9.0

1. Jan 29, 2012
    Its one of the greatest films of all time for a reason. The acting is amazing, The story telling is great. It has a few minor flaws (such as when Sunny beats up Connie's husband, that was a terrible fight scene). Yet all the minor flaws are completely forgetable because the movie is that good.
  2. Jan 6, 2015
    (I apologize for not reviewing this trilogy sooner, but I wanted to wait until I have seen all of them)

"Leave the gun; take the cannolis." The first of The Godfather trilogy is one of the best mafia movies of all time. In fact, it is so accurate in its portrayal of mob families that actual mafia people confirmed it. The acting, especially between Marlon Brando and Al Pacino is electrifying. Almost everything in the movie is believable, and the screenplay is close to flawless. The Godfather definitely deserves all the praise it gets, and is in no way overrated.
  3. Aug 27, 2014
    When it comes to The Godfather, there is no matching it. No mafioso gangster film will ever be able to surpass it. It's devastating action and complex family moments are intricately designed. A classic and an unparalleled ensemble.
  4. Oct 28, 2013
    It's hard to find a moment in the film that isn't great. The Godfather lives up to the term masterpiece. The greatest gangster film ever made. Coppola offers a rich and layered look at family and does so with an incredible cast and a meticulous amount of detail. My FAVORITE MOVIE EVER MADE.
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    A ceaselessly compelling and undeniably perfect film with unforgettable iconography and legendary performances everywhere. Classic.
  6. Sep 10, 2011
    "The Godfather" is one of the few gangster films that connects the members of the Mafia as a family. The cinematography is rich and the music is perfect. However, I failed to see how Marlon Brando's performance was top notch. His acting was decent; he did not move much nor talk much. His voice also was barely understandable due to his croaking voice mumbling what sounded like English."The Godfather" is one of the few gangster films that connects the members of the Mafia as a family. The cinematography is rich and the music is perfect. However, I failed to see how Marlon Brando's performance was top notch. His acting was decent; he did not move much nor talk much. His voice also was barely understandable due to his croaking voice mumbling what sounded like English. Ultimately "The Godfather" still stands up as the best movie in the American crime genre. Expand
  7. Jun 23, 2014
    I'd never seen the Godfather prior to this weekend. A friend of mine asked how I can consider myself a movie reviewer, when I haven't even seen the film that is widely considered to be the best of all-time. He had a point, so I decided to rent it and my verdict is it. While the Godfather is a tremendous epic drama, I really don't see how it is considered to be the best film ever made. It'sI'd never seen the Godfather prior to this weekend. A friend of mine asked how I can consider myself a movie reviewer, when I haven't even seen the film that is widely considered to be the best of all-time. He had a point, so I decided to rent it and my verdict is it. While the Godfather is a tremendous epic drama, I really don't see how it is considered to be the best film ever made. It's a great story, with a superstar cast, which set the genre for all the mafia films that followed, but that in and of itself means the film is going to have problems. As with other mafia films, it's difficult to keep track of who's who in the large cast. It also moves rather quickly and viewers like myself are going to have a very difficult time of trying to follow the erratic timeline of the film. Some parts move at a snails pace, while other just fly by, and what is with the music? The soundtrack is almost as acclaimed as the film, but honestly if I had to hear that song one more time, during this three hour epic, I may have gone out and killed someone myself. For those unfamiliar with the story, it follows the evolution of the Corleone family, as they transition from one leader to the next. The story is fantastic and is the furthest thing from predictable that you will ever find. It is filed with classic scenes and renowned performance from Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, but I really have a hard time calling such a complicated story with that much violence, the best of all-time. The Godfather is a terrific movie, and I'm glad that I finally got to see it, but in a word, the film is overrated. Expand
  8. Apr 19, 2013
    How somebody could not give this a 10/10 is beyond me. This is easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, and everybody else were fantastic in their roles and Francis Ford Coppola outdid himself here.
  9. j30
    Feb 13, 2012
    You hear all this hype surrounding The Godfather, such as "it's a masterpiece," and the movie is included in countless critics and moviegoers top 10 movies of all time. I'm afraid they're right. The movie is a masterpiece and a beautiful piece of art that surpasses most films I have ever seen. From a technical standpoint it's flawless.
  10. Aug 22, 2013
    Artful, visually and historically realistic, Francis Ford Coppola makes his mark as his epic saga depicts in clear detail the dramatic story of a mafia family and it's struggles with the conflicts of other families in the heart of crime-filled New York City
  11. Aug 7, 2013
    Films like The Godfather are the reason i have a lifelong passion and love for film. A combination of writing, acting, cinematography and a thoroughly engrossing plot have undoubtedly created one of the greatest pieces of cinema, point blank. A mixture of drama, thrill, crime and even comic value have been masterfully scripted into a film so full of suspense and charm that it undeniablyFilms like The Godfather are the reason i have a lifelong passion and love for film. A combination of writing, acting, cinematography and a thoroughly engrossing plot have undoubtedly created one of the greatest pieces of cinema, point blank. A mixture of drama, thrill, crime and even comic value have been masterfully scripted into a film so full of suspense and charm that it undeniably crosses the mind of ever film fanatic or casual movie lover out there.
    Each and every scene of the film is carefully filmed to create a whole different world for the viewer to get involved in, these scenes are intense, personal, but most importantly, completely focused on who is onscreen, each character has their moment, and they each make their mark on this legendary film. Perhaps the man who left the biggest mark was Marlon Brando, who plays the titular character, an underworld crime family boss who we are introduced to as an over the shoulder view, he scratches his face with the back of his fingers, he rolls his eyes, strokes his cat and talks in a muffled tone, all through the brilliance of Brando, who used cotton wool to perfect the speech, and rolled with a cat running on set, something not scripted, but perfect for the character Brando created, the everlasting memory of Vito Corleone, a man that when he opens his mouth, a respectable silence falls upon the film, acting at its best. We are at his daughters wedding as the film opens, from this there is a message set for the film, family, a man who doesn't spend time wit his family can never be a man" says Vito, one of the many quotes which made the film so memorable, but it also shows the true heart of the film, each of the sons this man has fathered look out for each other and all take part in the family 'business'.
    This business is told as a memorable reflection from Michael, played in perfectly calm but conflicted fashion by Al Pacino, who is the family member not quite sure what he wants, not part of the business, but suited for it. We are immediately thrust into the struggles of each crime family as they attempt to get stakes in a new market, something which Vito refuses to be a part of, put also something that almost costs him his life. With this, the eldest and hot-headed son steps forward, Sonny (James Caan) who ignores the wishes of the consigliere Tom (Robert Duvall) and seeks revenge on those who wronged his family.
    In the midst of all this there is a warming tone of a film, with some truly touching performances and some unforgettable turns as gangsters in 1940s New York. James Caan is well casted as the good-naturedbut short-tempered Sonny, who wants power, but also seems to want whats best for most of his family. But its Al Pacino and Marlon Brando who excel the film to remarkable achievements, Brando creates a character that simply couldn't be replicated or remade, and Pacino plays a conflicted but right-minded youngest brother, he gets what he wants and Pacino shows excellence in his eyes and confident speaking.
    A true journey of emotion, heartache, acceptance and love, the film explores all areas of what it means to be true to oneself, but also to forgive and forget, this is a truly remarkable feat and a masterful film that has given us some of the most memorable characters we have ever known, but also set a standard in the film industry as a force to be reckoned with, even as the years since its release tick on.
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    This film is a masterpiece. Has great plot, fabulous actors and magnificent story. I liked it a lot. The film on the restaurant is really good. I liked it in general but i think it's over-rated too. Though it's a good film and a must-see
  13. Nov 29, 2011
    This movie is easily one of the greatest ,if not the greatest, movies of all time. From start to finish, The Godfather is as perfect as perfect can get.
  14. Nov 26, 2011
    There is a reason why its considered one of the greatest films of all time. The Godfather is as near perfect as perfect can be and its great from start to finish.
  15. Apr 24, 2015
    Rarely can it be said that a film has defined a genre, but never is that more true than in the case of The Godfather. Since the release of the 1972 epic (which garnered ten Academy Award nominations and was named Best Picture), all "gangster movies" have been judged by the standards of this one (unfair as the comparison may be). If a film is about Jewish mobsters, it's a "JewishRarely can it be said that a film has defined a genre, but never is that more true than in the case of The Godfather. Since the release of the 1972 epic (which garnered ten Academy Award nominations and was named Best Picture), all "gangster movies" have been judged by the standards of this one (unfair as the comparison may be). If a film is about Jewish mobsters, it's a "Jewish Godfather"; if it's about the Chinese underworld, it's an "Oriental Godfather"; if it takes place in contemporary times, it's a "modern day Godfather."

If The Godfather was only about gun-toting Mafia types, it would never have garnered as many accolades. The characteristic that sets this film apart from so many of its predecessors and successors is its ability to weave the often-disparate layers of story into a cohesive whole. Any of the individual issues explored by The Godfather are strong enough to form the foundation of a movie. Here, however, bolstered by so many complimentary themes, each is given added resonance. The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion.

Rarely does a film tell as many diverse-yet-interconnected stories. Strong performances, solid directing, and a tightly-plotted script all contribute to The Godfather's success. This motion picture was not slapped together to satiate the appetite of the masses; it was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual. Stereotypes did not influence Coppola's film, although certain ones were formed as a result of it.

Despite the likes of Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface, ...And Justice for All, and Scent of a Woman on his resume, Pacino is best remembered for the role he created in The Godfather (and subsequently reprised in two sequels). While this is not his most demonstrative performance - indeed, he is exceptionally restrained - the quality of the script makes Michael Corleone notable.

Don Vito is a most complicated gangster. In his own words, he is not a killer, and he never mixes business with personal matters. He puts family first ("A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man") and despises displays of weakness. He understands the burden of power, and his wordless sympathy for Michael when he is forced to assume the "throne", is one of The Godfather's most revealing moments (about both father and son).

Family responsibility. A father's legacy. The need to earn respect. The corrupting influence of power. These are some of the ingredients combined in Francis Ford Coppola's cinematic blender. They are themes which have intrigued the greatest authors of every medium through the centuries.

Although the issues presented in The Godfather are universal in scope, the characters and setting are decidedly ethnic. Even to this day, there is an odd romanticism associated with New York's Italian crime families. The word "Mafia" conjures up images of the sinister and mysterious - scenes of the sort where Luca Brasi meets his fate. Francis Ford Coppola has tapped into this fascination and woven it as yet another element of the many that make his motion picture a compelling experience.

We come to The Godfather like Kay Adams - outsiders uncertain in our expectations - but it doesn't take long for us to be captivated by this intricate, violent world. The film can be viewed on many levels, with equal satisfaction awaiting those who just want a good story, and those who demand much more. The Godfather is long, yes - but it is one-hundred seventy minutes well-spent. When the closing credits roll, only a portion of the story has been told. Yet that last haunting image (Kay's shock of recognition), coupled with Nino Rota's mournful score, leaves a crater-like impression that The Godfather Part II only deepens.
  16. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    The Godfather is a really really good movie. Through the 175 minutes of The Godfather, there is never a part that is boring or doesn't make any sense.
  17. Mar 6, 2014
    Inspired by the Five Families of New York City, The Godfather tells the story of how the Corleones are pushed against the wall by their rivals and other upcoming gangsters who want to make money by sources Don Vito deems beneath him, and their retaliation and its consequences. Alliances are formed in secret, murders are plotted, enemies are butchered or blown to pieces without remorse.Inspired by the Five Families of New York City, The Godfather tells the story of how the Corleones are pushed against the wall by their rivals and other upcoming gangsters who want to make money by sources Don Vito deems beneath him, and their retaliation and its consequences. Alliances are formed in secret, murders are plotted, enemies are butchered or blown to pieces without remorse.

Don Vito (Marlon Brando) and his sons Sonny (James Caan) and Michael (Al Pacino) are the main characters. The actors bringing them to life have succeeded in their jobs so supremely that these characters have become the stuff of legend. Don Vito's backstory from the novel was pushed into The Godfather Part II, and that was a practical decision as the movie was already three hours long. Sonny and Michael display their acumen for running criminal activities when the reins are handed to them in their turn. Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall) is the consigliere, or the most trusted adviser, of the Don.

We are transported from 1940s NYC ripe with Mafia bosses one-upping each other, to Sicily and Las Vegas. The characters are never shown to traverse great expanses of land or sea in search of destiny or whatever. Neither are they shown to be engaging in life-or-death situations where they have to come out on top using their wits or physical strength or endurance. But the change of settings does meet the requirements of the epic genre. Even though we don't get to see large scale gunfights or something like that, the fact that the Corleones are in all these places helps to form that opinion. The story is essentially about a single family, and you get the impression that the message here is that family is important, and that the lengths you're willing to go to to protect them knows no bounds.

The Corleones' peace is fazed when a gangster offers them a deal in drugs. Don Vito expresses his disgust and refuses. This triggers an unexpected ploy for gaining power and upper hand and turns the conflict into a fully fledged gang war. Some characters are displaced, forced to take up arms, or caught in the crossfire. Another calamity strikes when things seem to have cooled down. Finally, the Corleones deal with their enemies effectively and ruthlessly. The victory is theirs, but if it is worth it is for the audience to decide.

The Godfather's success lies in its rich story and characters. Often times, great stories come about by accident. The setting complements the plot and the characters, and becoming a character itself, creates a blend that is greater than the sum of its parts. These characters and plot could quite easily have worked in a medieval setting of dynasties warring for control over a kingdom, or any other setting for that matter, but the fact that the setting was New York City and the control over the city meant control over the most lucrative criminal activities, which is a decadent scheme, and immediately paints even the good guys in a bad light, was what in my opinion made The Godfather much more intriguing and enduring.

There are many enemies to deal with. The film doesn't develop them at all. The Corleones are the only ones who are explored and developed as characters. At first it seems like it is a story of a group of people who have virtually everything they could ever want and the film would only chronicle their exploits as they vanquish this enemy and that. This changes as we move forward and witness the bloodshed.

No good movie can come into being without good plotting, believable characterization, classy cinematography and memorable dialogue, and here it is all brought together nigh perfectly. The production design was impressive. The houses and their interiors, and the cars and costumes were fascinating and left me with a desire to be able to witness that world firsthand. The secondary characters may not have seemed to be given much screen time to develop them but the cast is so huge that if they had done it the movie would have been at least an hour longer. The score is so simple and true to the story that you don't need me to tell you that it may be the most memorable score ever.

A lot of time is spent in contemplation and silence, as the characters decide what the best course of action should be in response to a particular problem. The dialogue fleshes out the characters very well. The Godfather is essentially a film that looks into the lives of the gangsters at the top of the hierarchy. We only see the comings and goings, and not the handiwork, of the men who carry out the orders of their bosses. No shootouts during the gang war are shown. The intrigue that directly affects the main characters is in itself so destructive and deadly that not once the exclusion of the ordinary mobsters bother me in any way.

The Godfather cannot be dismissed as being merely about a mob family and a bunch of criminals. Given his later career, I think it's safe to venture that Coppola was born to make this movie.
  18. Feb 14, 2014
    This film was amazing. With great and true honesty it was, however I do believe it might be overrated just a bit. I liked it. From start to finish the story line was enough to keep someone watching. Without a doubt one of the greatest films I've seen. But In my opinion overrated.
  19. Mar 26, 2015
    Such a freaking classic. Don Vito Corleone: You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you? Or my boy to me?. the godfather to me is a bloody brilliant masterpiece of a film and people may say it is not they cup of tea and am okay with that but this movie changed the way that I thought of movies, the story is about a man called Don Vito Corleone who has this bigSuch a freaking classic. Don Vito Corleone: You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you? Or my boy to me?. the godfather to me is a bloody brilliant masterpiece of a film and people may say it is not they cup of tea and am okay with that but this movie changed the way that I thought of movies, the story is about a man called Don Vito Corleone who has this big family and big friends and all in the middle of all of that the family and friends don't know that he works with the gangsters, The acting is out of this world and the music is so chilling and moving with a gangster feel mixed with it, R.I.P. Marlon Brando you beautiful man your brilliant actor bring us a strong Character in the movie that you deserved more then one Oscar and this movie deserved more then 3 Oscars it deserved 10 Oscars that's how good to movie is. Expand
  20. Aug 22, 2010
    this is a great film . its basically the story of the old generation of the mob being taking over by the new younger generation. great performances are done by all . the story telling is pretty well done all be it there are some slow downs where things seem they drag on abit to long and gets alittle dull. for the most part though its a entertaining story that will be wached for years to come .
  21. Feb 10, 2013
    Absolutely an amazing film. With spectacular acting by a marvelous cast and amazing filming by Coppola. The use of shadows in this film in itself is a visual spectacle. This film shows an amazing glimpse into the life of the early 20th century mafia. A true classic that everyone should watch.
  22. Mar 9, 2013
    One of the best ever, strong at every level whether its from directing to any pinch of make-up it suceeds.
  23. Jan 18, 2014
    Everybody knows how good The Godfather is meant to be, and while the 100% may not be fully justified it is definitely a work of surpassing excellence. Francis Ford Coppola perfectly chronicles the late life of Don Vito Corleone also known as The Godfather. Simply witnessing all of the hugely famous scenes and impeccably written lines is an enjoyable experience. Yes it goes on for 3 hoursEverybody knows how good The Godfather is meant to be, and while the 100% may not be fully justified it is definitely a work of surpassing excellence. Francis Ford Coppola perfectly chronicles the late life of Don Vito Corleone also known as The Godfather. Simply witnessing all of the hugely famous scenes and impeccably written lines is an enjoyable experience. Yes it goes on for 3 hours but sitting through the whole thing is undeniably worth it. Some scenes are much more gripping than others, basically Marlon Brando's screen time is the best thing about it. However every second is interesting and almost deserves the 100%, I found it to be masterfully acted and with some brilliant direction, but the most impressive aspect of The Godfather is undoubtedly how engaging every second is despite going on for 180 minutes. I would say it's worth watching but it's cult status ensures you were going to anyway. Expand
  24. Mar 4, 2011
    I saw it on TV so it was a lot less violent. It is the definitive mafia movie, even if they were never allowed to say the word. The mafia would not have liked it.
  25. Jan 9, 2012
    Qu'il est bon de voir et revoir ce chef-d'oeuvre qu'est incontestablement Le Parrain! Ce film qui surpasse tout long-métrage racontant des histoires mafieuses (Scarface, Donnie Brasco, Les Affranchis...) qui ont été réalisés jusqu'à ce jour. Il est sûr que le rythme de ce Parrain estQu'il est bon de voir et revoir ce chef-d'oeuvre qu'est incontestablement Le Parrain! Ce film qui surpasse tout long-métrage racontant des histoires mafieuses (Scarface, Donnie Brasco, Les Affranchis...) qui ont été réalisés jusqu'à ce jour. Il est sûr que le rythme de ce Parrain est plutôt lent (sans compter sa durée de 2h58), mais c'est justement cela qui fait son charme : pendant 3h, on se préoccupe bien plus du destin d'une famille de la mafia plutôt que de ses agissements violents et inégaux. Ainsi, les protagonistes sont travaillés, écrits et interprétés à la perfection! Mais Le Parrain peut également compter sur sa bande son et sa mise en scène (jeux de lumière, photographie, décors, costumes, maquillages...) qui le rendent authentique et envoûtant de bout en bout. Un véritable pilier du cinéma! Expand
  26. Sep 30, 2014
    Absolutely brilliant! That is all I can say! This is in my top 10...this film is perfection! A classic! If you haven't watch it yet, you have to do it! I could expand and say more but I don't really want to...judge yourself!
  27. May 25, 2012
    I must say, this is one of the best films of all time. There is nothing wrong with it. The plot is fantastic, the characters are very flowing. Al Pacino's performance is outstanding, there's nothing I can say to him. One of the best masterpieces of Francis Ford Coppola.....
  28. Aug 30, 2013
    The Godfather is a very good movie. If there were not many dialogues in this film I would have rated it with 9. It's not for 10 I think. And, it's 3 hours. You can see that it's getting boring in some parts of the film. The best movie of the trilogy was the second.
  29. Jan 1, 2015
    The Godfather is a 1972 American crime film directed by Francis Ford Coppola and produced by Albert S. Ruddy from a screenplay by Mario Puzo and Coppola. Starring Marlon Brando and Al Pacino as the leaders of a fictional New York crime family, the story spans the years 1945-55, concentrating on the transformation of Michael Corleone from reluctant family outsider to ruthless Mafia bossThe Godfather is a 1972 American crime film directed by Francis Ford Coppola and produced by Albert S. Ruddy from a screenplay by Mario Puzo and Coppola. Starring Marlon Brando and Al Pacino as the leaders of a fictional New York crime family, the story spans the years 1945-55, concentrating on the transformation of Michael Corleone from reluctant family outsider to ruthless Mafia boss while chronicling the Corleones under the patriarch Vito. Expand
  30. Jan 26, 2012
    Listen up naysayers. Yeah. It does deserve a perfect score. Family. This film gives new definition to the word. The love that the Corleones have for each other in this film is so strong, yet it is also complicated. With a family business that is built upon a foundation of violence, the Corleones are destined for tragedy. Starring Marlon Brando as the Don, and Al Pacino as his son, Michael,Listen up naysayers. Yeah. It does deserve a perfect score. Family. This film gives new definition to the word. The love that the Corleones have for each other in this film is so strong, yet it is also complicated. With a family business that is built upon a foundation of violence, the Corleones are destined for tragedy. Starring Marlon Brando as the Don, and Al Pacino as his son, Michael, this film is the unquestionable magnum opus of Francis Ford Coppola. This is the premier mafia motion picture. Expand
  31. Jan 12, 2013
    The best movie in Metacritic really is a great movie. Francis Ford Coppola made and aced a great film which is better than his sequels. Really well thought and made into a top hit Mafia-detective movie. One of Ford's best movies.
  32. Nov 23, 2013
    this is absolutely one of the best movies i've ever saw in my hole life,it have brilliant actings and an outstanding script,it deserves more oscars than just 3 prizes.
  33. Jan 23, 2015
    One of the greatest crime films ever made. This is what I call golden cinema. The Godfather is dripping with powerful ideas, it's a very poetic depiction of the mafia and the camera movements are simply stunning. The entire cast deliver stunning performances. And most notably, it's a very very unconventionally structured film. This is a masterpiece.
  34. Jan 28, 2011
    An excellent adapted script, an unforgettable ensemble, an amazing score, excellent quotes, and unforgettable moments, The Godfather is nothing short of a masterpiece!
  35. Apr 4, 2013
    It's easy to see why this is the highest rated film. The acting is on another level, the directing is not only gripping and atmospheric but it doesn't cut from one thing to another. Everything that's important is shown, all the dialogue, all the detail. The story is obviously what makes this film so great. Although not an action movie, some of the scenes make the typical modern HollywoodIt's easy to see why this is the highest rated film. The acting is on another level, the directing is not only gripping and atmospheric but it doesn't cut from one thing to another. Everything that's important is shown, all the dialogue, all the detail. The story is obviously what makes this film so great. Although not an action movie, some of the scenes make the typical modern Hollywood blockbuster look laughable. The film is not only well-directed and clever, but also easy to follow. The story isn't over-complicated with a bundle of events which have no connection. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because it's over 3 hours, and for a film that long you'd expect more to happen. The film can be cut down by about half an hour without losing any narrative or quality. Expand
  36. May 19, 2013
    Violent, well scripted and large, this classic American recounts a dark period in the history of america so perfect and convincing with perfect performances from all his cast this movie will likely be immortal.
  37. Nov 2, 2014
    What can be said? 'The Godfather' is one of the masterpieces of cinema, where every element is perfected and congeals to create something that is a work of art - the score, aesthetics, characterisation, directing, script and acting. It catapulted Francis Ford Coppola to the forefront of the New Hollywood wave, was the breakthrough for such stars as Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall,What can be said? 'The Godfather' is one of the masterpieces of cinema, where every element is perfected and congeals to create something that is a work of art - the score, aesthetics, characterisation, directing, script and acting. It catapulted Francis Ford Coppola to the forefront of the New Hollywood wave, was the breakthrough for such stars as Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Talia Shire, Diane Keaton etc. and cemented Marlon Brando's status in the pantheon of cinematic legends, though his work as Vito Corleone here is more supporting than leading. There is dissent over whether this is rightly considered to be one of the greatest movies of all time. For me, it is not the greatest movie but is among them and the length is certainly felt - when first watched, 'The Godfather' is a draining experience. But it ages well with repeat viewings. It meets the definition of classic and then some. It is memorable and masterful. If Part II overshadows it, it is only because Part I was so damn great nobody thought it could be topped. Expand
  38. Apr 9, 2011
    Fantastic film, although rather overrated. The characters are almost perfect, the story is almost perfect, and the dialogue is almost perfect. Everything else is just good. No more, no less.
  39. Dec 12, 2013
    I would say The Godfather is very overrated. It has terribly tedious delivery, and is basically just three hours of guys in suits sitting at a table talking about business.
  40. Jul 18, 2011
    As epic as you can possibly get. Combined with Part II (I recommend watching back to back in one sitting), there is no way you can top the film-making here. Some of the most memorable characters and dialogue to ever hit the silver screen. Marlon Brando's career was gold even before this, but this applies him for sainthood. Robert Duvall and James Caan are fantastic and Al Pacino broodsAs epic as you can possibly get. Combined with Part II (I recommend watching back to back in one sitting), there is no way you can top the film-making here. Some of the most memorable characters and dialogue to ever hit the silver screen. Marlon Brando's career was gold even before this, but this applies him for sainthood. Robert Duvall and James Caan are fantastic and Al Pacino broods well among these great actors. Francis Ford Coppola created a masterpiece here (and then he did it again with Apocalypse Now). It's possible he owned the 70's. Expand
  41. Dec 28, 2011
    Like Babe Ruth is to baseball, like John Steinbeck is to writing, their is no doubt about it, The Godfather is the greatest film of all time. Never before have we seen performances so stellar, by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and everyone else! The Godfather has little life lessons everywhere. Along with an engaging plot, that just completes the most criticallyLike Babe Ruth is to baseball, like John Steinbeck is to writing, their is no doubt about it, The Godfather is the greatest film of all time. Never before have we seen performances so stellar, by Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, and everyone else! The Godfather has little life lessons everywhere. Along with an engaging plot, that just completes the most critically acclaimed film of all time. The Godfather is Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece. Expand
  42. Apr 29, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like the modern Shakespearean tragedy, the Godfather is very symbolic in storytelling that out bests other great movies before and after. The story about the loss of innocence caused by the life of the mafia and loyalty to the family. Its one of those few films that is still clashing with Citizen Kane as the greatest film ever made.

Marlon Brando plays his iconic role well as the Mafia Don Vito Corleone of the Corleone family, a wealthy and powerful family crime syndicate, who falls into despair when his idealistic younger son Michael, in a chilling performance by Al Pacino, decides to turn away from a bright life, when other rival drug lords and fellow gangster organizations declare war against them, and the ending is tragically unbearable as Michael's life of idealism is corrupted by greed, power,and violence as Vito lays dying from the wounds of his assassination attempts.

A film so utterly powerful and legendarily well told, its one of those rare films that has a powerful story and well domineering performances that makes it so great, it is the reason why its talked about everywhere. Francis Ford Coppola has made his mark in cinema history bringing Mario Puzo's shocking gangster fictional novel into a monument of pure entertainment.

A fine film featuring additional A+ performances by Robert Duvall, James Caan, Talia Shire, Diane Keaton and the late John Cazale as Michael's friends who are divided emotionally by innocence and gangster-hood, a important element that makes this a film shadowed with irony and grief.

a important masterpiece of life and sin

and if thought it couldn't be any more tragic wait till you see part 2
  43. Feb 24, 2012
    Whenever I asked if this was a good film or not, I either heard it was extremely good or "I haven't seen it but yeah, it's good'. And when I finally found the time to sit through it, I couldn't believe what I had been missing. This is the greatest crime film I've have ever seen. Everything from the directing and acting to the soundtrack and, even thought its over two hours, the pacing.
  44. Aug 19, 2014
    El Padrino ya es un clásico del cine. Sin duda una gran película y la mejor de las tres por varias razones:
    Marlon Brando (que se marca un papelón), Al Pacino, que en mi opinión está mejor que en las dos siguientes por su papel de iniciado en el mundo mafioso, y la trama, creo que tiene un punto interesante que a la 2 le faltó y no digamos ya a la 3. Se puede hacer algo pesada por su duración, pero tiene grandes escenas y diálogos poderosos.
  45. May 16, 2015
    Very good film, resonating and thematically legendary. It is a little slow for my taste, but even though it's very long Godfather is dramatically near perfect.
  46. Oct 15, 2012
    I forget The Godfather is in my list of masterpiece Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). The Silence of the Lambs (1991) . 12 Angry Men (1957). To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) . Scarface (1983). Seven (1995) .
  47. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupidBest movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Expand
  48. Dec 6, 2011
    To simply put it, The Godfather is an film that is honed to prefection. It is so good that I no longer have words to describe how amazing the film is. Pure greatness. The Godfather gets just about everything right in this compelling masterpiece that will be forever remembered and emulated, the godfather of modern films. I can see why this film is so big, so revolutionary, so influential.To simply put it, The Godfather is an film that is honed to prefection. It is so good that I no longer have words to describe how amazing the film is. Pure greatness. The Godfather gets just about everything right in this compelling masterpiece that will be forever remembered and emulated, the godfather of modern films. I can see why this film is so big, so revolutionary, so influential. No other film stands a chance against this monster of a film. The acting is top-notch and the plot, the plot is amazing with a crime-epic tale that will always be remembered, immortalized forever. Al Pacino and Marlon Brando give stellar performances in their greatest movie ever. The amount of emotion in The Godfather is amazing too as the you clearly feel each character's emotion and are drawn into it. The moments staying forever in your mind because it is so amazing. The Godfather reinvents the way I look at movies, my view of them has changed forever as I see how masterful this film is. It crushes every other film, no other film will ever come close to knocking The Godfather off its pedestal of greatness. Flaws, this sounds mundane but I cannot say it any other way, there are like ZERO flaws in the film. I scrutinized but could not find any at all. The good aspects deeply mask the film's bad aspects so a perfect movie has been created in a sense, that is amazing. I have not given a movie a perfect 10 out of 10, I have not seen a movie worthy of the all-time high but that changes with The Godfather and it is well deserved. Overall, The Godfather is a flat-out amazing film that will always be beast and smoke every other movie out there, this film will be a film that everyone will mention when asked "what do you think are the greatest movies of all time?". The Godfather is pure perfection of films honed to the highest aspects. This is not a great movie, this is a revolutionary film, I love it. Breakdown for "The Godfather": Presentation: 10, Plot: 10, Acting: 10, Script: 10, Lasting Appeal: 10, Verdict: 10 out of 10, "Masterpiece", the best movie I have ever seen. Expand
  49. Oct 19, 2010
    The Godfather is a classic because it is a damn great movie. You can argue forever about issues of it glorifying the Mafia etc. but what it does do is glorify the concept of family. A great cast led by Marlon Brando, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Al Pacino, it boasts an incredible soundtrack as well. Slow and not very action packed, it may not appeal too well to most modern audiences todayThe Godfather is a classic because it is a damn great movie. You can argue forever about issues of it glorifying the Mafia etc. but what it does do is glorify the concept of family. A great cast led by Marlon Brando, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Al Pacino, it boasts an incredible soundtrack as well. Slow and not very action packed, it may not appeal too well to most modern audiences today but this should stand as one of the greatest films of all time. Expand
  50. Nov 4, 2014
    This movie is fantastic, but it is old. I say that because I mean to say that it is of a style that's not so popular any more in Hollywood movies, where tone and feel take priority over raw action. So if you need action on a drip feed to avoid falling asleep then this movie isn't for your situation. It's a methodical story, over a long time period, and even is a little fuzzy on how muchThis movie is fantastic, but it is old. I say that because I mean to say that it is of a style that's not so popular any more in Hollywood movies, where tone and feel take priority over raw action. So if you need action on a drip feed to avoid falling asleep then this movie isn't for your situation. It's a methodical story, over a long time period, and even is a little fuzzy on how much time is passing at a few points. I don't think it takes away from the arc of the film. I do understand if a person isn't always ready to watch a slower film though, so my advice if you can't stand the opening section is to turn it off and try watching it another time. This is a quality film, but the modern audience has been trained away from this style quite a bit, so wait for the moment to strike you instead of forcing it. Expand
  51. Feb 1, 2014
    Cold, calculative and distant; The Godfather's deliberate pacing, restrained acting and unemotional cinematography make it much more than a great gangster-crime drama - It's a fascinating study of the human psyche. Perhaps, the only dramatic aspect in this movie, at least in the conventional sense is Nino Rota's haunting score.
  52. Apr 17, 2015
    I don't know what people see in this movie because it's so boring and non-sense. I don't even saw the 2nd and 3rd movie because this is really anoying.
  53. Nov 28, 2011
    The Godfather is one of the greatest films of all time, no doubt. It is fueled by one of the greatest acting casts of all time, including Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall. If you don't like it because of it's violence, please be selfless and don't rate it. The Godfather is a story about the mafia and it's corruption on society.
  54. Oct 9, 2010
    This is certainly one of the greatest movies ever made. It's such amazingly well-acted, well-written movie with an epic story line that takes you through many themes like love, sadness, loyalty, revenge and betrayal is such an encompassing and totally believable way. I will never get tired of watching this masterpiece.
  55. Apr 19, 2015
    Don Vito Corleone (Brando) is brutally persued when he refuses to sulley the family business with drugs. His eldest, Sonny (Caan), steps in to take the helm in his father's illness, but is riddled with bullets. It is up to Michael (Pacino), the war hero and beloved son, to step up redeem the family's honour.

It could be argued that Francis Ford Coppola's film of Mario Puzo's bestseller,

With a period setting evoked by amber-tinted photography and Nino Rota's elegantly decadent score, The Godfather has dated a lot less than most films of the early 70s. It paces itself deliberately, making its moments of action and horror more telling for the leisurely paths it weaves between them. With performances, style and substance to savour, this shows how it is possible to smash box office records without being mindless.

56. Apr 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It could be argued that Francis Ford Coppola's film of Mario Puzo's bestseller, at once an art movie and a commercial blockbuster, marked the dawn of the age of the mega-movie. Appropriately, the film is about a similar transition in organised crime, as the gentlemanly but sinister world of Don Vito (Brando) is eclipsed by the more brutal and expedient organisation represented by the doomed Sonny (Caan) and the calculating Michael (Pacino).

The old gangster movie is represented by Richard Conte and Sterling Hayden in bit parts, while Brando's cotton-cheeked patriarch represents everything about old Hollywood that Coppola aspired to. The younger generation is represented by the then fresh, exciting talents who remain respected names in their profession (Pacino, Robert Duvall, Caan, Diane Keaton). This is a film that has entered popular culture: even if you've never seen it, you know the lines ("Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes"), and some of the scenes (the horse's head). But there's more to it than moments imprinted on the psyche.

57. Aug 15, 2013
    Que obra maestra. De lo mejor que ha visto el cine en su historia. Una excelente dirección, guión, historia. Todo, absolutamente todo. Algo realmente impresionante.
  58. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have had this movie for many months but i never got time to watch it.
    Yesterday i did and i think ,like everybody say ,it is one of the best movies made ever.
    Al Pacino who was not very popular at that time make his breakthrough performance and he is just great in the role of Michael Corleone.
    About the legend Marlon Brando,he is just phenomenal,his facial expressions and husky voice just make his role one of the best characters.
    It is based on Mario Puzo's novel about five fictional mafia families and Must say he did a great job on screenplay too.
    There are some great as well as shocking scenes in this movie i.e.
    When Woltz wake up and finds a real severed head of a horse.
    Sonny beats up his brother-in-law Carlo.
    Prolonged fight between Connie and Carlo.
    Death of Apollonia Vitelli-Corleone.
    Death scene of Sonny ambushed by gang members at toll.
    The killings of all the other heads of Mafia families,Moe Green,Tesiso and Carlo.
    I loved the setting and style.
    James Caan,Richard S. Castellano,Robert Duvall,Diane Keaton & Talia Shire did great jobs too.
    Despite the many Anachronisms,this movie is just marvellous.
    I have read everything that Coppola dis to make this movie so outstanding.
    Maybe the best gangster movie ever made.
    Thanks Paramount,Francis Ford Coppola and every Cast-crew member related for producing this chef-d'oeuvre.
  59. Sep 15, 2013
    The perfect film. There's not a better overall film out there. Not Citizen Kane, not 2001, not Casablanca and not Raging Bull. This film is a work of art and it's sequel is the greatest sequel of all-time(sorry Empire Strikes Back). The Godfather is a masterpiece.
  60. Dec 19, 2014
    It's on kind of those movies that you must watch before and you die, and you're prohibited to hate it.
    A forever-classic, "The Godfather" has all the elements of a ground-breaking movie. Astonishing cinematography (excellent choice on choosing Gordon Willis by the way), carefully directing, superb acting by the entire cast and a marvelous screenplay.
    Find this movie as soon as you can,
    Find this movie as soon as you can, and watch it, and again, and again, and again and again. This one is worth of your time.
  61. Sep 15, 2011
    "The Godfather" is one of the few cinema classics that deserves every bit of the word it's always labeled with, masterpiece. One of the greatest films ever made, only to be surpassed later by its sequel.
  62. Aug 13, 2014
    Often considered one of the best movies ever made, this movie wouldn't be too long if it was 24 hours long. It shows you it's world, you enter it, and sadly after "just" three hours it ends. Perfectly directed, brilliant screenplay, flawless performances, timeless.
  63. Sep 23, 2014
    The best,most quotable,well done,gory, Romantic,amazing you will ever see. I'm just going to wait here until you go and see it.
    Even if you don't bother with the other two Godfathers,this one is worth seeing
    Some day I may call upon you. That day may never come,but for now,consider this a gift,on my daughters wedding day.
    That day has comme, and I nose call upon you to watch this movie
  64. Jul 6, 2013
    The Godfather is one of the greatest films ever made. Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Robert De Niro it can not get any better than that.
  65. Feb 18, 2015
    Good movie but so overrated! What's wrong with these people giving this movie a 10 out of 10? For real, this movie was ok but it was really boring as well.
  66. Jun 2, 2011
    An American classic, and one of the greatest film's ever made. Director Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece, based on Mario Puzo's bestselling novel starring Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Diane Keaton. The film chronicles a ten year span (1945 to 1955) in the life of the Italian-American Corleone crime family of New York City. Won the 1972 Academy Award for BestAn American classic, and one of the greatest film's ever made. Director Francis Ford Coppola's masterpiece, based on Mario Puzo's bestselling novel starring Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall and Diane Keaton. The film chronicles a ten year span (1945 to 1955) in the life of the Italian-American Corleone crime family of New York City. Won the 1972 Academy Award for Best Picture, Best Actor (Brando) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Coppola and Puzo). Expand
  67. Dec 9, 2013
    I'm not a writer or a critic so I can't really tell you why this movie is perfect... but I know it is because of how I feel every time I see it. I'm moved.
  68. Apr 5, 2015
    Arguably the greatest movie ever made. A cast of relative unknowns (Pacino, Diane Keaton, James Caan, Robert Duvall and John Cazale) join with the great Brando, who was in a low point in his career. Perfectly written and flawlessly directed. Pacino plays the role of Michael perfectly understated -- so understated that the studio wanted to fire him. (Apparently, he wasn't yelling likeArguably the greatest movie ever made. A cast of relative unknowns (Pacino, Diane Keaton, James Caan, Robert Duvall and John Cazale) join with the great Brando, who was in a low point in his career. Perfectly written and flawlessly directed. Pacino plays the role of Michael perfectly understated -- so understated that the studio wanted to fire him. (Apparently, he wasn't yelling like an Italian should.) Expand
  69. Dec 19, 2010
    I think anyone that says anything bad about The Godfather is saying it for the sake of being different from everyone else. It's a great movie, it has a great storyline and it's characters are universally regarded as some of the best in cinematic history. The actors in it, especially Pacino and Brando, are amazing in their roles as Michael and Vito but they're not the only stars of the showI think anyone that says anything bad about The Godfather is saying it for the sake of being different from everyone else. It's a great movie, it has a great storyline and it's characters are universally regarded as some of the best in cinematic history. The actors in it, especially Pacino and Brando, are amazing in their roles as Michael and Vito but they're not the only stars of the show as Cazale and Caan shine as Fredo and Sonny. Expand
  70. Jan 27, 2013
    The Godfather requires a level of maturity to completely understand the story. It's not for everyone but once you realize it's to your taste you will get pulled in the story and 3 hours will go by unnoticed. Having said that, it's not an action film, it's a drama. So if you disliked it because it didn't excite you, you clearly went to the wrong movie. A masterpiece, deserves it's 10/10The Godfather requires a level of maturity to completely understand the story. It's not for everyone but once you realize it's to your taste you will get pulled in the story and 3 hours will go by unnoticed. Having said that, it's not an action film, it's a drama. So if you disliked it because it didn't excite you, you clearly went to the wrong movie. A masterpiece, deserves it's 10/10 score for producing a brilliant, memorable mob drama! Expand
  71. Apr 16, 2014
    En su época esta película fue muy reveladora con el tema de pelis de Gangster, gran escenografia en retratando esos años 40, unas interpretaciones soberbias, la banda sonora, una historia muy cruda y a la vez maravillosa. Imprescindible.
  72. Nov 24, 2013
    A prime example of realism at its finest. The aesthetics of the film are quite possibly the greatest, and most accurate, in cinematic history. A brilliant film with a superb, all-star lineup.
  73. May 6, 2015

Next to Humphrey Bogart's Rick from Casablanca, Oscar winner Marlon Brando's Don Vito may be the most imitated character in screen history. The line "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" has attained legendary status, as has the entire performance. With his raspy voice, deliberate movements, and penetrating stare, Brando has created a personae that will be recalled for as long as motion pictures exist.

74. Dec 27, 2011
  75. Mar 13, 2013
    The Godfather is a masterpiece. With superb storytelling and incredible acting, this film is not only the greatest crime film ever created but possibly the greatest film ever!!!
  76. May 3, 2011
    A piece of cinema that will live on until the world is burnt up by the sun, if it will be for the fantastic story, rich characters, great performances, gritty mafia realism or just the fact that it is a catchphrase goldmine. One thing is sure, this will live on in history as one of the best cinema pieces ever.
  77. Jun 19, 2013
    1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time, It's My Favorite Crime Film, My Favorite Francis Ford Coppola Film And My Favorite Paramount Pictures Film, It Has Been Considered To Be One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made.
  78. Feb 27, 2013
    I find some negative reviews to be pointless either yammering on about how "long" the movie was, slow is another one (though many of these reviewers being kids and not quite used to the expository routines of late 60's drama) and committing the reviewers sin of comparing it to other hyper-spastic (almost cartoonish) crime dramas like Scarface and Pulp Fiction though exceptional in theirI find some negative reviews to be pointless either yammering on about how "long" the movie was, slow is another one (though many of these reviewers being kids and not quite used to the expository routines of late 60's drama) and committing the reviewers sin of comparing it to other hyper-spastic (almost cartoonish) crime dramas like Scarface and Pulp Fiction though exceptional in their own right. There is a quality of this film that tributes a long forgotten style of story telling within subtlety; the end result a beautifully woven opera of deceit, betrayal, loss and violence. It is and will always be a film that reaches the highest levels of fiction, wherein the film is preformed....and not spoon-fed to the audience. heaven forbid you'd have to do some actual thinking in order to complete a relatively easy 3 hours of story telling. Expand
  79. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. one of the greatest movies ever made... and also the best gangster film ever .. strong performance from the cast and good crew. excellent direction from ff coppala. Expand
  80. Nov 25, 2011
    The Godfather is, what I think, a vastly overrated movie. However it does have its strength, and upon a second viewing I was able to enjoy it. But it's its sequel that's the true masterpiece.
  81. May 31, 2011
    The script by Coppola and the novel's author, Mario Puzo, opens at the wedding of the Godfather's daughter. This richly textured montage immediately sets the tone for the entire story. The Corleone family represents the ideal American family -- loyal and loving. All families have flaws, and theirs has to do with the family business. Everyone in the family, except the young college kid andThe script by Coppola and the novel's author, Mario Puzo, opens at the wedding of the Godfather's daughter. This richly textured montage immediately sets the tone for the entire story. The Corleone family represents the ideal American family -- loyal and loving. All families have flaws, and theirs has to do with the family business. Everyone in the family, except the young college kid and war hero Michael (Al Pacino), is involved in the family's illegal business. Murder being the price of entry in their trade, the Corleone clan has long since been desensitized to violence by the requirements of their jobs. Only Michael appears untouched by the evil around him. Michael tells a frightening family story to his future wife, Kay Adams (Diane Keaton), but distances himself from it. "That's my family, Kay," he assures her. "It's not me." Anna Hill Johnstone's costumes for Michael almost always include preppie ties to reinforce his putative innocence. Expand
  82. Mar 27, 2012
    I've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superiorI've never before been bored by a slow-moving film. Ever so much more weight is put on the horse-head scene than it supports. A husband-wife fight is phoney, weak, amateur and isn't even peanuts compared to any such scene by Scorsese. A curly-haired guy beats a guy up and it looks as fake as the fakest action I've ever seen; it was so bad it was hysterical. As in the faintly superior sequel, Robert Duvall's role consists almost entirely of standing around looking mildly concerned. Early scenes with Brando are effective enough, but not a whole lot else is. That curly-haired guy gets shot by a whole buncha guys later on and some friends asked me if I understood how and why the ambush happened as though I could possibly care why it happened or who he was. I heard one person complain that the film 'insists on itself', but it seemed to me more like it didn't even care it existed. At the moment, this movie has nearly five hundred and fifty thousand votes on I.M.D.B., but 'Goodfellas' has only three hundred and twenty-five thousand and 'Casino' barely over a hundred and fifty thousand. Sad. But Francis Ford went on to make an infinitely better film only seven years later, and his daughter an unutterably better one three decades later, and so the Family thrives. Expand
  83. Nov 22, 2013
    A Legend.From here on the genre Gangster was born,no movie could ever match The Godfather.
    It is not one of the best,it in fact is the best .You just cannot ask for anything more in a movie!!
  84. Dec 18, 2013
    I'm going to throw him an offer he cant refuse The greatest film of all time words simply cannot give what marlon brando and coppola did for this movie is just showing you that nothing is impossible
  85. Sep 21, 2014
    The thing I love about The Godfather is the accurate portrayal of the mafia. There aren't gratuitous scenes or extreme Hollywood drama. It is a timeless classic, and honestly I have seen it 50+ times and never get sick of it. Marlon Brando's performance as Vito Corleone is impeccable and some of the best acting I have ever seen.
  86. Mar 18, 2015
    Great movie, although a bit long (VERY LONG). This is still without a doubt, a 10. I haven't watched the next parts, but I hope they're just as good (in all honesty, doesn't seem like it according to others).
  87. Apr 14, 2013
    If you ask me: "what is the best movie of all time?". I will say: "It is NOT The Godfather". Yes, a lot of people around us say it is the best movie they have ever seen. But most of them literally know that they know and undersand few about this movie and they are repeating what others say!!!
  88. Dec 21, 2013
    Greatest movie of all time enough said... about 5 of the best actors of our life time all give oscar performances.. best acted film of all time and not to mention the best screenplay of all time.. love pacino in this but brando, caan, and duvall also give us oscar perfor.. does not get any better than this.. at least i havent seen it yet
  89. Jan 31, 2014
    One of the best movies of all-time. You need to watch this before you exit this earth. Every character on this film is a fit. A good balance of drama and thriller. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. A true classic.
  90. Aug 9, 2014
    My favourite film of all time, and the true ''Godfather'' of the gangster film genre. This film has it all; memorable characters and scenes, terrific acting all round (James Caan as Sonny Corleone and Al Pacino as Michael are amongst the best acting performances I've seen) and a wonderful and gripping storyline. And it's all beautifully filmed; the dark and smoky interiors of theMy favourite film of all time, and the true ''Godfather'' of the gangster film genre. This film has it all; memorable characters and scenes, terrific acting all round (James Caan as Sonny Corleone and Al Pacino as Michael are amongst the best acting performances I've seen) and a wonderful and gripping storyline. And it's all beautifully filmed; the dark and smoky interiors of the Corleone's retreat (complete with Godfather sitting in the corner in his armchair, face shadowed), the family wedding, Michael's exile in Sicilly and of course the tense scenes at the hospital, and the famous restaurant scene, where Michael turns killer for the first time.
    Totally memorable, and no other film I've seen is quite as perfect, polished or stylish as the Godfather.
  91. Oct 17, 2010
    The Godfather turned out to be my favorite movie of all time. Before this movie I didn't like long 2:30 plus movies but after I watched it I had a whole new view of films. This is a near perfect movie for real.
  92. Feb 23, 2011
    Great movie, go watch it. I'm tired of the bickering classics like this get today that apparently don't "stand the test of time". what is this test of time? is it color, better sound quality, special effects? Hopefully people will realize one day that these things add to a movie. A beautiful story like this is still great today and unlike special effect junkie movies such as G.I Joe,Great movie, go watch it. I'm tired of the bickering classics like this get today that apparently don't "stand the test of time". what is this test of time? is it color, better sound quality, special effects? Hopefully people will realize one day that these things add to a movie. A beautiful story like this is still great today and unlike special effect junkie movies such as G.I Joe, Transformers, ext... this movie will still be great in another 30 years from now. Expand
  93. Jun 17, 2011
    I will list every way in which The Godfather is not perfect: the lighting in the car that takes Michael to the big meeting with Sollozzo is a slightly too red and artificial looking. The movie is perfect in every other way.
  94. Apr 20, 2013
    I'm one of those few people who watched The Godfather very late. Nevertheless, it had an impact on me like it did on many others. I loved and cherished every moment of this film. its beautifully written, directed and acted. It's one of those few All-Rounded Movies, thus it comes as no surprise that its beloved by many.
  95. Dec 9, 2012
    Excellent movie! The Godfather is the perfection. Excellent plot and everything else. A must-watch masterpiece. That's the only 9 which I gave (games included).
  96. Apr 29, 2015

The Godfather had three Best Supporting Actor nominees, all well-deserved. The first was Pacino (who probably should have been nominated alongside Brando in the Best Actor category). The other two were James Caan and Robert Duvall. In a way, it's surprising that Duvall wasn't passed over. His presence in The Godfather isn't flashy or attention-arresting. Like his character of Tom Hagen, he is steady, reliable, and stays in the background. Not so for Caan's Sonny, whose demonstrative and volatile personality can't be overlooked.

97. Dec 19, 2010
    The best movie ever! Perfect everything perfect charachters, story, and score! Its amazing and fun to watch! The charachter developmnt is great and so is everything else!!! The best movie ever!!
  98. Jan 15, 2011
    If not the greatest movie ever made, than certainly the greatest gangster drama movie ever made. You have probably heard that bin said before, and well, it's quite true. Now, if your a critic, you pretty much have to like this movie, even if you didn't. I certainly did like it because, one, it gives great performaces, especially by the great Marlon Brando, and it has a tremendousIf not the greatest movie ever made, than certainly the greatest gangster drama movie ever made. You have probably heard that bin said before, and well, it's quite true. Now, if your a critic, you pretty much have to like this movie, even if you didn't. I certainly did like it because, one, it gives great performaces, especially by the great Marlon Brando, and it has a tremendous screenplay that goes deep within its drama and plot points. Thrilling also,"The Godfather" is probably one of the best movies of the 20th century, and if you haven't already seen it, go get it and watch it. 10/10 [R] Expand
  99. Aug 31, 2011
    this is a brilliant classic mob movie, that everyone should have definitely watched before they die. most people will love this movie. a well deserved 10 out of 10.

1. Just about as great as a movie's ever gonna be... As for the storytellng, The Godfather is an intricately constructed gem that simultaneously kicks ass.
    The picture is a series of mini-climaxes, all building to the devastating, definitive conclusion... It was carefully and painstakingly crafted. Every major character - and more than a few minor ones - is molded into a distinct, complex individual.
    The wedding sequence... is a virtuoso stretch of filmmaking: Coppola brings his large cast onstage so artfully that we are drawn at once into the Godfather's world.