The Extra Man

5.3

1. Aug 7, 2010
    The trailer made this film look like a must-see, but I was disappointed by it. It's definitely quirky and weird, which I usually appreciate, but it's just to vanilla. It sits there, without much punch to it. And what the hell did the director do to John C. Reilly's voice? It didn't make a lot of sense to me. At first, I thought it might be going for a new "Harold & Maude" thing, but no.
  2. Jun 9, 2011
    I rented this to watch Kevin Kline and discovered Paul Dano. He's the one you can't take your eyes off of, playing a really quirky character without a single wrong move. Don't expect the ending to wrap things up, however. There is no ending. It just sort of comes to a stop, nothing resolved, no pointing to any kind of future. And still I was oddly captivated.

1. Although their latest film is not without a certain charm, it quickly wears out its welcome.
  2. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Everyone in the film is an uninteresting grotesque.
  3. The Extra Man" isn't in the same league as Pulcini and Berman's landmark "American Splendor" with Paul Giamatti as the late Harvey Pekar, but it has its moments - especially in its evocation of the sense that New York offers a greater sense of security for brave yet vulnerable individualists the way a sprawling, amorphous and transient city like Los Angeles rarely can.