30. DanA.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Scorsese's best effort in years - nearly as good as Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, and likely the equal of Goodfellas.
  31. BlancoA.
    Oct 7, 2006
    Simply an outstanding film. If you like movies, you know what to do. I read recently the Jack Nicholson, more than any other actor in Hollywood, enjoys the craft of acting, and that is borne out in a big way in this film. And Leo is incredible. Freakin' incredible. Matt Damon plays Matt Damon, but his vanilla performance is not nearly enough to knock this down to a 9. If the film is Simply an outstanding film. If you like movies, you know what to do. I read recently the Jack Nicholson, more than any other actor in Hollywood, enjoys the craft of acting, and that is borne out in a big way in this film. And Leo is incredible. Freakin' incredible. Matt Damon plays Matt Damon, but his vanilla performance is not nearly enough to knock this down to a 9. If the film is not nomiated for a golden stiff, that show is more f-ed up than I already think it is. Whalberg, Winstone, Sheen - every supporting actor is phenomenal. I'm not going to reveal any plot points in this review, and I'd hate for people to spoil the experience of this film for others by doing so. Scorsese has created a worthy follow-up to Goodfellas. Again, you know what to do. Expand
  32. AmarT.
    Oct 8, 2006
    Gripping tense edge of the seat tale of mob vs the law. Otustanding starcast, story, screenplay and direction.
  33. BrendanW.
    Oct 9, 2006
    This movie is awesome on every level. Great directing, editing, music, and acting by a great cast. Movies don't get much better than this.
  34. PaulL.
    Jan 11, 2007
    So here's the crux. If you think Scorcese is one of the greatest filmmakers of our time and probably the best of the crime/mafia genre, then youl'll love this film because it's simply one of his best. If you don't, then you'll probably hate this film like you hate Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, and Casino.
  35. ChadN.
    Jan 19, 2007
    This movie is by far the best of the year. Best movie Scorcese has made since the classic Goodfellas! And I saw Babel and Dream Girls and it will be a tragedy if it doesn't win the academy award for best picture
  36. FilazaferX.
    Feb 26, 2007
    The movie is highly entertaining, but the ending was terrible. It's that simple. I was a prime example of writing a movie, but not knowing how to end it. It was just plan silly and very disappointing.
  37. JackT.
    Mar 14, 2007
    This is NOT Scorcese's best film (The Aviator, Goodfellas, and Raging Bull come to mind). Scorcese didn't win the Oscar for this film; he won it for his entire body of work. That said, under the direction of anyone else, this would be a bloated, 3+ hour, middling crime affair. But there are two things that set The Departed apart from the rest of the pack: 1. Williams This is NOT Scorcese's best film (The Aviator, Goodfellas, and Raging Bull come to mind). Scorcese didn't win the Oscar for this film; he won it for his entire body of work. That said, under the direction of anyone else, this would be a bloated, 3+ hour, middling crime affair. But there are two things that set The Departed apart from the rest of the pack: 1. Williams Monahan's script (the dialogue is unbelievable!), and 2. Scorcese's direction. Scorcese takes Monahan's adaptation of Infernal Affairs, puts the pedal to the metal, and takes you for an intense ride doesn't stop for 150 minutes. The film moves with such breakneck pacing that you just might come out of it with whiplash. This is a pure testosterone fest, so if you have any of that floating around inside you you're bound to enjoy it. Not the best movie of the year by any means (that would be Children of Men), should not have won Best Picture (should have gone to Letters or Babel), but a very entertaining entry in the crime genre. Expand
  38. ChadeW.
    Apr 30, 2007
    The Departed- Leo's an enraged and violent cop infiltrating the mob, Matty-boy is a clean-slate gangster infiltrating the cops, Jackie Nickles is the puppet master with the strings on Matt, and Marky Mark is the foul-mouthed spotlight-stealer. This film was genius; from its perfect cast and amazing screenplay to the twisty-turny, edge-of-your-seat story, this film just rocks. The Departed- Leo's an enraged and violent cop infiltrating the mob, Matty-boy is a clean-slate gangster infiltrating the cops, Jackie Nickles is the puppet master with the strings on Matt, and Marky Mark is the foul-mouthed spotlight-stealer. This film was genius; from its perfect cast and amazing screenplay to the twisty-turny, edge-of-your-seat story, this film just rocks. It's a cool, yet hectic and chaotic look at the Boston Mafia. Tension ensues with each and every character, true-to-life events change the outlook everyone has on each-other, and fear of being caught is within every frame of this modern crime classic. From the shocking begining to the equally shocking (some may say confusing at first, but they get it sooner or later) and clap-worthy ending, The Departed never stops thrilling or teasing or shocking. Once you think it's over, its sooo far from it. A fantastic piece of cinima and one of my favorite movies of the 21st century. Expand
  39. JB
    May 29, 2007
    Cracking bit of cinema, from opening speach to breathless ending. Superb acting, superb direction and top class casting. deserving of all plaudits it has received and more.
  40. JustinH.
    Feb 8, 2008
    Great movie over all, lots of suspense and twists and turns. Keeps you guessing on who's going to get caught on either side.
  41. DanD.
    Nov 10, 2006
    One of the best I've seen in the past two years. EASILLY better than Crash, and that won a bunch of awards. Many great stars, each in which is probably my favorite of their roles in a long time.
  42. Tonydannie
    Oct 10, 2006
    An A-List Cast, Great Score, Great Photography and Scorsese is in top form. This is A must see!
  43. MikeC.
    This Is THE BEST MOVIE OF THIS YEAR and I hope Eastwood doesn
  44. BruceR
    Oct 12, 2006
    Just walked out of this picture with a huge smile on my face. Absolutely loved it, on all levels. First time I've ever enjoyed watching Leo. Every member of the cast was absolutely terrific.
  45. BitBurn
    Oct 12, 2006
    Very good cop movie. Although, a little too violent for my taste. Very well acted. Excellent storyline.
  46. MariaJ.
    Nov 30, 2006
    At last something serious at the cinema, could have been better but will do. Slightly predictable but never boring. Leonardo DiCaprio is very convincing and glides through the screen so skillfully you take your eyes off him. Jack Nicholson uses all his tricks but he isn't boring. Good movie for an autumn afternoon.
  47. KoreyW.
    Oct 10, 2006
    Awesome movie!! The acting was great, but the story was even better. You never know how the movie is going to end. Good feeling when watching a movie.
  48. WadeT.
    Oct 16, 2006
    The Departed has its intentions in the right place with a good story and a great director returning to his most well-known genre, however Scorsese's choices are almost over-the-top A-list casts prevents the film from the authentic feeling a film on the mean streets requires. Di Caprio and Damon are great in their signature roles but performances by Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, The Departed has its intentions in the right place with a good story and a great director returning to his most well-known genre, however Scorsese's choices are almost over-the-top A-list casts prevents the film from the authentic feeling a film on the mean streets requires. Di Caprio and Damon are great in their signature roles but performances by Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen heck even Alex Baldwin is so over the top and hammy that you are constantly reminded of this being a big budget production. A smaller cast looking less to overwhelm the camera would've served the story better. Expand
  49. JordanC
    Oct 16, 2006
    Excellent movie, highly recommend.
  50. JeanP.
    Oct 17, 2006
    One of the best movies I've seen in a very, very long time. Acting, directing, screenplay all Oscar Material
  51. MattO.
    Oct 10, 2006
    Completely entertaining from credit to credit. Usually, a cast with this many all-stars tends to be disappointing, but everyone was absolutely on top of their game for this one. Once again, Scorsese is king of the mountain.
  52. BilB.
    Dec 10, 2006
    Jack gave a flawless performance. Leo was torn up, put thru the ringer, and pulled it off excellently. I'm glad I saw this on the big screen and not waited for the DVD.
  53. JoeB.
    Oct 20, 2006
    To say this is the best film of the year would be insulting it in a sea of garbage. It is a GREAT movie. Period. Great cast, great script, great Scorcese, A film for adults. What a novelty!
  54. MattY.
    Oct 20, 2006
    Long nap? are you kidding? how can you sleep through this awesomely acted, well performed performances of Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Matt Damon? And Alec Baldwin is totally gold in this film. This is definitely one of the best films made this year. DEFINITELY. Write it down. "Huh. She fell funny." - Frank Costello
  55. WillT.
    Oct 20, 2006
    Colorful, enjoyable and well shot. However, the use of violence to hold interest toward the end is disappointing, violence for the sake of violence. Moreover, Mark Wahlberg was laughable as always. Would still recommend going and seeing it, but don't expect any crazy twists.
  56. se
    Dec 27, 2006
    Much like other scorsese mafia films. not a bad film but nothing new.
  57. GB
    Oct 20, 2006
    Gorgeous, great actors, amazing direction.
  58. MarkBayer
    Dec 7, 2006
    With just days left before it becomes permanent history, 2006 has carved out a reputation for itself as The Year Of Diminished Expectations. Politically, this made sense--electing a number of less-than-completely-inspiring individuals to Congress was worth it in order to restore America's two-party system--but on the film front it doesn't make much sense. Moviegoers and With just days left before it becomes permanent history, 2006 has carved out a reputation for itself as The Year Of Diminished Expectations. Politically, this made sense--electing a number of less-than-completely-inspiring individuals to Congress was worth it in order to restore America's two-party system--but on the film front it doesn't make much sense. Moviegoers and reviewers (perhaps overreacting to a dumber-than-usual summer) have far too enthusiastically embraced such well-intentioned but seriously flawed early fall efforts as The Illusionist, Hollywoodland and Little Miss Sunshine, and in many instances pounced upon disappointing work from Clint Eastwood and the Pixar people (and shockingly bad work from the blokes at Aardman) like a starved dog jumps on a particularly realistic-looking chew toy, so why shouldn't they respond any differently to Scorsese's latest, however second-rate by his own standards it may be? Don't get me wrong: there's a lot to enjoy and even appreciate about his elaborate, entertaining (and overlong) cops-and-criminals chess game, but I've seen Mean Streets, Taxi Driver and GoodFellas, and this is no...well, you get my drift. It's suddenly become fashionable to do a bit of Monday-morning-two-years-later quarterbacking regarding the great director's Howard Hughes bio The Aviator, but that had much more to say, expressed with a great deal more originality, about old Hollywood than this does about the underworld, the police or anything other than Scorsese's past genre work, of which this mostly comes off as a twice-removed carbon copy. That said, it's still better than most of currently what's out there; Scorsese's use of sudden, shocking violence as near-comedy (whenever you see anything made of glass in the frame, you know that neither it nor a nearby human face is safe) is fascinating, and his work with all the actors (except one) is unquestionable. He gets great mileage out of how much his baby-faced leads Leonardo DiCaprio (playing a cop posing as a crook) and Matt Damon (vice versa) resemble each other, and Marc Wahlberg (an uneven actor who's about as good as his directors; his recent, very routine performance in Invincible underscores this) is a joy to watch and listen to as a flamboyantly foulmouthed police official with more dimension and heart than you'd originally guess he had. Unfortunately, Scorsese seems unable or unwilling to prevent Jack Nicholson from interpreting his role as anything more surprising or substantial than Jack-the-Joker-in-the-Mob; didn't either the actor or the director realize that Nicholson's most effective late-career performances by far are the ones where he drops the familiar schtick and buries himself in his character, UNDERPLAYING his roles in The Pledge and (especially) About Schmidt? It's a tough assessment, but ultimately his work here, for all its showiness and theatricality, bears no more weight or complexity than his mailed-in turn as Adam Sandler's tormentor in Anger Management. The push to finally give eternal bridesmaid Scorsese the Oscar may prove overwhelming (to say nothing of the movie itself winning Best Picture and being the only remake to do so other than Ben-Hur in 1959) and as a result he could end up picking one up for what is essentially quite enjoyable but far from his best work. But then, Billy Wilder won for The Lost Weekend rather than Double Indemnity, Sir Carol Reed for Oliver! rather than The Third Man, and George Cukor for My Fair Lady rather than virtually anything else he did...so what else is new? Expand
  59. RandyL
    Oct 30, 2006
    Fabulous. I'd like to ask Jack how long he practiced for the rat face scene... I mean.. the crew that shot that scene must have doubled up laughing... it's just unforgettable. This movie doesn't quite reach Cuckoo's Nest but dang it's close!
  60. ColleenD.
    Oct 5, 2006
    This is what filmmaking has been trying to get at for the past few years. A piece that grabs you from the first scene and plays your emotions with mastery until the last frame.
  61. LucyR.
    Oct 5, 2006
    By far, one of the best movies of the year. My favorite Scorsese movie since Goodfellas. The first one this year with a great cast that did not disappoint.
  62. LaurenceC.
    Awesome. Well-acted. Well-written. Better than Casino or Goodfellas
  63. AnnM.
    Oct 6, 2006
    One of the best films I have seen, ever. DiCaprio was the best in an cast of great actors.
  64. StephenI.
    Oct 6, 2006
    WOW mind-blowing, amazing, and etc. One of my favorite movies of all time. Give Scorsese the Oscar he deserves!
  65. KishoreKraleti
    Oct 6, 2006
    Best thing about it is, it always keeps you guessing. As we go into it, it explains events building screenplay. It
  66. Lynn
    Oct 6, 2006
    Wow wow wow. If this doesn't earn Scorsese an Oscar, nothing ever will.
  67. NathanT.
    Oct 6, 2006
    I don't want to jinx anything, but my gut tells me that Scorcese's long overdue Oscar is imminent with this instant classic of a film that is his best since "Goodfellas." The film on which it was based on, the 2003 Chinese police thriller "Infernal Affairs" was an excellent film; this is a great one. It doesn't arrive at greatness by way of perfection (neither did the I don't want to jinx anything, but my gut tells me that Scorcese's long overdue Oscar is imminent with this instant classic of a film that is his best since "Goodfellas." The film on which it was based on, the 2003 Chinese police thriller "Infernal Affairs" was an excellent film; this is a great one. It doesn't arrive at greatness by way of perfection (neither did the occasionally sprawling "Goodfellas"), but it gets there by being alive, thrilling, and gleefully politically incorrect. In a year that can, with a few exceptions (like "Half Nelson", "United 93", and "A Prairie Home Companion"), only be described as disappointing, Scorcese reemerges to show us how it's done. Bravo. Expand
  68. DWilly
    Oct 6, 2006
    A very cool movie with a monster performance from DiCaprio (the actor not only of his generation, but the one before him, too); Scorcese's craft is smoking off a really smart script and Damon's gift for committed detachment clicks. It might have risen above its meager theme to acheive classic status were it not for the spit-in-your-face ending and Nicholson's stupid A very cool movie with a monster performance from DiCaprio (the actor not only of his generation, but the one before him, too); Scorcese's craft is smoking off a really smart script and Damon's gift for committed detachment clicks. It might have risen above its meager theme to acheive classic status were it not for the spit-in-your-face ending and Nicholson's stupid performance. It's amazing that someone with Scorsese's artistic sense didn't edit out Nicholson's buffonery; or, better still, fired his indulgent ass and had the masterful Ray Winstone play his part. Expand
  69. RosemarySabo
    Oct 6, 2006
    It was a great movie with great acting by the masters. Ending was terrible! We needed to see what was in that envelope that DiCaprio gave to the girl!!!! Not sure why Matt Walburg, if he was a good cop, didn't bring him in. Why the covers on his shoes and the cap:???????
  70. AllisonF.
    Oct 6, 2006
    A classic gangster movie.
  71. AaronS.
    Oct 7, 2006
    Martin Scorsese's very fine remake of the HK film 'Infernal Affairs' is superior to the original. Crackling screenplay from William Monahan and superb acting from all involved. Top notch piece of entertainment that's a highlight of 2006 films.
  72. ShawnM.
    Oct 8, 2006
    Scorsese and the genre at their absolute best. There is no reason for anyone to miss this movie.
  73. Phil
    Oct 8, 2006
    Excellent, the first movie in a long time that was well worth the ticket price.
  74. Me
    Oct 9, 2006
    Really good movie. Complex and riveting.
  75. Moveigoer
    Oct 9, 2006
    Brilliant, eye-popping, scalding dialog, twisting absorbing plot, excrutiating tension building to a jaw-dropping finale. Performances: Nominations for Best Picture, Director, Actor(s) DeCaprio, Damon, Best Supporting: Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg. Jack is a bit over the top (but don't we want him to be) Leo is in fine form--but it is Matt Damon that steals the movie out from under them Brilliant, eye-popping, scalding dialog, twisting absorbing plot, excrutiating tension building to a jaw-dropping finale. Performances: Nominations for Best Picture, Director, Actor(s) DeCaprio, Damon, Best Supporting: Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg. Jack is a bit over the top (but don't we want him to be) Leo is in fine form--but it is Matt Damon that steals the movie out from under them all. He may win Best Actor for his best perf yet. Also Mark Wahlberg for best supporting actor with his brilliant venomous & profane outburts that scald your ears and the screen with their intensity. You will gasp and squirm as Scorcese the master tightens the screws. Will he finally get a Best Director nod? I think so. Expand
  76. JayK.
    Oct 9, 2006
    DiCaprio gives one of the best performances of his career in this film. Nicholson gives a very "creepy" performances (a very good thing!), and Damon continues to get much better roles than Ben Affleck. If you are a Scorsese fan you CANNOT be disappointed.
  77. Robert
    Superbly entertaining.
  78. Rev.R.
    Oct 9, 2006
    For those who love suspense and gritty realism this is a good movie. It has long been held that anger is one of the easier emotions for an actor to tap. However, DiCaprio taps a sense of rage so deeply and realistically that fire blazes from his every pore. Over the last thirty years no actor touches Nicholson's ability to entertain with sarcastic, arrogant devilishness. Though For those who love suspense and gritty realism this is a good movie. It has long been held that anger is one of the easier emotions for an actor to tap. However, DiCaprio taps a sense of rage so deeply and realistically that fire blazes from his every pore. Over the last thirty years no actor touches Nicholson's ability to entertain with sarcastic, arrogant devilishness. Though Wahlberg and Damon turn in strong supporting performances, it is Nicholson and DiCaprio that make the film work. The story and characters are too colorful for Scorsese to douse it in red. In an attempt to lend the film genuine realism Scorsese opted to test the audience's ability to stomach violence. I would rather have left disturbed and stunned than nauseated. Still, one of the years better movies. Expand
  79. WilliamsJ.
    Best Movie of 2006! It really should win best picture! I haven
  80. VictoriaS.
    Jan 8, 2007
    An absolutely wonderful, completely enthralling, movie-movie, "The Departed" is by far the most purely enjoyable Scorcese movie since "Raging Bull." With delightfully crackling and often extremely funny dialogue, beautifully realized details and superb acting, it creates a fascinating world, gripping until the last, deservedly silly, moment. Included is the best Jack Nicholson performance An absolutely wonderful, completely enthralling, movie-movie, "The Departed" is by far the most purely enjoyable Scorcese movie since "Raging Bull." With delightfully crackling and often extremely funny dialogue, beautifully realized details and superb acting, it creates a fascinating world, gripping until the last, deservedly silly, moment. Included is the best Jack Nicholson performance in years, and the absolute best work ever from Mark Wahlberg, far from his usual diffidence in a dynamic supporting role. Too long, by at least a half-hour, this is still the type of movie that reminds you of how magical movies can be. Expand
  81. DougB.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Definitely not Scorcese's best, but it is enjoyable. There were many questionable plot elements in the film and the characters many times acted in an illogical way (especially concerning the issue of figuring out who the "rat" in Nicholson's mob was--gee, I wonder who it would be). But overall, it kept me entertained, and isn't that what movies are supposed to do?
  82. OladeleB.
    Feb 16, 2007
    A very easy 10 because everything about this movie works. I dont know about the old version cos I havent seen it, but this version is relevant now. I guess Josh G is one of those type of people who has to be spoon fed to get the Plot. The brown envelope is the reason Walhberg wacked Damon... Put it together, it's really that simple.
  83. JamieB.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Twenty years from now it will be a definitive work from Scorsese.
  84. LindaH.
    Feb 18, 2007
    Finally Leonardo plays a manly role, no sissy in this excellent work by Scorcese. Nicholson overplays his role & tweeks the movie audience. Wahlberg - good guy or a rat? Entertaining movie throughout, but not for the kiddies.
  85. PatrickH.
    Feb 23, 2007
    Great movie lots of suspense and guessing. A very surprising ending as well you will never guess it.
  86. Soco
    Feb 24, 2007
    Excellent movie. Very intense and thrilling.
  87. Harry
    Mar 24, 2007
    "I'll get the rat!" is one of the most memorable quotes of Martin Scorsese's latest gangster film "The Departed". This film can be seen in many ways, it can be see as an atmosphere of the contemporary urban gangster places and lives, as a cat and mice game, as a thrilling ride or as the way we would feel if we were an inhuman gangster with no feeling. What makes "The Departed" "I'll get the rat!" is one of the most memorable quotes of Martin Scorsese's latest gangster film "The Departed". This film can be seen in many ways, it can be see as an atmosphere of the contemporary urban gangster places and lives, as a cat and mice game, as a thrilling ride or as the way we would feel if we were an inhuman gangster with no feeling. What makes "The Departed" such a great film is that every time you see it, you follow one of the character's stories and have different feelings. The first time I saw it, I felt like a bad guy following Costello's life and the second time, I felt like an emotionally drained and desperate character following Costigan's life. What makes "The Departed" such a complete film is Scorsese's thrilling directing of violent gangster scenes, and emotions, making us enter a puzzle were we always get stunned as we learn the different things that get revealed. Monahan's script is a brilliant piece, making for the first time, an action film were even the police looks like crap, a very realistic and vulgar dialogue and an ending that isn't like one of a traditional Hollywood film, but more like a contemporary Shakespeare one were everyone dies. The ensemble plays a key part making us forget their poplar names and convincing the audience of their character. The standouts are obviously DiCaprio and Nicholson, being the two characters of which I followed their story. Giving a style of classic rock music and arranging the pieces of the puzzle to get even more surprised make part of Thelma Schoonamer's perfect editing. All and all, "The Departed" is one of the best films of the year. Expand
  88. ND
    Apr 1, 2007
    Awesome movie - girlfriend loved it too and she doesnt normally like these type of films.
  89. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    DiCaprio, Damon, and Nicholson make one of the most badass trios in cinematic history (as far as I've seen). Definitely watch this one, Scorsese is amazing.
  90. SacheP.
    Mar 4, 2008
    One of the all time great films, - not Scorsese at his best but Scorsese's best.
  91. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    Great movie. This puts the Irish gangsters more fierce and unpredictable than the Italian gangsters today.
  92. JoeB
    Jul 2, 2009
    It certainly doesn't trump Scorese's past works, but you can see his brilliance in some parts. It is not the least sentimental, and I doubt that it was Oscar-worthy, compared to his last brilliances, such as Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. The characters are not defined at all. The only aspect of the writing that is decent is the characterization of Boston. But that doesn't It certainly doesn't trump Scorese's past works, but you can see his brilliance in some parts. It is not the least sentimental, and I doubt that it was Oscar-worthy, compared to his last brilliances, such as Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. The characters are not defined at all. The only aspect of the writing that is decent is the characterization of Boston. But that doesn't make a good movie. Instead of relying on the characters, this film relies on the plot, which is a terrible mistake. I don't know how Scorsese made this screenplay into a decent movie. No one else could, and I guess that's what separates some directors from others. Only a true genius like Scorsese could make this Bourne-esque movie into a barely decent one. Expand
  93. KeithP
    Sep 12, 2009
    This is a great movie. I can see why it won the Academy Award for Best Picture. The actors in this movie did their roles well.
  94. ERMan
    Sep 5, 2009
    The most successful movie following the infamous GoodFellows. Filled with a brilliant cast from the main characters like Leonardo Dicaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg to top actors with very few scenes like Alec Baldwin. The Departed is a bloody violent suspense. Keeping the viewer entertained with the amazing acting and compelling srory, which will be keeping you at The most successful movie following the infamous GoodFellows. Filled with a brilliant cast from the main characters like Leonardo Dicaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg to top actors with very few scenes like Alec Baldwin. The Departed is a bloody violent suspense. Keeping the viewer entertained with the amazing acting and compelling srory, which will be keeping you at the edge of your seat by plot twists that I never saw coming. A true action packed thriller that is more than worth your money. I highly recommend The Departed, which the critics are crazy about. See this movie!!! Collapse
  95. DocS.
    Nov 13, 2006
    Great acting. Tense as hell. Shows the ultimate result when you, or those you touch, are full of deceit and lying. KAPOW!
  96. JoaoP.
    Nov 13, 2006
    I'll only say this: The most accomplished work of movie directing that i saw. Ever. Martin Scorcese the best director ever.
  97. IvanC.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Great movie, best I have seen this year!
  98. JamesG.
    Simply awesome.
  99. NancyH
    Oct 11, 2006
    The cast performance was strong--everyone pulled their weight. DiCaprio was exceptional here--worthy of an award nod of some kind although Nicholson normally gets all the deserved raves. [***SPOILERS***] But given all the great performances, there was never really a believable bond between Nicholson and DiCaprio as there was between Nicholson and Damon. I mean, if I were the Nicholson The cast performance was strong--everyone pulled their weight. DiCaprio was exceptional here--worthy of an award nod of some kind although Nicholson normally gets all the deserved raves. [***SPOILERS***] But given all the great performances, there was never really a believable bond between Nicholson and DiCaprio as there was between Nicholson and Damon. I mean, if I were the Nicholson character, I would have off-ed DiCaprio without blinking very quickly without given him as many chances as he did. i know this film is a Western remake of "Infernal Affairs" from HK--and will go rent it to compare--all my friends tell me that that one is even better. All in all, a good guy's film. Expand
  100. AndreaM
    Oct 11, 2006
    Great cast, great movie, great story, and funny.

A new American crime classic from the legendary Martin Scorsese, whose talent shines here on its highest beams.
  2. A ferociously entertaining film.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This reworking of a popular Hong Kong picture pulses with energy, tangy dialogue and crackling performances from a fine cast.