Paramount Pictures | Release Date: December 10, 2010
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 426 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
CanoticNov 8, 2012
The Fighter is a great movie, no doubt about that. The only minor problem was the performance of Walhberg, he could have made his character more eager. Mick's desire to make his own life better and to earn the championship needs to beThe Fighter is a great movie, no doubt about that. The only minor problem was the performance of Walhberg, he could have made his character more eager. Mick's desire to make his own life better and to earn the championship needs to be developed more form Walhberg. However, Walhberg's act as a modest person is legitimate. Expand
YoursTrulyJan 11, 2013
This is not just another underdog boxing story. It's more so about the dynamics of family, more specifically, a chaotic and at times detestable family. And it is incredibly real. There is no fluff here. Just all of the love, frustration andThis is not just another underdog boxing story. It's more so about the dynamics of family, more specifically, a chaotic and at times detestable family. And it is incredibly real. There is no fluff here. Just all of the love, frustration and difficulty that comes with life's web of human relationships when things don't always go your way. It's entertaining and the characters are so much fun to watch. Great acting from everyone, especially Christian Bale who gave just about as convincing a portrayal of an individual as I've ever seen in film. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Guided by some unwaveringly perfect performances, "The Fighter" is a dignified example of what sports dramas should be - humble, honest, and exhilarating.
worleyjamersDec 8, 2012
The Fighter was the one movie that I knew I had to see in 2010. My two favorite actors are Amy Adams and Christian Bale, so I knew I had to see this film to see them together. As the release date came closer, and as more and more Oscar buzzThe Fighter was the one movie that I knew I had to see in 2010. My two favorite actors are Amy Adams and Christian Bale, so I knew I had to see this film to see them together. As the release date came closer, and as more and more Oscar buzz flowed, I knew this was going to be a great one. It is. This film is easily among the 5 best films of the year, if not the best.

The best part of this film is the acting. Unbelievable! The three main supporting cast members give some of the best performances I have ever seen. They have to go down as one strongest supporting casts ever. I believe Christian Bale will finally receive his long overdue Oscar. His performance is simply incredible. He completely takes ownership of the role and simply disappears entirely into the character. His character changes so much throughout the film and no better actor could have delivered as affectively. I also loved Melissa Leo's performance. Absolutely stunning! She is so real and believable as the tough mother. Her performance is truly remarkable. I believe Melissa Leo will win the Oscar for best supporting actress, but it was Amy Adams that completely made this film for me. Her performance is phenomenal! She completely steals every scene. She flawlessly portrays the quiet but tough Charlene. This film shows Amy Adams at her best. She, too, will receive an Oscar nomination, hopefully the win. Also, her performance really allows Mark Wahlberg to shine as well. He gives a good performance, but the entire film is dominated by stellar supporting actors.

A thing that surprised me was the screenplay. The script is simply fantastic. It is so real, strong, and genuinely portrays what the people of the area and time would have been like. The script also has many humorous moments that were surprising, but absolutely perfect. The Fighter is so much more than a typical sports or boxing film. It focuses more on relationships, family, and conflicts as opposed to the boxing. I have to mention the final fight scene.....brilliant. The perfect ending to a great movie. After being blessed with the first 90 minutes of the film, we are treated by an awesome final boxing scene. Loved it! Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay, this is a brilliant film. Far better than Rocky and Raging Bull will ever be. This deserved every amount of praise it received. Props to Mark Wahlberg for pushing to create this film!

Absolutely loved it. One of my favorites!
ThegodfathersonFeb 16, 2013
Set aside the gore and violence for a second... and think can you make a great 130 min sports drama without Sylvester Stallone The Fighter.... What an amazing movie. Everything was good about this film. It was a good kick ass sport drama.Set aside the gore and violence for a second... and think can you make a great 130 min sports drama without Sylvester Stallone The Fighter.... What an amazing movie. Everything was good about this film. It was a good kick ass sport drama. The critics are right about this film guys must WATCH. Well 9/10 is my review Expand
ExKingApr 4, 2013
this movie has all the elements of being awesome great story great script great direction and until this movie came out i didn't believe that Christian Bale can actually act at all cause i'm used to see him in suite as MR.Wayne in Batmanthis movie has all the elements of being awesome great story great script great direction and until this movie came out i didn't believe that Christian Bale can actually act at all cause i'm used to see him in suite as MR.Wayne in Batman series and i didn't recognize him at the first sight i think he deserved that Oscar so much it should have coming flying to him also great performance by Mark Wahlberg and i loved every minute of the movie this is one of the perfect movies that based on true-story. Expand
BrianMcCriticJul 8, 2013
An outstanding film by David O'Russell only surpassed by 2012's Silver Linings Playbook. The performances by Amy Adams, Mark Wahlberg, and expecially Christian Bale.
ScorpionOct 12, 2013
O diretor David O.russell sem duvida um dos melhores da época atual, pois ele sempre segue a mesma fórmula em seus filmes, um tema complicado com um alto teor dramático com cenas tocantes, mas com vários alívios cômicos bem dosados queO diretor David O.russell sem duvida um dos melhores da época atual, pois ele sempre segue a mesma fórmula em seus filmes, um tema complicado com um alto teor dramático com cenas tocantes, mas com vários alívios cômicos bem dosados que tiram um pouco do peso da trama e que deixam o filme mais divertido e melhor de se ver, o diretor tambem expressa muito bom gosto para aparte técnica a qual esta muito bem feita ,especeialmente na parte de imagem que reproduz muito bem as cenas de lutas oficiais transmitidas pela TV, e a parte de som especialmente a trilha sonora que conta com grandes musicas boas de rock.
But the best of the film are the performances, Mark Wahlberg is very well his character and his dilemma, choosing between his girlfriend and his family, Amy Adans also works well in a decontrída but very serious, Melissa Leo is superb as it can translate shining bright so the sorrows and joys of a matriarch, but who steals Cristian Bale is he so good here that even remotely resembles the Batman, their ways of looking and acting are extremely pitiful, his victory was the oscar more than deserved.
Putting it all gets a more than satisfactory result, a heartwarming story and companionship family the best style Rock Balboa.
ydnar4Nov 26, 2014
The Fighter is the only David O. Russell film that I've enjoyed. I never cared for Silver Linings Playbook or American Hustle. This film obviously involves sports but there is just so much more conflict than that going. Boxing can be theThe Fighter is the only David O. Russell film that I've enjoyed. I never cared for Silver Linings Playbook or American Hustle. This film obviously involves sports but there is just so much more conflict than that going. Boxing can be the least of problems at a lot of points in the movie. I watched this movie without any knowledge of the characters so I had no idea how it was supposed to end and it kept me guessing from the start. This film gains more depth as it goes along and it only gets better as it progresses. Mark Wahlberg is great as he consistently is and Amy Adams was impressive as well but Christian Bale just steals the show for me. This is probably the best role I've seen him play. Nice to see him get the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for this movie. Its well deserved. Expand
SmileATTFeb 13, 2015
This true story about light welterweight boxer and Micky Ward makes for less of a sports movie than a domestic drama about blue-collar brothers struggling to stay a family while the forces of drug addiction and parental ambition tear themThis true story about light welterweight boxer and Micky Ward makes for less of a sports movie than a domestic drama about blue-collar brothers struggling to stay a family while the forces of drug addiction and parental ambition tear them apart.But there is something a little too cartoonish about Micky's completely impossible family and also something a little too short-sighted in a protagonist who can't see the obvious — that his family, and not other fighters, is what stands in his way as a boxer.Until he catch a girlfriend Charlene played by Amy Adam.She is the only one who pushes him to stand up to his family.And it soon is clear enough that Charlene is the only character in the film who is not delusional and with her eyes like blue steel and swarm of red hair it's very easy to like it.It's not clear in the movie why Micky never spots any of this dysfunction.He wants to live up to an image Dickie put in his mind when he was a kid, an impression so strong that he doesn't realize that it disintegrated long ago.The movie greats very good drama and very good atmosphere but i kind of didn't like so much the boxing matches and the end The boxing sequences get bunched toward the end. The Director deliberately shoots them in brightly lit video that makes it look like you're watching television. He has broadcasters and ringsiders comment on the fights, but seldom takes you close enough to hear what Dickie might be saying to Micky. You're outside the ring, not inside. So like much of this film, the viewer is turned into an observer. You never feel close enough to the action, either in the ring or in the kitchens, living rooms and tough streets where the story takes place. The characters engage you up to a point but never really pull you in. Expand
hanneguacamoleJun 9, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know anything about boxing. Honestly it looks kind of disgusting. But this focused more on the relationships that got Micky to where he was (presumably he was a great because otherwise he wouldn't have a movie made about him) and his struggles as well. We have his trainer, Dicky, who really does a **** job at being there for him. He's way too busy being a crack addict. So Dicky goes to jail and we're left with Dicky on his way to actually making something out of himself.

While Dicky is in prison he goes through withdrawal which I think is one of the more emotional parts of the film, and then there's an HBO documentary being filmed on him. It focuses on everything negative & he's really brought shame to Lowell. So it's up do Micky to right all his brother's wrongs. And that's exactly what he does. He uses all of his brother's fighting strategies and the support of Charlene and his mother and he's able to win that title fight against all this adversity from within his family. It's a story about family, not about boxing. Yet it managed to leave me with no feelings about it. It was rather bland. Almost like a saltine cracker.