7.4

1. Oct 31, 2014
    Could this movie get any sappier. Similar plot to other movies made far better. A feel sorry for me movie with the worst dialogue in recent memory. Really! an entire group of people start clapping when she walks up stairs and kisses the guy. My God! Save yourself she lives and surprise he dies at the end.
  2. Jun 25, 2014
    The Fault in Our Stars is its own blessing and curse.

The blessing is that it handles well the three significant plots it has going on. And really, why they aren't necessarily equal, none of them can be considered subplots; "co-plots" is a more apt term. The curse is the weight of it all. A terminal teenage girl reconciling her own mortality is heavy but believable. A terminal
    The Fault in Our Stars is its own blessing and curse.

The curse is the weight of it all. A terminal teenage girl reconciling her own mortality is heavy but believable. A terminal teenage girl falling in love is heavy but believable. A terminal teenage girl seeking answers to lingering questions in her favorite book is heavy but believable. Each, on its own, could fill 90 minutes of movie. But all three combined carry too much weight, and thus strain credulity to its breaking point. More than once I found myself asking, "What other terrible thing could happen?" only to be answered within the next 10 minutes.
  3. Jun 23, 2014
    Its an Okay movie. Its a faithful adaptation which is a relief but only Woodley shows up to play. The director directs many pivotal scenes horribly. The filmmakers care for the book does translate to the screen though
  4. Nov 15, 2014
    Yuck! What a sappy movie! Haven't we seen stuff like this many times before, for example, Princes in Exile (1990) which altogether was a better flick. They should stop making movies like this altogether as I am running out of barf bags.
  5. Jun 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All emotions aside, this movie was worth the watch, but solely for entertainment and tear-jerking purposes. This movie does not deserve a perfect 10 (it's no 12 Years a Slave or Pulp Fiction), but it does deserve some credibility where it earned it— the cinematography and the acting, most notably. Both leads did a wonderful job selling their characters. Unfortunately, however (and this may just be a critique of the book rather than the movie), the plot was somewhat flawed. For one, the movie (unlike the book) didn't explain why the father wasn't more of a prominent figure, whereas the mother was heavily involved. That's a simple flaw, and not one worth giving a lower score for. What does alter my score, however, are the multiple plot cliches found throughout the movie, as well as film cliches. There was, of course!, the typical 'grab something at the same time and touch our hands "accidentally" ' cliche. What I do commemorate is the slight plot twist: (DON'T READ THIS SENTENCE IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE OR READ THE BOOK) most people would probably assume that Hazel would die, rather than Gus. So that was a nice gut-buster. Overall, apart from the cliches and ultimate goal of causing the audience to flood the theater in their own tears, the movie was entertaining and inspiring (as well as the book, obviously). It reminds me of Perks of Being a Wallflower, but not quite as good. It was an interesting take on a 21st century coming-of-age film (which is how I understood it to be, but with a touch of cancer). As a film, this movie deserves between a 5.5-6.5; as modern entertainment, this movie deserves an 8-9. Recommended but not praised. Expand
  6. Nov 10, 2014
    The Fault in our Stars is a faithful companion to its source material with emotion delivered through a small tale of love. It truly outshines it's faults with its stars, literally.
  7. Sep 16, 2014
    como critico (asi me llama mi mama T-T) estoy obligado a dejarme llevar por peliculas fuera de mi imaginacion, entre ellas me encontre con "The fault in our stars", una pelicula que me parece es una de las mejores peliculas romanticas que he visto en mi vida, no solo te da el suficiente desarrollo de personajes como para llegarte a creer que enserio estan enamorados, es una pelicula quecomo critico (asi me llama mi mama T-T) estoy obligado a dejarme llevar por peliculas fuera de mi imaginacion, entre ellas me encontre con "The fault in our stars", una pelicula que me parece es una de las mejores peliculas romanticas que he visto en mi vida, no solo te da el suficiente desarrollo de personajes como para llegarte a creer que enserio estan enamorados, es una pelicula que enserio te hara sentir el mal que estos dos sufren y te hara experimentar momentos emotivos que hasta al mas macho le hara sentirse mal, es una pelicula que nos cuenta una historia que se siente pura y real, no se siente forzada, ni pretenciosa, es una pelicula que a pesar de sus 2 horas de duracion se siente rapida, muy recomendable, bastante bien tratada y pulida, lo unico que no me gusto es la actuacion del chico, solo en ocasiones se le ve muy poco natural, pero en el resto de la pelicula es muy expresivo y bastante agradable, te la recomiendo mucho.
    un saludo para mis amigos latinos, adios.
  8. Oct 29, 2014
    I'm open to all kinds of genre's, especially drama and romance. However, I didn't realize that this movie is it's OWN genre. It's unrealistic adventure of two cancer patients tries to be a tear jerker but ends up being a film that painfully reminds you of Twilight. What should be two teens struggling with cancer and finding light in dark room turns out to be an expression of two teensI'm open to all kinds of genre's, especially drama and romance. However, I didn't realize that this movie is it's OWN genre. It's unrealistic adventure of two cancer patients tries to be a tear jerker but ends up being a film that painfully reminds you of Twilight. What should be two teens struggling with cancer and finding light in dark room turns out to be an expression of two teens having fun in a ball pit. The character's relationship is that of two mayflies that happened to think one had a cute butt. Expand
  9. Nov 19, 2014
    Loved the story from the book. Good concept. We really got to go sometime. It's not always things favors our side. Shailene Woodley did a good job portraying her character. It's not your usual girl-dying-stories. Touching, and so good that I can actually feel that it is happening.
  10. Apr 5, 2015
    One should not even look at this title unless if she is a twelve year old or younger. One of the cheesiest, most predictable films that I have ever laid my eyes upon. Symbolism is often a key and interesting part in movies, but this movie outright abused it. Any so called symbolism they had, the main characters explicitly explained to the audience what it was. Oh yeah, let us also pointOne should not even look at this title unless if she is a twelve year old or younger. One of the cheesiest, most predictable films that I have ever laid my eyes upon. Symbolism is often a key and interesting part in movies, but this movie outright abused it. Any so called symbolism they had, the main characters explicitly explained to the audience what it was. Oh yeah, let us also point out that they make out in Anne Frank's room and everyone claps, because that is not strange at all! The drawn out scenes..............please spare yourselves the agony of exposing anyone to this pathetically contrived tragedy and retain a part of your brain so that you may use it in the future. Expand
  11. Jun 6, 2014
    I have never been surrounded by so many teenage girls before until I sat down to watch this film. During an early screening of the alluring teenage film adaptation of John Green’s novel The Fault In Our Stars, I was surely the minority of the sexes. To be honest, I don’t think I knew exactly how outnumbered I was until the film’s tragic scenes unfolded, delivering a current of waterworksI have never been surrounded by so many teenage girls before until I sat down to watch this film. During an early screening of the alluring teenage film adaptation of John Green’s novel The Fault In Our Stars, I was surely the minority of the sexes. To be honest, I don’t think I knew exactly how outnumbered I was until the film’s tragic scenes unfolded, delivering a current of waterworks and overwhelmingly loud wails of screaming, crying and sniffling, predominantly from female audience members. This early screening of the film was jam-packed, and had me sitting only a row away from the massive screen. If Josh Boone’s film adaptation of The Fault In Our Stars taught me anything, it’s to never underestimate the power of teenage girls and their ability to pack theaters and show their support for films and books they love.

The Fault In Our Stars is guilty of possessing a number of faults, but its biggest sin lies in its persistence to aspire to be greater than it actually is. It succeeds when it exposes us to the tragic relationship between its protagonists and the loved ones around them, and fails when it aspires to find new territory of plot and redemption for characters that are already born with unlimited amounts of pathos.

Hazel Grace Lancaster (Shailene Woodley) is as much a teenage girl as any other living in the United States. Her love of reality television, reading and curiosity of the taboo is just as strong as other girls within America. The only difference: Hazel Grace has terminal cancer. The Fault In Our Stars should be a film about cancer and how it effects the people surrounded by it (think 50/50), but it becomes overwhelming with its fascination to overly glamorize the telling of a tainted love story, therefore becoming a love story about people with cancer (think A Walk To Remember).

From the beginning, love, life and happiness are overshadowed by impending doom, and that is perhaps the problem with the film. No matter how much you fall in love with Hazel Grace or Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort), their fates are sealed. Green’s novel may have been about telling a heart-breaking love story between young teens, but much like Hazel’s fascination with her favourite book and the open endedness of a certain literary character, Hazel’s happiness is less about coming to terms with death, and more about the continuation of the life of her loved ones. The interactions with the people who will survive and live well beyond Hazel’s existence are never given their due diligence on-screen, especially her mother (played delicately by Laura Dern), always being pushed aside by the love story that will ultimately end in unhappiness and tears.

There is sure to be a reason why Green’s novel has becomes such a pop culture sensation. The film is said to be a somewhat loyal adaptation, brimming with very clever metaphors of life and death through dialogue and foreshadowing. It does a masterful job of **** the most average looking parks, backyards and parking lots, and makes great use of its supporting actors. Sadly, the two actors that have the most screen time are the two weakest components of the film. Woodley, who is slowly following in the footsteps of Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence, seems to play Hazel Grace less, and herself more. With the exception of her chopping off her hair and having an oxygen tank follow her around everywhere she goes, Woodley only taps the surface of her character Hazel Grace, barely gracing audiences with the brilliance radiating with the promise of such a philosophically pessimistic character.

Elgort, who comes off as a character who is easy to fall in love with, shows much of his charm and promise as a young actor. Elgort as Waters shimmers with potential, delivering a performance of a person who may be a little too cherry and perfect, given sad circumstances.

Green had said to gain the inspiration of the novel by working as a student chaplain at a children’s hospital. Drawn to the exuberant life of its terminally ill patients, Green is quoted as saying he wanted to write a book about people who were constantly being dehumanized, while showcasing the abundance of humanity in people with a terminal illness. The film does an excellent job of making audiences believe that love is what keeps Hazel and Augustus alive. Love becomes the answer, but only for so long before the inevitability of death at the end of a terminal illness takes hold. There is a point where love exists, and people fade in the film, and although the relationships that held strong are bonded by love, hope of an improbably oblivion becomes the films main concern.

The Fault In Our Stars can be self-assured as being a quality film made for an audience that would be content with half-assed filmmaking. The production quality and storytelling is top-notch, even if its is constantly emotionally manipulating.
  12. Jun 27, 2014
    As with all overly sentimental, trashy pieces of junk literature, the film adaptation has managed to revolt me even more. The horrid language and ideas being thrown around for the duration of the film were beyond belief; the whole fiasco seemed tailored to newly-heartbroken teenagers with their assortment of fan gear and tears. No true purveyor of literature should read the book; the sameAs with all overly sentimental, trashy pieces of junk literature, the film adaptation has managed to revolt me even more. The horrid language and ideas being thrown around for the duration of the film were beyond belief; the whole fiasco seemed tailored to newly-heartbroken teenagers with their assortment of fan gear and tears. No true purveyor of literature should read the book; the same goes doubly for this ramshackle excuse of a movie. Expand
  13. Jun 7, 2014
    A truly sad movie, which has a Stella cast, script and chemistry. The story, humor and direction is AAA. One of the saddest movies in recent years. which can stand in the light with "My Sister Keeper". The Fault in Our Stars is a very satisfying movie, that will bring you to tears. I highly recommend this movie to everyone! Cant wait for the DVD.
  14. Jun 7, 2014
    Overall, a good movie. It stayed true to the parts of the book that were shown... but I felt like the parts of the book that were left out hollowed the story some. Most of the messy details after the Amsterdam trip were cut as was the ex, which I felt lent truth to the story.
  15. Oct 17, 2014
    What a disappointment. This movie is grossly overrated. Terrible acting and a story that runs at a glacial pace. Unless you are 12 years old, I imagine you'll be terribly disappointed.
  16. Jun 8, 2014
    really good movie. had a good story and good character development. I actually became attached to the main characters. Ignore the bad reviews they most likely are trying to get people to not watch the movie just for the heck of it.
  17. Sep 17, 2014
    Way too maudlin, melodramatic and predictable. Only saving grace Woodley's performance, I kept admiring how easily she contrasted the vitality of the character in Divergent. But other than that, way too long and torturous, especially for such a predictable script.
  18. Jul 14, 2014
    Unlikable characters and mind-numbing tediousness makes for two hours you'll never get back. There was not a single moment at which I even felt obliged to cry as the characters were as two dimensional as the plot which is unfortunately, yet unsurprisingly, just another teen romance novel disguised behind what could have been a very deep and meaningful message. Another chick-flick thatUnlikable characters and mind-numbing tediousness makes for two hours you'll never get back. There was not a single moment at which I even felt obliged to cry as the characters were as two dimensional as the plot which is unfortunately, yet unsurprisingly, just another teen romance novel disguised behind what could have been a very deep and meaningful message. Another chick-flick that falls short on all bases, especially acting and dialogue. Expand
  19. Jun 10, 2014
    The Fault in Our Stars was worth the hype for both readers and non-readers.

The Fault in Our Stars was worth the hype for both readers and non-readers.

First, it did justice to the books 90 percent and I was okay with the changes. The only change I didn't like was how they handled the Peter Van Houten scene. It was way more funnier in my mind. Like, at least make Van Houten open the door than Lidewij. The way Van Houten slammed the door in front of Hazel and Gus was funny as hell in the book. But otherwise, the changes were good. I suggest you should read the book because these changes otherwise makes the book better.

Second, the direction of the movie was great. I would love to watch Josh Boone's other movies because he did a good job directing the movie. And the script was great as well. I loved the screenwriters of the movie, who they also wrote The Spectacular Now, 500 Days of Summer and the upcoming movie Paper Towns. (YEY!)

Third, the performance from the cast was excellent. From the minor characters of Hazel's parents to the screen couple, Hazel and Gus. The chemistry between Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort was perfect. They had better chemistry as a couple than as siblings in Divergent.

Fourth, the feels. Argh. It did pull out my heart strings. But actual tears didn't came out unlike in the book. But still, the feels. Come on.

And lastly, the appeal to the audience is great. While it's a teenage movie, it's more of a multi-generational movie. And also, it appeals to the non-readers as well. I had a friend who I watched with in the advance screening that didn't read the book and she was crying as hell.

While I still like the book better than the movie, The Fault in Our Stars is worth the hype among the readers and non-readers with its brillant casting. performance, directing and script.
  20. Jun 25, 2014
    Intrinsically dishonest whilst purporting to be the definitive truth about living and dying with cancer. This is objectionable on nearly every level. Based on a best selling book it can claim as its own a lead female character who is, oh so, with it and everyone calls her by, not one, but two names- Hazel Grace, if you will! It also has a cool male lead and we know this because he goesIntrinsically dishonest whilst purporting to be the definitive truth about living and dying with cancer. This is objectionable on nearly every level. Based on a best selling book it can claim as its own a lead female character who is, oh so, with it and everyone calls her by, not one, but two names- Hazel Grace, if you will! It also has a cool male lead and we know this because he goes around with an unlit cigarette between his teeth as a metaphor for life and death. So far, so vomit inducing, and that's just for starters. The screenplay and dialogue is so saccharine that diabetes sufferers should steer well clear.
    Shailene Woodley, reminding one of a young Debra Winger in her manner, is obviously capable of handling better material, but is only ok under such unfair circumstances. However, in the male lead Ansel Elgort is just annoying. The film is also desperately overlong and the scenes involving Willem Dafoe just don't work at all. We are also treated to an embarrassing first kiss between the two leads in the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, which actually has the other visitors applauding and tips the film into bathos.
    The lack of empathy one feels for the characters is also underlined by a syrupy score and some of the worst songs to be heard in a film for quite some time. At one point Woodley says that a nurse once asked her on a scale of 1-10 where she would rate her pain. I would have to disagree with her 9 and say my pain level was at the 10 mark. This is the sort of film you wish they didn't make anymore and the critics that have praised it, enticing my viewing, leave me baffled.
  21. Jul 9, 2014
    This movie was utterly one of the most poorly executed movies in the past couple years. It had potential and a good premise, the book was good. Directing was disastrous, acting sub par, cheesy, pretentious garbage i wish I never saw.
  22. Jun 6, 2014
    A wise, funny, and heartbreaking film adaptation that is strengthen by its lead performances and well-written screenplay. "The Fault In Our Stars" will definitely please fans of the books and moviegoers alike.
  23. Jul 31, 2014
    Life comes at us in full swing.. 24/7, we never know the boundaries of our limitations always taking things further and beyond anything we, as society, imagine. I'm not a typical schultz when it comes to sappy romantic novels, or love stories of any genre. To be honest, they inflame me. Setting up unrealistic approaches to how "love" is supposed to be.
    In the end, someone is left dead or
    In the end, someone is left dead or crying. Now, before I start to sound like a weeping school girl, I give you the film "The Fault In Our Stars" which I must say.. is a rare, rare exception. A film that never exploits itself too much, and has relentless humor that perfectly balances the fatal backdrop. I have not read the acclaimed novel from author John Green. However, In the days leading up to this screening, I had heard nothing but positive things about the book. It's clear now after seeing the film, what a tremendous band of characters, and a touching story that Green has vastly created..and to him I say well done.

The movie chronicles the events of Hazel Grace Lancaster, a sixteen year old, dealing with the everyday struggle of living with her terminal (but treatable) cancer. With no friends and nothing look to forward to in life, The film also follows the unforgettable journey of love when she meets Augustus Waters, a likeable and pretentious eighteen year old that is persistent and charming. The two instantly hit it off, and form a bond that is unbreakable. To the point that nothing can separate them. Co-existing in each others lives, and finding the true meaning of each other.

We can't have this film, if not for our stunning and talented leads. You may remember the pair as on screen siblings in the film adaptation of "Divergent" that came out earlier this year. But, "true" audience members are going to remember them for playing, Hazel Grace Lancaster, and Augustus Waters. I'm talking about Shailene Woodley, and her trustful leading man Ansel Elgort. The two are miraculous to watch on screen together, easily the best chemistry between any romance since, Rachel McAdams & Ryan Gosling in "The Notebook". (Yes I've seen that movie too...shocking I know). Ansel Elgort is truly coming into his own as a delicate performer. However, this time around the film belongs to Woodley and her mastery of Hazel Grace. So much passion, so much raw material infused into her grief stricken performance, that ..dare I say.. brought me to tears. Hazel is such a fragile character, and you understand this within the opening credits. The mental stability and such all seemed to come natural to Woodly, whom made me feel so much within a two hour time frame. Great supporting work also comes from long time favorite Willem Dafoe, as well as, Laura Dern, Nat Wolff and Sam Trammell. They round out the film and make it feel whole.

Woodley was undoubtedly good...yes, but we can't say it's nothing without Ansel Elgort and his charismatic charm, memorable metaphors and wit he brings to the character of Augustus Waters. In addition, this film is only going to be as good are your two leads, and that's usually where the problem lies, this is never the case in this film. Director Josh Boone gets the most out of his performers and writers Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Webber do the justice (I believe) is deserved. Of course, as history would have it, I assume the book is better.

In Comparison we look at other films like "The Vow", "Safe Haven" and even "Endless Love" ..was there anything here to create a likeable basis?..that didn't stumble into a crate of dumbfoundedness..and horrendous stupidity?. Those films are not love stories..there simply are films attempting to create one. Besides a film like "The Notebook", and "The Fault In Our Stars" only come along every so often.. It's sad that a film like "The Vow" was based on an actual true story..and. do in heavy to the belligerents of the director and cast, I didn't believe it for a second. Our Director, Josh Boone takes these giant cliches and simply washes away with them, inflicting some strong emotional damage, and a film you think about long after leaving your local multiplex.

Anyone that has ever dealt with cancer, the loss of a loved one, anything tough of this latitude in general will feel a resounding connection with this film. Even for folks that haven't read the book (like myself). "The Fault In Our Stars" is deeply moving and swiftly upbeat all the same, which is saying alot for me. The movie perfectly balances it's tough subject matter. The only problem I couldn't get over..was that Shailene Woodley did look a little too older to be playing a quote on quote "sixteen year old", which didn't ruin the film..it just hurt the credibility a little bit.

As stated earlier, it's extremely rare to come across such a love story that can evoke a genuine feel that doesn't seem dated or overly excessive. A story that is entertaining but not preachy. You either buy into it, or you don't. Thanks to strong leads, a bunch of talented crew members, writers and directors that brought this all together. "The Fault In Our Stars" works on a grander scale as a whole, and if this film doesn't pull on your heartstrings. I don't know what will.

A

Studio: Fox
    Release Date: June 6th 2014

Thanks For Stopping By.
  24. Aug 21, 2014
    The Fault in Our Stars walks a thin line that could have easily crossed into being cheesy, but style of writing and great chemistry between the leads, gives a touching lovely story that felt meaningful.
  25. Jun 13, 2014
    At a point, when watching “The Fault In Our Stars”, you forget you are watching actors and just know that Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgott are Hazel Grace and Augustus (Gus) Waters, teenagers who are falling in love, Hazel Grace reluctantly and Augustus all gung ho. That both have cancer, hers in the metastatic stage and his in remission, is handled lightly though it is a major theme asAt a point, when watching “The Fault In Our Stars”, you forget you are watching actors and just know that Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgott are Hazel Grace and Augustus (Gus) Waters, teenagers who are falling in love, Hazel Grace reluctantly and Augustus all gung ho. That both have cancer, hers in the metastatic stage and his in remission, is handled lightly though it is a major theme as to what happens. Watching Gus and Hazel Grace fall in love just brings smiles to your face as she fights it and knows it is inevitable.

As her parents Laura Dern and Sam Trammell are supportive, caring and, knowing they have a strong daughter, don’t baby her. Gus’s best friend Isaac, played by Nat Wolff, who also has cancer, brings black humor that relieves a few heavy moments.

About midway in the movie the production moves to Amsterdam and it will certainly bring many more tourists as they want to follow where Gus and Hazel Grace have a romantic dinner or cruise along the canals the lovers travel plus visit the Anne Frank house and memorial, not to mention the hotel---oh, oh that would be a spoiler!!!

The only part of the film where the director, Josh Boone, and screenplay writers, Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber based on the book by John Green, go astray is when it comes to the story line, acted by William DaFoe as an author and Lotte Verbeek as his assistant, which also adds a false note to the ending.

I had expected a tear jerker---come on--teens with cancer--from beginning to end but Woodley and Elgort don’t let you dwell on that with Elgort’s exuberance for life and Woodley as natural an actress that puts her up there with Jennifer Lawrence.

There was a twist near the end that surprised me but we get to meet another couple of real parents in David Whalen and Milica Govich.

“The Fault In Our Stars” is a beautiful love story that will bring tears to your eyes but not the depression you would expect in a story about teens with cancer.
  26. Jun 6, 2014
    My friend and I went to go see the Thursday night premiere of this the other day. Both of us have read the book and we both really enjoyed the movie. There were portions-like Augustus' ex girlfriend that were completely cut and should not have been, and this is more of a tear-up than burst our crying movie. I was certainly less emotional during the movie than I was reading the book.My friend and I went to go see the Thursday night premiere of this the other day. Both of us have read the book and we both really enjoyed the movie. There were portions-like Augustus' ex girlfriend that were completely cut and should not have been, and this is more of a tear-up than burst our crying movie. I was certainly less emotional during the movie than I was reading the book. Nonetheless, it's a faithful, engaging adaptation. Expand
  27. Jun 15, 2014
    The Fault In Our Stars is another movie based off of a best selling young adult book like the Hunger Games and Divergent etc. But something separates this film from the others- it's not a action, pulse pounding thriller like the others, and if I were to recall- no serious, humorous films that have been based on a YA book ever came out. Well, director Josh Boone is taking on the project ofThe Fault In Our Stars is another movie based off of a best selling young adult book like the Hunger Games and Divergent etc. But something separates this film from the others- it's not a action, pulse pounding thriller like the others, and if I were to recall- no serious, humorous films that have been based on a YA book ever came out. Well, director Josh Boone is taking on the project of The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Now, clearly this is a movie made for teens and as I watched, the whole theatre was booked full of 12 or 17 yr old girls. But this film is rich, gleeful and sad, which makes it one of the best film by far of this great year. I haven't seen a movie like this ever before! There were many choices for Hazel but Divergent star Shaliane Woodley qualifies and she gives a real oscar worthy performance. Augustus and Hazel were great characters and nicely balanced throughout the film. It's a must watch. Full on 10/10. Expand
  28. Sep 17, 2014
    This film had me from the start and never let me go. I know many would think to stay away from another teen romance book adaptation, but this film is a must see. The care that is given to these characters makes it stand alone in that genre. All the performances are stand out especially Shailene Woodley who may be deserving of an Oscar nomination. Let me hand in my man card right nowThis film had me from the start and never let me go. I know many would think to stay away from another teen romance book adaptation, but this film is a must see. The care that is given to these characters makes it stand alone in that genre. All the performances are stand out especially Shailene Woodley who may be deserving of an Oscar nomination. Let me hand in my man card right now this is one of the best films of the year better than X-Men better than Godzilla better than Captain America yes I said it. A Expand
  29. Nov 29, 2014
    even though i have not read John Greens soulful book , The movie is worth it the most by the way i will read the novel indeed after this. it was kinda weird for Shailene Woodley to do make a romantic love story with her " Divergent" brother Ansel Elgort but who am i to judge this beautiful movie with this amazing cast with an oscar winning cast. there is no grade for this perfection movie
  30. Aug 27, 2014
    The Fault in Our Stars Movie Review

Despite The Fault in Our Stars having an extremely sensitive and emotional subject matter, I had a smile on my face for much of the film. The Fault in Our Stars is based on the best-selling novel by John Green. It’s the best book to movie adaptation I’ve seen in a long time. I say this because it avoids both book and movie clichés, nicely, while
    The Fault in Our Stars Movie Review

The Fault in Our Stars is based on the best-selling novel by John Green. It’s the best book to movie adaptation I’ve seen in a long time. I say this because it avoids both book and movie clichés, nicely, while offering a fresh look at the teen’ romance genre.

Director, Josh Boone tells the story of a sixteen-year-old cancer patient played flawlessly by Shailene Woodley. Woodley’s character is forced to attend a support group where she meets a boy. They quickly become friends and we watch as their relationship blossoms into something more. The boy-meets-girl plot may be old, but it’s far from stale.

Gripping, realistic characters and down to earth stories helped ground the messages in this movie. Never once did the ideas brought up in the film feel forced. The creators did an excellent job at leaving the big questions about life up to the interpretation of the viewers. Yet enough of the simple plot points were answered to leave us satisfied.

The acting was brilliant and made the whole film work. Each character was likable and had arcs; whether they were important to the story or not, they were still entertaining. The dialogue was realistic throughout the movie, creating an immersive experience that carried viewers into the world of the characters.

Unfortunately, the film did suffer some off-beat moments and a few scenes felt slightly prolonged. There were also a handful of tear-jerking scenes toward the end, that came across as forced.

The Fault in Our Stars offers great performances that are well worth the watch, and the heartfelt story is one that will make you stop and evaluate life. Put this film on your must-watch list of 2014.
  31. Jun 8, 2014
    I gave a seven bc the book is much better than the movie. But seriously, this is one of the saddest-but-still-good movie I've ever watched. And I also love the castings. :)
  32. Jun 25, 2014
    The leading man is insufferably cocky and completely unable to convey genuine emotion when it was desperately needed. Laura Dern is wasted and seems embarrassed by what she was required to do. Woodley performed well, despite never once looking even vaguely ill, and her 80's mom haircut never having a hair out of place. The lead's friend, who is going blind for god's sake, is there solelyThe leading man is insufferably cocky and completely unable to convey genuine emotion when it was desperately needed. Laura Dern is wasted and seems embarrassed by what she was required to do. Woodley performed well, despite never once looking even vaguely ill, and her 80's mom haircut never having a hair out of place. The lead's friend, who is going blind for god's sake, is there solely for comic relief, and once he is blind is still only given glib interjections. At no point did I believe any of them was ill. I didn't believe anything. I cracked up laughing in the inevitable scene-designed-to-make-everyone-cry. It looked like it was made for the Hallmark channel, and I'm sure there it will have a much longer life than these kids. Expand
  33. Jun 18, 2014
    This movie is total garbage. Yet another show of how our society's movies are completely rated on how close to Twilight they are. Why is it that good movies are given low scores while **** movies are overrated and praised by only a few people. This is another overrated piece of trash that will not be remembered past 2014.
  34. Jun 7, 2014
    Far from a perfect film, this movie succeeds on every level that counts. A fantastic adaptation of a beautiful book by John Green that is skillfully directed by Josh Boone. Never maudlin, and delicately handled drama, "Fault" makes you appreciate life, love, and the simple moments that make up our life. Shailene Woodley is amazing in this film. She inhabits this character so fully that itFar from a perfect film, this movie succeeds on every level that counts. A fantastic adaptation of a beautiful book by John Green that is skillfully directed by Josh Boone. Never maudlin, and delicately handled drama, "Fault" makes you appreciate life, love, and the simple moments that make up our life. Shailene Woodley is amazing in this film. She inhabits this character so fully that it is hard to not emotionally invest in her from the get go. She isn't afraid to expose her emotions and let the story unfold. Ansel Elgort is also a brilliant star shining in the "Fault" universe. He understands this beloved character and creates a nuanced, later raw performance that is not only impressive, but awe inspiring. A brave actor and truly talented man. The scene on the bench in Amsterdam between the two actors should be studied in master classes for actors. The rest of the cast also meld into their respective characters wonderfully and round out this phenomenal story. A gifted soundtrack that not only adds to the film, it draws the audience in. This kind of film is important to make. It truly affirms that love isn't perfect and neither is life, you do not get a say in your circumstances, but you can control your reaction and the effect they have on it. Life is messy and emotional and "Fault" never takes advantage of the audience. This isn't a tearjerker, this is an emotion evoker. Boone brings this beloved story to life and with our hearts and minds. Expand
  35. Jun 7, 2014
    I walked into the theater not really knowing what the movie was about. Within the first 10 or so minutes a basically knew how it was going to end. It has the worst dialogue imaginable full of stupid metaphors and whiny arguments. Keep the the money you would spend watching this movies and see something that's not an overrated pile of garbage.
  36. Aug 27, 2014
    Alas, an overly hyped movie that was only enjoyable if you like to watch awkward romances fizzle into existence on-screen, only for the main character to die before the end making the last part of the movie un-watchable because all the teenage girls in the cinema are flooding the place with tears.
  37. Jun 21, 2014
    Fantastic movie, and I was hesitant to go see it. My fiancee asked me to watch it with her and I came along to watch it (tonight). It starts a bit slow but I like the pacing and it avoids being too cliche in all points. I very much enjoyed the message the movie sent and how it was portrayed.

Can't say much without spoiling it, but definitely the best ending I love to hate in 2014.
  38. Jun 6, 2014
    I know that the book and movie differed. Which is usual, but in this movie there were unnecessary changes.
    It didn't have a different story they just focused deeper on different topics like 40/60 then 60/40. It was definitely a tear guzzler. It was a great movie to see then have an existential crisis. With well developed goofy characters and a story that makes the viewer think about the meaning of things I recommend it to everyone who doesn't only like a specific genre movie. P.S. Notice the subliminal symbolic things
  39. Jun 6, 2014
    I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. No, I have not read the book. I plan to get around to doing that eventually. I was expecting a lot of cliches and a lot of cheesy, overwrought emotionalism. Yes, there was some of that, but it didn't end up bothering me in the way I expected it to. Yes, this movie is very sad, but I think everyone will know this going into it, regardless of whetherI was pleasantly surprised by this movie. No, I have not read the book. I plan to get around to doing that eventually. I was expecting a lot of cliches and a lot of cheesy, overwrought emotionalism. Yes, there was some of that, but it didn't end up bothering me in the way I expected it to. Yes, this movie is very sad, but I think everyone will know this going into it, regardless of whether or not they have read the book. It is, after all, a love story about 2 individuals with cancer that starts by explaining that love stories aren't the way you see them in the books. There are a couple of amusing ironies like this throughout, because, of course, this is a book, or movie, so, by definition, this is how love is portrayed in the books and movies. Later in the movie, a character named Gus wishes to be remembered, and worries he will not be, and Hazel remarks that like all the best love stories, it will die with the two of them. Of course, this is false, because their love story is enshrined in a wildly popular novel and now a movie.
    Anyways, this movie likes to tow the line between cheesy cliches and genuinely heartbreaking emotion. It does a great job. There will be the occasional line that makes you cringe a tiny bit because you feel like you've heard it in hundreds of love stories before, and it's not getting any more original. But then there will be a line or two that pleasantly surprises you with its originality. Similarly, there are a lot of subplots that end exactly the way you would expect them to, but there are several that don't. For instance, the subplot regarding the favorite author of Hazel ends differently than I had expected, and this pleased me, and a certain eulogy a certain character reads also takes a different turn than I had expected. And despite this being primarily a teenage love story, I found Hazel's interactions with her parents to be some of the most powerful scenes in the movie. Between some of the doomed love story cliches, moments like this keep popping up and surprising the viewer, and, by the end of the movie, I was left feeling that the movie's originality, for the most part, overshadowed its cliches. You might leave the theater feeling a little bit miserable inside, but, for me, that's okay, because the emotional rollercoaster was worth it, and we all knew somebody was going to die in a movie about a romance between two teens with severe Cancer, one of whom is depressed and the other of whom is obsessed with defying Cancer through cheesy symbolism involving cigarettes. Also, a certain blind character provides comedic relief in an otherwise intense movie. So, yeah. It was good. Not the best movie I've ever seen. Not even close. Probably not in the top five or maybe even ten movies of the year, but it was good, and it was worth my time.
  40. Jul 7, 2014
    Terrible. A movie based on an over-hyped generic stupid pre-teen/teenager young adult novel? How could that possibly be anything other than awful? Sure, it's better than the nonsense that is Twilight, the Host, and maybe the Hunger Games, because after all, John Green (the book's author) is a talented guy.

But all in all, this movie sucks.
  41. Jun 9, 2014
    Another installation of a film adaption of a macabre writing genre more commonly known as sick lit. Aimed specifically to appeal to the Twilight crowd, this movie does not do the book justice. Too many omitted scenes mar the character development of people who become defined by nothing more than their illness. The numerous clichés (eg they both grab something at the same time becauseAnother installation of a film adaption of a macabre writing genre more commonly known as sick lit. Aimed specifically to appeal to the Twilight crowd, this movie does not do the book justice. Too many omitted scenes mar the character development of people who become defined by nothing more than their illness. The numerous clichés (eg they both grab something at the same time because they're so in sync). The movie purposes removes the grittiness that grounded the book in reality to create an almost fairy tale like story with a dash of cancer thrown in for tear jerking. Woodley seems to be this generation's Kristen Stewart and has the lack of emotion to match.

Forget the movie, read the book instead
  42. Jun 13, 2014
    Shailene Woodley plays a young woman who has been ravaged by cancer since she was 13. She meets Ansel Elgort in a support group and they proceed to fall in love. The witty, sometimes overwritten, dialogue is part of the film's charm, but the bulk of the appeal comes from the tall, baby-faced Elgort, who's cute, charismatic and charming. Woodley is OK, but looks too old for her role. WhileShailene Woodley plays a young woman who has been ravaged by cancer since she was 13. She meets Ansel Elgort in a support group and they proceed to fall in love. The witty, sometimes overwritten, dialogue is part of the film's charm, but the bulk of the appeal comes from the tall, baby-faced Elgort, who's cute, charismatic and charming. Woodley is OK, but looks too old for her role. While I'm sure fans of the book (which I haven't read) will be thrilled and touched, the story continues too long after it felt finished and mires itself in misery. Still, it may be worth it to see Elgort in a career-making performance. Expand
  43. Jun 6, 2014
    Amazing. Perfect. Good history, actors, directors, editors. And the John Green's participation was essential for the movie. I'd watch for 1000 times. And I could watch here in Brazil, before the people in the USA.
  44. Jun 10, 2014
    "The Fault In Our Stars" is an incredible ride of emotion from start to finish. It’s a touching love story that really pulls on the heartstrings and manages to make prolific statements on life and what we as humans should do with such an amazing gift. That we are not bound by the life we are given and we can do whatever we want so as long as we don’t let our circumstances bind us.

I am

I am really impressed by this films script and how thought provoking and heartfelt it is. The relationship and the genuine emotions are so well written that not for a second I don’t believe what they are saying or feeling towards one another. I also enjoy how it doesn’t take a strong sentimental or sappy approach on the subject matter, as these characters are really sick and it could have come off as trying way too hard or manipulative. The script instead focuses on celebrating life as apposed to the darker side of death.

The director, Josh Boone, does a good job with handling everything that is going on and directs the cast well, as they are the strongest parts of the film. I really enjoy some of the stylistic approaches in the film, such as how they show the text messages. One small fault in his directing is that the film gets a bit conventional near the end and it manages to lose some of its magic. The soundtrack is well used and really drives the movie home. It’s filled with upbeat and fun songs that really makes the film feel like a celebration of life.

The cast is top class and they truly give some wonderful performances. Shailene Woodley gives a magical performance that conveys genuine happiness and heartbreaking sadness. She easily portrays so many emotions realistically and convincingly. Ansel Elgort plays Woodley’s love interest and if not done by such a good actor, he could have come off as annoying and in your face. His character is a bit loud and egotistic, but he is a nice guy and really loves everyone, who he encounters. Woodley’s and Elgort’s onscreen chemistry is incredibly good. I really bought their relationship and felt every pain that they felt. The actors are a true highlight of the film.

Overall, “The Fault In Our Stars” is a really good movie that is a fresh of breath air in this summer blockbuster season filled with high octane action and ridiculous special effect. It’s a emotional ride that does not force it’s message or manipulates its audience. It is a genuine movie that shows a brighter side of life and death. While the film does get conventional in it’s third act, it still ends on a high note. I give it an incredibly high 4/5
  45. Jun 9, 2014
    Underage drinking, statutory rape, vandalism are all things we want our teenagers to partake in. Even the adult that witnesses her own car being vandalized is just like "okay whatever" and goes back inside. With that being said, most of the adults in this movie are pushovers giving into anything the kids want or say. That's while the kids show advanced articulation and deeper thoughts.Underage drinking, statutory rape, vandalism are all things we want our teenagers to partake in. Even the adult that witnesses her own car being vandalized is just like "okay whatever" and goes back inside. With that being said, most of the adults in this movie are pushovers giving into anything the kids want or say. That's while the kids show advanced articulation and deeper thoughts. What parent lets even a healthy kid take a trip like that, especially after seeing "Taken" a few years ago. This film is also plagued with semantics that are just mistakes, like the family leaving for a vacation and forgetting the close the front door to the house, or them climbing a ladder making a big deal for her making it but saying nothing about the 1 legged boyfriend. I guess nobody cared about him anyways. Just take your girlfriend to see this one so she can have a good cry like Tom Cruise did this weekend when he saw the box office charts. Expand
  46. Jun 10, 2014
    An emotional film that while not as powerful as the book it was adapted from left me with a greater appreciation for love and life. Don't see The Fault In Our Stars if you want to see something lighthearted.
  47. Sep 5, 2014
    I was curious as to why this movie is so good and at the same time makes you cry. I don't regret watching it. It takes you on a journey out of your routine and shows you the meaning of life. A must see movie, with amazing performances, brilliant scrip and directing. Shailene is really growing on me... I think she is going places. Stunning acting.
  48. Sep 9, 2014
    With a predictable plot, it attempts to manipulate you into crying from the very beginning, not just with sadness but with happiness. Mission accomplished. Rating: 67.9 out of 100 (Above Average)
  49. Feb 19, 2015
    god,havent seen that sad movie for years,really good story and casting is amazing,love story never feel so touching. before i saw this,highly recommended by me.
  50. Jun 9, 2014
    A Sick LOVE story - one of Touching love story i saw in recent years- beautifully acted by Shailene- she made me cry . Very talented actress leading actor also done good performance- good direction,excellent story, best romantic film since my favorite A Walk To Remember - go see this Movie !
  51. Jun 9, 2014
    One of the most faithful book adaptations I've ever seen, keeping the movie as great as the book. Alot of the dialogue is even directly from the book. Movie of the year. DFTBA
  52. Jun 15, 2014
    THE FAULT IN OUR STARS is refreshingly contemporary with a really open and honest, head on depiction of death. It's not a weepy in the classic sense because I never felt that they were trying to make me cry. The direction and the two main performances really shy away from simply treacly excess. The film is way too long by about 25 minutes but the director and two stars deserve huge kudosTHE FAULT IN OUR STARS is refreshingly contemporary with a really open and honest, head on depiction of death. It's not a weepy in the classic sense because I never felt that they were trying to make me cry. The direction and the two main performances really shy away from simply treacly excess. The film is way too long by about 25 minutes but the director and two stars deserve huge kudos for keeping it real. Shailne Woodley is adorable, wonderful and honest. Equally, Ansel Elgort is a really interesting choice for the male lead. He's not pretty by today's standards and a bit of an awkward lug. Not at all what you expect from an actor in this role. I was impressed. Expand
  53. Jul 7, 2014
    a deemed extraordinary love story that is far from plausible. as it's been adapted from the novel, i can't really comment on its plot. the only thing holding this movie together is its direction and music. other than that, even if you missed it, you haven't really missed anything.
  54. Jun 13, 2014
    Una película muy bien lograda. Las actuaciones de Shailene y Ansel fueron muy buenas. Aunque debo decir que vi por ahí algunos clichés de las películas romanticas juveniles.
  55. Dec 4, 2014
    "The Fault In Our Stars" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

"The Fault In Our Stars" 10 Scale Rating: 7.0 (Good) ...

The Good: Despite an over-abundance of sap, the film definitely has it's share of solid and genuinely touching moments. The leads are well characterized and fleshed out, with snappy dialogue that makes them mostly likeable. There is also obvious chemistry between the leads (Ansel Elgort, Shailene Woodley), which is a must for a film like this. Perhaps the best performance of the film comes from Willem Dafoe who plays a miserable and reclusive writer that the lead couple idolize. You know going in that there is a tragedy in the film, and despite guessing what was going to happen, it was so well done that it still had an impact regardless.

The Bad: The sap is overbearing at times and feels non-stop. It was almost like they were shouting at you and saying " We WILL find SOMETHING to make you FEEL!" The leads eventually wear on you and their wit and off-beat humor get old. I found myself wanting them to just shut up during some of the scenes.
  56. Feb 11, 2015
    Despite the all the teenage, cancer-ridden angst - this love affair and everything about it is rather insipid. It has nothing much to say about the pains and joys of life beyond a few tearful observations. Several references throughout the movie are made to cigarettes, but not once in the entire film is there a whiff of discussion about why young people or anyone might be getting ill .. itDespite the all the teenage, cancer-ridden angst - this love affair and everything about it is rather insipid. It has nothing much to say about the pains and joys of life beyond a few tearful observations. Several references throughout the movie are made to cigarettes, but not once in the entire film is there a whiff of discussion about why young people or anyone might be getting ill .. it just kinda happens and that sucks .. What a sappy film. The cast were ok, which is why it gets a low yellow score, not red. Expand
  57. Dec 4, 2014
    The Fault in Our Stars is a noble and courageous adaptation of an honest tale of star-crossed lovers. A film of this nature is bound to verge on sappy--instead, it looks death in the face and upholds life, love and everything in between.
  58. Sep 13, 2014
    Shailene Woodley gives a great performance in an otherwise good movie. Her scenes with Laura Dern were far more engaging and real than with her co-star. It was pretty much what I expected the movie to be.
  59. Jan 29, 2015
    I had been hesitant to watch this one for a long time because I wrote it off as some silly teenage romance film, but with the leads being sick with cancer. Boy was I wrong. I swear I never expected this one to be the one to make me cry, but here I am, listening to the soundtrack and it is still making me feel something I have not felt in a while. Shailene Woodley continues to convince meI had been hesitant to watch this one for a long time because I wrote it off as some silly teenage romance film, but with the leads being sick with cancer. Boy was I wrong. I swear I never expected this one to be the one to make me cry, but here I am, listening to the soundtrack and it is still making me feel something I have not felt in a while. Shailene Woodley continues to convince me in this one that she is the next huge film actress, while this one also served as a great way for Ansel Elgort to introduce himself to me, because his acting is also incredible here. Though about kids with cancer, the tearjerking moments never feel as though they are relying solely on that, because there is just so much more to this film. Truly just beautiful in every way imaginable, The Fault in Our Stars shattered my expectations. The script, written by two of my favorite writers Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, is great. I cannot compare it to the book, but all the same, the script is perfect. It is amazing how this film can truly make you feel something for every character, as it really does not have any one dimensional characters. They are all multi-faceted in their own way and that is really what helps this one hit me in the way it has. I would also be remiss if I did not mention how good Nat Wolff, Laura Dern, and Willem Dafoe were in their supporting roles. Truly impressive stuff all-around. I love surprises like this. Expand
  60. Sep 2, 2014
    Per essere una storia che racconta di adolescenti – per di più malati di cancro - e che è indirizzata con chiarezza alle fasce più giovani di pubblico, ‘Colpa delle stelle’ riesce a ridurre i rischi insiti in entrambi i suoi aspetti peculiari trovando il modo di diventare qualcosa di più della banale trasposizione del romanzo di John Green. Grazie a una sceneggiatura che schiaccia a lungoPer essere una storia che racconta di adolescenti – per di più malati di cancro - e che è indirizzata con chiarezza alle fasce più giovani di pubblico, ‘Colpa delle stelle’ riesce a ridurre i rischi insiti in entrambi i suoi aspetti peculiari trovando il modo di diventare qualcosa di più della banale trasposizione del romanzo di John Green. Grazie a una sceneggiatura che schiaccia a lungo il pedale del freno sul lato della commozione prima di perdersi nei sentimentalismi conclusivi e a dei personaggi che trasmettono empatia anche grazie a quella che appare essere una sentita partecipazione da parte di tutto il cast, il film si mantiene su di un livello più che dignitoso e riesce a non far troppo pesare il suo essere un dispensatore di ansie lungo due ore. E questo anche se a ben vedere le caratteristiche immancabili del genere (dei generi) ci sono tutte. Per il filone adolescenziale, ecco la coppia centrale tanto carina e sfortunata, l'eroismo per amore (Gus santo subito), l’amico spalla comica, i sogni della giovinezza che si infrangono sulla realtà per non parlare della colonna sonora che è una compilation di ballate venate di opportuna malinconia per accompagnare ogni momento saliente (un po’ invadente, ma nel complesso non male con la presenza di gente come Jake Bugg, Tom Odell, Sun Kil Moon oltre al buon Vivaldi che fa figo e non impegna). In riferimento all'ambiente ospedaliero, non mancano i ricoveri d'urgenza, i cigli inumiditi dalle lacrime e un paio di scene madri: insomma, va dato merito a Scott Neustadter e Michael Weber di essersi mantenuti in miracoloso equilibrio su molti aspetti insidiosi e al semiesordiente Josh Boone di aver diretto il tutto seguendo la stessa idea di fondo. Altrove stanno invece i problemi, il principale dei quali non è la presenza di qualche colossale stupidaggine – l'applauso nella casa di Anna Frank? Ecco perchè i curatori del museo hanno impedito le riprese in loco della scena… - bensì che la pellicola duri mezzora di troppo. Il motivo va cercato in un eccesso di didascalismo in moltissime parti, come se il fatto di non raccontare tutto potesse deludere gli spettatori, specie quelli che hanno amato il libro; una scelta in contrasto con la limitazione del contrappunto creato dalle situazioni di lieve commedia presenti invece sulla pagina scritta (o almeno così mi dice mia figlia adolescente). Il risultato sono una serie di rallentamenti – lo sviluppo della relazione contrassegnato da un sovrappiù di chiacchiera a sproposito, l'interminabile racconto dei tre giorni ad Amsterdam, un finale al quale avrebbe fatto bene qualche ellissi in più – che raffreddano un po’ il coinvolgimento nella vicenda della giovane Hazel, diciassettenne malata senza molte speranze e perciò incupita (malgrado gli affettuosissimi genitori) che vede brillare un raggio di sole grazie all'amore, ricambiato, dell'altrettanto sfortunato coetaneo Gus, capace per lei di andare oltre il dolore. Come già accennato sopra, contribuisce invece a catturare lo spettatore una prova degli attori nel complesso molto buona, sia per quanto riguarda la coppia di ragazzi che, costituita da Shailene Woodley (forse un po’ grandicella per dimostrare diciassette anni, ma davvero brava a dare spessore ai moltissimi primi piani) e Ansel Elgort, interagisce con estrema naturalezza, sia per gli adulti, fra i quali si segnalano Laura Dern che riesce a stare dentro le righe come madre di Hazel e, soprattutto, Willem Dafoe capace di regalare una sgradevolezza che significa più di mille parole al misantropo Van Houten. Il risultato complessivo è, in fondo l'ennesima variazione su di un ulteriore cliché, quello che vede delle persone normali alle prese con una situazione tutto meno che ordinaria, ma – sempre se non spaventa l'argomento e tenendo comunque conto che titoli come ‘Noi siamo infinito’ militano in un'altra serie – i pregi finiscono per aver la meglio sui difetti e far la conoscenza con Hazel e Gus può valer la pena anche da parte di chi non fa parte della categoria di spettatori di riferimento. Expand
  61. Jun 11, 2014
    This movie was a very pleasant surprise and I have not read the book. Yes, I expected a tragic love story but the sarcastic playful humor on the part of Hazel Grace and her lover, Augustus, was captivating. Near the tragic end (it became quite obvious somebody was going to die - the only question was who was first) others around me were crying out loud. I was moved but not to tearsThis movie was a very pleasant surprise and I have not read the book. Yes, I expected a tragic love story but the sarcastic playful humor on the part of Hazel Grace and her lover, Augustus, was captivating. Near the tragic end (it became quite obvious somebody was going to die - the only question was who was first) others around me were crying out loud. I was moved but not to tears because the chemistry seemed so natural between them and the script flowed so well. This film was more than touching and insightful - it gave me a sense of hope that life's suffering and tragedies can have great meaning. Expand
  62. Sep 9, 2014
    Yes you might call it a teenager movie if you like but it's a very intelligent movie its beautifully written, the only stand off for me was the performances maybe because they are young actors, but once you see it you'll know that this young actress has a very bright future.
  63. Jan 6, 2015
    Good characters, decent but fairly predictable plot (though truly unique/new plots are admittedly rare nowadays). Script/dialogue is so-so. Definitely an emotional movie and one that made me somewhat sad by the end.
  64. Nov 12, 2014
    The director might be soaring after back to back success. Interestingly, both the films dealt with writers, but the main themes were romance. He's just a two movie old and now the movie goers can expect eagerly for his next venture. This movie was based on the teen novel of the same name about a 16-years-old cancer patient.

Hazel Grace, who is battling between life and death is also a

Hazel Grace, who is battling between life and death is also a strong fighter against all the odds. When her mother sends her to attend the group therapy she meets Augustus Water, a fellow member. As she is being sarcastic, Waters finds an interesting character in her. A friendship develops and they spend more time together. Even knowing there will no future together, the relationship progress and how everything ends is the rest.

Usually cancer themed movies are called tearjerker films. Surprisingly, this movie's aim was different. Of course emotion strikes, but the story narration and character developments were the basic goal. Three-fourth of the movie was well told story about teen romance. The afterwards account begins with a twist which were portrayed in the usual manner. Like all the movies, kept sentiments in the last part. The last quarter was very predictable, but they avoided cliche as much possible.

‘‘Apparently, the world is not
    a wish-granting factory.’’

The parents' role was kind of mysterious one, that diverts viewer from their anticipation. Interesting it also creates some doubts. Compared to the previous movie 'The Spectacular Now', Shailene Woodley looked completely different. That means the physical transformed to look a perfect 16 year old was amazing. Her performance as well gives an impression that the Hollywood's future Academy award grabbing the female lead is on making. At this rate she can do that like Jennifer Lawrence did.

As for the lead actor, it is a good breakthrough and expecting the same result from his next movie as well. This movie, which runs over a 2 hour was smartly sliced the contents and organized those on the right spots. Many had agreed it was a fine cinema transformation from a book. So you can try this, but be careful because nowadays most of the teens movies are overrated because of the overwhelmed teen audience. The warning meant only for the older people. I'm sure the youngster will love this movie, I mean most of them.
  65. Aug 14, 2014
    "The Fault in Our Stars" demands to be felt more so than it demands to be seen. The fantastic acting is beautifully accompanied by a so well-fitting soundtrack that those two alone can manage to place a lump in your throat more than once, and I'm not even including the heart-breaking story. Augustus and Hazel aren't your average cheesy book-to-novel teenagers, because their struggle with"The Fault in Our Stars" demands to be felt more so than it demands to be seen. The fantastic acting is beautifully accompanied by a so well-fitting soundtrack that those two alone can manage to place a lump in your throat more than once, and I'm not even including the heart-breaking story. Augustus and Hazel aren't your average cheesy book-to-novel teenagers, because their struggle with cancer gives them a certain maturity and unevadable pressure that few stories manage to obtain. If you're looking for a movie that really hits you in the heart with quotable lines that will linger in your head for a long time after, The Fault in Our Stars is definately what will keep your boat afloat. (PS: read the book. It's fan-tas-tic.) Expand
  66. Aug 22, 2014
    Whenever I'm about to see a film with this kind of plot, I shiver. Because they usually resolve in one of two ways: either they try to break you down or they try to teach you. This one sort of attempts both. But while the subject of the film is sad as it is, considering that things like those happen every day, I don't want to rate the subject of the film but rather the film itself as aWhenever I'm about to see a film with this kind of plot, I shiver. Because they usually resolve in one of two ways: either they try to break you down or they try to teach you. This one sort of attempts both. But while the subject of the film is sad as it is, considering that things like those happen every day, I don't want to rate the subject of the film but rather the film itself as a work of art.

Cancer is a bad beast, if you want to know more about it, there's a lot of people around you who have it and can tell you.
  67. Jun 30, 2014
    Not good. Not bad. But, completely forgettable. I'm a pretty big fan of the book and all this movie did was slightly diminish how I'll look at it if ever decide to read it again. Shailene Woodley was passable and Ansel Elgort had his moments, but ultimately they both left me feeling like somebody else could have done it better.
  68. Apr 12, 2015
    This adaptation of a young adult melodrama is so **** bad it is unwatchable mainly because of Ansel's pedo face he reminds me so much of a young Ted Bundy. The worst scene is when the leads share a kiss in the Anne Frank house and all the other visitors clap. Really they accept each other's love in an artifact of mass murder and were suppose o be ok with this. This movie is just way toThis adaptation of a young adult melodrama is so **** bad it is unwatchable mainly because of Ansel's pedo face he reminds me so much of a young Ted Bundy. The worst scene is when the leads share a kiss in the Anne Frank house and all the other visitors clap. Really they accept each other's love in an artifact of mass murder and were suppose o be ok with this. This movie is just way to damn whimsical, Willem Defoe character is the most real character and he is marked as the villain the realist is the villain a straw man at that too. Expand
  69. Aug 29, 2014
    This is one of those movies the you hate completely or you fall in love with. If you like to cry and enjoy sad and emotional movies go for it. I watched it and it was great. The actors deliever the feeling and atmosphere. The only downfall is that the length is too long and it could be shorter.
  70. Jun 24, 2014
    I loved reading the book. It was funny, heart felt and depressing. The movie gave the book life, in a way that every sentence written was given a unique breath and movement. Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort, as Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters respectively, portrayed the character with such ease that they were made for this role. It was a great adaptation.
  71. Oct 3, 2014
  72. Mar 30, 2015
    The Fault in Our Stars es una película que resulta atractiva y elegante con una historia en donde los enfoques principales son el amor, el cáncer y un escritor.

Esta película resulta como un drama inteligente que sin dudas atrapará a mucha gente con una historia que, a pesar de que en todos sus aspectos no sucumbe hacia la tristeza debido a que se va hacia otros sentimientos., puede llegar a conmover. Además, Shailene Woodley nos entrega un papel bien logrado de la protagonista Hazel Grace, aunque eso no quiere decir que las demás no fueron resaltantes o algo resaltantes., dejando que, por lo tanto, este largometraje lleva a un viaje de emociones ya sea en estado sarcástico, sentimental o romántico, siendo un drama de adolescente bastante formidable.
  73. Jun 11, 2014
    Shaylene Woodley has really come into her own. She's a powerhouse and she and Jennifer Lawrence will be battling for the best roles for young actresses of the next 10 years or so I would predict. I think the moviemakers handled a very tough subject with maturity and class. What I see it twice? Maybe but it's absolutely worth seeing once.
  74. chw
    Oct 4, 2014
    The Fault in our Stars was okay. It was somewhat different than the book, only because it is made from a different company than the movies mentioned in the book.
  75. Aug 23, 2014
    No, I didn't read the book. I don't like reading too much. But this refreshingly love story is one of the most beautiful things I ever seen in 2014. It's wise, funny (occasionally) and well handed by a good performance from Shailene Woodley. The script also tries to avoid clichés and partly succeeds at it. The movie sometimes veers into schmaltzy territory but it's crafted with pureNo, I didn't read the book. I don't like reading too much. But this refreshingly love story is one of the most beautiful things I ever seen in 2014. It's wise, funny (occasionally) and well handed by a good performance from Shailene Woodley. The script also tries to avoid clichés and partly succeeds at it. The movie sometimes veers into schmaltzy territory but it's crafted with pure sensitivity that is tough to resist. Expand
  76. Aug 31, 2014
    “The Fault in Our Stars” is the love story of Hazel and Augustus, two teenagers with terminal cancer who meet in a support group. It is based on a book by the same title written by John Green.

Hazel, played by Shailene Woodley, and Augustus, played by Ansel Elgort have two completely different characters. Hazel is very pessimistic, depressed, asocial, and melancholic. Augustus is optimistic, cheerful, convivial, and funny. As their love story progresses their characters change. Hazel starts to see bright sides of the world and Augustus gives up his super ambitious dreams and becomes more realistic.

Not every director is brave enough to step into the territory of showing the daily life of terminally ill people but this territory is also easily manipulative. Josh Boone should be praised for his courage for directing “The Fault in Our Stars” and puts many engaging moments and a good takeaway message in the movie but it does not mean his work has no shortcomings.

The main problem with the movie is the poor script adaptation. The movie relies less on the visual presentations and more on Hazel's monologues to narrate the story. Instead of seeing events in the movie, we mostly hear them (or we see them and then unnecessarily hear them). A better script adaptation could have transformed more of the oral narrations into more engaging visual narrations. Moreover, cliché sentences like “I love you” and “You are beautiful” appear in the movie over and over without adding anything new to the story. The ultimate message of the movie is excessively highlighted with excessive dialogues and performances.

The second problem with this movie is far-from-perfect performances. The supporting actors and actresses in the movie pull out good performances but the leading actor and actress are not convincing. The Augustus' ever-present smile and his never-disturbed coolness feels unreal and sometimes annoying. Still, it seems the script is to blame here. Performances are not the only part of the movie that feel fake and unreal. The whole story about Hazel and Augustus's last wish and how they consummate their love is so fake that I couldn't help but to keep closing my eyes through it.
  77. Jun 21, 2014
    Well i was kinda more expecting for this movie but unfortunately has some negative things but the movie is not terrible is just average well here i explain why. This movie doesn't feel any emotional for any of the characters as well but one of the good things of this movie is the fact that the relationship here works but i didn't care of any of the characters . The story is cliche andWell i was kinda more expecting for this movie but unfortunately has some negative things but the movie is not terrible is just average well here i explain why. This movie doesn't feel any emotional for any of the characters as well but one of the good things of this movie is the fact that the relationship here works but i didn't care of any of the characters . The story is cliche and the ending as well the girl who loves the guy dies as always which is completely annoying so the movie is not sad at all they told me that the movie is extremely sensitive but that ain't affect me not even a bit but sorry for the fans but my score is average Expand
  78. Jun 26, 2014
    The movie is awesome. Ansel Elgort give to the movie the humor, and hide the sadness. Shailene is very pretty and make the fil awesome. I can't forget the sountrack that is awesome too, with Charlie XCX and Ed Sheeran. It's an awesome movie.
  79. Jul 6, 2014
    The Fault in Our Stars is a honest adaption from the book. The movie shines from two young actors who brought performances very few young people have. It’s a heart-wrenching story with an ending that will leave your breathless for a long time, but with a warm heart and a love story from two young people that will make you say wow. And although I myself didn’t shed a tear (I know, realThe Fault in Our Stars is a honest adaption from the book. The movie shines from two young actors who brought performances very few young people have. It’s a heart-wrenching story with an ending that will leave your breathless for a long time, but with a warm heart and a love story from two young people that will make you say wow. And although I myself didn’t shed a tear (I know, real cold-hearted), just expect the water-works to flow as you embark on Hazel and Gus’ journey together. Expand
  80. Jul 28, 2014
    The movie is hilarious, beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time. The casting is great, the acting is great, and it feels real. However, i feel it failed to live up to the pure magic of John Green's original masterpiece. With this in mind, The Fault In Our Stars is still an excellent movie, and is a must - see for everyone.
  81. Jul 23, 2014
    Definitely the most touching and emotion film I've seen in years. The acting was great and I became really attached to the characters. The emotion in this film is outstanding.
  82. Jul 20, 2014
    The Fault In Our Stars is beautiful, the best films of the year and that have been made in recent years, emotionally wrenching, but full of life, Shailene Woodley has to be nominated for Oscar 2015, Ansel Elgort shows that it is more Augustus Waters the same Augustus Waters, IS THE PERFECT mOVIE tHAT ALL HAVE TO SEE!
  83. Aug 1, 2014
    This is a weepy, chick flick, no doubt about that. But it was not overly manipulative, and the story moves as well as the acting by the male lead. I was surprisingly entertained, and curious about the book.
  84. Aug 5, 2014
    Shailene Woodley states her place as one of the best young actresses of our time. She deserves all the glory she can get. She was stunning here in this unforgettable romantic experience where the whole cast shines as well. I give this film 96% of a good movie
  85. Mar 7, 2015
    Summary: The Fault in Our Stars compensates for its flaws with Shailene Woodley's performance and tear-jerking moments. 63/100 [C+]

The Fault in Our Stars is a pretty passable and forgettable film. That's why I give it a 6/10. It's far from being a bad film, but it wasn't very special either. I read the amazing book few days before watching the film, and I have to say that the book was breathtaking and deeply emotional. It is filled with lots of funny moments and also, painfully sad moments. The last chapters made me feel so many emotions at once. Then appears this mediocre and sometimes heartless adaptation. It was so disappointing because it does not reach that emotional impact from the book. The movie feels so rushed (even with its 126 minutes of running time).

It was so straight to the point, there was not enough character development. My major issue with this film is that each scene feels so mediocre and emotionally empty. Also, when it tries to be funny ends up being awkwardly humorless. Another problem is the lazy screenplay, the writer changed a huge part of the original script and some of the scenes were so badly scripted and awfully directed. I mean, the actions and the way that this talented actors interacted between each other in dramatic scenes were not similar to the book at all. What a shame because the book took more risks. It was braver.

Another problem is that there were not enough characters. A lot of important characters from the book were not in the film. Come on, the director had enough running time to put them in, but he didn't. Also, I didn't feel that connection between Hazel, Gus, and that book called "An Imperial Affliction". You don't know anything about this book that they love, they just barely talked about it throughout the film and there were not enough conversations about this beloved book in the film. But I'm happy that there were some decent moments here. All the scenes in Amsterdam were beautifully shot and very similar to the book in all the right ways. It was definitely the best part of the movie.

All those moments in Amsterdam were very enjoyable and beautiful because there was a lot of chemistry between these two main characters. Shailene Woodley was terrific, she was born to play this role. It's sad that this director went for the easy way and didn't put lots of important and crucial moments from the book in the film. The DVD version has some extra minutes, but it's just not enough. Overall, The Fault in Our Stars is a mediocre and empty film compared to the book, but it definitely has its moments and the performances were terrific. Sorry if I mentioned the word "book" so many times in this review, but I can't stop comparing them. [C+]
  86. Mar 23, 2015
    While I'm slightly confused on the "Feel Good movie of the year" tagline, The Fault in Our Stars is an excellent romance movie and a movie in general. One of my favorites of the year and Shailene Woodley giving one of the best performances of the year.
  87. Jan 13, 2015
    Its a sad movie but great and really good with humour, joke and more thing sadness, really good i hope more persons will say like me. Someone like you it's dare and it could be use in this film!
  88. May 19, 2015
    I watched this and all I gotta say is that is pretty enjoyable. Although the depressing parts like when they're facing their sickness in the hospitals is what makes it worse. Not the bad worse but the sad worse. In the end The Fault In Our stars is sure one of the most enjoyable romantic films that I have seen in a long time.
  89. Apr 8, 2015
    The fault in our stars is a movie directed by Josh Boone, released in June 2014.
    I find that this movie is very moving because it gives us a beautiful lesson of life with an amazing music selected to touch more the audience.

Quite frankly, I'm not espacially fan of romantic stories but I encourage you to see this movie particulary touching, firstly because it's inspired from a true story and secondly the main characters ( Ansel Elgort is Augustus Water and Shailene Woodly is Hazel Grace Lancaster ) are played by young actors. Moreover, Hazel's disease reveals a very captivating strong nature.

If you liked « The fault in our stars » you can find these two actors in « Divergente », a totally different movie but equally catchy.
  90. Mar 31, 2015
    This movie truly moved me. I'm honestly stating that it's mode deffinaetly one of the best movies I've ever seen, to the extent where I've watched it 3 times in the last 3 weeks and it never seems to bore me.
  91. Apr 25, 2015
    definitivamente eu não gostei. é um lixo comparado ao hinário as vantagens de ser invisível, por isso não merece uma nota boa, e sim um grande zero, enfim...

1. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Jun 17, 2014
    Woodley and Dern breathe a ghost into the machine. Willem Dafoe has fun, albeit not too much, in a brief, vital role as a creepy writer. Most crucially, the words that survived from Green’s novel did so for a reason.
  2. Reviewed by: Anna Smith
    Jun 16, 2014
    Despite a few missteps this is a spirited, touching romance and Shailene Woodley’s best performance yet. Divergent fans after a weepie need look no further.
  3. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Jun 10, 2014
    Though supported by Woodley’s subtle narration, The Fault in Our Stars is relentlessly outward. That’s part of the book’s inspiring touch, and even if some of the supporting cast comes off as merely functional onscreen, the core of the tragedy comes to life in a heartbreaking way.