8.0

1. Jan 2, 2012
    I am quite frankly gobsmacked at the reviews this film has received. This film was my joint favourite of the year, tying with drive. Me and my girlfriend have read the books within the past year, and sat down to watch the extended version of the Swedish film the night before. To both of us, the difference was like night and day. The pacing in the Swedish version was plodding, and LisbethI am quite frankly gobsmacked at the reviews this film has received. This film was my joint favourite of the year, tying with drive. Me and my girlfriend have read the books within the past year, and sat down to watch the extended version of the Swedish film the night before. To both of us, the difference was like night and day. The pacing in the Swedish version was plodding, and Lisbeth felt far too friendly (as did Henrik Vanger). And despite it being an extended version, so much great stuff from the books was omitted.

David Fincher did exactly what I wanted; he upped the pace to the point where lines nearly overlap, cramming in tons of content in a shorter space of time. Not only that, Lisbeth was almost perfect, feeling as spiky, cold and unapproachable as she should do (although I personally would give her an internal monologue if I directed the film). Gladly the film followed suit and reflected her personality, meaning that as opposed to the Swedish film, she felt more like the main character she should be.

My only complaint would be of choosing Daniel Craig as Blomkvist. I personally felt he was quite fatherly and warm, until he was obsessed in his work. Daniel felt a little cold throughout, and exuded a little more confidence than I would've expected. That said, seeing him as Bond does not help my case.

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed it; the music, cinematography, pacing, acting and plotline were exactly what I was looking for. Better than the Swedish film if you're looking for a more spiky, frightening, fast-paced take on TGWTDT.
  2. Dec 23, 2011
    I've read the books and seen the original Swedish movies - I'm a fan. This was very well made, engrossing, enjoyable and well worth the time spent. The fact that I knew the plot and had seen the prior film did not diminish the experience - it was intriguing to see what another director would do with the book, and he did a great job. Go see it - you won't be disappointed (as opposed to theI've read the books and seen the original Swedish movies - I'm a fan. This was very well made, engrossing, enjoyable and well worth the time spent. The fact that I knew the plot and had seen the prior film did not diminish the experience - it was intriguing to see what another director would do with the book, and he did a great job. Go see it - you won't be disappointed (as opposed to the Mission Impossible film, by the way, which was ridiculously bad. Just had to put that negative plug in there). Expand
  3. Jan 14, 2012
    The question is, would you rather watch an excellent David Fincher film or have the world's most passionate feminist scream in your face and then punch you in the stomach? You can have both here without the physical pain of course, but you better have something soft and warm to hug by the time the credits appear.
  4. Dec 22, 2011
    This movie is a solid 10. They made some changes from the book of the same name. It's hard to say it's better than the book but I can say it's an upgrade over the Swedish film adaptation. Rooney Mara is perfect as Lisbeth and Daniel Craig gives the best performance of his career as Mikael. David Fincher did an amazing job directing as was expected. There's chilling and intense moments asThis movie is a solid 10. They made some changes from the book of the same name. It's hard to say it's better than the book but I can say it's an upgrade over the Swedish film adaptation. Rooney Mara is perfect as Lisbeth and Daniel Craig gives the best performance of his career as Mikael. David Fincher did an amazing job directing as was expected. There's chilling and intense moments as well as endearing ones. It's all highly effective. Truly brilliant. Expand
  5. Feb 15, 2012
    I have to stay really honest here, and I must say that I haven't seen a better movie in past, well, year and a half, maybe. I'm so captivated by it, and I still think about the movie's plot and the characters, who did an amazing job, especially Rooney Mara. I haven't seen the Swedish version yet ( the original - always the best ) but this movie is quite perfect. I usually oversleep movies,I have to stay really honest here, and I must say that I haven't seen a better movie in past, well, year and a half, maybe. I'm so captivated by it, and I still think about the movie's plot and the characters, who did an amazing job, especially Rooney Mara. I haven't seen the Swedish version yet ( the original - always the best ) but this movie is quite perfect. I usually oversleep movies, but dude, was I awake. It kept my attention till the end. I highly recommend this movie. Expand
  6. Feb 11, 2012
    David Fincher did his lurid best. See this English adaptation with fresh look. Rooney Mara's Lisbeth Salander is different with Noomi Rapace's. And also the movie, although a drawback but it's different air. Not Fincher's best work but it also great in every level.
  7. Dec 25, 2011
    Excellent. Engaging for the whole time. I'm thinking Brendan shouldn't go to anymore movies... just in case they might be a remake; it is obvious he didn't judge this movie on it merits. Though it is a long movie, it keep me wondering what was going to happen next, and I wasn't bored (and I don't like movies over 2 hours, just too self-indulgent by the director usually) but this oneExcellent. Engaging for the whole time. I'm thinking Brendan shouldn't go to anymore movies... just in case they might be a remake; it is obvious he didn't judge this movie on it merits. Though it is a long movie, it keep me wondering what was going to happen next, and I wasn't bored (and I don't like movies over 2 hours, just too self-indulgent by the director usually) but this one succeeds where other directors and editors lose their way. Expand
  8. Jan 7, 2012
    Excellent drama and suspense in this film all the way through. There were some unnecessary scenes that were a little over the top for my taste but overall a very enjoyable film.
  9. Mar 20, 2012
    The original "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was an exemplary film. It had great characters and an extremely smart and suspenseful plot. Then David Fincher's version of the film came out and totally blew the original out of the water. The characters were fleshed out more, especially the exquisite Lisbeth Salander played beautifully by Rooney Mara, who totally deserved Best Actress overThe original "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was an exemplary film. It had great characters and an extremely smart and suspenseful plot. Then David Fincher's version of the film came out and totally blew the original out of the water. The characters were fleshed out more, especially the exquisite Lisbeth Salander played beautifully by Rooney Mara, who totally deserved Best Actress over Meryl Streep's wooden Margaret Thatcher. To put it bluntly, Mara's Lisbeth was a total bad ass, which was extremely needed. She played the character to a T and was more convincing than Noomi Rapace's portrayal (no offense Noomi). Daniel Craig also did a great job at playing Mikael and did the character more justice. The film was long but the length was needed. It took out all the filler nonsense of the original film and added more well-needed detail and style. David Fincher redeems himself a hundred times over after giving us the utterly terrible "Social Network" and re-instilled much needed faith back into his film making capabilities. It was taut, sleek, stylish, suspenseful and utterly provocative. Dark, graphic, and disturbing are age old trademarks of Fincher (see Fight Club and Seven) and he went and brought them back with a vengeance in this beautifully crafted and well-needed improvement to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series and can't wait to see what wonder Fincher brings to the table with the sequels. Expand
  10. May 19, 2012
    Smart, gritty, well-paced, and beautifully shot, this incarnation succeeds in every way that the original failed. Featuring excellent direction by David Fincer and strong performances from Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgård, and a magnificent, career-defining performance from Rooney Mara in the titular role, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is most certainly aSmart, gritty, well-paced, and beautifully shot, this incarnation succeeds in every way that the original failed. Featuring excellent direction by David Fincer and strong performances from Daniel Craig, Christopher Plummer, Stellan Skarsgård, and a magnificent, career-defining performance from Rooney Mara in the titular role, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' is most certainly a must-see for any fans of dark drama. A+ Expand
  11. Dec 21, 2011
    God Damn, this film is excellent. Fincher has that signature style that keeps audiences entertained and engaged with the story, characters, and dialogue. I can honestly say that there was nothing that i disliked about TGWTDT. I was a little skeptical about how the soundtrack would turn out, because I'm not a huge Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross fan, but it surprisingly complimented the moviesGod Damn, this film is excellent. Fincher has that signature style that keeps audiences entertained and engaged with the story, characters, and dialogue. I can honestly say that there was nothing that i disliked about TGWTDT. I was a little skeptical about how the soundtrack would turn out, because I'm not a huge Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross fan, but it surprisingly complimented the movies dark and ominous tone in the most subtly effective way possible. The cinematography is nothing short of amazing, along with the lighting, sound, and editing. Fincher has this uncanny ability to keep the camera "calm" in the brutally graphic, high-tension scenes. I could go on and on about how good this film is, but just go see it for yourself. Expand
  12. Dec 21, 2011
    Anyone that is complaining about how this is a remake of a movie that came out last year, the original film of the same name actually came out in 2009. Also, it is a remake, but it's a remake by one of greatest directors in our time, David "F*ckin" Fincher. Deal with it, not every American saw the original film, so give the remake a break everyone. Next, Daniel Craig is a marvelous actorAnyone that is complaining about how this is a remake of a movie that came out last year, the original film of the same name actually came out in 2009. Also, it is a remake, but it's a remake by one of greatest directors in our time, David "F*ckin" Fincher. Deal with it, not every American saw the original film, so give the remake a break everyone. Next, Daniel Craig is a marvelous actor throughout the film, next with Rooney Mara, who was also in the film "The Social Network." The film looks beautiful, Fincher's creative way of capturing the settings and the realistic emotions of the characters are superb. You can see prior films by Fincher in this film, including "Se7en" and "The Social Network." The soundtrack is also great by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, who previously created the soundtrack for "The Social Network." All in all, everyone who is "angry" about this remake should shut it and just enjoy the film as it was intended from Fincher's and Zaillian's perspective. Expand
  13. Jan 14, 2012
    Woefully miscast, Daniel Craig is way too cool and confident for the character part and is one of the main negatives. The other is that the movie attempts to differentiate itself from the original mainly with a faster pace .. which is the general reason US movies suck when compared to European counterparts.
  14. Dec 21, 2011
    I LOVED the original, Swedish version. I though "ok, this will be good, but it's still a remake." Sure, the film is a remake of the Swedish version because "American's don't read subtitles," but usually they aren't as good as the original, they certainly don't surpass it, TGWTDT did that. It's better than the already great original film.
  15. Dec 28, 2011
    Alright, let's get one thing straight. David Fincher directed an ADAPTATION of the original novel by Stieg Larsson. And it's an EXCELLENT one at that.
    The film is dark, eerie, creepy, and disturbing and graphic... and that's what makes it excellent! The cinematography is gorgeous, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross once again compose another Oscar-worthy film score, and David Fincher's direction is exceptional. What makes it better is Rooney Mara's portrayal of Lisbeth Salander (she's a GIANT badass in the film) and its being more faithful to the novel.
    Should you see this film? Yes, you should.
    Ps. To the negative reviews saying that it drags on too long, quit your **** You couldn't be any more wrong. I saw the film and I felt the time go way too fast, I desired more when the credits began to roll, even if I know how it ends.
  16. Jan 8, 2012
    Absolutely awesome! Everything about it is just great. Fincher did an outstanding job. I have read all three books and seen the original foreign films and I gotta say Fincher's version is the best. I don't see any reason to hate on this movie just because it was made after the original, if you like the original better that's great, watch it over and over again. As for me, I'll be watchingAbsolutely awesome! Everything about it is just great. Fincher did an outstanding job. I have read all three books and seen the original foreign films and I gotta say Fincher's version is the best. I don't see any reason to hate on this movie just because it was made after the original, if you like the original better that's great, watch it over and over again. As for me, I'll be watching Fincher's version over and over again simply because I enjoyed it alot more. It looked better, it was acted better and the music was freaking fantastic! Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are geniuses, I think the music may have been my favourite part of the movie. Although it did make a few changes to the story that I'm not entirely happy about, this movie did the book justice and was awesome from beginning to end! Expand
  17. Nov 1, 2013
    It’s quite an accomplishment when a fine young actress with lesser known credentials than her A-List co-star, manages to steal the spotlight away in dramatic fashion, Rooney Mara does exactly that to Daniel Craig, this remake of the 2009 Swedish film packs quite the punch in terms of mystery and intrigue, it drew me in with the separate storylines which eventually intertwined, but the leadIt’s quite an accomplishment when a fine young actress with lesser known credentials than her A-List co-star, manages to steal the spotlight away in dramatic fashion, Rooney Mara does exactly that to Daniel Craig, this remake of the 2009 Swedish film packs quite the punch in terms of mystery and intrigue, it drew me in with the separate storylines which eventually intertwined, but the lead performances are the real gold stars of the film. Lisbeth Solander is the girl in question, and what a fascinating specimen this girl is, underneath the gothic clothing, erratic eating and one night stands, Solander has a brilliant mind, but a fragile state is the even ground, we know that she has been raising herself from a young age, she does what she wants and really because she can, dresses as she does probably due to a lack of opinion from others and has taught herself to remain alone and isolated from society, yet when she is faced with a problem she will try her hardest to figure out a way around it, including her appointed guardian (Yorick van Wageningen) abusing her to the point of desperation, she isn’t a girl to be taken lightly, but she finds an unlikely friend in the man she was hired to investigate earlier, Mikael Blomkvist (Craig), who has his own problems. His story picks up surrounding a court battle which he has little chance of coming out on top, he decides to help out an old and tiring millionaire called Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer) who lives on a private island, cut off from the mainland, he hopes journalist Blomkvist will help him try and solve the disappearance and probable death of his niece Harriet 40 years earlier, but when Blomkvist starts to dig, he realises the mess the family is in, relatives not speaking to each other, Nazi beliefs, estranged children and how clues seem to lead back to one or the other, a family matter indeed. The paths of the two leads cross as Blomkvist seeks the help of the young Solander, and their unorthodox relationship ensues.
    The film has much more than what it is at first glance, its a fascinating script with excellent performances being brought to life through the likes of Stellan Skarsgärd and Steven Berkoff, they all have secrets and unknown tales in their secluded island, but they all want to know why now? Why look for clues to the young girl now? Director David Fincher has a talent for making the little details count, the smoking habits, the sexual nature of the characters and the seclusion of it all, he captures the mood of a typically murky and gritty time with a beaten cottage beside a lake with snow falling heavily to the ground, the two leads come from very different lives, yet wind up on the hunt for a potential murderer on a secluded island. Mara holds her own with edgy brilliance and the damaged genius of Solander, Craig is a confident individual passes this to Mikael Blomkvist, a man who had it all but let his status get the better of him, Solander could be the very thing to bring him back down. This is a fascinating thriller that rightfully relies on its characters to spark the mystery of the story, its smart, intriguing and offers a different view in terms of heroic actions from unlikely individuals.
  18. Dec 30, 2011
    This film is great I wish I didn't see the Swedish version cause I hated knowing what was gonna happen but I have to believe for the people who didn't see it it was amazing..
  19. Jan 7, 2012
    Return of the Jed.. Fincher. I loved the swedish trilogy, and my favourite books are Stieg Larsson's creations. Noomi Rapace was the perfect Lisbeth for me, and I didn't like Rooney Mara before.. But.. It's a great movie! Mara is brilliant, and Craig is better Mikael Blomkvist than (my favourite swedish actor) Michael Nyqvist. Fincher is back!
  20. Jan 7, 2012
    This is a great movie, highly recommend all to watch it. I saw both this version and the Swedish version, The English version was WAY superior. I cannot wait to read the book.
  21. Dec 24, 2011
    I saw this movie without seeing any of the swedish films or having read any of the books. I thought this movie was amazing. I thought everything about it was amazing. I went home and read that about half of everyone who saw it thought the original was superior, so i watched the first swedish film. THE SWEDISH FILM DOESN'T EVEN COMPARE, IT IS A PILE OF GARBAGE COMPARED TO FINCHER'SI saw this movie without seeing any of the swedish films or having read any of the books. I thought this movie was amazing. I thought everything about it was amazing. I went home and read that about half of everyone who saw it thought the original was superior, so i watched the first swedish film. THE SWEDISH FILM DOESN'T EVEN COMPARE, IT IS A PILE OF GARBAGE COMPARED TO FINCHER'S VERSION. David Fincher told the story perfectly, and then when i watched the swedish version, i was like "what is this" a story is barely present, and is told so horribly. Expand
  22. Jul 30, 2012
    A remake done really well that complies with the plot and understand when it is terrible violence suffered by women and when they are horrible people who violate them. Excellent photography and the dark atmosphere and dramatic film, fantastic actors especially that of Rooney Mara, who has managed to give us a wonderful interpretation of Lisbeth.
  23. Dec 21, 2011
    David Fincher's "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" is exceptional. I write this having read the novel only one week before. It was amazing to see a master filmmaker lend his vision and excellent craft to a story that I truly enjoyed. Fans of the novel will note that a few side-plots are deleted and unfortunately a very revelatory journey at the end of the story is omitted. But the theDavid Fincher's "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" is exceptional. I write this having read the novel only one week before. It was amazing to see a master filmmaker lend his vision and excellent craft to a story that I truly enjoyed. Fans of the novel will note that a few side-plots are deleted and unfortunately a very revelatory journey at the end of the story is omitted. But the the detailed character development, thriller, mystery, romance (?), and real-life horror elements are all there.

For a few days I've been reading deprecatory reviews that said this is a "slicker" version than the original Swedish film. They were correct in that it is more streamlined and wrong in that it is the worse for it. The book is 682 pages, how do you fit that into 2.5 hours? The director and screen-writer have to move plot points along at a brisk pace.

Immediately after seeing Fincher's version I watched the original Swedish movie online. The difference is night and day. I loved the original movie when I saw it in an art-house theater a few years ago. But now that I've seen Fincher's vision? David Fincher and his Director of Photography bring a true cinematic brilliance to what is at first a whodunnit and then turns out to be a mix of emotional character study and real life horror on many levels.

Daniel Craig as the male lead is great but maybe not as "real" and haggard as Nyqvist in the original film. But the standout of the whole movie, above and beyond the harrowing script, is Rooney Mara's portrayal of Lisbeth Salander.

Where Noomi Rapace excellently portrayed Salander in the original film as an aggressive punk, Mara conveys social and emotional scars not just through her appearance (peircings and black leather) but also through her physicality and dialogue. Mara's Salander averts her gaze from the world, but when she looks into your eyes you see pain and fear that will quickly turn to aggression. In the original film Salander's sexuality is an extension of her aggressiveness. Here it's a crack in her armor that makes her human. My only complaint is not in the length of the denouement but how the details go by so quickly. All in all, f@#king brilliant. I want to see it again soon.
  24. Dec 21, 2011
    Just finished the 3 book series and watched the movie tonight. Overall, I thought is was very well done. Of course, there were details and side stories that were left out; however the overall story and relevant material were handled exceptionally well. It was well acted, suspenseful and worth the price of a movie ticket.
  25. Jan 30, 2012
    This movie was just brilliant. Arguably my favorite movie of the year David Fincher brought us something that only be described as cinematic art. Fincher struck gold with his Lisbeth, Rooney Mara. She steals the show as is made obvious by her much deserved Oscar nomination. She really should win in my opinion but probably won't because the Academy messes up most of the time. Really just aThis movie was just brilliant. Arguably my favorite movie of the year David Fincher brought us something that only be described as cinematic art. Fincher struck gold with his Lisbeth, Rooney Mara. She steals the show as is made obvious by her much deserved Oscar nomination. She really should win in my opinion but probably won't because the Academy messes up most of the time. Really just a beautifully written, perfectly acted, and professionally directed work of art. Perfect. Expand
  26. Dec 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First I want to put a stop to all those people out there claiming this is a remake. That's like saying I'm making a Frankenstein movie today would be a remake over the bunch of others that came out before that was adapted from Mary Shelley's book. This movie is Fincher's adaptation on Stieg Larson's novel of the same name. Just like the Swedish one was there adaptation of the same book. It's a 2nd American, Fincher's, whatever you want to call it, adaptation of the book. Now that I got that out of the way I gotta say it's rare to have a movie come out as good or better then the book. Godfather for example but this "adaptation" of Stieg Larson's novel in ways is as good if not better then the book. I am a fan of the Swedish adaptation and though it followed the mystery element of the story I was disappointed at the key elements they took out from the book that were important to building depth and substance to the characters. I thought non readers of the book were a little robbed on knowing more about the unique and original character of Lisbeth Salander. David Fincher brought those elements into this movie so well that I felt after seeing it that somebody could watch the movie and get everything from the book without reading it. The story was told so beautiful keeping the character depth, the elements, and the story true to the book. Fincher even shortened long sequences in the book into brilliant short scenes that in a way was better then the book. The parts they took out were minimal things that didn't effect character building or the story one bit and even thought what they left out should've been left out of the movie when I first read it. There's even a slight twist at the end that was welcoming to me that read it differently. It was a twist that didn't effect the story and I actually enjoyed it more then how it played out in the book. The nice grey hue Fincher films it makes it look like a disturbing cold winter that I felt in the book. Throw Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's music into the mix really put to ear the feeling and emotion taking place throughout the story. Fincher being known for his amazing and original open title sequence doesn't let us down. Opens to Karen O Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross remake of Zepplin's Immigrant song really get's you into the mood for the movie and only gets better from there. If you're looking for a great mystery with dark elements this is your movie.
    Now I just have to say Noomi Rapace is a great actor but I thought Rooney Mara was way better as Lisbeth Salander. Not saying Noomi was bad , it's just for this role Rooney fit and played her better. In fact good enough for a best actress nod. She had Lisbeth's quirks down all the way to how she held and smoked her cigarettes. She did her homework and really became Lisbeth Salander. She did a brilliant job make her a believable intelligent, tough, and at times vulnerable person. Now in the book she's a uniquely beautiful, 90lb 23 year old with tattoos piercings and a childlike face. Rooney Mara has that physical look more then Noomi Rapace did. Add that to everything else made her nothing short of amazing. Heard Natalie Portman and Keira Knightly were to get the part and it landed on Rooney. Even as brilliant as those actors are I wouldn't think they would've been Lisbeth Salander as well as Rooney. Natalie is too tan and Keira is too pretty. She has to be a beauty that is different and unique. Rooney Mara's beauty still showed after the dyed hair tattoos and piercings and unique. I fell in love with her by the end of the movie. I want to see Rooney not only in the next 2 movies from the Larsson trilogy but want to just see more of her in movies in general. I became an instant Rooney fan after she played Lisbeth so brilliantly. I hope to see Oscar nods for best actress Rooney Mara best music Trent Reznor Atticus Ross and Karen O, Best Director David Fincher, after his shaft last year for Social Network by The King's Speech. Also would love to see a Best Adapted Screenplay for David Zallian. Must go see this movie. Can't believe anyody who would hate this unless you dislike mysteries. If your looking for mindless action with non depth characters and weak plot point storylines then don't see this movie. It's a great breath of fresh air from all the holidays movies. It's a brilliant non heartearming dark murder mystery for the holidays.
  27. Dec 23, 2011
    Better than the Swedish version and stays surprisingly true to the text and does not hold back in terms of nudity and violence as North American films often do. Rooney Mara makes for an excellent Lisbeth Salander while acting under Social Network Director David Fincher once again.
  28. Dec 28, 2011
    As a big fan of the books and the Swedish movies, went to see the Fincher movie with my husband and sister who are equally big fans of the books and Swedish movies. All three of us LOVED this new version. The plot followed the book closely, Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig hopped right out of the book. Fincher improved on the original and was a big hit with the three of us. BRAVO!!!As a big fan of the books and the Swedish movies, went to see the Fincher movie with my husband and sister who are equally big fans of the books and Swedish movies. All three of us LOVED this new version. The plot followed the book closely, Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig hopped right out of the book. Fincher improved on the original and was a big hit with the three of us. BRAVO!!! Haven't seen it??? GO!!! NOW!!! Then post your review. Expand
  29. Dec 29, 2011
    "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was an extremely interesting and intense film. Though some elements of this film were not necessarily for me, primarily the rape scenes, I was still very able to appreciate its beauty. It is a bit long (about 2 hrs 45 minutes), but the pace and the variety of scenes allowed the movie to flow seamlessly and created a very aesthetic atmosphere. I would"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was an extremely interesting and intense film. Though some elements of this film were not necessarily for me, primarily the rape scenes, I was still very able to appreciate its beauty. It is a bit long (about 2 hrs 45 minutes), but the pace and the variety of scenes allowed the movie to flow seamlessly and created a very aesthetic atmosphere. I would recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys a good mystery, since this movie is chock full of them. I see that most of the bad reviews on here are from people complaining that a remake was unnecessary since the original Swedish version came out just recently. Honestly I feel that it was a smart move to make an English remake to appeal to the predominantly English speaking countries. Having not seen the original, I canâ Expand
  30. Dec 30, 2011
    The girl who plays her has sexy pics at http://xxxfever.info username wildnout14 I have to say she is very stunning and a great actor too.................................
  31. Dec 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is yet another masterful addition to the David Fincher canon. His movies are distinctly unique among modern Hollywood. On one hand, they are highly commercial, slick action pictures; on the other, he imbues his films with layers and layers of intriguing, dark and perverse subtext. All his films are just dense with juicy details and character idiosyncracies. I thought that this film trumped the swedish version because it revealed deeper shades of the characters and their lives (much is unspoken but evident in character behaviour) as well as the overall aesthetic atmosphere, which to me were synonomous with the most intriguing aspects of the book. I thought in terms of plot development and detail, the swedish tv series and subsequent movies had a lot more literate exposition and they included more detail from the plot of the novel, but imho I agree with Fincher and Zaillian's perspective of dialing down extra plot detail in order to have a clear expose of the main themes of the book. Fincher does not shy away from the grim horrors of male domination, in fact the elements of sexual abuse in this film are evoked so clearly, graphically and painfully that it has the capacity to disturb on a profound conscious level. Fincher knows very well that the real plot of these stories deals with rape and sexual torture in our society. Overall the film's aesthetic quality is unsurpassed, Fincher remains one of the few modern hollywood auteurs. His keen eye for visual precision and atmosphere as well as the suberb music of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross make for a thoroughly mesmerizing adaptation. I believe added viewings of this film are necassary (Like all of Fincher, and great films in general). Expand
  32. Dec 31, 2011
    The best movie I've seen all year. Mara Rooney deserved top billing! Struck me as much as Saving Private Ryan: fascinating to watch, parts of it were shocking, and I spent a long time thinking about it afterward.
  33. Jan 1, 2012
    Outstanding movie. The details of the plot were somewhat modified from the book yet in no way did that diminish the story. Best movie I have seen in quite some time.
  34. Jan 3, 2012
    I was skeptical going into the theatre about how great this film would actually be and almost expecting to be let down, especially considering how much I enjoyed the Swedish version. Noomi Rapace was, in my opinion, the quintessential Lisbeth Salander, and I thought there was no way Rooney Mara could compete. I was, however, quite pleasantly surprised--she actually pulled it off! ThoughI was skeptical going into the theatre about how great this film would actually be and almost expecting to be let down, especially considering how much I enjoyed the Swedish version. Noomi Rapace was, in my opinion, the quintessential Lisbeth Salander, and I thought there was no way Rooney Mara could compete. I was, however, quite pleasantly surprised--she actually pulled it off! Though perhaps her portrayal of a more vulnerable--and dare I say likeable--L.S. may not be very true to the book, I did find myself caring more about her, and I think that this less abrasive depiction will be more appealing to people who have not read the series and therefore know very little about her past. My biggest complaints were actually quite small and therefore don't subtract from my rating, them being that it did run on a bit long after the climax, and that the more, shall we say 'disturbing' scenes, although still quite upsetting, were toned down a bit too much for my liking and were not as potent as they were both in the book and the Swedish film version. All in all, it was incredibly entertaining and I recommend anyone to see it! Expand
  35. Jan 6, 2012
    This is a good movie . This one is available at http://tinyurl.com/MovieStreamingOnline
    in English, in HQ quality FREE . Plays like youtube .

This movie is availabe for free in HD at:

recommended.
  36. Jan 23, 2012
    This movie was amazing it was a great, dark, mysterious film. David fincher knows his stuff. When the trailer came out I knew immediately I was going to see it even though I knew nothing about it. It pulled off its longness really well to, you didnt feel like it was dragging on forever. I don't know why this hasn't been getting as much love as other movies, It was freakin awesome! Go watchThis movie was amazing it was a great, dark, mysterious film. David fincher knows his stuff. When the trailer came out I knew immediately I was going to see it even though I knew nothing about it. It pulled off its longness really well to, you didnt feel like it was dragging on forever. I don't know why this hasn't been getting as much love as other movies, It was freakin awesome! Go watch it! It's pretty close to a perfect movie! Expand
  37. Jan 24, 2012
    Hell yeah this is the type of movie that I like to watch on Christmas. I have never read the book but saw the Swedish version of the film. This was hands down my second favorite movie last year. Rooney, Rooney! See was flat out great. I hope she wins the Oscar for all the stuff she had to learn and for powerhouse performance that made me scared of her. Can't wait for the next two.
  38. Jan 24, 2012
    Funny... as opposed to most people who've seen Girl with the D..T..., I felt it was trite and somewhat stupid. A Silence of the Lambs knock-off. The "out of country" feel calculated to pander to an insular American audience' sense that "they been somewhere else." In other words, if you juice up the beautiful Swedish landscapes with a lot of violence and sadism -- it's a SALE! Lord knows,Funny... as opposed to most people who've seen Girl with the D..T..., I felt it was trite and somewhat stupid. A Silence of the Lambs knock-off. The "out of country" feel calculated to pander to an insular American audience' sense that "they been somewhere else." In other words, if you juice up the beautiful Swedish landscapes with a lot of violence and sadism -- it's a SALE! Lord knows, those Hollywood marketeers know their sheis. Really! Nazis... why didn't they just make them Nazis AND zombies?! And the secret room... wooooooo! I'm sure they got a lot of that in Sweden. The parts of the movie that had any relationship to reality, no one would believe. And of course, the quintessential evil male -- what modern movie would be complete without him? And of course, to pander (there's that word again) to the innate (and base I might add) human tendency towards self-righteous violence -- we must first:
    1. Add unbidden violence on undeserving victim
    2. Next, ensure unbidden violence emanates from stereotyped group
    3. Unleash righteous wrath of "victim" - whom incidentally does things just as bad or worse than original crime - but makes _you_ feel GOOD! ("because he deserved it).
    Thus, you, the public are made worse than an animal, because you know there's always someone to hate who is worse than you.
    And what's with the tattoos anyway? So passe.
  39. Jan 28, 2012
    Undoubtedly, the best motion picture of the year. Besides the great screenplay and perfect music it has magnificent view in every moment. Outstanding performance of Rooney Mara made this film. It is more than thriller, more than drama. It is the whole life in the one film.
  40. Feb 2, 2012
    In my oppinion in this year it is one of the best films and I like it ! I think that it can take an Oscar like a best film of the year but , it can't ...
  41. Feb 3, 2012
    Best remake so far,,if you already watched the original dont watch it anymore,,Rooney Mara was awesome,very good acting,,she deserve an oscar for this,,Daniel Craig very good,,and a cool opening,,thuoght i was watching james bond filmm..
  42. Feb 19, 2012
    David Fincher's great direction...
    Rooney Mara's remarkable performance...
    Steven Zailian's well-written screenplay...
    Easily one of the best works Fincher has done...
  43. Mar 7, 2012
    I am going to go out on a limb and say this but "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was the best film in 2011. Daniel Craig showed us a role that he proved that he could play well and the newly talented Rooney Mara was the best part of it. There are movies where you can tell whether or not they put a lot of effort into it and this proves that they did. The story line was phenomenal, theI am going to go out on a limb and say this but "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was the best film in 2011. Daniel Craig showed us a role that he proved that he could play well and the newly talented Rooney Mara was the best part of it. There are movies where you can tell whether or not they put a lot of effort into it and this proves that they did. The story line was phenomenal, the actors were great, the cinematography really shined and the original score behind it was also as great. In my opinion the best part of the film was the Female Lead, Rooney Mara, who plays Lisbeth Salander in the film and plays it with a passion like no other. Pick it up on DVD on March 20. Expand
  44. Mar 7, 2012
    This movie is a modern masterpiece. Incredibly well done, with amazing performances and a golden direction from David Ficher. Far superior than the swedish version in all the possible ways, and true to the book, this is what Dragon Tattoo fans were waiting for.
  45. Mar 16, 2012
    LOVED THE CASTING. DAVID FINCHERS PERSONAL TWIST. ALL OF IT. Haven't read the books or the seen the first takes of the films, but I loved this one and hopes Fincher signs on to Direct the second and so on and so forth.
  46. Mar 29, 2012
    The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo es la mejor pelicula que he visto desde hace mas de un año. La actuacion de Rooney Mara es perfecta y magistral. Daniel Craig nos da otra solida demostracion de su talento y es aun mejor que la version sueca. Me encanto y aunque dura casi 3 horas me parecio intrigante y inteligente.
  47. Apr 11, 2012
    Engaging, intelligent, fantastic performances all round, masterfully shot and directed, David Fincher didn't put a foot wrong with this beautifully crafted thriller.
  48. Jul 3, 2012
    Rooney Mara nails Lisbeth Sandler's character, even better than Noomi Rapace. Daniel Craig also does a good job playing what he does best, an FBI agent. It's long because it is one of the few movies faithful to a book and can actually bring the emotion of it. From 2012's adapted screenplays, you won't be able to find one as faithful as this one and The Hunger Games, thanks to great actingRooney Mara nails Lisbeth Sandler's character, even better than Noomi Rapace. Daniel Craig also does a good job playing what he does best, an FBI agent. It's long because it is one of the few movies faithful to a book and can actually bring the emotion of it. From 2012's adapted screenplays, you won't be able to find one as faithful as this one and The Hunger Games, thanks to great acting and character relevance, as well as nice elaborate action sequences. Expand
  49. Mar 6, 2013
    First of all, I'm a huge fan of the original Swedish film and Noomi Rapace's fantastic performance, but this one, OMG. Simply said, David Fincher's 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' is a phenomenal masterpiece. I've watched this film five times and I still can't get enough of it. I can write hundreds of essays about this film, it's a perfect film for film students to deconstruct and studyFirst of all, I'm a huge fan of the original Swedish film and Noomi Rapace's fantastic performance, but this one, OMG. Simply said, David Fincher's 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' is a phenomenal masterpiece. I've watched this film five times and I still can't get enough of it. I can write hundreds of essays about this film, it's a perfect film for film students to deconstruct and study about, but moreover, it's incredible entertainment. It's impossible to talk about the film without raving about Rooney Mara's hypnotic performance, which I believe is better than Noomi Rapace's performance. This girl does it all in this film, she is completely unafraid of the camera, it's as if David Fincher yelled ''action'' from another closed room and let her do her job on her own or with a cast mate in another. I seriously can't wait for the sequel... Expand
  50. Jan 5, 2012
    Slick... Stylish... Smart... Sexy... Scary... Not for the faint of heart or the prude. I like a good mystery especially one that keeps you guessing but it should have come with cliff notes because it was too hard to follow. Secondly, It really would have been a better film if it were shorter. The climax was suppressed because they tacked-on an extra storyline to the last twenty minutes.Slick... Stylish... Smart... Sexy... Scary... Not for the faint of heart or the prude. I like a good mystery especially one that keeps you guessing but it should have come with cliff notes because it was too hard to follow. Secondly, It really would have been a better film if it were shorter. The climax was suppressed because they tacked-on an extra storyline to the last twenty minutes. Finally, "Q" would approve of all the "gratuitous sex and violence", (or in this case "sexual violence"). Unless you are a hardened masochist you WILL be shocked and offended. I had better not see anyone taking their minor children into this one. All that said... I thought it was a pretty great adult film. Expand
  51. Apr 10, 2012
    Brutal, dark, intense, shocking, interesting, and enjoyable, these are just some of the words I would use to describe this movie, it's fantastic but not in the way you'd expect, honestly after watching this I was pretty surprised at what I just watched, let me just tell you this it's earned it's R rating, and that this is definitely one you don't want to end up in the hands of a kid, theBrutal, dark, intense, shocking, interesting, and enjoyable, these are just some of the words I would use to describe this movie, it's fantastic but not in the way you'd expect, honestly after watching this I was pretty surprised at what I just watched, let me just tell you this it's earned it's R rating, and that this is definitely one you don't want to end up in the hands of a kid, the plot is enjoyable, it has a fantastic soundtrack, and Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara both deliver outstanding and exceptional performances, Rooney Mara's performance as Lisabeth in particular was phenomenal, she made her character come to life and made me want to learn everything about Lisabeth, and I hope they make the sequels just so I can, it's an outstanding, intense, and fantastic movie experience that I highly recommend, just be sure your ready for it first. Expand
  52. Jan 6, 2012
    Solid movie, and unexpectedly excellent acting from Mara - absolutely great in the role and very brave / honest / touching in the way she did it. To me, the first 2/3 of the movie worked much better than the last act, both in terms of plot and pacing.
  53. Dec 29, 2011
    Great movie! Full of action, drama, and suspense. Another amazing movie by David Fincher! This movie was just a joy to watch the entire time. Can't wait for the next installment!
  54. Dec 21, 2011
    Following the very successful adaptation of Stieg Larssons millennium trilogy into three very successful Swedish language films, it came as no surprise when Hollywood announced that it would be making an English-language version of the series. Director David Fincher was announced to craft the first book in the series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The new version follows very close toFollowing the very successful adaptation of Stieg Larssons millennium trilogy into three very successful Swedish language films, it came as no surprise when Hollywood announced that it would be making an English-language version of the series. Director David Fincher was announced to craft the first book in the series, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The new version follows very close to the original material with one fairly big exception which I will detail later in the review. Daniel Craig stars as Mikael Blomkvist, who at the opening of the film has recently lost a court case for which he was being sued for libel by a prominent business figure. His career is in ruins and virtually all of his savings gone as a result of the trial and punitive damages. So when he is contacted by an attorney representing the wealthy and powerful Vanger family, he agrees to meet. Although highly reluctant to take a meeting, Mikael takes the four hour train ride north of Stockholm to a cold and remote island to meet with Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer). Henrik wishes Mikael to investigate the disappearance of his niece some 40 years earlier, a niece vanished under the familiesâ Expand
  55. Apr 15, 2012
    Fincher is once again brilliant and his films still remain an event. Rooney mara's performance also is on the line of perfection. I am excited for his next film.
  56. Jan 12, 2012
    Stylish, Intense and interesting. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an excellent film made by very talented film makers. Although there were a few things that were missing from the original, I found this version more enjoyable and entertaining and many important aspects of the film were explored deeper. The central character of Lisbeth is a fleshed out more and I felt I got to know theStylish, Intense and interesting. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an excellent film made by very talented film makers. Although there were a few things that were missing from the original, I found this version more enjoyable and entertaining and many important aspects of the film were explored deeper. The central character of Lisbeth is a fleshed out more and I felt I got to know the character better. The pay off to the intense scenes are also more rewarding. Perhaps the movie went 15minutes too long but it didn't worry me too much as I enjoyed the character so much. Be prepared for some intense graphic scenes but there is a point to it all. Recommended. Expand
  57. May 16, 2012
    One of david fincher's best films. Sure, at first it starts out kinda slow, but it speeds up. And once it does, it's like a punch right in the gut. Its brutal, intruiging, and captivating all at the same time. The best crime thriller i have ever seen.
  58. Feb 26, 2012
    David Fincher definitely kept his charm on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo . Its an amazing mystery film that I was waiting so long. Amazing screenplay and amazing directing . Daniel Craig was really good at his role . Rooney Mara definitely pulled off her emo look and her acting was her best (undoubtedly ). Filming location was in one word AMAZING . It was perfect for the film . It wasDavid Fincher definitely kept his charm on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo . Its an amazing mystery film that I was waiting so long. Amazing screenplay and amazing directing . Daniel Craig was really good at his role . Rooney Mara definitely pulled off her emo look and her acting was her best (undoubtedly ). Filming location was in one word AMAZING . It was perfect for the film . It was Snowy , Dark , Cold , The three best weather for an amazing mystery .
    So much looking forward to see a Sequel . Sony said they will be filmed back to back and I wish they would release those the same way.
  59. Jan 28, 2012
    De la part de David Fincher, réalisateur de Se7en, j'en attendais beaucoup de ce remake américain et seconde adaptation de l'oeuvre de Stieg Larsson, à commencer par un travail soigné au niveau de l'atmosphère. L'envie de voir un véritable chef-d'oeuvre qui s'est confirmée dès le (sublime)De la part de David Fincher, réalisateur de Se7en, j'en attendais beaucoup de ce remake américain et seconde adaptation de l'oeuvre de Stieg Larsson, à commencer par un travail soigné au niveau de l'atmosphère. L'envie de voir un véritable chef-d'oeuvre qui s'est confirmée dès le (sublime) générique de début, ce dernier nous mettant immédiatement dans l'ambiance. D'accord, il n'y a pas trop de prises de risques, du fait que l'ensemble reste fidèle à l'esprit du livre. Mais ce remake se montre bien plus imposant que son prédécesseur suédo-danois. Il faut dire que le casting est de qualité, au point qu'on laisse de côté les acteurs originaux (Rooney Mara remplaçant sans mal la pourtant excellente Noomi Rapace); que l'ambiance du film est au-delà de mes espérances car étant prenante, dérangeante et palpitante (grâce aux effets sonores et à la BO); que le scénario est légèrement différent (question détails); et que l'on ne s'ennuit pas une seule seconde pendant 2h38. Bref, une réussite! Expand
  60. Feb 13, 2012
    What a bloody brilliant film.....I've not read the books or seen the Swedish versions but I was utterly transfixed from go to woe......
    This is by far my film of the year thus far.
  61. Dec 26, 2011
    The US version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo proves to be a very well-done film and in my opinion is an improvement over the Swedish version. I know there are a bunch of disgruntled fans of the original Swedish version that don't like this film but I think that it works well and the characterizations are good in their own right. There are some changes to the US version from theThe US version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo proves to be a very well-done film and in my opinion is an improvement over the Swedish version. I know there are a bunch of disgruntled fans of the original Swedish version that don't like this film but I think that it works well and the characterizations are good in their own right. There are some changes to the US version from the Swedish version, especially towards the end but in my opinion it flows better than the Swedish version and I found the ending to be much more satisfying than the Swedish versions ending. Also, you simply cannot beat Trent Reznor's and Atticus Ross' score for the film. Rooney Mara is simply outstanding and brings a different interpretation of Lisbeth that I felt was better with the more vulnerable characteristics. Noomi Rapace's more confident an empowered version is also very good and I don't want to take anything away from that either. This film also provides a good opportunity to create better sequels. After the original GWTGT, the next two swedish films were really weak and were disappointing efforts. Hopefully Fincher and company return to bring the other two books to the screen. Expand
  62. Jan 28, 2012
    out of DETECTIVE movies...sherlock holmes, tinker and Dragon tattoo..this one is the best by far...will keep you guessing and the chilly baltic sea locales will keep you extra chilled.
  63. Dec 20, 2011
    David Fincher returns to his roots and directs a near perfect neo-noir pyschological thriller. Rooney Mara also returns from her minor role in The Social Network and proves that she is more than capable of becoming an A-list actor. If the film only focused more on Lisbeth's dark past rather than glossing over it, the film would be perfect.
  64. Dec 25, 2011
    I was fully prepared to loathe this film. I was very affected by Larsson's written work. (I sent for English publishers editions rather than wait for the douche American conglomerates' one-year-between-volumes of the trilogy separation) I think that the Swedish versions are absolutely what the novels demanded and are sufficient on their merits to have been the only cinematic versions. ThatI was fully prepared to loathe this film. I was very affected by Larsson's written work. (I sent for English publishers editions rather than wait for the douche American conglomerates' one-year-between-volumes of the trilogy separation) I think that the Swedish versions are absolutely what the novels demanded and are sufficient on their merits to have been the only cinematic versions. That said, I left the theater just pleased, and impressed. I hd fears of any overly glamorized, sanitized Hollywood version. Fincher has brought none of that to the screen. This is as stark as it should be. Daniel Craig is very good as Kalle Blomkvist and Rooney Mara is a more damaged Lisbeth. My only serious quibble with this film is Fincher's decision to have Blomkvist be a father and in touch with his daughter and ex-wife. I se nothing added to the character (in fact I think that Larsson intended that Mikael be a self-absorbed workaholic, as Larsson seems to have been). I sincerely hope that this Dragon Tattoo version earns enough to provide backing for an entire trilogy. If that comes to pass, inclusion of the daughter and ex-wife characters promises the possibility of some cheesy plot devices that will ruin the remaining chapters if used. If Fincher avoids that temptation and pitfall, the debate will rage for decades to the delight of film geeks everywhere! Expand
  65. Dec 21, 2011
    David Fincher's take on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a bleak, gruesome, and some times hard to watch film, yet its amazing style and intriguing story keep the audience captivated. We don't want to watch, but we can't look away because Fincher doesn't hold back and because every moment Rooney Mara's Lisbeth is on screen she commands attention. She gives perhaps the best performanceDavid Fincher's take on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is a bleak, gruesome, and some times hard to watch film, yet its amazing style and intriguing story keep the audience captivated. We don't want to watch, but we can't look away because Fincher doesn't hold back and because every moment Rooney Mara's Lisbeth is on screen she commands attention. She gives perhaps the best performance of the year and even tops Noomi Rapace's amazing portrayal of the same character in the Swedish version. It seems many critics have decided to diss this movie on the only basis that it came out so soon after the Swedish version. These critics/people are trolls and should be ignored. Remakes and alternate adaptations should be able to stand apart and be judged on their worth rather than on their predecessors. All in all Fincher's version is on par with the Swedish adaptation, though I felt the longer drawn out ending in the American film was inferior to Niels Arden Oplev's ending version. Expand
  66. Dec 25, 2011
    This movie adaptation was as good as it could be and I have no criticisms in that regard but the problem occurs when it is compared to the novels which is unfair because not every detail can incorporated into the actual movie. This movie was very well done in terms of production and Rooney Mara was phenomenal as Lisbeth Salander. The original swedish verions were also very good but theyThis movie adaptation was as good as it could be and I have no criticisms in that regard but the problem occurs when it is compared to the novels which is unfair because not every detail can incorporated into the actual movie. This movie was very well done in terms of production and Rooney Mara was phenomenal as Lisbeth Salander. The original swedish verions were also very good but they should not take away from what this version has to offer. The two trilogies can be compared and contrasted to no end but each should not be viewed as better or worse based on the other. Apart from these comparative issues, the movie was excellent but not everyone will be able to enjoy the depth that this movie offers without reading the books. I do hope that adaptations of the next two books are made and that they are done just as well as this one was. Expand
  67. Jan 29, 2012
    Millenium trilogy? What's that? I haven't read Larsson's books, I haven't seen the previous movies. Probably that's why I'm able to give this movie a sound 9. I don't care if this is a good adaptation of Larsson's book. What I can say is that I was simply captivated by this movie for 2,5 hours. The plot is good, makes you wonder, fear, doubt, and shock all the time. The gloomy atmosphereMillenium trilogy? What's that? I haven't read Larsson's books, I haven't seen the previous movies. Probably that's why I'm able to give this movie a sound 9. I don't care if this is a good adaptation of Larsson's book. What I can say is that I was simply captivated by this movie for 2,5 hours. The plot is good, makes you wonder, fear, doubt, and shock all the time. The gloomy atmosphere of a Northern Swedish town with a lingering mystery that surrounds the Vangners' possession is overwhelming and well presented. Trent Reznor's music is just great in stressing the hideous danger that creeps literally out of everything: iMacs, forests, photographs, neat Swedish homes etc. The acting of Craig is good (and just that), while the critic appraisals for Mara's performance are justified -- she is truly mesmerizing as Lisbeth Salander, and her acting, in which she speaks more with her eyes than actually words, is fantastic. The director of photography and the editing team did also a great job: fast-changing scenes truly capture all the necessary elements, gestures, and moments. What are you waiting for? Go watch it! Expand
  68. Jan 3, 2012
    Fincher at his best. This movie is electrifying from the very start. There is an edge to it that is sustained throughout. Reznor sets the tone with a tremendous score, and the acting is superb.
  69. Jan 8, 2012
    After seeing the film, I was left with the impression that you only truly get to understand and enjoy this film if you have read the book before hand. I got the feeling that if I hadn't read the book, I would be left confused and unable to appreciate everything that happened. Having said that, I was intrigued to see how the story would be condensed into a film, and enjoyed thisAfter seeing the film, I was left with the impression that you only truly get to understand and enjoy this film if you have read the book before hand. I got the feeling that if I hadn't read the book, I would be left confused and unable to appreciate everything that happened. Having said that, I was intrigued to see how the story would be condensed into a film, and enjoyed this interpretation immensely. The cast are very good, and Rooney Mara was brilliant as Lisbeth Salander. Would recommend highly! Expand
  70. Jan 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an incredible movie. Having seen the original Swedish version of the movie I was able to compare them both. Both takes on Lisbeth Salander are amazing and each actress brings something a little different to the role that's one of the most difficult characters to play in any movie in a while. The U.S. version of the film is more stylish and clean than the original - the opening credits play like a James Bond opener complete with a cover of a Led Zeppelin song by the always awesome Karen O. In addition, Fincher adds an extra 20 minutes to the movie after the big climax that work perfectly to extend on Lisbeth as a character. While this also works as a more elaborate ending wind-down than the original, I agree with the critic that said that neither movie is superior to the other as they compliment each other very well and ultimately make for an even more solid understanding and likability of the story and characters. That being said, you don't have to have seen the original to enjoy this movie. It's still hard not to get wrapped up in the mysterious case until the very end and find compassion for Lisbeth as the movie unfolds. But while there are so many good things about the movie just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into by seeing it - there are multiple scenes that are difficult to watch but are equally as necessary to the story... maybe not the dismembered cat, though. But once you get passed the darker scenes what you're left with is an incredible story and film with gifted actors and actresses portraying characters who, regardless of appearance, prove to be incredibly human. Rooney Mara's take on Lisbeth is easily the standout of the film as she brings a needed vulnerability to the role but commands your attention every time she's on screen - I couldn't take my eyes off her. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that it'll be very hard to find any complaints with David Fincher's take on 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo'. It's easily worth seeing again and I can't wait for the much-needed sequels in the, hopefully, near future. Expand
  71. Jan 21, 2012
    I'm one of those snobs who feels like the original Swedish version was a little better. The first half of this version felt rushed while the latter half seemed extended--drawn out for every minute it was worth. I did think the casting was superb and was glad they didn't water down the sensitive parts for the American audience. All in all a solid effort.
  72. Jan 29, 2012
    This movie exceeds my expectations of my all-time favorite book. When seeing it, I was worried that it would be a rehashed clone of the Swedish hit movie, but, to my delight, I was wrong. Once the opening credits started, I knew I was in for the ride of my life. This movie, led by supreme acting by Mara Rooney, is artistic and moody. It is deeply disturbing, and does not shy away from itsThis movie exceeds my expectations of my all-time favorite book. When seeing it, I was worried that it would be a rehashed clone of the Swedish hit movie, but, to my delight, I was wrong. Once the opening credits started, I knew I was in for the ride of my life. This movie, led by supreme acting by Mara Rooney, is artistic and moody. It is deeply disturbing, and does not shy away from its dark subject matter. The only complaint I can say is that for a movie set in Sweden, the accents are from all over the world. Daniel Craig never drops his British accent, and even Stellan Skarsgard lacks a Swedish accent. Only Mara Rooney embraces the role completely, and takes the movie from a good movie and ensures it to be a mind-blowing movie. Expand
  73. Jan 31, 2012
    An amazing movie: definitely one of the best of the year of 2011. Craig and Mara were gods... A truly great thriller. The opening scene is perfectely obscure and awesome; its even appropriated to say: legendary! The movie begins very calm and starts to speed up. David Fincher - I did not liked that much The Social Network, but this one? This one you got it right. Keep up the good workAn amazing movie: definitely one of the best of the year of 2011. Craig and Mara were gods... A truly great thriller. The opening scene is perfectely obscure and awesome; its even appropriated to say: legendary! The movie begins very calm and starts to speed up. David Fincher - I did not liked that much The Social Network, but this one? This one you got it right. Keep up the good work (like Benjamin Button and Fight Club...)! I strongly recommend! Expand
  74. Apr 24, 2012
    Great movie! I have not yet read the books, but I definitely did not expect the plot to be what it was. Mara Rooney was fantastic as well! I think that her role was very inspirational for women, and definitely got my adrenaline going, that's what makes a good movie-when the audience can connect with the actors through emotions and actions. Can't wait to read the books!
  75. Jul 21, 2012
    I thought this was excellent. Being a big fan of the book and Swedish film, I was prepared to be disappointed, especially after Noomi Rapace was soo good in the original. Rooney Mara's take on Salander is different but just as good, and I was really impressed by the film. Less depth but more polished.
  76. Oct 3, 2012
    This movie was shocking in many ways - an excellent adaptation of the book, which was a shock - on par or better than its foreign counterpart - and a very engrossing cinematic experience, not to mention an incredible journey into the depravity of the darkest of mankind. I found this movie hard to watch at times but was compelled to not shy away as it hit me in the face with the reality ofThis movie was shocking in many ways - an excellent adaptation of the book, which was a shock - on par or better than its foreign counterpart - and a very engrossing cinematic experience, not to mention an incredible journey into the depravity of the darkest of mankind. I found this movie hard to watch at times but was compelled to not shy away as it hit me in the face with the reality of the book and the deep understanding I felt toward the characters. The acting is superb and the soundtrack is some of Trent Reznor's best and most mature work to date. Expand
  77. Dec 6, 2012
    I loved it! I personally liked it a lot more than the Swedish version (both are brilliant films). A little long. Rooney Mara is brilliant, we'll be hearing about her in the future. The opening credits are super stylish and epic.
  78. Mar 8, 2014
    Here comes an interesting and engaging thriller that presents itself with all kinds of twists and turns. While it may be to grotesque at times it still engages you as an audience member guessing what's going to happen next. The movie has a great cast led by Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara delivering a true oscar nominated performance. It also looks outstanding with its bleek setting andHere comes an interesting and engaging thriller that presents itself with all kinds of twists and turns. While it may be to grotesque at times it still engages you as an audience member guessing what's going to happen next. The movie has a great cast led by Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara delivering a true oscar nominated performance. It also looks outstanding with its bleek setting and tremendous cinematography by Jeff Cronenweth. Overall, it's an outstanding fast-paced thriller filled with twists and turns. I give it an A! Expand
  79. Jun 25, 2013
    This film is a masterpiece. I've seen the Swedish one I think) and I have to say that the american is much better. The actors are fascinating. Daniel Craig, which is not one of my favorite actors impressed me and Rooney Mara was beyond excellence. The plot though it is based on a book is smart and it has suspense through the whole movie. I can't wait to see the next one. Plus, DavidThis film is a masterpiece. I've seen the Swedish one I think) and I have to say that the american is much better. The actors are fascinating. Daniel Craig, which is not one of my favorite actors impressed me and Rooney Mara was beyond excellence. The plot though it is based on a book is smart and it has suspense through the whole movie. I can't wait to see the next one. Plus, David Fincher did a great job in this one. A must-watch Expand
  80. Jan 11, 2014
    Thanks to David Fincher, the world now has Rooney Mara to admire (and stare at). She plays the Goth misfit Lisbeth in this film, her first lead role, and she’s actually pretty good. She does revenge particularly well. A fierce character, while not dominating every scene, Rooney dominates the film. She is the one we think a hour later.
    I will not try and compare her performance with Noomi
    I will not try and compare her performance with Noomi Repace's, whom I also love to watch. Both do Lisbeth their
    own way.

When Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) gets into some political hot water and needs to get out of Stockholm, he takes a job as an investigator in the Swedish countryside trying to solve the mystery of a disappeared girl, but there are people that do not want him to to find the answers. Eventually he teams up with Lisbeth and they work on the case together.

In the first part of the film, the intersecting story lines between the two main characters are done with skill. Many scenes are not action or dialogue based, yet all they all add to the story. The decision to film this version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in Sweden, as opposed to swapping it out for some American city, was a well made one.

Since so much of the story is told in images, kudos goes to the editors Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall. Both are long time collaborators of Fincher, and they’ve both won multiple Oscars, including one for this film. I get the suspicion that they worked extra overtime on this movie; there are just tons and tons of scenes, a complete 180 from the style of Panic Room.

The chemistry between Rooney and Craig really builds throughout the film as the two work great together. The irregularity of the pairing makes it much more interesting and intriguing to follow than most typical, on-screen romances.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is not the most depressing of all Fincher productions, but it’s still pretty low down there, and I mean this in the best way possible. It’s either always raining or cold outside while sometimes this envorinment is contrasted against interior scenes that are pristine, white, clean. Tension. Clean rooms don't seem to apear often in Fincher films, and as expected there are many others that are dark and dirty.

The film ends in a reasonably satisfying way leaving us hanging, waiting for the sequel.

Errata: I could have gone without the final Stockholm scene when Lisbeth is riding her motorbike through the streets as it snows. A similar situation occurred in The Wolverine (2013) where Logan rode a motorbike through the mountains in Japanese winter. These situations would never occur. Motorbikes and snow are never a very convincing combination (for me anyway).
  81. Apr 24, 2015
    The dark seeps out of the screen like living thing, evidence that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is more than a paycheck to director David Fincher, who has improbably affixed his own imprint on a movie that comes weighted down with possibilities and expectations no filmmaker should have to contend with. Aided by a tightly-wrapped screenplay adapted from Stieg Larsson's global best-sellerThe dark seeps out of the screen like living thing, evidence that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is more than a paycheck to director David Fincher, who has improbably affixed his own imprint on a movie that comes weighted down with possibilities and expectations no filmmaker should have to contend with. Aided by a tightly-wrapped screenplay adapted from Stieg Larsson's global best-seller by Steven Zaillian, Fincher strips the material to its skeleton, then adds back the sinew and tissue to create something that is unmistakably The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but in no way a carbon copy of the earlier Swedish movie or the book itself. This is what a movie adaptation should be: a film whose base narrative has its roots in the source material but whose soul can be identified through the images that unfold on screen.

When, in early 2010, Columbia Pictures announced their intention to film The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the question that crossed many lips was, "Why?" After all, there was already a very good adaptation available, a 2009 Swedish production directed by Niels Arden Oplev with a star-making turn from Noomi Rapace. The intention to "remake" The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo in English with an A-list star smacked of a cash-grab. Whatever the motivations, however, this interpretation of Larsson's story can stand proudly alongside the Swedish version. Both tell the same basic story, but there are enough differences - some subtle, some significant - that each can be enjoyed on its own terms. And, although Oplev will always have the distinction of being first, the strengths of Fincher's film reminds us that first is not always best.

Two key elements differentiate Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from Oplev's (and please don't misread this in any way as a denunciation of the Swedish interpretation, which was one of my top films of 2010). The first is the aesthetic. Filmed with a bigger budget and an auteur behind the camera, the 2011 movie is steeped in bleak, cold darkness. Everything, from the wintery setting to the gloomy interiors to the way scenes are photographed, enhances this aspect. Oplev's approach was more straightforward and not as assured. The second is the way the characters are represented. Fincher softens the edges and presents us with more emotionally complex individuals. Oplev emphasizes individual characteristics. Some of the characters in the 2009 movie are little more than caricatures (the vile and sadistic Bjurman being an example), but Fincher quests for ambiguity.

Zaillian's screenplay does a better job than the one penned by Nikolaj Arcel & Rasmus Heisterberg in distilling Larssson's convoluted story into something movie audiences can absorb without a primer. In fairness to the writers of the Swedish version, their 180-minute original lost 28 minutes in the transition from TV mini-series to motion picture, and that's part of the reason for its occasionally erratic tone and discontinuities. Still, Zaillian has surgically altered Larsson's book for the screen by cutting, adding, and changing where necessary. The final result is a coherent, well-developed murder mystery that is neither rushed nor sluggish. It also keeps us waiting for a while for the two main characters to meet - that doesn't happen until the one-hour mark. Until that point, their stories are kept separate to better clarify their places in the overall narrative and to provide a stronger sense of who they are as individuals (rather than as a pair). Once they meet, they get to share the screen often enough to generate a peculiar frisson.

Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo also manages to make Mikael into more than a nondescript detective and straight man for Lisbeth's weird brilliance. (In this milieu, she's Holmes to his Watson.) Craig, aided by the screenplay, fleshes out Mikael. He is never as captivating as Lisbeth, but neither does he vanish into her shadow. The quasi-romantic relationship that develops between the two is more intriguing than the more traditional one in the Swedish movie. Here, their emotional investment is unequal, with Mikael viewing it as casual while Lisbeth, for perhaps the first time in her life, has discovered feelings between the sheets (or, more appropriately, on top of them).

Personally, I would love to see what this creative team could do with those books (which are inferior to the first one). Regardless of what happens in the future, however, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo can stand on its own as Fincher's valentine to goth girl power, detective stories, and the grotesqueness of the human heart.
  82. Dec 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. I have special love for the original Swedish version which I listed as my fourth favorite film of 2010. If that movie didn't exist, I may have very different feelings about this one - for good AND for bad. Rooney Mara is terrific in this role, but I don't think she's necessarily better than Noomi. Noomi had that smoldering, caged heat feeling about her. It was more of a masculine slow burn, whereas Rooney is much more feminine, and her character is a bit less focused. Both are solid in their roles, but I think I prefer Noomi's take on it. The Swedish version focuses much more on the the mystery of Harriet's death, and it's much more process-oriented, which I preferred. The Fincher film glosses over much of the detail of that investigation ,and I feel that if I hadn't seen the original, I might have been a bit lost with regard to the family tree, the unlocking of the old photographs, and the tic toc on the day of the car crash on the bridge. I also liked the original's resolution of the murder mystery storyline much more, with Harriet coming back from Australia - the acting and the sense of relief was palpable and enormously satisfying. Comparatively I didn't feel that Christopher Plummer cared nearly as much to see her. Now, on the other hand, the "theft" sequence with Mara draining bank accounts and her subsequent show of real love for Bloomquist at the end was much more fleshed out - and to a more satisfying degree - in the Fincher film. The bottom line for me is that there's nothing like the first time, and this film simply didn't stack up to the power of original which really did cut like a knife. To me, it's a classic. To compare these two to another pair of films - I loved Let The Right One One, the Swedish original, but Let Me In, the American version, stacked up very well against it. It brought something special to the story - perhaps more so than than Fincher's Dragon Tattoo does. ALL this being said, I certainly was entertained by Fincher's movie and recommend it. Collapse
  83. Jan 8, 2012
    This is a very interesting and exciting movie. Plus for the voyeurs a couple of nicely graphic sex scenes. The movie moves forward from a journalist losing his job to taking on an assignment of what ever happened to a long-since-vanished member of a large Swedish family. The person who know is a family member, and family members live far apart on apparently a large wooded island. WhenThis is a very interesting and exciting movie. Plus for the voyeurs a couple of nicely graphic sex scenes. The movie moves forward from a journalist losing his job to taking on an assignment of what ever happened to a long-since-vanished member of a large Swedish family. The person who know is a family member, and family members live far apart on apparently a large wooded island. When the truth is known it is very different that I thought it would be, and in a way very satisfying. This is worthwhile. Go see. Oh yes, a note on the rape scene: As seen and heard on local TV every night be prepared for anything and everything. Expand
  84. Dec 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have not read the books, nor have I seen the original version of the movie. Therefore, some of my pet peeves about the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo may lie somewhere in the story itself rather than the editing. Don't get me wrong. The movie is great. I immensely look forward to sequels. Rooney Mara's performance alone is enough to want to see the series continue. The entire cast is fantastic, but what seemed to bug me most during the movie is the extended amount of time spent on some elements of the story, like her being a ward of the state, but how much time wasn't spent on explaining the backstory re: Daniel Craig's lawsuit and relationship with Robin Penn. A lot effort was spent building up the need for Christopher Plummer to hire Daniel Craig to solve this mystery, yet very little into connecting Craig and Mara together. For someone so unsociable, she unnaturally connected quickly with Craig. Then, when it was all said and done, the story seemed to wrap up too quickly as compared to the build up. So, while the story was good, the directing was good and the cast was good, the piecing together of the film itself seemed haphazardly done. Was this editing? Was it the story itself? At 2:34 long, I would have expected a better flow, but nonetheless, my high expectations were met and I look forward to more. Expand
  85. Jan 2, 2012
    If you've seen the original Swedish version, there's not much new here. If you haven't, this is the American-language adaptation of Stieg Larsson's novel about a journalist (Daniel Craig) and his unusual assistant (Rooney Mara). He's hired by a wealthy old man to solve the mystery of his missing granddaughter, but discovers a series of brutal murders. Meanwhile, she's got her own problems,If you've seen the original Swedish version, there's not much new here. If you haven't, this is the American-language adaptation of Stieg Larsson's novel about a journalist (Daniel Craig) and his unusual assistant (Rooney Mara). He's hired by a wealthy old man to solve the mystery of his missing granddaughter, but discovers a series of brutal murders. Meanwhile, she's got her own problems, when she's enlisted to help him on his search. This film, which runs 2:38, unfolds with a slow anxiety, but never really manages much tension. Even the violent scenes are underplayed. Perhaps it's that cold Swedish outlook. The musical score is often pervasive and occasionally in the way. Director David Fincher has crafted a compelling, but slightly-confusing film. Expand
  86. Jan 7, 2012
    Freaky. Dark. Weird. I'd never read the books, but I was curious. I haven't worked my way through the Swedish versions of the films yet, either. This one will inspire me to do that, for certain. I don't want to say I loved it, but I certainly did get captured by most of the elements of this movie. Lisbeth is a great shot in the arm for women in cinema. If you're a fan of coldFreaky. Dark. Weird. I'd never read the books, but I was curious. I haven't worked my way through the Swedish versions of the films yet, either. This one will inspire me to do that, for certain. I don't want to say I loved it, but I certainly did get captured by most of the elements of this movie. Lisbeth is a great shot in the arm for women in cinema. If you're a fan of cold weather, this movie is gonna be a treat for you. I would rate this higher, but I was left a little unsettled by it. I would say all my friends who enjoyed Silence of the Lambs will want to see this one. The world is a dark and dangerous place. You never know what you might find when you dig a little. Expand
  87. Feb 15, 2012
    from Kate Winslet in "The Reader" did not see nudity as explicit and worked. Rooney Mara endorsed this film where there is also praise for the editing and sound fabulous.
  88. Jan 3, 2012
    A definate must see movie even without being as good as the original Swedish movie. David Fincher has done a great job with making this movie so soon after the original and still making his "own" movie. I'm just glad that so many more people will get to see this movie and be exposed to the great story behind it, as I know so many people who don't watch foreign films. A great performanceA definate must see movie even without being as good as the original Swedish movie. David Fincher has done a great job with making this movie so soon after the original and still making his "own" movie. I'm just glad that so many more people will get to see this movie and be exposed to the great story behind it, as I know so many people who don't watch foreign films. A great performance from Rooney Mara should get an Oscar nod. Some tough scenes to watch means this is isn't for everybody, but for those who brave it will be well rewarded. Expand
  89. Dec 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fincher is an excellent filmmaker, and the movie clearly captures the excitement and dark, sinister tone of Larsson's novel, at least on one level, though the last 15-20 minutes of the movie seem rushed (and it's hard for me to believe that viewers who haven't read the book can follow all the detail) The casting is also outstanding. Lisbeth is clearly the most compelling character in the book (and movies); but although she is (and should be) a kind of cypher (in fact, the excessive psychologizing of her character in the second two books/movies detracts, I believe, from her compellingness), in this version I think she is TOO much of a cypher (due to the lack of intensity in Mara's portrayal). Also, by downplaying the background of Blomkvist's (and Larsson's) liberal, muckraking, anti-authoritarian views, it's less clear in the movie exactly why Lisbeth might be so attracted to him (though it's still a middle-aged male's fantasy that she makes love to him...twice, after being raped by her similarly middle-aged guardian). Whether the film should have been remade, or which version is better seems to me to be a moot point. I found both of them to be guilty (very guilty) pleasures. I do, however, look forward to Pedro Almodovar's gender-bending Spanish remake in which Javier Bardem plays Lisbeth,,, Expand
  90. Dec 23, 2011
    It's fantastic. Go see it. The actors are great, David Fincher is a great director, and the music is great. One of the best movies of the year, and as far as I can tell the only serious contender for best picture.
  91. drm
    Dec 24, 2011
    I've read some of the reviews on here, whining about the fact that it's a remake of the original movie, or that the book is better...blah blah blah. That is a really unfair attitude to throw on a very well made film. The cinesnobs seem to really have it out for this one. If you're Swedish, I can understand that attitude. I singularly enjoyed not having to read subtitles. David FincherI've read some of the reviews on here, whining about the fact that it's a remake of the original movie, or that the book is better...blah blah blah. That is a really unfair attitude to throw on a very well made film. The cinesnobs seem to really have it out for this one. If you're Swedish, I can understand that attitude. I singularly enjoyed not having to read subtitles. David Fincher did a wonderful directing job, as always. Daniel Craig is too cool for school. Rooney Mara is awesome. Great titles. Good music. I was just so thrilled to not be insulted at the megaplex. I think we all can agree that that is an absolute rarity these days. To the snobs...save your venom for Transformers 4 or Mr. Popper's Penguins 2. Sheesh. Expand
  92. Jan 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought this was a very well made film. Fastest 2 and a half hours I've ever spent at the movies. Funny, the book is too slow, and the film may be a little too fast. I understand why, because the paperback of the book runs at 600+ pages. But I think I would have been a bit lost if I hadn't read the book beforehand. The narrative suffered a little in my opinion. I wish the whole libel case subplot could have been even more condensed than it was, so as to leave more time to develop the central mystery. I felt that section of the story lost some impact, especially the final revelation of what happened to Harriet. (Then again, it fell rather flat in the book as well.)

The leads were excellent, especially Rooney Mara as Lisbeth. Very convincing. Because of having to fit everything into feature length, most of the secondary characters were not too well developed. This really hurt in terms of suspense at the movie's climax. There was only one character with enough screen time to be the culprit (if you hadn't already guessed him just from the camera shots of his house in its dominant, isolated position). One problem I had was that the dialogue was sometimes very hard to pick up. Either the actors were mumbling or the background sound was too high.

Especially given the unwieldiness of the source material, it's a very good film. I haven't seen the Swedish original yet. Oh, someone was angry that they gave Blomqvist a daughter. That was done by the author, and her film role is pretty much what her role was in the novel.
  93. Jan 1, 2012
    It seems sacrilegious to suggest this, but I enjoyed it more than the Swedish film: a greater sense of tension is created and Rooney Mara is much closer to how I pictured Lisbeth when reading the book than Noomi Rapace. And it is not a remake of that film...it is a different dramatisation of the book IMO. And a better one!
  94. Jan 2, 2012
    By no means did I think this was a bad movie per say; however, I can say with complete confidence that it was not what I expected. This movie is not safe for children everyone, so don't bring your kids; it's a mature thriller with a lot of sex, graphic violence, and disturbing moments. Overall, this movie was good, not great, but enjoyable nonetheless to any fan of cinema. Rooney Mara didBy no means did I think this was a bad movie per say; however, I can say with complete confidence that it was not what I expected. This movie is not safe for children everyone, so don't bring your kids; it's a mature thriller with a lot of sex, graphic violence, and disturbing moments. Overall, this movie was good, not great, but enjoyable nonetheless to any fan of cinema. Rooney Mara did a great job in her role of Lisbeth Salander, which I don't believe many people could pull off with so convincingly. I also believe Craig did a good enough job in the moments when he needed to portray emotion, but overall his character didn't truly stand out. The rest of the actors did a well enough job with their respective characters, but no other stand outs were really present. The plot is the true show here. Based on the novel of the same name, I was very captivated by the amount of immersion and detail was in this film. That can mainly be attributed to the two and a half hour runtime, which I'm sure has many potential viewers on edge. If you're willing to sit through the somewhat slow opening of Mara's character, it really picks up about an hour in and you are treated with some great interactions between Lisbeth and Mikael. The pacing, I'm sure, will appeal to many people; it's fast and entertaining. Personally, I'm not a huge fan because it can lead to unrealistic conversations and can be a bit hard to follow how characters reach certain conclusions, but it shouldn't bother most people. Fincher does a fantastic job directing as he does in all his films. This movie does hold similar "dark" tendencies to other Fincher-directed movies like Se7en and Fight Club, but there are definitely moments when The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo exceeds them. I cannot personally vouch for the movies accuracy to the original novel; however, I heard from my sister that she believed that for the most part it was close to the book, but there were a few parts where it wasn't and really confused her. Given Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's previous work in The Social Network, I had high hopes for the score of Fincher's latest. I can't necessarily say I was disappointed with the score, but it didn't fully immerse me like The Social Network's brilliant score. Given Lisbeth's detestable behavior and character, it's shows pure talent how Fincher is able to connect us with her and care about her, at all for that matter. And by the end, you'll really feel for her in the sequel preparing conclusion. With everything accounted, this movie definitely has some faults and some confusing moments, but I found it to be very entertaining (albeit very dark), gripping, and definitely not feeling like two and a half hours. But I must once again stress the point: DO NOT BRING KIDS TO THIS MOVIE. Expand
  95. Jan 22, 2012
    Well this movie, pretty much answers any cynics that it could never top the original. The director pretty much did not care and gave the movie a personality that makes an almost perfect thriller. It's weird that the changes from the original movie and the source of it all, make this a great movie, which is tidied up to focus on whose the killer rather than the bigger, more complicatedWell this movie, pretty much answers any cynics that it could never top the original. The director pretty much did not care and gave the movie a personality that makes an almost perfect thriller. It's weird that the changes from the original movie and the source of it all, make this a great movie, which is tidied up to focus on whose the killer rather than the bigger, more complicated picture. Craig and Plummer provide two great characters which are easy to like. Mara is great as well and provides a different side of Lisbeth than Repace. This movie can also sum up all of Fincher's work...this is how varied it all is. It could be almost perfect if it weren't for the final part. It opens up to the possibility of a trilogy and ends kind of stale, because the movie already climaxed and kind of doesn't want to end. Expand
  96. Dec 25, 2011
    Wonderful movie by one of the best directors of this generation. I especially enjoyed the intro. And to everyone saying how it's a remake I am pretty sure you are wrong. Yes I've seen the foreign one but I think this is simply the american interpretation of the book rather than a remake of the foreign film.
  97. Jan 2, 2012
    After a very slow and unfocused first hour(out of the 2.7 hours) the film engages and impresses. Is it better than the original, no. Does it take away from the original, no. It stands on it's own. Mara is fine, but not anything award-worthy.
  98. Jan 4, 2012
    Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

My first review on Metacritic and I couldn't be happier it's a David Fincher film. Not his best work, I'll reserve that for Fight Club and Se7en, but on par with his work on Zodiac and The Social Network. In fact, think of this as Zodiac with some flashes of Se7en depravity. Daniel Craig is solid as always but the film soars with Rooney Mara's
    Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

In fact, think of this as Zodiac with some flashes of Se7en depravity.

Daniel Craig is solid as always but the film soars with Rooney Mara's Lisbeth Salander. I literally couldn't keep my eyes off her. Yes, Noomi Rapace was also great in the French version, but Mara's Salander is much more damaged, more timid, and in turn, scarier.

Others have bemoaned the film's final act but I didn't mind it; mainly because of the final scene. Pitch perfect, and beautifully sets up the next film.
  99. Jan 18, 2012
    David Fincher never fails me, even including the underwhelming THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (2008) (which I think I seriously need a re-watch), the American remake of THWTDT is as excellent as its Swedish archetype if not excels in every aspect. Karen Oâ
  100. Jan 11, 2012
    Not nearly as dark as Id hoped, but a really great movie regardless. I can't wait to read the novel, which as always I hear is better. Someone said this is a remake of a foreign film; I saw this one on a lark with a friend the other day - had no idea!

1. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Dec 22, 2011
    Has much to recommend it - high-end craftsmanship, a singular heroine, a labyrinthine mystery, an intriguing milieu - yet lacks a vital spark.
    David Fincher's American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo adds nothing to the previous adaptation, but it's certainly the more evocative piece of filmmaking.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Dec 22, 2011
    From him (Fincher), we get – what? – a faithful adaptation that brings the dazzle but shortchanges on the daring.