7.7

1. DanC.
    Oct 27, 2006
    A fearless film that offers the audience no easy answers but enthrals nonetheless. Dicaprio is brilliant - one of the best actors of his generation, as he proves here (and I haven't liked him nearly as much in recent work).
  2. JoeC.
    Oct 28, 2006
    Excellent experience and awesome Jack. Mark Wahlberg and Alec Baldwin are scene stealers. The movie isn't quite up to Goodfellas standards but very few movies are. A movie I world pay to see again.
  3. becky
    Dec 26, 2007
    what the heck was in the brown envolpe!!!
  4. marcvs
    Feb 12, 2007
    the film was great. all of the complaints people have about it are invalid. the plot was great, the acting suited the film perfectly, and character development worked well. if people can't understand the motivation of a character in a film directed this well, it's the fault of their incompetence, not poor screenwriting or directing or acting. the film is by no means "safe", thethe film was great. all of the complaints people have about it are invalid. the plot was great, the acting suited the film perfectly, and character development worked well. if people can't understand the motivation of a character in a film directed this well, it's the fault of their incompetence, not poor screenwriting or directing or acting. the film is by no means "safe", the editing was very sporatic for effect and necessity and the cursing realistic... if you want to be shocked for shock's sake, watch hobos fight on the internet. Expand
  5. Anna
    Mar 11, 2007
    Scorses reminds us why we go to the movies with this film. That it's not special effects and big bangs, it's great characters, with the cast to handle them, and a compelling story.
  6. JuliaA.
    Nov 11, 2006
    The first thing that I liked about this movie would be the characters intertwine...smooth,and makes you go 'he's-the-prime-suspect-you-dummy-can't-you-figure-it-at-once?' and the willingness of Mr.Scorcese to kill all of the characters,both the protagonists,antagonist,and extras, in a snap of time and such gory way...tip my hat for that. plus this is another prove from The first thing that I liked about this movie would be the characters intertwine...smooth,and makes you go 'he's-the-prime-suspect-you-dummy-can't-you-figure-it-at-once?' and the willingness of Mr.Scorcese to kill all of the characters,both the protagonists,antagonist,and extras, in a snap of time and such gory way...tip my hat for that. plus this is another prove from Mr.DiCaprio that he's an actor (after Catch Me If You Can and The Aviator), not just a cuteface that wrapped him at the heydays of Titanic or Romeo And Juliet (I disliked him back then). Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2010
    This is a great crime thriller.Scorcese directs this film with flawless ease. Everyone of the actors: Dicaprio, Damon, Wahlberg, Nicholson, Farmiga, Baldwin, and the rest of the cast are absolutely phenomenal. the only complaint i have of it is that it has a slow start. everything else: golden
  8. Jan 5, 2011
    A brilliant movie with brilliant performances.. Excellent execution, Excellent Casting.. Its the best movie released in 2006.... No Doubt. Too good.... We cant even judge the performances..
  9. Jan 21, 2011
    Mr. Scorsese just put me in a position, after watching this movie, to be appalled at how gruesome and unnecessarily violent this movie is, or to say, "What a masterpiece!" I think I'll go with the latter.
  10. Mar 7, 2011
    A twisting, brutal knife to any other gangland story; rightly crowned as Scorsese's modern masterpiece. Di Caprio fights through the underbelly as mole Costigan while Damon schmoozes through the upper echelons of the Police force, unaware of his ties with mobster Costello. The culmination of events, as both sides learn and hunt the rival moles in each others factions is gripping rightA twisting, brutal knife to any other gangland story; rightly crowned as Scorsese's modern masterpiece. Di Caprio fights through the underbelly as mole Costigan while Damon schmoozes through the upper echelons of the Police force, unaware of his ties with mobster Costello. The culmination of events, as both sides learn and hunt the rival moles in each others factions is gripping right until the bloody finale and epilogue. Expand
  11. Nov 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: Crime film is very thrilling, hard to stop watching. Deserving of its Best Picture Oscar.

Scorsese directs a violent update of the well-known Chinese mob film, INFERNAL AFFAIRS, from just four years prior. Set in Boston, Massachusetts, the story tells of a mob boss named Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson) who sends out a criminal, Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon). Simultaneously, the local police have sent out Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) to infiltrate Costelloâ
  12. Apr 5, 2012
    It is not perfect -very few movies are- but it is fantastic! Many things about this movie have been said already...I am a girl...apparently this is not the type of movie that girls adore, but I do...and I have it in my collection! :) I can watch it over and over and over again....well, perhaps not more than twice a year!
  13. Mar 19, 2012
    people like to say that this only one the Oscar because Scorsese has been snubbed so many times when he should have deserved it. while that is true he should have won the Oscar for taxi driver, raging bull and goodfellas (or at the very least one of the three), this in no way effects the fact that this was the best movie of the year and truly shows Scorsese understanding modern filmpeople like to say that this only one the Oscar because Scorsese has been snubbed so many times when he should have deserved it. while that is true he should have won the Oscar for taxi driver, raging bull and goodfellas (or at the very least one of the three), this in no way effects the fact that this was the best movie of the year and truly shows Scorsese understanding modern film making. this was almost the perfect movie if not for annoying unnecessary love interest (not unlike in gangs of new York). But while i don't approve of the addition of the love interest i appreciate that Scorsese did not spend to much time with it. this is by far one of the best movies of the 00's and gets judged to harshly because it was by no means Scorsese's best film but was the one that got him the Oscar so people think that it didn't deserve it. the truth is of the his four best this is the least deserving of the three but in no way undeserving. Expand
  14. Jun 10, 2012
    Brilliant. Absolutely amazing. An intense, thrilling plot with GREAT acting. It had twists that I didn't see coming and had been on the edge of my seat. A truly great film.
  15. Apr 14, 2013
    The Departed is phenomenal to say the least. And I don't throw that word around lightly either. The story is great and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Scorsese is at his absolute finest with this film. DiCaprio gives a stellar performance as rookie "cop" Billy Costigan. Jack Nicholson was the perfect casting for Frank Costello and Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg are a great duo. Not toThe Departed is phenomenal to say the least. And I don't throw that word around lightly either. The story is great and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Scorsese is at his absolute finest with this film. DiCaprio gives a stellar performance as rookie "cop" Billy Costigan. Jack Nicholson was the perfect casting for Frank Costello and Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg are a great duo. Not to forget Matt Damon who is excellent as always. Writing: great. Casting: great. Dialogue: great. Acting: great. Cinematography: great. If you want to watch an all around solid film that will keep you guessing and waiting, this is the film to watch. Expand
  16. Jun 22, 2013
    Just a fantastic film. Each and every actor does such a marvelous job and the movie leaves you wanting more, which is the key reason why this is a 10. The end was great, but yet, I still want more. I'm almost sad that the movie is over. Highly recommend. Fantastic film.
  17. Oct 14, 2013
    This is a criminal drama with a very strong storyline (which do not have many twists, every episode logically flows into the next one), good number of bright characters played by outstanding actors. I'd say the movie does not have a lot of action in it, but you feel that psychological tension and wait for something cruel to happen around the next corner.
  18. Sep 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'The Departed' is another Scorsese masterpiece. The film's clever and full of twists. The acting is top-notch from everyone, the cast is also brilliant. The story is engaging and entertaining, I didn't even get bored, considering the runtime.
    My only issue is the runtime of the film, I mean I was engaged througout and it was great but it's not a film that can be watched whenever you want. Still overall I couldn't recommend 'The Departed' enough, it's just brilliant.
  19. Jan 7, 2014
    Como um amigo havia dito, OS INFILTRADOS uma aula de cinema em todos os sentidos.
  20. Mar 9, 2013
    Though I hate to admit its not Scorsese's greatest work, The Departed is thrilling and shocking at many levels, leaving in hints of humor and just flat out what the hell is gonna happen next.
  21. Mar 20, 2015
    A gritty, thrilling, intense, and intricately woven crime thriller. Want to see what the big deal about Scorcesse is? Watch this movie, arguably one of the best gangster dramas of all time. The direction is so tight and laser beam precise that I can't do it justice in writing. The acting is all great, even though Nicholson does admittedly go a little too over the top in some scenes, andA gritty, thrilling, intense, and intricately woven crime thriller. Want to see what the big deal about Scorcesse is? Watch this movie, arguably one of the best gangster dramas of all time. The direction is so tight and laser beam precise that I can't do it justice in writing. The acting is all great, even though Nicholson does admittedly go a little too over the top in some scenes, and the story is engrossing and filled with consuming paranoia. This is also a very excitingly violent movie. Some will argue that there are too many Scorcesse-isms that we've seen too many times before, but I never felt like the story was just going through the motions or being anything other than authentic. A great movie. Expand
  22. Nov 12, 2013
    Despite the film's last act misstep, the movie's worth watching just for the journey. Scorsese remains a master, and he's working his finest magic here. He refuses to fall into the usual pitfalls of the gangster drama, and continues to find completely new nuances in genres that others have already mined nearly to death. Cops versus killers has been done to the point of improbability, butDespite the film's last act misstep, the movie's worth watching just for the journey. Scorsese remains a master, and he's working his finest magic here. He refuses to fall into the usual pitfalls of the gangster drama, and continues to find completely new nuances in genres that others have already mined nearly to death. Cops versus killers has been done to the point of improbability, but in front of Marty's lens it's a brand new game. It's not quite the masterpiece that some of this other recent films like The Aviator and Bringing Out the Dead have been, but The Departed is a work of strong vision and sharp personality. Expand
  23. May 21, 2013
    An excellent film with an outstanding cast brilliant direction and genius writing and a spectacular ending. This is one of the finest films of Scorsese since Goodfellas & Taxi Driver.
  24. Sep 13, 2013
    Jam-packed with excellent performances from an utterly stacked cast, well written characters, in-depth and genius plot, a blood-boiling climax, and possibly the greatest ending given to any film. The only downsides are that some parts tend to drag on, but the overall experience is phenomenal.
  25. Nov 13, 2013
    The Departed is astonishing.
    Incredible acting performances from Damon, Di-caprio, and Nicholas matched with top quality direction from Martin Scorsese. An unbelievably great plot with excitement and twists to leave you speechless.
  26. Apr 20, 2015
    The Boston police department manages to place young cadet Billy Costigan (DiCaprio) deep undercover in the city’s Irish-American gangland, run by the violent Frank Costello (Nicholson). But gangster Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) has also signed on to join the police force, planning to leak information back to Costello.

Boston gangster Frank Costello puts his gun to the back of a woman’s

Boston gangster Frank Costello puts his gun to the back of a woman’s head, pulls the trigger in the nonchalant manner with which he’d light a cigarette and, as she stumbles over her husband’s already-murdered corpse, casually reports, “She fell funny”. Obscene and dangerously insane, Costello is the driving force powering The Departed, Martin Scorsese’s return to his urban roots after a decade of period pieces. Then, he is played by Jack Nicholson. This marks the first teaming of America’s premier cinematic dynamos.

The set-up certainly draws out the best in a cast, led by Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, that’s probably unused to working in someone else’s shadow. Then, this is Jack Nicholson. DiCaprio is Billy Costigan, the cop working his way inside Costello’s gang; Damon is Colin Sullivan, the criminal’s protégé groomed from a young age to become a police mole, leaking information from inside the force.

When it comes to the dynamics of filmmaking, Scorsese still has few peers — an elevator shoot-out in the third act could easily be this year’s tensest scene. The Departed is a sort of time machine: it recalls the richness and moral ambiguity of Hollywood’s ’70s, presenting stories about real people absent of turn-of-the-millennium concerns. They curse, have sex, lie, fight — and sometimes die horribly. This is a superbly crafted movie that holds its own alongside, say, Serpico and The French Connection, with their amoral characters and intense, realistic action. Yet, despite its many layers, the director clearly has no ambition to break new ground. The surprising moments of humour that leaven the story suggest that he’s having fun with a film that puts him back on the mean streets, but with no intention of detailing the cogs of the criminal world.

Back to the streets and with a stellar cast, Martin Scorsese proves once again that he’s the master of urban storytelling — and of thrillingly violent filmmaking.
  27. Apr 24, 2015
    The Departed is a perfect example of why remakes shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Director Martin Scorsese and screenwriter William Monahan have taken the B-grade Hong Kong crime flick Infernal Affairs and re-imagined it as an American epic tragedy. The original film was gritty and entertaining; the new version is a masterpiece - the best effort Scorsese has brought to the screen sinceThe Departed is a perfect example of why remakes shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Director Martin Scorsese and screenwriter William Monahan have taken the B-grade Hong Kong crime flick Infernal Affairs and re-imagined it as an American epic tragedy. The original film was gritty and entertaining; the new version is a masterpiece - the best effort Scorsese has brought to the screen since Goodfellas (ending a decade-long drought of disappointments and near-misses). In making The Departed, Scorsese has retained the essential plot structure of Infernal Affairs but has transformed the movie into something truly his own. Characters are better defined and situations are given an opportunity to breathe. None of this is done at the cost of pacing; The Departed is as suspenseful as anything the director has previously achieved. This movie deserves mention alongside Scorsese's most celebrated movies: Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, and The Age of Innocence.

On-screen talent pools don't get much deeper than this one, with A-list actors like Martin Sheen, Mark Wahlberg, and Alec Baldwin accepting supporting roles. Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon prove two crucial things: they are not interchangeable and, when pushed by someone who can direct actors, they can give riveting performances. DiCaprio has displayed growth in each of his appearances for Scorsese, and this is by far the best work he has done in his career. Jack Nicholson is in top form, providing a diabolical villain who can deliver a monologue with unparalleled verve. His part is showy enough that it will be virtually impossible for him to be ignored at Oscar time. Up-and-coming actress Vera Farmiga and British tough guy Ray Winstone round out a cast that, if not perfect, is close to it.

The consistent levels of intrigue and tension are among The Departed's high points. Scorsese draws viewers in with a captivating monologue delivered by Nicholson at a time in the past (the date is not specified, but it is presumably the early 1980s), which includes the most memorable two lines in Monahan's screenplay: "I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me." After this quick introduction, the scene shifts to the present. It takes a little while for the ins-and-outs of the setup to become clear, but once the sides are established and the cat-and-mouse games begin, the suspense begins to slowly simmer. Even knowing what was coming (from having seen Infernal Affairs), I remained on the edge of my seat. Unlike many remakes, this one feels fresh, not recycled.

Thematically, The Departed fits well with the director's oeuvre. The movie concentrates on family and betrayal, and what constitute both. The lead characters are loners, but they are linked to the world of Boston gangsters by blood ties. Each also commits at least one betrayal, but the question becomes "Who are they betraying?" It's not as easy to answer as one might suspect. In the murky waters of double agents, moles, and rats, loyalty isn't a facile commodity to gauge. Every character ultimately earns his or her fate, except perhaps one.

Two technical hallmarks of Scorsese's films are in evidence. Michael Ballhaus' cinematography is intense and moody. Even though a significant portion of the movie was shot in New York City, the feel is "all Boston." Howard Shore provides the score, but the most notable aspect of the soundtrack is the near-perfect song selection. For the third time in his career, Scorsese uses the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" (see also Goodfellas and Casino). He also employs a cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" during a key sequence.

Since this is a gangster film, there's plenty of bloodletting and profanity, although one could argue that The Departed is tame compared to some of what Scorsese has given us in the past. Nevertheless, seeing the respected director back at the top of his game with a movie that could be both commercially and critically successful is a source of jubilation. The movies have been in the doldrums lately; The Departed is a much needed tonic. It's also one of 2006's best features.
  28. scotth
    Dec 23, 2006
    One of best stories seen in the movies over the past years. Keeps you in the edge for 2/3 of the movie - yet does not completely satisfy.
  29. Mike
    Oct 3, 2006
    While a very good movie, I found some of the basic elements of the plot hard to believe. Just a couple kinks ironed out and this is a movie that lived up to the hype. But, as it stands, it is only an almost.
  30. JustinH.
    Feb 8, 2008
    Great movie over all, lots of suspense and twists and turns. Keeps you guessing on who's going to get caught on either side.
  31. BitBurn
    Oct 12, 2006
    Very good cop movie. Although, a little too violent for my taste. Very well acted. Excellent storyline.
  32. MariaJ.
    Nov 30, 2006
    At last something serious at the cinema, could have been better but will do. Slightly predictable but never boring. Leonardo DiCaprio is very convincing and glides through the screen so skillfully you take your eyes off him. Jack Nicholson uses all his tricks but he isn't boring. Good movie for an autumn afternoon.
  33. DWilly
    Oct 6, 2006
    A very cool movie with a monster performance from DiCaprio (the actor not only of his generation, but the one before him, too); Scorcese's craft is smoking off a really smart script and Damon's gift for committed detachment clicks. It might have risen above its meager theme to acheive classic status were it not for the spit-in-your-face ending and Nicholson's stupid A very cool movie with a monster performance from DiCaprio (the actor not only of his generation, but the one before him, too); Scorcese's craft is smoking off a really smart script and Damon's gift for committed detachment clicks. It might have risen above its meager theme to acheive classic status were it not for the spit-in-your-face ending and Nicholson's stupid performance. It's amazing that someone with Scorsese's artistic sense didn't edit out Nicholson's buffonery; or, better still, fired his indulgent ass and had the masterful Ray Winstone play his part. Expand
  34. RosemarySabo
    Oct 6, 2006
    It was a great movie with great acting by the masters. Ending was terrible! We needed to see what was in that envelope that DiCaprio gave to the girl!!!! Not sure why Matt Walburg, if he was a good cop, didn't bring him in. Why the covers on his shoes and the cap:???????
  35. AaronS.
    Oct 7, 2006
    Martin Scorsese's very fine remake of the HK film 'Infernal Affairs' is superior to the original. Crackling screenplay from William Monahan and superb acting from all involved. Top notch piece of entertainment that's a highlight of 2006 films.
  36. Rev.R.
    Oct 9, 2006
    For those who love suspense and gritty realism this is a good movie. It has long been held that anger is one of the easier emotions for an actor to tap. However, DiCaprio taps a sense of rage so deeply and realistically that fire blazes from his every pore. Over the last thirty years no actor touches Nicholson's ability to entertain with sarcastic, arrogant devilishness. Though For those who love suspense and gritty realism this is a good movie. It has long been held that anger is one of the easier emotions for an actor to tap. However, DiCaprio taps a sense of rage so deeply and realistically that fire blazes from his every pore. Over the last thirty years no actor touches Nicholson's ability to entertain with sarcastic, arrogant devilishness. Though Wahlberg and Damon turn in strong supporting performances, it is Nicholson and DiCaprio that make the film work. The story and characters are too colorful for Scorsese to douse it in red. In an attempt to lend the film genuine realism Scorsese opted to test the audience's ability to stomach violence. I would rather have left disturbed and stunned than nauseated. Still, one of the years better movies. Expand
  37. DougB.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Definitely not Scorcese's best, but it is enjoyable. There were many questionable plot elements in the film and the characters many times acted in an illogical way (especially concerning the issue of figuring out who the "rat" in Nicholson's mob was--gee, I wonder who it would be). But overall, it kept me entertained, and isn't that what movies are supposed to do?
  38. PatrickH.
    Feb 23, 2007
    Great movie lots of suspense and guessing. A very surprising ending as well you will never guess it.
  39. NancyH
    Oct 11, 2006
    The cast performance was strong--everyone pulled their weight. DiCaprio was exceptional here--worthy of an award nod of some kind although Nicholson normally gets all the deserved raves. [***SPOILERS***] But given all the great performances, there was never really a believable bond between Nicholson and DiCaprio as there was between Nicholson and Damon. I mean, if I were the Nicholson The cast performance was strong--everyone pulled their weight. DiCaprio was exceptional here--worthy of an award nod of some kind although Nicholson normally gets all the deserved raves. [***SPOILERS***] But given all the great performances, there was never really a believable bond between Nicholson and DiCaprio as there was between Nicholson and Damon. I mean, if I were the Nicholson character, I would have off-ed DiCaprio without blinking very quickly without given him as many chances as he did. i know this film is a Western remake of "Infernal Affairs" from HK--and will go rent it to compare--all my friends tell me that that one is even better. All in all, a good guy's film. Expand
  40. TM.
    Oct 12, 2006
    A good 'remake' or summary of Infernal Affairs, I really enjoyed it, but it lacks the subtlety, imagination and poetry of IA. I'll try not to diss Mr. DiCaprio again - he's superb in this!
  41. AdamC.
    Oct 14, 2006
    Wahlberg gives one of the best supporting performances I've ever seen. He's steals every scene he's in. OSCAR, all the way. As for the rest of the pic, it's a little uneven: Nicholson is flat-out hammy at times, and the dialogue makes guys from South Boston sound a little TOO snappy, witty, and verbose to pass as realistic. DiCaprio is awesome, though. Yes, I said that.
  42. RM.
    Oct 30, 2006
    Slightly overrated. The acting was superb from all quarters, EVERYONE. But Di Caprio carried the movie. I actually wanted to see more of Mark Whalberg in this film, his character was intense. Matt was Matt (his best work for me with regards to Damon to this day still remains to be the first remake of the Bourne Identity, but he did a good job here too). Jack was Jack and you can't Slightly overrated. The acting was superb from all quarters, EVERYONE. But Di Caprio carried the movie. I actually wanted to see more of Mark Whalberg in this film, his character was intense. Matt was Matt (his best work for me with regards to Damon to this day still remains to be the first remake of the Bourne Identity, but he did a good job here too). Jack was Jack and you can't say anything more. But Leo was definitely the character I empathized with the most and like I said he carried the film. Maybe it was all the hype leading up to me seeing the movie that let me down a bit though the ending was really good. 8/8 Worth the $$$. Expand
  43. Eddie
    Oct 9, 2006
    Great acting across the board. Movie needs to lose about 20 mins but otherwise, a very good movie.
  44. Fantasy
    Oct 9, 2006
    Gripping tense drama with outstanding acting by all involved. Jack turns in one of his usual great performances; but it is Leonardo DiCaprio taking his profession up to another level in which equals the master scene for scene. The only negative is the extreme violence and total disregard for human life by all involved. The intensety stays with you long after you leave the theater. Gripping tense drama with outstanding acting by all involved. Jack turns in one of his usual great performances; but it is Leonardo DiCaprio taking his profession up to another level in which equals the master scene for scene. The only negative is the extreme violence and total disregard for human life by all involved. The intensety stays with you long after you leave the theater. DiCaprio is certain of an Oscar nomination for this body of work. Expand
  45. M.M.
    Feb 12, 2007
    A splendid movie which makes you to sit back till the last scene. A marvelous performance by Leo.
  46. MichaelE.
    Feb 19, 2007
    It's just a thriller, yeah, but Scorsese shows up all other current directors of thrillers by providing a movie that contains actual characters. It's like watching real people in a comic book world. I mean that in a good way.
  47. DanicaT.
    Feb 22, 2007
    Great movie. Great Cast. Great storyline. Great performances. Great action, never bored. Captivating. I would definitely recommend it..simply put.
  48. RazvanT.
    Feb 25, 2007
    Good movie but could have been better.The first half was better but the movie is overall pretty good and watcheble.
  49. Dave
    Mar 22, 2007
    I agree with most of the other opinions on this board. Good movie yes, but best picture, no way. I can think of several I would rate ahead of this including Pans Labyrinth, Children of Men, Volver and The Lives of Others. I did see Infernal Affairs, and yes it is a better film than Departed, though I have to say that Scorsese did a much better job of recreating the film than a vast I agree with most of the other opinions on this board. Good movie yes, but best picture, no way. I can think of several I would rate ahead of this including Pans Labyrinth, Children of Men, Volver and The Lives of Others. I did see Infernal Affairs, and yes it is a better film than Departed, though I have to say that Scorsese did a much better job of recreating the film than a vast majority of directors working in Hollywood would. So, overall a very good film, but once again the academy missed the boat. Expand
  50. DonQ.
    Mar 4, 2007
    Good movie? Yes. One of the best movies of the 2006? Yes. THE best movie? No way. Shouldn't have won best picture, but oh well...let's give Scorcese his long-deserved Oscar. Still, I liked the cast and the story a lot. It'd be a lot more impressive if it was an original movie rather than a remake.
  51. AMovieCritic
    Mar 6, 2007
    Extremely excellent movie with great acting, exciting and interesting directing, really great writing, and overall just put together with great skill. Really an interesting movie that is complex but it only lost me towards the end; I was well-able to follow the plot through most of it. Just, overall, great movie. My only problem was that at nearly 2 and a half hours, it stretches. Not Extremely excellent movie with great acting, exciting and interesting directing, really great writing, and overall just put together with great skill. Really an interesting movie that is complex but it only lost me towards the end; I was well-able to follow the plot through most of it. Just, overall, great movie. My only problem was that at nearly 2 and a half hours, it stretches. Not during the movie itself, but Everything after the big shootout at the end just seems to go on for a bit too long. Otherwise, though, great movie. Not sure why Mark Wahlberg was the only one to get noticed by the academy here; DiCaprio, Damon, and Nicholson really offer fantastic performances. Expand
  52. PhilY.
    Oct 16, 2006
    Departed thrives on its cast and is not Scorcese
  53. StuartS.
    Oct 21, 2006
    A film that was well done. But how many different versions of The Godfather is Hollywood going to produce. Great movie took, if you enjoy guns and murder.
  54. MatthewR.
    Dec 18, 2006
    A great film but only a good Scorsese picture. Not along the lines of lets say Mean Streets and Goodfellas but the film has blood and guts and the acting is great, though Jack does some hamming from time to time, I kinda felt like I was watching him in 'Anger Management' again but all in all this film deserves a few Oscar nobs especially for Leonardo DiCaprio who is nothing A great film but only a good Scorsese picture. Not along the lines of lets say Mean Streets and Goodfellas but the film has blood and guts and the acting is great, though Jack does some hamming from time to time, I kinda felt like I was watching him in 'Anger Management' again but all in all this film deserves a few Oscar nobs especially for Leonardo DiCaprio who is nothing short of great and proves that he's outgrowing his celebrity boy toy status. Kudos all around for a great movie and one of the best of the year so far. Expand
  55. HC.
    Feb 17, 2007
    Not Scorsese's best, but it's still a very good movie. There were various plot holes and head-scratching throughout, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The direction is wonderful and the performances of supporting actors were outstanding. I absolutely loved Mark Walberg and Alex Baldwin. Leonardo of course turned in a great performance as well, though for some reason I've Not Scorsese's best, but it's still a very good movie. There were various plot holes and head-scratching throughout, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. The direction is wonderful and the performances of supporting actors were outstanding. I absolutely loved Mark Walberg and Alex Baldwin. Leonardo of course turned in a great performance as well, though for some reason I've seen Matt Damon's character before--maybe he's just playing way too many of these similar roles? The ending seemed a little cheap but I still really liked the movie even with all these flaws--which says a lot, I think, about the talent involved in this movie. Expand
  56. Jan 15, 2011
    the movie was quite good, although it could be even better considering the cast of actors, and the great Martin Scorsese as director. i don't know if you can call it a classic, because it's forgettable in my opinion. i really was hoping to be an entertaining ride full of thrills, but i just got the entertainment. some parts may be unrealistic, but, however it is a good film. 8 - ...
  57. Mar 13, 2013
    Although I was initially disappointed by The Departed, time has seen me come around. My grievance of the film was the fact that it lacked depth. It felt too slight and flimsy to make a serious dent. That said, I now love The Departed for that exact reason. It's colorful, light and a lot of fun. Especially Mark Wahlberg.
  58. May 29, 2011
    While I watched The Departed, I grew to like it more and more with every growing second. It was either the vigorous cast of DiCaprio, Damon, Nicholsan, and Whalburg, or the interesting "rat" storyline, or just the fact that people were just dropping dead for, actually, good reasons. The light humor was also very entertaining, as was the non-stop action. But I can truly tell you, this filmWhile I watched The Departed, I grew to like it more and more with every growing second. It was either the vigorous cast of DiCaprio, Damon, Nicholsan, and Whalburg, or the interesting "rat" storyline, or just the fact that people were just dropping dead for, actually, good reasons. The light humor was also very entertaining, as was the non-stop action. But I can truly tell you, this film is a must watch. The Departed takes place in the city of Boston. It follows to pure rivals; an Irish gang and the state police. During the coarse of the film, both the police and the gang have a "rat", or a mole, each coming from the other rival. It shows the police rat's side, (DiCaprio), to be the good guy. But then it also shows the gang rat's side (Dammon), to be the bad one, obviously. So the film just becomes a race to see who each other's rat is, and to get the Irish gang obilorated once and for all. You just have to see the rest to see what happens.
    The acting in this film just blew your mind, right from the very moment that you saw the freakin amazing casting of Damon, DiCaprio, and Nicholsan, you knew you were getting yourself into an action packed movie. I would personally say that DiCaprio and Nicholsan were tied as the best actors in the film, for there was just so much intensity coming from the two. It was as if they had perfect chemistry, but they were scared s**tless about each other. I wouldn't have been surprised if Nicholsan won Best Supporting Actor at the Academy Awards, for this is the type of guy the Academy likes. Really, who doesnt like Nicholsan? And who doesnt like Scorsese? I can tell you that I freakin love him, and adore him for his work. It's extremely wrong that his previous films never won for Best Picture, but truly, if there had to be one film that would've won, it would've been this one. He gives a clear message at the end of the film, if you want a happy ending, sad things have GOT to happen. And that's what makes him the best director of 2006, and this the best film of 2006.
  59. Dec 25, 2011
    Overall Movie: 8 Acting: 9 Storyline: 7 Although there are gaps in the storyline, the ferocious acting makes this crime drama a hit. The only Scorsese film this beats is Taxi Driver. I'm afraid Raging Bull and Goodfellas are better.
  60. Aug 27, 2014
    Fundamental Martin Scorsese. The film is tremendously well-written and casted. There should no comparisons to Goodfellas or The Godfather; The Departed is a new addition to the group. A worthy addition, at that.
  61. Jan 16, 2014
    Who better to helm a two-and-a-half-hour long dramatic irony marathon than one of cinema's greatest seminal filmmakers? Scorsese's Best-Picture-Winning "The Departed" surely deserves all of the hype it has received over the years, as it's an almost infinite spiral of intrigue, tension, aesthetic merit, and wondrously playful dialogue.
  62. Mar 13, 2013
    The Departed is Martin Scorsese's most recent gangster film about two Boston state police officers (Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon) on separate sides of the law who cross paths when a rat is seeked out in both the police, and a gangster's (Jack Nicholson) crew of Irish gangsters. Is it better then Goodfellas, hell no. But it is one damn good crime film.
  63. Aug 30, 2013
    It was good. It is a classic Crime Picture, but it is not for 10. In every dialogue we can see that there is a bad word. I like bad words in movies but not so many!!
  64. May 4, 2014
    Martin Scorsese has a superb movie in every decade 70s: Taxi Driver 80s: Raging Bull 90s: Goodfellas and he kept the streak alive with The Departed for the 2000s, this film has all the tools, superb casting, performances, charachterization and direction. Matt Damon is great as the corrupt cop, DiCaprio is in one of his best as the undercover cop, Mark Wahlberg as the butt-kicking cop, andMartin Scorsese has a superb movie in every decade 70s: Taxi Driver 80s: Raging Bull 90s: Goodfellas and he kept the streak alive with The Departed for the 2000s, this film has all the tools, superb casting, performances, charachterization and direction. Matt Damon is great as the corrupt cop, DiCaprio is in one of his best as the undercover cop, Mark Wahlberg as the butt-kicking cop, and finally the performance that made this movie what it is Jack Nicholson as Frank Costello, in 1972 Jack was in talks to play Michael Corleone in The Godfather and i always kept thinking how Jack would play a gangster, in 2006 Jack put on one of his best perfomances as Irish Mafia Leader. I would totally recommend this movie to anyone Expand
  65. Apr 9, 2014
    One of the best Martin Scorsese's movies.There is not too much action but there is an interesting story. I know it's a remake from a Japanese movie and i watched it but Scorsese's one is by far the best.
  66. Feb 15, 2015
    Martin Scorsese adds another excellent film to his resume with The Departed. This film shows some individuality compared to his other films and boasts a cast with some of the best actors in film. Leo DiCaprio, who has been known to collaborate with Scorsese is pitted against Matt Damon although neither character has much interaction with each other through the film. Jack Nicholson showsMartin Scorsese adds another excellent film to his resume with The Departed. This film shows some individuality compared to his other films and boasts a cast with some of the best actors in film. Leo DiCaprio, who has been known to collaborate with Scorsese is pitted against Matt Damon although neither character has much interaction with each other through the film. Jack Nicholson shows that he is just as good as he ever was in the role of the main villain. I think he could've been given an Oscar nomination for his role in this movie. Then you also have Mark Wahlberg and Martin Sheen in supporting roles. Wahlberg is excellent despite his screen time limits and he is the only actor who received an Oscar nomination in the movie (he lost to Alan Arkin). The Departed will leave you guessing right until the end, with a twist that will certainly blow your mind. Expand
  67. RandyL.
    Oct 10, 2006
    Very bloody which is not my cup of tea. The acting is excellent and the ending is a bit contrived. But this is still a very good movie, not great mind you, but very, very good. DiCaprio comes of age as one of America's best actors.
  68. JackT.
    Mar 14, 2007
    This is NOT Scorcese's best film (The Aviator, Goodfellas, and Raging Bull come to mind). Scorcese didn't win the Oscar for this film; he won it for his entire body of work. That said, under the direction of anyone else, this would be a bloated, 3+ hour, middling crime affair. But there are two things that set The Departed apart from the rest of the pack: 1. Williams This is NOT Scorcese's best film (The Aviator, Goodfellas, and Raging Bull come to mind). Scorcese didn't win the Oscar for this film; he won it for his entire body of work. That said, under the direction of anyone else, this would be a bloated, 3+ hour, middling crime affair. But there are two things that set The Departed apart from the rest of the pack: 1. Williams Monahan's script (the dialogue is unbelievable!), and 2. Scorcese's direction. Scorcese takes Monahan's adaptation of Infernal Affairs, puts the pedal to the metal, and takes you for an intense ride doesn't stop for 150 minutes. The film moves with such breakneck pacing that you just might come out of it with whiplash. This is a pure testosterone fest, so if you have any of that floating around inside you you're bound to enjoy it. Not the best movie of the year by any means (that would be Children of Men), should not have won Best Picture (should have gone to Letters or Babel), but a very entertaining entry in the crime genre. Expand
  69. JasonJ.
    Mar 5, 2007
    America has forgotten what makes a truly great movie. Is this movie way better than most in recent years? Yes. Is this movie Shawshank Redemption or The God Father 2? No. Why? It lacks inclusion. It's an art that is hard to master and hard to explain. Basically, it's a lack of connection between myself (the audience) and the characters. At the end when everyone gets shot, I America has forgotten what makes a truly great movie. Is this movie way better than most in recent years? Yes. Is this movie Shawshank Redemption or The God Father 2? No. Why? It lacks inclusion. It's an art that is hard to master and hard to explain. Basically, it's a lack of connection between myself (the audience) and the characters. At the end when everyone gets shot, I really didn't care too much about any of the characters' fates. Maybe it's the tabloid cast. We know so much about these people personally, it might as well be our parents or friends on screen. We know that DiCaprio gets up from the floor, cleans off the fake bullet hole in his head, and goes back to his perfect "real" life of fame and wealth. We weren't so certain about that back in 1992 with Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. We need to either stop with the tabloids or find new actors that will enable our suspension of disbelief again. Expand
  70. WadeT.
    Oct 16, 2006
    The Departed has its intentions in the right place with a good story and a great director returning to his most well-known genre, however Scorsese's choices are almost over-the-top A-list casts prevents the film from the authentic feeling a film on the mean streets requires. Di Caprio and Damon are great in their signature roles but performances by Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, The Departed has its intentions in the right place with a good story and a great director returning to his most well-known genre, however Scorsese's choices are almost over-the-top A-list casts prevents the film from the authentic feeling a film on the mean streets requires. Di Caprio and Damon are great in their signature roles but performances by Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen heck even Alex Baldwin is so over the top and hammy that you are constantly reminded of this being a big budget production. A smaller cast looking less to overwhelm the camera would've served the story better. Expand
  71. WillT.
    Oct 20, 2006
    Colorful, enjoyable and well shot. However, the use of violence to hold interest toward the end is disappointing, violence for the sake of violence. Moreover, Mark Wahlberg was laughable as always. Would still recommend going and seeing it, but don't expect any crazy twists.
  72. se
    Dec 27, 2006
    Much like other scorsese mafia films. not a bad film but nothing new.
  73. MarkBayer
    Dec 7, 2006
    With just days left before it becomes permanent history, 2006 has carved out a reputation for itself as The Year Of Diminished Expectations. Politically, this made sense--electing a number of less-than-completely-inspiring individuals to Congress was worth it in order to restore America's two-party system--but on the film front it doesn't make much sense. Moviegoers and With just days left before it becomes permanent history, 2006 has carved out a reputation for itself as The Year Of Diminished Expectations. Politically, this made sense--electing a number of less-than-completely-inspiring individuals to Congress was worth it in order to restore America's two-party system--but on the film front it doesn't make much sense. Moviegoers and reviewers (perhaps overreacting to a dumber-than-usual summer) have far too enthusiastically embraced such well-intentioned but seriously flawed early fall efforts as The Illusionist, Hollywoodland and Little Miss Sunshine, and in many instances pounced upon disappointing work from Clint Eastwood and the Pixar people (and shockingly bad work from the blokes at Aardman) like a starved dog jumps on a particularly realistic-looking chew toy, so why shouldn't they respond any differently to Scorsese's latest, however second-rate by his own standards it may be? Don't get me wrong: there's a lot to enjoy and even appreciate about his elaborate, entertaining (and overlong) cops-and-criminals chess game, but I've seen Mean Streets, Taxi Driver and GoodFellas, and this is no...well, you get my drift. It's suddenly become fashionable to do a bit of Monday-morning-two-years-later quarterbacking regarding the great director's Howard Hughes bio The Aviator, but that had much more to say, expressed with a great deal more originality, about old Hollywood than this does about the underworld, the police or anything other than Scorsese's past genre work, of which this mostly comes off as a twice-removed carbon copy. That said, it's still better than most of currently what's out there; Scorsese's use of sudden, shocking violence as near-comedy (whenever you see anything made of glass in the frame, you know that neither it nor a nearby human face is safe) is fascinating, and his work with all the actors (except one) is unquestionable. He gets great mileage out of how much his baby-faced leads Leonardo DiCaprio (playing a cop posing as a crook) and Matt Damon (vice versa) resemble each other, and Marc Wahlberg (an uneven actor who's about as good as his directors; his recent, very routine performance in Invincible underscores this) is a joy to watch and listen to as a flamboyantly foulmouthed police official with more dimension and heart than you'd originally guess he had. Unfortunately, Scorsese seems unable or unwilling to prevent Jack Nicholson from interpreting his role as anything more surprising or substantial than Jack-the-Joker-in-the-Mob; didn't either the actor or the director realize that Nicholson's most effective late-career performances by far are the ones where he drops the familiar schtick and buries himself in his character, UNDERPLAYING his roles in The Pledge and (especially) About Schmidt? It's a tough assessment, but ultimately his work here, for all its showiness and theatricality, bears no more weight or complexity than his mailed-in turn as Adam Sandler's tormentor in Anger Management. The push to finally give eternal bridesmaid Scorsese the Oscar may prove overwhelming (to say nothing of the movie itself winning Best Picture and being the only remake to do so other than Ben-Hur in 1959) and as a result he could end up picking one up for what is essentially quite enjoyable but far from his best work. But then, Billy Wilder won for The Lost Weekend rather than Double Indemnity, Sir Carol Reed for Oliver! rather than The Third Man, and George Cukor for My Fair Lady rather than virtually anything else he did...so what else is new? Expand
  74. JoeB
    Jul 2, 2009
    It certainly doesn't trump Scorese's past works, but you can see his brilliance in some parts. It is not the least sentimental, and I doubt that it was Oscar-worthy, compared to his last brilliances, such as Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. The characters are not defined at all. The only aspect of the writing that is decent is the characterization of Boston. But that doesn't It certainly doesn't trump Scorese's past works, but you can see his brilliance in some parts. It is not the least sentimental, and I doubt that it was Oscar-worthy, compared to his last brilliances, such as Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. The characters are not defined at all. The only aspect of the writing that is decent is the characterization of Boston. But that doesn't make a good movie. Instead of relying on the characters, this film relies on the plot, which is a terrible mistake. I don't know how Scorsese made this screenplay into a decent movie. No one else could, and I guess that's what separates some directors from others. Only a true genius like Scorsese could make this Bourne-esque movie into a barely decent one. Expand
  75. DocS.
    Nov 13, 2006
    Great acting. Tense as hell. Shows the ultimate result when you, or those you touch, are full of deceit and lying. KAPOW!
  76. KevinH.
    Oct 12, 2006
    A pretty good crime/action movie. You can't expect too much when you go to see a movie like this. The whole thing was completely unbelievable, but I thought the acting was top-notch (especially DiCaprio), therefore worth my time and money. Very entertaining.
  77. Clam
    Oct 12, 2006
    The movie shines through with its bleak realism, gratuitous violence and witty dialogue. DiCaprio and Wahlberg do an excellent job. Although the stellar cast, almost infinite budget and the genius of Scorsese gives this film some life, the film feels disjointed and incoherent at times. Great care has been made to give Boston-esque accents, which gives the film a gripping authenticity. The movie shines through with its bleak realism, gratuitous violence and witty dialogue. DiCaprio and Wahlberg do an excellent job. Although the stellar cast, almost infinite budget and the genius of Scorsese gives this film some life, the film feels disjointed and incoherent at times. Great care has been made to give Boston-esque accents, which gives the film a gripping authenticity. Although only a filmgoer who understands Cantonese can really tell, I was sorely disappointed at the lack of responsibility in hiring Chinese actors who should be able to speak their own language properly. [***SPOILERS***] The original Infernal Affairs prides itself with a superb ending, The Departed somehow destroys the last few frames with Scorsese Expand
  78. billthebutcher
    Feb 11, 2007
    I enjoyed the movie Thought the casting was terrible sometimes I felt I was watching a sloppy melting pot of the shining ,basketball diaries and good will hunting.Very unrealistic story.Definitley an asian movie.Can`t wait to see infernal affairs.Jack nicholson just ain`t cut out to play a mob boss.And Di caprio just like in gangs of new york is no good as a hardman.
  79. RayH.
    Feb 14, 2007
    Maybe we expect too much from Scorsese. He's given us a handful of truly great films, and some merely very good. The Departed is the latter, IMO. It feels very much like Goodfellas and Casino, even without the voice-over (thank God). To me the most interesting part of the film was the editing; it didn't always work, but it felt like Schoonmaker and Scorsese were trying to up the Maybe we expect too much from Scorsese. He's given us a handful of truly great films, and some merely very good. The Departed is the latter, IMO. It feels very much like Goodfellas and Casino, even without the voice-over (thank God). To me the most interesting part of the film was the editing; it didn't always work, but it felt like Schoonmaker and Scorsese were trying to up the energy in the cutting. Not great, but still better than most stuff out there. Expand
  80. EricC.
    Mar 1, 2007
    It was a blast to watch. One of the best times I had at the movies in a while. But Best Picture? Someones trying way to hard to please some Scorsese fans. You can't call it original, since it's based on Infernal Affairs (which is far better, from what I hear). The acting is over the top and deeply lacking in depth. Leanardo is angry the whole movie (even during love scenes), It was a blast to watch. One of the best times I had at the movies in a while. But Best Picture? Someones trying way to hard to please some Scorsese fans. You can't call it original, since it's based on Infernal Affairs (which is far better, from what I hear). The acting is over the top and deeply lacking in depth. Leanardo is angry the whole movie (even during love scenes), Nicholson is crazy the whole movie (never saw that before... wait, yes I have), Damon was a jerk the whole movie. Should I keep going through the entire cast? I had fun, yeah, but I also had fun in Pirates of the Carribean and Talledega Nights. Should they have been nominated too? Expand
  81. JohnO.
    Apr 25, 2007
    It boils down to this - Scorcese is Italian-American and so he understands the culture infinetly better than he does Irish-American. Those little cultural idiosyncrasies that Scorcese packs into his other films, and uses so seamlessly in Goodfellas and Casino, are either vacant or are too stereotyped and clumsy here. Consequently the film feels sketchy as a result. Why can't It boils down to this - Scorcese is Italian-American and so he understands the culture infinetly better than he does Irish-American. Those little cultural idiosyncrasies that Scorcese packs into his other films, and uses so seamlessly in Goodfellas and Casino, are either vacant or are too stereotyped and clumsy here. Consequently the film feels sketchy as a result. Why can't directors cast Irish actors for Irish parts - or, at the very least, actors who can pull off a convincing accent? I would have thought that perhaps after Gangs of New York Scorcese might've learned something. Instead he casts Ray Winstone (who can't even pull off an American accent), Nicholson and DiCaprio; all of whom are great actors but none of whom do anything but make you wince every time they open their mouths. Perhaps it's because I am Irish that it gets to me and I notice it. Perhaps to none Irish veiwers it might seem authentic, who knows? Scorcese is in the privileged position of being one of the few directors whose films people will go and see irrespective of the cast. Is he as hamstrung by the industry in casting as lesser directors? It's still well worth a watch and I've given it a high score because it is a decent film, but it's nowhere near in the same league as Goodfellas or Casino. I'd be very interested in hearing other people's views on the points I've made. Not abuse mind you... lol. Thanks very much. Expand
  82. MickiF
    Jun 9, 2008
    Good movie until the end. I need to view this film about four more times to catch everything I may have missed. Is there a sequel to explain what was in Costigan's envelope? So many unanswered questions - I don't want to spend my time after watching a movie trying to decipher the ongoings of a fictional world; is it too much to have closure at the end of a film?
  83. JohnR.
    Nov 13, 2006
    Great directing, great acting, compelling situations, but the script misses the best opportunities and lacks any deeper reason to see this film other than surface engagement.
  84. SinthaarinMarkakisofThebes
    Oct 17, 2006
    The Departed looked to be a great movie then, in the home stretch, it fell apart. I think the creative team (i.e. writer and director) got a little too clever for their own good in the third act. The acting was solid as was the bulk of the story. Scorsese's direction and the poor conclusion were the weak links of this pic. Still, it was one of the more satisfying movies of late - The Departed looked to be a great movie then, in the home stretch, it fell apart. I think the creative team (i.e. writer and director) got a little too clever for their own good in the third act. The acting was solid as was the bulk of the story. Scorsese's direction and the poor conclusion were the weak links of this pic. Still, it was one of the more satisfying movies of late - which, unfortunately, is not saying much given the poor state of cinema today. Expand
  85. ZachG
    Oct 18, 2006
    It's a wonder Scorsese can be so monotonic and still be considered a great director. The script's quite witty and the plot's awesome, but towards the end Scorsese is obliged to drag the ending in order to get some puddles of blood in. Also, some multi-dimensional characters would be nice.
  86. AndersJansson
    Feb 27, 2007
    This movie is well directed, excellently performed by the actors and exciting. So far so good. And it is good, actually very good. The problem is that it lacks originality. It could be any crime movie, exept for the actors. The other thing is the ending. It's extremely ridicuous and ruins the film a bit.
  87. NathanaelC
    Jul 29, 2007
    Alright lets not lose our heads here.... this was far from being an awful movie however it did have flaws. Basically when Dicaprio is the best gangsta we have a problem. I mean give me pesci deniro and liotta anyday over these pretty boys.
  88. Sep 27, 2010
    very very very good film problem is i gave it a 7 only because he stole the idea from another film which means i have to mark it down i would have given it like a 9

A new American crime classic from the legendary Martin Scorsese, whose talent shines here on its highest beams.
  2. A ferociously entertaining film.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This reworking of a popular Hong Kong picture pulses with energy, tangy dialogue and crackling performances from a fine cast.