5.4

1. Jun 6, 2014
    so the Hangover trilogy closes with "The Hangover Part III". i loved the first "Hangover" movie, it was hilarious! "Part II" was okay, but it wasn't as good as the first movie and it was just a rehash of the first one. so now, in 2013 they gave us "The Hangover Part III" where Alan's the main character this time. and Phil, Stu and Doug are taking him to get some help cause he's turning into an **** now, then they run into a gangster played by John Goodman who takes Doug and he's like "Find me Chow or Doug's dead!" and that's premise of "The Hangover Part III". what i liked about this movie, it's that they had the balls to take a different direction with this one, instead of rehashing it (like the second movie did). but, you'd think they'd put in better jokes to make it funnier, right? unfortunately, it's not really funny this time. it just feels like a dark heist movie of just them trying to find Chow. sure, it does have jokes and i did chuckle a few times in the movie, but the problem is that the jokes in this one fall completely flat and it's not really funny anymore. also, Alan used to be the lovable idiot in the first 2 movies, but in this one, he's a complete **** i get that they were trying to have a subplot of Alan growing as a person, but when you change his character for a different subplot in the movie, that doesn't fit and now Alan's an unlikable douche bag. and Chow used to be my favorite character in the first 2 movies. he was a hilarious Asian baddie that always had me dying in laughter (especially in the first movie). but the problem is that here he's an idiot like Alan and he's not really that funny anymore. and they kept hammering in the fact that Chow's outta his mind. okay, we get it! Chow's crazy, we get it! please, stop shoving that down our throats! as a whole, "The Hangover Part III" was a let down cause i was actually expecting a improvement over "Part II". but apparently, it's not. and i gotta say, i laughed more in the second movie than i did here. Expand
  2. May 18, 2014
    Is it really a Hangover movie when there isn't a hangover? Much like the second movie this entry moves away from humor in order to focus on a darker more violent story. There are no laughs to be found here, just one or two light chuckles. It honestly feels like it's trying to be some sort of crime-thriller type movie, the problem is it just doesn't have any thrills.

Rather than trying
    to come up with funny moments, the film just throws shocking and violent moments out there with the hopes of keeping viewers entertained. The story is darker and more violent, and because of that sucks all of the humor out of the movie. For whatever reason the writers made Alan (Galifianakis), who was funny in the first movie, completely insufferable and totally unlikable. The amount of animal cruelty here is obscene and just all round awful. This just all around is not an enjoyable, funny, or interesting movie in any way.

Regardless of whether or not you were a fan of the first two Hangover movies (I was) you should avoid this one at all costs. It's clear that the only reason this third movie even exists is just to cash in on the Hangover name. It's a complete and utter waste of time, and I in no way know what the people behind this movie were thinking. My total score is a 2.4/10=Awful.
  3. May 13, 2014
    There is a reason why these films are called a Hangover and that is that watching them is like being a Hangover. The first one pulled it off in a good way with us experiencing it with them but now its mostly me getting the Hangover in that I’ll sit there and watch these sequels and then forget what happened in them and not because I was drugged but because there is nothing worth remembering in these sequels. I guess this one is slightly better than the last one in that it wasn’t a total rehash and I was kind of curious in what was going on but in all honesty there is no point to these sequels and I feel like I’ve wasted my time watching them when there are tons of other movies out there that I could be watching instead. All I can say is that I’m glad this franchise is over because I would not be able to stand another Hangover film. If you are a die-hard Hangover fan (in that you actually liked the second one) give this one a shot you’ll probably be cool with it. If you are one of those people who isn’t a big Hangover fan and/or didn’t like the second one than you shouldn’t check this one out. Even if you just want to watch it to finish up the Hangover movies I’d say skip it because this movie is pointless. Hollywood just cranked this movie out to milk the franchise for what it was worth and they are ending it because they realized that one more movie is all they’ll have. I think the best part about this movie is that this hopefully will be the end. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to pretend the sequels don’t exist and just stick to the original because this is a trilogy that should only have one installment. Expand
  4. Ozy
    Apr 2, 2014
    Hangover 3 simply got too serious. This was not the comedy i had been waiting for. An intervention for Christ's sake? What was the point of this 'end' to the trilogy? What were the film makers trying to say here? 'ok guys, funs over everybody go home now...' dissatisfied and disappointed with this flick. Although I loved hangover 2, its plot seemed the exact same as the first. So ill give this one a 1 for at least trying something different. Expand
  5. Dec 23, 2013
    Compare to the first two films, this one was an insult to those who was in love with the series from Day 1. There was no hangover and it was a total catastrophe. I should have gone to watch this with my girlfriend where a little lip action would have distracted me from going through this comedic disaster.
  6. Dec 21, 2013
    Part 1 was fantastic and a truly different comedy movie, definitely and defiantly better than other comedies of a similar genre. Part 2 was decent (even though they recycled the same exact plot from Part 1), due to an impressive performance by Ken Jeong. How many times can you repeat the same exact jokes and plot? To be honest, this comedy lacked momentum and had lazy acting with somewhat poor production values. And yes, I know how hard it is to make a 'good' comedy sequel, let alone a prequel. Expand
  7. Dec 13, 2013
    Unfunny, left me bored and just disappointed. it seems like much of the star cast has lost their charisma over the trilogy. I went to go see it with my freands and well that usually causes laughs no matter what the film.... but i watched the whole thing in dead silence, Me and my freands resorted to throwing popcorn around which i found was a lot more entertaining.
  8. Nov 27, 2013
    This was a very funny movie but some parts were wrong lol. I was left feeling guilty for watching this afterwards. Like as if i stood by as someone drank themselves to death. Dark humor hilarious but over done not so much.
  9. Nov 9, 2013
    There's just no way around it: The Hangover could have used a third (and final, hopefully) installment, but this is NOT good enough, in any way, shape or form, to match up to the excellent original and solid sequel.

The main issue is the plot, which feels as hashed together as I can imagine the entire film was. The performances of the main characters are still as solid as they've ever
    been, but Bradley Cooper has come a long way in between Hangovers and his presence is almost...overbearing? It's hard to pinpoint, but none of the actors (including a more involved Ken Jeong as Chow and a unnecessarily involved John Goodman as the film's antagonist) are helped by the thin and void story.

Without spoiling it, I'll just say that the plot itself chokes the humor out of the film. Each of the previous Hangovers worked by creating situations that were, in and of themselves, hilarious, and then adding the reactions of a handful of excellent comedic actors. A bit of improv must have come into play as well, and even that feels cut off for most of Part III. The potential danger that created the tension in the first two films is diluted to the point where it doesn't work how it's supposed to work: as a platform for the humor. Nothing is better than a good laugh when you might be expecting things to go wrong...and even when they go wrong in Part III, you can't seem to find it in you to care as you once did.

In the end, you'll most likely wonder, like myself, why any of this had to happen in the first place. I'm not talking about the film, but the story within, which is absolutely ridiculous to begin with and gets no better as it continues to unfold. There are some truly funny moments...with such an impressive cast, it was an impossibility to completely avoid that. But these are too far between a shoddy script to justify itself. A poor idea laced into a great overall idea (concluding the series with a bang) makes the entire thing...below itself as a franchise installment.
  10. Nov 6, 2013
    It's like an ignorant child trying to grab attention, it's annoying and a pain in the ass. At-least Ken Jeong made me laugh at some scenes in the movie.
    (2 for Ken Jeong)
  11. Nov 3, 2013
    Outrageous and sometimes hilarious, but for the most part its a retread of the events/scenarios of the previous Hangover films with only the setting being the newest addition and biggest difference. The acting is great and I am most fond of Zach Galifianakis reprising his role as Allen who is clearly the best character of the wolfpack. This is not a very good sequel.
  12. Oct 7, 2013
    It is not even close to the previous sections, poor pointless story, but I would not call it. Except for gag couple bored of it all, it was a waste of money. Too bad for him.
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    Hollywood really shouldn't have made more than one Hangover movie, and we shouldn't be encouraging them by watching.

Boring, unoriginal, cringe-worthy drivel. Total garbage.
  14. Jul 12, 2013
    Where is the comedy in this comedy? Thats the question I am still trying to answer after finishing this movie. Without comedy there is nothing to see here at all.
  15. Jul 10, 2013
    The movie tries to take a different direction from the previous, but it only makes it unfunny, silly and really boring. Still, it's nice to see Galifianakis.
  16. Jul 8, 2013
    Really bizarre... it didn't even focus on comedy and seemed like a caper flick. I can somewhat commend them for trying harder than they did in Part II, but The Hangover should have never been a trilogy.
  17. Jun 30, 2013
    People try to tell me that "Hangover III" is a good one guess what. It isn't. Odie Henderson wrote that it's more like "Alain's Eleven" and that actually nails it. Besides of that fact, it has nothing to do with a "Hangover"-movie at all.
  18. Jun 27, 2013
    A classic example of Sequel Syndrome. The first was fantastic, The second was good but tried too hard to be like the first. The third has people realizing that the writers etc have ran out of ideas. And it has become all too stale.
  19. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The 3rd installment of the Hangover series, which was billed as the final, had all the hype of a prize fight and like a prize fight was a complete let down. Hangover 3: The Search for Chow was very disappointing, the worst of the series and you shouldn't waste your money to see this in the theater. This is a DVD rental at best.

The giraffe scene was by far the funniest scene of the movie but unfortunately comes at the very beginning. The extra scene at the end was pretty hysterical too and my thought was an Alan wedding would've been funnier, especially if they had worked it backward to establish who is wife is. My issue with this movie is a lot of what has already been said. Alan was supposed to be our loveable ra-tard who is a kid in an adults body and in this episode he becomes a teenager. A self absorbed hateful person who is mean to just be mean. The heist aspect fo the movie was a good idea but executed poorly. John Goodman was not favorably cast and this would've been a lot funnier had someone like Fred Armisen been the big bad. The jokes fell flat and while the ideas were there, the movie felt like it was rushed. I would've been ok if Todd Phillips (a comedic genius) had to take 5 years to give us a quality ending to the series. Chow was never supposed to be a main character, he was a supporting one and there is entirely too much of him in this movie. My last issue with the film is the lack of cameos. It's the last movie of the series and ends in Vegas, c'mon fellas! Give us a Mike Tyson and Carrot Top and make it funny. When I start feeling that I could've written the movie better, that's when I realize I'm in a bad movie. The first movie of the series is one of my all time favorite movies and I'm aware the sequels wouldn't be as good but I really wanted more laughs to end it.
  20. Jun 21, 2013
    Wow, I thought being a Friday night, I would sit down with my two kids, 9 and 12, and watch hangover 3, we saw the first two and thought they were funny. Who in their right mind thinks it's funny that a giraffe loses it head on the freeway. It just goes to show how sick society has become, especially in the U.S.A, where so much violence is except-able, that this can be classed as comedy.
    With no encouragement from me, my two kids did not want to continue watching the movie and I don't blame them. If there is a fourth hangover, I will not buy it and I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way.
  21. Jun 21, 2013
    This is a movie with people that have too much time on there hands. I think it is very unrealistic. I would warn people to not waste there money. This movie is for the people that have no life and basic losers.
  22. Jun 21, 2013
    The joke has irrevocably worn out. This time around, they even forgot to make a comedy but instead they went for a thriller that has a couple of jokes (all of which you can see by watching the trailer).
  23. Jun 19, 2013
    Very boring. At least The Hangover Part II had laughs despite the fact it was a carbon copy of the first. This film may have had 3-4 laughs at best. Of course the best ones was anything featuring Megan McCarthy. The characters don't even seem like themselves after the first two movies which could be a result of the actors not wanting to be involved with the movie which showed on the screen. The plot was half way decent I will give it that, but as soon as the gang heads to Las Vegas it becomes aware that the film makers did not feel comfortable diverting from the formula too much so they headed to a familiar location. Avoid like the plague! Expand
  24. Jun 19, 2013
    Uggh...not a good movie. Never got the negative reviews from Hangover II as I still found it funny despite it being a "Remix" to the first Hangover. This one has a brand new plot, not recycled, however it is just not funny. Found a few laughs but overall it is easily the worst of the trilogy.
  25. Jun 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is a disgrace to the franchise as there simply is no Hangover I thought that there would be another wedding for the fat guy as in the end he gets married anyways Expand
  26. Jun 11, 2013
    Before I watched this people told me "It's better than the second anyway." So there was born my expectation of a slightly mediocre film as the second to me, was just, a stocky attempt at rehashing the first...no more, no less... However. This was not better than the second. Not by a long shot.
  27. Jun 10, 2013
    I think we all were going to see Hangover 3. No matter how good or awful it turned out to be. And thus it was created. Hopefully it stop here. Anyone expecting the comedy of the original will be sorely disappointed. The director it seems to have realized his big mistake in basically re-shooting the hangover in Bangkok and calling it a sequel. Though props go to the drug dealing monkey.

The result is something that meanders between being a heist film and a gross out comedy. They do a good job of making the characters more human after hangover part 2. As other have said Zach Galifianakis really dominates the wolfpack in this one. Both in terms of being central to the story and screen time. Also Ken Jeong who is elevated from bit character to full on bad guy or good guy depending how you look at it.
    Due to a back story of events that barely make sense an over-serious John Goodman kidnaps Doug (no. really?) thus kicking events off. Unlike hangover 1 and 2 they aren't even drugged this time and it is unclear what past sins they have committed to deserve such punishment. Especially Doug. Poor guy gets so little screen-time for being such a big part of the plot. It could have been an interesting direction if he came along for one of their crazy adventures. He could have been the "straight" guy horrified by the things the wolfpack has become used to.

There are laughs to be had though. And at least one pair of boobs to be seen. Though FYI you have to wait for the credits and you will regret it. Overall a low end comedy still sitting in the shadow of a much better original.
  28. Jun 7, 2013
    Comedy approach to Ocean's Eleven, so horrible they used well-written characters to themselves up so bad as if you're watching a new Family Guy episode. However, there is value in watching Alan grow and become a man.
  29. Jun 6, 2013
    A disapoitment. You just get the feeling that the filmmakers really had no idea, what to do with the third movie. Two or three scenes were funny and that was it.

1. Reviewed by: Odie Henderson
    Jun 6, 2013
    The Hangover Part III plays more like a caper film — “Alan’s Eleven,” perhaps — than a comedy. While Phillips ably handles the action sequences, he and co-screenwriter Craig Mazin can’t juggle both genres in the screenplay.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Rose
    May 27, 2013
    This is less a caper than a trudge; a linear adventure that proceeds in fits and starts, with few surprises and fewer laughs. There's barely even a hangover.
  3. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    May 23, 2013
    Not just bad, but weirdly, fascinatingly bad.