The Guardian

7.8

1. BobbyB.
    Sep 30, 2006
    What a joke! Save your money and your time -- life is too short to waste on junk like this. This movie has been made 100 times before -- why the need to make it again?
  2. AndrewS.
    Jul 1, 2007
    What a horrendous movie! The critics were right when they said it was nothing special... The entire movie is a cliche piece of crap that tries way too hard to be epic and meaningful. The script is just laughable. The last twenty minutes were the best directed, but they were so boring and just full of action. Most people only like the film because of stupid action. It doesn't mean What a horrendous movie! The critics were right when they said it was nothing special... The entire movie is a cliche piece of crap that tries way too hard to be epic and meaningful. The script is just laughable. The last twenty minutes were the best directed, but they were so boring and just full of action. Most people only like the film because of stupid action. It doesn't mean anything. Bad, bad, bad movie. Collapse
  3. Nate
    Oct 1, 2006
    I would have thought more of it if it wasn't so bloody long. There were about 5 times where I was sure it was over, only to have another unnecessary scene tacked on. Looking back, I can think of about 30-45 minutes that could have been hacked off to tighten up the film. Entire scenes and side-stories could have been dropped.
  4. MartinW.
    Apr 1, 2007
    What an embarrassing movie. Scripts must be few and far between. I can understand Ashton Kutcher having to accept a part in a predictable movie such as this, because lets face it, he's really B grade. But, I thought Kevin Costner may have been able to pass. Has his career stooped to this? Flag waving, chest beating, hi five hand slapping crap!
  5. Nameandaddresswithheld
    Apr 3, 2007
    This had to be the worst movie ever! About some stupid loser who joins the coast gaurd. That falls in love with a ugly lady who is a drunk. It was such a crappy movie that Icried. I highly doubt that the true coast gaurds drink like pigs on there free time!
  6. AMovieCritic
    Feb 24, 2007
    It hurts me to do this because I really like Andrew Davis's directing and really think he's an underrated director. I really think Ashton Kutcher and Kevin Kostner deliver great performances and the music here is pretty cool. However, the simple fact is that this movie's just...boring. It's horribly boring. It's nothing, NOTHING, but a series of training sequences It hurts me to do this because I really like Andrew Davis's directing and really think he's an underrated director. I really think Ashton Kutcher and Kevin Kostner deliver great performances and the music here is pretty cool. However, the simple fact is that this movie's just...boring. It's horribly boring. It's nothing, NOTHING, but a series of training sequences and montages. That's all it is. It's like one giant training sequence. It's incredibly cliche'd and just...dull. This movie also has the nerve to drag on for over 2 hours. It would be fine if all this training and preparation was building up to something BIG but the (predictable) climactic action scene is not nearly enough of a show to make up for the nearly 2 hours we spent watching these characters prepare for it. (They also ruin any sense of intensity by frequently cutting to other scenes during it.) A complete dud. Very few redeeming qualities. Andrew Davis is successful (like he was with the movie Holes) in creating bonds between characters that the audience can sense and there are some cool moments involving that but unfortunately, the movie is slow, boring, and outdated. I can't really think of any redeeming qualities here. Expand
  7. ChrisW.
    Mar 26, 2007
    Ever see Top Gun? Then you don't need to see this movie. There are so many rip-offs of that movie that it makes it unwatchable. Let alone the fact that Ashton Kutcher cannot act in a serious role and Costner plays the same character he's played in the past 10 movies. This movie was a complete waste of time.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    The overlong but involving drama has obvious cross-generational appeal.
    The Guardian is neither serious enough to take seriously nor flashy enough to get by on thrills alone. Jerry Bruckheimer, where art thou?
    There's nothing in The Guardian that audiences haven't previously been exposed to ad nauseam.