The East

7.8

1. Jul 17, 2013
    The trailer presented this film as thriller focused on eco-terrorism. Unfortunately it delves into a drama leaving anything engaging about a thriller in the foyer. Leaving the cinema I felt disappointed and glad to have a cineworld membership in the UK. Paying for this would have been upsetting given the cost of tickets today.

How often do we want the bad guys to succeed? Not often in

How often do we want the bad guys to succeed? Not often in my book but when up corporations they choice was easy. However a dull storyline, convoluted script and predictable outcomes hindering this film from being a memorable thriller. It's a shame because it had a very interesting and real concept, with a strong 20 to 30 mins opening phase.

After that I lost interest. The story unfolds slowly here onwards and focuses on the drama between characters, which can be a good thing if executed well. Unfortunately because none of the characters are worth caring about it becomes uninteresting and unengaging.

I did enjoy the eco-terrorism acts and wanted more of it. Use of the internet to spread their message was also quite realistic, along with the mystery behind organising them to ensure secrecy.

See this on DVD instead.
  2. Sep 11, 2013
    Recently co-writer and lead actress Brit Marling starred in a similarly themed film, Sound of My Voice,a film also about a mysterious organization but these two films couldn't be more different with The East being a logical and compelling piece of cinema. When Jane (Brit Marling) is sent in undercover to assess a fundamentalist group called The East, a group led by Benji (AlexanderRecently co-writer and lead actress Brit Marling starred in a similarly themed film, Sound of My Voice,a film also about a mysterious organization but these two films couldn't be more different with The East being a logical and compelling piece of cinema. When Jane (Brit Marling) is sent in undercover to assess a fundamentalist group called The East, a group led by Benji (Alexander Skarsgard) and Izzy (Ellen Page) she starts to understand their cause as the company she works for begins to twist the truth until she doesn't know who to trust. The only flaw with The East is it really isn't as clever as it thinks it is, it uses cliched twists to convey key plot points and lacks the subtlety and strength of its conviction to pull its twists off. The end is almost ruined by a twist so half arsed it really deserves mocking but by doing so I may ruin it for the few who might not catch it. The filming is splendid with every shot feeling grey as the film blurs the lines between black and white as Jane loses herself in a web of deceit, a web so complex that be the end I had forgotten her real name. Filled with some excellent performances, Marling proves her worth as an actor after disappointing turns in her own projects such as Another Earth and the previously mentioned Sound of My Voice. Skarsgard is the best of the bunch as he is completely fearless in his depiction of this utterly lost soul. The film begs the viewer to pick a side before the end but the finale makes that strive for agreement pointless as the film ends on its own terms. Most of the political ideas on display are half baked at best and it really shows with the conclusion feeling like a safe way to bring this story to a close, although I have to say I did get a little bit of satisfaction with the neat and tidy nature of the ending, something this story really doesn't deserve. While interesting and well performed it finds itself let down by a lack of thought going into what the writers really wanted to say. Expand
  3. Jun 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is yet another mediocre FBI story, this time about a bio-terrorist group. An FBI agent gets inside the group and all of a sudden understands that the Government is bad, FBI is corrupt, big corporations are greedy, cynical and inhumane.
    "The system is broken"... She gets sympathetic with the group and in the end starts working to advance their cause.
    Hollywood... What's new? But the agenda rings the bell with many movie critics. they praise the movie purely because their political views are similar.As one of the talk show hosts likes to say, "Pass me some Advil"...
  4. Nov 17, 2013
    Cautionary tale of the consequences of getting too close to a cause you're to undermine or subvert. In this case, the protagonist (Sarah) flips from "establishment" to counter-culture but is intent on pursuing their aims non-violently, contrary to the group's MO. Could also be seen as another tale of how one person can make a difference.
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    The East is a good film and comes close at points to a great one, but in the long run it just falls short. Brit Marling and Alexander Skarsgard both do a great job and the script is good just not as good as Marling's first effort Sound of my Voice. B
  6. Sep 3, 2013
    I finally got a chance to catch up with 'The East' and I have a few quick thoughts. Sophomore filmmaker Zal Batmanglij, makes a solid case with this steering thriller, but I still feel he has some room for improvement; particularly in the way he progresses and paces a story. An undercover agent increasingly questions her allegiances as she becomes close to an Eco-Terrorist group and theirI finally got a chance to catch up with 'The East' and I have a few quick thoughts. Sophomore filmmaker Zal Batmanglij, makes a solid case with this steering thriller, but I still feel he has some room for improvement; particularly in the way he progresses and paces a story. An undercover agent increasingly questions her allegiances as she becomes close to an Eco-Terrorist group and their magnetic leader. Traditional, yet compelling; this story starts well but feels a little rushed in its second half when the characters have been established and the plot thickens. That certainly made this a tense movie, but it didn't allow for much breathing room, which would have worked well for these complex characters and the talented performers behind them. In any case, I much appreciated the movie and the ecological subject at hand, and I will be revisiting it in the near future. Expand
  7. Nov 28, 2013
    It had a good storyline the plot was also fine but the actresses brit marling and ellen page was terrible through out the movie especially I dint expect such a let down from the inception fame "page".
    Over all, its a pretty descent movie with some message to society given in a thrilling story line

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jul 3, 2013
    Come the final act, the best political thrillers don't play nice, after all – they twist the knife. This one’s so concerned with making the world a better place, it retracts the blade and wipes it clean
  2. Reviewed by: Guy Lodge
    Jun 29, 2013
    The film keeps its good-evil borders compellingly supple, at least until a wobbly finale that requires Sarah to act like the Hollywood heroine she has so strenuously avoided becoming. It’s a minor blot on a film otherwise propulsively alive with prickly politics.
  3. Reviewed by: Henry Barnes
    Jun 29, 2013
    The East – a sleek thriller clogged by its noble message – heads south. It becomes sanctimonious, makes you contrary. I left craving a Big Mac.