8.3

1. Dec 17, 2010
    Gene Hackman as the dumpy tough cop.. superb!! Must see movie with a gritty feel you can almost imagine being there. So rare to find a Hollywood movie that is actually believable... this one is!!!!!!!
  2. Jun 6, 2011
    I watched this movie for the first time today. At first, I hesitated before picking up the DVD because I worried that it would go really slowly and become one of those movies that only gets interesting during the last 35-40 minutes. But I was wrong. In this movie, I saw the seedier sides of New York, drug dealing and a truckload of amazing acting all rolled into one hell of an entertaining crime movie. It may not be an all out gunfights, car chases and one liner action epic, but If you like your crime on the realistic side, SEE THIS MOVIE. Expand
  3. Apr 1, 2011
    The first true New York movie. Gritty, realistic camera work. Plus, Hackman and Scheider are awesome. Everyone says that "A Clockwork Orange" deserved the Oscar, but just because it's Kubrick doesn't make it so. A 4-star classic!
  4. Feb 26, 2012
    Frankly, this is one of the truly great American films of all time. Hackman is riveting, and the chase scenes are as good as their reputation. Awesome.
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    Although the ending is a bit of a downer, "The French Connection" still ends up as a richly entertaining detective drama; featuring one of the greatest Gene Hackman performances on film.
  6. Jul 1, 2014
    I stated that "The French Connection" is one the best cop films besides "Dirty Harry." It shows that the experience of the true story of the cops who is hurting the streets of Brooklyn. The movie has it chills and suspence with the car chase.

1. Reviewed by: Roger Greenspun
    The French Connection is a film of almost incredible suspense, and it includes, among a great many chilling delights, the most brilliantly executed chase sequence I have ever seen. [8 October 1971]
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    This tough, brilliant crime film features Hackman as the indefatigable Popeye Doyle, who passionately hates drug pushers.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Producer and screenwriter have added enough fictional flesh to provide director William Friedkin and his overall topnotch cast with plenty of material, and they make the most of it.