5.6

1. May 12, 2013
    First off, all the performances were very good; I only wish the same could be said for the script. The plot wanders about; giving away very key information far too early (IMO) and taking all the mystery out of it for me. Yes, there is a twist at the end, but by that time I’m just pissed off with it. It’s well shot with most of the action taking place in and around Washington DC. It was nice to see Martin Sheen as CIA director Tom Highland; it was kinda odd seeing him in Washington & not being the President. Over all, a film that failed to live up to expectations; I know which direction I would have taken it in and that would have been a much better story.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 5.7/10
  2. May 6, 2013
    The Double has some fun cat & mouse spy action. Beyond that, there's not too much to say. The movie suffers from being a bit generic but it's a decent night's entertainment.
  3. Aug 22, 2013
    The acting is alright. Gere is easily the best performer (that's not saying much) and I feel that Grace tries a bit too hard at times, Doesn't really sell his character well. The twist in the plot is really predictable, I called it like 10 minutes into the film. The rest of plot is rather generic and a bit slow but I have no real problems with it. Overall, It's on par with the quality of straight to video releases. Nothing special about it but a good way to kill time. Can't say I'd really recommend it unless you watch a ton of straight to video films. Expand
  4. Feb 16, 2014
    Talk about jumping the shark! "The Double" gives away a plot twist in the first twenty minutes of the movie! What a rookie mistake. Although that sort of move might actually pay off for its creativity in better movies, "The Double" doesn't pay off at all. Richard Gere and Martin Sheen give good performances, but Topher Grace tries way to hard. He tries to give his character more depth and gravitas but he fails miserably. "The Double" can try to be all it wants but the truth is that it's a hollow spy thriller with good intentions but bad execution. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Stephanie Merry
    Nov 3, 2011
    Speaking of the script, questionable motives and unbelievable decisions are relatively small potatoes compared with the Sputnik-size plotholes.
  2. Reviewed by: Randy Cordova
    Nov 3, 2011
    With its convoluted plot and fading stars, The Double feels like a straight-to-DVD feature that somehow sneaked onto the big screen. It's simply not very good.
  3. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Nov 3, 2011
    Ineptly realized in everything but its chase scenes (which are, I'll admit, pretty good), the movie is rich in moments of inadvertent surrealism.