7.2

1. May 13, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is known as one of the greatest pieces of literature ever to be written. It holds a special place in many people's hearts and that goes without needing an explanation. I have read the book, I loved the book, and if you haven't read the book, see this movie.

I think that this movie is very hard to keep on a separate scale as the book. I mostly try to view movie adaptations as a separate piece than the book because I know it will never live up, but this one made that very hard because this was the book. This movie was a straight up copy of the book and that is one of the reasons I disliked it. It literally takes exact quotes from the book and adds them to the film, actually almost all the dialogue are quotes from the book. If you have ever had to do a book report on a book you really didn't want to read, you would have thought to just watch the movie, right? Most of the time this doesn't work because of the filmmakers creativity making the story a bit different to fit modern audiences. You could have easily just watched this movie for your high school book report and gotten an A.

I think there is merit in changing the story a bit and tweaking it to maybe suit a larger audience. But when you just take a book and than just simply make a movie out of it, it takes away the spirit of that source material. Although this movie sure was ambitious, it lacked the spirit of the book that made it so endearing.

Now, if you take that out of the picture, I can talk to you about why I didn't hate The Great Gatsby. This movie never did seize to entertain. It held my attention the entire time and the visuals were fantastic. I also was impressed by the acting. That is for sure the highlight of this movie and especially from Leo Dicaprio. This guy is fantastic! I think he is one of the best in the business right now and it shows. He can take any script and turn it into enough material to give an amazing performance. Put Blood Diamond and J. Edgar into account. Without his great performances, Blood Diamond would be at the very bottom of the barrel and J. Edgar would be long forgotten by now (although it kind of already is). Leonardo Dicaprio saves is by giving us the old, "old sport" we've come to know and love.

The Great Gatsby was all in all, okay. It had some great visual flare and it was bombastic, but it stuck too close to the source material and made it out to be somewhat of a chore at times. It also lost some of the zest that made the book so incredible. The tension in the scenes where Gatsby and Tom are really getting into each others skin just didn't have the same tension the book had. But with the great performances, it was enough to bring this movie back from the bottom and save this one from oblivion.
  2. May 28, 2013
    I must first state that the book is worth a read and delves deeper into the films themes, it is also simply a fantastic book.
    The film plays heavily upon the romance side of the story losing some of the other themes, that being said it is a bad thing, cinematic-ally it gives the audience a focus point and they are not lost within the subtext. It also blends modern music brilliantly within the film. The acting from most of the cast was triple AAA performances. Brilliant set pieces yet with an apparent reliance of CGI in some scenes, makes some of it feel visually fake.

What i felt truly let down the film was the pacing and poor editing, with some bad camera work which ruined a few key night scenes, something you wouldn't expect from Luhrmann. The car sequence in which Nick and Gatsby are going to the barbers, oozed lack luster editing work in which it is so apparent the dialogue was edited over, i thought the projectionist had messed up.

Overall though the film is a simulating experience with a brilliant cast and a good return of Toby Maguire. Its a great discussion piece between people commenting on Gatsby's motives and their views.
  3. May 25, 2013
    The adaptation of the story which I don't actually know. Excellent soundtrack and scenery of America of the early 20th century. The effect of that movie is in a while after watching.
  4. May 28, 2013
    I entered a special preview of The Great Gatsby with quite high expectations. I had heard a lot about the star-studded production, the released trailers were quite appealing, and the film was receiving quite good reviews abroad since its Cannes premier.

As the movie started I realised the expectations would be matched as the movie is full of stunning visuals and dazzling scenes, Baz Luhrmann style, which are only enhanced by the perfected 3D effect. The choice for shooting the film in 3D created quite a controversy early on, but I believe everyone can now see that this only added to the glamour effect of the 20s.

The movie is roughly split into two parts the first one being the alluring gratifying party scenes and the other being a more melancholic side of the story when the events really start to unravel. The glitter, glamour of the party scenes complemented with modern party songs from Fergie and will.i.am brought the audience as close as possible to the party, while 'haunting' tunes from Lana Del Rey and Florence and the Machine integrated in the emotional scenes worked beautifully. The soundtrack which was penned and produced by Jay-Z, brought the right amount of jazz in this 20s adaptation.

The film narration by Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) might have been a bit slow-moving in the beginning, but it set up the necessary New York background, especially for viewers who had not read the book and were not familiar with the story. His fascination with neighbour Jay Gatsby, played by Leonardo di Caprio, who seems unable to produce any substandard work lately, is felt throughout the film. He is seen at times as the extra wheel in the relationship between Gatsby and Daisy (Carey Mulligan), but he is the one there constantly for Gatsby, even before he showed total faith in the stranger he barely knew.

Despite the glitz and glamour, the film's roots are deep in the novel it is adapted from and the memorable emotions of the book are transformed wonderfully in the movie, with words sometimes typed on the screen and direct quotes, notably the ones at the end taken directly from the novel, and other subtle references, major of which was the innuendo of the original novel cover. The film does not fail to address the themes in the novel and presents them in a way which establishes them as themes very applicable to the life of today.

Overall, the film takes the audience on a ride from the nonchalance high life of the 20s to the corrupt fall of the characters as hope and dreams are crashing around them. With Nick's guidance, the story speaks strongly, and the mellow atmosphere of the novel is properly brought to life.
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    The film swaps the tender poetry of the book for snappy, breezy gloss, and is further tarnishes the classic with the cartoony CGI settings.
    And Baz's casting of Daisy, Gatsby's obsession: Not so Great.
  6. Sep 29, 2013
    I've read the book and absolutely hated this movie. its just some over-polished, badly paced, and poorly acted piece of trash. i couldn't care less about the characters, they all felt so disconnected to the movie, they all felt sooo fake. and what about those party scenes where everybody just spontaneously spazzes out to some "hip tuuunes" that did nothing but SUCK. all this combinedI've read the book and absolutely hated this movie. its just some over-polished, badly paced, and poorly acted piece of trash. i couldn't care less about the characters, they all felt so disconnected to the movie, they all felt sooo fake. and what about those party scenes where everybody just spontaneously spazzes out to some "hip tuuunes" that did nothing but SUCK. all this combined spiraled this movie into an unbearable 2h c***fest Expand
  7. Sep 15, 2013
    The film is an extended, almost annoying than the boring. Uneventful, low scenario. Anyone who does not wait to see more. I did not like. I do not recommend it!
  8. Sep 11, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is a novel that will forever exemplify the glamour and style that was the roaring twenties. The recent movie portrayed this culture in a way that almost made the viewers nostalgic of the time period. The costume and set design were so over the top with the sparkles and classic flappers dresses the women looked spoiled in glamour; we as 21st century viewers sat in awe andThe Great Gatsby is a novel that will forever exemplify the glamour and style that was the roaring twenties. The recent movie portrayed this culture in a way that almost made the viewers nostalgic of the time period. The costume and set design were so over the top with the sparkles and classic flappers dresses the women looked spoiled in glamour; we as 21st century viewers sat in awe and jealousy of what seemed such carefree, lavish, and exciting time. Watching the movie ignorant to the novel allowed for people to view it in awe rather than disappointment.
    From book to box office, The Great Gatsby will never be able to be properly portrayed into a film. The novel requires so much analysis of characters and subtleties, that a film simply can not require that much thought from viewers. Being able to think about what made Gatsby so rich and confident to outsiders, yet so self-conscious and sad in reality is something only readers can understand. Deciding how to feel about how easy going Nick was in dealing with Gatsby’s demands makes the reader second-guess any previous view of Gatsby. Accepting how willing Daisy was to betray her husband is a controversy that must be analyzed to accept. These are all things that a reader can take time to think about rather than the specific time that a movie runs on. The movie does not allow for the appropriate appreciation for the story that is The Great Gatsby.
  9. Nov 30, 2013
    A letdown to say the least. The first 20 minutes of the film is a rushed mess. The visuals and cinematography, however, are spectacular and keep the film afloat. It's just unfortunate that a movie should have to rely on it.
  10. Jan 2, 2014
    F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is undeniably one if the greatest novels in American literature, and one of my personal favourites. I was thrilled to find out that the book was being adapted into big budget movie, and I thought that Casting Leo as Gatsby was brilliant.... I was so disappointed with the film. The acting was spot on, and the cinematography was impressive; however,F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is undeniably one if the greatest novels in American literature, and one of my personal favourites. I was thrilled to find out that the book was being adapted into big budget movie, and I thought that Casting Leo as Gatsby was brilliant.... I was so disappointed with the film. The acting was spot on, and the cinematography was impressive; however, the directing was horrible. Also, the most iconic moments in the book were cut short and reduced into a music video. What the hell was Baz thinking? I'll rate it a one for Leo and Carey Expand
  11. Jan 1, 2014
    It's not the performances that are bad, it's the idea and story itself. It just isn't interesting, it's painfully boring, and Baz Luhrmann made it even worse, because after the first 20 minutes of lights and music, the rest is extremely boring.
  12. Mar 16, 2014
    I was interested why Leo didn't get an Oscar, so I went to watch this movie. In short - now I know why.
    This movie follows the book plot pretty closely, and just to get it out of the way right now - the book is much more fun. It's very nicely writted and I do recommend it. Especially over the movie.
    Some of the reviewers say the actors are a perfect cast - I dissagree. I believe that the women cast in this movie are perfect casts, however every man that isn't Joel Edgerton was a terrible choice. I felt Joel Edgerton had the greatest idea of what his character could be with his own capabilities, if that makes any sense to you. However DiCaprio was the worst choice for Gatsby in this movie, not because Gatsby isn't his type of role - on the contrary, it is, but director Baz Luhrmann was going in a very different direction.
    I blame Baz Luhrmann for the fall of this movie. At times the movie does look amazing with loads of atmosphere that I couldn't help but be inspired of. Anything that wasn't 3D or character-related, Baz Luhrmann did direct nicely. However in my opinion he regarded the audience as a bunch of retards and that is why the cast fails. Let me elaborate: he wanted to hint some things at the beggining of the movie, but he does it quite poorly and it looks stupid, and then after the secret is out he continues to hint at it and it becomes a hinderance the characters can't carry. Wow, that's spoiler free for you.
    Also the movie has some really weird 3D sequences that don't really fit, they are very cheaply done and look very outdated, like a lot of things in this movie. But while some things are outdated, others - like the music, tends to go into a 80s Dubstep rage and it really doesn't fit.
    I must quote Jeremy Jahns on this and say that this movie is loud and overexposed to the point of headache. I really felt overburdened by this movie and I enjoyed only a few scenes. After watching it it felt like my head is going to explode, and on the next day - I'd forgotten I had watched this movie.
    In conclusion to the review - this is an overhyped OK movie that is hindered by it's direction. In conclusion to my research: This is why Leo didn't get and Oscar and for good reason. Though I'm sorry for him, he did cap himself out a bit this year.
    I do recommend this movie if you have nothing better to do, it is consuming and fun to watch. Just don't have any expectations... Ol' Spo't
  13. May 18, 2013
    The Great Gatsby starts weak. Everything felt too uneventful, the introduction of characters and their performances were overshadowed by the fast paced direction that seemed to give more importance to its bombastic and exuberant screenplay than anything else. Whats more, the script which is full of actual quotes from the book felt forced. Is as if Luhrmann wanted to draw every detail fromThe Great Gatsby starts weak. Everything felt too uneventful, the introduction of characters and their performances were overshadowed by the fast paced direction that seemed to give more importance to its bombastic and exuberant screenplay than anything else. Whats more, the script which is full of actual quotes from the book felt forced. Is as if Luhrmann wanted to draw every detail from the book as fast as possible and with little depth. Fortunately the movie eventually slows down and starts delivering a much more profound and interesting film. The scenes become longer and much more significant, and the performances from the great cast start to flourish. Leonardo DiCaprio is the highlight, delivering a very credible Gatsby that fits perfectly within the lines of the book. That is with Joel Edgerton also delivering an incredible performance as Tom. At the end. the movie then becomes a smooth combination of great story, acting and amazing cinematography, but never letting the latter outshine the former like it did in the first 15 minutes or so. Ultimately it is a very enjoyable film that effectively transcends the book into the big screen, and its one of the best movies of the year so far. Expand
  14. Mar 22, 2014
    I enjoyed this movie. The sets are fantastic, although the juxtaposition of modern music with a 1920's setting is not a good choice. I would expect this in a Broadway musical, but to see 1920's characters dancing to Jay-Z is just distracting in this film. They could just as easily have replaced the phones in the film with the latest IPhones, it would have had the same effect.. The musicI enjoyed this movie. The sets are fantastic, although the juxtaposition of modern music with a 1920's setting is not a good choice. I would expect this in a Broadway musical, but to see 1920's characters dancing to Jay-Z is just distracting in this film. They could just as easily have replaced the phones in the film with the latest IPhones, it would have had the same effect.. The music unnecessarily breaks the fourth wall even though the characters do not. The film is otherwise great. Expand
  15. May 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wish “The Great Gatsby” had opted to be either much more faithful or much less faithful to Fitzgerald's novel. As it was, the film’s fidelity, especially early on, made its ultimate departures dismaying--at least to this lover of both Fitzgerald's writing and Luhrmann's films. It was as though the director was perfectly happy to party with the novelist but didn’t want to endure the brutal clarity of his hangover. The worst offenders, for me, were the kinder, gentler Daisy and Tom. In the novel, though superficially charming, they are, at heart, cruel, greedy and self-obsessed; in the film, they are flawed but relatively sympathetic. And, to make that work, Luhrman makes Gatsby less sympathetic--and he makes Nick’s admiration for Gatsby deeply suspect. During the final showdown at the Plaza Hotel, for example, Luhrmann's Gatsby becomes physically violent, alarming Daisy, who then decides to leave him. In the novel, Gatsby's violence is limited to a fleeting facial expression, and Daisy's terror has multiple causes, not least the intrusion of real passions into her elaborate social game. In the film, right after Myrtle is killed, Tom points her vengeful husband at Gatsby, as the driver of the "death car." Perfectly understandable: Gatsby normally drives the car, and Tom is distraught over the death of his lover. In the novel, however, Tom fingers Gatsby the following day, AFTER learning that Gatsby is innocent and his own wife the killer. That's a whole 'nother level of depravity, and, for me, it's much more interesting than "he did it because he was grieving," a tired motive that appears on TV at least a hundred times per week. So what does Luhrman achieve by making Fitzgerald's characters more familiar and formulaic while preserving so much of Fitzgerald's language and plot? For one thing, he backs away from the idea that vast, unearned wealth can be corrupting, as can vast differences between the “haves” and the “have nots.” Moreover, from the moment he introduces Nick as a mental patient, he decides for us that Gatsby was more deluded fool than idealist, whereas Fitzgerald was careful to keep the two possibilities balanced. These, for me, are losses. While I have no problem with plot or character changes, generally--I loved Luhrmann’s tweaking of “Romeo and Juliet,” for instance--there has to be a payoff, and I don’t see one here, unless you count instant recognition as a virtue, which, I suppose, billions of McDonald’s customers do. Finally, a word about the film's music. When I heard Filter’s “Happy Together” in a preview, I got excited. After the mostly edgeless tunes and sappy baladeering of “Moulin Rouge,” I was ready for some thrilling music to accompany Luhrmann’s thrilling visuals. But thrills turned out to be in short supply. I liked Jay Z’s “$100 Bill” for the speakeasy scene, which was appropriately urban and decadent, but some of the other hip-hop tunes clashed badly with the anti-urban milieu of the Hamptons. The most egregious misfire, however, was Lana Del Ray’s “Young and Beautiful” as the theme song of Gatsby and Daisy’s renewed love. “Will you still love me when I’m no longer young and beautiful?” asks the song, over and over, a question utterly irrelevant to the reunion, after five years, of a man cherishing a beautiful illusion and a woman seeking diversion. I can only conclude that Luhrmann and his music director, Anton Monsted, think audiences don’t listen to song lyrics. I also question Monsted’s taste (he did “Moulin Rouge,” too), which I find too reliant on what is--or has been--at the top of the charts. He strikes me as a man who listens to popular radio and little else, making most of his musical choices obvious, boring, and ill-suited to their dramatic contexts. I’ve heard much better music on TV shows such as “The Sopranos,” “Life,” and “Sons of Anarchy,” and I wish Luhrmann would hire one of their music supervisors (or me) for his next film. Expand
  16. Jun 4, 2013
    "The Great Gatsby was not as "great" as it should have been, but features some of the most dazzling visuals, outstanding soundtrack and just breathtaking performances across the board. Baz Luhrman has given the classic novel the film adaptation it deserves" B+
  17. Jun 3, 2013
    A film with some great set pieces; I found the party scenes particularly spectacular. It’s beautifully shot and I’m quite glad I saw it in 2D as I couldn’t see how 3D would have enhanced it much. I found the music interesting with the big set pieces being handed over to rapper Jay-Z (also an Executive Producer), but it was the original music by Craig Armstrong that I found mostA film with some great set pieces; I found the party scenes particularly spectacular. It’s beautifully shot and I’m quite glad I saw it in 2D as I couldn’t see how 3D would have enhanced it much. I found the music interesting with the big set pieces being handed over to rapper Jay-Z (also an Executive Producer), but it was the original music by Craig Armstrong that I found most enthralling. There are several well known themes subtly placed in the soundtrack and I found both refreshing and interesting. All the performances were great with DiCaprio and Mulligan getting top billing; but I thought Tobey Maguire was equally good. I guess I’ll have to read the book to be able to decide just how good an adaptation this is; but for now I found it quite a satisfying watch with plenty of drama to keep me entertained. If I was to be super critical I would have to say I found the character of Gatsby a little one-dimensional, but having said that it’s still well worth a look if you get the chance.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.5/10
  18. Nov 14, 2013
    This is a very mixed movie.

On one hand, the performances are great, with the exception of Tobey Maguire who got tiresome after a while, especially in the narrating scenes. The art direction is fantastic. It really captures the decadence and excess of that decade. The modern music soundtrack is a hit and miss. On the other hand, the film just felt all over the place. The editing is
    This is a very mixed movie.

On the other hand, the film just felt all over the place. The editing is very fast. While that's a good thing in the party scenes (which were my favorite), it wasn't in the intimate ones, where you need to slow down and give room for the characters to breathe in.

There lies the movie's ultimate problem: it successfully portrayed the age in which the story takes in, but not the story and characters themselves.
  19. Feb 16, 2014
    The Great Gatsby is my favorite novel of all time and I am keenly aware that it is super difficult to translate into film. That said, if you can make it past the garish "I'm Bazz Lurhmann!" horror of the first 30 minutes, the director finally lets his actors breathe and the classic scenes come raining down with suitable emotion. It's not a home-run for sure, but this version of The GreatThe Great Gatsby is my favorite novel of all time and I am keenly aware that it is super difficult to translate into film. That said, if you can make it past the garish "I'm Bazz Lurhmann!" horror of the first 30 minutes, the director finally lets his actors breathe and the classic scenes come raining down with suitable emotion. It's not a home-run for sure, but this version of The Great Gatsby is at least a good try. Expand
  20. Jun 2, 2013
    Love is blind, motivating, energizing. Gatsby the new name of a poor man who becomes wealthy out of nowhere. He buys a huge residence close to his lost love, he invites the town hopping she shows up. When he finds her he starts going back to losing her again. He is finally killed by wrong understanding from a poor man who thought Gatsby is behind his wife killing in a car accident.Love is blind, motivating, energizing. Gatsby the new name of a poor man who becomes wealthy out of nowhere. He buys a huge residence close to his lost love, he invites the town hopping she shows up. When he finds her he starts going back to losing her again. He is finally killed by wrong understanding from a poor man who thought Gatsby is behind his wife killing in a car accident. Excellent scenes and colors, persuading acting. Everybody has this movie in mind days after leaving the theater. Not to be missed. Expand
  21. Jun 3, 2013
    I both like and hate The Great Gatsby. How? Why let me explain! The first half of the film basically relies on too much of modern rap music, annoying close ups and bizarre sequences that feel like the film itself is on acid. Not only are those a problem, but also the film begins to fall into campy territories with unintentionally funny moments and over-the-top acting. But later on in theI both like and hate The Great Gatsby. How? Why let me explain! The first half of the film basically relies on too much of modern rap music, annoying close ups and bizarre sequences that feel like the film itself is on acid. Not only are those a problem, but also the film begins to fall into campy territories with unintentionally funny moments and over-the-top acting. But later on in the film, the flaws of the first half begin to fade (though they reappear sometimes) and the film starts to feel more like a 1920s drama film rather than an over-the-top bizarre stage play music video. The film, to be honest, didn't need to be as visually impressive as it is and the 3D, though good at times, didn't need to be present. Besides a pretty robotic performance from Carey Mulligan, the acting was often solid, though every actor and actress had their fair-share of over-the-top and campy moments. In the conclusion, The Great Gatsby is a visually dazzling and a decent movie, though self-indulgent and not at all great. Expand
  22. May 18, 2013
    Watched this topical Baz Luhrmann extravaganza in a plain 2D version, adapted from a world-famous classic, the daunting comparison is predestined, lucky me for being completely oblivious of the original novel and its earlier cinema adaption, so I feel privileged to take my pleasure from viewing this film without being nettled by any premeditated notions whatsoever, blessing the ignorance!Watched this topical Baz Luhrmann extravaganza in a plain 2D version, adapted from a world-famous classic, the daunting comparison is predestined, lucky me for being completely oblivious of the original novel and its earlier cinema adaption, so I feel privileged to take my pleasure from viewing this film without being nettled by any premeditated notions whatsoever, blessing the ignorance!

Zero expectation does assuage the nitpicking impulse, this period film establishes its unparalleled visual spectacle which its additional charge of a 3D fee could be considerably goaded, it has been the first time I wish I could watched it with the unease gizmo since INCEPTION (2010, 9/10). The upbeat Hip-Hop infused party music and retro-induced melancholiac strains (now I can not get Lana Del Rey’s YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL out of my mind) is another novelty rarely being presented in a period drama, Luhrmann again victoriously testifies himself is the maestro of contemporary cinema’s flamboyance and garishness (without any pejorative overtone).

The long-time-no-see former Spidey Tobey Maguire (who is still able to pass off as a twenty-some due to his perpetual baby-face) is the narrator of an ill-fated love story, and surprisingly he does occupy such a lengthy screen time, even outstays DiCaprio’s Gatsby. He is the observer, the bystander and a useful buffer between Gatsby and Daisy, Luhrmann and his co-writer Craig Pearce intentionally sacrifice his personal life (no relationship entanglement at all) to intensify his unspeakable admiration towards Gatsby (a bromance in the period time?), he is the one who is captivated by Gatsby’s beguiling friendship, his grandstanding lifestyle and the money to sustain all these grandiosity and opulence. Maguire is impeccable as a wide-eyed third wheel, a surviver who is destined to tell the tale.

Then comes the problematic couple, Gatsby and Daisy, both being introduced under the heightened and pompous settings, Mulligan’s Daisy is first seen by her slender legs swinging with curtains fluttering around, a spoiled flapper subordinated by male chauvinism (who sincerely hope her young daughter would be a fool since it is the perfect niche for a girl). Gatsby, whose front officially being spotlighted during the lavish party, with tender golden light lingers much longer than it should be, DiCaprio’s over-familiar persona almost prompts me into laughter. Both thespians are impassioned with the best they can offer, their first meeting in the film is a marvelous romantic gambit, and Baz still gets it!

I must be too optimistic to say DiCaprio may stand a chance to win over Oscar’s attention this time, his red-faced yelling outburst during the conflict is his Oscar-bait, but makes me squirm a bit, since it is his stock antics. For Mulligan, her role has an innate defect for being the collateral culprit of the denouement, so the misogynous judgement aside, Mulligan is praiseworthy in balancing the morally equivocal personality with her dainty style. My only cast gripe is the usually-outstanding Edgerton, as Daisy’s gentrified husband Tom, Edgerton is too vulgar in physique and looks like a nouveau-riche doesn’t tally with the chic surroundings.

A few technical glitches, the editing is a shade too fast in the first half, noticeably during the happy-moment sequence of the reunion, the glitz does hurt my eyes. Then near the end, the caption-floating of Fitzgerald’s text is a lame maneuver, we all know there are too many to tell in the book, however poetic it is, a more subtle approach is recommended.

It is an over-romanticized saga, the final telephone call good-heartedly bookends it, even facing the demise, at least a tinge of warmth manages to run through our senses, one may call it over sentimental, others may refer it as poetic license, all in all, I think it is worth your ticket, and I cannot believe I would say that, even in the despised 3D form.
  23. Sep 2, 2014
    The critics truly were too harsh with this gem--it is always difficult to adapt such a beautiful novel as this, but Baz Luhrmann has created such a stunning interpretation.
  24. Jul 21, 2013
    Some books should not be made into films. I have always believed The Great Gatsby is one of them. But, this film does a good job making a modern day adaptation of it. If you know the book, you have to stretch your mind a bit to envision the characters. I thought Leo as Gatsby was a good casting move as he is solid. And although I am not a fan of Tobey he does a good job as Carraway asSome books should not be made into films. I have always believed The Great Gatsby is one of them. But, this film does a good job making a modern day adaptation of it. If you know the book, you have to stretch your mind a bit to envision the characters. I thought Leo as Gatsby was a good casting move as he is solid. And although I am not a fan of Tobey he does a good job as Carraway as well. But, if you like the movie, read the book. Expand
  25. Mar 7, 2014
    This film adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby, is about a man in the 1920s trying to win back the woman he loves. This version is a cartoon with real life actors - everything super brightly colored and sporting more special effects than a Star Wars movie, much of it very fake looking. Gatsby's home when shot from the exterior is so obviously computer generated it'sThis film adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby, is about a man in the 1920s trying to win back the woman he loves. This version is a cartoon with real life actors - everything super brightly colored and sporting more special effects than a Star Wars movie, much of it very fake looking. Gatsby's home when shot from the exterior is so obviously computer generated it's shocking. There's plenty of blue screen (or green screen these days) that is about as obvious as can be, with the lighting on the actor standing in front of the green screen not matching the lighting in the scene projected behind him on the green screen. It might as well be a Godzilla movie from the 60s at those moments. You might wonder why they felt the need for so many effects. The camera whizzes around Long Island over and under elevated tracks in Manhattan, almost all of which (both Manhattan and Long Island) appear computer generated, so much like a computer game I felt like readying my controller to start controlling the main character. It's a miracle that amidst all this crazy visual jazz, that the story's basic outline (because that is all there is here; just a skeleton of the plot) doesn't get lost. That was a feat and for that I give it 1 star out of 10.

The movie does calm down in that last half hour and become closer to something normal visually, but by then I was tired of watching. Add to this the bizarre use of hip hop and other music not of the period (Jay-Z and Beyonce; that's Jay Z's ego ruining the movie, as he's a producer of this catastrophe) and you get the impression that this was made by an extremely insecure story teller who had no faith in his audience or in his abilities to capture their attention simply by telling story. Maybe he didn't have faith in his actors. Whatever the cause, the director or whoever called the shots, decided that rendering the story well wasn't enough without overstuffing the production with candy colored effects and noise ad nauseam. The result is that, instead of being drawn into the story, you are constantly pushed out by the weird over-the-top distractions. It's like watching a Shakespeare play while someone constantly lights of fireworks in front of the production. What an ordeal! You think it's innocent enough - just spending a couple hours watching a movie - but by the time it's over you feel like you've been in some kind of two hour accident or a small war. You feel damaged. I recommend instead the novel, which is quite beautifully written.
  26. May 14, 2013
    Absolutely a beautifully shot movie. Each frame of the film looks almost like a painting. This film is drenched with color and has brilliant filming The largest problems in this film is that it features a soundtrack that is contemporary music mixed with music that is more to the time period of the film. Surprisingly the contemporary music works in most instances however there is one or twoAbsolutely a beautifully shot movie. Each frame of the film looks almost like a painting. This film is drenched with color and has brilliant filming The largest problems in this film is that it features a soundtrack that is contemporary music mixed with music that is more to the time period of the film. Surprisingly the contemporary music works in most instances however there is one or two times where the much more modern contemporary music seems out of place. The other major flaw is that so much time was spent in this movie on it's stylistic looks which as i said earlier were flawless but so much time and effort was spent on these that it seems to have taken away from the character development side of the film. While there are many scenes that are pretty I wish they would have sacrificed some of those to develop characters other than Gatsby and Carraway. Expand
  27. May 19, 2013
    This movie has me so torn. Some things I just loved about this story. Other things really distracted and annoyed me. Overall a good film. I loved the scenery. The scenes of them in the city with the contrast turned up on the color made me feel like I was watching a 60 year old movie in a good way. On the other hand the Beyonce and other Hip-Hop songs were well not well contrived. Good theThis movie has me so torn. Some things I just loved about this story. Other things really distracted and annoyed me. Overall a good film. I loved the scenery. The scenes of them in the city with the contrast turned up on the color made me feel like I was watching a 60 year old movie in a good way. On the other hand the Beyonce and other Hip-Hop songs were well not well contrived. Good the way the city is set up with the labor class supporting the upper class was done in an almost cartoonish way that was very beautiful. The acting was great and the actress playing Daisy steals every scene she is in. The omissions from the original story Bad. Overall a good pretty looking movie that you will forget about in a few weeks. Expand
  28. May 21, 2013
    E’ il poco prolifico australiano Baz Luhrmann a prendersi il rischio di scrivere (assieme a Craig Pearce) e a filmare la terza versione per il grande schermo dell’opera più conosciuta di Francis Scott Fitzgerald, romanzo che ha dato parecchio filo da torcere ai propri adattamenti cinematografici. Per provare a vincerne la sfida, il regista dà alla storia una confezione molto modernista,E’ il poco prolifico australiano Baz Luhrmann a prendersi il rischio di scrivere (assieme a Craig Pearce) e a filmare la terza versione per il grande schermo dell’opera più conosciuta di Francis Scott Fitzgerald, romanzo che ha dato parecchio filo da torcere ai propri adattamenti cinematografici. Per provare a vincerne la sfida, il regista dà alla storia una confezione molto modernista, disegnando degli anni Venti davvero ruggenti, in cui dominano colori netti e brillanti che ben si inseriscono in un décor a dir poco sovrabbondante: ad amplificarne l’effetto pensa poi una colonna sonora che unisce l’arrembante musica dell’età del charleston con inserti hip-hop uno dei produttori esecutivi Jay-Z che sottolineano ancor di più la frenesia del periodo (il che porta a infischiarsene maggiormente di altri anacronismi, tipo la ‘Rapsodia in blue’ che non era ancora stata scritta al momento in cui si svolge l’azione). Con alcuni passaggi coreografati quasi come un balletto la gestione delle finestre nella villa dei Buchanan, l’arredamento floreale della casa di Nick la prima parte viene raccontata come una grande fiaba, con i due castelli che si fronteggiano dalle parti opposte della baia, quello sfavillante del principe biondo e quello in cui vive prigioniera la bella di cui lui innamorato: il tutto raccontato dallo scudiero che serve da collegamento, almeno parziale, con una realtà che può essere molto lontana dalle feste organizzate da Gatsby. Quando la favola che il protagonista principale si era costruito si incrina, il contatto dei due mondi quello di chi ha troppo e quello di chi ha troppo poco apre le porte alla tragedia, rivelando sì la vera, controversa identità del personaggio, ma soprattutto la povertà umana e morale di una classe benestante a cui anche Daisy aderisce alla perfezione, ben lontana dall’immagine idealizzata da Gatsby. Purtroppo, però, proprio nel momento in cui il pathos della storia dovrebbe raggiungere il culmine, il film comincia a perdere qualche colpo, quasi che, venuta a mancare la sovrastruttura luccicante, la scrittura smarrisca il giusto ritmo in una serie di situazioni trascinate troppo per le lunghe. Anche nell’ultimo terzo di pellicola non mancano i momenti belli e le intuizioni efficaci come quando le lettere che giocano sullo schermo finiscono per formare le intense parole di Fitzgerald lette dalla voce narrante di Nick oppure nel richiamo, attraverso le ultime inquadrature della piscina, dell’incipit di ‘Viale del tramonto’ si finisce per sbirciare l’orologio qualche volta di troppo, con la conseguenza di raffreddare l’emotività. Fa capolino così il sospetto che, seppur in modo meno grave che altrove, la cura per la confezione abbia finito per essere prevalente rispetto a quella riservata al contenuto (il film distribuito anche in un superfluo 3D): a soffrirne il giudizio complessivo che, pur senza dubbio migliore rispetto agli adattamenti precedenti, finisce per essere inferiore all’aspettativa creata dalla somma delle parti., Fra queste ultime, spicca la prova di un cast davvero affiatato: DiCaprio, che già aveva lavorato con Luhrmann in ‘Romeo e Giulietta’, aggiunge un solido mattone alla costruzione della sua carriera vestendo alla meglio i panni di un altro personaggio più grande della vita, mentre il suo amico (anche nella realtà) Maguire dimostra ancora una volta di avere la faccia giusta per interpretare chi si trova a osservare con stupore quel che di inatteso gli capita. Se poi Carey Mulligan disegna una Daisy dolce e indecifrabile (ma che meraviglia erano mai i tagli a caschetto?), in caso di scelta obbligata del migliore la preferenza cadrebbe forse su Joel Edgerton alle prese con lo scomodo ruolo di suo marito Tom. Azzeccati anche i ruoli di contorno Jason Clarke fa ancora una volta il ruvido fra i quali spunta, in una particina monobattuta da guidatore di taxi, Nick Tate: per i maniaci (come me) l’indimenticato pilota di Aquile in ‘Spazio 1999’. Expand
  29. May 27, 2013
    A classic Baz Luhrmann spectacle, if a slightly vacuous one. Perhaps more a film of a 'Great Gatsby' fairy tale than the novel, struggling through slightly trippy 3D and an admittedly intelligent parallelism with between 20's and contemporary culture. It omitted multiple areas of symbolism, the most exasperating of which being the infantile interpretation of Gatsby's love for Daisy,A classic Baz Luhrmann spectacle, if a slightly vacuous one. Perhaps more a film of a 'Great Gatsby' fairy tale than the novel, struggling through slightly trippy 3D and an admittedly intelligent parallelism with between 20's and contemporary culture. It omitted multiple areas of symbolism, the most exasperating of which being the infantile interpretation of Gatsby's love for Daisy, avoiding the true messages of delusion and futile aspiration. This could be tolerated if the dialogue wasn't selected with such a bias as to ignore other allegories and messages. This being said, Lurhrmann's interpretation, however devoid of substance, was perfectly carried out by an ever-charming DiCaprio, with a surprisingly intimate performance by still-faced Elizabeth Debicki. But this saw itself ever overshadowed by crude hyperbole regarding the Valley of Ashes, all exacerbated a simplified representation of Daisy. A well directed piece of art, masking a high school interpretation of the novel. Expand
  30. Mar 19, 2014
    I liked this much more than I thought I would. The Great Gatsby takes you to another world.It has a magical feeling.I never read the book and enjoyed it.
  31. Aug 24, 2013
    The movie's overblown style (CG, 3D, and Jay-Z), chokes the very life out of any substance the story may hold. There's always something to distract the eye, but it becomes increasingly annoying and persistently rings hollow. There is a mystique about F. Scott Fitzgerald’s "The Great Gatsby" that has proved unattainable to filmmakers. Four previous attempts have fallen short of capturingThe movie's overblown style (CG, 3D, and Jay-Z), chokes the very life out of any substance the story may hold. There's always something to distract the eye, but it becomes increasingly annoying and persistently rings hollow. There is a mystique about F. Scott Fitzgerald’s "The Great Gatsby" that has proved unattainable to filmmakers. Four previous attempts have fallen short of capturing the book's projections of an America succumbing to the allure of money. Chalk this up as the fifth. Expand
  32. Jun 16, 2013
    This is a tricky one to review as I did enjoy it but it was a rather odd film. Very good acting, especially from the leads, but as great as Leo DiCaprio was I couldn't help but get annoyed by his character and of that term 'Old Sport'. The party scenes looked amazing and where a clear highlight of the film. It got a little mellow and slower towards the middle before picking up more towardsThis is a tricky one to review as I did enjoy it but it was a rather odd film. Very good acting, especially from the leads, but as great as Leo DiCaprio was I couldn't help but get annoyed by his character and of that term 'Old Sport'. The party scenes looked amazing and where a clear highlight of the film. It got a little mellow and slower towards the middle before picking up more towards the end, but overall an entertaining film that should please many, but it had potential to be a bit better! Expand
  33. Jan 3, 2014
    This film is nothing less than a tour de force. Such painstakingly perfect detail in every scene. Even if you haven't read the book, it is a flawless piece of movie-making, so much more than the sum of its individual parts and characters. Who else but Baz Luhrmann could deliver such breath-taking imagery no scene is without impeccable attention to detail. The soundtrack is brilliantThis film is nothing less than a tour de force. Such painstakingly perfect detail in every scene. Even if you haven't read the book, it is a flawless piece of movie-making, so much more than the sum of its individual parts and characters. Who else but Baz Luhrmann could deliver such breath-taking imagery no scene is without impeccable attention to detail. The soundtrack is brilliant and original and highly evocative. This movie gets better and better with every viewing Expand
  34. Jun 5, 2013
    Ive never read the book so i dont know how well it does to compare, however, i thought this movie had a real sense of life to it. it was captivating and i have no idea why the movie got such a low score from critics.
  35. Jun 12, 2013
    Just like the book, the movie is slow in the beginning. However, it gradually picks up its pace and moves forward. I don't think this is how I imagined the book when I read it. I really do think Toby Maguire is miscast. Also, the movie just didn't feel like the book (I don't know how to say this). Overall, it was an okay movie.
  36. Jul 14, 2013
    The Great Gatsby is romantic comedy drama taking place in 1920's New York during prohibition. Following footpaths of Moulin Rouge, it is stacked with big-name actors, hip music and capturing visuals. If leaving out vibrant party scenes, cool soundtrack and sure-fire casting there is really much to The Great Gatsby.
  37. Jun 4, 2013
    Before I saw this movie, I had heard it was just mediocre. But who ever thinks that is dead wrong. This is well above mediocre. It's fresh, interesting, entertaining, well directed, well acted, and it's got style. One of the biggest complaints from critics was the Jay Z rap. The Jay Z rap turned out to be awesome and it goes well with the movie. Leonardo DiCaprio is perfect as J. GatsbyBefore I saw this movie, I had heard it was just mediocre. But who ever thinks that is dead wrong. This is well above mediocre. It's fresh, interesting, entertaining, well directed, well acted, and it's got style. One of the biggest complaints from critics was the Jay Z rap. The Jay Z rap turned out to be awesome and it goes well with the movie. Leonardo DiCaprio is perfect as J. Gatsby but everyone in this movie had a great performance. Expand
  38. Jun 5, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann's films each have a distinct visual and aural quality to them. We are witness to vibrant colours, sweeping camera movements, sudden zooming in, and mystery which is supporting by a suitable soundtrack. These features translate well into the 1920's setting to transport the viewer into a bygone era. However despite all these positives even they cannot make a really long, slowBaz Luhrmann's films each have a distinct visual and aural quality to them. We are witness to vibrant colours, sweeping camera movements, sudden zooming in, and mystery which is supporting by a suitable soundtrack. These features translate well into the 1920's setting to transport the viewer into a bygone era. However despite all these positives even they cannot make a really long, slow and dull story any more watchable.

You may argue with me that I don't understand the story. I admit I haven't read the book and went into this completely unaware of what will occur; from what I've read this film is the closest to translate the book into a film correctly. That being said my impression of the metaphors and underlying meanings is a satire of the 1920's; i.e. too much drinking and partying, people talk rubbish, the wealthy have more money than sense, you can't recapture the past, parties are a ruse, and not a lot of meaningful activities occurred (this is what I left the cinema thinking about). That being said I didn't enjoy the story or the characters and was never convinced really liked, cared for or loved each other (which I understood as an intention of the author). Therefore if I understand the story correct then this is one of the most overrated stories (and novels) I’ve ever encountered. Why is it so memorable?

Praise must be given to the use of modern music instead of jazz as it is a clever juxtaposition. Most of us don't enjoy jazz music like those in the film do; we enjoy modern music mostly and its use bridges the gap between us. Therefore we understand how they feel and the parties which ensue.
    All actors involved were convincing in their roles but no-one here stood out. One thing I did notice was Nick Carraway mentioned several times that Gatsby was the most hopeful person he’d met. We never really saw his hope because he was both cool and calm, scared, worried or lashing out. This is either a failure of the script or a translation of the author’s intentions.

I applaud those involved for at least making this film watchable for the visual and aural aspects. This almost makes up for a long, slow and dull story.
  39. May 19, 2013
    Who is Gatsby? That's what Nick Caraway the films narrator tries to tell us over the course of this film. The film leans heavily on the source material with word for word translation from book to screen, which was fine for the most part but the delivery of some lines felt strange. The acting throughout is pretty decent by all involved. The visuals as at times are stunning especially withWho is Gatsby? That's what Nick Caraway the films narrator tries to tell us over the course of this film. The film leans heavily on the source material with word for word translation from book to screen, which was fine for the most part but the delivery of some lines felt strange. The acting throughout is pretty decent by all involved. The visuals as at times are stunning especially with the use of the 3d effects;though sometimes I felt it could have been used more, though at times it becomes clear that actors are stood in front of a green screen. The modern music was a nice touch making the setting feel more relevant to a modern audience. Again however it felt underused. I found the story was interesting and yet I couldn't quite see the underlying meanings of the story, so perhaps a prior knowledge of the story would be beneficial to viewing the film.
    Rating 6 out of 10
    All the pieces of the puzzle are there however for me they just don't fit properly.
  40. May 19, 2013
    The Great Gatsby. The quintessential novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald about the disillusionment of the decadent wealth of the 1920s and a cautionary tale about the American dream seems like a no-brainer to turn into a blockbuster film. But does director Baz Luhrmann’s stylized vision of the time period do the book justice, old sport?

Read more http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/the-great-gatsby/
  41. May 13, 2013
    The movie was just great, it had a great story and depicted the Roaring 20's wonderfully. Great Gatsby veterans might not prefer this version over Robert's back in the 70's but it's really entertaining and worth watching. The only problem I had was some of the soundtrack, and by some, I mean Jay-Z. You read right, Jay-Z. I would of preffered jazz to depict the 20's alot better but theThe movie was just great, it had a great story and depicted the Roaring 20's wonderfully. Great Gatsby veterans might not prefer this version over Robert's back in the 70's but it's really entertaining and worth watching. The only problem I had was some of the soundtrack, and by some, I mean Jay-Z. You read right, Jay-Z. I would of preffered jazz to depict the 20's alot better but the soundtrack didn't kill the movie so there's nothing to worry about it. Expand
  42. May 16, 2013
    The atmosphere was absolutely amazing, one of the few movies that actually draws you in and makes you a part of the story. The plot on the other hand was rather weak. They should have made a greater story around the business side of things. Why this spiderman fella was in the movie i do not know, he had absolutely nothing to bring to the story. i would normally rate this movie a 6 or 7,The atmosphere was absolutely amazing, one of the few movies that actually draws you in and makes you a part of the story. The plot on the other hand was rather weak. They should have made a greater story around the business side of things. Why this spiderman fella was in the movie i do not know, he had absolutely nothing to bring to the story. i would normally rate this movie a 6 or 7, but the AMAZING MUSIC definitely made me press the 8 button. Add to your list of must have seen Expand
  43. May 22, 2013
    This movie looks exactly like Moulin Rouge transported to the 1920s in New York. It's a beautiful feast that those of us who are under thirty will identify with and love. It is not an uplifting riotous good story. It's Fizgerald, updated and green screened. And I loved it.
  44. Jun 10, 2013
    I went into this movie having not-so high hopes for this movie. I heard from my friends that the people were casted incorrectly and that the story-line was OK and Leonardo DiCaprio was the only good thing in the movie. I was thoroughly surprised at what I saw. I never read the book so I am not basing it off of that. I think that Toby McGuire did an excellent job at playing the role of NickI went into this movie having not-so high hopes for this movie. I heard from my friends that the people were casted incorrectly and that the story-line was OK and Leonardo DiCaprio was the only good thing in the movie. I was thoroughly surprised at what I saw. I never read the book so I am not basing it off of that. I think that Toby McGuire did an excellent job at playing the role of Nick Carroway. Leo did an extraordinary job at playing Jay Gatsby. I enjoyed the movie and enjoyed the story-line. I tip my hat to you Baz for having a cool name and directing the movie very well. I enjoyed the dubstep sequences though most people didn't like that. i thought it brought a different feel to the film. A good film. I have to say at some parts it was alright and others it was great. It was pretty good, but not extraordinary. This is why I give it an 8/10. Expand
  45. Aug 15, 2013
    Its great seeing my favorite literary character brought to the screen by a director I greatly admire, but I can’t say the sum is equal to the e parts. The Great Gatsby was a decent film, there was a lot that I liked and a lot that I just flat out didn’t like; all which stems back to the way it was directed. Like all Baz Luhrmann directed films, Baz Luhrman is the star of the show. HisIts great seeing my favorite literary character brought to the screen by a director I greatly admire, but I can’t say the sum is equal to the e parts. The Great Gatsby was a decent film, there was a lot that I liked and a lot that I just flat out didn’t like; all which stems back to the way it was directed. Like all Baz Luhrmann directed films, Baz Luhrman is the star of the show. His whimsical, almost animated, way of telling a story shines bright in this picture; from those wild camera angles, startling soundtrack, hasty editing, and flamboyant set designs and not to mention the eccentric performances he extracts from his cast. While much of his flare worked well for those party sequences, I felt the film itself was far too off-the-wall for its own good. I am hardly convinced that this was the direction he should have taken, but at no point in time did it leave me bored. Do not fret too much, the visuals did not get in the way of the romantic aspects of the story; as it was delivered to the screen in a respectable manner. What I was really bothered by was the way some of the intricacies of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s exquisite story were taken away, in favor of style and visual intricacies. I believe this hindered the dark social commentary on the wealthy and the nature their moral detachment; which was quite disappointing. But, what can I say… such style! Catherine Martin’s fantastic costumes and sets were characters of their own. Clearly my view on the film and the way it was made is very much mixed; but one thing I appreciated without a doubt was Leonardo DiCaprio’s performance as Gatsby. Gatsby’s bold attempt to reach for that green light and regain his love, Daisy, is noble yet foolish. However, you can’t help but relate to this character, as it’s sometimes easier to hold on to hope than to let go completely. While not perfect, DiCaprio made a fine Gatsby in my opinion. Expand
  46. May 25, 2013
    THE GREAT GATSBY
    The Great Gatsby stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, and Joel Edgerton. It was directed by Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge!, Romeo Juliet, Australia).
    THE GREAT GATSBY
    This film is an adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's famed novel The Great Gatsby. It is the story of Nick Carraway (Maguire), an aspiring writer, who moves to New York to work as a bondsman. Nick becomes intrigued by his mysterious and wealthy neighbor, Jay Gatsby (DiCaprio). Gatsby invites Nick to one of his lavish parties in order to reconnect with Nick's cousin, Daisy Buchanan (Mulligan).
    If you're a huge fan of the book and expect no liberties to be taken from the story, you will not be happy about this film.
    That being said, if you want to see an all around great movie and have an open mind to Baz Luhrmann's style, you'll love this movie. The sets, the color, the cars, and the costumes were fantastic. I even liked how they mixed the modern music with the musical styles of the roaring twenties (which may be a turn off for some).
    The acting was good all around, but Leonardo DiCaprio was great. He seems to get better with every role he plays and he was a wonderful fit for Gatsby.
    This was a great love story, filled with romance, mystery, thrills and extravagance. At a run time of 142 minutes, I never felt like it was too long and in my opinion, it was paced perfectly.
    I do feel like you will miss out if you don't see it in 3D. With the lavish colors and sets, it really makes you feel like you're there and I recommend spending a few extra bucks catch this one in 3D.
    It's funny, I heard a lot of bad things about this film before I had a chance to see it, but as the movie progressed, I was hard pressed to find anything I didn't like about it. I enjoyed it from beginning to finish.
    You will like this if you liked Moulin Rouge! or Luhrmann's Romeo Juliet. On a side note, I do think it's geared towards a younger crowd. I give this movie an "A".

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  47. May 27, 2013
    This film is one of the best I've seen for a while! I haven't read the book, so had no preconception of what it was going to be like. I loved the use of vivid colours and symbolism throughout the film, and I found the film really intriguing. It really gets in your head and plays with your mind. Overall, a thought-provoking, yet enjoyable film with an awesome soundtrack! I'm definitelyThis film is one of the best I've seen for a while! I haven't read the book, so had no preconception of what it was going to be like. I loved the use of vivid colours and symbolism throughout the film, and I found the film really intriguing. It really gets in your head and plays with your mind. Overall, a thought-provoking, yet enjoyable film with an awesome soundtrack! I'm definitely going to read the book now! Expand
  48. Jun 5, 2013
    This movie is certainly fantastical, but there are a few things that throw it off course. First, I loved the way Baz Luhrmann portrayed the twenties, but I wanted the generational music to go with it. Who cares if it's Jay-Z? (Everybody). I wanted some jazz to finalize the theatricality of the cinematography! Also, this is Luhrmann's attempt at getting some oscar recognition, which heThis movie is certainly fantastical, but there are a few things that throw it off course. First, I loved the way Baz Luhrmann portrayed the twenties, but I wanted the generational music to go with it. Who cares if it's Jay-Z? (Everybody). I wanted some jazz to finalize the theatricality of the cinematography! Also, this is Luhrmann's attempt at getting some oscar recognition, which he won't get. The film simply doesn't hold together like an oscar contender. Having said that, the movie is worth checking out. #seeit Expand
  49. Jun 7, 2013
    Like almost every American who has been through high school I read The Great Gatsby and like most high schoolers likely didn't appreciate the novel that first time around. Though the more accurate word is probably that I didn't comprehend all of what it was trying to say I still have yet to re-visit the novel since my sophomore year, but as I sat down to experience the latest filmLike almost every American who has been through high school I read The Great Gatsby and like most high schoolers likely didn't appreciate the novel that first time around. Though the more accurate word is probably that I didn't comprehend all of what it was trying to say I still have yet to re-visit the novel since my sophomore year, but as I sat down to experience the latest film adaptation of the novel by the often flamboyant and always stylish director Baz Luhrman the parts of the story that I vaguely recalled seemed to escape me completely and I was then able to completely embrace the extravagant world in which Luhrman and his team had created for the audience to dig into and become all the better acquainted with the specific time period, the social climate, and the characters that it is necessary to care about before we become entranced with their melodramatic lives. It is to be understood that through the glitz and the glamour of the roaring twenties that this is essentially what F. Scott Fitzgerald's great American novel was if not a high form of it wrapped in commentary for the societal issues of the changing culture during that time. Though it would be easy to dismiss the film as a case of style over substance I was completely on board from the very beginning as the caliber of the cast here was able to elevate what might have been an otherwise overlooked aspect of the production. The depth each actor brings to his or her character lend an emphasis to the themes Fitzgerald touched upon and they are only embellished by Luhrman's preference to have everything as big and excessive as possible. It is a film that entices by the fantasy of the world it exists in and it holds our attention by being consistently stylish and letting it's cast bring their A-game that in turn creates a combination that captures the essence of everything I expected and wanted this film to be.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  50. Jan 31, 2014
    Really wonderful film with great Leonardo Dicaprio. It is good that today in the world which had lost all morale principles we can see such a film...Moreover there's also a great soundtrack!
  51. Jun 21, 2013
    Though the movie capture the extravagant parties and the fast-paced lifestyle of the Roaring Twenties, it ultimately falters when trying to touch on the book's symbolism. The conflict when it arrived felt rushed, and the resolution even sloppier. Some scenes excel in portraying the love and obsession Gatsby had, but when the movie ended, there was a feeling that there should've beenThough the movie capture the extravagant parties and the fast-paced lifestyle of the Roaring Twenties, it ultimately falters when trying to touch on the book's symbolism. The conflict when it arrived felt rushed, and the resolution even sloppier. Some scenes excel in portraying the love and obsession Gatsby had, but when the movie ended, there was a feeling that there should've been more. The casting of Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway, the unreliable, sometimes sarcastic narrator, did not help the movie's cause either. Although this is the best book adaptation, there is still much sought after. Expand
  52. Jul 6, 2013
    Soul-less, overly extravagant, and adorned with nauseating rap music, this relatively poor interpretation of an all-time favourite American classic succeeds in disappointing any hopeful viewer.
  53. Jul 27, 2014
    Glossy to where it's nauseating. A music track missing the era by at least eight decades. And bland performances from all with the exception of Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. It dragged on for at least thirty minutes. And the script is just as bland as the actors' acting. And too much color. Baz Luhrmann, you have s**t for talent.
  54. Oct 13, 2013
    Easily superior to both the 1974 and 1949 films, a gaudy, fast, noisy, overloaded, gorgeously detailed style matches the novel's smashed up atmosphere of distortion and excess. Convincing performances from the entire cast render characters more lifelike than the novel. While it could be a perfect film, the director created a blemish by making the story Romeo and Juliet, when it is meant asEasily superior to both the 1974 and 1949 films, a gaudy, fast, noisy, overloaded, gorgeously detailed style matches the novel's smashed up atmosphere of distortion and excess. Convincing performances from the entire cast render characters more lifelike than the novel. While it could be a perfect film, the director created a blemish by making the story Romeo and Juliet, when it is meant as Don Quixote. The almost cubist, many-sided Gatsby is more than a schmoozing opportunist because of his capacity for illusion that's what makes him "great" leaving him more than a little absurd in the emerging modernist world. He can't see that his earnest, midwestern, pioneering spirit now reaches for something fundamentally careless, insincere, and artificial, like Daisy Buchanan; this movie wrongly gives the impression of tragically unconsummated mutual devotion. While the forest is missed for the trees, this is still a very very fun movie, especially the mashed up styles in the soundtrack. Expand
  55. Nov 1, 2013
    I thought it was a mediocre movie. I'm not really disappointed but i must say it was not very authentic.
    Music was very very poorly chosen, totally failed for me there. Story was not very twisty nor was there anything really special. Costumes were good. To much PC animation, but i've expected that. Wouldn't buy the DVD/BD watch it for free some day on TV or something.
  56. Dec 4, 2013
    Emotional film which has in the great interpretation of Di Caprio (and I say this as someone who usually can hardly appreciate him), and in the wise use of certain phrases/sections of the book, its strength.

Overall, one of the best movies, based on a book, I've ever seen . That said I understand any negative reviews: the style of Luhrmann is sleek and baroque, almost to touch the

Overall, one of the best movies, based on a book, I've ever seen .

That said I understand any negative reviews: the style of Luhrmann is sleek and baroque, almost to touch the grotesque... it's a give or take.

But I do not give a 10 because, in the new century, we are still in the hands of producers such as Jay-Z, that put the money and still want to decide on things that are not within their competence, creating disasters... in this case, inserting improbable musical interludes within the film: real advertising, not even disguised.

I also appreciate the film for this reason: the criticism of the wealth as the only foundation of respect for others, every description of corruption decided by money... this point and crowns Jay- Z (real seller of the mass, other than "producer", musical or not).

By now you have no more social distinctions or skin color... we have a man that personifies the power of money, corruption, and fraud to the masses... and has a dark skin... and this means nothing...
  57. May 9, 2015
    Great movie. I didn't like the book very much, but the movie was very good. Dicaprio plays Gatsby perfectly. He acts bad acting. If he seems like he's not the right person for the role, thats good. Gatsby is described in the book as sounding almost as if he is going out of the way to sound and appear to be "old money". All roles were cast perfectly. Very few negatives to this movie.
  58. Jan 10, 2014
    I really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances, as well as the rest of the cast. The film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties". However, it's long running time of nearly 21/2 hours and a near-constant bombardment ofI really didn't know what to expect when I watched this movie, but I can tell you I was at least pleased with the outcome. Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire both did good performances, as well as the rest of the cast. The film provides an interesting look at the height of the "Roaring Twenties". However, it's long running time of nearly 21/2 hours and a near-constant bombardment of visual over-stimulation might make the film somewhat exhausting for some. Every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect with it's production, grand sets, scenery, and detailed costume designs. I personally feel that while this film doesn't necessarily belongs to the category of overblown, over-elaborate movies out there, it could have benefited from having a less dazzling tone. All that aside, the plot was good and I felt sad at the end for Gatsby. Because of the film I decided to read the book, and the movie is a good adaption of the novel.

If you liked this review, please read my other ones on a wide variety of movies, videogames, and TV shows by clicking on my name, and mark this review as helpful.

(P.S, you may have read this review by me under "andrewgarcia732". I cannot enter my old account and have started a new one.)
  59. Jan 14, 2014
    I can't understand why the critics panned this movie. I thought it was one of the most visually brilliant films I have seen. The visual imagery has also been well used to capture the period, the characters, the plot, the emotions and the mood of the movie. Leonardo DiCaprio turns in a fine performance and is well supported by Tobey Maguire. I enjoyed every bit of it.
  60. Nov 12, 2014
    First half impressions:
    Buhrman applies the same meandering, gen-next pandering schizophrenic approach to ruining a classic as he did to Shakespeare, by way of "modernising it" ie. destroying the intent, feel and meaning of the original work.
    At least the orchestral soundtrack is nicely worked. I would've preferred to see something with the same production values but retaining the pace
    First half impressions:
    At least the orchestral soundtrack is nicely worked.
    I would've preferred to see something with the same production values but retaining the pace and intelligence of the book. Sadly, nothing is available in film form. This is the best we can get. Unfortunate, sad, and a devastating commentary on the expected intelligence of the movie-going populace in this day and age. Making the visuals match the style of the times while altering the musical and video-editing epoch to such a high degree gave a jaded, undereducated feeling to the entire ensemble. The acting is good, toby mcguire does his thing, leonardo dicaprio does his thing, but in Burhman's films, actors are little more than props in a visual story, his effervescent sherbet fizz version of a film.

Second half impressions:
    By the second half Buhrman slows the pace down and it approaches being a normal, contemporary film and a good depiction of the novel. It is unfortunate that he felt the need to hook the audience in with what they expected of him from previous films in the first half. It shows a lack of faith in the audience. More space is given to the actors to actually act in the second half, and the editing slows down long enough to show actual story rather than filigree. The music becomes more appropriate while remaining touches of contemporary work remain. I'm glad he actually managed to show some emotion in this half of the film. The characters develop some depth and become human. I'm happy I watched this half with exception to the two moments of stylised violence that felt emotionally out-of-place with the resonance of the portrayed situation.
  61. Jan 28, 2014
    Beautiful picture with really good actors and a interesting story, but the jay-z songs in the middle of the 20s NY scenario and the extremely computerized buildings and cities didn`t convince me.
  62. Mar 28, 2015
    It is a more faithful film than the previous remake of The Great Gatsby and thus is more watchable, but this version is seem more interested in it's special effects rather than a full focused story.
  63. Mar 21, 2014
    " I've seen many great movies that DiCaprio starred but this is DiCaprio biggest hits yet " . I see a magical place and the big cities and stunning performances and especially Leanardo .
  64. Mar 3, 2014
    Luhrmann's attempt to modernise the story does come across overall as rather stilted. I can see how the purists would be annoyed at the lack of subtlety and how certain themes and characters are portrayed. As a cinematic piece however, the visuals, with some great editing in scenes, and certain performances hold this film together.
  65. Apr 3, 2014
    This is a story that lots of us have heard of. I personally enjoy this movie more than the old one. The main thing I like is that the creator could link the times when the Gatsby is from and nowadays. The costumes and decorations were from 'there, but the music was from our time. Some of the music were following the style ofjazz and some were just like dubstep, which helped to notice tgeThis is a story that lots of us have heard of. I personally enjoy this movie more than the old one. The main thing I like is that the creator could link the times when the Gatsby is from and nowadays. The costumes and decorations were from 'there, but the music was from our time. Some of the music were following the style ofjazz and some were just like dubstep, which helped to notice tge difference between two worlds. However, behind that, I felt like I am there with Gatsby and other characters, feeling everything they feel. Good new production, but I reccomend to read the book before watching. Expand
  66. Jun 30, 2014
    I’ll have this soundtrack going though my head for the next couple of weeks. The Great Gatsby takes place in a futuristic feeling twenties which gives the movie a very entertaining yet confusing setting. The movie follows an average New York Wall Street broker who takes an interest in his mysterious neighbor, Mr. Gatsby. It’s hard to say what this movie is really about without giving awayI’ll have this soundtrack going though my head for the next couple of weeks. The Great Gatsby takes place in a futuristic feeling twenties which gives the movie a very entertaining yet confusing setting. The movie follows an average New York Wall Street broker who takes an interest in his mysterious neighbor, Mr. Gatsby. It’s hard to say what this movie is really about without giving away too much. For a movie based on a critically acclaimed novel written in the the mid-twenties, it sure has a modern feel to it. This aspect of the film bugged me at first, but I quickly got used to it, falling into the surreal fantasy of Gatsby's world. I found this movie very entertaining and fun, all while being clever. The film had a very exaggerated feel to it, like a play on broadway. At first it was distracting but the style grew on me as the movie progressed. So I have to say acting was pretty good, Leonardo DiCaprio knocked it out of the park as usual with a great performance. On more of the downside the film lacked a sense of reality and pushed characters past the point of being believable. I felt it didn't really try to be anything it wasn't, and seemed to be pretty self-aware. The movie looked and sounded great. I recommend it for a different kind of movie watching experience. Expand
  67. TEM
    May 29, 2014
    The cast is excellent and it all looks perfect. I suggest reading the book first as it makes the movie better. I like Jay Z so I have no problem with the music selections. Overall, a good movie but Fitzgerald's story ultimately drags the movie down a little.
  68. Jun 13, 2014
    The Great Gatsby looks to be very simple, but it actually hides a very complex story that is more than a romantic, high society, what ever story. charismatic Jay Gatsby uses all of New York to weave his shell game. It is so well written that when reading a lot of reviews, professional and not, so many do not see the forest through the trees. What Mr. Fitzgerald has done is woven multipleThe Great Gatsby looks to be very simple, but it actually hides a very complex story that is more than a romantic, high society, what ever story. charismatic Jay Gatsby uses all of New York to weave his shell game. It is so well written that when reading a lot of reviews, professional and not, so many do not see the forest through the trees. What Mr. Fitzgerald has done is woven multiple stories into one character, and made it look easy. The movie was well done on all aspects Expand
  69. Jul 5, 2014
    I believe modernizing "The Great Gatsby" was a huge mistake, because precise period detail plays a very important role in Gatsby's story. Using modern hip-hop and R&B songs obviously won't give you a glimpse of the roaring 20s. Casting Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway seems wrong as well; his character is supposed to be the one any viewer could identify with, (Because in the book he is theI believe modernizing "The Great Gatsby" was a huge mistake, because precise period detail plays a very important role in Gatsby's story. Using modern hip-hop and R&B songs obviously won't give you a glimpse of the roaring 20s. Casting Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway seems wrong as well; his character is supposed to be the one any viewer could identify with, (Because in the book he is the POV character) but "Peter Parker" obviously does not have the skills to do that.

All in all with less whining - The quality of "The Great Gatsby" is mixed to negative.
  70. Jul 7, 2014
    As I seen The Great Gatsby movie at my school, I find it pretty good. Though the only problem with this movie is the music. You see, the music wasn't fit in right. It was too modern. Especially with Jay-Z as the music producer. If he weren't producing rap music much, I would loved the movie even more. So go check it out if you hadn't seen it. It's a pretty good movie.
  71. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Film is such a gift by science and a chance to take the flat page and make it truly alive in sight and sound and mood, this movie reminds me as a child of my wonderment in seeing my first pop up picture book, and after a fleeting wonderment, just wanting to rip the image out to see if it does anything else.

Daisy is not worth Jay's efforts and pain - a failure in casting, portrayal, she's a non entity, she's not aloof, she's not animated, nor desirable in any way, we don't need to care about Daisy, but we need to see why Jay does love her, not a hint of why.

Leonardo offers the only window into his love for Daisy, the fear in his face when he stands at the open door drenched by the rain.

Nick, supposed to drive the story for us, and make us see inside Jay's soul....Tobey Maguire another epic miscast, the character of Nick needs to have a voice, and make us care and feel a loss when Jay dies, make us feel sad when no one attends his funeral, I just kept worrying about the autumn leaves getting in the pool and hoping someone would drain it before winter.

When someone has already done the hard work of writing a story for you....there is no excuse for screwing it up.

A fantastic failure at best
  72. Nov 9, 2014
    A surprising emotional scope blended with good cinematography, a great soundtrack and very stylish direction gives Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby a grand overall feel.
  73. Oct 26, 2014
    Let me to say first. I have not seen the original film. (I mean the one in 1974). For me this film is one of the best films seen. Leonardo DiCaprio other actors, playing in a very pleasant way. Music is also very good, even impressed me.
  74. Sep 13, 2014
    "The Great Gatsby" is just another movie that proves Leonardo DeCaprio deserves an Oscar. Sure the movie was even more complicated than i expected, which made me feel less and less a fan of the movie, but the only thing that was 100% positive was Leonardo Decaprio's acting. Amazing.
  75. Sep 20, 2014
    A magnificent and beautiful film to watch, The Great Gatsby captures the opulence but little else.

I purposely did not reread the book prior to watching the movie, having last read it some ten years ago, wanting to give Baz Luhrmann as much leniency toward a successful interpretation as possible. Even still, I recalled dialogue and characters torn from the book and it sounded wrong. The storyline is simplified into a doomed and tragic love story when it is, in fact, more complex. I recall traveling with Nick Carraway to the parties, at first drunk by the wealth and extravagance. But, then, like Nick, disillusioned as the characters’ true faults become clearer as you are able to see past their lavish lifestyles, all the while feeling like an outsider due to the social divide. This growth is virtually nonexistent in the Baz Luhrmann invention.

Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan, captured the vulnerability and desperate desire for love without becoming some feeble caricature. Though I recall disliking Daisy because she was indecisive, self-absorbed and therefore almost seemed manipulatively aware of the trouble she centers. Mulligan is the only one who produces a fully thought out character; all other characters from F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel are shells. Joel Edgerton’s Tom Buchanan is an arrogant brute throwing his stature and prestige around, but there is little else. Tobey Maguire does a good job as a narrator but his Nick Carraway is half-formed; pliable and weak instead of easy-going and optimistic though slightly naïve. Jay Gatsby and Leonardo DiCaprio are mystifying, but not the ruthless man, startlingly, unwaveringly obsessive toward attaining what he wishes.

The sets and costumes are engrossing, intoxicating and wonderfully garish. The music is fun and modern yielding a transportive film. It is a great story, great film, but not the one F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote.

More reviews can be found at our website.
  76. Nov 13, 2014
    "The Great Gatsby" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"The Great Gatsby" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: Extremely well acted with brilliant performances everywhere. Even Carey Mulligan (who I typically dislike) did an amazing job. You've come to expect it, but DiCaprio brought his A game. I think the most shocking to me was Tobey Maguire, who I usually find to be average on his best days. He did a great job too. Some people disliked the tone and felt that it strayed from the book, but I thought the tone was perfectly fine.

The Bad: The modern rap/dance/R&B soundtrack was distracting and very out of place. A few party scenes were too long and at times I got tired of watching slow-mo dance and debauchery set to Jay Z.
  77. Jan 29, 2015
    One of those few movies that gives its book incredible life (not saying it necessarily reflects the book).
    Great soundtrack. Leo does wonderful.
    Spiderman is definitely not my favorite actor by an stretch but he fits in great.
  78. Mar 3, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is just awful! it just awful and awful movies don't need to be in here because it just awful you feel me? so yes I would agree that this movie is for the next gen but it awful. Expand
  79. Mar 26, 2015
    The drama is tense and the romance is believable, but die to Luhmann's chaotic direction, the heart of the material gets lost along the way. At the end of the day, The Great Gatsby, is far from a masterpiece in many aspects, but at least it's a faithful tribute to the novel its based upon, which I supposed is all a big Gatsby fan can as for at this point.
  80. May 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dear F. Scott Fitzgerald,
    I sincerely apologize for the cruel and tasteless adaptation of The Great Gatsby Baz Luhrmann created. Mr. Luhrmann butchered this masterpiece into something your mother wouldnt be proud to put on the refrigerator. It all begins with the opening scene and only goes down from there.
    Nick Carraway the only pure-hearted gentlemen in the entire book, our narrator, is seamlessly turned into a fraction of himself in the movie. He is created to be a man so torn up by the events he has encountered that the only way to cure him is to seek medical help. Spoiler alert the last line in the book “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” is literally (well more figuratively) Nick Carraway telling us we must continue to move on with our lives! And if you think it can’t get any worse you are sadly mistaken.
    As for the graphics and CGI they were so dreadfully awful that I was confused to if I was watching a movie about the 1920’s or a Jay-Z music video. The ridiculously cheesy slow motion moments (when myrtle is falling to her death and when we meet Gatsby for the first time) do nothing for helping the movies case as well. Mr. Luhrmann PIMPED out everything that he possibly could; from the girls to the cars everything was more than modern. Mr. Luhrmann took his fantasy of living the modern american dream and projectiled (not projected) it onto this classic. When the parties at Gatsby’s occur they are nothing but costume parties for people of this time and age. The houses in the movie are so incredibly ostentatious as well that they display the entire facade of the movie. They are so graphically enhanced this movie looks nothing like an actual motion picture but something of a cartoon. But at least the setting matches the characters.
    The most heartbreaking part of the entire movie is that the characters -mostly female- are portrayed all wrong. Daisy is played to be weak and helpless and enough though at times she is, she is also an arrogant women caring more about her money and status than the people around her. Myrtle is a stickley women designed to be the perfect mistress, an equal to Daisy, but in the book she is a curvy women and nothing in the slightest bit Daisy. But I must admit there were some parts of the movie that weren’t as hard to swallow.
    It is admirable that Mr. Luhrmann put the old college effort into creating a movie based on such a classic american novel. It was a good attempt using quotes from the book to help the audience members who have yet to read The Great Gatsby. But sadly the quotes were twisted and bent to match the vision Baz Luhrmann had in mind.
    My suggestion stick to the book.
    If you’re looking for a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio lying about his money and throwing big parties try The Wolf of Wall Street it’s much less cliche.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though — and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
  2. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    May 27, 2013
    What Luhrmann makes intoxicating is a sense of place – the houses, the rooms, the city, the roads – and the sense that all this is unfolding in a bubble like some mad fable. Where he falters is in persuading us that these are real, breathing folk whose experiences and destinies can move us.
  3. Reviewed by: Jane Crowther
    May 20, 2013
    Gatsby fans will be unoffended yet untransported, but soundtracks will sell, DiCaprio will be on bedroom walls again and new readers may discover the book - which is no bad thing.