The Godfather

9.1

1. StephenM
    Jan 13, 2005
    If you're interested in crime dramas like The Sopranos, then this film has its moments. For the rest of us, all the poignant double meanings and family-first morals simply can't save a film that isn't as entertaining or remarkable as everyone has built it up to be.
  2. OliverC.
    Jan 23, 2007
    It's pretty boring, all the characters are unlikable. It's hard to relate to a movie when all you want is for the main characters to stop doing things.
  3. JaysonB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    An okay movie, but not all it's cracked up to be. Watch Donnie-Darko or A Very Long Engagement. Those are real movies.
  4. Aug 20, 2012
    I watched it. Didn't like it. I found myself bored 30 minutes into the party scene at the start of the movie. Not as good as i thought it would be. I had a better time watching Goodfellas, The Departed, Scarface, Once Upon A Time In America. there good gangster movies. I just don't get why people love it so much.
  5. RyanM.
    Jan 9, 2009
    Good movie, but a bit over-rated. I do not think it deserves a 100 score.
  6. Aug 13, 2011
    Great script writing can't make up for it's boring storyline and slow pacing.
  7. PabloR.
    Jun 28, 2008
    Over rated!! WOW. Was that booooooring... Only reason it has a decent score is because i guess it was one of those boring movies that you don't like but since everyone thinks they're good.. "Its good." But it's not really good.
  8. JoshC
    Apr 8, 2007
    This movie isn't what i expected, I couldn't sit and watch it for 3 hours, true the acting was good but its 3 hours of boredom if you ask me.
  9. PhilipB
    Aug 26, 2009
    The first part is ok, but kept falling asleep for the rest of it, and never even made it to part three. One of the most boring movies I've ever tried to sit through.
  10. PatR
    Dec 30, 2009
    It's funny. I just read Zach B's comment. And guess what buddy? I was born in 1994. So take that. Anyway, I thought this movie was okay. I'm sure it was good at the time, but should it really be considered the greatest film of all time? Films like Die Hard were good at the time, and are STILL good today, and yet no one considers THAT the greatest movie of all time. It's funny. I just read Zach B's comment. And guess what buddy? I was born in 1994. So take that. Anyway, I thought this movie was okay. I'm sure it was good at the time, but should it really be considered the greatest film of all time? Films like Die Hard were good at the time, and are STILL good today, and yet no one considers THAT the greatest movie of all time. Godfather, in general, seems very tame compared to many modern films such as Changeling. I can understand why adults think it's the greatest film of all time, but it just isn't my cup of tea. I never did like classic films unless they have something good in them other then the fact that they're classic. Expand
  11. AndrewK.
    Jul 20, 2006
    This is the movie that everybody argues is better than Scarface? Scarface blows this dumbass movie to hell. This is a true borefest.
  12. William
    Mar 3, 2005
    Over rated, but the again so is every movie that wins an oscar.
  13. Mar 27, 2012
    I've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superiorI've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superior sequel, Robert Duvall's role consists almost entirely of standing around looking mildly concerned. Early scenes with Brando are effective enough, but not a whole lot else is. That curly-haired guy gets shot by a whole buncha guys later on and some friends asked me if I understood how and why the ambush happened as though I could possibly care why it happened or who he was. I heard one person complain that the film 'insists on itself', but it seemed to me more like it didn't even care it existed. At the moment, this movie has nearly five hundred and fifty thousand votes on I.M.D.B., but 'Goodfellas' has only three hundred and twenty-five thousand and 'Casino' barely over a hundred and fifty thousand. Sad. But Francis Ford went on to make an infinitely better film only seven years later, and his daughter an unutterably better one three decades later, and so the Family thrives. Expand
  14. ShawnM.
    Nov 23, 2006
    Mumbling Brando is what he should be called. I just didn't see what the big deal was about. I like period movies, dramas, etc., so I thought I would love this film. It left me completely unmoved. Which made it even more confusing - why the raving critical praise? So I rated it below grade because I felt my time was robbed from me. I've seen better crime films and dramas.
  15. BobN
    Jul 29, 2009
    Godfather is NOT the best film ever made (waiting for the plague.) Highly over praised. It is exactly like Apocolypse Now- has moments of greatness- but holy crap is it boring. Brando is commical. Pacino is Pacino starring as Pacino in the role of Pacino. I think people love this film soley due to the title: Godfather. Imgaine if the film was called: Second Cousin, or Younger Sister. Godfather is NOT the best film ever made (waiting for the plague.) Highly over praised. It is exactly like Apocolypse Now- has moments of greatness- but holy crap is it boring. Brando is commical. Pacino is Pacino starring as Pacino in the role of Pacino. I think people love this film soley due to the title: Godfather. Imgaine if the film was called: Second Cousin, or Younger Sister. Nope, had to go with God. Anyways, yeah, this movie...it's an overbloated corpse floating in an L.A. drain pipe...interesting to look at but not for too long. Expand
  16. BenG
    Jun 20, 2005
    To Rick C at the bottom of this page - You love it, i don't. You have your opinion and i'll have mine. You are ignorant. The Godfather is a good film but just too long and massively over rated. 6/10.
  17. KentC.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Not for everyone. It certainly doesn't deserve a 0, but it wasn't one of my favorite movies of all time. You really have to be interested in the genre. I tried watching it for the full 3 hours, but couldn't. I found it pretty boring, despite fantastic acting. People will probably assume that I like bloody, mindless action movies, which isn't true. I love classic films, Not for everyone. It certainly doesn't deserve a 0, but it wasn't one of my favorite movies of all time. You really have to be interested in the genre. I tried watching it for the full 3 hours, but couldn't. I found it pretty boring, despite fantastic acting. People will probably assume that I like bloody, mindless action movies, which isn't true. I love classic films, but found this to be a bit tedious. Watching it in segments helps, but make sure that you don't do anything else that will distract you from the movie (reading a magazine, talking on the phone, etc) as you really need to be paying attention for 100% of the movie to fully understand it. Expand
  18. JasonC.
    Mar 22, 2003
    It's ok but not as good as its hype, Godfather II or Goodfellas. When it first came out it was probably the dog's danglies but better films have been made since.
  19. DemonicAngel
    Jan 22, 2006
    I wanted to like this movie, I really did, but after two hours of watching unmoved and unengaged, I switched off the TV. A masterpiece it may be, but I didn't find it particularly entertaining.
  20. Aug 4, 2012
    You know how when a friend is telling you a personal anecdote that he thinks is hilarious, but you don't find very funny, he'll say "you had to have been there." That's kind of how I feel about The Godfather. By the time I watched this movie I'd seen so many impersonations of Don Corleone and parodies that it all felt almost comical. Putting all that aside (if that's even possible), IYou know how when a friend is telling you a personal anecdote that he thinks is hilarious, but you don't find very funny, he'll say "you had to have been there." That's kind of how I feel about The Godfather. By the time I watched this movie I'd seen so many impersonations of Don Corleone and parodies that it all felt almost comical. Putting all that aside (if that's even possible), I still didn't enjoy this movie. I found myself checking how much more I had to sit through multiple times. And having seen what Al Pacino is capable of, he seems very wooden in this. My conclusion is that if you managed to see this movie before pop culture appropriated it and fed you their versions, then you'll likely love it. If like me you weren't around in the 70's, you might not get that much from it. In other words, you had to have been there. Expand
  21. Mike
    Feb 14, 2005
    Finally got to see this movie for the first time and I was really disappointed! I couldnt believe it. The movie does have some good moments. But its just isnt enough for the high critical accalim it recieved.
  22. Oct 28, 2013
    It's hard to find a moment in the film that isn't great. The Godfather lives up to the term masterpiece. The greatest gangster film ever made. Coppola offers a rich and layered look at family and does so with an incredible cast and a meticulous amount of detail. My FAVORITE MOVIE EVER MADE.
  23. Feb 18, 2015
    Good movie but so overrated! What's wrong with these people giving this movie a 10 out of 10? For real, this movie was ok but it was really boring as well.
  24. Apr 17, 2015
    I don't know what people see in this movie because it's so boring and non-sense. I don't even saw the 2nd and 3rd movie because this is really anoying.

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.