8.2

1. Mar 8, 2014
    All of which combines to make what feels like Wes Anderson’s most heartfelt film thus far. One that effortlessly straddles genres and works as both a nostalgic paean to a more innocent time and an examination of the very nature of storytelling itself. But most of all, it’s a beautifully realised account of the friendship that once formed between a lowly lobby boy and the legendary concierge who took him under his wing. Grand Budapest Hotel finds director Wes Anderson at the top of his game, delivering what may be his best film yet. Expand
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    Anderson's found his rhythm in film making, his previous faults - weak pacing, mirky story telling, cold characters - have faded with each film and TGDH signals his finest, tightest and strongest feature yet. Strong, funny and charming - a brilliant film.
  3. Mar 9, 2014
    If at any point you ever doubted director/writer Wes Anderson’s visual poetic skill, The Grand Budapest Hotel should slap some sense right back into you. Anderson’s newest film is as absurdist as it is serious, as artistic as it is comical, and as real as it is unreal. Instead of using the illusion of film to emulate realistic circumstances, Anderson uses reality to write poetry and turn it into something of a fantasy, a stylish nursery rhyme for adults. His efforts are beyond respectable – even beyond laudable – and although it’s early to say, I doubt any comedy this year will usurp Anderson’s throne.
    Some may argue that Anderson’s cinematographic style – ridiculously symmetric frames, angular pans, and a severely limited color palate, for starters – has become more of a shtick by now, a self-mockery of sorts. However, The Grand Budapest retorts that Anderson is not banking on these techniques to carry his film. Rather, they have become the backdrop to his stage, his hour-and-thirty-minute signature all over the film. Looking beyond that, the viewer discovers how much Anderson has truly matured in his narrative, writing, and directing skills. Behind the Anderson façade is a truly significant and beautifully crafted film, rife with guiltless humor, dramatic progression, and plenty of gasp-inducing moments (some from sheer admiration, and some from severed fingers).
    With The Grand Budapest, Anderson is not looking to write a film; he wants to tell a story. Principally evident in the multilayered frame narrative, he wants the audience to feel like they’re being told a story passed down among generations, re-imagined in fanciful colors and whimsical set pieces. The structure and timing of the storyline is absolutely flawless – the film never skips a beat. Neither over-edited nor under-edited, the story expresses capricious originality while maintaining gravity and poise. Like many of Anderson’s films, the writing is laced with subtle sociopolitical themes – however, with the turmoil of war and aristocratic corruption running concurrently with the plot, these themes tend to remain in the foreground of the narrative. Which isn’t a problem, because instead of detracting from the film’s hilarity, they instead add to its reputation.
    The Grand Budapest is gifted with a strong cast, lead by an impeccable performance from Ralph Fiennes. You would not have instantly pictured Fiennes as the ideal actor to play M. Gustave, the charming, fruity, and unashamedly frank concierge of the legendary Grand Budapest Hotel. However, once you see him in his prime, you can’t imagine anyone else better suited for the role. Just about everyone in the Anderson ensemble makes an appearance, Tony Revolori makes a stellar big-screen debut as the wide-eyed lobby boy/companion to M. Gustave, and Willem Dafoe plays an uproariously threatening and stylishly scary assassin, just to name some standouts. Anderson proves, for the umpteenth time, he is just as great a director as he is a writer, orchestrating many of the action/chase scenes with skillful awareness and a definite vision. Barney Pilling and Anderson work together to produce arguably the most appropriate editing I’ve ever seen in an Anderson film. The quick, sharp, and angular cuts sustain the storytelling vibe while preventing the boisterous colors and set pieces from becoming a strain on the eyes. In summary, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a powerfully designed, painstakingly acute, drop-dead fashionable, and laudably jocular comedy-drama that represents Wes Anderson’s skill set in his prime. We can only hope that he continues to create films that shine with such ingenuity and technical finesse.

FINAL SCORE: 95 (almost perfect ----------o---------- perfect)
  4. Mar 24, 2014
    This movie was near perfect for what it was. It was funny when it needed to be and serious when it needed to be. The set design was a work of art in itself. On top of that, the characters, plot, and presentation were more than enough to keep any viewer interested throughout the entire film. The only flaw I found was that they didn't develop some of the minor characters quite enough, making the story hard to follow at on instance. This is such a minor flaw, as that line of the film contributed nothing to the overall story. In the end, definitely worth you going to see. Expand
  5. Mar 8, 2014
    Other than Schindler's List, this is probably Ralph Fiennes' best work. He's hysterically funny, and his supporting cast is also incredibly solid. Wes Anderson has such an amazing sense of style - his shots/locations are just beautiful. From Anderson's catalog, I would give Moonrise Kingdom a slight edge, but only slight. Definitely stay throughout the credits - the music is infectious.
  6. May 3, 2014
    If you're in the mood for something really eccentric? You'll love it. If you were trying to choose between this and, say, Captain America? Wait until you're in the mood for quirky.
  7. Mar 16, 2014
    I gave up on Wes Anderson a few years ago since I thought he had become too self-absorbed and not funny, so this film was a complete surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was constantly inventive, delightful visually, and often laugh-out-loud funny. And the parade of excellent acting was amazing -- everyone had a fun character to play and everyone played his part to the hilt, yet knew just how far to go. Actually I wished some of the actors who made such a great impression in a few seconds had more to do. My only criticism is that I thought the final chase went on too long and the film lagged a bit, and I think it was because Anderson did not quite catch the tone he was looking for, but after such a fun film (for a change), I was willing to forgive him a slight misstep. Ralph Fiennes was wonderful -- could anyone else today play this role with just the right mix of gravity and lightness? The actor who played Zero was wonderful too. Will anyone remember this terrific film next year when the Academy Awards come around? Best comedy I've seen since Mel Brooks' The Producers -- that's how long it's been since I have seen a really good comedy. Expand
  8. Jun 29, 2014
    "There are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity..."

The Grand Budapest Hotel is pure brilliancy and with out a doubt the best Wes Anderson film to date. I think it's rather amazing that Wes can make one exceptional film after another as there are only a few directors nowadays that can be held on the same level as him.
    Of course If you have not seen any Wes Anderson Film before this than you might not be able to appreciate all the fine details he is able to incorporate into this. I was thinking only a few movies had the chance of being my favorite movie of the year and this was nowhere near it yet surprisingly now after watching this i have it as my top movie of the year beating out Captain America: The Winter Soldier by quite a few points.

The films narration is beautiful done and tells the wonderful story of Gustave (Ralph Fiennes) the lead concierge at The Grand Budapest Hotel in the fictional country of Zubrowka and the hotels new lobby boy Zero (Tony Revolori). After Madame D. (Tilda Swinton) one of Gustave's lovers pasts away he and Zero immediately head to her wake upon arriving they stumble upon the reading of her will in which Gustave finds out that she has left him "Boy with Apple" which happens to be a very valuable painting. This makes Madame's son Dmitri (Adrien Brody) very angry and he tries to get Gustave thrown out of his house despite him not being the actual owner of it yet. After showing Zero the painting Gustave and Zero steal the painting and hastaly leave the area set to sell it off and lay low for awhile although before they can do this Gustave is accused of murdering Madame D. and is thrown in prison.

What ensues from here is one hell of a marvelous thrill ride set to entertain all who watch it. The film has a great balance of humor just like all Wes Anderson films yet i found myself laughing a lot more this time around and i absolutely lost it when Willem Dafoe's character Jopling threw Jeff Goldblum's characters cat out of the window especially when Goldblum looks out the window to see what has happened to it. Wes is the kind of director that like to work with the same actors over and over again if you have seen any of his other films it would be hard not to see a familiar face in this. Seeing so many movies nowadays with a all-star cast that end up being rather underwhelming its nice to see that a director can still put together such a masterful cast and make everyone brilliant it in.

Overall i give it a 9.5 It's going to be hard to beat out this movie as my favorite yet i thought the same thing with "12 Years A Slave" and now i have that as my fourth or fifth favorite film of the year so far. Still though i thoroughly enjoyed this movie more so than any other film this year and im seeing only two movies left with a chance to overtake it.
  9. Mar 16, 2014
    With its star-studded cast, beautiful scenery, and fast-moving plot, The Grand Budapest Hotel hits all the right notes, and is one of Anderson's best films.
  10. Mar 8, 2014
    Fantastic Mister Anderson...

Another example of pure story-telling and immersing cinematography in a great movie by Wes Anderson.
    Absolute must see!
  11. Mar 22, 2014
    This film between symmetry, beautiful lines, and themes of love, loyalty and what defines true character was masterfully concieved and excecuted, a truly excellent experience.
  12. Mar 29, 2014
    Wonderfully visual, funny, perfectly balanced adventure that kept my eyes wide open for the entire movie.
    The backdrop was extremely well placed and despite the layers it was easy to follow and hugely enjoyable.
    The Grand Hotel Budapest has all the ingredients to become a classic.
    Go and see it.
  13. Jul 25, 2014
    I have never seen a Wes Anderson movie before and I was quite pleased with this one. It Is defiantly a different movie with many weird scenes/ dialogue but that is what makes this movie really funny and memorable. The actors were all casted really well. With some well known actors having small but very well done roles. A surprisingly well done movie.
  14. Apr 22, 2014
    I can't believe it got 18 negative reviews. This film is a chef d'oeuvre of modern cinema. All the personnages are wonderfully built interact in a Wes Anderson universe full of optimism, humanism and humor.
  15. Jun 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie feels like that rare occasion where you find something real good in a market for a very cheap price, it's that one of a kind thing that leaves a very good taste and just makes you wanting more, the care for the color, shots and details in all the movie is highly perceptible, the character development were just 10 out of 10, i could see Wes Anderson's mark everywhere, but yet it is Wes kind of movie end, the movie feels a little unfinished. The critics about 19º Century Nobility life and ways where pretty visible, differently from the II War ones, that even slight as they were, can be seen as pretty deep if better observed.

95/100 Movie, will buy a copy.
  16. May 12, 2014
    Wonderful and delightful and funny and inspired. Made with Wes Anderson's normal fastidious attention to detail, with careful compositions and eccentrically droll characters (with the exception of the inspired M. Gustave played by Ralph Fiennes, a mannered sophisticate with just the right amount of rapscallion that instead of quirky tics, he's a man of desires and decency, an almost real human being).

The Grand Budapest Hotel operates on a more plot-centric level than any of Anderson's previous films, and yet retains all his charms and idiosyncrasies, yet by not flaunting his mannerisms as character development or deepness of thought, he actually winds up saying more about everyone and everything by letting them speak for themselves. The melancholy passing of the old world is captured in the sheer joy and exuberance of the scenes taking place there, so that when we are lurched back to the present and the film slows down and hits the notes of normal Anderson faire, it carries with it a sense of loss and sorrow.

The juxtaposition of the looming war, with its brutality and chaos, also inspires the scenes in the past as they are full of atypical for Anderson indecency. From the dropping of F-bombs to the explicit, yet not grotesque, gore. These seeming anachronisms, that work on two different levels, are both funny and deep and since they don't just have to be deep they actually work perfectly.

The movie plays out in three different aspect ratios, a fun little treat for cinema fans who notice. Although it should be said that the majority of the film takes place in the past and as such uses a near full screen ratio (a relic of old European films), which is a little disappointing considering how gorgeous the filmmaking is. It could have been bigger and better.
  17. Mar 31, 2014
    We are not even halfway through the year yet and I have may have just seen the best movie of 2014. Wes Anderson has once again delivered another excellent film that is a must watch. Film buffs and Wes Anderson fans will adore it immediately like I did and if you have never seen a Wes Anderson film before take it from me that you are in for a treat. However, far away the nearest theater showing this film is from your house it is worth it as this is an excellent film and I rarely say that when reviewing a film. Watching this film makes me want to watch the rest of Wes Andersons movies because I really hope that they are all as outstanding as the two I’ve already seen. This film also has me excited about whatever Wes Anderson is doing next. IF it isn’t clear already this is an amazing movie that needs to be seen by everyone (although maybe not the kiddies). Oh and one more thing make sure you stick around during the credits. Trust me. Expand
  18. Jul 31, 2014
    First, and foremost I can't even begin to delve into this miraculous piece of filmmaking without first, thinking it's director. While my sheer words, simply can't due the film any justice whatsoever. Wes Anderson, the creative mind behind the classics such as; "The Royal Tenenbaums", "Rushmore", "The Life Aquatic: With Steve Zissou" and last years amazing "Moonrise Kingdom. Anderson also directed the great kid flick "The Fantastic Mr. Fox". All of Wes Anderson films feature a zany, wacky, and fun energetic appeal, that not only make them insanely hilarious; but, unforgettable. His latest, "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is quite possibly his greatest achievement. The writing is simply put, terrific. There is of course the grand ole Anderson appeal, however, this film is more sharp and on target every step of the way. The success can also be attributed in part to the incredible cast of characters. Ralph Fiennes undoubtedly steals the show portraying Monsieur Gustave H, a loyal concierge of the "Grand Budapest". But I also have a feeling that audiences will be shocked by the real and authentic performance, that is turned in by newcomer Tony Revolori. This day and age in cinema were not usually graced with the pleasure of originality, in fact it's rather come and gone. Thanks to Anderson, and his creative ingenuity, chances are you're not just going to be laughing hysterically (and trust me, when I say, YOU will) but feel a sympathetic story of love, jealousy, rage, and betrayal. "The Grand Budapest Hotel" basically has something, for everyone.

The story (written by sir, Wes Anderson himself) takes place across the span of a few different time periods, split up into several parts. In the present the audience meets Zero Moustfa (F. Murray Abraham) the new owner of the Grand Budapest, who recalls his life as an infamous lobby boy, under the strict direction of notorious concierge, Monsieur Gustave H. Rewinding back to 1932, Gustave (Ralph Fiennes) is a gigalo, known for his endeavours with older women. After his most personal client, Madame D (Tilda Swinton) mysterious dies at the age of 84. Thus, in her will, leaving a priceless painting known only as "Boy With Apple" to sir Gustave H himself. Causing a spiral of events, framing the innocent man. However, with the help of his loyal sidekick, Zero. Will prove his innocence, once and for all.

Speaking on behalf of the film's set design earlier. There is so much little, attention to detail, down to the last wall fixture. Chances are, moviegoers will not see a set like this one. Taking into account Wes Anderson's, corky cinematography, at the same time it has the look, and feel of an old fashion murder mystery caper. However, Anderson still leaves his watermark, in his inclusive character development, and vigorous storytelling capability. In other words, the film is not as spectacular without it's extremely talented band of actors. Ralph Fiennes, idealistically steals almost every scene, of every line. The comedic timing, and his rapid fire of lines, is nothing short of perfection. He is extremely funny when he needs to be, but also, emotional when the story line demands it. Newcomer, Tony Revolori, get's his first shot at Hollywood, starring in his first film. I must say, after this performance, he has a bright career ahead of him. The list itself, goes on and on. All of your regular Anderson favorites make their appearances such as; Owen Wilson, Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Edward Norton, and Willem Dafoe. Who each have their great moments, and will leave a huge smile on your face.

When it boils down, and the film reaches it's conclusion and climax. The deepest intentions of the film's plot may skew over the head of most mainstream moviegoers. Anderson's whimsical natures is still in tact, for most of the duration. However, he does deteriorate a tad, and makes this film more relatable with his characters. "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is like a well oiled machine. An assembly line, making the perfect movie. Everything is exactly in place, as it should be. Not to mention, extremely funny. In a new age, where sequels, reboots and adaptations are being jammed down audience's throats. There is a silver lining, and his name is Wes Anderson. Most people seem to be afraid to venture to their local cineplexes, as they should, paying upwards of $11 a ticket. The Grand Budapest, is one of possibly three movies a year, that is cinematic in all its aspects, and just amazing. Something that is extremely thought-provoking, serious, and has a message. I, myself was deeply moved by the inner connections with our characters. This simply goes without saying, "Grand Budapest Hotel" is easily the best film I have so far, seen this year.

A+

By: Nate Adams

Directed By: Wes Anderson
    Rated: R
    Run-Time: 100 mins
    Release Date: March 28th (Wide)
    Studio: Fox Searchlight
    Thanks For Stopping Buy.
  19. Apr 16, 2014
    Wes Anderson seems to have a style of film-making (quirky) that you either love or hate. This film felt more like his animated "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" than any other of his films. It was like watching a live cartoon. I really like the fact that he cares about every scene he films and attempts to film it in a way we have not seen before. I would rank Wes Anderson up with the Coen Brothers for his craft. I thought all the actors in the film were terrific and I had a grin on my face the entire time I watched it. I was sorry when it ended, unlike many films I where I look at my watch several times wondering when it would end. Expand
  20. Apr 20, 2014
    The style and quality of this movie is just incredible. Such eye for details throughout the movie, be it characters and their costumes, the sets, and last but not least of course the conversations. This movie thrills, manages to shock just a little bit and the absurdity is fantastic. Need I say more? Go and enjoy this movie!
  21. Jul 4, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel is a hilarious, highly-entertaining yet intelligent comedy that, although sometimes crowded both narratively and visually, is a constant joy to view. With an amazing performance by Ralph Fiennes - the film is yet another success for the brilliant Wes Anderson and will surely please fans of his works.
  22. Mar 29, 2014
    An exquisite entertaining ride driven by the artistic and originating classy-toned style of it all. The editing is crisply foreboding through the vision of Wes Anderson's comical cinematic direction. He brings together yet another star-studded cast into his fantasy world and focuses on real morals in the manner alike a loony tunes episode. The Grand Budepest Hotel is a near perfect rare film I have always imagined, and has now finally been put on screen. Expand
  23. Jun 22, 2014
    Charming, ironic, funny, sad and nostalgic story. Beautiful art direction, meticulously crafted characters and dialogues.

One of the best movies of the decade for sure.
  24. Apr 22, 2014
    This one managed to completely live up to my hopes. First off, like all Wes Anderson films, it has a very distinctive look, which is endlessly gorgeous, but I think this one is the most beautiful of his works for me. Every set piece, every costume, every shot, every everything, was absolutely breathtaking. I would be hard-pressed to find a shot that is not beautiful. The amount of symmetry in practically every shot was also very impressive and shows you how much work was put into this one. One thing that differentiaties this one from other works of his that I have seen is how the exterior shots of buildings (such as the hotel) look almost animated from a distance even though they are obviously not. It was a very odd, yet awesome touch. On top of the beauty of the film, it is absolutely hilarious. Ralph Fiennes makes for a hilarious main character (not really the lead) and there were so many scenes with him that were absolutely hilarious. I honestly never expected to laugh as much as I did, but this was easily the funniest Anderson film I have seen yet. On top of these positives, the story was incredibly engrossing and never really caused me to lose any interest, as there was no real lull in the film. Overall, The Grand Budapest Hotel is a great film that is probably my favorite Anderson film to date and will likely wind up being one of my favorites of 2014. Expand
  25. May 3, 2014
    Holy hell! What an Astonishing film, easily the funniest film/best film I've seen in years, delightful splendid and heart driving to the brink of collapse, my lungs felt as if they were to burst. Wes Andreston is a poet, artist and this truly has to be one of his finniest accomplishments in cinematography, never have i seen a film completely leaving me absolutely speechless due to the bizarre and unreal, yet somehow believable events that take place throughout the film. Simply enough the film is about a lonely Lobby boy and the man that decided to take him under his wing this creating a spectacular relationship of friendship and the odd occurrences that were to come.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a solid 10/10.
  26. Apr 15, 2014
    Su di un film come questo, o ti limiti a ‘è una meraviglia da vedere assolutamente’ o ci scrivi una tesi di laurea. Qualsiasi soluzione intermedia finisce per risultare incompleta già mentre la si compone, ma, visto che la prima alternativa è un po’ sbrigativa e non c’è il tempo per la seconda, vedrò di arrampicarmi sugli specchi, mettendo innanzitutto le mani avanti: non ho letto nulla delle opere di Stefan Zweig a cui la pellicola è ispirata. L’ultimo lavoro di Wes Anderson mette in mostra una leggerezza e una godibilità rare, regalando al pubblico poco meno di cento minuti di sorridente divertimento sorretto da un invidiabile senso del ritmo e da una capacità di costruire e sbrogliare situazioni che rievoca a pieno titolo il tocco alla Lubitsch. Le caratteristiche peculiari del regista statunitense raggiungono qui un livello davvero sopraffino, si tratti dell’evidente artificiosità, del muoversi accelerato dei personaggi nei momenti cruciali oppure dell’attenta costruzione delle inquadrature come piccoli quadri o, meglio ancora, vignette di fumetto (ma non da meno sono i campi lunghi, come quello della hall dell’hotel ripresa a mezz’altezza in cui, all’improvviso, spunta in basso a destra la testa di Henckels/Edward Norton che guarda in macchina). In più, c’è un efficace uso dell’animazione a passo uno, in un crescendo che va dalla fantasiosa cremagliera che raggiunge l’hotel alle infantili funivie che fanno salire sui picchi i personaggi che poi ne scendono con un omaggio ai giochi invernali che viaggia a velocità da vecchia comica. Eppure, dietro a tutto questo, c’è una struttura estremamente complessa dal punto di vista narrativo oltre che da quello puramente tecnico. Anche se scivolano inavvertiti l’uno nell’altro, sono quattro i piani temporali che costituiscono la storia – il formato dello schermo varia di conseguenza - con importanza crescente man mano che si torna indietro nel tempo, ma, soprattutto e a dispetto dei molti sorrisi che dispensa, il racconto è permeato da un senso di decadenza e di morte (alto in modo inatteso è il numero di trapassi giovani e violenti) che lascia un inconfondibile retrogusto amaro. Del resto, il film si apre sul muro sbrecciato di un vecchio cimitero, prosegue nella casa dello Scrittore da Vecchio (Tom Wilkinson) che sembra un set lasciato a metà e si avvia davvero nel morituro Grand Budapest degli anni Sessanta, albergo dal pesante decoro di ispirazione sovietica in cui vagano pochi clienti solitari. Qui, lo Scrittore da Giovane (Jude Law) incontra il proprietario, signor Moustafa (F. Murray Abraham) che gli racconta di quando, con il nome di Zero, era l’ultimo dei fattorini ed era stato accolto sotto l’ala protettiva di quello che era il concierge principe agli inizi degli anni Trenta, quando l’aspetto e la vitalità dell’hotel erno ben altri. Questo M. Gustave (uno strepitoso Ralph Fiennes davvero a suo agio) è il vero signore dell’albergo, rispettato dai colleghi e amato dalla clientela – e, in particolar modo, dalle clienti, specie se anziane e danarose. Quando una di queste (ennesima prova da fachiro al trucco per Tilda Swinton) viene assassinata, Gustave è il primo dei sospettati anche perchè il testamento della nobildonna lo favorisce assai donandogli un quadro di inestimabile valore (ed è geniale la sostituzione dello stesso con un dipinto nello stile di Egon Schiele che raffigura un amore lesbico di cui per un mucchio di tempo nessuno si accorge): il nostro finisce perfino in galera, da cui evade appoggiandosi al gruppo di Ludwig (Harvey Keitel), ma, con l’assai fattivo aiuto di Zero (l’esordiente Tony Revolori) e fidanzata (Saoirse Ronan) riesce a evitare gli agguati del truce Jopling (Willem Defoe) e ad averla vinta in un lieto fine reso meno lieto dai flash-forward – se così li possiamo definire. Il tutto sullo sfondo di un mondo che cambia. Gustave e gli altri, in fondo, ballano sul Titanic del piccolo Stato di Zubrowska che viene invaso dal potente e nazisteggiante vicino sul cui treno salta subito Dmitri (Adrien Brody), l’erede della defunta baronessa che cerca di mettere le mani sulla di lei fortuna: pare inevitabile che la maggior parte dei personaggi non riesca a sopravvivere nella nuova era. Come si sarà potuto notare, il cast è di altissimo livello, eppure nessuno dà l’impressione di essere stato appiccicato lì per caso o per fare il lustrino, inclusi coloro che hanno solo poche battute come i fedelissimi del regista Bill Murray e Bob Balaban, i francesi Mathieu Amalric e Léa Seydoux o un irriconoscibile Owen Wilson: più spazio ha invece il redivivo (per me) Jeff Goldblum nei panni dell’avvocato Kovacs. Una volta giunti alla fine, vien voglia di ricominciare perché, poco ma sicuro, qualcosa che sfugge c’è: meditando su questo, si seguono con soddisfazione anche i titoli di coda, non tanto per il comunque travolgente concerto di balalaike quanto per il cosacco animato che danza in un angolo con performances segnate da un crescendo di entusiasmo. Expand
  27. Jul 19, 2014
    This is truly one of the first comedies this year I've seen that not only made me laugh hysterically (for the most part), but made me appreciate the art of film making. Surprisingly enough, the humor is very vulgar and sometimes even dark, but it's funny never the less. But it wouldn't be the way it is without the help of its wonderful script, stylistic film-making, and amazing characters! It's a wonderfully funny and stylistic film you shouldn't miss. But honestly you can skip the first and last minute or two. Other than that, still watch it. I give it an A! Expand
  28. Jun 9, 2014
    A really enjoyable family ,good value film for all ages.excellent screenplay make us engaged from the beginning to end,beautiful stylish narration is very much interesting,a lot of characters , each and every actors n actress done fine job especially zero character. Above all wes anderson's superb direction make this film to a grand level of entertainment.
  29. Apr 11, 2014
    As a frequent movie goes, I'm always at the movies. I'm watching whatever comes out that week. Whatever comes out, I'm always there. As this week came around, there really wasn't anything coming out. Rio was quite a joke and the second one seemed worse. Oculus looked like a joke of a movie and didn't interest me. So I went to see this strange movie by Wes Anderson. Wes in my eyes is a hot and cold director. I've only seen two of his movies. Royal Tennebaums (good) and Moonrise Kingdom (bad) were the only two I've seen. It did get my attention because of the RT score and I did like RT. I wasn't disappointed, as this movie is one of my favorite comedies of all time.

It follows the adventures of M. Gustave and his lobby boy as he is framed from murder. The very crass and vulgar movie is saved by this very weird stylish film. Everything (and I mean everything) fits together and the superstar cast doesn't disappoint. I could go on and on about this litter wonderful movie, but I could talk for hours on it. If you like Anderson, I would recommend it. If you don't then I might stay away. Though I know a lot of people who doesn't like him actually liked him. Overall 2014 is saved no matter what happens after this. If Godzilla fails and everything else just fails...it doesn't matter. This year was saved with the top 3 comedy movie ever. 9.5/10
  30. Apr 2, 2014
    A jumpy, exciting, and stylish comedy with enough ridiculous comedy to make you piss yourself. The ensemble does well with the quirkiness of the script, especially this newcomer Tony Revolori, who I daresay was more enjoyable than anyone other than Ralph Fiennes, who is perfect for this role. All in all, it might be a practice for style rather than story, but its over-the-top feel makes it all the more enjoyable. Expand
  31. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is awesome in everything. Your actors are very funny and great, howeber is stil most imporant the argument . In my opinion this movie have an amazing original soundtrack which transform in a emblem of your type Expand
  32. Apr 13, 2014
    Wes Anderson is at it again with his style and antics that we've all come to know and love. With this being his biggest film yet, a huge all-star cast guides the film along rather smoothly. Ralph Fiennes is delightfully funny in the lead role of the film. Obviously there's way too many other cast members for me to go over so I'll just keep it short by saying that everyone does a marvelous job in the film. There are no wasted actors or appearances in the film. Everyone served a purpose in one way or another. Despite a somewhat anticlimactic final act, it's still yet another solid addition to Wes Anderson's great line of films. Fans of His previous work will almost certainly love it. Non-fans might still appreciate it for its zaniness and the great cast. Overall, definitely worth a view. Expand
  33. Jun 6, 2014
    Unique visual exploration and stylish picture with unique dark humour successfully attaches my eyes and my laughter, makes "The Grand Budapest Hotel" proper to shout : "What could this film really exist?"
  34. Apr 18, 2014
    Wes Anderson's quirky "Grand Budapest Hotel" straddles the line between comedy and drama effortlessly, producing a film that is comical, heartfelt, thoughtfully realized, supremely entertaining and deeply rewarding. And the cast...Ralph FIennes makes the film. His energetic lead performance is infused with a crackling wit, yet is also quite moving. The supporting players on show are also quite good: Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Tilda Swinton and newcomer Tony Revolori stand out to me. Pure entertainment. I loved "The Grand Budapest Hotel" and cannot wait to see it again. Expand
  35. Jun 12, 2014
    A few years back, I considered watching Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom, but unfortunately, I stocked this movie in my watch list and until this day I didn't watch it. We have a familiar stocking case of The Grand Budapest Hotel, but I was more intrigued by the colorful cast of Ralph Fiennes, Adrien Brody and especially the lovely most talented Tilda Swinton (Only Lovers Left Alive, Snowpiercer) and a bunch of huge talented people in this film. The Grand Budapest Hotel carries the misadventures of M. Gustave H., his Lobby Boy and the accusation of murder. Wes Anderson has a unique style of filmmaking, starting of the the top notch performances, especially the cinematography and the very weird visual effects the deprives the movie from the real world into a fantastic sort of magical world. Every single frame in this film is collected and masterfully crafted into the picture, keeping the film from A to Z neat, mesmerizing and very intriguing. The Grand Budapest Hotel is surprisingly violent, crude and most wonderfully entertaining and heartwarming. This kind of filmmaking does not suit all kinds of people, however the movie overall is unique, original one of a kind masterpiece with outstanding performances, mesmerizing cinematography and a very intelligent, fun screenplay. The Grand Budapest Hotel is magical! Expand
  36. May 10, 2014
    What else can we ask for? It's got Wes Anderson as director, a smart, funny and unexpected screenplay, with an amazing top notch cast that delivered awesome performances. It is a one of a kind journey. Anderson, once again, has been able to amaze us with an original masterpiece with a unique style and storytelling.
  37. Jul 25, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel es una de esas película de comedia que no les importa las irregularidades que tiene el film, y que por lo tanto la convierte en una buena película debido a un buen encaje de esas irregularidades.
  38. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel was quite an entertaining film with excellent actors, a very imaginative story, and was very believable with the direction of Wes Anderson.
  39. Mar 30, 2014
    Just when you thought Wes Anderson could not get anymore Wes Andersony he puts out his hilarious and touching "The Grand Budapest Hotel". This film honestly has everything in it comedy, romance, and a little bit of suspense. The entire cast was amazing and many of Wes' favorites are back even for very small roles. The real star of the film is Ralph Fiennes as M. Gustave, he never misses a beat in this quirky and well paced film. All of the other actors are spot on and give such great performances that pulls this piece together in a complete and wonderful film experience. Definitely Wes' best chance at getting an Academy Award nomination as well as finally being recognized for his amazing talent! Expand
  40. Aug 9, 2014
    Una película con toques sutiles de comedia, artística y técnicamente una obra maestra, con muy buena dirección y un magnifico guión, que dice presente en las listas de premios de las siguiente temporada.
  41. Jun 30, 2014
    Going into this film I had no idea what it was about or what I was in for. The Grand Budapest Hotel is classified under the genre of drama and comedy, so I was expecting something much like Silver Linings Playbook; I was way off. This film is by far the most bizarre thing I have ever seen, weirdly creative dialogue and simple cinematography kept me entertained the whole runtime. After recently finishing a collage photography class, one thing that really popped out was the simple yet so creative framing of the scenes. Every shot in the film held lines, whether it was the straight ledge that formed a line on the side of a building or the many paintings shown throughout, all shots captured lines of some sort. Camera work was very impressive and held the pacing and style of the movie perfectly. Editing knocked it out of the park with smart and creative scenes that played out into chapters which was how the movie was organized. The script was uniquely written with creative inflection that keeps you wondering what the next sentence will bring. My only concern with the film is that it was almost too abstract, and this took away from the scenes that followed because your mind was still stuck on the last one, trying to figure it out. All in all it’s a great film that executed a change of style and pacing, perfectly. The Grand Budapest Hotel is a must-see as long as you can stay awake and open your mind. In my opinion, the less you know about this movie, going in to it, the better. If the film settles well with critics, it will be one to keep an eye on when the Oscars roll around.  For me, personally, due to the abstract scene changes mentioned above, I'm going to need to watch it again, to pick up on what I may have missed…that's not a bad thing but speaks of how cerebral the story line was.  At this time, I've not watched all the 2014 releases, but of the ones I have seen, this ranks atop the list. Expand
  42. Jun 10, 2014
    An incredibly enjoyable movie, The Grand Budapest Hotel combines wonky eccentricity with excellent acting and just plain charm. It's a lot of fun from start to finish.
  43. May 21, 2014
    I have watched film called “The Grand Budapest Hotel”. Film director Wes Anderson creates his own world, full of colourful characters and nicely warm atmosphere. Every little detail and every set made me speechless. From lead character Gustave H.'s purple jacket to the title of the newspaper announcing the war. Anderson has given thought and attention to everything.
    The plot is not very
    important, because it is merely a vehicle for the stunning visuals, the dark humour and the rapid-fire dialogue. It's all about a hotel concierge, Gustave H., who is being chased by various villains for stealing a painting. Some of the scenes are very funny, but there is always a darker tone because of the war. Anderson doesn't shy away from extreme violence, but he shows it almost comical manner.
    Ralph Fiennes is acting as the Gustave H., who never despairs, even in the most unfavourable circumstances. He is supported by a large number of star actors, who are sometimes almost unrecognizable. Tilda Swinton gets rather little screen time, as does Harvey Keitel. Although, film director`s choice of actors is fantastic and even side scenes are played very well.
    The plot is not always very easy to follow, and the dialogue is fast. There are the great camera angles and the wonderful detailed sets to pay attention to. I think by seeing the film a second time you can discover lots of things you didn't notice the first time. Both camera and sound operators did a great job, that is why it catches attention of audience.
    I would recommend this film for those who are searching for the film, that could change their world-view and make them laugh at the same time. It is fulfilled with irony and colour. It must be watched.
  44. Jun 1, 2014
    It is safe to say that the Grand Budapst hotel is one of those breakthrough moments, a movie that is so beautiful realized from start to finish, that I almost doubted myself on the way home. could I really enjoyed that film that much?
  45. Jun 5, 2014
    This movie is a beautiful mental travel, the decorations are sumptuous, childish, magic, splendid. A scenario which is authorized all, without fearing to exacerbate the feelings. Impression that this director takes its dreams with serious, and that made an insane good.
  46. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I haven't seen any of the director's film, except for The Fantastic Mr Fox, and even then, only partially.
    Review:
    Pros: Fast pace, quirky, very funny and a very attractive story. Great acting from ensemble cast, especially Fiennes.
    Cons: Can't think of one.
    4.5/5 - Good enough to spend money to watch it in the cinema and perhaps buy the DVD.
  47. Jun 11, 2014
    Rich in both storytelling and visual style, The Grand Budapest Hotel is in an engaging, must see film. Ralph Fiennes is simply brilliant in his performance alongside his diverse and very well cast co-stars. My only complaint was that it did take a little while to settle into the film, but once settled, you are certainly in for quite an exciting ride.
  48. Jul 4, 2014
    "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is a victory in every category of film-making, especially in editing, which is just wonderful. Ralph Fiennes gives the performance of a lifetime, his M. Gustave is MVP of the film. All in all, "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is very impressive.
  49. Jul 2, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel tem um ótimo elenco, tem um visual incrível, é divertido. Wes Anderson desembrulha uma excelente história no filme que parece uma casa de bonecas.
  50. Jul 2, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel has everything you could want in a Wes Anderson movie. An original and strange story, wonderfully stylized cinematography, perfectly chosen music/score and great actors giving great performances. I loved everything about this movie, and other than moonrise kingdom I think its Anderson best. This is a must see for fans of Wes Anderson or anyone that wants to see an enchanting and well crafted story. Expand
  51. Jul 10, 2014
    What a fable, if you like fantastic tales, this is the movie to go for. Incredible in its looks and the story is absolutely fascinating, a lot of elements from reality such as the historic conflicts at the time with the nazis and the russians. It's kind of hard not to give a 10 to it, but I felt like the ending was a bit disappointing, a little bit vague.
  52. Jul 18, 2014
    Ralph Fiennes played such a hilarious character accompanied and I thought Adrian Brody and Willem Dafoe were funny as brothers. I also especially loved the style of the miniature sets as I loved the style.
  53. Jul 22, 2014
    Best film of the year for me so far, script is witty and crisp, performances are superb all round but Ralph Fiennes, take a bow son, "That's lovely Zero but I have to stop you there as the alarm is ringing" Priceless.
  54. Jul 29, 2014
    Beautifully crafted !
    Very well set, decorated with Literature and art. It is a feast to the senses for those who yearn to be in the wonderful yesteryears !

1. Reviewed by: Ben Nicholson
    Jun 23, 2014
    Despite being one of his most ostentatious films to date, the setting, plot, performances and authorial tone on display marry together seamlessly to simultaneously heighten and smooth his trademark style.
  2. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    It is safe to say that The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of those breakthrough moments, a movie that is so beautifully realized from start to finish that I almost doubted myself on the way home. Could I really have enjoyed that film that much?
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Mar 27, 2014
    The Grand Budapest Hotel is as artistically manicured as any of his seven previous movies, and richer comically and emotionally than most.