8.3

1. Mar 8, 2014
    All of which combines to make what feels like Wes Anderson’s most heartfelt film thus far. One that effortlessly straddles genres and works as both a nostalgic paean to a more innocent time and an examination of the very nature of storytelling itself. But most of all, it’s a beautifully realised account of the friendship that once formed between a lowly lobby boy and the legendaryAll of which combines to make what feels like Wes Anderson’s most heartfelt film thus far. One that effortlessly straddles genres and works as both a nostalgic paean to a more innocent time and an examination of the very nature of storytelling itself. But most of all, it’s a beautifully realised account of the friendship that once formed between a lowly lobby boy and the legendary concierge who took him under his wing. Grand Budapest Hotel finds director Wes Anderson at the top of his game, delivering what may be his best film yet. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2014
    Wes Anderson movies are like a lovingly-stocked curio cabinet: engaging to look at and fascinating to marvel about. Ralph Fiennes heads up the cast of zany eccentrics as the concierge of the titular establishment. He includes the new Lobby Boy on his escapades, which include stealing a painting, escaping from prison and eluding the invading forces. Visually, this is a symmetrical delight:Wes Anderson movies are like a lovingly-stocked curio cabinet: engaging to look at and fascinating to marvel about. Ralph Fiennes heads up the cast of zany eccentrics as the concierge of the titular establishment. He includes the new Lobby Boy on his escapades, which include stealing a painting, escaping from prison and eluding the invading forces. Visually, this is a symmetrical delight: the locations are gorgeous and the detail is exquisite. The deadpan dialogue and comical staging keeps the pacing on its toes. If you enjoy cinema that's more about form than content, you'll find this hotel a lovely place to visit. Stay thru the credits to enjoy an animated man dancing to a delightful song. Expand
  3. Dec 2, 2014
    After watching the G.B.H. again, I enjoyed it more than the first time around. It's a Wes Anderson movie, and it comes with all of his quirks, good and bad. This time though, I felt like his characters were given some room to breath. Ralph Fiennes, in the lead role, gives a great performance. Anderson has created a really memorable character for him to inhabit. In Moonrise Kingdom, IAfter watching the G.B.H. again, I enjoyed it more than the first time around. It's a Wes Anderson movie, and it comes with all of his quirks, good and bad. This time though, I felt like his characters were given some room to breath. Ralph Fiennes, in the lead role, gives a great performance. Anderson has created a really memorable character for him to inhabit. In Moonrise Kingdom, I felt like the characters and performances were secondary to the production and set pieces, but here Anderson has corrected that mistake. The movie also doesn't put young children into shocking situations like Kingdom did, which is a plus for me since I found those situations to be morally lacking. The production design here is still top notch, especially the hotel itself. The ending is unexpectedly poignant, and it highlights just how much you've come to care for the characters over the relatively brief running time. Overall, it's a memorable and funny movie. It's still somewhat of an acquired taste, but I can't deny its quality, uniqueness, or the fact that I enjoyed it quite a bit. Expand
  4. Mar 24, 2014
    This movie was near perfect for what it was. It was funny when it needed to be and serious when it needed to be. The set design was a work of art in itself. On top of that, the characters, plot, and presentation were more than enough to keep any viewer interested throughout the entire film. The only flaw I found was that they didn't develop some of the minor characters quite enough, makingThis movie was near perfect for what it was. It was funny when it needed to be and serious when it needed to be. The set design was a work of art in itself. On top of that, the characters, plot, and presentation were more than enough to keep any viewer interested throughout the entire film. The only flaw I found was that they didn't develop some of the minor characters quite enough, making the story hard to follow at on instance. This is such a minor flaw, as that line of the film contributed nothing to the overall story. In the end, definitely worth you going to see. Expand
  5. Jun 29, 2014
    "There are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity..."

The Grand Budapest Hotel is pure brilliancy and with out a doubt the best Wes Anderson film to date. I think it's rather amazing that Wes can make one exceptional film after another as there are only a few directors nowadays that can be held on the same level as him. Of course If you have not seen any Wes Anderson Film before this than you might not be able to appreciate all the fine details he is able to incorporate into this. I was thinking only a few movies had the chance of being my favorite movie of the year and this was nowhere near it yet surprisingly now after watching this i have it as my top movie of the year beating out Captain America: The Winter Soldier by quite a few points.

The films narration is beautiful done and tells the wonderful story of Gustave (Ralph Fiennes) the lead concierge at The Grand Budapest Hotel in the fictional country of Zubrowka and the hotels new lobby boy Zero (Tony Revolori). After Madame D. (Tilda Swinton) one of Gustave's lovers pasts away he and Zero immediately head to her wake upon arriving they stumble upon the reading of her will in which Gustave finds out that she has left him "Boy with Apple" which happens to be a very valuable painting. This makes Madame's son Dmitri (Adrien Brody) very angry and he tries to get Gustave thrown out of his house despite him not being the actual owner of it yet. After showing Zero the painting Gustave and Zero steal the painting and hastaly leave the area set to sell it off and lay low for awhile although before they can do this Gustave is accused of murdering Madame D. and is thrown in prison.

What ensues from here is one hell of a marvelous thrill ride set to entertain all who watch it. The film has a great balance of humor just like all Wes Anderson films yet i found myself laughing a lot more this time around and i absolutely lost it when Willem Dafoe's character Jopling threw Jeff Goldblum's characters cat out of the window especially when Goldblum looks out the window to see what has happened to it. Wes is the kind of director that like to work with the same actors over and over again if you have seen any of his other films it would be hard not to see a familiar face in this. Seeing so many movies nowadays with a all-star cast that end up being rather underwhelming its nice to see that a director can still put together such a masterful cast and make everyone brilliant it in.

Overall i give it a 9.5 It's going to be hard to beat out this movie as my favorite yet i thought the same thing with "12 Years A Slave" and now i have that as my fourth or fifth favorite film of the year so far. Still though i thoroughly enjoyed this movie more so than any other film this year and im seeing only two movies left with a chance to overtake it.
  6. Mar 29, 2014
    Another quirky diorama is added to the impressive collection of Wes Anderson who could be considered America's foremost auteur. And yet...

The film is beautiful in its color and set designs. A ravishing impression of continental empirical splendor in a Slavic country prior to something like World War II. The question is, as for several of Anderson's last few films: how does it make you feel? The sight and offbeat gags are there and aplenty but can they support something that is not quite drama or comedy, and certainly not conventional storytelling.
    The last few scenes of the film redeem the previous segments as the relationship between M. Gustav H. and the Lobby Boy is cemented as a bond that finally feels genuine. And when the telescopic looking glass of the story's three time periods are finally pressed together, I did feel something close to profound melancholy for the memory of all the central characters in each age, no matter how ridiculous they were depicted.

Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic combined to showcase a new and unique voice in American cinema. In Rushmore, Max Fischer ambitiously pulls together a school stage play adaptation of the film Serpico. I loved that conceit then, but feel like that now IS the conceit for many of Anderson's latest films, including GBH and Moonrise Kingdom. Terrific actors reciting very serious-sounding, direct dialogue with middle school earnestness.
  7. Aug 9, 2014
    Una película con toques sutiles de comedia, artística y técnicamente una obra maestra, con muy buena dirección y un magnifico guión, que dice presente en las listas de premios de las siguiente temporada.
  8. Jul 25, 2014
    I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie before and I was quite pleased with this one. It Is defiantly a different movie with many weird scenes/ dialogue but that is what makes this movie really funny and memorable. The actors were all casted really well. With some well known actors having small but very well done roles. A surprisingly well done movie.
  9. Dec 9, 2014
    Exquisite. Fiennes gives a dazzling performance in this 'comedy; with serious undertones from the war. Stating the obvious: the hotel and surrounding mountains are quite simply breathtaking, gorgeous setting. The interactions between Fiennes, the hotel staff as well as his romantic dalliances all make for a very enjoyable few hours. Comparable to the Cider House Rules and Kiss Kiss BangExquisite. Fiennes gives a dazzling performance in this 'comedy; with serious undertones from the war. Stating the obvious: the hotel and surrounding mountains are quite simply breathtaking, gorgeous setting. The interactions between Fiennes, the hotel staff as well as his romantic dalliances all make for a very enjoyable few hours. Comparable to the Cider House Rules and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Anderson takes a complex plot and thrusts out delightful entertainment. Ending was pleasant if slightly clichéd. Expand
  10. May 12, 2014
    Wonderful and delightful and funny and inspired. Made with Wes Anderson's normal fastidious attention to detail, with careful compositions and eccentrically droll characters (with the exception of the inspired M. Gustave played by Ralph Fiennes, a mannered sophisticate with just the right amount of rapscallion that instead of quirky tics, he's a man of desires and decency, an almost realWonderful and delightful and funny and inspired. Made with Wes Anderson's normal fastidious attention to detail, with careful compositions and eccentrically droll characters (with the exception of the inspired M. Gustave played by Ralph Fiennes, a mannered sophisticate with just the right amount of rapscallion that instead of quirky tics, he's a man of desires and decency, an almost real human being).

The Grand Budapest Hotel operates on a more plot-centric level than any of Anderson's previous films, and yet retains all his charms and idiosyncrasies, yet by not flaunting his mannerisms as character development or deepness of thought, he actually winds up saying more about everyone and everything by letting them speak for themselves. The melancholy passing of the old world is captured in the sheer joy and exuberance of the scenes taking place there, so that when we are lurched back to the present and the film slows down and hits the notes of normal Anderson faire, it carries with it a sense of loss and sorrow.

The juxtaposition of the looming war, with its brutality and chaos, also inspires the scenes in the past as they are full of atypical for Anderson indecency. From the dropping of F-bombs to the explicit, yet not grotesque, gore. These seeming anachronisms, that work on two different levels, are both funny and deep and since they don't just have to be deep they actually work perfectly.

The movie plays out in three different aspect ratios, a fun little treat for cinema fans who notice. Although it should be said that the majority of the film takes place in the past and as such uses a near full screen ratio (a relic of old European films), which is a little disappointing considering how gorgeous the filmmaking is. It could have been bigger and better.
  11. Jul 31, 2014
    First, and foremost I can't even begin to delve into this miraculous piece of filmmaking without first, thinking it's director. While my sheer words, simply can't due the film any justice whatsoever. Wes Anderson, the creative mind behind the classics such as; "The Royal Tenenbaums", "Rushmore", "The Life Aquatic: With Steve Zissou" and last years amazing "Moonrise Kingdom. Anderson alsoFirst, and foremost I can't even begin to delve into this miraculous piece of filmmaking without first, thinking it's director. While my sheer words, simply can't due the film any justice whatsoever. Wes Anderson, the creative mind behind the classics such as; "The Royal Tenenbaums", "Rushmore", "The Life Aquatic: With Steve Zissou" and last years amazing "Moonrise Kingdom. Anderson also directed the great kid flick "The Fantastic Mr. Fox". All of Wes Anderson films feature a zany, wacky, and fun energetic appeal, that not only make them insanely hilarious; but, unforgettable. His latest, "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is quite possibly his greatest achievement. The writing is simply put, terrific. There is of course the grand ole Anderson appeal, however, this film is more sharp and on target every step of the way. The success can also be attributed in part to the incredible cast of characters. Ralph Fiennes undoubtedly steals the show portraying Monsieur Gustave H, a loyal concierge of the "Grand Budapest". But I also have a feeling that audiences will be shocked by the real and authentic performance, that is turned in by newcomer Tony Revolori. This day and age in cinema were not usually graced with the pleasure of originality, in fact it's rather come and gone. Thanks to Anderson, and his creative ingenuity, chances are you're not just going to be laughing hysterically (and trust me, when I say, YOU will) but feel a sympathetic story of love, jealousy, rage, and betrayal. "The Grand Budapest Hotel" basically has something, for everyone.

The story (written by sir, Wes Anderson himself) takes place across the span of a few different time periods, split up into several parts. In the present the audience meets Zero Moustfa (F. Murray Abraham) the new owner of the Grand Budapest, who recalls his life as an infamous lobby boy, under the strict direction of notorious concierge, Monsieur Gustave H. Rewinding back to 1932, Gustave (Ralph Fiennes) is a gigalo, known for his endeavours with older women. After his most personal client, Madame D (Tilda Swinton) mysterious dies at the age of 84. Thus, in her will, leaving a priceless painting known only as "Boy With Apple" to sir Gustave H himself. Causing a spiral of events, framing the innocent man. However, with the help of his loyal sidekick, Zero. Will prove his innocence, once and for all.

Speaking on behalf of the film's set design earlier. There is so much little, attention to detail, down to the last wall fixture. Chances are, moviegoers will not see a set like this one. Taking into account Wes Anderson's, corky cinematography, at the same time it has the look, and feel of an old fashion murder mystery caper. However, Anderson still leaves his watermark, in his inclusive character development, and vigorous storytelling capability. In other words, the film is not as spectacular without it's extremely talented band of actors. Ralph Fiennes, idealistically steals almost every scene, of every line. The comedic timing, and his rapid fire of lines, is nothing short of perfection. He is extremely funny when he needs to be, but also, emotional when the story line demands it. Newcomer, Tony Revolori, get's his first shot at Hollywood, starring in his first film. I must say, after this performance, he has a bright career ahead of him. The list itself, goes on and on. All of your regular Anderson favorites make their appearances such as; Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Edward Norton, and Willem Dafoe. Who each have their great moments, and will leave a huge smile on your face.

When it boils down, and the film reaches it's conclusion and climax. The deepest intentions of the film's plot may skew over the head of most mainstream moviegoers. Anderson's whimsical natures is still in tact, for most of the duration. However, he does deteriorate a tad, and makes this film more relatable with his characters. "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is like a well oiled machine. An assembly line, making the perfect movie. Everything is exactly in place, as it should be. Not to mention, extremely funny. In a new age, where sequels, reboots and adaptations are being jammed down audience's throats. There is a silver lining, and his name is Wes Anderson. Most people seem to be afraid to venture to their local cineplexes, as they should, paying upwards of $11 a ticket. The Grand Budapest, is one of possibly three movies a year, that is cinematic in all its aspects, and just amazing. Something that is extremely thought-provoking, serious, and has a message. I, myself was deeply moved by the inner connections with our characters. This simply goes without saying, "Grand Budapest Hotel" is easily the best film I have so far, seen this year.

A+

By: Nate Adams

Directed By: Wes Anderson
    Rated: R
    Run-Time: 100 mins
    Release Date: March 28th (Wide)
    Studio: Fox Searchlight
    Thanks For Stopping Buy.
  12. Nov 11, 2014
    Wes Anderson is one of my very favorite director / writers and The Grand Budapest Hotel is his masterwork thus far. It's unbelievably beautiful to look at, hysterically funny, unpredictable and incredibly moving. I laughed. I cried. I enjoyed every single second of this fantastic masterpiece.
  13. May 3, 2014
    If you're in the mood for something really eccentric? You'll love it. If you were trying to choose between this and, say, Captain America? Wait until you're in the mood for quirky.
  14. Sep 3, 2014
    Yes, outrageous. Yes, extravagant. And yes, heartfelt and brilliant. The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of Wes Anderson's finest achievements to date. Holstered by a unique performance from Ralph Fiennes and a marvelous ensemble, the film soars high above Europe. Don't forget Tilda Swinton's brilliant cameo.
  15. Jun 22, 2014
    Charming, ironic, funny, sad and nostalgic story. Beautiful art direction, meticulously crafted characters and dialogues.

One of the best movies of the decade for sure.
  16. Mar 16, 2014
    I gave up on Wes Anderson a few years ago since I thought he had become too self-absorbed and not funny, so this film was a complete surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was constantly inventive, delightful visually, and often laugh-out-loud funny. And the parade of excellent acting was amazing -- everyone had a fun character to play and everyone played his part to the hilt, yet knew justI gave up on Wes Anderson a few years ago since I thought he had become too self-absorbed and not funny, so this film was a complete surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was constantly inventive, delightful visually, and often laugh-out-loud funny. And the parade of excellent acting was amazing -- everyone had a fun character to play and everyone played his part to the hilt, yet knew just how far to go. Actually I wished some of the actors who made such a great impression in a few seconds had more to do. My only criticism is that I thought the final chase went on too long and the film lagged a bit, and I think it was because Anderson did not quite catch the tone he was looking for, but after such a fun film (for a change), I was willing to forgive him a slight misstep. Ralph Fiennes was wonderful -- could anyone else today play this role with just the right mix of gravity and lightness? The actor who played Zero was wonderful too. Will anyone remember this terrific film next year when the Academy Awards come around? Best comedy I've seen since Mel Brooks' The Producers -- that's how long it's been since I have seen a really good comedy. Expand
  17. Jan 4, 2015
    This is really the best movie of 2014. Bright, colorful, dynamic. Awesome plot, awesome acting. I especially like this vintage old style of early XX. This movie deserves the Oscar.
  18. Sep 29, 2014
    It is Wes Anderson at his finest. Being the most probable first Best Picture contender of the year, Budapest gives so much in only one hour and a half. The film quality is rich, the handsome visuals are strong and the characters (especially Ralph Fienne's most iconic Monsier Gustave H.) are all strong in their own ways. The music is also something that makes this movie such a greatIt is Wes Anderson at his finest. Being the most probable first Best Picture contender of the year, Budapest gives so much in only one hour and a half. The film quality is rich, the handsome visuals are strong and the characters (especially Ralph Fienne's most iconic Monsier Gustave H.) are all strong in their own ways. The music is also something that makes this movie such a great achievement. Though the great Alexandre Desplat made a wonderful work scoring the film, I was intrigued by the the idea of having other Swiss musical composers like Osë Schuppel and Siegfried Behrend creating music for this film. It is a very important factor. The cinematography, the costumes, the PLOT and the sequence of events were all perfect. The running time is also a favorable factor. It gives us premium film quality in a fast-paced set of 90 minutes. There is nothing wrong to say about "The Grand Budapest Hotel". Expand
  19. Dec 29, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel is a classic among other films in the comedy genre this year.

The old fashioned theme of The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of the aspects I totally love. It’s also smooth, excellent and the cinematography might be one of the best and most unique I have seen. The soundtrack is no exception; it gives the film feeling and pace. 2014 have been a great year, and that totally includes this movie. This film surpassed my expectations; it’s almost a flawless film. The directing is spectacular, just as the structure. It’s a real adventure, which is both entertaining and cheerful. The characters are great, and I really felt close to them all. There are many well-known actors in The Grand Budapest Hotel, and I really enjoyed that. But Tony Revolori as zero isn’t the best actor; he’s a bit too stiff for the role.

Great cinematography and superb comedy, that’s the strengths of this film. Unfortunately are the first 20-30 minutes not as entertaining as the rest of the film and the film could have gotten a higher rating if there had been even more funny stuff.

The Grand Budapest Hotel gets a 7.5/10.
  20. Apr 2, 2014
    A jumpy, exciting, and stylish comedy with enough ridiculous comedy to make you piss yourself. The ensemble does well with the quirkiness of the script, especially this newcomer Tony Revolori, who I daresay was more enjoyable than anyone other than Ralph Fiennes, who is perfect for this role. All in all, it might be a practice for style rather than story, but its over-the-top feel makes itA jumpy, exciting, and stylish comedy with enough ridiculous comedy to make you piss yourself. The ensemble does well with the quirkiness of the script, especially this newcomer Tony Revolori, who I daresay was more enjoyable than anyone other than Ralph Fiennes, who is perfect for this role. All in all, it might be a practice for style rather than story, but its over-the-top feel makes it all the more enjoyable. Expand
  21. Mar 16, 2014
    With its star-studded cast, beautiful scenery, and fast-moving plot, The Grand Budapest Hotel hits all the right notes, and is one of Anderson's best films.
  22. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is awesome in everything. Your actors are very funny and great, howeber is stil most imporant the argument . In my opinion this movie have an amazing original soundtrack which transform in a emblem of your type Expand
  23. Dec 7, 2014
    Quite a delight. It was a charming and amusing movie. The style of the movie and character gestures and motion completely reminds me of "Fantastic Mr. Fox." It was very quirky just like playing a game of Clue.
  24. Apr 13, 2014
    Wes Anderson is at it again with his style and antics that we've all come to know and love. With this being his biggest film yet, a huge all-star cast guides the film along rather smoothly. Ralph Fiennes is delightfully funny in the lead role of the film. Obviously there's way too many other cast members for me to go over so I'll just keep it short by saying that everyone does a marvelousWes Anderson is at it again with his style and antics that we've all come to know and love. With this being his biggest film yet, a huge all-star cast guides the film along rather smoothly. Ralph Fiennes is delightfully funny in the lead role of the film. Obviously there's way too many other cast members for me to go over so I'll just keep it short by saying that everyone does a marvelous job in the film. There are no wasted actors or appearances in the film. Everyone served a purpose in one way or another. Despite a somewhat anticlimactic final act, it's still yet another solid addition to Wes Anderson's great line of films. Fans of His previous work will almost certainly love it. Non-fans might still appreciate it for its zaniness and the great cast. Overall, definitely worth a view. Expand
  25. Apr 18, 2014
    Wes Anderson's quirky "Grand Budapest Hotel" straddles the line between comedy and drama effortlessly, producing a film that is comical, heartfelt, thoughtfully realized, supremely entertaining and deeply rewarding. And the cast...Ralph FIennes makes the film. His energetic lead performance is infused with a crackling wit, yet is also quite moving. The supporting players on show are alsoWes Anderson's quirky "Grand Budapest Hotel" straddles the line between comedy and drama effortlessly, producing a film that is comical, heartfelt, thoughtfully realized, supremely entertaining and deeply rewarding. And the cast...Ralph FIennes makes the film. His energetic lead performance is infused with a crackling wit, yet is also quite moving. The supporting players on show are also quite good: Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Tilda Swinton and newcomer Tony Revolori stand out to me. Pure entertainment. I loved "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and cannot wait to see it again. Expand
  26. Jan 31, 2015
    In Wes Anderson’s latest film, The Grand Budapest Hotel, the unorthodox director/screen writer capitalizes on his signature and brings everything together in a way that makes The Grand Budapest Hotel quite an unforgettable piece of Cinema. From theatrical transitions, to a daring escape, to stories within stories, this Anderson film delightfully integrates drama, romance, comedy, andIn Wes Anderson’s latest film, The Grand Budapest Hotel, the unorthodox director/screen writer capitalizes on his signature and brings everything together in a way that makes The Grand Budapest Hotel quite an unforgettable piece of Cinema. From theatrical transitions, to a daring escape, to stories within stories, this Anderson film delightfully integrates drama, romance, comedy, and adventure all at once.
    The act of tying the film to many different genres is undoubtedly the reason it stands out from other films I have seen this year (2014). To me, it is no wonder Wes Anderson has such a hold on the film industry even though his works are not three-part, explosive, action packed tales of heroism. Similar to Anderson’s previous film Moonrise Kingdom, a quirky, irreverent comedy, The Grand Budapest Hotel also hones in on budding adolescent relationships. Though these off-the-wall kids think they’re ready to bloom, they are not quite prepared for the adult world and all it entails.
    Anderson’s focus on these early teenage love affairs can be quite uncomfortable at times (more so in Moonrise Kingdom) however, I personally enjoy the awkwardness and discomfort for one reason: Above all, Wes Anderson is an incredibly honest writer. His stories are chalk-full of genuine emotion, connections, and deep thought, instead of carefully calculated responses that would censor what we already see in the real world today. Though Anderson’s characters can be mundane at times, it’s due to a stylistic difference that pulls Anderson apart from others in the film industry. Eccentric, honest and good-natured, The Grand Budapest Hotel does not fail to impress.
  27. Dec 14, 2014
    Wes anderson has beautifully directed this absolute gem of a movie and it can be said this is a must watch film from 2014. All actors play their parts great, all scenes are thoughr and planned out lovingly and sillily, and the direction of it is great. They story works brilliantly and i loved every minute of this film. This film is also pretty easily and suprisingly re-watchable too whichWes anderson has beautifully directed this absolute gem of a movie and it can be said this is a must watch film from 2014. All actors play their parts great, all scenes are thoughr and planned out lovingly and sillily, and the direction of it is great. They story works brilliantly and i loved every minute of this film. This film is also pretty easily and suprisingly re-watchable too which is also great! Expand
  28. Jun 12, 2014
    A few years back, I considered watching Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom, but unfortunately, I stocked this movie in my watch list and until this day I didn't watch it. We have a familiar stocking case of The Grand Budapest Hotel, but I was more intrigued by the colorful cast of Ralph Fiennes, Adrien Brody and especially the lovely most talented Tilda Swinton (Only Lovers Left Alive,A few years back, I considered watching Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom, but unfortunately, I stocked this movie in my watch list and until this day I didn't watch it. We have a familiar stocking case of The Grand Budapest Hotel, but I was more intrigued by the colorful cast of Ralph Fiennes, Adrien Brody and especially the lovely most talented Tilda Swinton (Only Lovers Left Alive, Snowpiercer) and a bunch of huge talented people in this film. The Grand Budapest Hotel carries the misadventures of M. Gustave H., his Lobby Boy and the accusation of murder. Wes Anderson has a unique style of filmmaking, starting of the the top notch performances, especially the cinematography and the very weird visual effects the deprives the movie from the real world into a fantastic sort of magical world. Every single frame in this film is collected and masterfully crafted into the picture, keeping the film from A to Z neat, mesmerizing and very intriguing. The Grand Budapest Hotel is surprisingly violent, crude and most wonderfully entertaining and heartwarming. This kind of filmmaking does not suit all kinds of people, however the movie overall is unique, original one of a kind masterpiece with outstanding performances, mesmerizing cinematography and a very intelligent, fun screenplay. The Grand Budapest Hotel is magical! Expand
  29. Dec 21, 2014
    The first thing I knew about Grand Budapest Hotel after leaving the theater was that some moments shined over others. 60% of the film is interesting enough, but lacks a great driving mechanism or significant motive. However, chunks of it really stand out, being as funny and charming as any Wes Anderson movie I've seen. A similar trend exists with the film's actors and characters. The newThe first thing I knew about Grand Budapest Hotel after leaving the theater was that some moments shined over others. 60% of the film is interesting enough, but lacks a great driving mechanism or significant motive. However, chunks of it really stand out, being as funny and charming as any Wes Anderson movie I've seen. A similar trend exists with the film's actors and characters. The new and upcoming Tony Revolori, and the A-List veteran Ralph Fiennes are excellent as the film's head protagonists. Adrien Brody as Dmitri is hilarious, and Wes Anderson's other signature actors (Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Jason Schwartzman) all make small cameos. The only problem with this film is, some of the characters and situations are severely underutilized. As you can see above, plenty of major stars have a role, but many of them are either too short or too simple. Situations are sometimes built up and then let off easy. I think Anderson has tried a bit too hard to pack stars and visuals in, that the film's direction has resulted in some shortcomings. Regardless, they certainly don't detract from the film in any way, and Grand Budapest Hotel still makes for a funny adventure film that bleeds charm and whimsy, in typical Anderson style. Expand
  30. May 10, 2014
    What else can we ask for? It's got Wes Anderson as director, a smart, funny and unexpected screenplay, with an amazing top notch cast that delivered awesome performances. It is a one of a kind journey. Anderson, once again, has been able to amaze us with an original masterpiece with a unique style and storytelling.
  31. Nov 23, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel es una de esas película de comedia que no les importa las irregularidades que tiene el film, y que por lo tanto la convierte en una buena película debido a un buen encaje de esas irregularidades.
  32. Mar 29, 2014
    Wonderfully visual, funny, perfectly balanced adventure that kept my eyes wide open for the entire movie.
    The backdrop was extremely well placed and despite the layers it was easy to follow and hugely enjoyable.
    The Grand Hotel Budapest has all the ingredients to become a classic.
    Go and see it.
  33. Jun 10, 2014
    An incredibly enjoyable movie, The Grand Budapest Hotel combines wonky eccentricity with excellent acting and just plain charm. It's a lot of fun from start to finish.
  34. May 21, 2014
    I have watched film called “The Grand Budapest Hotel”. Film director Wes Anderson creates his own world, full of colourful characters and nicely warm atmosphere. Every little detail and every set made me speechless. From lead character Gustave H.'s purple jacket to the title of the newspaper announcing the war. Anderson has given thought and attention to everything.
    The plot is not very
    The plot is not very important, because it is merely a vehicle for the stunning visuals, the dark humour and the rapid-fire dialogue. It's all about a hotel concierge, Gustave H., who is being chased by various villains for stealing a painting. Some of the scenes are very funny, but there is always a darker tone because of the war. Anderson doesn't shy away from extreme violence, but he shows it almost comical manner.
    Ralph Fiennes is acting as the Gustave H., who never despairs, even in the most unfavourable circumstances. He is supported by a large number of star actors, who are sometimes almost unrecognizable. Tilda Swinton gets rather little screen time, as does Harvey Keitel. Although, film director`s choice of actors is fantastic and even side scenes are played very well.
    The plot is not always very easy to follow, and the dialogue is fast. There are the great camera angles and the wonderful detailed sets to pay attention to. I think by seeing the film a second time you can discover lots of things you didn't notice the first time. Both camera and sound operators did a great job, that is why it catches attention of audience.
    I would recommend this film for those who are searching for the film, that could change their world-view and make them laugh at the same time. It is fulfilled with irony and colour. It must be watched.
  35. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie feels like that rare occasion where you find something real good in a market for a very cheap price, it's that one of a kind thing that leaves a very good taste and just makes you wanting more, the care for the color, shots and details in all the movie is highly perceptible, the character development were just 10 out of 10, i could see Wes Anderson's mark everywhere, but yet it is Wes kind of movie end, the movie feels a little unfinished. The critics about 19º Century Nobility life and ways where pretty visible, differently from the II War ones, that even slight as they were, can be seen as pretty deep if better observed.

95/100 Movie, will buy a copy.
  36. Aug 26, 2014
    Wes Anderson is an unstoppable monster in film, creating masterpiece after masterpiece that can do no wrong for their originality is a notch above the rest. The Grand Budapest Hotel is no except.
  37. Jul 18, 2014
    Ralph Fiennes played such a hilarious character accompanied and I thought Adrian Brody and Willem Dafoe were funny as brothers. I also especially loved the style of the miniature sets as I loved the style.
  38. Nov 10, 2014
    Despite its slow pace and overabundance of characters, Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel is quirky, acted flawlessly and shot in typical Wes Anderson fashion.
  39. Oct 23, 2014
    Within a notion of a modern Pagliacci- this film's whimsical, satirical and tongue and cheek nature run concurrently and in parallel nature with the quick paced role the film moves. Fiennes and Revolori are excellent and the characters endure you to care for their flawed nature and utter faults as it pertains to the plot. Eloquently set in the mountains of Hungary, Anderson brings out theWithin a notion of a modern Pagliacci- this film's whimsical, satirical and tongue and cheek nature run concurrently and in parallel nature with the quick paced role the film moves. Fiennes and Revolori are excellent and the characters endure you to care for their flawed nature and utter faults as it pertains to the plot. Eloquently set in the mountains of Hungary, Anderson brings out the best of his embellished and baroque cinematography. With an inlay of narrative voices enveloping the entire plot- the film succeeds at placing you at a derivative story-arch that comically comes crashing down (that somewhat personifies a Byronian heroic trait on the part of Fiennes- perhaps to his own fault). The film's slight downfall is the inherent burlesque and farce dichotomy that may be, at times, "overplayed" by the beau monde/ privileged humor that arises through seemingly unconventional plot points. Expand
  40. Jan 2, 2015
    What a hilariously off beat black comedy by Wes Anderson. I found myself transfixed by the amazing cinematography, characters, soundtrack and sets. Ralph Fiennes shined as Gustave H and Tony Revolori as Zero Moustafa played as his straight man foil. A great first movie to kickoff my 2015.
  41. Mar 11, 2014
    Anderson's found his rhythm in film making, his previous faults - weak pacing, mirky story telling, cold characters - have faded with each film and TGDH signals his finest, tightest and strongest feature yet. Strong, funny and charming - a brilliant film.
  42. Mar 9, 2014
    If at any point you ever doubted director/writer Wes Anderson’s visual poetic skill, The Grand Budapest Hotel should slap some sense right back into you. Anderson’s newest film is as absurdist as it is serious, as artistic as it is comical, and as real as it is unreal. Instead of using the illusion of film to emulate realistic circumstances, Anderson uses reality to write poetry and turnIf at any point you ever doubted director/writer Wes Anderson’s visual poetic skill, The Grand Budapest Hotel should slap some sense right back into you. Anderson’s newest film is as absurdist as it is serious, as artistic as it is comical, and as real as it is unreal. Instead of using the illusion of film to emulate realistic circumstances, Anderson uses reality to write poetry and turn it into something of a fantasy, a stylish nursery rhyme for adults. His efforts are beyond respectable – even beyond laudable – and although it’s early to say, I doubt any comedy this year will usurp Anderson’s throne.
    Some may argue that Anderson’s cinematographic style – ridiculously symmetric frames, angular pans, and a severely limited color palate, for starters – has become more of a shtick by now, a self-mockery of sorts. However, The Grand Budapest retorts that Anderson is not banking on these techniques to carry his film. Rather, they have become the backdrop to his stage, his hour-and-thirty-minute signature all over the film. Looking beyond that, the viewer discovers how much Anderson has truly matured in his narrative, writing, and directing skills. Behind the Anderson façade is a truly significant and beautifully crafted film, rife with guiltless humor, dramatic progression, and plenty of gasp-inducing moments (some from sheer admiration, and some from severed fingers).
    With The Grand Budapest, Anderson is not looking to write a film; he wants to tell a story. Principally evident in the multilayered frame narrative, he wants the audience to feel like they’re being told a story passed down among generations, re-imagined in fanciful colors and whimsical set pieces. The structure and timing of the storyline is absolutely flawless – the film never skips a beat. Neither over-edited nor under-edited, the story expresses capricious originality while maintaining gravity and poise. Like many of Anderson’s films, the writing is laced with subtle sociopolitical themes – however, with the turmoil of war and aristocratic corruption running concurrently with the plot, these themes tend to remain in the foreground of the narrative. Which isn’t a problem, because instead of detracting from the film’s hilarity, they instead add to its reputation.
    The Grand Budapest is gifted with a strong cast, lead by an impeccable performance from Ralph Fiennes. You would not have instantly pictured Fiennes as the ideal actor to play M. Gustave, the charming, fruity, and unashamedly frank concierge of the legendary Grand Budapest Hotel. However, once you see him in his prime, you can’t imagine anyone else better suited for the role. Just about everyone in the Anderson ensemble makes an appearance, Tony Revolori makes a stellar big-screen debut as the wide-eyed lobby boy/companion to M. Gustave, and Willem Dafoe plays an uproariously threatening and stylishly scary assassin, just to name some standouts. Anderson proves, for the umpteenth time, he is just as great a director as he is a writer, orchestrating many of the action/chase scenes with skillful awareness and a definite vision. Barney Pilling and Anderson work together to produce arguably the most appropriate editing I’ve ever seen in an Anderson film. The quick, sharp, and angular cuts sustain the storytelling vibe while preventing the boisterous colors and set pieces from becoming a strain on the eyes. In summary, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a powerfully designed, painstakingly acute, drop-dead fashionable, and laudably jocular comedy-drama that represents Wes Anderson’s skill set in his prime. We can only hope that he continues to create films that shine with such ingenuity and technical finesse.

FINAL SCORE: 95 (almost perfect ----------o---------- perfect)
  43. Mar 22, 2014
    This film between symmetry, beautiful lines, and themes of love, loyalty and what defines true character was masterfully concieved and excecuted, a truly excellent experience.
  44. Apr 22, 2014
    I can't believe it got 18 negative reviews. This film is a chef d'oeuvre of modern cinema. All the personnages are wonderfully built interact in a Wes Anderson universe full of optimism, humanism and humor.
  45. Mar 8, 2014
    Other than Schindler's List, this is probably Ralph Fiennes' best work. He's hysterically funny, and his supporting cast is also incredibly solid. Wes Anderson has such an amazing sense of style - his shots/locations are just beautiful. From Anderson's catalog, I would give Moonrise Kingdom a slight edge, but only slight. Definitely stay throughout the credits - the music is infectious.
  46. Apr 11, 2014
    As a frequent movie goes, I'm always at the movies. I'm watching whatever comes out that week. Whatever comes out, I'm always there. As this week came around, there really wasn't anything coming out. Rio was quite a joke and the second one seemed worse. Oculus looked like a joke of a movie and didn't interest me. So I went to see this strange movie by Wes Anderson. Wes in my eyes is a hotAs a frequent movie goes, I'm always at the movies. I'm watching whatever comes out that week. Whatever comes out, I'm always there. As this week came around, there really wasn't anything coming out. Rio was quite a joke and the second one seemed worse. Oculus looked like a joke of a movie and didn't interest me. So I went to see this strange movie by Wes Anderson. Wes in my eyes is a hot and cold director. I've only seen two of his movies. Royal Tennebaums (good) and Moonrise Kingdom (bad) were the only two I've seen. It did get my attention because of the RT score and I did like RT. I wasn't disappointed, as this movie is one of my favorite comedies of all time.

It follows the adventures of M. Gustave and his lobby boy as he is framed from murder. The very crass and vulgar movie is saved by this very weird stylish film. Everything (and I mean everything) fits together and the superstar cast doesn't disappoint. I could go on and on about this litter wonderful movie, but I could talk for hours on it. If you like Anderson, I would recommend it. If you don't then I might stay away. Though I know a lot of people who doesn't like him actually liked him. Overall 2014 is saved no matter what happens after this. If Godzilla fails and everything else just fails...it doesn't matter. This year was saved with the top 3 comedy movie ever. 9.5/10
  47. Mar 8, 2014
    Fantastic Mister Anderson...

Another example of pure story-telling and immersing cinematography in a great movie by Wes Anderson.
    Absolute must see!
  48. Mar 12, 2014
    Hallelujah! I have finally seen a Wes Anderson film that I like. The mind bogglingly clever screenplay tips its hat to past eras of film making, but is very much a piece of writing that has Anderson's signature all over it. This, for once, is a good thing. The design of the film, as in a lot of Anderson's work, is just beautiful and many effects are visually striking. A positive roster ofHallelujah! I have finally seen a Wes Anderson film that I like. The mind bogglingly clever screenplay tips its hat to past eras of film making, but is very much a piece of writing that has Anderson's signature all over it. This, for once, is a good thing. The design of the film, as in a lot of Anderson's work, is just beautiful and many effects are visually striking. A positive roster of character actors contribute to the fun (Saoirse Ronan's lack lustre turn aside) with Tllda Swinton and Willem Dafoe standing out. Everything is elevated, however, by the absolutely brilliant performance of Ralph Fiennes which is second only to his Amon Goeth in Schindler's List. I may still have reservations about Anderson and to a lesser extent this film, but if Fiennes isn't nominated for an Oscar next year for this deliciously sublime portrayal then that will be more of a farce than the film itself. Expand
  49. Apr 14, 2014
    This movie is claimed to be a comedy-drama. I would characterize it as a mixture of a theater-of-absurd and a fantasy movie with a few funny twists. The director is Wes Anderson who is quite known. Many famous actors play small roles in the movie and they do not disappoint. The movie is based on works of Stefan Zweig. It is a story of Mr. Gustave, a head concierge of a famous hotel and hisThis movie is claimed to be a comedy-drama. I would characterize it as a mixture of a theater-of-absurd and a fantasy movie with a few funny twists. The director is Wes Anderson who is quite known. Many famous actors play small roles in the movie and they do not disappoint. The movie is based on works of Stefan Zweig. It is a story of Mr. Gustave, a head concierge of a famous hotel and his protege in training Zero. Their adventures take place in a fictional Republic of Zubrowka while Europe is changing so swiftly between two world wars. Nostalgia for "sweet old times" is obvious.
    If you are in for a realistic movie, this one is not for you.
  50. Jun 17, 2014
    One of the director I always look forward to his movie release is that Wes Anderson. Well, who don't like his movies if they are aware of his masterworks. He's one of the unique filmmakers with extraordinary ideas. I always love his screenplay, especially his miniature cinema sets. He believes in those technics and presents on the screen awesomely than completely done with computerOne of the director I always look forward to his movie release is that Wes Anderson. Well, who don't like his movies if they are aware of his masterworks. He's one of the unique filmmakers with extraordinary ideas. I always love his screenplay, especially his miniature cinema sets. He believes in those technics and presents on the screen awesomely than completely done with computer graphics. In this movie as well he used them very nicely and gives pleasure to watch it.

As usual this movie too a comedy with director's traditional actors in it. A comedy that set in the backdrop of a hotel theme and their employees. This hotel is called 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' located on the edge of the Alp mountain in a fictional EU country Zubrowska. The story proceeds with the two layers of flashback to the years 1968 and 1932. It unfolds the life story of Gustave, prestigious hotel's caretaker and his pupil Zero, a lobby boy. Theirs struggle over the accusation of a crime and the other side world war is on a verge to invade the nation. Whether they successful to defend against the charges or not is the remaining story speaks.

Nice story and performances with eye catching visuals. Easily one of the best of this year. It looks very ordinary if it was a usual style movie, but Wes Anderson's touch made all the differences. The adventures are the highlights in all of his movies and so in this movie. Lots of whites and pinks you can see on the screen which is kind of trademark of this movie. In this humour movie violence partially attached, but safely avoided all the cruelties. With the lend of Saoirse Ronan character the story exploits a little bit youthful romance side. The introduction of other characters in the middle of the storytelling made more venturesome in the later parts.

I kind of doubt to suggest it if you are unfamiliar with Wes Anderson's earlier works. You should better start with them before committing this movie. There's a reason, because you may not indulge it like my friend who saw this with me who never hear the director. Otherwise, it is..., of course it is another masterwork by Wes. Anyway, I loved it and waiting for his new project announcement.
  51. Lyn
    May 21, 2014
    Enjoyed "The Grand Budapest Hotel," though it won't be anywhere near the top of my "best of Wes Anderson" list. Visually, it's totally delightful, and Ralph Fiennes amps up his character nicely. But the slapstick bits go on and on ... and most of the "big name" actors have little more than cameos. Unlike "Royal Tenenbaums," you don't look at someone like a Gwyneth Paltrow or a Ben StillerEnjoyed "The Grand Budapest Hotel," though it won't be anywhere near the top of my "best of Wes Anderson" list. Visually, it's totally delightful, and Ralph Fiennes amps up his character nicely. But the slapstick bits go on and on ... and most of the "big name" actors have little more than cameos. Unlike "Royal Tenenbaums," you don't look at someone like a Gwyneth Paltrow or a Ben Stiller and say, "Wow, I've never seen that person quite like this before." And it doesn't create the quirky magic of "Moonrise Kingdom," which was probably my favorite film that year. Still, a fun time. Expand
  52. Mar 31, 2014
    We are not even halfway through the year yet and I have may have just seen the best movie of 2014. Wes Anderson has once again delivered another excellent film that is a must watch. Film buffs and Wes Anderson fans will adore it immediately like I did and if you have never seen a Wes Anderson film before take it from me that you are in for a treat. However, far away the nearest theaterWe are not even halfway through the year yet and I have may have just seen the best movie of 2014. Wes Anderson has once again delivered another excellent film that is a must watch. Film buffs and Wes Anderson fans will adore it immediately like I did and if you have never seen a Wes Anderson film before take it from me that you are in for a treat. However, far away the nearest theater showing this film is from your house it is worth it as this is an excellent film and I rarely say that when reviewing a film. Watching this film makes me want to watch the rest of Wes Andersons movies because I really hope that they are all as outstanding as the two I’ve already seen. This film also has me excited about whatever Wes Anderson is doing next. IF it isn’t clear already this is an amazing movie that needs to be seen by everyone (although maybe not the kiddies). Oh and one more thing make sure you stick around during the credits. Trust me. Expand
  53. Apr 16, 2014
    Wes Anderson seems to have a style of film-making (quirky) that you either love or hate. This film felt more like his animated "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" than any other of his films. It was like watching a live cartoon. I really like the fact that he cares about every scene he films and attempts to film it in a way we have not seen before. I would rank Wes Anderson up with the CoenWes Anderson seems to have a style of film-making (quirky) that you either love or hate. This film felt more like his animated "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" than any other of his films. It was like watching a live cartoon. I really like the fact that he cares about every scene he films and attempts to film it in a way we have not seen before. I would rank Wes Anderson up with the Coen Brothers for his craft. I thought all the actors in the film were terrific and I had a grin on my face the entire time I watched it. I was sorry when it ended, unlike many films I where I look at my watch several times wondering when it would end. Expand
  54. Jun 23, 2014
    Solidly good movie. Not for kids. Very mature content. It was surprisingly laugh out loud funny for being a very seriously themed movie! The acting was excellent, the writing was decent to good, and it is an interesting movie in terms of the ideas it presents on both modern and Europe past.
  55. Apr 20, 2014
    The style and quality of this movie is just incredible. Such eye for details throughout the movie, be it characters and their costumes, the sets, and last but not least of course the conversations. This movie thrills, manages to shock just a little bit and the absurdity is fantastic. Need I say more? Go and enjoy this movie!
  56. Jan 30, 2015
    An extremely well crafted and quirky film by Wes Anderson. Beautifully shot with a charming story stuffed full of well realised characters this is a treat to behold. Brilliant acting by Ralph Fiennes, though I would have preferred if they'd left out some of the star cameos as they were just a distraction.
  57. Jul 4, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel is a hilarious, highly-entertaining yet intelligent comedy that, although sometimes crowded both narratively and visually, is a constant joy to view. With an amazing performance by Ralph Fiennes - the film is yet another success for the brilliant Wes Anderson and will surely please fans of his works.
  58. Jan 18, 2015
    As my first Wes Anderson movie I did not know exactly what to expect, but I certainly had high expectations for the movie following the huge wave of Oscar nods. What may seem like a complex and preposterous plot unfolds quite lovingly thanks to the wonderful performances of Ralph Fiennes and Tony Revolori. While there is an excess of characters, I think it was all part of the fun. TheAs my first Wes Anderson movie I did not know exactly what to expect, but I certainly had high expectations for the movie following the huge wave of Oscar nods. What may seem like a complex and preposterous plot unfolds quite lovingly thanks to the wonderful performances of Ralph Fiennes and Tony Revolori. While there is an excess of characters, I think it was all part of the fun. The cinematography was unique and truly sets the stage for the comedy that is very subtle at times; you should not expect a build up of jokes that end in an eruption of laughter, but rather to find yourself smiling throughout. Overall, a very enjoyable and genuine comedy, although perhaps not worthy of all the commotion it has stirred. Expand
  59. Mar 29, 2014
    An exquisite entertaining ride driven by the artistic and originating classy-toned style of it all. The editing is crisply foreboding through the vision of Wes Anderson's comical cinematic direction. He brings together yet another star-studded cast into his fantasy world and focuses on real morals in the manner alike a loony tunes episode. The Grand Budepest Hotel is a near perfect rareAn exquisite entertaining ride driven by the artistic and originating classy-toned style of it all. The editing is crisply foreboding through the vision of Wes Anderson's comical cinematic direction. He brings together yet another star-studded cast into his fantasy world and focuses on real morals in the manner alike a loony tunes episode. The Grand Budepest Hotel is a near perfect rare film I have always imagined, and has now finally been put on screen. Expand
  60. Jul 1, 2014
    Wes Anderson has been steadfastly honing his finesse since the outset of his career starting from BOTTLE ROCKET (1996) when he was only 27, from then, this wunderkind’s filmography has flourished healthily, presently he is among the most successful auteur in US indie ground and internationally his fame also balloons with his audience, his eighth feature THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL, this yearWes Anderson has been steadfastly honing his finesse since the outset of his career starting from BOTTLE ROCKET (1996) when he was only 27, from then, this wunderkind’s filmography has flourished healthily, presently he is among the most successful auteur in US indie ground and internationally his fame also balloons with his audience, his eighth feature THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL, this year Berlin International Film Festival’s opening film (and Grand Jury Prize winner) and a genuine box-office triumph, indicates he is not slowing down in any aspect.
    read rest of my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  61. Jun 10, 2014
    Average story but good storytelling with great pictures. I like the spattering of other major actors in the film. However it isn't the story nor these actors but rather Wes' vision for this film that brings it to like with great colors and some imagination. His first such success in some time I'd say. Although without supreme, laugh out loud moments, well worth the watch.
  62. Apr 22, 2014
    This one managed to completely live up to my hopes. First off, like all Wes Anderson films, it has a very distinctive look, which is endlessly gorgeous, but I think this one is the most beautiful of his works for me. Every set piece, every costume, every shot, every everything, was absolutely breathtaking. I would be hard-pressed to find a shot that is not beautiful. The amount of symmetryThis one managed to completely live up to my hopes. First off, like all Wes Anderson films, it has a very distinctive look, which is endlessly gorgeous, but I think this one is the most beautiful of his works for me. Every set piece, every costume, every shot, every everything, was absolutely breathtaking. I would be hard-pressed to find a shot that is not beautiful. The amount of symmetry in practically every shot was also very impressive and shows you how much work was put into this one. One thing that differentiaties this one from other works of his that I have seen is how the exterior shots of buildings (such as the hotel) look almost animated from a distance even though they are obviously not. It was a very odd, yet awesome touch. On top of the beauty of the film, it is absolutely hilarious. Ralph Fiennes makes for a hilarious main character (not really the lead) and there were so many scenes with him that were absolutely hilarious. I honestly never expected to laugh as much as I did, but this was easily the funniest Anderson film I have seen yet. On top of these positives, the story was incredibly engrossing and never really caused me to lose any interest, as there was no real lull in the film. Overall, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a great film that is probably my favorite Anderson film to date and will likely wind up being one of my favorites of 2014. Expand
  63. Jul 24, 2014
    Slightly too much Wes Anderson makes me rate this film just under Moonrise but it is still an extremely enjoyable film. Ralph Fiennes steals the show with a breathtaking performance, brimming with fun and comedic value, something I honestly didn't think that Fiennes had despite seeing him in In Bruges. Would definitely recommend to pretty much anybody (except for Michael Bay fans).
  64. May 3, 2014
    Holy hell! What an Astonishing film, easily the funniest film/best film I've seen in years, delightful splendid and heart driving to the brink of collapse, my lungs felt as if they were to burst. Wes Andreston is a poet, artist and this truly has to be one of his finniest accomplishments in cinematography, never have i seen a film completely leaving me absolutely speechless due to theHoly hell! What an Astonishing film, easily the funniest film/best film I've seen in years, delightful splendid and heart driving to the brink of collapse, my lungs felt as if they were to burst. Wes Andreston is a poet, artist and this truly has to be one of his finniest accomplishments in cinematography, never have i seen a film completely leaving me absolutely speechless due to the bizarre and unreal, yet somehow believable events that take place throughout the film. Simply enough the film is about a lonely Lobby boy and the man that decided to take him under his wing this creating a spectacular relationship of friendship and the odd occurrences that were to come.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a solid 10/10.
  65. Apr 15, 2014
    Su di un film come questo, o ti limiti a ‘è una meraviglia da vedere assolutamente’ o ci scrivi una tesi di laurea. Qualsiasi soluzione intermedia finisce per risultare incompleta già mentre la si compone, ma, visto che la prima alternativa è un po’ sbrigativa e non c’è il tempo per la seconda, vedrò di arrampicarmi sugli specchi, mettendo innanzitutto le mani avanti: non ho letto nullaSu di un film come questo, o ti limiti a ‘è una meraviglia da vedere assolutamente’ o ci scrivi una tesi di laurea. Qualsiasi soluzione intermedia finisce per risultare incompleta già mentre la si compone, ma, visto che la prima alternativa è un po’ sbrigativa e non c’è il tempo per la seconda, vedrò di arrampicarmi sugli specchi, mettendo innanzitutto le mani avanti: non ho letto nulla delle opere di Stefan Zweig a cui la pellicola è ispirata. L’ultimo lavoro di Wes Anderson mette in mostra una leggerezza e una godibilità rare, regalando al pubblico poco meno di cento minuti di sorridente divertimento sorretto da un invidiabile senso del ritmo e da una capacità di costruire e sbrogliare situazioni che rievoca a pieno titolo il tocco alla Lubitsch. Le caratteristiche peculiari del regista statunitense raggiungono qui un livello davvero sopraffino, si tratti dell’evidente artificiosità, del muoversi accelerato dei personaggi nei momenti cruciali oppure dell’attenta costruzione delle inquadrature come piccoli quadri o, meglio ancora, vignette di fumetto (ma non da meno sono i campi lunghi, come quello della hall dell’hotel ripresa a mezz’altezza in cui, all’improvviso, spunta in basso a destra la testa di Henckels/Edward Norton che guarda in macchina). In più, c’è un efficace uso dell’animazione a passo uno, in un crescendo che va dalla fantasiosa cremagliera che raggiunge l’hotel alle infantili funivie che fanno salire sui picchi i personaggi che poi ne scendono con un omaggio ai giochi invernali che viaggia a velocità da vecchia comica. Eppure, dietro a tutto questo, c’è una struttura estremamente complessa dal punto di vista narrativo oltre che da quello puramente tecnico. Anche se scivolano inavvertiti l’uno nell’altro, sono quattro i piani temporali che costituiscono la storia – il formato dello schermo varia di conseguenza - con importanza crescente man mano che si torna indietro nel tempo, ma, soprattutto e a dispetto dei molti sorrisi che dispensa, il racconto è permeato da un senso di decadenza e di morte (alto in modo inatteso è il numero di trapassi giovani e violenti) che lascia un inconfondibile retrogusto amaro. Del resto, il film si apre sul muro sbrecciato di un vecchio cimitero, prosegue nella casa dello Scrittore da Vecchio (Tom Wilkinson) che sembra un set lasciato a metà e si avvia davvero nel morituro Grand Budapest degli anni Sessanta, albergo dal pesante decoro di ispirazione sovietica in cui vagano pochi clienti solitari. Qui, lo Scrittore da Giovane (Jude Law) incontra il proprietario, signor Moustafa (F. Murray Abraham) che gli racconta di quando, con il nome di Zero, era l’ultimo dei fattorini ed era stato accolto sotto l’ala protettiva di quello che era il concierge principe agli inizi degli anni Trenta, quando l’aspetto e la vitalità dell’hotel erno ben altri. Questo M. Gustave (uno strepitoso Ralph Fiennes davvero a suo agio) è il vero signore dell’albergo, rispettato dai colleghi e amato dalla clientela – e, in particolar modo, dalle clienti, specie se anziane e danarose. Quando una di queste (ennesima prova da fachiro al trucco per Tilda Swinton) viene assassinata, Gustave è il primo dei sospettati anche perchè il testamento della nobildonna lo favorisce assai donandogli un quadro di inestimabile valore (ed è geniale la sostituzione dello stesso con un dipinto nello stile di Egon Schiele che raffigura un amore lesbico di cui per un mucchio di tempo nessuno si accorge): il nostro finisce perfino in galera, da cui evade appoggiandosi al gruppo di Ludwig (Harvey Keitel), ma, con l’assai fattivo aiuto di Zero (l’esordiente Tony Revolori) e fidanzata (Saoirse Ronan) riesce a evitare gli agguati del truce Jopling (Willem Defoe) e ad averla vinta in un lieto fine reso meno lieto dai flash-forward – se così li possiamo definire. Il tutto sullo sfondo di un mondo che cambia. Gustave e gli altri, in fondo, ballano sul Titanic del piccolo Stato di Zubrowska che viene invaso dal potente e nazisteggiante vicino sul cui treno salta subito Dmitri (Adrien Brody), l’erede della defunta baronessa che cerca di mettere le mani sulla di lei fortuna: pare inevitabile che la maggior parte dei personaggi non riesca a sopravvivere nella nuova era. Come si sarà potuto notare, il cast è di altissimo livello, eppure nessuno dà l’impressione di essere stato appiccicato lì per caso o per fare il lustrino, inclusi coloro che hanno solo poche battute come i fedelissimi del regista Bill Murray e Bob Balaban, i francesi Mathieu Amalric e Léa Seydoux o un irriconoscibile Owen Wilson: più spazio ha invece il redivivo (per me) Jeff Goldblum nei panni dell’avvocato Kovacs. Una volta giunti alla fine, vien voglia di ricominciare perché, poco ma sicuro, qualcosa che sfugge c’è: meditando su questo, si seguono con soddisfazione anche i titoli di coda, non tanto per il comunque travolgente concerto di balalaike quanto per il cosacco animato che danza in un angolo con performances segnate da un crescendo di entusiasmo. Expand
  66. Aug 16, 2014
    Great film by Wes Anderson. Saw it first when it was at limited release at a small theater.
    Reminded me of Moonrise Kingdom but with more eccentric characters.
    In summary, if you like Wes Anderson films, you'll like this one. I bought it because I like his style. Movies are an escape, an alternate reality and this movie has that atmosphere and feeling. At least worth a rental.
  67. Mar 22, 2014
    Wes Anderson's "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is a riotously funny and shockingly poignant opus with brilliant camerawork, satisfyingly characteristic production design, and some really adorable performances.
  68. Jan 5, 2015
    My only concern with The Grand Budapest Hotel is that: despite being Wes Anderson's strongest picture since The Fantastic Mr Fox and one that is gorgeously filmed with pitch perfect comedic performances, it is also a rather light film and not quite up to 'Best Picture' standards.
    That being said, The Grand Budapest is a burst of comic and creative genius - an insanely entertaining ride and with Ralph Fiennes, Anderson has found his quintessential leading man.
    Sophisticated, knotty, witty, heartfelt and laugh out loud funny, this ones comes highly recommended
  69. Apr 22, 2014
    Not as intriguing as usual, I think, but still a million times better than anything that has come out lately. I couldn't stop wondering how they managed to gather so many famous actors in one film. The movie itself is kind of slow compared to what we were promised in the trailer, but the humour is great and it is genuinely Wes Anderson.
  70. Jul 19, 2014
    This is truly one of the first comedies this year I've seen that not only made me laugh hysterically (for the most part), but made me appreciate the art of film making. Surprisingly enough, the humor is very vulgar and sometimes even dark, but it's funny never the less. But it wouldn't be the way it is without the help of its wonderful script, stylistic film-making, and amazing characters!This is truly one of the first comedies this year I've seen that not only made me laugh hysterically (for the most part), but made me appreciate the art of film making. Surprisingly enough, the humor is very vulgar and sometimes even dark, but it's funny never the less. But it wouldn't be the way it is without the help of its wonderful script, stylistic film-making, and amazing characters! It's a wonderfully funny and stylistic film you shouldn't miss. But honestly you can skip the first and last minute or two. Other than that, still watch it. I give it an A! Expand
  71. Jun 9, 2014
    A really enjoyable family ,good value film for all ages.excellent screenplay make us engaged from the beginning to end,beautiful stylish narration is very much interesting,a lot of characters , each and every actors n actress done fine job especially zero character. Above all wes anderson's superb direction make this film to a grand level of entertainment.
  72. Jul 14, 2014
    Bolstered by a fantastic cast, great premise, first class acting, and a funny script, The Grand Budapest Hotel ranks as Wes Anderson's best work to date.
  73. Jan 3, 2015
    An entertaining and quirky tale of murder, romance and the bond between a concierge and his apprentice. The star studded cast do a great job and deliver a fun drama with a healthy amount of comedy sprinkled here and there.
  74. Jun 6, 2014
    Unique visual exploration and stylish picture with unique dark humour successfully attaches my eyes and my laughter, makes "The Grand Budapest Hotel" proper to shout : "What could this film really exist?"
  75. Jun 18, 2014
  76. Feb 10, 2015
    There are things in nature, that can only be enjoyed by feeling it, not by photographing or explaining how great it is to others. This movie, to me was such an experience. Initially reluctant, i finally watched this movie on a train ride back to my home, and it impacted me on so many levels. Just see this movie to feel it. Its a must watch movie.
  77. Mar 31, 2014
    This is the best 'Wes Anderson film' to date, but not Wes Anderson's best film to date. It's large cast ensemble, sporadic punchlines and use of enframing lend itself to be very entertaining and tightly crafted from beginning to end, but also lend itself to be much of the same. Nevertheless, if you're a fan of Wes Anderson's catalog - or a casual moviegoer - this is certainly another workThis is the best 'Wes Anderson film' to date, but not Wes Anderson's best film to date. It's large cast ensemble, sporadic punchlines and use of enframing lend itself to be very entertaining and tightly crafted from beginning to end, but also lend itself to be much of the same. Nevertheless, if you're a fan of Wes Anderson's catalog - or a casual moviegoer - this is certainly another work that should be enjoyed by all. Expand
  78. Feb 28, 2015
    A masterpiece from every angle, loved every minute of it.

The costume design is perfect the soundtrack fits it in an ideal manner and the humour is good.

One of my favourites.
  79. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel was quite an entertaining film with excellent actors, a very imaginative story, and was very believable with the direction of Wes Anderson.
  80. Mar 30, 2014
    Just when you thought Wes Anderson could not get anymore Wes Andersony he puts out his hilarious and touching "The Grand Budapest Hotel". This film honestly has everything in it comedy, romance, and a little bit of suspense. The entire cast was amazing and many of Wes' favorites are back even for very small roles. The real star of the film is Ralph Fiennes as M. Gustave, he never misses aJust when you thought Wes Anderson could not get anymore Wes Andersony he puts out his hilarious and touching "The Grand Budapest Hotel". This film honestly has everything in it comedy, romance, and a little bit of suspense. The entire cast was amazing and many of Wes' favorites are back even for very small roles. The real star of the film is Ralph Fiennes as M. Gustave, he never misses a beat in this quirky and well paced film. All of the other actors are spot on and give such great performances that pulls this piece together in a complete and wonderful film experience. Definitely Wes' best chance at getting an Academy Award nomination as well as finally being recognized for his amazing talent! Expand
  81. Jun 30, 2014
    Going into this film I had no idea what it was about or what I was in for. The Grand Budapest Hotel is classified under the genre of drama and comedy, so I was expecting something much like Silver Linings Playbook; I was way off. This film is by far the most bizarre thing I have ever seen, weirdly creative dialogue and simple cinematography kept me entertained the whole runtime. AfterGoing into this film I had no idea what it was about or what I was in for. The Grand Budapest Hotel is classified under the genre of drama and comedy, so I was expecting something much like Silver Linings Playbook; I was way off. This film is by far the most bizarre thing I have ever seen, weirdly creative dialogue and simple cinematography kept me entertained the whole runtime. After recently finishing a collage photography class, one thing that really popped out was the simple yet so creative framing of the scenes. Every shot in the film held lines, whether it was the straight ledge that formed a line on the side of a building or the many paintings shown throughout, all shots captured lines of some sort. Camera work was very impressive and held the pacing and style of the movie perfectly. Editing knocked it out of the park with smart and creative scenes that played out into chapters which was how the movie was organized. The script was uniquely written with creative inflection that keeps you wondering what the next sentence will bring. My only concern with the film is that it was almost too abstract, and this took away from the scenes that followed because your mind was still stuck on the last one, trying to figure it out. All in all it’s a great film that executed a change of style and pacing, perfectly. The Grand Budapest Hotel is a must-see as long as you can stay awake and open your mind. In my opinion, the less you know about this movie, going in to it, the better. If the film settles well with critics, it will be one to keep an eye on when the Oscars roll around.  For me, personally, due to the abstract scene changes mentioned above, I'm going to need to watch it again, to pick up on what I may have missed…that's not a bad thing but speaks of how cerebral the story line was.  At this time, I've not watched all the 2014 releases, but of the ones I have seen, this ranks atop the list. Expand
  82. Feb 3, 2015
    The movie works on so many levels that it's hard not to be impressed. The Grand Budapest Hotel is laugh-out-loud funny one moment and heart-wrenchingly moving the other. This is Mr. Anderson's most artistically sophisticated film to date and it's one that'll leave you thinking about it long after the credits have rolled. It's also, in some respects, his darkest film. The Grand BudapestThe movie works on so many levels that it's hard not to be impressed. The Grand Budapest Hotel is laugh-out-loud funny one moment and heart-wrenchingly moving the other. This is Mr. Anderson's most artistically sophisticated film to date and it's one that'll leave you thinking about it long after the credits have rolled. It's also, in some respects, his darkest film. The Grand Budapest Hotel is essentially about how man has become indecent, obsessive and immoral over time and the bleak future that awaits this "barbaric slaughter-house that was once known as humanity". Mr. Anderson's unique visual technique resonates very strongly with the theme this time. The plot is intricate and the visual flair is reminiscent to a painting, one in which each stroke has its own story. But the heart of the film belongs to Mr. Ralph Fiennes who's stunning performance dominates the film even when he's not on screen. His character M. Gustave holds civilisation together with little more than impeccable manners and a cocky grin. And that's really all it takes to create the illusion. There's a certain charm here rarely seen in movies these days. A melancholy charm Expand
  83. May 9, 2014
    This is an odd one... I don't really know if it's a good movie or not... I love Wes Anderson, but this isn't anything like any of the previous ones... That's a bad thing. I miss the "innocent" Wes Anderson of Rushmore and The Life Aquatic. In conclusion: It's a good movie, but I wouldn't call it a Wes Anderson movie.
  84. Jun 8, 2014
    I can attest to this being one of the most visually interesting movies of all time. Every shot feels like a work of art, and a lot of time and effort was put into casting, cinematography, editing, and costume/set design. It's a perfectly realized world. With that being said, I didn't want the movie to end. At the same time, I wasn't riveted at what I was experiencing. It was theI can attest to this being one of the most visually interesting movies of all time. Every shot feels like a work of art, and a lot of time and effort was put into casting, cinematography, editing, and costume/set design. It's a perfectly realized world. With that being said, I didn't want the movie to end. At the same time, I wasn't riveted at what I was experiencing. It was the visual style that pulled me in, but not much else. The script is sharp and eloquently written, but it feels a tad overly classy. It's hard to say why I don't think this is perfect because it is (cinematically speaking). Perhaps a second viewing is in order. Whatever the case is, I recommend this to film buffs exclusively as one can appreciate the care and detail that went into each second of runtime. I don't know how casual watchers would interpret the film. It's something to see for yourself and be the judge of. Expand
  85. Jun 1, 2014
    It is safe to say that the Grand Budapst hotel is one of those breakthrough moments, a movie that is so beautiful realized from start to finish, that I almost doubted myself on the way home. could I really enjoyed that film that much?
  86. Jun 15, 2014
    As a general rule I love quirky, odd films and The Grand Budapest Hotel certainly delivers on that front.

The story will keep you involved and wanting to know more throughout the film, the style of filming also adds to the general positive atmosphere. With some strong acting and equally strong odd ball characters you are sure to enjoy this film. There are plenty of twists and turns

There are plenty of twists and turns and several cameo roles by some famous actors. But unfortunately this is where the positives end for me. The film feels like it is trying so very hard to look like a quirky independent production, but sadly missing the spot somewhat.

It seems with every character in this film, talking role or not they just have to be odd or doing something odd in the background which detracts from the great story. Also some of the "comic book" style scenes really do not work in this film.

Sadly this is a little bit of a miss for me, yes it does have a strong story and great atmosphere but struggles to hit the sweet spot. Certainly worth a rent for a family film with plenty of odd ball action and I would certainly sit down and watch it again sometime.
  87. Jun 5, 2014
    This movie is a beautiful mental travel, the decorations are sumptuous, childish, magic, splendid. A scenario which is authorized all, without fearing to exacerbate the feelings. Impression that this director takes its dreams with serious, and that made an insane good.
  88. Jul 18, 2015
    It is funny, gentle, smart, beautiful work of Wes Anderson here. The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of the best film of 2014, and that's not enough to describe its beauty.
  89. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I haven't seen any of the director's film, except for The Fantastic Mr Fox, and even then, only partially.
    Review:
    Pros: Fast pace, quirky, very funny and a very attractive story. Great acting from ensemble cast, especially Fiennes.
    Cons: Can't think of one.
    4.5/5 - Good enough to spend money to watch it in the cinema and perhaps buy the DVD.
  90. Jun 11, 2014
    Rich in both storytelling and visual style, The Grand Budapest Hotel is in an engaging, must see film. Ralph Fiennes is simply brilliant in his performance alongside his diverse and very well cast co-stars. My only complaint was that it did take a little while to settle into the film, but once settled, you are certainly in for quite an exciting ride.
  91. Jun 12, 2014
    Wes Anderson makes movies for perfectionists. His eye for detail and meticulous structure finds the perfect blend of story, tone and humour in The Grand Budapest Hotel. Ralph Fiennes shines as Gustave H, and is perhaps his best performance to date. Enjoyable, whimsical and instant replay value.
  92. Jun 23, 2014
    Artistically its fun and lively. The performances are all fun and the directing is top notch. The ending is surprisingly poignant for a movie this stylistic. It isn't Wes Anderson's best but it is a really good movie.
  93. Jul 4, 2014
    "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is a victory in every category of film-making, especially in editing, which is just wonderful. Ralph Fiennes gives the performance of a lifetime, his M. Gustave is MVP of the film. All in all, "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is very impressive.
  94. Jul 2, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel tem um ótimo elenco, tem um visual incrível, é divertido. Wes Anderson desembrulha uma excelente história no filme que parece uma casa de bonecas.
  95. Jul 2, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel has everything you could want in a Wes Anderson movie. An original and strange story, wonderfully stylized cinematography, perfectly chosen music/score and great actors giving great performances. I loved everything about this movie, and other than moonrise kingdom I think its Anderson best. This is a must see for fans of Wes Anderson or anyone that wants to see anThe Grand Budapest Hotel has everything you could want in a Wes Anderson movie. An original and strange story, wonderfully stylized cinematography, perfectly chosen music/score and great actors giving great performances. I loved everything about this movie, and other than moonrise kingdom I think its Anderson best. This is a must see for fans of Wes Anderson or anyone that wants to see an enchanting and well crafted story. Expand
  96. Jul 10, 2014
    What a fable, if you like fantastic tales, this is the movie to go for. Incredible in its looks and the story is absolutely fascinating, a lot of elements from reality such as the historic conflicts at the time with the nazis and the russians. It's kind of hard not to give a 10 to it, but I felt like the ending was a bit disappointing, a little bit vague.
  97. Feb 22, 2015
    This is one of the most quirkiest films that I have seen and I love it!

The setting and the time period that The Grand Budapest Hotel is set in is absolutely gorgeous and that is thanks to its perfect colorful cinematography and unique presentation of the movie. This movie has three aspect ratios which is a clever concept for a movie like this. Wes Anderson seems to be the director
    This is one of the most quirkiest films that I have seen and I love it!

Wes Anderson seems to be the director that can make an ordinary movie with a simple “cat and mouse” plot into something extraordinary and that makes me adore him as a filmmaker so much.

The cast performances were over the top and fits right in with the quriky tone of the movie. Ralph Fiennes’ performance is a highlight as he embraces his role brilliantly.

The tone and themes of the movie might be light but there were a couple of dark undertones in this movie especially at the end which I won’t spoil. Overall, the tone is still light and fun but when you analyze some parts of the movie, it gets a bit depressing.

Overall, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a wonderful, quirky, excellent movie with eye-candy cinematography, brilliant direction from Wes Anderson and the excellent cast performances especially from Ralph Fiennes.
  98. Jul 22, 2014
    Best film of the year for me so far, script is witty and crisp, performances are superb all round but Ralph Fiennes, take a bow son, "That's lovely Zero but I have to stop you there as the alarm is ringing" Priceless.
  99. Jul 21, 2015
    The Gran Budapest Hotel is beautifully shot and captures some lovely set pieces. The film displays several of Wes Anderson's common signatures. Ralph Finnes is outstanding in the lead role and he dominates the screen. Look out for some of Anderson's other collaborators scattered throughout the film.
  100. Jul 29, 2014
    Beautifully crafted !
    Very well set, decorated with Literature and art. It is a feast to the senses for those who yearn to be in the wonderful yesteryears !

1. Reviewed by: Ben Nicholson
    Jun 23, 2014
    Despite being one of his most ostentatious films to date, the setting, plot, performances and authorial tone on display marry together seamlessly to simultaneously heighten and smooth his trademark style.
  2. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    It is safe to say that The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of those breakthrough moments, a movie that is so beautifully realized from start to finish that I almost doubted myself on the way home. Could I really have enjoyed that film that much?
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Mar 27, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel is as artistically manicured as any of his seven previous movies, and richer comically and emotionally than most.