The Dictator

6.4

1. Mar 1, 2014
    Consistently offensive (to varying effectiveness), The Dictator is funny in spots, but is also filled with jokes that are too stupid to be funny. Now of course this was not trying to be a fantastic film or anything, but I do wish that the jokes were way more consistent. In addition, in terms of story, the romantic aspect added to this one did not actually add anything to the movie at allConsistently offensive (to varying effectiveness), The Dictator is funny in spots, but is also filled with jokes that are too stupid to be funny. Now of course this was not trying to be a fantastic film or anything, but I do wish that the jokes were way more consistent. In addition, in terms of story, the romantic aspect added to this one did not actually add anything to the movie at all and in fact subtracted from the movie. More dictatorship, less random, forced, and unnecessary romance. At the end of the day, this one is not a trainwreck like I feared it might be and could be a good movie to watch if you want a few good laughs and a hilarious speech on dictatorships, but sadly other than that, there is not much to see. As I said before, this one could have been a lot better if it had been a lot more consistent. Expand
  2. May 24, 2012
    The latest from Sacha Baron Cohen casts him as the titular tyrant, who gleefully oppresses his country, until he confronts reality in New York City. Despite a constant flow of mischievous moments, it's seldom truly funny. There are some amusing one-liners and interesting conceptual gags, but it never pulls together successfully. If you enjoy Cohen's brand of humor, you won't beThe latest from Sacha Baron Cohen casts him as the titular tyrant, who gleefully oppresses his country, until he confronts reality in New York City. Despite a constant flow of mischievous moments, it's seldom truly funny. There are some amusing one-liners and interesting conceptual gags, but it never pulls together successfully. If you enjoy Cohen's brand of humor, you won't be disappointed, but you're liable to find it more cheerfully mean-spirited than genuinely hilarious. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    Haters can hate on Sacha Baren Cohen and this movie all they want, but they have to admit that at times, it is very funny.

Although sometimes being stupid, that doesn't take away from the humor. Cohn is the master of creating comical situations, and The Dictator is just that: an 83 minute compilation of comical scenes and sight gags. But, for what it is, that's all that's needed to make this movie funny.
  4. Sep 8, 2012
    The Dictator manages to be a good comedy but falters in the most important aspect of a comedy, the humor. There are plenty of hilarious moments that will have you laughing out loud, but there are also a lot of moments where he humor is predictable, been done before in other comedies (and better there), or just so gross you actually gag instead of laughing. It takes a lot for humor toThe Dictator manages to be a good comedy but falters in the most important aspect of a comedy, the humor. There are plenty of hilarious moments that will have you laughing out loud, but there are also a lot of moments where he humor is predictable, been done before in other comedies (and better there), or just so gross you actually gag instead of laughing. It takes a lot for humor to actually gross me out, and this movie actually did that a lot, but still I did laugh and, for the most part, enjoyed myself. So if your looking for a good comedy and don't mind some absolutely disgusting and at times dry or flat humor this is worth a rental, but know there are tons of better comedies out there. Expand
  5. Feb 17, 2013
    Funny, Restless, Offensive and full of Banned Jokes about US The Dictator is killer funny. This is definitely not a documentary but its a good comedy. Sacha Baron Cohen nailed it as the role of Aladeen! But the parents won't be happy because this film is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. Larry Charles has made Bruno which was also inappropriate but for adults it's okay. And even though its 14A it'sFunny, Restless, Offensive and full of Banned Jokes about US The Dictator is killer funny. This is definitely not a documentary but its a good comedy. Sacha Baron Cohen nailed it as the role of Aladeen! But the parents won't be happy because this film is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. Larry Charles has made Bruno which was also inappropriate but for adults it's okay. And even though its 14A it's very inappropriate. Well 7/10 for me! Expand
  6. Aug 30, 2012
    It was a really rough start but about 30-40 mins into the movie, It gets really damn hilarious and ends on a high note. Definently worth watching imo. I liked it.
  7. Mar 15, 2014
    dictator was okay . Sacha Baron Cohen was great this film then his other films like bruno and borat . Sacha did his finest work but everyone has high expectations for Cohen's offensive humor . some of his humor i did not get in this but this movie was bettter then borat .
  8. Nov 22, 2014
    The Dictator is simply just wastes 83 minutes of your life. This film is nothing more than a money grab after the success of Borat and Bruno. Don't bother.
  9. Nov 7, 2015
    The Dictator is no classic and often feels offensive just for the sake of being offensive. But more than enough of the OTT jokes hit home to make this an entertaining ride.
  10. May 24, 2012
    As a vehicle to link together a bunch of genuinely funny and deliciously offensive gags, the film achieves what it sets out to do. But the filler - the story that links it all together - is just too pedestrian compared to what I feel will be Cohen's best work down the road.
  11. Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, it is both funny and offensive. I appreciate the execution of this idea. Its much better executed than "You Don't Mess with the Zohan", but too many scenes in this comedy fall flat, and there isn't enough plot to compensate for this.
  12. Jun 12, 2012
    It's Euro-Cup time now, so there is a famine in the cinemas, maybe one should not go to cinema twice a week these days (I have already watched PROMETHEUS 2012), the only possibilities are this one or SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN (2012), so hectoring by the latter's horrid reviews, a satire comedy sounds like a more safe choice between these two.

Deceiving by its trailer, and Instead of

Deceiving by its trailer, and Instead of being a political satire, the film is no more than a crass sketch comedy, with a plentiful supply of self-conscious jokes about masturbation, human excrement, racism, sexism, gay culture, terrorism, a mixed-bag of all the possible sought-after topics. But how is the effect?

Though in my memories, I didn't perceive BORAT! (2006, a 5/10) as a deserving accomplishment, but by comparison, THE DICTATOR even has less virtue and has no difference with other annually cranked-out Hollywood trashy comedies, which more or less are able to generate some laughters but one would never give a second-thought after leaving the cinema, lest feel repellent even thinking about the source material or simply erase it from the memory. THE DICTATOR marked the third time Sacha Baron Cohen and director Larry Charles work in unison (after BORAT! and BRUNO 2009, which I skipped), but the pith of it is all in its trailer, I wonder, when will Hollywood ever deliver another comedy without meddling too much with filthiness, sometimes audience needs to be innovated instead of being pondered to. About the cast, I donâ
  13. May 27, 2012
    When I saw the trailer for this movie I was amused but I thought it would be bad. A lot of the good jokes seemed to be in the trailer, one person said once the dictator lost his beard the movie would lose its touch, and when my brother came home he said that he did not like it that much. I went to see it and let me tell you it was funny. The Dictator proves that everyone has differentWhen I saw the trailer for this movie I was amused but I thought it would be bad. A lot of the good jokes seemed to be in the trailer, one person said once the dictator lost his beard the movie would lose its touch, and when my brother came home he said that he did not like it that much. I went to see it and let me tell you it was funny. The Dictator proves that everyone has different opinions some people get it and some people do not and I got most of it.

The Dictator is about dictator Al-Addeen, I think thatâ
  14. Dec 5, 2012
    Did I like it? Yes. Is it a great film? Hell no. It has some humorous moments, but overall the film isn't that funny. The best jokes are all in the trailer. Very short. Incredibly inconsistent.
  15. Oct 22, 2013
    Behind all the crude, obscene and derogatory content that makes up the still hilarious film that is 'The Dictator', it directly pokes fun at democratic governments around the world, becoming a perfect political satire while also playing on the funny bones, Sacha Baron Cohen proves to be original in his content, while also pulling no punches at who gets caught in the firing line. This isBehind all the crude, obscene and derogatory content that makes up the still hilarious film that is 'The Dictator', it directly pokes fun at democratic governments around the world, becoming a perfect political satire while also playing on the funny bones, Sacha Baron Cohen proves to be original in his content, while also pulling no punches at who gets caught in the firing line. This is the first scripted film Cohen has created, it falls a fluid story compared to the equally as hilarious but cringeworthy 'Borat' and 'Bruno', yet when I went to see the film, the cinema was in complete uproar, all in a good way of course, it certainly pushes boundaries but addresses the dark and black comedy that people seem to relate to today, its short and snappy at 89 minutes long, but feels just the right about of funny. Cohen plays the role of Admiral General Aladeen of Wadiya, he acts like we assume a dictator would, big palace, plenty of worshipping followers and a flamboyant lifestyle of sex encounters with celebrities, this set up includes a small role for Megan Fox, which is hysterical as we are then shown his wall of conquests, males included. But his life is always in danger, not only because of his regime and his slimy right hand man Tahir (Ben Kingsley), but he plays judge. jury and executioner (or so he thinks) as he will uses his power to dispose of any man who deceives him, yet this even comes down to a nuclear warhead not being pointy enough. When his visit to America ends i na betrayal of trust, he is thrust into the streets of New York unknown, as his iconic beard has been removed, he finds a radical anti-Aladeen health store run by Zoey (Anna Faris), unaware of his real identity, she lets him into her life. Faris has really let herself be the subject of many puns and putdowns throughout the film, growing real armpit hair and even being called a "chubby Justin Bieber". Its full of direct attacks at everything involving the American Dream, and a particular scene in a helicopter with two tourists perfectly capture the mindset of an often paranoid nation, but probably for good reason. Its full of crude yet delicious humour that just gets funnier as the film goes on, it seems to play out as a regular "error of their ways" film, but then throws it all back in your face to keep us interested, Kingsley is an unlikely delight alongside Cohen, while Faris continues to have excellent comic timing for all the right moments. This is a comedy not for the faint-hearted, but political satire for all to enjoy, offensive but perhaps a little close to home. Expand
  16. Aug 9, 2013
    Sacha Baron Cohen really tries to extend the shock factor to create comedy, but the method has worked thin and has made me lose interest in his next project.
  17. Sep 12, 2012
    I get where and what Sasha was going for here-which is fairly original. So most of my score accounts for those things. However, the humor-or lack thereof- really made this movie predictable and unwatchable a 2nd time. The few chuckles I got from the movie would not have been worth a movie ticket or DVD for that matter.
  18. Feb 1, 2016
    While The Dictator may appear different than Borat and Brüno, it is very much the same idea as both films, packed with the same jokes and new ones that are more disturbing than they are hilarious.

Watch the movie here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29b499-The-Dictator-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  19. May 18, 2012
    A new movie of Sacha Baron Cohen, I don't be fan of Sacha, I hate he, but I need say that this movie is really funny, have great and funny moments that do this film one of the most entertaining movies of the year.
  20. Jun 19, 2013
    The dictator is a funny film. It makes you laugh a lot and the time passes really quick. It's not a quality film but it's entertaining though if you like this kind of comedies
  21. Dec 22, 2015
    It's a silly racist fairytale of a movie by Sacha and co, but amidst the disastrously rushed first act, there are moments of touching sweetness along with brilliant political commentary with mysteriously warming laughs alongside Aladeens quest for resurgence.
  22. Jun 7, 2012
    I'm still a big fan of Sacha Baron Cohan, I think that The Dictator was a solid but good movie. Although Borat and Bruno were 2 of my favorite comedies from him, The Dictator wasn't quite match to his credit. But I saw the trailer during the Super Bowl. My favorite part is when they made fun of the Olympic Games, General Aladeen started to use a pistol and shoots every athlete in a track &I'm still a big fan of Sacha Baron Cohan, I think that The Dictator was a solid but good movie. Although Borat and Bruno were 2 of my favorite comedies from him, The Dictator wasn't quite match to his credit. But I saw the trailer during the Super Bowl. My favorite part is when they made fun of the Olympic Games, General Aladeen started to use a pistol and shoots every athlete in a track & field event, that takes balls. Whether you love Cohen or not, sometimes he may be controversial thanks to the Donald, but slapstick comedies are made to be really funny like the Jackass movies. Probably I'll see it next week or wait for a rental. The Dictator wasn't a disappointment, but trust me, actions speaks louder than words. Expand
  23. Aug 31, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed Borat but this film is simply not funny. It's repeated unfunny jokes become annoying and the plot is predictable and annoying. I understand the film is supposed to have a thin plot but in this film it felt like it was getting in the way. Baren Cohen's humour may start to be wearing off after Borat.
  24. May 19, 2012
    The Dictator is the perfect example of the movie that you want to hate but in the end, you can't. I'm not saying this is a very good film or anywheres near close to that, but it turned out ok. I saw this just to see it pretty much, I was intrigued although by the trailer i could've sworn it would be a very dumb film. It actually turned out pretty funny at times, but at other times i feltThe Dictator is the perfect example of the movie that you want to hate but in the end, you can't. I'm not saying this is a very good film or anywheres near close to that, but it turned out ok. I saw this just to see it pretty much, I was intrigued although by the trailer i could've sworn it would be a very dumb film. It actually turned out pretty funny at times, but at other times i felt bored. The jokes were split 50/50 with me, some i found funny and chuckled a bit, but the others just fell flat. Like some jokes that bash the U.S. and other foreign countries (which is about 80% of the jokes) were just taken wayyyy too far, including some jokes about Osama bin Laden which was an issue with me, but you have to look at all of these things as jokes obviously and not 100% serious. I never laughed out loud during the movie so that says something right there. Its a chuckle here and there film, not a laugh out loud film. Sacha Baren Cohen was of course Sacha Baren Cohen, funny, and great at what he does. I never saw Bruno because of the sheer ridiculousness, but i did see Borat and Borat is definitely leagues ahead of The Dictator. I wasn't feeling the supporting cast in this film either. Anna Faris' character just wasn't cutting it for me, i did not care for her at all, same with everyone else. This movie definitely could've been much better. The script was mediocre and the supporting cast as i stated just wasn't there, and half of the jokes just fall flat. The only major positive in this movie is Sacha Baren Cohen which is obviously 99% of the film so thats why i give this movie a 5 and nothing less. If your looking for a laugh out loud movie, this isn't it, but if you enjoy a good chuckle every now and then, then you should check out The Dictator. 5/10 for me. Expand
  25. Aug 8, 2012
    Although The Dictator offers some funny Jocks but with a bad storyline and Script the movie is too hard to like . The Movie delivers delivers nothing lightened. The whole point of the movie is Useless . Sacha Baron Cohen was a bit flat in his role and others were horrible . Saw the Movie and trying to forget it and don't ever wanna see it again . Its a total wast of time .
  26. Dec 14, 2014
    The Dictator es una película de comedia negra que nos ofrece una historia de un lado más retórico (por así decirlo) y que nos da una buena dosis de diversión.

Esta película resulta entretenida y totalmente disfrutable, ya que logra formar unos buenos momentos de risa con algunas irregularidades que se pueden considerar atractivas e ingeniosas, además, contiene un guión con una buena carisma que le da a este largometraje un toque más animado (no en el sentido de películas de animación) y fluyente. Este film, en general, exagera algunos momento de la trama, y que, para suerte de esta película, esas exageraciones resultan eficaces y logran mantenerse en una buena atmósfera sin desembarcarse en un ángulo desfavorable., y, por tanto, le dan a este metraje más humor y lo hacen más variado.
  27. Aug 29, 2012
    Pretty funny film after seeing Bruno which was so ungodly wierd and bad . I found myself laughing alot start to finish through this film . pretty much every thing about the film is rediculas but its what helps make it so funny . Cohen you can tell is having fun with this role and as usaul doesnt hold back from saying any nutty thing he wants to ... but hey as long as its funny . There arePretty funny film after seeing Bruno which was so ungodly wierd and bad . I found myself laughing alot start to finish through this film . pretty much every thing about the film is rediculas but its what helps make it so funny . Cohen you can tell is having fun with this role and as usaul doesnt hold back from saying any nutty thing he wants to ... but hey as long as its funny . There are also alot of cameos from alot of differnt celebritys in the film but Cohen is the Star and every funny line is his . Expand
  28. Aug 28, 2012
    While it is understandably hard to recreate the success of Borat, Sacha Baron Cohen hits less of a note of focused political insight hidden within doses of raunchiness and more of a note of gross out, juvenile, broad, hit-and-miss jokes that recall a mix of Charlie Chaplin's 'The Great Dictator' and 'You Don't Mess with the Zohan'. While there are some admittedly funny bits (holding handsWhile it is understandably hard to recreate the success of Borat, Sacha Baron Cohen hits less of a note of focused political insight hidden within doses of raunchiness and more of a note of gross out, juvenile, broad, hit-and-miss jokes that recall a mix of Charlie Chaplin's 'The Great Dictator' and 'You Don't Mess with the Zohan'. While there are some admittedly funny bits (holding hands romantically inside of a pregnant woman giving birth, a terrorist misunderstanding in a helicopter, and a clever speech about democracies and dictatorships, for example), most of the film has an air of mean-spiritedness and when the jokes miss, they miss by a mile. While Sacha Baron Cohen seems more dedicated to craft than the average funny-man, 'The Dictator' winds up being just a comedic vehicle running on empty. Expand
  29. Dec 18, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen is a good actor and a great screenplay writer and that's the only reason I watched this film. A few jokes were thought provoking and some of them were really lame and cheap. Full-on satire and disgusting & vulgar humor are the qualities of the Dictator. But despite that, I only give it 5 marks because it is just an average film. Not too good and not bad.
  30. Aug 24, 2012
    No where near the standard of Borat but still funny in places. I think Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy may be starting to wear a little thin and has become rather predictable. Still he has managed to come up with some hilarious new gags and if you do not mind wafting through some pretty poor parts you may enjoy this film.

1. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    May 26, 2012
    The Dictator, like its predecessors, is short (eighty-three minutes), but it runs down fast, and the lewd jokes pile up. [28 May 2012, p. 76]
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    May 17, 2012
    Sacha Baron Cohen's tosses off some sensationally funny stuff before descending into a rat-a-tat rhythm of random insult and ritual vulgarity.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    May 17, 2012
    The conventional meet-cute love story at the center of The Dictator feels like a bizarre concession to some nonexistent demographic that prefers its sick black comedy with a side of humanist sentiment.