The Devil Wears Prada

7.5

1. BarryR.
    Jul 16, 2006
    The movie is a formulaesque story about a fashion magazine and those who write, edit and supply its pages. Women will no doubt love the fashions, the styles and the clothes but all will probably find it simply OK but not really great. It
  2. StuartS.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Silly, is the only word I would use to describe a film that had no point and no plot.
    Jul 5, 2006
    Too predictable. I couldn't wait for it to end when it was only about a quarter of the way through the movie.
  4. Eldon
    Dec 21, 2006
    Sara M and Mark C are nicely telling you the truth about this film. NICELY, I say. In the end, it's lame. Love Streep, but not even she could have saved this from what it is.
  5. MeinradB.
    Jul 19, 2006
    Meryl Streep made the movie! Otherwise, it was typical Hollywood summerfare.
  6. SaraM
    Oct 22, 2006
    Amusing but essentially lightweight and insubstantial. Nothing wrong with that really - and there are some good performances. But there
  7. PaulF.
    Jul 2, 2006
    The acting is saved the whole movie. The plot was over all not very dramatic and predictable. I knew what the protagonist was going to do within the first twenty minutes of the movie. Kudos for Streep and Hathaway. Great acting but next time find a better script.
  8. CarolynM.
    Jul 29, 2006
    Anne Hathaway may be on screen for virtually every second of this film, but it is Meryl Streep's performance that transforms this from an ordinary uninspired film to a really watchable movie.
  9. AustinW.
    Jul 5, 2006
    Fluffy, mindless fun, with great costumes. Streep and Tucci steal the show. But wow, what a TERRIBLE message. Streep doesn't do even anything that bad - I've had worse bosses personally, and the main characters friends are moralistic prudes. ignore that, and you'll enjoy it...
  10. MartinS.
    Jan 13, 2007
    Typical Hollywood half step. We're supposed to believe Anne Hathaway is a fat ugly frog who is transported into a fashionista. It's rare that a TV knock off tells the story better than the movie but "Ugly Betty" does a far better job. The only thing that makes this movie worth renting is Meryl Streep who resists the temptation of mimicing Cruella Deville.
  11. NeletK.
    Mar 27, 2007
    It was predictable, with no real obstacles for the caracters. A bit boring, but still enjoyable.
  12. JimG.
    Jul 11, 2006
    A movie as predictable but enjoyable as any of Meryl Streep's performances. Meryl Streep is, well, Meryl Streep--I always seem to watch her thinking, "There is Meryl Streep playing this character." And so, the story is, well, the story. [***SPOILERS***] Protaganist spreads wings; relationships get neglected; protaganist has to choose between new and old; protaganist chooses new, gets A movie as predictable but enjoyable as any of Meryl Streep's performances. Meryl Streep is, well, Meryl Streep--I always seem to watch her thinking, "There is Meryl Streep playing this character." And so, the story is, well, the story. [***SPOILERS***] Protaganist spreads wings; relationships get neglected; protaganist has to choose between new and old; protaganist chooses new, gets burnt, learns lesson, returns to old, and the world is saved. Good supporting performances, particularly Emily Blunt as a co-worker whose stress-induced defensiveness and distrust is well played. While I thought Anne Hathaway did a fine job, the transformation that takes place was harder to see or accept. Perhaps it would have been a more powerful movie had they cast an unknown whose transformation from dowdy to dynamic would have been more of a wow (think the transferormaion of Toni Collette as Muriel from her first scenes to her wedding day in Muriel's Wedding). All said, definitely a movie worth seeing. Expand
  13. NathanM.
    Jul 15, 2006
    Sure, there are some laughs and good lines. And my wife liked all the pretty clothes. Meryl Streep shows once again that she is a vessel waiting to be filled up by a character - and then nailing that character to a T. But the story is absolutely formulaic, and it's tough for me to get over that. Plus, my wife read the book (and told me all about it), so I know that they deviated from Sure, there are some laughs and good lines. And my wife liked all the pretty clothes. Meryl Streep shows once again that she is a vessel waiting to be filled up by a character - and then nailing that character to a T. But the story is absolutely formulaic, and it's tough for me to get over that. Plus, my wife read the book (and told me all about it), so I know that they deviated from the book a whoooole lot. Especially the second half of the movie. Made it all cutesy Hollywood. Expand
  14. ShawnJ.
    Dec 26, 2006
    Nice to look at but it lacked bite; some roles were too broad and over the top. Even Streep
  15. Jul 28, 2011
    "The Devil Wears Prada" is a master of witty humor and refined, fun to see. The film is also a full plate for anyone who loves fashion, but the most attentive to realize that the message goes far beyond that. Anne Hathaway acted very well on the scene and the inspired performance from Meryl Streep waiver adjectives. She is such a diva, is another level. David Frankel's direction is swift"The Devil Wears Prada" is a master of witty humor and refined, fun to see. The film is also a full plate for anyone who loves fashion, but the most attentive to realize that the message goes far beyond that. Anne Hathaway acted very well on the scene and the inspired performance from Meryl Streep waiver adjectives. She is such a diva, is another level. David Frankel's direction is swift and competent, the supporting team is luxurious. Everything in "The Devil Wears Prada" pleases. I'm not a fan of the movie, but I can say that Miranda Priestly is the most iconic female character in movies in the past decade. Meryl Streep didn't win the Oscar for one thing such as: comedy. The film has a certain status of comedy, so much that Meryl won the Golden Globe for best actress in a comedy. If producers weren't so worried about leaving the cute and funny movie, if they were more faithful to the book and the movie was serious, more dramatic tone, Meryl would have won the Oscar. Expand
  16. Dec 7, 2012
    the devil gets to be good.
  17. Dec 21, 2012
    Understand this movie is not for the deep thinkers. Understand it damn well, because you get what you see. I enjoyed Meryl Streep in this film as well as the woefully unaware Anne Hathaway. While predictable, it does offer some outlook on fashion versus being an actual human being in the sake of humanity.

1. The story is glossy junk begat of just-plain junk anyway: Lauren Weisberger, who wrote the hiss-and-tell roman à clef best-seller on which the picture is based, was herself an assistant to Wintour.
  2. Takes place in the world of haute couture. And that pretty much sums up the movie. Otherwise, it would be just another Queen of Mean, boss from hell movie. But, oh, what delicious fun Meryl Streep and her conspirators have with that world.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Streep single-handedly elevates this sitcomy but tolerably entertaining adaptation of Lauren Weisberger's bestselling 2003 roman a clef about a personal assistant's year of chic hell under the thumb of the dragon lady of the fashion world.