The Great Gatsby

7.2

1. May 13, 2013
    “The Great Gatsby” stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey maguire (he spells it that way), Jason Clark and Joel Edgerton in this remake of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of life and its extravagances in the mid ‘20’s. Unfortunately, not true to the flavor and depth of this great novel, Director and Co-writer Baz Luhrmann gives us a glitzy overdone film with no depth or intensity but,“The Great Gatsby” stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey maguire (he spells it that way), Jason Clark and Joel Edgerton in this remake of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of life and its extravagances in the mid ‘20’s. Unfortunately, not true to the flavor and depth of this great novel, Director and Co-writer Baz Luhrmann gives us a glitzy overdone film with no depth or intensity but, instead, the shallowness of a music video. First, a disclaimer. I am no fan of either Tobey maguire or of Mr. DiCaprio and with these precommitted feelings, it’s difficult to enjoy any vehicle either of them are in, let alone both. Mr. maguire whines his way through this overdone narrative and Mr. DiCaprio continues to look like a teenager trying to play an adult. If he uttered the phrase “old spoaht” one more time in the film, I would’ve thrown my 3D glasses at the screen. Speaking of that, this film has no dimension so the need to try to see it in 3D is useless. I at one point took off the glasses and could not honestly tell the difference. So visually and substantively, the film lacks so much except one thing…..time. This lifeless seemingly never ending film lasts for 2 and hours and screams for an editor’s splicing machine. The special effects and scenery, as costly as they may have been, seems to be the impetus for the movie’s length since it’s hard to put so much set money on the floor of the editing room. The old “how many times did I look at my watch” test proved accurate for I recall no less than 6. This Gatsy is neither ‘great’ nor ‘good’ and, at best, is mediocre. As bad as the 1974 version of the film with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow was, this is probably worse. I give the film a rating of 3.The viewers, F. Scott and those interested in good filmmaking deserve better. Expand
  2. May 17, 2013
    I have not read the book for this film but I am fairly certain it doesn't reference the Jay-Z and Beyonce songs playing in the background. Look, I get that this is how the director likes to do his thing, but I can't take it, complete garbage and it will look even worse in ten years when people hear the awful music and laugh it off.
  3. Nov 3, 2013
    There is little of redeeming value in this flick. It made me nostalgic for the version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow and the critics weren't very kind to that one either.
  4. Aug 31, 2013
    Unfortunately, reducing one of the great novels to a shiny self-indulgent music video is the least of its problems. The narration was so annoying and never ending and the performances were bizarre. I could care less about the characters because not one of the them actually felt real. It was a very boring movie. There was obviously a great deal of effort put into this movie, but LuhrmannUnfortunately, reducing one of the great novels to a shiny self-indulgent music video is the least of its problems. The narration was so annoying and never ending and the performances were bizarre. I could care less about the characters because not one of the them actually felt real. It was a very boring movie. There was obviously a great deal of effort put into this movie, but Luhrmann is more interested in what you see and hear rather than what you are supposed to think and feel. Expand
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    The film swaps the tender poetry of the book for snappy, breezy gloss, and is further tarnishes the classic with the cartoony CGI settings.
    And Baz's casting of Daisy, Gatsby's obsession: Not so Great.
  6. May 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dear F. Scott Fitzgerald,
    I sincerely apologize for the cruel and tasteless adaptation of The Great Gatsby Baz Luhrmann created. Mr. Luhrmann butchered this masterpiece into something your mother wouldnt be proud to put on the refrigerator. It all begins with the opening scene and only goes down from there.
    Nick Carraway the only pure-hearted gentlemen in the entire book, our narrator, is seamlessly turned into a fraction of himself in the movie. He is created to be a man so torn up by the events he has encountered that the only way to cure him is to seek medical help. Spoiler alert the last line in the book “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” is literally (well more figuratively) Nick Carraway telling us we must continue to move on with our lives! And if you think it can’t get any worse you are sadly mistaken.
    As for the graphics and CGI they were so dreadfully awful that I was confused to if I was watching a movie about the 1920’s or a Jay-Z music video. The ridiculously cheesy slow motion moments (when myrtle is falling to her death and when we meet Gatsby for the first time) do nothing for helping the movies case as well. Mr. Luhrmann PIMPED out everything that he possibly could; from the girls to the cars everything was more than modern. Mr. Luhrmann took his fantasy of living the modern american dream and projectiled (not projected) it onto this classic. When the parties at Gatsby’s occur they are nothing but costume parties for people of this time and age. The houses in the movie are so incredibly ostentatious as well that they display the entire facade of the movie. They are so graphically enhanced this movie looks nothing like an actual motion picture but something of a cartoon. But at least the setting matches the characters.
    The most heartbreaking part of the entire movie is that the characters -mostly female- are portrayed all wrong. Daisy is played to be weak and helpless and enough though at times she is, she is also an arrogant women caring more about her money and status than the people around her. Myrtle is a stickley women designed to be the perfect mistress, an equal to Daisy, but in the book she is a curvy women and nothing in the slightest bit Daisy. But I must admit there were some parts of the movie that weren’t as hard to swallow.
    It is admirable that Mr. Luhrmann put the old college effort into creating a movie based on such a classic american novel. It was a good attempt using quotes from the book to help the audience members who have yet to read The Great Gatsby. But sadly the quotes were twisted and bent to match the vision Baz Luhrmann had in mind.
    My suggestion stick to the book.
    If you’re looking for a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio lying about his money and throwing big parties try The Wolf of Wall Street it’s much less cliche.
  7. Jun 26, 2013
    Baz Luhrmann turns everything he touches into Las Vegas. Fitzgerald's curtains billowing in the breeze become Salome's seven veils; Gatsby's expensive shirts are flung about like confetti. DiCaprio alone emerges with honor. Some of the supporting players seem to have come from The Addams family (Jordan Baker) or Bollywood (Meyer Wolfsheim). There's a difference between expansive andBaz Luhrmann turns everything he touches into Las Vegas. Fitzgerald's curtains billowing in the breeze become Salome's seven veils; Gatsby's expensive shirts are flung about like confetti. DiCaprio alone emerges with honor. Some of the supporting players seem to have come from The Addams family (Jordan Baker) or Bollywood (Meyer Wolfsheim). There's a difference between expansive and crass--it's not heeded here. Rock bottom. Expand
  8. MTP
    May 26, 2013
    Baz, it worked for Moulin Rouge a really great movie but once is enough, be creative that is what you get paid for otherwise you could just do Fast and Furious #7 #22. There is so much to the story but hokey photography, 3D effects and a lamed out screen play leaves one looking for the end. Once again DiCaprio shows his depth in this one still can’t act, never could doubtful that heBaz, it worked for Moulin Rouge a really great movie but once is enough, be creative that is what you get paid for otherwise you could just do Fast and Furious #7 #22. There is so much to the story but hokey photography, 3D effects and a lamed out screen play leaves one looking for the end. Once again DiCaprio shows his depth in this one still can’t act, never could doubtful that he ever will. DiCaprio is like so many other mono dimensional “actors” that are only able to play parts that don’t require them to act just play themselves in front of the camera. Tom Cruise, John Wayne and Ashton Kutcher just to name a few. One more thing; what is with the Rap music in a 1920’s film? If you like supporting crappy, ridiculous, unimaginative (remember this is just a Moulin Rouge feel rip-off) Hollywood movies and pretty boy actors, then please throw you money away. Collapse
  9. Sep 29, 2013
    I've read the book and absolutely hated this movie. its just some over-polished, badly paced, and poorly acted piece of trash. i couldn't care less about the characters, they all felt so disconnected to the movie, they all felt sooo fake. and what about those party scenes where everybody just spontaneously spazzes out to some "hip tuuunes" that did nothing but SUCK. all this combinedI've read the book and absolutely hated this movie. its just some over-polished, badly paced, and poorly acted piece of trash. i couldn't care less about the characters, they all felt so disconnected to the movie, they all felt sooo fake. and what about those party scenes where everybody just spontaneously spazzes out to some "hip tuuunes" that did nothing but SUCK. all this combined spiraled this movie into an unbearable 2h c***fest Expand
  10. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Film is such a gift by science and a chance to take the flat page and make it truly alive in sight and sound and mood, this movie reminds me as a child of my wonderment in seeing my first pop up picture book, and after a fleeting wonderment, just wanting to rip the image out to see if it does anything else.

Daisy is not worth Jay's efforts and pain - a failure in casting, portrayal, she's a non entity, she's not aloof, she's not animated, nor desirable in any way, we don't need to care about Daisy, but we need to see why Jay does love her, not a hint of why.

Leonardo offers the only window into his love for Daisy, the fear in his face when he stands at the open door drenched by the rain.

Nick, supposed to drive the story for us, and make us see inside Jay's soul....Tobey Maguire another epic miscast, the character of Nick needs to have a voice, and make us care and feel a loss when Jay dies, make us feel sad when no one attends his funeral, I just kept worrying about the autumn leaves getting in the pool and hoping someone would drain it before winter.

When someone has already done the hard work of writing a story for you....there is no excuse for screwing it up.

A fantastic failure at best
  11. Mar 3, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is just awful! it just awful and awful movies don't need to be in here because it just awful you feel me? so yes I would agree that this movie is for the next gen but it awful. Expand
  12. Mar 7, 2014
    This film adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby, is about a man in the 1920s trying to win back the woman he loves. This version is a cartoon with real life actors - everything super brightly colored and sporting more special effects than a Star Wars movie, much of it very fake looking. Gatsby's home when shot from the exterior is so obviously computer generated it'sThis film adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby, is about a man in the 1920s trying to win back the woman he loves. This version is a cartoon with real life actors - everything super brightly colored and sporting more special effects than a Star Wars movie, much of it very fake looking. Gatsby's home when shot from the exterior is so obviously computer generated it's shocking. There's plenty of blue screen (or green screen these days) that is about as obvious as can be, with the lighting on the actor standing in front of the green screen not matching the lighting in the scene projected behind him on the green screen. It might as well be a Godzilla movie from the 60s at those moments. You might wonder why they felt the need for so many effects. The camera whizzes around Long Island over and under elevated tracks in Manhattan, almost all of which (both Manhattan and Long Island) appear computer generated, so much like a computer game I felt like readying my controller to start controlling the main character. It's a miracle that amidst all this crazy visual jazz, that the story's basic outline (because that is all there is here; just a skeleton of the plot) doesn't get lost. That was a feat and for that I give it 1 star out of 10.

The movie does calm down in that last half hour and become closer to something normal visually, but by then I was tired of watching. Add to this the bizarre use of hip hop and other music not of the period (Jay-Z and Beyonce; that's Jay Z's ego ruining the movie, as he's a producer of this catastrophe) and you get the impression that this was made by an extremely insecure story teller who had no faith in his audience or in his abilities to capture their attention simply by telling story. Maybe he didn't have faith in his actors. Whatever the cause, the director or whoever called the shots, decided that rendering the story well wasn't enough without overstuffing the production with candy colored effects and noise ad nauseam. The result is that, instead of being drawn into the story, you are constantly pushed out by the weird over-the-top distractions. It's like watching a Shakespeare play while someone constantly lights of fireworks in front of the production. What an ordeal! You think it's innocent enough - just spending a couple hours watching a movie - but by the time it's over you feel like you've been in some kind of two hour accident or a small war. You feel damaged. I recommend instead the novel, which is quite beautifully written.
  13. Aug 12, 2013
    Horrible. The green-screen was overused and the story was reduced to cheap soap-opera with awful music. The acting is okay, but the characters are suffering from the writing too. Every character seems overacted and just like the whole movie 'artificial'. Not worth watching...
  14. Jun 5, 2013
    This interpretation of the great Gatsby is neither great nor good. This is a bust, add this to the recent list of DiCaprio flops. the rap music and dizzying camera work made me sick. the great f. Scot Fitzgerald nevel is turned in to garbage. The only saving grace is Toby Maguire's supporting performance. Pleas, read the book, forget the movie.
  15. Sep 15, 2013
    The film is an extended, almost annoying than the boring. Uneventful, low scenario. Anyone who does not wait to see more. I did not like. I do not recommend it!
  16. Jan 2, 2014
    F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is undeniably one if the greatest novels in American literature, and one of my personal favourites. I was thrilled to find out that the book was being adapted into big budget movie, and I thought that Casting Leo as Gatsby was brilliant.... I was so disappointed with the film. The acting was spot on, and the cinematography was impressive; however,F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is undeniably one if the greatest novels in American literature, and one of my personal favourites. I was thrilled to find out that the book was being adapted into big budget movie, and I thought that Casting Leo as Gatsby was brilliant.... I was so disappointed with the film. The acting was spot on, and the cinematography was impressive; however, the directing was horrible. Also, the most iconic moments in the book were cut short and reduced into a music video. What the hell was Baz thinking? I'll rate it a one for Leo and Carey Expand
  17. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible. Simply awful. How anyone can endure this for more than 5 minutes is beyond me. Rap music in the twenties WTF The characters are all overacted to the point that none of them is the least bit intriguing or interesting. The dialogues are beyond dumb and stupid. There is no chemistry at all between the main character and the writer. Why would Gatsby show him around The writer is the most boring person on the face of the planet. None of the women are pretty or interesting either.
    The question remains: why are these movies made Seems to me that anyone involved in the production was high on cocaine. I have no other explanation for coming up with a script and screenplay like this one...
  18. Aug 31, 2013
    This is one of the worst movies ever. The director should be arrested for this absolutely insulting adaption of The Great Gatsby. Never was I more convinced to just get up and leave the theater in the middle of the movie.
  19. Jul 27, 2013
    Is it just me or was this the most boring Leo movie ever! No intense moments whatsoever. I really have nothing else to add except that it was way too long and I almost fell asleep in the movie theatre. And 3D is not worth it if there is just going to be 3d snow an rain.
  20. Jun 6, 2013
    what a great disappointment this movie was. a totally unrealistic and poorly directed movie i am a die hard Leonardo fan but this was the worst movie i have seen him in. my wife and i have watched nearly ten thousand movies together over the years. we have only ever walked out of three movies. the great Gatsby was the third.

the camera shot changes were so fast they hurt the eyes

the camera shot changes were so fast they hurt the eyes and the whole movie was a cross between a poor melodrama and a and a badly produced farce. after enduring one hour and ten minutes of over stimulation and a care less attitude from the actors, we decided to leave.

for a movie that promised so much, it delievered very little. even the great Leonardo DiCaprio seemed disinterested in his part. he particularly appeared reluctant to deliever his lines when the included the words old sport.
  21. Aug 31, 2013
    Disgraceful, distasteful and every other adjective that means appalling, and that still wouldn't be enough to describe this movie. Leo was flat out embarrassing. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
  22. Jun 25, 2013
    Here's my review: i am not going to see this even if it comes out on a $2 DVD sale at BigW. It reminds me of the movie Australia, overlong, boring and self indulgent, it assumes its own importance will draw me in. I haven't seen Australia either.
  23. Nov 15, 2013
    This is probably the most uninteresting movie. You shouldn't put newer music in a movie that's supposed to take place in 20's, the music threw everything off. Yeah the movie should only be partially like the book but since the book is a really good classic you guys screwed everything up. Leonardo dicaprio is an amazing actor and is good in this movie but the rest of actors is just a no.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 11, 2013
    Even when the movie's not working, its style fascinates. That "not working" part is a deal breaker, though — and it has little to do with Luhrmann's stylistic gambits, and everything to do with his inability to reconcile them with an urge to play things straight.
  2. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    May 27, 2013
    What Luhrmann makes intoxicating is a sense of place – the houses, the rooms, the city, the roads – and the sense that all this is unfolding in a bubble like some mad fable. Where he falters is in persuading us that these are real, breathing folk whose experiences and destinies can move us.
  3. Reviewed by: Jane Crowther
    May 20, 2013
    Gatsby fans will be unoffended yet untransported, but soundtracks will sell, DiCaprio will be on bedroom walls again and new readers may discover the book - which is no bad thing.