6.2

1. Nov 25, 2014
    Although disturbing, the viewer does NOT make any sense out of it. It is pointless, with a vulnerable screenplay, performances and direction. The Girl Next Door is does disappoint, with no, what's so ever, explanation behind what was going on.
  2. Oct 19, 2014
    vile and disgusting film that never should have been made. If you like this film then there is something very wrong with you.It isn't scary or cool or interesting. It's a true story about something very very horrible that happened to an innocent young girl. There is absolutely no reason for this film to have been made. I'm pretty sure that watching something like this could cause permanent emotional damage to someone. And just so you know I like shock horror films. The more disgusting and disturbing the better. I try to find films that are as horrible as possible, but this film crosses the line. This isn't a horror film, this is a realistic snuff film that could only appeal to people that enjoy the pain and suffering of others. Normally I would read a review like this and watch the film right away, but I am warning you that you will not enjoy this film and you will regret ever seeing it. Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2014
    Two main flaws make the film way less shocking (and good) than the book: the way the movie was directed, in which the director didn't mind excluding essential parts of the book in order to get to the good stuff (the girl's torture),which made it all the harder to enjoy. And the child actors who were HORRIBLY unconvincing (except for the two sisters). The highlight to the film though, is Blanche Baker who was the most interesting character of the film. Expand
  4. Jun 17, 2014
    The main problem in film seems to be ridiculous because it's so easy to solve at the beginning of film. /

5. Nov 4, 2013
    "The Girl Next Door" was a horrifying movie to watch. The sadistic torture of a girl was truly just disturbing. But there's nothing quite interesting about the film other than what kind of torture they can do to the girl. There's not much reason to watch this movie and I won't recommend you to do so.
  6. Jul 6, 2013
    The transition from harsh abuse to sheer sadism and an exploitative exhibition of abuse with limited "entertainment" value. There is little to recommend the film, those with a morbid curiosity may wish to take a look as part of a self-endurance test. Prizes on the way out.
  7. Jun 3, 2013
    A well-meaning movie with a message that got lost somewhere in the exploitative abuse, wooden performances, average script and poor character development. Blythe Auffarth doesn't make a very convincing 14 year old either. This movie would've been better served concentrating more on the characters and their motives and less on "gee, what can we do today to Meg!"
  8. Feb 22, 2013
    Jack Ketchum's 1989 novel and the subsequent film are based on one of the most infamous sex crimes in American history. The crime was truly horrific, unfortunately the film is equally as bad. The story is about a young girl who is living with a relative for the summer, a twisted and evil relative, who not only abuses the girl, but allows the neighborhood children to take advantage of her as well. The story is more than a little disturbing, but it's made worse by a film that is ridiculously tedious and boring. This story was much too straight forward and simplistic to make for a good movie, especially when they're choosing to focus on the crime itself. The one bright spot in this movie is soap actor, Daniel Manche. I'd never even heard of him prior to this film, but he was really great. It's a shame this film was so bad and cost him the recognition he deserved, but this kid was on target and really displayed the emotions that the viewers were feeling. There is another film about this crime, which focuses specifically on the ensuing trial resulting from the crime. It's called An American Crime, and while I already know the outcome, I have to see it, because it stars one of my favorite actors, Jeremy Sumpter. I can only hope that that film is more interesting than this one was. Expand
  9. Jan 26, 2012
    This is a faithfull and solid adaption of Jack Ketchum's brutal masterpiece, which was based on a true story. Could be deeper, but satisfying nonetheless Not for the squeamish.

1. Gregory M. Wilson, the film’s director, has made the kind of movie that makes you wish you could rinse your brain in bleach, to wash all traces of it from your memory.
    Neither Ketchum nor the filmmakers take an exploitative approach to the material; their focus is the way the youngsters' petty cruelty erupts into murderous sadism.
  3. Reviewed by: Phil Hall
    The result is a great-looking bore.