7.1

1. DougT.
    Jun 27, 2006
    Stylish film about the beauty of extreme self-centered melodrama. Hated it from the early scene where the heroine walks into a minefield to retrieve a memento of a dead friend. If she wants to blow herself up, go ahead, but she had no right to endanger the other two men trying to clear the mines. From there, it goes on to justify helping the Nazis if you're melancholy enough.
  2. AlM.
    Jul 11, 2006
    Do you realyy believe that the Allies having to take care of a badly burned man in NorthAfrica found best to send him to Italy in the hands of a field hospital. The story is an accumulation of illogical developments that were totally unnecessary to portray a destructive passion that was big by itself. I give a 3 in recognition of cinematographer work.
  3. PaulS.
    Nov 7, 2005
    Nothing to offer, overated, long and boring.
  4. PamL.
    May 20, 2006
    My co-workers raved about this movie and when it first became available on VHS, I rented it. I watched the whole thing and I think it is way overrated. This was no love story that I could relate to in any way. I'm really glad I didn't pay theater prices to see this.
  5. RodG.
    Feb 21, 2007
    There are very few movies worthy of a zero rating but this comes close. Seinfeld was right about this one.
  6. DaveS.
    Jul 11, 2002
    Elaine Benes is absolutely right! Avoid this one like the plague.
  7. PierreM.
    Dec 5, 2003
    One of the Worst movies I have ever seen! I just don't get why people like this movie. It was so bad.
  8. RColey
    Jul 26, 2005
    This was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen in my life. I could really relate to Elaine on Sienfeld when she felt like an outcast for seeing it as what it was - slow, slow, slow.
  9. SimonD.
    Jun 26, 2003
    One of the dullest films ever made, and yet it won great acclaim and an Oscar. There is little to recommend here, aside form nice desert scenery. But when the title character is as self-absorbed and banal as the one here, I don't know how anyone can love this work. The amorality and self-absorption of the entire cast, combined with a way-too-slow pair of stories, make this a total One of the dullest films ever made, and yet it won great acclaim and an Oscar. There is little to recommend here, aside form nice desert scenery. But when the title character is as self-absorbed and banal as the one here, I don't know how anyone can love this work. The amorality and self-absorption of the entire cast, combined with a way-too-slow pair of stories, make this a total flop. You're better off renting "The Mummy" or "Stargate" instead if you want desert scenery. Expand
  10. ToddH.
    Apr 25, 2005
    It is a beautifully filmed, horrible story. No one I know, that had not read the book, loved this movie. How it beat Jerry Maguire and Fargo for best picture that year, still amazes me. The characters have very little redeeming social value. All in all the movie struck me as an epic ode to adultery, destroying the lives of all it touched. I gave it three points only because it is still It is a beautifully filmed, horrible story. No one I know, that had not read the book, loved this movie. How it beat Jerry Maguire and Fargo for best picture that year, still amazes me. The characters have very little redeeming social value. All in all the movie struck me as an epic ode to adultery, destroying the lives of all it touched. I gave it three points only because it is still better than things like "Friday the 13th Part (whatever)", if just for cinematography alone. However, I would still rather watch anything else instead of this movie. If you read the book, apparently you will love this movie. I guess the book gives the viewer the deeper meaning behind the rather shallow relationships on screen. Expand
  11. Mar 31, 2012
    A grand movie that put me to sleep. Too long and boring to keep my attention. Some good parts, but just not interesting enough. I just wish I never would have picked it up in the store to rent.

Astonishingly deep and moving.
    Awash in heart-rending emotions and gorgeous images, this is a movie to lose yourself in.
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Keogh
    The look, the feel, the brood-y, brilliant cast: This is an oddly affecting movie, all right, a jellyroll of Bronte and Hemingway.