9.3

1. Aug 25, 2010
    Honestly if you were to ask me what's my personal favorite movie, I'd have to say "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly". While the film does have a few lighthearted or comedic moments it's by enlarge extremely serious and deals with war in an admirably restrained manner. Sergio captures the epicness and chaos of the old west but it doesn't choke itself to death on atmosphere. While I thought Leones own "Once upon a time in America" was his best work this comes in an extremely close second. It really does nothing wrong. One of the few films I could honestly call perfection Expand
  2. Aug 11, 2012
    A masterpiece, not only for lovers of the good old-fashioned westerns, but for anyone who loves cinema in its broadest sense. Fabulous interpretation, visually brutal and is one of those movies that grabs us to the screen in despair for having no idea of how the movie will end. Eastwood at his best.
  3. Jun 12, 2011
    You have to like westerns to love this movie, and it is very good along those lines.... I honestly don't know what could be done to make it any better.
  4. Aug 14, 2010
    I've seen this movie 20 times, and remember watching it with my Dad when I was a kid. It does not get old. This is what a Western should be. I'll take Eastwood over Wayne any day.
  5. Mar 7, 2011
    Probably the most all-round film there is, never mind in just the Westerns! Everything fits in with the larger scheme, especially the civil war backdrop to the journey of Blondie and Tuco, which splits their own selfish journey from America's personal revolution. Alongside Leone's other work this takes the finest parts from each, but this was a role Eastwood was born to perform as our ever-so-cool anti-hero who we would all want to be.
    The infamous 'Dance of Death' is a perfect way to close the open-ended trilogy, as are some ideas carried over into both 'Once Upon A Time(s)...', but the double-crossing, almost twisted-romance between Tuco and Blondie is the central beat of the film, with van Cleef showing us what Blondie could have been on the other side of the law. Pretty much the complete film, if you ask me.
  6. Mar 16, 2011
    One of the best films ever made. No, really, if you haven't checked this out yet, do yourself a favor and give it a watch. The soundtrack is also worth checking out.
  7. May 5, 2011
    In my opinion the ratings for this film are just right. The film is one of the best, if no the best, performance that he has done. It is one of few films in a franchise to not only match previous films but also out rank them and become greater then the previous. The film shows the good, the bad and the ugly on their quests to earn money in the world of the wild west. If you enjoy gripping action scenes the build tension and suspense mixed with bits of humour this is a film that must be watched. Collapse
  8. Jun 10, 2011
    After watching this movie I would have to say that Clint Eastwood is my favorite actor alive today. The man is the epitome of coolness and has had some of the greatest action and westerns of all time to his name such as the Dollars Trilogy, Dirty Harry and of course Unforgiven.
  9. Aug 5, 2011
    A Masterpiece, A Classic, A Movie I will never get bored of watching. I became an instant fan of Clint Eastwood. I will die to meet him. When I watched this movie, Its been days since I saw a True Classic.
    Hats off to all the Crew and Cast of "The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly" !!!
  10. Jan 21, 2012
    An unquestionable classic, you would have to be bordering on bonkers to miss the brilliance and breathtaking beauty of this film. The quintessential western film, unassailable best of its genre .
  11. Feb 2, 2012
    They do not make westerns like they used to. This is the quintessential spaghetti western. I love Clint Eastwood, as the man with no name. This film should be on everybody's must see list.
  12. May 6, 2012
    Quintessential spaghetti western. Perfect balance between desert spaces and dusty characters. The three main characters are fun to follow through the story.
  13. May 23, 2012
    This movie has become a classic. The fact that Clint Eastwood is a genious on screen makes this movie one of the all time best in my book. This ends the trilogy so even thought the otther 2 films also have a high standard this movie is probably the best of the three. Its well worth spending the time to watch it,
  14. Jun 20, 2013
    My favorite movie ever. I'm a huge fan of Western's and have have seen mostly all the John Wayne classics, but nothing beats Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo It's the greatest western ever and one of the best films in cinema history.
  15. Jul 12, 2013
    It has an ambitious quality that is admirable. Aside from that, it looks like a criminally (no pun intended) overlong episode of Bonanza. And you wonder why critics bashed it the first time around.
  16. Nov 1, 2013
    A lot of the open space that would otherwise seem unnecessary, is actually used to its fullest potential in ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.’ The intensity of scenes, sometimes involving only one man in the vast sprawling desert, easily capture the essence of the film, surprise, intrigue and some fine camerawork which is held true throughout the course of the film, director Sergio Leone intentionally misleads the viewer with various angles in an attempt to mask the outcome of an event, he does this so well. The pressing matter, however, is why this movie is so good? Or masterful for that matter. It will always be known as a "Spaghetti Western” even if its content is vastly superior to many of the westerns that have come and gone, it has garnered its critics for presumably being part of the 'Dollar’ trilogy’, yet it survives to be not only the best Western film, but one of the finest films of a cinematic generation, the style and beauty on screen utilises each and every detail, whether its the sun soaked sand or the populated battlefields of a civil war, the film has a massive scope of perfection and subtlety. Clint Eastwood again places the cigar in his mouth as the 'Man With No Name’, another problem with the marketing of a great film, he’s clearly called “Blondie” in the film. The performances of the three main leads are exquisite, alongside Eastwood, we have Eli Wallach as a of a man called Tuco, an shaky and untrustworthy acquaintance of Blondie, he never stops and also never misses an opportunity to get one over on his partner. But we also have the cool, focused and dangerous stance of Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes, his opening scene as he he sits down for food with his target is expertly filmed to outline the cruel and materialistic side of this man, but also the dangers of crossing guns with him, his moments of in the film are made up of fear and his piercing stare, giving relevance to his name. Moments like these are what the film is about, it doesn’t hold heavy dialogue but instead lets the scenery speak for itself, one of the final scenes of the film has the three characters face off in a three-man showdown, this is a long and suspenseful scene, one which gradually draws the viewer in from long shot to extreme close-ups, we witness the distance these men are from each other, right up to the sweat and stubble on their chin, perfectly capturing a scene that doesn’t necessarily differ from many duels, but the delivery of suspense along with a riveting score gives it vital importance. The character of Blondie is a benchmark of the Western age of film, this guy doesn’t even have to talk much to be appreciated, a creation of power and order need not speak, he just needs to act out his myth or legend, something Leone and Eastwood bring to the Man With No Name in flawless style. He is after gold that the other two men are also after, the catch being that Tuco knows the graveyard its buried in, but Blondie knows the exact name of the grave, while Angel Eyes was led onto the track through his own menace and curiosity. The graveyard part of the film is only one of its many highlights, another being a civil war part where the two partners decide to take down the bridge in an attempt to further their journey. The landscape, creation of memorable moments and a story which intertwines with pivotal segments of history, amount to the flawless art that is this film, it has wit and character dynamics that separate the film from others, each leaving a rather different taste in your mouth, at 180 minutes long, each and every scene needs to be soaked up with the brilliance of its content, and the talent of those involved. Expand
  17. Dec 25, 2013
    Three thugs come into information about a certain treasure hidden somewhere in a graveyard, which precipitates in a battle of wits and endurance that takes us through deserts, prisoner-of-war camps and battle encampments. There's never a dry moment, well except for the weather.

The Ugly, Tuco, is a low-life, good-for-nothing, petty thief who has an unwritten contract with Blondie a.k.a
    the Man with No Name (Clint Eastwood) which the latter usurps, making him want to seek vengeance. Some might find him the most sympathetic one because he talks about his life, which the others don't, and we know that he didn't know any better, or things might have been different. He overestimates his intelligence and suffers for that at the hands of the other two. But if he sets his mind to something, he will take such offence that he will pursue his enemy to the extreme.

The Bad, Angel Eyes, is singularly portrayed as the villain without redeeming qualities. Early on he kills a child to distinguish himself from the other two, though the others are not so much saints and Tuco is a rapist. Their life is hard and given the circumstances the other two might have done the same in the heat of a gunfight to save their skins, but the important thing is that they are not shown to do so and this is what immediately sets him apart and paves a separate path for him.

The Good is not so much good in character as in looks. The Man with No Name roams the desolate landscape in search for bounty. But since he appears to be the protagonist, he may come across as the most sympathetic one from the three. He is a man of few words. Initially it feels like he may get overwhelmed by the barbarity displayed by the other two, but through a combination of wits, deceit and an unmatched prowess at gun toting, he displays a skill at killing that often intimidates his peers.

Each of them kill with impunity and without remorse, sometimes over nothing at all. As they pursue this treasure, their paths cross several times. They change sides at first opportunity. They cannot sit down and talk about splitting it because The Man could never agree to that. Whether Angel Eyes would have is never really explored.

While these three compete for gold, in background we are constantly reminded of the Civil War. The battle sequences near the end were well shot and captured the chaos of a battle as accurately as it could be on the camera. The camera pans out and shows us the opposing sides and their positions. Glimpses of the war are shown throughout the length of the movie, sometimes a makeshift hospital in the ruins of a building, cannon balls landing in towns and streets, armies marching. No side is shown to be the more sympathetic one. No slaves are shown, not one. Leone clearly did not want to be caught up in a debate. The story he wanted to tell had little time for such discussions. But what he did want to show was the futility of war. Countless suffering youth is shown time and again.

What I loved about the movie is that it was more than just mindless killing and violence. Plenty of time is spent between action to let us reflect on our surroundings and what is going on in there. Hardly a moment is lost in a scene which does not have a bearing on later events. Everything is intricately plotted, meshed together perfectly. Leone spends a lot of time creating tension through silence. Even amidst all the carnage, the tone is always playful. Leone doesn't let the movie get too serious, often flanking scenes of death with humorous ones.

There is a fair amount of convenient coincidences throughout the movie but if you start paying attention to them and seek them out deliberately, it would distract from the whole experience. For as much a serious movie as it is, the intention clearly had been to make a movie that could be enjoyed several times without overbearing with the serious part. Some of the scenes stretch the imagination, like Blondie's ability to shoot off the hats of people from far away.

The score is iconic and added humour and a sense of thrill to the action it supported. The set design was fabulous. The towns, houses, rooms and their furnishings shows almost perfectly the world of that time. The eye for detail was impressive. Nothing seemed to be out of place. Costume was spot on. Cinematography really helped paint a picture of the action taking place.

The last sequence was riveting as the three stand in a Mexican stand-off. This is where we finally realize that the other two, no matter how cruel they could be, are really at the mercy of this mysterious person who is not named once. There was never a time these two could have outsmarted him. While they fidget about, The Man remains passive, defying every expectation. Nevertheless, the way luck plays its part in saving his neck time and again had a greater role than any other, without which no one could survive in this world.
  18. Mar 1, 2014
    Good film here. If I was rating based on undoubtable influence, my rating would be higher, but since I am not, it is what is. I love the cinematography and the score, oh my God, the score is phenomenal. The editing is also really good. Clint Eastwood is also great as expected in his trademark role as the "Man With No Name" and I really did enjoy Sergio Leone's direction, even if it entirely cheesy. However, what does prevent me from loving these spaghetti westerns even more is two-fold. Firstly, this one is particular was a tad long and drawn out. I feel as though it could have been a bit shorter and still accomplished the same as it did in three hours. Next up, and the most egregious, the dubbing. Ugh, I hate dubbing and here, it is baaaaddddd. There are moments when it is not as noticeable, but there are so many times when it is painful how bad it is. While the praise this one receives is very appropriate for a film of this caliber, I cannot enjoy it as much as most for those two reasons. Expand
  19. Mar 6, 2014
    I'm not very keen to western movies but this movie stands out in it's category. Slow tempo doesn't matter when you have something interesting and compelling to follow all the time. And this one indeed has.
  20. Mar 9, 2014
    A masterpiece of cinematography, music, and complex characters, 'Good, Bad, Ugly' is an absolute classic. Sergio Lione did what many people in 1967 thought was impossible: he made the spaghetti westerns a art form of their own. Eli Wallach has the most underrated supporting role in all cinema. Everything else: the action, gunfights, the final showdown, it all comes through for a thoroughly satisfying three hours. Expand
  21. Apr 29, 2014
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is Sergio Leone's masterpiece. It is beautifully shot, first of all, with creative cinematography and a certain style that many westerns have tried to copy but can never live up to. The musical score drives the movie forward and can be suspenseful or adventurous interchangeably. The acting is pretty good, and the story is intriguing. The character motivations are very sensible, and not predictable (most of the time). The dialogue crackles with wit and chutzpah that produces many a movie quote. The best part of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (besides the classic, tense, edge-of-your-seat final shootout scene), is the beginning. For the first five minutes there is no dialogue spoken, something only the best movies and best filmmakers can do. This is one of the best movies ever made, behind The Shawshank Redemption and The Godfather. Expand
  22. Jul 18, 2014
    The best western to see is "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly." It shows influences to the Civil War in the Western genre with excellent performances by Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Walchi. It consists of the Western action with thrills and humors through these three actors.
  23. Aug 13, 2014
    Not just a great western, a great movie, a masterpiece. Sergio Leone at his best, all the actors at their best. Not a typical western screenplay, but it's still brilliant and memorable. Brilliantly executed, like Casablanca, one of the movies closest to perfection.
  24. Sep 3, 2014
    Not boring. One to be watched once or twice in a life, but people are definitively more clever, sensitive and aware of the psychological ropes used at that time nowadays.
  25. Sep 4, 2014
    A mixture of tensity and fear, this genre defining movie really does set the standard for all those after it. Eastwood plays the role of "The Good" perfectly, adding mystery to his character through one facial expression and tone. Wallach plays "The Ugly", a man with no shame, a man full of greed and betrayal. And Van Cleef plays "The Bad" who has no remorse for his actions or the consequences that unfold. This amazing portrayal of the west brings the trio together through unbelievable storytelling, driven by a soundtrack composed by Ennio Morricone, to serve for one of the best ending scenes in modern cinema. Expand
  26. Oct 12, 2014
    Best western ever made with marvelous performances and iconic soundtrack.A movie so thrilling and so quotable that you just can't get enough of it despite of it's running time."There are two kinds of people in this world.Those with loaded guns and those who dig...you dig."

Though ordained from the beginning, the three-way showdown that climaxes the film is tense and thoroughly astonishing.
  2. An improbable masterpiece -- a bizarre mixture of grandly operatic visuals, grim brutality and sordid violence that keeps wrenching you from one extreme to the other.
  3. All told, and in giant widescreen, it's only blood-red adolescent fun, but it blooms like Douglas Sirk with a Gatling gun compared to the teenage demographic's current fare. Matrix, schmatrix: This is the season's supreme party movie.