8.2

1. Sep 10, 2014
    The Game is a clever mind-bending thriller with Michael Douglas's best performance.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  2. Sep 10, 2014
    The game is a jigsaw puzzle of a thriller that pays off fully by the end of the movie.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  3. Jul 9, 2014
    The Game is a smart psychological thriller. Michael Douglas plays Nicholas and he receives an unusual
    birthday present from his brother Conrad. Shortly after he sees him odd events start happening to him.
    He doesn't know why the events are happening but apparently it's part of the game. To uncover the
    object of the game defeats it's purpose. Overall a tightly wound thriller from the
    director of Fight Club,
    David Fincher.
  4. Jip
    Jun 23, 2014
    The Game is making an attempt to confuse the audience and it invited the viewer to consider whether the main character is actually part of a crazy game (which he has payed for) or whether he is being deceived. The movie is at first challenging (which is awesome) and throughout it you will ask yourself whether he is still participating in the game or in something else. It sounds like a great movie indeed!

However, the Game is a relatively mediocre movie for one main reason! It doesn't make any sense and it is therefore far from logical. The story is full of gaps and holes...It is true that a movie doesn't have to be logical and make perfectly sense, but the Game is trying soooo hard to be a 'smart' movie. At first it appears that it is...That is until you realise that the Game isn't even making an attempt to explain and bind together the strings of the plot. If the game had allocated 6-10 minuted in the end for this purpose, it could have been a real brainteaser and earned itself at least 7.5.

Overall it is a decent movie but it is NOT the smart/well thought out movie it is trying to be, this is due to the above-mentioned!
  5. Feb 26, 2014
    Unfortunately, i accidentally saw the ending before the movie. This will probably result in an unfair review, but it's inevitable.

It's not among David Fincher's best work, but still pretty great in its own right. The story may not be very original, but its execution is very good. The performances are very competent and effective.

if you're a fan of David Fincher, or of mystery &
    suspense movies in general, watch it. Expand
  6. Feb 11, 2014
    In a dark, dangerous San Francisco lives Nicholas Van Orten (Michael Douglas), a very rich businessman and a total loner. He doesn’t come across as pathetic, but as rather as stern and cold, and blatantly unhappy despite the lap of luxury in which he lives. Sensing Nicholas’ unhappiness, Nicholas’ wild and über ostentatious brother Conrad (Sean Penn) appears and presents Nicholas a birthday gift, a gift that is sure to add some excitement to Nicholas life, and lift him out of the depressive fog that he carries around everywhere.

Along the way we learn some little bits of information about Nicholas’ life, but not much, which is nice because his past doesn’t really seem to matter anyway. Fincher takes the character and forces him to deal strictly with the present time. All past regrets, misdeeds, and sins fall away when you are literally fighting for your life.

Conrad’s gift is a game. A set of real life, role-playing scenarios designed and executed by a company alleged called CRS. We don’t know what CRS is, and neither does Nicholas, so when bizarre happenings start to occur, such as the nightly news anchor breaking character and speaking directly to Nicholas in his living room, Nicholas cannot tell what is really happening. Is this part of the game? Or am I hallucinating?

Soon the puppet masters at CRS crank up the intensity of the events. There are numerous attempts on Nicholas’ life. At one point he wakes up in Mexico after having been buried alive in an underground tomb. The occurrences are so extreme, that as an audience, we are just as confused as Nicholas. It is real? Or is it a game? It is impossible to tell, and this is what makes this film so much fun to watch.

The world that CRS tailors to its clients is very cool and well put together. Even though Nicholas is told distinctly that the CRS game will begin, and it is not until after he is told this that strange and dangerous things start to happen, we are still unsure if it’s game or reality. Fincher is essentially blurring our understanding of the common philosophical conventions of cause and effect.

The Game is a good thriller, and an entertaining watch. The production value of the film is excellent. It projects on screen in dark, shadowy tones, mixed with diverse textures setting one scene to next to a another composed completely different. The film is full of interesting settings from Nicholas’ mansion, to a Mexican border town, to meetings in coffee shops, to cabins in the woods, but despite the actual events taking place being very entertaining to watch, the film never really establishes what truth it is trying to convey. The ending is disappointing. We are not left with any kind of substantial meaning.

The CRS experience is meant to be a massive, over-the-top shock to the nervous system. This shock forces one, Nicholas in this case, to decide whether he wants to fight to stay alive, or let go and die. Maybe we are supposed to take the hint and choose to live now, even though we don’t have CRS to break us out of our depression and lethargy, as individuals, or as a whole society. But this might be pushing the limits of interpretation. Despite the absence of the deeper themes, such as investigating the pointlessness of existence as in Fight Club, or the proving the worthlessness of humanity as in Seven, The Game is still great watch. Once the film ends, it doesn’t linger for days in the front of your mind like the best thrillers, but while your watching it you’ll be on the edge of your seat, never knowing what it going to happen next.
  7. Jan 29, 2014
    The game is the first movie that i watched and didn't know what to think of it, i honestly don't have any idea whether to feel bad,angry or missleaded so you won't find a conclusion here but basically it goes like this:
    this review is a giant spoiler, so don't read it if you haven't watched the movie yet, thank you, goodbye.
    the title of the movie is a giant spoiler so you shouldn't take
    the movie seriously but somehow David Fincher was able to force you to believe that the events is real and that's talent ladies and gentlemen whether you like it or not but think about it this way,
    if the movie was a game then thinking about it will raise alot questions, flaws and plot mistakes,
    for example, if all the pullets that been used in the movie are fake then how can you explain the damages that the pullets makes, rubber pullets is a good answer, but the handgun that been used by Michael Douglas that he took from the private detective was able to flat a tire and that's no rubber pullets.
    also they locked him up with taxi cap and throw him in the sea, what if he couldn't swim or didn't remember that he had the handle to open the car window, he'd be dead.
    and they drugged him and put him inside a coffin in Mexico city, what if he was robbed and killed in his way to the united states ? they wouldn't be able to do anything about it,
    and last what if he jumped 5 feet to the right, he would be dead, because it's totally stupid that he jumped right into that mark.
    and i can go on and on and on about it, but you get my point, it's a movie that have more plot mistakes than The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel combined.
    but my average rating goes for three reasons, the movie isn't boring at all, it actually interesting and keep you guessing and intense the entire time,
    and two David Fincher force you to believe that it's real even though he spoiled it earlier,
    and three because i want to recommend to everyone, but don't over think about it like i did, because i have no life, just kidding, enjoy it.
  8. Dec 15, 2013
    I gave this movie a 9 instead of a 10 because once you see it you can't get that same experience ever again, but that first experience is so good. This film is the epitome of "edge of your seat" viewing. You'll be guessing until the moment you see the credits!
  9. Sep 25, 2013
    Michael Douglas delivers a superb performance in what ends up being a great thriller with all kinds of twists and turns. It's crafty, it's dark, it's genius. It's Ocean's Eleven without Vegas lights and all the smiles whose ace in the hole ends up being a lesson in how those who grow up with entitlement often have little or no idea of reality for a majority of people around the world and what happens when that reality is forced sharply onto one of those privileged few. Expand
  10. Jun 30, 2013
    This is just...what. Talk about a crazy movie that really, truly makes you think. Michael Douglas was awesome in the lead role and Fincher dominated as director. The ending was a little strange and felt unfitting for the rest of the movie, but all in all, a very good film that really has you on the edge of your seat.
  11. Jun 8, 2013
    Don't just watch it. Think about it. Wonder about everything. Is that really happening? Or is it the game? It really keeps you EXTREMELY curious. It won't disappoint you, I promise.
  12. May 14, 2013
    Having read the book first I was hopeful for this movie. Michael Douglas seemed a good selection for the main role and I thought his performance was solid. The book unfortunately did not seem to cross over to the film enough. that is not to say that key bits were missed or the film was not true to the text. It was just that I did not feel that the film fleshed out the book enough. Some of the key moments where people are brought into the story seemed to be better paced in the book and a bit rushed in the film.
    The plot of the book is an intriguiging one and it is kept whole by the film. Douglas plays a rich business man, very self obsessed and not really caring for anyone around him. His kind of unstable/wacky/do anything once brother gives him a random birthday present. A Game... I won't explain too much incase I spoil the film but its an interesting tale.
    The film just did not add any real tension for me. I can't put my finger on why. I think it was maybe a character portrayal thing or the pacing of the film. In the book I genuinely felt for the character and the way the Game affected those involved. You may say knowing the plot may spoil it but sometimes knowing what is coming can Add tension and it just felt flat.
    I would say its worth a watch but I would not say to seek it out.
  13. Apr 14, 2013
    The Game is a fun movie from David Fincher. It's not particularly revelatory or masterful, but it does have the requisite thrills and spills for an entertaining night's viewing.
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    The Game is a smart, thrilling, and completely underrated movie that should be more renown than it is. The very thought through "game" is creepy and unexpecting with thrills and near death experiences at almost every corner. The acting is amazing; this is one of Michael Douglas's best roles ever. Despite it not being very popular, The Game will blow your mind and have you thinking differently about life. Expand
  15. Feb 8, 2013
    Taking their shot at the classic "man-on-the-run" psychological thriller, David Fincher succeeds beautifully in leading the audience through an endless series of twists and turns, and Michael Douglas's his most inspired filmic performance since "Wall Street."
  16. Jan 13, 2012
    A wonderful break from the norm. The Game takes the viewer through a world where nothing is certain, and executes it quite well. Whether if it's the action, the thrill, the mystery, or even the drama, The Game is guaranteed to give you a good experience. The idea behind this movie was well-thought and portrayed expertly, along with superb acting. However I still wish that this whole movie had much more meaning, it seems absent from the previous thought put into it in the end. But nonetheless, The Game, in my opinion, is a must-see. And do not let the critics tell you otherwise. Expand
  17. Mar 1, 2011
    The game is a movie for people that like to keep thinking. Fincher manages to make the audience paranoid to what and who are actually a part of this crazy "game". It manages to tap into the same fiction that made Total Recall a success while replacing the sci-fi parts with real world craziness, as well as some of the most subtle character development I've seen in a long time. However, it is impossible to reveal any specifics without spoiling some part of story, which would be a shame to any first time viewer.

If you enjoyed movies like Total Recall, Inception, The Matrix, or even Truman Show, give this movie a shot. The Game will stick with you for a while for all of the right reasons.
  18. Aug 11, 2010
    We all enjoy playing games whether they are board games, computer games, video games, crossword puzzles, chess, Chinese checkers one-way or another we all enjoy a good game. However, enjoyment is not enough for us we need to challenge ourselves further, step up the game so to speak, so we push our limits to try new games we know nothing about and try to master them. Each time we play, we get better and better until soon enough no one can beat us. So what do you do when you stop playing the game and the game starts playing you? David Fincher's "The Game" is a brilliant and ingenious mind teaser that takes peoples love for gaming to a completely new and terrifying level. So when you are playing a game ask yourself one very important. Are you playing it or is it playing you? David Fincher is a master at toying with peoples minds at creating a complex and dark story weaved around the deep confines of the human mind, Fincher does not wimp out on you, he does not hold anything back he does not give into mainstream Hollywood. No, Fincher creates stories that are so dark an depraved that only a fan of David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick or Tim Burton even could stand the full frontal brutality of Lynch's determination, hey maybe even some mainstream audiences members could handle his films I've meet a few who can. David Fincher's second homage to the noir genre "The Game" is not one of his most focused efforts or even one of his best but what it is is one of the biggest mind games you will ever be apart of. I liked the clammy, macabre feel of this film I liked how it bathed in bleached out colors or complete and utter darkness to bring out the full effect of the films story. It is a good film, no a great film with a fantastic story that works, and a premise that is more believable than preposterous. "The Game" is a masterful film, a brilliant example of feverish essence in dark filmmaking, what undoes all the excellent work in this film is an ending so fluffy it makes you feel extremely cheated; it completely unravels all the extreme tension set up by the first two acts. It insults you that you spent 1hr.55 min and then the ending does not live up to the films story or even talent in it. I will say this in its favor it did do an excellent job of keeping me involved and intrigued and this film was saved from its terrible ending by first-rate performances, eerie atmosphere and sharp direction from David Fincher. "The Game" is enjoyable and menacing ride that may run out of steam it does not let you down form the beginning until the end. Michael Douglas is a fantastic actor he has given some of the greatest performances I have ever seen his most well know is as Gordon Gekko (His Oscar winning role.) In Oliver Stone's "Wall Streetâ Expand

In The Game, Fincher pulls back from the total gross-out but sustains a tone of aggravated anxiety. Hitchcock could have done this material and still made its perversities pleasurable.
  2. An intensely exciting puzzle-gimmick thriller, the kind of movie that lets you know from the start that it's slyly aware of its own absurdity.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    This is not a movie that can bear much postgame scrutiny. The minute you begin to question one element of the plot, gaping holes of logic appear throughout.