9.0

1. Mar 27, 2012
    So disgusting and gross. I mean, I couldn't find a single idea this movies stands for. So far from the communist rebellion, all the characters could care about is their sexual discovery. What sens does all of this make ? Two hours of nonsense and disturbing sexual scenes.
  2. PaulD.
    Mar 2, 2005
    A muddled mess. Acting and story are unconvincing. There are some great clips from far superior movies, and a lot of nudity, without true eroticism.
  3. TomW.
    Aug 4, 2004
    This movie is designed to shock!! French movies are designed with explicit sex, gratuitous violence etc these days and I am actually reading reviews to know what I am getting into (to avoid), before I dare watch any French films now. This movie has incest, a menage 3-some etc set in the 60's where everything and anything goes. I didn't like it one bit. The movie has no story in This movie is designed to shock!! French movies are designed with explicit sex, gratuitous violence etc these days and I am actually reading reviews to know what I am getting into (to avoid), before I dare watch any French films now. This movie has incest, a menage 3-some etc set in the 60's where everything and anything goes. I didn't like it one bit. The movie has no story in my opinion but my partner thought the movie was excellent and was deep intellectually with substance. So go figure. The most shocking movies I have seen have all been French films. Don't say I din't warn you. Women are alway depicted as playthings or second class citizens by the French so don't expect anything culturally different. Expand
  4. JoshuaR.
    Feb 20, 2004
    Not that smart, not that beautiful, and not even that sexy -- it's an incoherent mess, condescending to its characters and to the entire era it seeks to evoke. The Washington Post review has it right. Really, it's just a cheap, nude, Parisian, watered-down version of a movie like "Easy Rider," which is actually about the '60s. This movie is just about nostalgia.

1. Reviewed by: Kevin Carr
    It wasn't as good as the films it cites, but at least it didn't bore me.
  2. Reviewed by: Jean Oppenheimer
    The film's real failure is that neither the story nor the characters capture the zeitgeist that Bertolucci theoretically set out to celebrate.
    Bertolucci is trying hard to shock us with this stuff, but, for all the perversities and the abundant nudity, the movie has an air of inconsequence about it. [9 February 2004, p. 74]