Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: May 10, 2013
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 779 Ratings
Watch Now
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"The Great Gatsby" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"The Great Gatsby" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: Extremely well acted with brilliant performances everywhere. Even Carey Mulligan (who I typically dislike) did an amazing job. You've come to expect it, but DiCaprio brought his A game. I think the most shocking to me was Tobey Maguire, who I usually find to be average on his best days. He did a great job too. Some people disliked the tone and felt that it strayed from the book, but I thought the tone was perfectly fine.

The Bad: The modern rap/dance/R&B soundtrack was distracting and very out of place. A few party scenes were too long and at times I got tired of watching slow-mo dance and debauchery set to Jay Z.
wornoutspinesJul 1, 2015
The simplicity behind the story is almost laughable, it’s been done, and it’s déjà-vu but The Great Gatsby plays its cards right. It’s starts with the execution, the directing, the photography and the acting is impressive. You can see BazThe simplicity behind the story is almost laughable, it’s been done, and it’s déjà-vu but The Great Gatsby plays its cards right. It’s starts with the execution, the directing, the photography and the acting is impressive. You can see Baz Luhrmann’s stamp throughout the film, it’s colorful, loud, and a bit in your face but it works because it fits Nick (Tobey Maguire)’s point of view. Nick’s the one telling the story, so the excess, the sensory overload, the overwhelming aspect of the fast life of the roaring 20s New York is exactly how a guy like Nick would experience it.

The director knows music and how to use it, and did an interesting job with it. The music of the past and the present are intertwined and it works. The familiarity of the present song are there but the 1920s beats takes you back and deeper into that lavish world.

The film is in its core a human story, with romance, drama, and a hint of mystery. The direction captures the themes and morals of the story really well but the actors’ performances bring it home. Tobey Maguire’s voice over and performance is nuanced, he’s an observer and a participant at the same time in the film. Leonardo DiCaprio is at the peak of his powers, in full command of his acting abilities, he’s brilliant in this film. Joel Edgerton, Elizabeth Debicki, and Isla Fisher should be mentioned because they were very good. Carey Mulligan is the one I wasn’t completely sold on the first time around - she looked too young - but watching it again I get it and understand how she could have been cast in this film.

The Great Gatsby is entertaining and quite captivating, Baz Luhrmann knows how to shoot grand epic love stories.

Written by @wornoutspines
GilbertoMay 18, 2013
The Great Gatsby starts weak. Everything felt too uneventful, the introduction of characters and their performances were overshadowed by the fast paced direction that seemed to give more importance to its bombastic and exuberant screenplayThe Great Gatsby starts weak. Everything felt too uneventful, the introduction of characters and their performances were overshadowed by the fast paced direction that seemed to give more importance to its bombastic and exuberant screenplay than anything else. Whats more, the script which is full of actual quotes from the book felt forced. Is as if Luhrmann wanted to draw every detail from the book as fast as possible and with little depth. Fortunately the movie eventually slows down and starts delivering a much more profound and interesting film. The scenes become longer and much more significant, and the performances from the great cast start to flourish. Leonardo DiCaprio is the highlight, delivering a very credible Gatsby that fits perfectly within the lines of the book. That is with Joel Edgerton also delivering an incredible performance as Tom. At the end. the movie then becomes a smooth combination of great story, acting and amazing cinematography, but never letting the latter outshine the former like it did in the first 15 minutes or so. Ultimately it is a very enjoyable film that effectively transcends the book into the big screen, and its one of the best movies of the year so far. Expand
EdgarMar 22, 2014
I enjoyed this movie. The sets are fantastic, although the juxtaposition of modern music with a 1920's setting is not a good choice. I would expect this in a Broadway musical, but to see 1920's characters dancing to Jay-Z is just distractingI enjoyed this movie. The sets are fantastic, although the juxtaposition of modern music with a 1920's setting is not a good choice. I would expect this in a Broadway musical, but to see 1920's characters dancing to Jay-Z is just distracting in this film. They could just as easily have replaced the phones in the film with the latest IPhones, it would have had the same effect.. The music unnecessarily breaks the fourth wall even though the characters do not. The film is otherwise great. Expand
JennetPMay 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wish “The Great Gatsby” had opted to be either much more faithful or much less faithful to Fitzgerald's novel. As it was, the film’s fidelity, especially early on, made its ultimate departures dismaying--at least to this lover of both Fitzgerald's writing and Luhrmann's films. It was as though the director was perfectly happy to party with the novelist but didn’t want to endure the brutal clarity of his hangover. The worst offenders, for me, were the kinder, gentler Daisy and Tom. In the novel, though superficially charming, they are, at heart, cruel, greedy and self-obsessed; in the film, they are flawed but relatively sympathetic. And, to make that work, Luhrman makes Gatsby less sympathetic--and he makes Nick’s admiration for Gatsby deeply suspect. During the final showdown at the Plaza Hotel, for example, Luhrmann's Gatsby becomes physically violent, alarming Daisy, who then decides to leave him. In the novel, Gatsby's violence is limited to a fleeting facial expression, and Daisy's terror has multiple causes, not least the intrusion of real passions into her elaborate social game. In the film, right after Myrtle is killed, Tom points her vengeful husband at Gatsby, as the driver of the "death car." Perfectly understandable: Gatsby normally drives the car, and Tom is distraught over the death of his lover. In the novel, however, Tom fingers Gatsby the following day, AFTER learning that Gatsby is innocent and his own wife the killer. That's a whole 'nother level of depravity, and, for me, it's much more interesting than "he did it because he was grieving," a tired motive that appears on TV at least a hundred times per week. So what does Luhrman achieve by making Fitzgerald's characters more familiar and formulaic while preserving so much of Fitzgerald's language and plot? For one thing, he backs away from the idea that vast, unearned wealth can be corrupting, as can vast differences between the “haves” and the “have nots.” Moreover, from the moment he introduces Nick as a mental patient, he decides for us that Gatsby was more deluded fool than idealist, whereas Fitzgerald was careful to keep the two possibilities balanced. These, for me, are losses. While I have no problem with plot or character changes, generally--I loved Luhrmann’s tweaking of “Romeo and Juliet,” for instance--there has to be a payoff, and I don’t see one here, unless you count instant recognition as a virtue, which, I suppose, billions of McDonald’s customers do. Finally, a word about the film's music. When I heard Filter’s “Happy Together” in a preview, I got excited. After the mostly edgeless tunes and sappy baladeering of “Moulin Rouge,” I was ready for some thrilling music to accompany Luhrmann’s thrilling visuals. But thrills turned out to be in short supply. I liked Jay Z’s “$100 Bill” for the speakeasy scene, which was appropriately urban and decadent, but some of the other hip-hop tunes clashed badly with the anti-urban milieu of the Hamptons. The most egregious misfire, however, was Lana Del Ray’s “Young and Beautiful” as the theme song of Gatsby and Daisy’s renewed love. “Will you still love me when I’m no longer young and beautiful?” asks the song, over and over, a question utterly irrelevant to the reunion, after five years, of a man cherishing a beautiful illusion and a woman seeking diversion. I can only conclude that Luhrmann and his music director, Anton Monsted, think audiences don’t listen to song lyrics. I also question Monsted’s taste (he did “Moulin Rouge,” too), which I find too reliant on what is--or has been--at the top of the charts. He strikes me as a man who listens to popular radio and little else, making most of his musical choices obvious, boring, and ill-suited to their dramatic contexts. I’ve heard much better music on TV shows such as “The Sopranos,” “Life,” and “Sons of Anarchy,” and I wish Luhrmann would hire one of their music supervisors (or me) for his next film. Expand
TokyochuchuFeb 16, 2014
The Great Gatsby is my favorite novel of all time and I am keenly aware that it is super difficult to translate into film. That said, if you can make it past the garish "I'm Bazz Lurhmann!" horror of the first 30 minutes, the director finallyThe Great Gatsby is my favorite novel of all time and I am keenly aware that it is super difficult to translate into film. That said, if you can make it past the garish "I'm Bazz Lurhmann!" horror of the first 30 minutes, the director finally lets his actors breathe and the classic scenes come raining down with suitable emotion. It's not a home-run for sure, but this version of The Great Gatsby is at least a good try. Expand
HfahmyJun 2, 2013
Love is blind, motivating, energizing. Gatsby the new name of a poor man who becomes wealthy out of nowhere. He buys a huge residence close to his lost love, he invites the town hopping she shows up. When he finds her he starts going back toLove is blind, motivating, energizing. Gatsby the new name of a poor man who becomes wealthy out of nowhere. He buys a huge residence close to his lost love, he invites the town hopping she shows up. When he finds her he starts going back to losing her again. He is finally killed by wrong understanding from a poor man who thought Gatsby is behind his wife killing in a car accident. Excellent scenes and colors, persuading acting. Everybody has this movie in mind days after leaving the theater. Not to be missed. Expand
Vanessa_SAug 30, 2013
I was having trouble rating it 7or8. Because it's one of those movies with an epic story, an amazing cast, magnificent scenes, breathtaking music, but a not so good director...
csw12Aug 19, 2013
The movie is clearly overdone on spectacle, but deep within, the emotion and complexity of Fitzgerald's novel comes to life to remind people of a what made this book so important then and now.
A_NorthernerMay 29, 2013
So, could Baz Luhrmann, with Jay-Z at his side, deliver a modern adaptation of the the Great American Novel that would be well received by all? I think the answer from the offset was always going to be no. Instead, Luhrmann delivers a visualSo, could Baz Luhrmann, with Jay-Z at his side, deliver a modern adaptation of the the Great American Novel that would be well received by all? I think the answer from the offset was always going to be no. Instead, Luhrmann delivers a visual feast of a film, one that tries to balance Luhrman's big number style with an authenticity to the source material but one that relies too heavily on narration, some cheap visual effects and ends up failing to fully flesh out the key relationship central to the story.

I don't have any specific problem with Baz Luhrmann's style, I liked his take on Romeo & Juliet and have managed to avoid Moulin Rouge so far. I thought he would be a good match for the glitz, glamour and decadence of the period and I thought this side of the film worked out well. The style factor was never going to be in doubt. The use of music in the film has been the subject of some debate and I'm going to side with the positive. It worked fairly well for me, hip hop goes hand in hand with excess and the modern songs fitted well with the music video style of Gatsby's parties. Lana Del Rey's song Young & Beautiful is mesmerisingly haunting and is the perfect accompaniment for the film's troubled lovers. Having not read the book and therefore not being aware of the literary themes in place this may be an unfair comment, especially if fans of the book appreciated the inclusion, but I felt the direction was slightly heavy handed in places, I certainly felt the references to the all-seeing eyes and green light were more than driven home.

Leonardo DiCaprio gives a mature, refined performance befitting the great nature of the man. Carey Mulligan is also excellent as Daisy, giving what I call a 'bambi' type performance complete with beautifully innocent doe eyes. She is let down by the direction/narrative, wherever you want to lay the blame, which doesn't do enough to make you understand the passion of Gatsby for the girl, especially given the choices she ultimately makes. Tobey Maguire is suited to the role of Carraway, though his key role in the film as narrator, really limited my enjoyment. The guy always seems to come off so square, disapproving and lame.

I enjoyed The Great Gatsby but I'm sure it won't suit all tastes.
moonman1994May 14, 2013
Absolutely a beautifully shot movie. Each frame of the film looks almost like a painting. This film is drenched with color and has brilliant filming The largest problems in this film is that it features a soundtrack that is contemporary musicAbsolutely a beautifully shot movie. Each frame of the film looks almost like a painting. This film is drenched with color and has brilliant filming The largest problems in this film is that it features a soundtrack that is contemporary music mixed with music that is more to the time period of the film. Surprisingly the contemporary music works in most instances however there is one or two times where the much more modern contemporary music seems out of place. The other major flaw is that so much time was spent in this movie on it's stylistic looks which as i said earlier were flawless but so much time and effort was spent on these that it seems to have taken away from the character development side of the film. While there are many scenes that are pretty I wish they would have sacrificed some of those to develop characters other than Gatsby and Carraway. Expand
SpangleDec 18, 2013
Beautiful, extravagent, and as over the top as one would expect, Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby does a brilliant job capturing the beauty and wealth possessed by Gatsby. This film is pure eye candy, yet it does have some substance beneath itBeautiful, extravagent, and as over the top as one would expect, Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby does a brilliant job capturing the beauty and wealth possessed by Gatsby. This film is pure eye candy, yet it does have some substance beneath it and I think it did a swell job capturing the essence of the novel and telling the fateful tale of Jay Gatsby. In addition, the acting, led by Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Carey Mulligan, was great as well.

Only negatives in this film were the beginning, which was far too hectic and scattered, as well as the soundtrack. While I am a fan of hip hop, it seemed extraordinarily out of place in this film, which is supposed to be set in the 1920's. More period appropriate music should have chosen and ultimately, the soundtrack made it seem almost clumsy. However, the sets were beyond gorgeous and with beautiful shot after shot, this should win best production and best costume design on pure beauty alone. Just wow, the eye candy of each shot admittedly won my heart.
catcarloMay 21, 2013
E’ il poco prolifico australiano Baz Luhrmann a prendersi il rischio di scrivere (assieme a Craig Pearce) e a filmare la terza versione per il grande schermo dell’opera più conosciuta di Francis Scott Fitzgerald, romanzo che ha dato parecchioE’ il poco prolifico australiano Baz Luhrmann a prendersi il rischio di scrivere (assieme a Craig Pearce) e a filmare la terza versione per il grande schermo dell’opera più conosciuta di Francis Scott Fitzgerald, romanzo che ha dato parecchio filo da torcere ai propri adattamenti cinematografici. Per provare a vincerne la sfida, il regista dà alla storia una confezione molto modernista, disegnando degli anni Venti davvero ruggenti, in cui dominano colori netti e brillanti che ben si inseriscono in un décor a dir poco sovrabbondante: ad amplificarne l’effetto pensa poi una colonna sonora che unisce l’arrembante musica dell’età del charleston con inserti hip-hop uno dei produttori esecutivi Jay-Z che sottolineano ancor di più la frenesia del periodo (il che porta a infischiarsene maggiormente di altri anacronismi, tipo la ‘Rapsodia in blue’ che non era ancora stata scritta al momento in cui si svolge l’azione). Con alcuni passaggi coreografati quasi come un balletto la gestione delle finestre nella villa dei Buchanan, l’arredamento floreale della casa di Nick la prima parte viene raccontata come una grande fiaba, con i due castelli che si fronteggiano dalle parti opposte della baia, quello sfavillante del principe biondo e quello in cui vive prigioniera la bella di cui lui innamorato: il tutto raccontato dallo scudiero che serve da collegamento, almeno parziale, con una realtà che può essere molto lontana dalle feste organizzate da Gatsby. Quando la favola che il protagonista principale si era costruito si incrina, il contatto dei due mondi quello di chi ha troppo e quello di chi ha troppo poco apre le porte alla tragedia, rivelando sì la vera, controversa identità del personaggio, ma soprattutto la povertà umana e morale di una classe benestante a cui anche Daisy aderisce alla perfezione, ben lontana dall’immagine idealizzata da Gatsby. Purtroppo, però, proprio nel momento in cui il pathos della storia dovrebbe raggiungere il culmine, il film comincia a perdere qualche colpo, quasi che, venuta a mancare la sovrastruttura luccicante, la scrittura smarrisca il giusto ritmo in una serie di situazioni trascinate troppo per le lunghe. Anche nell’ultimo terzo di pellicola non mancano i momenti belli e le intuizioni efficaci come quando le lettere che giocano sullo schermo finiscono per formare le intense parole di Fitzgerald lette dalla voce narrante di Nick oppure nel richiamo, attraverso le ultime inquadrature della piscina, dell’incipit di ‘Viale del tramonto’ si finisce per sbirciare l’orologio qualche volta di troppo, con la conseguenza di raffreddare l’emotività. Fa capolino così il sospetto che, seppur in modo meno grave che altrove, la cura per la confezione abbia finito per essere prevalente rispetto a quella riservata al contenuto (il film distribuito anche in un superfluo 3D): a soffrirne il giudizio complessivo che, pur senza dubbio migliore rispetto agli adattamenti precedenti, finisce per essere inferiore all’aspettativa creata dalla somma delle parti., Fra queste ultime, spicca la prova di un cast davvero affiatato: DiCaprio, che già aveva lavorato con Luhrmann in ‘Romeo e Giulietta’, aggiunge un solido mattone alla costruzione della sua carriera vestendo alla meglio i panni di un altro personaggio più grande della vita, mentre il suo amico (anche nella realtà) Maguire dimostra ancora una volta di avere la faccia giusta per interpretare chi si trova a osservare con stupore quel che di inatteso gli capita. Se poi Carey Mulligan disegna una Daisy dolce e indecifrabile (ma che meraviglia erano mai i tagli a caschetto?), in caso di scelta obbligata del migliore la preferenza cadrebbe forse su Joel Edgerton alle prese con lo scomodo ruolo di suo marito Tom. Azzeccati anche i ruoli di contorno Jason Clarke fa ancora una volta il ruvido fra i quali spunta, in una particina monobattuta da guidatore di taxi, Nick Tate: per i maniaci (come me) l’indimenticato pilota di Aquile in ‘Spazio 1999’. Expand
Edster8000May 27, 2013
A classic Baz Luhrmann spectacle, if a slightly vacuous one. Perhaps more a film of a 'Great Gatsby' fairy tale than the novel, struggling through slightly trippy 3D and an admittedly intelligent parallelism with between 20's and contemporaryA classic Baz Luhrmann spectacle, if a slightly vacuous one. Perhaps more a film of a 'Great Gatsby' fairy tale than the novel, struggling through slightly trippy 3D and an admittedly intelligent parallelism with between 20's and contemporary culture. It omitted multiple areas of symbolism, the most exasperating of which being the infantile interpretation of Gatsby's love for Daisy, avoiding the true messages of delusion and futile aspiration. This could be tolerated if the dialogue wasn't selected with such a bias as to ignore other allegories and messages. This being said, Lurhrmann's interpretation, however devoid of substance, was perfectly carried out by an ever-charming DiCaprio, with a surprisingly intimate performance by still-faced Elizabeth Debicki. But this saw itself ever overshadowed by crude hyperbole regarding the Valley of Ashes, all exacerbated a simplified representation of Daisy. A well directed piece of art, masking a high school interpretation of the novel. Expand
foxgroveMay 29, 2013
With any Baz Luhrmann film you expect high camp anachronistic pyrotechnics, but whereas Moulin Rouge worked extremely well, Gatsby doesn't. The main problem is that it's setting and story is less appropriate for this over the top kind ofWith any Baz Luhrmann film you expect high camp anachronistic pyrotechnics, but whereas Moulin Rouge worked extremely well, Gatsby doesn't. The main problem is that it's setting and story is less appropriate for this over the top kind of approach. Moulin Rouge was set in a musical revue nightclub and therefore all the outrageous antics could be more readily embraced. The first half feels like Luhrmann wanted to make a musical and was taken with the ides of wild parties, decadence and lavish costumes only to discover halfway through that he had a story to finish telling. In fact it's only when Gatsby turns to 'straight' drama that it works at all. Generally it's a visually stunning mess, although even here everyone and every thing is so perfectly positioned and placed that the artifice in scene after scene wins the day. Performances are unexceptional although DiCaprio acquits himself well. There is less to be said for Tobey Maguire. His performance as neighbour and story narrator Nick Carraway, is bland and borders on the boring. The writing is trite and often undermines the visual style. For all the criticisms that have been levelled at the 1974 Redford/Farrow film, it must be said that the writing, acting and screenplay were all superior to this frenetic self indulgence. On the plus side the main musical theme is just beautiful. Expand
mds03Jun 4, 2013
Before I saw this movie, I had heard it was just mediocre. But who ever thinks that is dead wrong. This is well above mediocre. It's fresh, interesting, entertaining, well directed, well acted, and it's got style. One of the biggestBefore I saw this movie, I had heard it was just mediocre. But who ever thinks that is dead wrong. This is well above mediocre. It's fresh, interesting, entertaining, well directed, well acted, and it's got style. One of the biggest complaints from critics was the Jay Z rap. The Jay Z rap turned out to be awesome and it goes well with the movie. Leonardo DiCaprio is perfect as J. Gatsby but everyone in this movie had a great performance. Expand
osuwkumanMay 12, 2013
You never know what you're going to get when a movie is hyped to the point of seeing some reference to it at every turn. Gatsby was a bit like that for me. And sometimes, the hype meets the HIGH expectations and sometimes it falls way short.You never know what you're going to get when a movie is hyped to the point of seeing some reference to it at every turn. Gatsby was a bit like that for me. And sometimes, the hype meets the HIGH expectations and sometimes it falls way short. I'd say Gatsby is somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed the movie, the story, and the characters, but there were a few sappy moments as well. I felt a bit torn between realism and fantasy and which one the director wanted me to be. Leonardo and Toby "made" the movie and without them, it could have been a yawner. The scenery, costumes, and makeup were EXCELLENT and who can argue the soundtrack that was pure genius to take today's music and spin it as 1920's. I left entertained and satisfied. Expand
Apotheosis34May 17, 2013
Wonderfully done, I think this film is being largely overlooked because of reviewers' inability to stay open minded.

The soundtrack gets the most flak, followed by the party scenes at Gatsby's luxurious mansion. I actually find that the largest annoyance, for myself, was the ghostly text appearing on-screen and the odd transitions between future and past, cutting in Tobey McGuire's head at odd points. It seems that the film backs into some dull film tropes that don't quite fit the rest of the film's wonderfully extravagant scenes.

How does a director envision a 1920's book that depicted the Roaring Twenties in the extravagant and wondrous fashion that those living then felt? It only seems right to use a similar music style to our culture. Therefore, rap and R&B styles moved in, and I think it fits the crazy and loud parties that they experienced. Many will disagree, but this is all about adapting the text to fit our modern lifestyle, and it is logical to use the musical style that serves the same purposes that jazz served to the Roaring Twenties.

The acting was a strong point in the film, one that I was not expecting. Carey Mulligan wowed as Daisy, nailing her flowery voice and childish personality. Joel Edgareton was powerful as the strong and old-money rich Tom Buchanan, capturing his burly personality. To wrap up the wonderful acting, Leo was as good as ever, the best fit for Gatsby that I could imagine at any time period; a classy man who is beautiful but has the dark side of himself, the selfish area that has created an image that can't be achieved.

I do believe that Nick Carroway was miscast, as I think that Tobey isn't the best fit. He did okay, however, as the starstruck boy.

Enjoying this film was not hard for me, as a younger individual who appreciates the music style in the first place. If one is strongly connected to the Jazz of the twenties and the story, it's important to approach the film with an open-mind, and appreciate the acting.
VandyPriceJun 7, 2013
Like almost every American who has been through high school I read The Great Gatsby and like most high schoolers likely didn't appreciate the novel that first time around. Though the more accurate word is probably that I didn't comprehend allLike almost every American who has been through high school I read The Great Gatsby and like most high schoolers likely didn't appreciate the novel that first time around. Though the more accurate word is probably that I didn't comprehend all of what it was trying to say I still have yet to re-visit the novel since my sophomore year, but as I sat down to experience the latest film adaptation of the novel by the often flamboyant and always stylish director Baz Luhrman the parts of the story that I vaguely recalled seemed to escape me completely and I was then able to completely embrace the extravagant world in which Luhrman and his team had created for the audience to dig into and become all the better acquainted with the specific time period, the social climate, and the characters that it is necessary to care about before we become entranced with their melodramatic lives. It is to be understood that through the glitz and the glamour of the roaring twenties that this is essentially what F. Scott Fitzgerald's great American novel was if not a high form of it wrapped in commentary for the societal issues of the changing culture during that time. Though it would be easy to dismiss the film as a case of style over substance I was completely on board from the very beginning as the caliber of the cast here was able to elevate what might have been an otherwise overlooked aspect of the production. The depth each actor brings to his or her character lend an emphasis to the themes Fitzgerald touched upon and they are only embellished by Luhrman's preference to have everything as big and excessive as possible. It is a film that entices by the fantasy of the world it exists in and it holds our attention by being consistently stylish and letting it's cast bring their A-game that in turn creates a combination that captures the essence of everything I expected and wanted this film to be.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
AVTRlover41Aug 30, 2013
This was a very decent movie. It was very well-made in my opinion. I thought that the first third was the best part, I loved the party scenes, they were so beautifully made.
McLaughlinViewsAug 22, 2013
The acting in 'The Great Gatsby' was incredible, Leonardo DiCaprio throws out of the park with this performance. DiCaprio slips into the role of Gatsby perfectly, he found all of the key qualities of the deep character of Gatsby. MaguireThe acting in 'The Great Gatsby' was incredible, Leonardo DiCaprio throws out of the park with this performance. DiCaprio slips into the role of Gatsby perfectly, he found all of the key qualities of the deep character of Gatsby. Maguire unlike most of his performance is no longer playing Tobey Maguire, he is a great narrator to the story, and I put that down to the direction from Baz Luhrmann.The rest of the cast were sublime the acting quality is incredibly high on this feature. Luhrmann is a great director, however despite his skill his vibrant colors do distract from the actual film, which is a down side, obviously. The writing of the film is good and I personally loved the way the narration is taken straight from the book as we see Maguire writing it.

The film in itself is very good and enjoyable, however the cinematography,editing and colors can be very distracting, because of this I've docked my score of the film
Joo_leneOct 27, 2013
The Great Gatsby Baz Luhrmann (May 2013)
The Great Gatsby Baz Luhrmann (May 2013)
Lavish and Extravagant! Director Baz Luhrmann’s 2013 adaptation of The Great Gatsby captured the over the top love story perfectly. Without wasting any time on intros or credits, Luhrmann jumps into the story line, which does not stick to the traditional sappy love story of happily ever after.
The film was set during the Prohibition-era of the 1920’s, a time where the rich became rich from corruption and greed. The film took place in Long Island between the East Egg and West Egg, through the Valley of Ashes to New York. The narrator, Nick Carraway finds himself caught in the life of money and secrets. Nick is lured into this wasteful life by his mysterious neighbor Gatsby. Jay Gatsby played by Leonardo DiCaprio, recreated himself to be a part of the new money. A man of many Gatsby lived in West egg, where he threw lavish excessive bashes at his extravagant mansion, in order to catch the eye of his lost love Daisy. Daisy who lived right across the bay in East Egg was played Carey Mulligan. I must say Mulligan embodied Daisy to the tee. Her flawless beauty and carelessness provokes faux innocence and yet she was still able to maintain control of her charter.
I cannot say I enjoyed every charter in this film. Nick Carraway who was played by Tobey Maguire, narrated the film from his asylum. I felt Nick was portrayed as to weak and naive for his new surroundings then he should have been. He became Gatsby’s lapdog and fell into the fabulously wealthy and corrupted lifestyle without any hesitation. Another issue I had throughout the film was we find Gatsby to change as he becomes closer to Daisy. He begins showing weakness and becomes pathetic in is attempt to win her love back. His inability to hold on to control of the situation and his fading façade, ultimately lead to Gatsby’s demise.
The visuals and soundtrack were charismatic and entrancing. Luhrmann was able to combine a modern feel with the old world style. The sets throughout the film where grand, the homes were lavish and in all had an impressively unreal feel. The West Egg of new money was shiny and glamorous, while across the bay in East Egg the old money was classic and traditional. In between Long Island and New York sat the Valley of Ashes where Lurhmann did a good job at depicting the dirty and grimy side of life. I enjoyed watching the party scenes that took place at the Gatsby mansion. The high energy, bold colors and lively music made you jealous that you were not at that party. Yes, there were a few awkward camera angels which if removed would make the film easier to watch. For example during the party scenes the camera moved from one scene to the next rapidly and at a different angle, making it tough to follow and concentrate on. But overall Luhrmann wanted to capture the dazzle and epic events that took place, which I feel he portrayed nicely.
The sound track for the film included Jay-Z along with a star studded list of musicians. The music incorporated modern hip-hop with the jazz age trumpet and piano. Many will disagree, but I feel the soundtrack matched the film perfectly. I think the addition of the new aged jazz and hip-hop music added a fresh feeling and keyed in on a modern roaring 20’s. Also it would have left the audience feeling confused if Luhrmann combined this fast paced and glamorous film with old time blues and ragtime music.
To say the least, the film is horribly underrated because many compare Luhrmann’s adaptation of The Great Gatsby to the 1949 and 1974 versions of the film. Others also crisis Luhrmann’s for straying away from the original plot in the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald. However I feel Luhrmann’s modern twist on the old tale created a film incomparable to the previous versions. Its grandness and over dramatic scene with the combination of outlandish parties, burst violence, and tragic romance made the film thoroughly enjoyable to watch.
-Jolene
xolveNov 12, 2014
First half impressions:
First half impressions:
Buhrman applies the same meandering, gen-next pandering schizophrenic approach to ruining a classic as he did to Shakespeare, by way of "modernising it" ie. destroying the intent, feel and meaning of the original work.
At least the orchestral soundtrack is nicely worked.
I would've preferred to see something with the same production values but retaining the pace and intelligence of the book. Sadly, nothing is available in film form. This is the best we can get. Unfortunate, sad, and a devastating commentary on the expected intelligence of the movie-going populace in this day and age. Making the visuals match the style of the times while altering the musical and video-editing epoch to such a high degree gave a jaded, undereducated feeling to the entire ensemble. The acting is good, toby mcguire does his thing, leonardo dicaprio does his thing, but in Burhman's films, actors are little more than props in a visual story, his effervescent sherbet fizz version of a film.

Second half impressions:
By the second half Buhrman slows the pace down and it approaches being a normal, contemporary film and a good depiction of the novel. It is unfortunate that he felt the need to hook the audience in with what they expected of him from previous films in the first half. It shows a lack of faith in the audience. More space is given to the actors to actually act in the second half, and the editing slows down long enough to show actual story rather than filigree. The music becomes more appropriate while remaining touches of contemporary work remain. I'm glad he actually managed to show some emotion in this half of the film. The characters develop some depth and become human. I'm happy I watched this half with exception to the two moments of stylised violence that felt emotionally out-of-place with the resonance of the portrayed situation.
stakoMar 16, 2014
I was interested why Leo didn't get an Oscar, so I went to watch this movie. In short - now I know why.
This movie follows the book plot pretty closely, and just to get it out of the way right now - the book is much more fun. It's very nicely writted and I do recommend it. Especially over the movie.
Some of the reviewers say the actors are a perfect cast - I dissagree. I believe that the women cast in this movie are perfect casts, however every man that isn't Joel Edgerton was a terrible choice. I felt Joel Edgerton had the greatest idea of what his character could be with his own capabilities, if that makes any sense to you. However DiCaprio was the worst choice for Gatsby in this movie, not because Gatsby isn't his type of role - on the contrary, it is, but director Baz Luhrmann was going in a very different direction.
I blame Baz Luhrmann for the fall of this movie. At times the movie does look amazing with loads of atmosphere that I couldn't help but be inspired of. Anything that wasn't 3D or character-related, Baz Luhrmann did direct nicely. However in my opinion he regarded the audience as a bunch of retards and that is why the cast fails. Let me elaborate: he wanted to hint some things at the beggining of the movie, but he does it quite poorly and it looks stupid, and then after the secret is out he continues to hint at it and it becomes a hinderance the characters can't carry. Wow, that's spoiler free for you.
Also the movie has some really weird 3D sequences that don't really fit, they are very cheaply done and look very outdated, like a lot of things in this movie. But while some things are outdated, others - like the music, tends to go into a 80s Dubstep rage and it really doesn't fit.
I must quote Jeremy Jahns on this and say that this movie is loud and overexposed to the point of headache. I really felt overburdened by this movie and I enjoyed only a few scenes. After watching it it felt like my head is going to explode, and on the next day - I'd forgotten I had watched this movie.
In conclusion to the review - this is an overhyped OK movie that is hindered by it's direction. In conclusion to my research: This is why Leo didn't get and Oscar and for good reason. Though I'm sorry for him, he did cap himself out a bit this year.
I do recommend this movie if you have nothing better to do, it is consuming and fun to watch. Just don't have any expectations... Ol' Spo't
FilmVirtueMar 28, 2015
It is a more faithful film than the previous remake of The Great Gatsby and thus is more watchable, but this version is seem more interested in it's special effects rather than a full focused story.
AaronDWassermanJun 26, 2015
A pretty solid adaption of the classic book. Dicaprio and Maguire give their all with this film and totally capture the characters right off the page. There are alot of problems with the editing and script however.
A7sus4May 11, 2013
I wasn't sure what to expect, but my expectations were relatively high. They were high however for Luhrmann's "thing" and here he frankly walks a pretty straight and narrow. The movie is a solid "good" movie, wonderful costumes,I wasn't sure what to expect, but my expectations were relatively high. They were high however for Luhrmann's "thing" and here he frankly walks a pretty straight and narrow. The movie is a solid "good" movie, wonderful costumes, acting/casting... but it never really took off the way I imagined the director would make it. Expand
adhamhanyNov 14, 2013
This is a very mixed movie.

This is a very mixed movie.

On one hand, the performances are great, with the exception of Tobey Maguire who got tiresome after a while, especially in the narrating scenes. The art direction is fantastic. It really captures the decadence and excess of that decade. The modern music soundtrack is a hit and miss.

On the other hand, the film just felt all over the place. The editing is very fast. While that's a good thing in the party scenes (which were my favorite), it wasn't in the intimate ones, where you need to slow down and give room for the characters to breathe in.

There lies the movie's ultimate problem: it successfully portrayed the age in which the story takes in, but not the story and characters themselves.
beingryanjudeSep 2, 2014
The critics truly were too harsh with this gem--it is always difficult to adapt such a beautiful novel as this, but Baz Luhrmann has created such a stunning interpretation.
geedupJul 21, 2013
Some books should not be made into films. I have always believed The Great Gatsby is one of them. But, this film does a good job making a modern day adaptation of it. If you know the book, you have to stretch your mind a bit to envision theSome books should not be made into films. I have always believed The Great Gatsby is one of them. But, this film does a good job making a modern day adaptation of it. If you know the book, you have to stretch your mind a bit to envision the characters. I thought Leo as Gatsby was a good casting move as he is solid. And although I am not a fan of Tobey he does a good job as Carraway as well. But, if you like the movie, read the book. Expand
CloppersMay 18, 2013
The scenery is beautiful, but Maguire becomes annoying fast. The movie jumps around between scenes with no real transitions. Very difficult to stay interested.
analogkid280May 19, 2013
This movie has me so torn. Some things I just loved about this story. Other things really distracted and annoyed me. Overall a good film. I loved the scenery. The scenes of them in the city with the contrast turned up on the color made meThis movie has me so torn. Some things I just loved about this story. Other things really distracted and annoyed me. Overall a good film. I loved the scenery. The scenes of them in the city with the contrast turned up on the color made me feel like I was watching a 60 year old movie in a good way. On the other hand the Beyonce and other Hip-Hop songs were well not well contrived. Good the way the city is set up with the labor class supporting the upper class was done in an almost cartoonish way that was very beautiful. The acting was great and the actress playing Daisy steals every scene she is in. The omissions from the original story Bad. Overall a good pretty looking movie that you will forget about in a few weeks. Expand
Brad_May 17, 2013
The Great Gatsby is a beautiful novel and while adapted to a film, it became visually beautiful. However, for some mystical reason the visual did not coincide well with the plot or the narrative. I was hearing the story from the narrator asThe Great Gatsby is a beautiful novel and while adapted to a film, it became visually beautiful. However, for some mystical reason the visual did not coincide well with the plot or the narrative. I was hearing the story from the narrator as oppose to seeing it. Close to the end I decided to shut my eyes and hear the story because it was the visuals were frankly redundant although spectacular. The fact that Jay Z executive produced this film is very obvious from when you hear Jay Z's music like you're at his concerts, it got too repetitive for me regardless of the quality of the actual music. Overall, Great Gatsby was unable to give us a full experience without one sense blinding the other. Expand
Compi24May 11, 2013
It's first act is certainly aimless and unbearably frantic, but the rest of "The Great Gatsby" endures as an emotionally involving and thematically thought-provoking piece.
Patrick94Feb 20, 2016
Not that great if you ask me. The final 20-30 minutes make up for the rest of the movie though. Which comprises of 1 and a half hours of over the top scenes that have zero substance and left me bored out of my mind.
BrianMcCriticAug 17, 2013
This is a film that takes a while to get into the story although the visuals are constant like all of Baz Lurhmann's work. I do wish there was more character development and the film was a little shorter, but overall a solid effort. B
CtheTavMay 19, 2013
Who is Gatsby? That's what Nick Caraway the films narrator tries to tell us over the course of this film. The film leans heavily on the source material with word for word translation from book to screen, which was fine for the most part butWho is Gatsby? That's what Nick Caraway the films narrator tries to tell us over the course of this film. The film leans heavily on the source material with word for word translation from book to screen, which was fine for the most part but the delivery of some lines felt strange. The acting throughout is pretty decent by all involved. The visuals as at times are stunning especially with the use of the 3d effects;though sometimes I felt it could have been used more, though at times it becomes clear that actors are stood in front of a green screen. The modern music was a nice touch making the setting feel more relevant to a modern audience. Again however it felt underused. I found the story was interesting and yet I couldn't quite see the underlying meanings of the story, so perhaps a prior knowledge of the story would be beneficial to viewing the film.
Rating 6 out of 10
All the pieces of the puzzle are there however for me they just don't fit properly.
EwanDaveyKeefeMay 28, 2013
I must first state that the book is worth a read and delves deeper into the films themes, it is also simply a fantastic book.
The film plays heavily upon the romance side of the story losing some of the other themes, that being said it is a bad thing, cinematic-ally it gives the audience a focus point and they are not lost within the subtext. It also blends modern music brilliantly within the film. The acting from most of the cast was triple AAA performances. Brilliant set pieces yet with an apparent reliance of CGI in some scenes, makes some of it feel visually fake.

What i felt truly let down the film was the pacing and poor editing, with some bad camera work which ruined a few key night scenes, something you wouldn't expect from Luhrmann. The car sequence in which Nick and Gatsby are going to the barbers, oozed lack luster editing work in which it is so apparent the dialogue was edited over, i thought the projectionist had messed up.

Overall though the film is a simulating experience with a brilliant cast and a good return of Toby Maguire. Its a great discussion piece between people commenting on Gatsby's motives and their views.
e9tMay 16, 2013
물랑루즈2를
MikeBiermanMay 16, 2013
Visually striking, but a bit slow, and too long. The story did seem to lack depth and felt hollow. The use of modern rap and other asynchronous music in the soundtrack was noticeably off-putting, inappropriate, and killed suspension ofVisually striking, but a bit slow, and too long. The story did seem to lack depth and felt hollow. The use of modern rap and other asynchronous music in the soundtrack was noticeably off-putting, inappropriate, and killed suspension of disbelief. Better than the earlier versions, but still failed to have significant depth. All glitter and flash makes Gatsby a dull boy. Expand
ceefrostyJun 5, 2013
This movie is certainly fantastical, but there are a few things that throw it off course. First, I loved the way Baz Luhrmann portrayed the twenties, but I wanted the generational music to go with it. Who cares if it's Jay-Z? (Everybody). IThis movie is certainly fantastical, but there are a few things that throw it off course. First, I loved the way Baz Luhrmann portrayed the twenties, but I wanted the generational music to go with it. Who cares if it's Jay-Z? (Everybody). I wanted some jazz to finalize the theatricality of the cinematography! Also, this is Luhrmann's attempt at getting some oscar recognition, which he won't get. The film simply doesn't hold together like an oscar contender. Having said that, the movie is worth checking out. #seeit Expand
BIG-DongJun 21, 2013
Though the movie capture the extravagant parties and the fast-paced lifestyle of the Roaring Twenties, it ultimately falters when trying to touch on the book's symbolism. The conflict when it arrived felt rushed, and the resolution evenThough the movie capture the extravagant parties and the fast-paced lifestyle of the Roaring Twenties, it ultimately falters when trying to touch on the book's symbolism. The conflict when it arrived felt rushed, and the resolution even sloppier. Some scenes excel in portraying the love and obsession Gatsby had, but when the movie ended, there was a feeling that there should've been more. The casting of Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway, the unreliable, sometimes sarcastic narrator, did not help the movie's cause either. Although this is the best book adaptation, there is still much sought after. Expand
KayakMar 3, 2014
Luhrmann's attempt to modernise the story does come across overall as rather stilted. I can see how the purists would be annoyed at the lack of subtlety and how certain themes and characters are portrayed. As a cinematic piece however, theLuhrmann's attempt to modernise the story does come across overall as rather stilted. I can see how the purists would be annoyed at the lack of subtlety and how certain themes and characters are portrayed. As a cinematic piece however, the visuals, with some great editing in scenes, and certain performances hold this film together. Expand
TisonJul 7, 2014
As I seen The Great Gatsby movie at my school, I find it pretty good. Though the only problem with this movie is the music. You see, the music wasn't fit in right. It was too modern. Especially with Jay-Z as the music producer. If he weren'tAs I seen The Great Gatsby movie at my school, I find it pretty good. Though the only problem with this movie is the music. You see, the music wasn't fit in right. It was too modern. Especially with Jay-Z as the music producer. If he weren't producing rap music much, I would loved the movie even more. So go check it out if you hadn't seen it. It's a pretty good movie. Expand
batsAug 29, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never had read the book but because of Dicaprio and Decki's birthday, I thought of giving this movie a try. But to my dismay, there was no character development at all. I mean no matter how hard did Maguire tried to elevate Dicaprio's status, it all remained flat and served no purpose. Even the writers didn't cared for showing Mulligan displaying any regret after DiCaprio's death. Where was the greatness in Gatsby? He could have run an orphanage in
the later half of the movie to show that: a) the movie and the book differ in each other. b) how really the movie ends in a satisfying note and surprise the audience that Gatsby was not materialistic after all.

The only positive part was the soundtrack and DiCaprio's romance in the cruise boat with Mulligan.
tropicAcesMay 11, 2013
The set pieces are great. Exactly what I imagined when I read the book. The acting is pretty solid. But the overuse of CGI (on things as simple as rain on a dock) and heavy music take away from the movie. I don't hate the film, but I didn'tThe set pieces are great. Exactly what I imagined when I read the book. The acting is pretty solid. But the overuse of CGI (on things as simple as rain on a dock) and heavy music take away from the movie. I don't hate the film, but I didn't like it either. I literally nothing this movie. Expand
DollisJun 2, 2013
This movie is the sama as Romeo Juliet and Moulin Rouge (Spoilers) come on in The Great Gatsby he die's too ,we see Leonardo DiCaprio ,die's in lot's of movies.
Nesbitt10Aug 24, 2013
The movie's overblown style (CG, 3D, and Jay-Z), chokes the very life out of any substance the story may hold. There's always something to distract the eye, but it becomes increasingly annoying and persistently rings hollow. There is aThe movie's overblown style (CG, 3D, and Jay-Z), chokes the very life out of any substance the story may hold. There's always something to distract the eye, but it becomes increasingly annoying and persistently rings hollow. There is a mystique about F. Scott Fitzgerald’s "The Great Gatsby" that has proved unattainable to filmmakers. Four previous attempts have fallen short of capturing the book's projections of an America succumbing to the allure of money. Chalk this up as the fifth. Expand
TheWalrus2000May 19, 2013
The new Gatsby tries to center itself on visual masterpiece, costume design, and other technical categories that it forgets to spend time on acting, direction, and greatness making this classic plot go uneven and present possibly the worstThe new Gatsby tries to center itself on visual masterpiece, costume design, and other technical categories that it forgets to spend time on acting, direction, and greatness making this classic plot go uneven and present possibly the worst performance of Tobey McGuire fairly good career. Expand
JoyTheWizardJun 12, 2013
Just like the book, the movie is slow in the beginning. However, it gradually picks up its pace and moves forward. I don't think this is how I imagined the book when I read it. I really do think Toby Maguire is miscast. Also, the movie justJust like the book, the movie is slow in the beginning. However, it gradually picks up its pace and moves forward. I don't think this is how I imagined the book when I read it. I really do think Toby Maguire is miscast. Also, the movie just didn't feel like the book (I don't know how to say this). Overall, it was an okay movie. Expand
diego9901Oct 20, 2013
la película avanza con paso firme en los primeros veinte minutos pero cuando llega el momento en que uno de verdad se da cuenta cual es la trama central de la pelicula uno como espectador pierde toda esperanza que la pelicula se vuelva masla película avanza con paso firme en los primeros veinte minutos pero cuando llega el momento en que uno de verdad se da cuenta cual es la trama central de la pelicula uno como espectador pierde toda esperanza que la pelicula se vuelva mas interesante Expand
TrilobiteGJul 4, 2015
Disappointing for Di Caprio as he is such a talented actor. I will begin by saying this film is very well shot and well lit, the party scenes were kind of interesting as well as a organised and 'modern infused' soundtrack. However, there wereDisappointing for Di Caprio as he is such a talented actor. I will begin by saying this film is very well shot and well lit, the party scenes were kind of interesting as well as a organised and 'modern infused' soundtrack. However, there were many negatives that I have to discuss. Daisy, was the worst kind of person, I won't spoil the ending but I must say that it ruined the entire film for me. This is so much fuss over one girl..I know the whole aspect over 'Daisy wants her daughter to be a fool because she needs a man' but it clings to it like flies to honey. The highlight of this 2 hour drive around New York with some complaining was Toby Maguire. The entire film he was a third wheel to all the **** going on and almost seemed to be the one thinking 'uh....are you serious?'. A very disappointing movie for me. Expand
Mr_MuumiJul 14, 2013
The Great Gatsby is romantic comedy drama taking place in 1920's New York during prohibition. Following footpaths of Moulin Rouge, it is stacked with big-name actors, hip music and capturing visuals. If leaving out vibrant party scenes, coolThe Great Gatsby is romantic comedy drama taking place in 1920's New York during prohibition. Following footpaths of Moulin Rouge, it is stacked with big-name actors, hip music and capturing visuals. If leaving out vibrant party scenes, cool soundtrack and sure-fire casting there is really much to The Great Gatsby. Expand
bm2759Jun 5, 2013
Baz Luhrmann's films each have a distinct visual and aural quality to them. We are witness to vibrant colours, sweeping camera movements, sudden zooming in, and mystery which is supporting by a suitable soundtrack. These features translateBaz Luhrmann's films each have a distinct visual and aural quality to them. We are witness to vibrant colours, sweeping camera movements, sudden zooming in, and mystery which is supporting by a suitable soundtrack. These features translate well into the 1920's setting to transport the viewer into a bygone era. However despite all these positives even they cannot make a really long, slow and dull story any more watchable.

You may argue with me that I don't understand the story. I admit I haven't read the book and went into this completely unaware of what will occur; from what I've read this film is the closest to translate the book into a film correctly. That being said my impression of the metaphors and underlying meanings is a satire of the 1920's; i.e. too much drinking and partying, people talk rubbish, the wealthy have more money than sense, you can't recapture the past, parties are a ruse, and not a lot of meaningful activities occurred (this is what I left the cinema thinking about). That being said I didn't enjoy the story or the characters and was never convinced really liked, cared for or loved each other (which I understood as an intention of the author). Therefore if I understand the story correct then this is one of the most overrated stories (and novels) I’ve ever encountered. Why is it so memorable?

Praise must be given to the use of modern music instead of jazz as it is a clever juxtaposition. Most of us don't enjoy jazz music like those in the film do; we enjoy modern music mostly and its use bridges the gap between us. Therefore we understand how they feel and the parties which ensue.
All actors involved were convincing in their roles but no-one here stood out. One thing I did notice was Nick Carraway mentioned several times that Gatsby was the most hopeful person he’d met. We never really saw his hope because he was both cool and calm, scared, worried or lashing out. This is either a failure of the script or a translation of the author’s intentions.

I applaud those involved for at least making this film watchable for the visual and aural aspects. This almost makes up for a long, slow and dull story.
franissavioMay 18, 2013
The movie was long, tedious and Jay-Z's music in 1912. The actors have done their respective roles well but the story was weak. I don't understand "what is this love about?"
TylerDsCreationMay 13, 2013
The Great Gatsby is known as one of the greatest pieces of literature ever to be written. It holds a special place in many people's hearts and that goes without needing an explanation. I have read the book, I loved the book, and if youThe Great Gatsby is known as one of the greatest pieces of literature ever to be written. It holds a special place in many people's hearts and that goes without needing an explanation. I have read the book, I loved the book, and if you haven't read the book, see this movie.

I think that this movie is very hard to keep on a separate scale as the book. I mostly try to view movie adaptations as a separate piece than the book because I know it will never live up, but this one made that very hard because this was the book. This movie was a straight up copy of the book and that is one of the reasons I disliked it. It literally takes exact quotes from the book and adds them to the film, actually almost all the dialogue are quotes from the book. If you have ever had to do a book report on a book you really didn't want to read, you would have thought to just watch the movie, right? Most of the time this doesn't work because of the filmmakers creativity making the story a bit different to fit modern audiences. You could have easily just watched this movie for your high school book report and gotten an A.

I think there is merit in changing the story a bit and tweaking it to maybe suit a larger audience. But when you just take a book and than just simply make a movie out of it, it takes away the spirit of that source material. Although this movie sure was ambitious, it lacked the spirit of the book that made it so endearing.

Now, if you take that out of the picture, I can talk to you about why I didn't hate The Great Gatsby. This movie never did seize to entertain. It held my attention the entire time and the visuals were fantastic. I also was impressed by the acting. That is for sure the highlight of this movie and especially from Leo Dicaprio. This guy is fantastic! I think he is one of the best in the business right now and it shows. He can take any script and turn it into enough material to give an amazing performance. Put Blood Diamond and J. Edgar into account. Without his great performances, Blood Diamond would be at the very bottom of the barrel and J. Edgar would be long forgotten by now (although it kind of already is). Leonardo Dicaprio saves is by giving us the old, "old sport" we've come to know and love.

The Great Gatsby was all in all, okay. It had some great visual flare and it was bombastic, but it stuck too close to the source material and made it out to be somewhat of a chore at times. It also lost some of the zest that made the book so incredible. The tension in the scenes where Gatsby and Tom are really getting into each others skin just didn't have the same tension the book had. But with the great performances, it was enough to bring this movie back from the bottom and save this one from oblivion.
Prodigy2013Aug 15, 2013
Its great seeing my favorite literary character brought to the screen by a director I greatly admire, but I can’t say the sum is equal to the e parts. The Great Gatsby was a decent film, there was a lot that I liked and a lot that I just flatIts great seeing my favorite literary character brought to the screen by a director I greatly admire, but I can’t say the sum is equal to the e parts. The Great Gatsby was a decent film, there was a lot that I liked and a lot that I just flat out didn’t like; all which stems back to the way it was directed. Like all Baz Luhrmann directed films, Baz Luhrman is the star of the show. His whimsical, almost animated, way of telling a story shines bright in this picture; from those wild camera angles, startling soundtrack, hasty editing, and flamboyant set designs and not to mention the eccentric performances he extracts from his cast. While much of his flare worked well for those party sequences, I felt the film itself was far too off-the-wall for its own good. I am hardly convinced that this was the direction he should have taken, but at no point in time did it leave me bored. Do not fret too much, the visuals did not get in the way of the romantic aspects of the story; as it was delivered to the screen in a respectable manner. What I was really bothered by was the way some of the intricacies of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s exquisite story were taken away, in favor of style and visual intricacies. I believe this hindered the dark social commentary on the wealthy and the nature their moral detachment; which was quite disappointing. But, what can I say… such style! Catherine Martin’s fantastic costumes and sets were characters of their own. Clearly my view on the film and the way it was made is very much mixed; but one thing I appreciated without a doubt was Leonardo DiCaprio’s performance as Gatsby. Gatsby’s bold attempt to reach for that green light and regain his love, Daisy, is noble yet foolish. However, you can’t help but relate to this character, as it’s sometimes easier to hold on to hope than to let go completely. While not perfect, DiCaprio made a fine Gatsby in my opinion. Expand
StateOfFilmJun 1, 2013
To much party scenes, 3D traveling shots and not enough dialogue and dept in each character. And every time they seem to be getting to the core of some meaningful revelation, the voice over appears to take you far away from the scene and itsTo much party scenes, 3D traveling shots and not enough dialogue and dept in each character. And every time they seem to be getting to the core of some meaningful revelation, the voice over appears to take you far away from the scene and its climate. I wouldn't call it bad storytelling, but the entire movie seems to slip through your fingers and splash in a thousand colorful 3d-camera movements on to the ground. I had high expectations, and there were only a few moments in which this were matched. Expand
FranzHcriticJul 27, 2014
Glossy to where it's nauseating. A music track missing the era by at least eight decades. And bland performances from all with the exception of Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. It dragged on for at least thirty minutes. And the script isGlossy to where it's nauseating. A music track missing the era by at least eight decades. And bland performances from all with the exception of Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. It dragged on for at least thirty minutes. And the script is just as bland as the actors' acting. And too much color. Baz Luhrmann, you have s**t for talent. Expand
marthalorimerSep 11, 2013
The Great Gatsby is a novel that will forever exemplify the glamour and style that was the roaring twenties. The recent movie portrayed this culture in a way that almost made the viewers nostalgic of the time period. The costume and setThe Great Gatsby is a novel that will forever exemplify the glamour and style that was the roaring twenties. The recent movie portrayed this culture in a way that almost made the viewers nostalgic of the time period. The costume and set design were so over the top with the sparkles and classic flappers dresses the women looked spoiled in glamour; we as 21st century viewers sat in awe and jealousy of what seemed such carefree, lavish, and exciting time. Watching the movie ignorant to the novel allowed for people to view it in awe rather than disappointment.
From book to box office, The Great Gatsby will never be able to be properly portrayed into a film. The novel requires so much analysis of characters and subtleties, that a film simply can not require that much thought from viewers. Being able to think about what made Gatsby so rich and confident to outsiders, yet so self-conscious and sad in reality is something only readers can understand. Deciding how to feel about how easy going Nick was in dealing with Gatsby’s demands makes the reader second-guess any previous view of Gatsby. Accepting how willing Daisy was to betray her husband is a controversy that must be analyzed to accept. These are all things that a reader can take time to think about rather than the specific time that a movie runs on. The movie does not allow for the appropriate appreciation for the story that is The Great Gatsby.
MovieGuysAug 22, 2015
I've never been a fan of Baz Luhrmann's filmography, and his new Gatsby project is no exception. This is an amazing book, but his adaptation to the screen employs rap music and modern references here and there that do not fit the story atI've never been a fan of Baz Luhrmann's filmography, and his new Gatsby project is no exception. This is an amazing book, but his adaptation to the screen employs rap music and modern references here and there that do not fit the story at all. Now, I'm not a cinema purist when it comes to adding modern hints in period pieces, but the way Luhrmann does it is too obvious to benefit from subtlety. Also, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher should've switched their respective roles as Daisy and Myrtle: the casting choices there were not great. Each woman would've played the other character better, and the movie would've benefitted greatly. As for DiCaprio and Maguire, they played their characters on par with Fitzgerald's writing, and added some character nuances that only great actors can pull off, so bravo to them. If you're a fan of the story, it might be worthwhile to check out the movie, but don't set high expectations. Expand
LordpekeNov 1, 2013
I thought it was a mediocre movie. I'm not really disappointed but i must say it was not very authentic.
Music was very very poorly chosen, totally failed for me there. Story was not very twisty nor was there anything really special. Costumes were good. To much PC animation, but i've expected that. Wouldn't buy the DVD/BD watch it for free some day on TV or something.
MattG_123Jan 1, 2014
It's not the performances that are bad, it's the idea and story itself. It just isn't interesting, it's painfully boring, and Baz Luhrmann made it even worse, because after the first 20 minutes of lights and music, the rest is extremely boring.
homer4presidentMar 26, 2015
The drama is tense and the romance is believable, but die to Luhmann's chaotic direction, the heart of the material gets lost along the way. At the end of the day, The Great Gatsby, is far from a masterpiece in many aspects, but at least it'sThe drama is tense and the romance is believable, but die to Luhmann's chaotic direction, the heart of the material gets lost along the way. At the end of the day, The Great Gatsby, is far from a masterpiece in many aspects, but at least it's a faithful tribute to the novel its based upon, which I supposed is all a big Gatsby fan can as for at this point. Expand
MrMovieBuffMar 2, 2016
This isn't the first time that F. Scott Fitzgerald's acclaimed book from 1925 was adapted into feature length film. The novel was first adapted in 1926 as a silent film starring Warner Baxter and Lois Wilson, then again in 1949 with Alan LaddThis isn't the first time that F. Scott Fitzgerald's acclaimed book from 1925 was adapted into feature length film. The novel was first adapted in 1926 as a silent film starring Warner Baxter and Lois Wilson, then again in 1949 with Alan Ladd and Betty Field in the lead roles. Then, once again in 1974 starring Robert Redford and Mia Farrow. But this one, in 2013 had something to deliver...it had Baz Luhrmann in the director's chair, the famous director best known for his more modern take on "Romeo and Juliet" in 1996, and he directed the elaborate and eccentric musical that is 'Moulin Rouge' (2001).

Not only that, but it had the iconic Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role, from 'Romeo + Juliet' (1996) and 'Titanic' (1997), you'd think this is a match made in heaven. We could get a true adaptation of the widely acclaimed novel after all.

Not quite here. Baz Luhrmann's 'The Great Gatsby' is a visually lush and sweeping experience of a movie, one could get lost in all those colorful fireworks, and slow-motion water fountains. Alas, an experience to behold if you're looking for a romantic movie to watch with your date.

But behind all those great colors and eccentric parties lies almost nothing...this movie is lacking something very important and that is some further character development. The movie is told mostly in flashback as we meet a man named Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) who tells the story of when he met the iconic and eccentric, yet mysterious Jay Gatsby.

He met him at a party, it turns out the two only live next door to each other, but Gatsby wants Carraway to do him a favor. Carraway is the solution to getting Gatsby closer to his cousin, Daisy (Carey Mulligan) who appears to be married to another wealthy man named Tom Buchanan (Joel Edgerton). It seems that Gatsby and Daisy were once in love before, but he went away to war, and has been absent for five years leaving Daisy to wonder where he was, and ultimately lost hope.

She still has feelings for Gatsby, and he never gave up as he always hosted eccentric parties hoping that she would just turn up eventually...but nothing worked until Gatsby met Nick.

We don't meet DiCaprio as the title character for some 20 - 25 minutes of the film, this was an effective technique as it shows that this man, "The Great Jay Gastby" was a mystery... endless stories about him have been told countless times, and nobody else had met him... he was almost like a myth, a man with so much wealth, and so much life...it seemed too good to be true.

It goes without saying that Baz Luhrmann is the right directing choice for this story, he had the right visual look for this movie and it fits well to accommodate the story. But the story is lacking so much substance, so much so, I couldn't find myself caring for the characters enough, and instead I marvel at the visuals, the parties, the gathering of so many people, and the popping and fizzing of the champagne as they poured into those clear, shiny flute glasses.

I admired this movie, as it did have some emotional heft put into it, but I just couldn't love it. It's almost as if I was trying so hard to get invested and trying to love this movie, that this movie just pushes me further and further away...

The acting is also inspired, DiCaprio is the right man to be playing such an iconic, wealthy and heart-throbbing role like he has done in the past. But Carey Mulligan, a fine actress that she is, is almost too petite as Daisy...and sometimes bland. I ask myself, why is Gatsby so interested and so in love with Daisy, when she seems to blend in with the rest of the crowd? To me, she didn't stand out.

It isn't a failed effort, it's a rather remarkable one...the visuals were a gimmick for the sake of the 3D release which is unusual for a romantic drama genre. Your eyes will be in awe...but not your brain.
CreativitaJun 9, 2013
Despite a brilliantly vibrant cast, The Great Gatsby is merely an intoxicated image of 1920's extravagance and a poor interpretation of the classic we know and love.
RenzomaloJun 2, 2013
The Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care forThe Great Gatsby: Maybe it’s like caviar, an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire, but I didn’t care for “Gatsby.” I didn’t like the book in high school or college, I didn’t care for the re-read last month, and I didn’t much care for the movie. Daisy Buchannan was nicely cast (cute but perfectly shallow) but everyone else was a cardboard cutout, and the movie was overwrought: “Gatsby” didn’t need truckloads of CGI, and loading it up as they did made it seem like a comic book. It was pretty to look at but, seriously, when they stopped at Wilson’s Texaco station I was waiting for Batman to slowly settle in the background. There were some highlights though: Daisy and Nick dancing to the heavy downbeat of the Wurlitzer and the image collage of Gatsby and Daisy together, shot in sepia, like framed portraits from the 1920s. Other than that, fodder for the 3D generation. Two and a half stars from this old codger. Expand
reddave2Jun 11, 2013
Far too much style over too little substance, The Great Gatsby is a muddled mess of a film. Characters dont engage and the tone of the film never settles. Despite being set in 1920s, it never tries to be a period piece which surely defeatsFar too much style over too little substance, The Great Gatsby is a muddled mess of a film. Characters dont engage and the tone of the film never settles. Despite being set in 1920s, it never tries to be a period piece which surely defeats the purpose? Some people may like it but you could have easily set the film in the modern age (which would play well against the current financal backdrop) but with the style of the 20s.

I'll put the above down to my personal preference, but that doesnt excuse some of the other problems with the film. The acting is flat as hell with Dicaprio being the only one to emerge with any kind of display. Tobey McGuire is simply terrible, never getting across he's characters own descent. He is simply there to narrate. Mullegan has her moments but I dont find her a good fit for the role. As for the rest, I get the feeling they've been instructed to over act. Or at least I hope they have.

For a film which is so much in love with its own cleverness and style, its amazing how dull this really is. Over long and over produced, its certainly not a film I could recommend.
madamsMay 13, 2013
It is now apparent that F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel The Great Gatsby does not translate well to the big screen. The acting was perfectly fine but the story, as classic as it may be, can simply not be made into a decent major motion picture.
nothanksgivingMay 10, 2013
All of the ambiguity and thoughtfulness that is required to read 'The Great Gatsby' is thrown out of the window with characters' blatant explanations of symbols, ideas and character development.
holymoviecrapMay 13, 2013
too long by 45 minutes and slow, very slow. once again they focus on the mega parties instead of the characters, as a result the acting did not seem to be explore real human dimensions, two dimsional instead of really being fleshed out.too long by 45 minutes and slow, very slow. once again they focus on the mega parties instead of the characters, as a result the acting did not seem to be explore real human dimensions, two dimsional instead of really being fleshed out.

of course the green light is so important, but they show it so many times that it lost all impact.

what i did like was that Gatsby is just as corrupt and delusional as everyone else. of course that makes Nick's line at the end pretty stupid, "your worth more than all the rest put together".
ElucidateJul 6, 2013
Soul-less, overly extravagant, and adorned with nauseating rap music, this relatively poor interpretation of an all-time favourite American classic succeeds in disappointing any hopeful viewer.
willkulkaNov 30, 2013
A letdown to say the least. The first 20 minutes of the film is a rushed mess. The visuals and cinematography, however, are spectacular and keep the film afloat. It's just unfortunate that a movie should have to rely on it.
Apartment64Jul 5, 2014
I believe modernizing "The Great Gatsby" was a huge mistake, because precise period detail plays a very important role in Gatsby's story. Using modern hip-hop and R&B songs obviously won't give you a glimpse of the roaring 20s. Casting TobeyI believe modernizing "The Great Gatsby" was a huge mistake, because precise period detail plays a very important role in Gatsby's story. Using modern hip-hop and R&B songs obviously won't give you a glimpse of the roaring 20s. Casting Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway seems wrong as well; his character is supposed to be the one any viewer could identify with, (Because in the book he is the POV character) but "Peter Parker" obviously does not have the skills to do that.

All in all with less whining - The quality of "The Great Gatsby" is mixed to negative.
ArchonMagazineSep 20, 2014
A magnificent and beautiful film to watch, The Great Gatsby captures the opulence but little else.

I purposely did not reread the book prior to watching the movie, having last read it some ten years ago, wanting to give Baz Luhrmann as much leniency toward a successful interpretation as possible. Even still, I recalled dialogue and characters torn from the book and it sounded wrong. The storyline is simplified into a doomed and tragic love story when it is, in fact, more complex. I recall traveling with Nick Carraway to the parties, at first drunk by the wealth and extravagance. But, then, like Nick, disillusioned as the characters’ true faults become clearer as you are able to see past their lavish lifestyles, all the while feeling like an outsider due to the social divide. This growth is virtually nonexistent in the Baz Luhrmann invention.

Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan, captured the vulnerability and desperate desire for love without becoming some feeble caricature. Though I recall disliking Daisy because she was indecisive, self-absorbed and therefore almost seemed manipulatively aware of the trouble she centers. Mulligan is the only one who produces a fully thought out character; all other characters from F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel are shells. Joel Edgerton’s Tom Buchanan is an arrogant brute throwing his stature and prestige around, but there is little else. Tobey Maguire does a good job as a narrator but his Nick Carraway is half-formed; pliable and weak instead of easy-going and optimistic though slightly naïve. Jay Gatsby and Leonardo DiCaprio are mystifying, but not the ruthless man, startlingly, unwaveringly obsessive toward attaining what he wishes.

The sets and costumes are engrossing, intoxicating and wonderfully garish. The music is fun and modern yielding a transportive film. It is a great story, great film, but not the one F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote.

More reviews can be found at our website.
BHBarryMay 13, 2013
“The Great Gatsby” stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey maguire (he spells it that way), Jason Clark and Joel Edgerton in this remake of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of life and its extravagances in the mid ‘20’s. Unfortunately, not“The Great Gatsby” stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey maguire (he spells it that way), Jason Clark and Joel Edgerton in this remake of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of life and its extravagances in the mid ‘20’s. Unfortunately, not true to the flavor and depth of this great novel, Director and Co-writer Baz Luhrmann gives us a glitzy overdone film with no depth or intensity but, instead, the shallowness of a music video. First, a disclaimer. I am no fan of either Tobey maguire or of Mr. DiCaprio and with these precommitted feelings, it’s difficult to enjoy any vehicle either of them are in, let alone both. Mr. maguire whines his way through this overdone narrative and Mr. DiCaprio continues to look like a teenager trying to play an adult. If he uttered the phrase “old spoaht” one more time in the film, I would’ve thrown my 3D glasses at the screen. Speaking of that, this film has no dimension so the need to try to see it in 3D is useless. I at one point took off the glasses and could not honestly tell the difference. So visually and substantively, the film lacks so much except one thing…..time. This lifeless seemingly never ending film lasts for 2 and hours and screams for an editor’s splicing machine. The special effects and scenery, as costly as they may have been, seems to be the impetus for the movie’s length since it’s hard to put so much set money on the floor of the editing room. The old “how many times did I look at my watch” test proved accurate for I recall no less than 6. This Gatsy is neither ‘great’ nor ‘good’ and, at best, is mediocre. As bad as the 1974 version of the film with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow was, this is probably worse. I give the film a rating of 3.The viewers, F. Scott and those interested in good filmmaking deserve better. Expand
bobeckerMay 17, 2013
I have not read the book for this film but I am fairly certain it doesn't reference the Jay-Z and Beyonce songs playing in the background. Look, I get that this is how the director likes to do his thing, but I can't take it, complete garbageI have not read the book for this film but I am fairly certain it doesn't reference the Jay-Z and Beyonce songs playing in the background. Look, I get that this is how the director likes to do his thing, but I can't take it, complete garbage and it will look even worse in ten years when people hear the awful music and laugh it off. Expand
jgzegerNov 3, 2013
There is little of redeeming value in this flick. It made me nostalgic for the version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow and the critics weren't very kind to that one either.
Trev29Aug 31, 2013
Unfortunately, reducing one of the great novels to a shiny self-indulgent music video is the least of its problems. The narration was so annoying and never ending and the performances were bizarre. I could care less about the charactersUnfortunately, reducing one of the great novels to a shiny self-indulgent music video is the least of its problems. The narration was so annoying and never ending and the performances were bizarre. I could care less about the characters because not one of the them actually felt real. It was a very boring movie. There was obviously a great deal of effort put into this movie, but Luhrmann is more interested in what you see and hear rather than what you are supposed to think and feel. Expand
SquidcakeJun 27, 2013
The film swaps the tender poetry of the book for snappy, breezy gloss, and is further tarnishes the classic with the cartoony CGI settings.
And Baz's casting of Daisy, Gatsby's obsession: Not so Great.
MirandaMckinnonMay 13, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dear F. Scott Fitzgerald,
I sincerely apologize for the cruel and tasteless adaptation of The Great Gatsby Baz Luhrmann created. Mr. Luhrmann butchered this masterpiece into something your mother wouldnt be proud to put on the refrigerator. It all begins with the opening scene and only goes down from there.
Nick Carraway the only pure-hearted gentlemen in the entire book, our narrator, is seamlessly turned into a fraction of himself in the movie. He is created to be a man so torn up by the events he has encountered that the only way to cure him is to seek medical help. Spoiler alert the last line in the book “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.” is literally (well more figuratively) Nick Carraway telling us we must continue to move on with our lives! And if you think it can’t get any worse you are sadly mistaken.
As for the graphics and CGI they were so dreadfully awful that I was confused to if I was watching a movie about the 1920’s or a Jay-Z music video. The ridiculously cheesy slow motion moments (when myrtle is falling to her death and when we meet Gatsby for the first time) do nothing for helping the movies case as well. Mr. Luhrmann PIMPED out everything that he possibly could; from the girls to the cars everything was more than modern. Mr. Luhrmann took his fantasy of living the modern american dream and projectiled (not projected) it onto this classic. When the parties at Gatsby’s occur they are nothing but costume parties for people of this time and age. The houses in the movie are so incredibly ostentatious as well that they display the entire facade of the movie. They are so graphically enhanced this movie looks nothing like an actual motion picture but something of a cartoon. But at least the setting matches the characters.
The most heartbreaking part of the entire movie is that the characters -mostly female- are portrayed all wrong. Daisy is played to be weak and helpless and enough though at times she is, she is also an arrogant women caring more about her money and status than the people around her. Myrtle is a stickley women designed to be the perfect mistress, an equal to Daisy, but in the book she is a curvy women and nothing in the slightest bit Daisy. But I must admit there were some parts of the movie that weren’t as hard to swallow.
It is admirable that Mr. Luhrmann put the old college effort into creating a movie based on such a classic american novel. It was a good attempt using quotes from the book to help the audience members who have yet to read The Great Gatsby. But sadly the quotes were twisted and bent to match the vision Baz Luhrmann had in mind.
My suggestion stick to the book.
If you’re looking for a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio lying about his money and throwing big parties try The Wolf of Wall Street it’s much less cliche.
AmeliaCraveFeb 28, 2016
I was disappointed with the character roles in this movie. Luhrmann makes it seem like the men work to make money to support the women, and the women are happy to be the men's arm candy. The female characters are predominately dominated byI was disappointed with the character roles in this movie. Luhrmann makes it seem like the men work to make money to support the women, and the women are happy to be the men's arm candy. The female characters are predominately dominated by the male characters and both sides seem to be content with their roles. This was pathetic in my opinion. Expand
amboyJun 26, 2013
Baz Luhrmann turns everything he touches into Las Vegas. Fitzgerald's curtains billowing in the breeze become Salome's seven veils; Gatsby's expensive shirts are flung about like confetti. DiCaprio alone emerges with honor. Some of theBaz Luhrmann turns everything he touches into Las Vegas. Fitzgerald's curtains billowing in the breeze become Salome's seven veils; Gatsby's expensive shirts are flung about like confetti. DiCaprio alone emerges with honor. Some of the supporting players seem to have come from The Addams family (Jordan Baker) or Bollywood (Meyer Wolfsheim). There's a difference between expansive and crass--it's not heeded here. Rock bottom. Expand
MTPMay 26, 2013
Baz, it worked for Moulin Rouge a really great movie but once is enough, be creative that is what you get paid for otherwise you could just do Fast and Furious #7 #22. There is so much to the story but hokey photography, 3D effects and aBaz, it worked for Moulin Rouge a really great movie but once is enough, be creative that is what you get paid for otherwise you could just do Fast and Furious #7 #22. There is so much to the story but hokey photography, 3D effects and a lamed out screen play leaves one looking for the end. Once again DiCaprio shows his depth in this one still can’t act, never could doubtful that he ever will. DiCaprio is like so many other mono dimensional “actors” that are only able to play parts that don’t require them to act just play themselves in front of the camera. Tom Cruise, John Wayne and Ashton Kutcher just to name a few. One more thing; what is with the Rap music in a 1920’s film? If you like supporting crappy, ridiculous, unimaginative (remember this is just a Moulin Rouge feel rip-off) Hollywood movies and pretty boy actors, then please throw you money away. Expand
PunkmailSep 29, 2013
I've read the book and absolutely hated this movie. its just some over-polished, badly paced, and poorly acted piece of trash. i couldn't care less about the characters, they all felt so disconnected to the movie, they all felt sooo fake.I've read the book and absolutely hated this movie. its just some over-polished, badly paced, and poorly acted piece of trash. i couldn't care less about the characters, they all felt so disconnected to the movie, they all felt sooo fake. and what about those party scenes where everybody just spontaneously spazzes out to some "hip tuuunes" that did nothing but SUCK. all this combined spiraled this movie into an unbearable 2h c***fest Expand
ThomasSmithsonAug 4, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Film is such a gift by science and a chance to take the flat page and make it truly alive in sight and sound and mood, this movie reminds me as a child of my wonderment in seeing my first pop up picture book, and after a fleeting wonderment, just wanting to rip the image out to see if it does anything else.

Daisy is not worth Jay's efforts and pain - a failure in casting, portrayal, she's a non entity, she's not aloof, she's not animated, nor desirable in any way, we don't need to care about Daisy, but we need to see why Jay does love her, not a hint of why.

Leonardo offers the only window into his love for Daisy, the fear in his face when he stands at the open door drenched by the rain.

Nick, supposed to drive the story for us, and make us see inside Jay's soul....Tobey Maguire another epic miscast, the character of Nick needs to have a voice, and make us care and feel a loss when Jay dies, make us feel sad when no one attends his funeral, I just kept worrying about the autumn leaves getting in the pool and hoping someone would drain it before winter.

When someone has already done the hard work of writing a story for you....there is no excuse for screwing it up.

A fantastic failure at best
B1gboyMar 3, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is just awful! it just awful and awful movies don't need to be in here because it just awful you feel me? so yes I would agree that this movie is for the next gen but it awful. Expand
NikolayGMar 7, 2014
This film adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby, is about a man in the 1920s trying to win back the woman he loves. This version is a cartoon with real life actors - everything super brightly colored and sporting moreThis film adaption of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby, is about a man in the 1920s trying to win back the woman he loves. This version is a cartoon with real life actors - everything super brightly colored and sporting more special effects than a Star Wars movie, much of it very fake looking. Gatsby's home when shot from the exterior is so obviously computer generated it's shocking. There's plenty of blue screen (or green screen these days) that is about as obvious as can be, with the lighting on the actor standing in front of the green screen not matching the lighting in the scene projected behind him on the green screen. It might as well be a Godzilla movie from the 60s at those moments. You might wonder why they felt the need for so many effects. The camera whizzes around Long Island over and under elevated tracks in Manhattan, almost all of which (both Manhattan and Long Island) appear computer generated, so much like a computer game I felt like readying my controller to start controlling the main character. It's a miracle that amidst all this crazy visual jazz, that the story's basic outline (because that is all there is here; just a skeleton of the plot) doesn't get lost. That was a feat and for that I give it 1 star out of 10.

The movie does calm down in that last half hour and become closer to something normal visually, but by then I was tired of watching. Add to this the bizarre use of hip hop and other music not of the period (Jay-Z and Beyonce; that's Jay Z's ego ruining the movie, as he's a producer of this catastrophe) and you get the impression that this was made by an extremely insecure story teller who had no faith in his audience or in his abilities to capture their attention simply by telling story. Maybe he didn't have faith in his actors. Whatever the cause, the director or whoever called the shots, decided that rendering the story well wasn't enough without overstuffing the production with candy colored effects and noise ad nauseam. The result is that, instead of being drawn into the story, you are constantly pushed out by the weird over-the-top distractions. It's like watching a Shakespeare play while someone constantly lights of fireworks in front of the production. What an ordeal! You think it's innocent enough - just spending a couple hours watching a movie - but by the time it's over you feel like you've been in some kind of two hour accident or a small war. You feel damaged. I recommend instead the novel, which is quite beautifully written.
oliver1hAug 12, 2013
Horrible. The green-screen was overused and the story was reduced to cheap soap-opera with awful music. The acting is okay, but the characters are suffering from the writing too. Every character seems overacted and just like the whole movieHorrible. The green-screen was overused and the story was reduced to cheap soap-opera with awful music. The acting is okay, but the characters are suffering from the writing too. Every character seems overacted and just like the whole movie 'artificial'. Not worth watching... Expand
lismis7000Jun 5, 2013
This interpretation of the great Gatsby is neither great nor good. This is a bust, add this to the recent list of DiCaprio flops. the rap music and dizzying camera work made me sick. the great f. Scot Fitzgerald nevel is turned in toThis interpretation of the great Gatsby is neither great nor good. This is a bust, add this to the recent list of DiCaprio flops. the rap music and dizzying camera work made me sick. the great f. Scot Fitzgerald nevel is turned in to garbage. The only saving grace is Toby Maguire's supporting performance. Pleas, read the book, forget the movie. Expand
FirebalaSep 15, 2013
The film is an extended, almost annoying than the boring. Uneventful, low scenario. Anyone who does not wait to see more. I did not like. I do not recommend it!
SeniorMintsJan 2, 2014
F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is undeniably one if the greatest novels in American literature, and one of my personal favourites. I was thrilled to find out that the book was being adapted into big budget movie, and I thought thatF. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" is undeniably one if the greatest novels in American literature, and one of my personal favourites. I was thrilled to find out that the book was being adapted into big budget movie, and I thought that Casting Leo as Gatsby was brilliant.... I was so disappointed with the film. The acting was spot on, and the cinematography was impressive; however, the directing was horrible. Also, the most iconic moments in the book were cut short and reduced into a music video. What the hell was Baz thinking? I'll rate it a one for Leo and Carey Expand
NazguleroAug 30, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible. Simply awful. How anyone can endure this for more than 5 minutes is beyond me. Rap music in the twenties WTF The characters are all overacted to the point that none of them is the least bit intriguing or interesting. The dialogues are beyond dumb and stupid. There is no chemistry at all between the main character and the writer. Why would Gatsby show him around The writer is the most boring person on the face of the planet. None of the women are pretty or interesting either.
The question remains: why are these movies made Seems to me that anyone involved in the production was high on cocaine. I have no other explanation for coming up with a script and screenplay like this one...
ReviewCenterAug 31, 2013
This is one of the worst movies ever. The director should be arrested for this absolutely insulting adaption of The Great Gatsby. Never was I more convinced to just get up and leave the theater in the middle of the movie.
Mastabrad85Jul 27, 2013
Is it just me or was this the most boring Leo movie ever! No intense moments whatsoever. I really have nothing else to add except that it was way too long and I almost fell asleep in the movie theatre. And 3D is not worth it if there is justIs it just me or was this the most boring Leo movie ever! No intense moments whatsoever. I really have nothing else to add except that it was way too long and I almost fell asleep in the movie theatre. And 3D is not worth it if there is just going to be 3d snow an rain. Expand
chrisjayJun 6, 2013
what a great disappointment this movie was. a totally unrealistic and poorly directed movie i am a die hard Leonardo fan but this was the worst movie i have seen him in. my wife and i have watched nearly ten thousand movies together overwhat a great disappointment this movie was. a totally unrealistic and poorly directed movie i am a die hard Leonardo fan but this was the worst movie i have seen him in. my wife and i have watched nearly ten thousand movies together over the years. we have only ever walked out of three movies. the great Gatsby was the third.

the camera shot changes were so fast they hurt the eyes and the whole movie was a cross between a poor melodrama and a and a badly produced farce. after enduring one hour and ten minutes of over stimulation and a care less attitude from the actors, we decided to leave.

for a movie that promised so much, it delievered very little. even the great Leonardo DiCaprio seemed disinterested in his part. he particularly appeared reluctant to deliever his lines when the included the words old sport.
MovieMan12Aug 31, 2013
Disgraceful, distasteful and every other adjective that means appalling, and that still wouldn't be enough to describe this movie. Leo was flat out embarrassing. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
dougaussieJun 25, 2013
Here's my review: i am not going to see this even if it comes out on a $2 DVD sale at BigW. It reminds me of the movie Australia, overlong, boring and self indulgent, it assumes its own importance will draw me in. I haven't seen Australia either.
mybabymichaelNov 15, 2013
This is probably the most uninteresting movie. You shouldn't put newer music in a movie that's supposed to take place in 20's, the music threw everything off. Yeah the movie should only be partially like the book but since the book is aThis is probably the most uninteresting movie. You shouldn't put newer music in a movie that's supposed to take place in 20's, the music threw everything off. Yeah the movie should only be partially like the book but since the book is a really good classic you guys screwed everything up. Leonardo dicaprio is an amazing actor and is good in this movie but the rest of actors is just a no. Expand
jedwardsMar 17, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'd like to begin by calling The Great Gatsby one of the greatest novels I have ever read. It is beautifully written, very powerful and deep, and just all round ground.

This is the polar opposite; it is an insult to Fitzgerald, and an insult to cinema. It is awfully directed, contains lousy CGI, has rap and hip hop music as opposed to jazz and just completely misses the mark of the novel. It is a laughable love story as opposed to a tragedy rooted in the idealism and the lack of values of the roaring twenties. Fitzgerald created a deeply personal novel that explored the era, and Luhrman has defecated all over it.