8.1

1. Jul 1, 2014
    I stated that "The French Connection" is one the best cop films besides "Dirty Harry." It shows that the experience of the true story of the cops who is hurting the streets of Brooklyn. The movie has it chills and suspence with the car chase.
  2. Mar 23, 2014
    Everything in "The French Connection" is remarkably well crafted, I'll give credit to that, but there is just nothing in it to hold onto. I would rate this movie a lot higher if it would have had something memorable in it, something that hadn't been already done. Something that would have separated it from all the other action-thrillers.
  3. Sep 29, 2013
    A bit overrated, this movie drags on and it feels like there is nothing here but men chasing each other through the streets. The only reason I give this movie a 6 is because Gene Hackman plays the character well, and the famous train scene is actually pretty decent.
  4. May 24, 2013
    It is hard not appreciate how remarkable this film would have been back in 1971. In fact, even today the chase feels very intense and suspenseful and is impeccably edited and brilliantly executed.
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    Although the ending is a bit of a downer, "The French Connection" still ends up as a richly entertaining detective drama; featuring one of the greatest Gene Hackman performances on film.
  6. Feb 26, 2012
    Frankly, this is one of the truly great American films of all time. Hackman is riveting, and the chase scenes are as good as their reputation. Awesome.
  7. Jun 6, 2011
    I watched this movie for the first time today. At first, I hesitated before picking up the DVD because I worried that it would go really slowly and become one of those movies that only gets interesting during the last 35-40 minutes. But I was wrong. In this movie, I saw the seedier sides of New York, drug dealing and a truckload of amazing acting all rolled into one hell of an entertaining crime movie. It may not be an all out gunfights, car chases and one liner action epic, but If you like your crime on the realistic side, SEE THIS MOVIE. Expand
  8. Apr 1, 2011
    The first true New York movie. Gritty, realistic camera work. Plus, Hackman and Scheider are awesome. Everyone says that "A Clockwork Orange" deserved the Oscar, but just because it's Kubrick doesn't make it so. A 4-star classic!
  9. Dec 17, 2010
    Gene Hackman as the dumpy tough cop.. superb!! Must see movie with a gritty feel you can almost imagine being there. So rare to find a Hollywood movie that is actually believable... this one is!!!!!!!
  10. Oct 22, 2010
    I can't understand the reputation this movie has. It has an extremely misleading title, and gives you a very negative impression of the country. It's not my experience of France at all. It was such a lovely place when I spent my honeymoon there. I didn't see any drugs the whole time I was there.

1. Reviewed by: Roger Greenspun
    The French Connection is a film of almost incredible suspense, and it includes, among a great many chilling delights, the most brilliantly executed chase sequence I have ever seen. [8 October 1971]
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    This tough, brilliant crime film features Hackman as the indefatigable Popeye Doyle, who passionately hates drug pushers.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    Producer and screenwriter have added enough fictional flesh to provide director William Friedkin and his overall topnotch cast with plenty of material, and they make the most of it.