7.6

1. Dec 2, 2013
    Unapologetically strange while remaining immensely enjoyable. Filled with a cast of charismatic protagonists and antagonists, surprising plot twists, deftly choreographed action and plenty of humor. It's Indiana Jones meets every Spaghetti Western you've ever seen all updated for the 21st century. Another one that has been criminally underwatched in the West (despite actually getting a reasonable release slate here). Similarly, it's hard not to see this one getting a remake in the non distant future (for better or worse). Expand
  2. Nov 12, 2011
    This is the kind of action movie you've always wanted to see. A great cast, stunning soundtrack and imaginative action sequences. The movie is light-hearted, with the plot being both simple and complex simultaneously. It has a vibrant visual style that allows the movie to look more expensive than it actually was. Action scenes tend to last upwards of 10 minutes each but you never grow weary as they constantly bring something new to the table. The movie's biggest success is its almost childlike sense of adventure that absorbs you into a crazy world that you don't want to leave Expand
  3. Nov 3, 2011
    "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" presents the Korean world of cowboys, which is cool and full of visual action but lacks the brains and a better plot.
  4. Nov 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Off-kilter Korean neo-western "The Good, the Bad, the Weird," is a frenetic genre mash-up packed with visceral, loopy violence. That isn't a complement so much as it is a description. The problem for me is that the plot, for as convoluted as it gets, is much too threadbare to sustain so much motion. The plot is basically get the map while we learn a bit about the characters, but not so much that the never ending chase and blood bath is really allowed to pause. It has enough motion for easily fifteen other films. In all honesty I looked at the clock at one point and was shocked that the film wasn't even half over. I was exhausted. Despite an interesting setting, lovely visuals, good music and kinetic action this is not a film that works. It is essentially a chase movie that never stops but a poor script, poorly paced action scenes and an overly long running time prevent it from realising it's potential.
    I like the film, I don't love it. I can recommend the film, but at the same time I wish it was better. If you can get past the plot problems and just concentrate on the action you're going to have a great time.
  5. Oct 28, 2011
    This is the best movie of 2008. Can one Korean cowboy, a pastiche of Client Eastwood and eastern modesty, take on the whole Japanese army? Yes, he can. The extended chase and gunfight near the end is worth the price of admission alone and puts western action films to shame. Cool, funny, slick, and awesome, "The Good, the Bad, the Weird" is the surprise movie you have been waiting for.
  6. Nov 10, 2010
    What a great movie! Best modern spaghetti western of the decade. I really enjoyed it. There were a few gaps of slow scenes, but I had a good time overall. Great actors, fantastic cinematography.
  7. Jon
    Aug 28, 2010
    The Good, the Bad, the Weird is one of this year's best movie so far. It contains some hilarious shootouts and even though the plot itself isn't the best this movie has alot of good moments. If you're looking for a good action comedy that doesn't take itself to seriously, then this movie is highly recommended.

1. Reviewed by: Ed Schied
    The entertaining non-stop action has the potential to give the film wide cross-over appeal and cult status.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    A tangled narrative and damp-squib ending detract from an otherwise joyous Spaghetti Eastern.
  3. Reviewed by: Maggie Lee
    A jaunty, happy-go-lucky adventure that packs a fistful of dynamite in the spectacular showdown.