Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: August 10, 2011
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 396 Ratings
WATCH NOW
marcmyworksDec 20, 2016
An ambitious piece of fiction with heart, soul and a lot of heart. This film doesn't browbeat the audience with the message of race against race but still maintains the hardships of the time and fills one with a sense of what it might haveAn ambitious piece of fiction with heart, soul and a lot of heart. This film doesn't browbeat the audience with the message of race against race but still maintains the hardships of the time and fills one with a sense of what it might have been like to live in a World where prejudice and racism was more open than it is now. Expand
rhoulOct 18, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie The Help was released August 10, 2011, a mere two years after the book written by Kathryn Stockett was released, and took society by storm. Its thought-provoking plot drew the viewers in and attacked their thoughts with the social issues of the 1960s. With its superb and undeniably fantastic characterization, an inspiring and thought provoking plot, and “down home” roots of the South, The Help touches all types of movie lovers.
The movie, set in the 1960s in Mississippi is about a woman, Skeeter, who just finished college and has overwhelming aspirations of becoming a famous writer. Skeeter wants to write a true piece of what is really happening to the help in the south so she seeks out slave women in her community and invites them to express their story. In the beginning, only one slave would accept Skeeter’s interview requests because they thought it would be too dangerous to take part in. Aibileen, a black woman that raises white girls, has a lot to say about her standing and experiences with the white women. Skeeter then manages to get more women on board including Minny and her story grows from there. And of course, woven through the plot is the much needed “mean girl” in the movie, Hilly Holbrook who despises her slaves and treats them, and other white women, very poorly. By the end of the movie, the viewer has been through the ups and downs of day-to-day life for the slaves. There is a gruesome shooting that evokes strong feelings of motherhood in some of the help which proved to be a setback in Skeeter’s original book timeline. However, through the many encountered setbacks, Skeeter produces her book and the slave owners realize some of the stories that have been told are about them. The ladies that own the maids become livid with Skeeter while the book becomes a huge success overall.
However, many think the movie failed to accurately represent the time period because, in their opinion, the movie does not portray the Jim Crow laws that were already in effect. Others say the thought of a white college woman wanting to aid “the help” is completely absurd. In the movie, the servants and slaves use separate bathrooms from that of the white women. Some viewers found this to be a hinderance in their view of the well-written plotline. Also, others said the maid’s talk was degrading and stereotypical to the African-American society. However, a large majority of the people who believe that the movie is stereotypical have not read the book.
I, however do think The Help, accurately represents the hardship slaves and specifically women slaves went through. From the first time I watched the movie, it captivated me with raw emotions of hardship and humor. My favorite line in the movie is said by Aibileen Clark, “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” The line may not have the best grammar, but it truly is inspiring. Aibileen was trying to teach a little girl of whom she was the nanny that even though her mother did not outwardly appreciate her, there was someone who did. I believe we all need a little more positivity in life to balance out the extreme amounts of negativity and this encounter really shows that.
While the movie had its ups and downs, many would argue it had an overwhelming amount of ups compared to the miniscule downs. However, some downs included a few plot issues. In one of the scenes, Skeeter is eating a snack that the hired help had prepared but and she does not bat an eye. However, the help are not considered good enough to even use the same bathrooms as their white owners. On the other hand, the slave owners in the movie portray their deep feelings of hatred toward their hired help but turn around and trust their own children to the care of the help. These ideas prevent some viewers from seeing the true beauty of the film.
From funny characters, the extensive addressing of social issues, and an upbeat plot, The Help truly has it all. It has the right amount of chick-flick to historical fiction and “mean girls” ratio. There is something for every viewer in this movie because of the death scene of a slave’s child, the rude and “mean girl” attitude of Hilly Holbrook, and the soft side of Aibileen toward the white children. Based on events that could have happened in the 60s, The Help provokes thoughts from deep down inside every viewers heart, challenging viewers to immerse themselves in the way life used to be. Set in Mississippi, this movie really is down home and evokes a little bit of “southern hospitality” in every viewer. Therefore, I believe the movie The Help is a well written, executed, and casted film with fantastic characterization that will forever provoke strong feelings and emotions from the 1960s of southern life to touch all types of movie lovers.
David05Sep 17, 2016
"The help" let me thinking about many interesting things when it ended, it was something really well-done from the beginning to the end with a very good structure, amazing performances, appropriate settings and an artistic vision about life"The help" let me thinking about many interesting things when it ended, it was something really well-done from the beginning to the end with a very good structure, amazing performances, appropriate settings and an artistic vision about life during that era dealing with a very controversial topic and playing with dynamic and contrasting characters, I can see passion in this movie, It really shows in a certain way the reality in that time but always justice. Expand
CinemaphileJul 29, 2016
One genre of film that begs comparison to its predecessors is the Southern Fried Roman à clef. Unlike most serialized fictional film fare, this genre is tied inextricably to the history of The South, which for bad or good, will always be aOne genre of film that begs comparison to its predecessors is the Southern Fried Roman à clef. Unlike most serialized fictional film fare, this genre is tied inextricably to the history of The South, which for bad or good, will always be a topic of debate. The cinematic adaptation of the best-selling novel The Help places it smack dab in the middle - pardon my patois - of the struggle for Civil Rights and in the company of other luminary films such as To Kill A Mockingbird and Fried Green Tomatoes.

The Help is told with the traditional female voice pioneered by Margaret Mitchell and subsequently revitalized by Alice Walker and Fannie Flagg. However, that strong female narration isn't enough to make The Help memorable. In the grand scheme of things, The Help will be as relevant or as memorable as Steel Magnolias, but unlike that vehicle for jerking tears and Oscar nominations, The Help lacks a stellar cast. Only Octavia Spencer shines, in part because she's the only character with any motivation. The rest of the cast pales in comparison to that of Fried Green Tomatoes, as the casting is very, very Hollywood. Emma Stone's Skeeter Phelan is cute as a bug, but unlike Scout Finch and Idgie Threadgoode, Skeeter is passive and one dimensional. Bryce Dallas Howard's Holly Holbrook is equally shallow, the obligatory protagonist mindlessly clinging to notions of class and superiority with a mustachio-twisting meanness that would make Snidely Whiplash roll his cartoon eyes. Sadly, aging icons Sissy Spacek and Cicely Tyson shine only in supporting roles, relegated to the wings.

The Help breaks no new ground, rehashing a similar plot found in The Long Walk Home, but failing to engage the viewer vicariously in the struggles of Jackson Mississippi's virtually indentured domestic servants. At no time do we feel that Minnie or Aibileen are in jeopardy. We see very little of the backlash of the Civil Rights Movements in The Help, as most of the action takes place in idyllic, affluent homes. The Help even lacks much of the characteristic Southern humor which made painful films such as The Color Purple and The Prince of Tides easier to digest. To make matters worse, The Help panders to those responsible for the social inequities of The South, sugar coating the darker elements of the era and assuaging the guilt of the audience.

Warts and all, The Help is entertaining, but not enlightening. I can't recommend it for the one of the top 10 slots in your Netflix or Redbox queue, wait for it to hit standard cable.
SpangleMay 30, 2016
The Help is a truly fantastic film that displays every ounce of movie magic one would hope from a film. While not as challenging of its racial elements as it should be and built on the trope of an educated white person helping minorities, TheThe Help is a truly fantastic film that displays every ounce of movie magic one would hope from a film. While not as challenging of its racial elements as it should be and built on the trope of an educated white person helping minorities, The Help rises above these conventions with a truly heartfelt and triumphant story. Even more, the acting lifts the film into a different stratosphere. Led by Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer, Emma Stone, and Jessica Chastain, The Help is a real showcase for its actors who all steal the show in their own ways. Additionally, the film is really well paced. For a film that is two and a half hours, it never slacked and had no filler. Instead, it is a well cut and well paced film that never really slowed down, instead providing entertainment for the entire runtime. Overall, The Help is a very good film about its stated subject and shedding light on the lives of these women who raised white children in the south for so long. Expand
geo333Mar 12, 2016
The Help has great scenes and strong performances from all the cast that contribute to the film success. Add to that the film touching subject about U.S dark past. Overall, a great film.
audreythomas25Feb 29, 2016
A great story and a wonderful cast combine to make this drama a must-see.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-240c0d-The-Help-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
SamarushkaOct 22, 2015
How can I characterise this film? It is truthful and unique,sorrowful and making me laugh-out-loud, bright and very kind. I'm talking about "The Help" directed and adapted by Tate Taylor from Kathryn Stockett's novel of the same name. And IHow can I characterise this film? It is truthful and unique,sorrowful and making me laugh-out-loud, bright and very kind. I'm talking about "The Help" directed and adapted by Tate Taylor from Kathryn Stockett's novel of the same name. And I want to share my emotions with you about this film, because for me it is the magnificent example of the opposition between rich, beautiful and putrid inside American people of the upper class from the one side, and from the other - generous, wise, miserable African Americans with a big hearts.
In the year 1963 a young journalist Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan(Emma Stone) started to write a book about the life of black maids in American families. She asked Aibileen Clark(Viola Davis) to help her, reluctant and frightened to tell her story at first. We see a lot of cases of humiliation, of fear such maids to lose their job, but in the same time, they never give up, as Aibileen's friend Minny Jackson (Octavia Spenser), she is so magnificent, so optimistic, so particular. Minny was also quite a rebellious maid, because one time she used guest bath instead of going out into tornado weather to use help's toilet. Oh yes, "they (black people) carry different diseases than we(white people) do" was the reason for prohibition of using the same toilets with family members. So, there are so many examples of how miserable and complicated life of such maids was, but, nevertheless, they kept on loving children which they look after, cooking the outstanding dishes and being the people of great hearts, while their employers were doing a lot of disgusting and degrading things which their help could never even think about.
The movie is worth watching for those who want to understand in which condition were African Americans in 1960s and also for those want to see an outstanding picture of unforgettable and bright characters!
smtaufiqJun 25, 2015
I thought this movie was really good. It had a good story and it was different over the fact that a white female during the time period wanted to write a book about the lives of African American women during the time period.
Meth-dudeMay 17, 2015
The performances were really good and the movie is true to what happened in this time.But,the movie is not entertaining and seems really long.Certainly not a bad movie but,it's certainly not a good movie.
CameraBounceGodFeb 23, 2015
so emma stone is killed by the goblin why is she here? is it because a woman writer doesn't make sense.....?? but seriously I love how the starts as a fourth wall breach framing device with her looking into the camera as such... I feelso emma stone is killed by the goblin why is she here? is it because a woman writer doesn't make sense.....?? but seriously I love how the starts as a fourth wall breach framing device with her looking into the camera as such... I feel compelled to skip ahead. ..but i finally get tot see what ambrosia is....weird how i thought that the first maid might strangle her with the cord...no? wait is that Bryce dalla howard....and shes talking to gwen stacey from the new spider man but she was the previous gwen stacey....?is this a ritual or something....race disputes are always a cover up so im done on this movie.....its time to move on emma stone....and die in the clock tower. ..because the hotter gwen stacey's ass would blind us all for years....when hers isn't even a year Expand
CherryxldNov 23, 2014
The Help es una película que te atrapa con su buena historia, y no solo por eso, si no también por lo muy bien que está dirigida esa historia, a parte de las buenas actuaciones.
FranzHcriticSep 14, 2014
A sappy melodrama, that emphasizes far too much than the light tone of the dialogue and characters can handle. For one thing, it was too cute, too much of the emotional side of race, so much that it made me almost queasy. The acting is eitherA sappy melodrama, that emphasizes far too much than the light tone of the dialogue and characters can handle. For one thing, it was too cute, too much of the emotional side of race, so much that it made me almost queasy. The acting is either at par or above par, depending on the character. Octavia Spencer is the light at the end of the tunnel; her vulgar,obstinate, and disdainful Minny has both comedy and drama thread into the character. Jessica Chastain is the lantern, with a cutesy and light-hearted role. That being said, Viola Davis, Emma Stone, and Bryce Dallas Howard are just a few matches. The film itself, is quite hard to see through sometimes. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 27, 2014
The Help is a gift. A truly special gift of filmmaking. It's the perfection adaptation of an already perfect novel. Tate Taylor along with his starry ensemble of characters make for one of the very best films of the year. Only issue here isThe Help is a gift. A truly special gift of filmmaking. It's the perfection adaptation of an already perfect novel. Tate Taylor along with his starry ensemble of characters make for one of the very best films of the year. Only issue here is that Viola Davis missed out on the Oscar win. Expand
sammurphy66Jul 23, 2014
Irresistibly likeable and incredibly heart-warming - The Help not only boasts brilliant performances, but has a consistently sweet and funny tone which adds to the films already warm premise.
elsylorenaJul 20, 2014
Una película hermosa, que muestra la realidad de Estados Unidos en esa época, con actuaciones maravillosas, una historia hecha para hacerte llorar, una de las mejores películas que he visto.
JosMi1Jun 13, 2014
Excelente película, tiene un reparto de soló mujeres de primera. Las actuaciones de Viola, Octavia, Sissy, Bryce Dallas, Jessica y Emma son bien logradas. El desarrollo de la historia fue muy bien logrado. El desarrollo de los personajesExcelente película, tiene un reparto de soló mujeres de primera. Las actuaciones de Viola, Octavia, Sissy, Bryce Dallas, Jessica y Emma son bien logradas. El desarrollo de la historia fue muy bien logrado. El desarrollo de los personajes excelente. El final fue lo más triste de la cinta (por la historia). Expand
lukechristianscApr 11, 2014
what a good movie about someone who helps this maid through segregation in the 50"s . Good Movie . grade A+ ..................................................................
TheApplegnomeMar 22, 2014
The Help is an interesting movie, that truly shows us how the US was in the 60s and I really liked it!
The story in The Help is highly entertaining, and I really enjoyed the movie, because the civil rights movement during this time truly was important!
Overall is The Help a great movie, but the slow tempo actually made it a little boring in some scenes.

The Help gets a 7/10
MissDraeMar 3, 2014
I love this **** ****sjdjdjrfhffbggbvbfhfhvhfhfhfhfhfhdurjrrurururrurutytytydkapalsiekwaka
Dpddldldkffkkfjfjvnggnbnbmvmdkc djdjfmvjffjhf fufhffhfhfjjddjdjdjjf
busbfranDec 31, 2013
The Help is one of the most gripping movies I have seen in a long time, once you start watching you virtually can't move. This is a example of a successful movie that will always continue to keep to clued to the screen. Never have I watched aThe Help is one of the most gripping movies I have seen in a long time, once you start watching you virtually can't move. This is a example of a successful movie that will always continue to keep to clued to the screen. Never have I watched a movie where you cry and laugh at the same time. A must watch for everyone, you will not be disappointed! Expand
StevenFOct 22, 2013
While its subject is the division that changed an era way back in the sixties, 'The Help' manages to offer a safe and optimistic tale out of a difficult and testing time in American history. The film has centred itself around theWhile its subject is the division that changed an era way back in the sixties, 'The Help' manages to offer a safe and optimistic tale out of a difficult and testing time in American history. The film has centred itself around the African-American maids predominantly working in Jackson, Mississippi as they carefully detail their day to day lives working for the white women of the town, they do so through the energetic and openness of Skeeter Phelan (Emma Stone), who sets out to write a book anonymously to highlight the situations these women endure. This is a definitely a safe film, and while does tend to only touch on some of the ugly and chaotic times of the era, it also seems like this was intentional, instead offering the good that can come out a situation such as this, it is willing to show great emotion while also keeping themes arms length, it delves and paddles its feet slightly on racial abuse but never plunges too deep. Skeeter sets her sights on two maids to begin her book, her backstory showing that she has difficulty fitting into the society she once lived in, these two maids are Aibileen Clark (Viola Davis) and Minny Jackson (Octavia Spencer). As wonderful an actress as Emma Stone is, the film belongs to these tow characters, they could have easily won out the entire show on their own.
The former is really the centre of the story, as she is the first to speak to Skeeter, we are immediately shown the life she leads as she raises the young children of the family she works for, and watches them grow up to be exactly the way their mothers are, We can see from the excellent performance of Davis that Aibileen is tired of being treated like a pet, the leader of the ladies in the social circle is Hilly (Bryce Dallas Howard) is the snake of the town, campaigning behind a smile to have separate bathrooms for the maids so as they don't use their own, Minny is the comic relief and hearty force of the film, as she is fired by Hilly and in turn goes to work for the outcast of this social circle, Celia Foot (Jessica Chastain), who treats Minny as an equal, albeit with quite the quirky and unhinged personality to go along with her generosity. Each one of the characters immediately invite us into their lives, Aibileen struggles with a previous tragedy that eventually drives her to talk to Skeeter, considering the risks involved in speaking ill of their employers, bug they aren't always doing that, there are plenty of happy memories, especially Skeeter and her family maid Constantine, a story which also holds a touching and heartbreaking premise. The excellent performances of Davis and Spencer are the hallmarks of this colourful and vibrant setting, it's short on make roles but never feels overly feminine, instead choosing to (inadvertently) have Aibileen as the centrepiece of the show, with Chastains character and the story of Skeeters maid taking a smaller but equally touching subplot. This is happy and moving film that can be a little rough around the edges with some devices belonging in a different film, but the performances of Davis and Spencer are of the highest order, their characters each have a life outside of their jobs which feature prominently but don't overshadow their desire for change, it's a different sort of take on a cruel and often tragic era in history, one which doesn't cover all the holes but certainly fills the relevant ones with humour and heartfelt decency.
MovieGuysOct 13, 2013
The Help is one of those movies that captures the era of civil rights very accurately, except it's told through the maids and butlers and "the house help". It is very funny at times when it's appropriate, and dramatic and sad when it needs toThe Help is one of those movies that captures the era of civil rights very accurately, except it's told through the maids and butlers and "the house help". It is very funny at times when it's appropriate, and dramatic and sad when it needs to be. To watch this film, just flip through your movie channels on TV, because it's one of those good movies that's always on. Expand
BrandonBonaseraMay 30, 2013
Yes, it is a little cheesy and sappy at times with some dodgy southern accents and some unexplained plot-points, but nevertheless, The Help is a great film adaptation that is realistic and has committed performances from its cast members,Yes, it is a little cheesy and sappy at times with some dodgy southern accents and some unexplained plot-points, but nevertheless, The Help is a great film adaptation that is realistic and has committed performances from its cast members, especially Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain. Expand
ExKingMar 30, 2013
i absolutely loved this movie awesome story awesome picture and it gives you kinda of a peaceful feeling while watching this movie emma stone done a spectacular job i can't think of one thing negative about this movie.
sil3nt_nickMar 24, 2013
To see a film that was hilarious as well as touching was definitely what I felt was a successful film. Under James Cameron's Titanic, this is my favorite drama.
mds03Mar 3, 2013
Very inspiring and entertaining movie. It was funny and sad at some parts. I would recommend this to anyone. Emma Stone and Jessica Chastain's performances were flawless. But all the performances were good. Extremely recommended to anyone.
ScarTissue1990Feb 27, 2013
Absolutely amazing!
Tss5078Feb 23, 2013
Yesterday, I had a 3 hour break in-between classes, and a free movie on my AMC Stubbs card, so I went to the movies. Unbelievably the only thing playing at my time was one of the movies I didn't want to see, The Help. Isn't it funny how theYesterday, I had a 3 hour break in-between classes, and a free movie on my AMC Stubbs card, so I went to the movies. Unbelievably the only thing playing at my time was one of the movies I didn't want to see, The Help. Isn't it funny how the movie you never want to see always turns out to be great? The Help is based on a book by the same title, and follows a young writer, in the mid 1960s, looking for an idea. At a party, she notices how horrible people are to the African American help and decides to write their story. Of course it's a scandalous idea that can get them all killed, but Skeeter finds one woman brave enough to tell her story. This movie is funny, heartwarming, and inspirational, not to mention the acting is top notch. Viola Davis deserves an Oscar nomination for her performance, which is one of the strongest I've seen all year. The Help is an amazing story, with a terrific cast, and a big upside. It has a unique and inspiring story that takes us back to a very tumultuous time in American History, and I can't recommend it enough! Expand
TheMovieCriticDec 31, 2012
In my opinion, this is a movie well made. The acting is pretty good, especially from the actresses who played the maids. The movie also gives us a glance at how african americans were treated back in the 1960's, a time where african americansIn my opinion, this is a movie well made. The acting is pretty good, especially from the actresses who played the maids. The movie also gives us a glance at how african americans were treated back in the 1960's, a time where african americans still did not have the rights they deserved. The Help is a movie worth seeing. Expand
JawsLaxerDramaDec 21, 2012
The Help isn't the best film ever made. It doesn't pretend to be. For what it is, The Help, for me, is a great movie if you are willing to sit for an hour and half and marvel at the performances. It's supposed to be feel old, and while it mayThe Help isn't the best film ever made. It doesn't pretend to be. For what it is, The Help, for me, is a great movie if you are willing to sit for an hour and half and marvel at the performances. It's supposed to be feel old, and while it may seem predictable- it is actually a very emotional movie that made me tear up. Nominated for an Oscar (and having seen Viola Davis act) It it was one of the best movies of the year. Expand
MontiYanDec 21, 2012
I like it cause Emma is in it. Haha :D But I think its a great movie. Aight? So.. Yeah.

A great movie. A must watch. I really need to

A great movie. A must watch. I really need to watch this. ugh ^^
worleyjamersDec 6, 2012
Seriously, a great film! The story is touching, emotional, powerful, but also humorous at times which is not always an easy combination to fulfill. Besides the powerful story, the absolute best thing about the film is the acting. GreatSeriously, a great film! The story is touching, emotional, powerful, but also humorous at times which is not always an easy combination to fulfill. Besides the powerful story, the absolute best thing about the film is the acting. Great performances all around. Emma stone is fabulous; she has one moment in particular that cuts you right to the heart (for those who have seen it, you know what I'm talking about). Viola Davis shines as the lead maid and Octavia Spencer is equally as brilliant. One performance that isn't getting as much attention is Allison Janney. She's absolutely stunning and I don't think the film would be as good without her. The performance for me though is by Jessica Chastain...a truly fascinating character fueled by a masterful performance. I really really hope she wins the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress; it looks like the award will likely go to her co-star, but Chastain is as deserving! She made this film for me and I can't wait to see her future work. The Help is a must see film! A wonderful story fueled by beautiful performances. Nominated for 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture! Expand
Freakazoid1Dec 1, 2012
One of the most inspiring movies I have ever seen. The only flaw is at times bad dialogue, but otherwise, this movie is a must-see and is a true Oscar winner.
DollisNov 12, 2012
[The Help] is, in some ways, crude and obvious, but it opens up a broad new swath of experience on the screen, and parts of it are so moving and well acted that any objections to what's second-rate seem to matter less as the movie goes on.
barnet42Oct 5, 2012
I love this movie , The pie was really funny all the actors and actress they did a great job and this movie look's like another sissy spacek movie The Long Walk Home 1990.
jetpackulleySep 9, 2012
I shall speak the truth about films that desrve more than what they are given. Like Zack Snyder's latest live-action flick "Sucker Punch", "The Help" deserves more recognition and admiration as it is an incredible experience for movie-goers.I shall speak the truth about films that desrve more than what they are given. Like Zack Snyder's latest live-action flick "Sucker Punch", "The Help" deserves more recognition and admiration as it is an incredible experience for movie-goers. It really warmed my heart, made me laugh, made me frustrated at some points because of racism, made me feel what those women felt and films like this are the ones that are lost in flavor and essence in the present, but are missed in the future. This is such an extraordinary work of art. Definetly, deserves a ten and if there would be an 11, I surely would've given it that! Expand
rafael14Aug 12, 2012
I absolutely loved this movie, i thought it was a really emotional, at times heart breaking, it was funny and exceptionally acted! This movie is brilliant throughout although maybe a little slow theres enough humour to keep you interested!ItsI absolutely loved this movie, i thought it was a really emotional, at times heart breaking, it was funny and exceptionally acted! This movie is brilliant throughout although maybe a little slow theres enough humour to keep you interested!Its a powerful story about a white woman clearly influenced by her own experiences with The Help that she decides to write a story, or a true account of collections straight from The Helps mouths!It truly is a fantastic movie it is brilliant and i loved every minute of it ! Expand
EssenceOfSugarJul 22, 2012
The actresses all had their own part to play in this sugar-coated brightly coloured drama, and I can certainly say for a fact that, for the time these people are living in, I thought it looked quite mawkish in terms of the good intentions ofThe actresses all had their own part to play in this sugar-coated brightly coloured drama, and I can certainly say for a fact that, for the time these people are living in, I thought it looked quite mawkish in terms of the good intentions of the few whites that helped the black servants. These actresses are incredibly talented, I'm not denying that, but that certainly does not dispute the fact that many of them had to act like they were probably living in a gingerbread house and wearing sweets, instead of living in normal houses surrounded by poverty and racism. Westernised? Yes. But fascinating? Of course. It's the interpretation that matters, but the people who made this film just didn't seem to get it quite right. Expand
koundinyaJul 19, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A movie packed with powerful performances by all the actresses. The movie brings out the overly denied message of discrimination; the movie is set in the state of Mississippi, known for its unfair treatment toward the colored people. Skeeter's an aspiring writer who needs one big break to enter the world of writing and decides to write about the unfair treatment of the women in her town, with the help of a domestic maid and as the bigotry exacerbates, more women come forth to narrate their tale of prejudice and wish anonymity. It's an equal mixture of sombre and humor. Octavia Spencer was rightly awarded the Oscar. Expand
aaronpaul121May 26, 2012
A great film that truly excelled in its simple 60's suburban-like story, great & believable acting and the mood of the film which gets deeper and deeper as the movie goes by. A film that has the whole package.............
outsideinApr 10, 2012
Sweet Black Angels

Sweet Black Angels

Telling the story of the end of segregation in the American South through black maids in Jackson Miss. makes this film moving, personal and a tad superficial. Much has been made of the patronizing structure-a young white woman, Skeeter, leads the women to contribute to her book -showing the strong, stoic black women as incapable or unwilling to stand up for themselves. Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer give stand out performances as the maids, and wring all the audience sympathy you could imagine. Of course, given that this is a feminist tale, all the men are bastards or invisible, most of the women on the right side of the argument are brave and wonderful, and the women on the wrong side, poor deluded fools. Allison Janey -of West Wing fame- plays Skeeter's mother - the only 3D character in the piece, a genuinely confused character, and is a core part of the story of redemption.

This book and film is really about current US politics. The fight between right (Obama, the first Black President) and wrong (the same Southern fundamentalist racists we see today) is plain to the viewer, and like the historic 1960's battle, the audience is invited to support the right cause.

I liked the film despite its flaws, as I was on the right side of the argument then, and I still am. By the way, though I lived in NY in the sixties, I had a black maid when my mother went back to work in 1961. My own saint, Annabelle (who looked just like Minny) was fired in 1964 for stealing money after drinking a bottle of whiskey she pilfered from our house. I loved her anyway.
TheQuietGamerApr 7, 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect going into this movie, I really didn't know anything about it other than it was called The Help, that Emma Stone was in it, and it had something to do with maids, and for some inexplicable reason I though it wasI wasn't sure what to expect going into this movie, I really didn't know anything about it other than it was called The Help, that Emma Stone was in it, and it had something to do with maids, and for some inexplicable reason I though it was going to be a comedy, don't ask me why I just thought it was going to be one, don't get me wrong it has it's funny moments but it's a drama first, and a really good one, honestly the movie is done in such good taste, it doesn't favor one side over another as it shows the good and bad things that both did (seriously the pie thing was pretty bad, funny but bad), it's sweet, funny, and emotional, with fantastic acting and writing you'll find yourself loving the characters with all of your heart, and I 100% believe that this movie should get a perfect 10/10 from me, it truly stands out among other movies as an exceptional experience, movies like this are rare, it shows you that something beautiful can come from an ugly experience, that love can come from hate, that we are all equal and deserved to be treated as such, and that if we are willing to open our hearts to one another and drop our hatred the world can be a much better place, and for that, for doing what few other movies want to do, I give it a 10, and recommend it to all, a must watch. Expand
mrjeffsirMar 28, 2012
This film is really good, great performances from a brilliant cast, every part is really well played, the story well written and with real heart and emotionality. Octavia won the Oscar for best supporting actress and is brilliant in it,This film is really good, great performances from a brilliant cast, every part is really well played, the story well written and with real heart and emotionality. Octavia won the Oscar for best supporting actress and is brilliant in it, however, it's Viola Davis's acting performance that really stands out, she is excellent in this movie and i'm stunned she didn't get more recognition. Expand
Trev29Mar 26, 2012
A well executed story. The directing added nothing exciting to this film, but the wonderfully entertaining characters stole the show. It was sincere in its storytelling. It was serious when it needed to be serious and funny when it needed toA well executed story. The directing added nothing exciting to this film, but the wonderfully entertaining characters stole the show. It was sincere in its storytelling. It was serious when it needed to be serious and funny when it needed to be funny. This movie did not need any help capturing the hearts of many. Expand
AwesomeReviewerMar 26, 2012
The big surprise was that this movie was a lot more than what the trailers were offering. It is a movie with a lot of heart and fantastic acting. The pacing feels perfect and the emotion comes out so naturally, nothing ever feels forced. TheThe big surprise was that this movie was a lot more than what the trailers were offering. It is a movie with a lot of heart and fantastic acting. The pacing feels perfect and the emotion comes out so naturally, nothing ever feels forced. The humor is well balanced with the more heavier scenes. It is just a perfect film.

The movies main point is about bringing change. That if you see any unrighteousness you have to stand up for it. Donâ
csw12Mar 24, 2012
The Help is just another racial movie about the past. when are we going to make movies that are different. yes there was some strong acting but i can't get over the fact it seems there are many of the chessy kinds of movies. time to grow up
nutterjrMar 17, 2012
A heartfelt and moving story with terrific performances which deservedly won the best ensemble award in the Screen Actors Guild awards. The subject matter might be tough but the script is intelligently written and with good use of humour, soA heartfelt and moving story with terrific performances which deservedly won the best ensemble award in the Screen Actors Guild awards. The subject matter might be tough but the script is intelligently written and with good use of humour, so it does not feel heavy. Expand
GabrielaRodBMar 10, 2012
This film is impressive, it always atracted my atention, was brilliant the way of give the side of the maids at that time, hilarious performance by Octavia Spencer, she earned those awards. A film highly recommended
cabritaMar 7, 2012
A film that is well acted but it suffers from being cliched and already made in other films. Also the film is racist in it's potrayal of the whites in the 50s. overall a film that feels like it is lacking. It could be lacking in many areasA film that is well acted but it suffers from being cliched and already made in other films. Also the film is racist in it's potrayal of the whites in the 50s. overall a film that feels like it is lacking. It could be lacking in many areas but at the end when the credits are rolling one just feels that you watched a descent film that you will forget about as soon as you walk out of the theatre. Expand
MegWhiteleyMar 2, 2012
I love this film is very interesting, I suppouse that the rhytm can be slow, but this film have a drama part, comedy, is a big film, with an incredible cast. I love The Help.
smijatovFeb 27, 2012
"The Help" has all the right ingredients: a moving story, excellent acting, serious drama, but also charming humour. Indeed, it manages to succeed on many fronts. While it surely does not bring anything new or revolutionary to the film world,"The Help" has all the right ingredients: a moving story, excellent acting, serious drama, but also charming humour. Indeed, it manages to succeed on many fronts. While it surely does not bring anything new or revolutionary to the film world, it is a definite feel-good film, despite its thematic. This, however, is one of its main problems too. It manages to diminish the civil rights movement to the easy-breasy work of good-willed white people, while taking away all agency from the African Americans. Yes, it is their story that is told, but it is only told due to the willingness and enlightenment of the white saviour woman, played by Stone. Yes, I agree with what many people have already pointed out, which is the emotional reality and believability that the actresses got to portray. This is hard to take away from the performers, despite of the problems of the film. The excellent performances by Davis, Spencer, and Chastain were spellbinding. It was very nice to see so many good African American actresses do truly beautiful work and be recognised for it. Technically, the film is very good, but the issues are in the actual story, but that is also the problem of the book. As I said before, the film does not offer anything new, anything daring, challenging, nothing we haven't seen before. While potentially being the most charming film of the year (if one ignores the racial implications), it is definitely not the best one. Nonetheless, it is certainly a good film, with amazing performances that are worth watching, and a story that will warm one's heart or make one very critical of America's view on race and its racialised past (and present)! Expand
PRANSESAFeb 25, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OUTSTANDING, indeed it is. I am really not a fan of books taken into the silver screen but this sure got me really interested getting my own copy, the story of jews and black slavery of course will always be a sure hit and stories such as these will just have to have a different dress to wear and this one got the best gown indeed, formula: experience~ but of course will never fail you, the concept of real narration from the maids made it so warm and heart breaking that their own experiences in each house hold will definitely pinch your heart as the story goes on, I did cry for like every sob story told and how depressing life could have been if I were in the position of those oppressed, everybody would be able to relate to this for each one of us may have experienced a situation when being you, yourself ~seems to be a big problem for you to run a smooth life. I appreciated the humor and positivity that the black people have, they were in fact a shot of life, a breathe of fresh air with all those white trashy principles of "perfection" that bombard them, the blacks in this picture were framed beautifully that I saw how special and unique their personalities are, happy, creative persevering and name it, they are unsung heroes of the white's earlier generations. Inequality has always been a constant burn in the universe, the favored and the unfavored, the lucky and the unfortunate, realistic as it sounds that the world is a struggle of the opposites well life will definitely move forward and hopefully soon, all the colors of life from the darkest shade to the lightest will blend to when all is well. Expand
BKMFeb 20, 2012
The Help is a crowd pleasing bit of fluff that doesn't really dig dip into the true ugliness, pain and complexity of the race issue. However, it still works thanks to the excellent performances by the entire cast. Viola Davis, Bryce DallasThe Help is a crowd pleasing bit of fluff that doesn't really dig dip into the true ugliness, pain and complexity of the race issue. However, it still works thanks to the excellent performances by the entire cast. Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard and Jessica Chastain are especially good. But say what you will about whether or not the film portrays the issue of race accurately and honestly, it still wins you over with its enormous heart. Expand
Roadie_42Feb 8, 2012
I'm 14 years old, I'm the only one of my friends that appreciate this kind of movie. But when I saw this film with my friends at the cinema, everyone was in love. We thought that was meaningful and talks about a good argument, it was funny,I'm 14 years old, I'm the only one of my friends that appreciate this kind of movie. But when I saw this film with my friends at the cinema, everyone was in love. We thought that was meaningful and talks about a good argument, it was funny, interesting and dramatic at the same time. And it wasn't slow or heavy. But I think that the film can't have a Oscar for Best Movie. Maybe for best actress or/and for best supporting actress. I enjoyed this film so much, I liked all the actors. Even the "villains". Howard's character was detestable but her interpretation was brilliant. Also the drama of Viola Davis and the comedy of Octavia Spencer was amazing. The only thing that I think was not so clever was the cake thing, but it didn't change anything in my opinion. Expand
KleineSeanFeb 8, 2012
Amazing film with a very talented cast. It deserves all the nomination it has and the awards it has won. By far, the best movie of 2011 I've seen. A must-watch.
lasttimeisawJan 29, 2012
This four Oscar-nominated film has finally set ashore here in the theater and is destined to be a gratifying crowd-pleaser. It is a resourceful reference to the color discrimination period almost 50 years ago in USA. The film is able to findThis four Oscar-nominated film has finally set ashore here in the theater and is destined to be a gratifying crowd-pleaser. It is a resourceful reference to the color discrimination period almost 50 years ago in USA. The film is able to find its resonance elsewhere in the world painlessly, even for a Chinese like myself, discrimination is commonplace among human societies, and we can all empathize with the characters and enjoy the theatrical conflict with some well-infilled satisfaction after a lengthy 150 minutes. From director/writer Tate Taylor (who has a supporting role in another Oscar-favorite WINTER'S BONE 2010), THE HELP interweaves a lively portrait of the bitterness and felicity of the lives of black helps, through a young white girl's intervention to harness their stories as the source materials for her book. Maybe one can argue that all the twist-and-turn is too hoary for the audience in the 21st century, but propped by an all-out effort from a superb cast, the film miraculously enjoyable and the epiphany comes with a perfect tempo, arguably a supporting role, Viola Davis demos a tenacious mojo on screen and her emotional flare-up is wondrous to watch, Octavia, Bryce, Jessica are among the elites of the nearly all-female supporting groups (Viola and Octavia is my current win in the leading and supporting actress respectively), and old hands like Allison, Sissy, Cicely and Mary also showcase their meticulous scene-stealer dexterity. All these accompaniments has induced that Emma Stoneâ Expand
MikefromAngusJan 29, 2012
The movie, had one big problem. It was boring! As I started watching the movie, I knew how it was going to end. There were no suprises, or twists. Just a boring story, with some characters who you should feel sorry for and some characters whoThe movie, had one big problem. It was boring! As I started watching the movie, I knew how it was going to end. There were no suprises, or twists. Just a boring story, with some characters who you should feel sorry for and some characters who you should feel angry against. Expand
SoulshockJan 28, 2012
Really good movie, great acting, really recommend it. In other news, I am pretty sure that in 40 years or less there will be a movie similar to this, maybe titled The Friends, but centred on gays. Humans never learn.
eTurkeyJan 27, 2012
"The Help" is quite extraordinary in how it deals with delicate issues like race relations in the 1950's. The acting is just about near perfect with standouts including maids Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and the town racist Bryce Dallas"The Help" is quite extraordinary in how it deals with delicate issues like race relations in the 1950's. The acting is just about near perfect with standouts including maids Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and the town racist Bryce Dallas Howard. The musical score is delightful and the costumes stay true to the decade in question. The dialog can be somewhat corny at times but one minor blemish(s) on an otherwise perfect film is fantastic. I had high expectations before I saw this feature but the final outcome has blown me away. Expand
NJWolfgangJan 25, 2012
Pleasant film. Great work by Chastain, Spencer, and Spacek. Viola Davis is fine and Emma Stone is a bit boring. Adaption of the work for film is done well. Technical aspects are good.
TastyJamProjectJan 20, 2012
The Help is well intentioned. That doesn't make it any less racist in its (fictional) storyline based on the south in 1950's America, with the idea that only a white woman can help black women find their voice. The only reason to see thisThe Help is well intentioned. That doesn't make it any less racist in its (fictional) storyline based on the south in 1950's America, with the idea that only a white woman can help black women find their voice. The only reason to see this film is the talent put forward by the electrifying Viola Davis and the gutsy performance from Octavia Spencer. Other than that, there's not much here with substance, and the more horrific events of the 1950's seem to be glossed over. Collapse
todayorJan 19, 2012
This movie is **** racist. It pisses me off that it has the audacity to abuse actual clips from the civil rights movement. **** this movie, it is condescending, patronizing, artificial, superficial, and pandering. The worst kind of movie, oneThis movie is **** racist. It pisses me off that it has the audacity to abuse actual clips from the civil rights movement. **** this movie, it is condescending, patronizing, artificial, superficial, and pandering. The worst kind of movie, one that tries to be about big ideas when it couldn't even manage small ones. Stupid, stupid movie. It reminds me of Uncle Tom's Cabin all over again. WTF is all I have to say. Expand
chanduttJan 16, 2012
57 yr old white guy. Thought it couldn't be that good. Boy was I wrong. Stayed up late to watch it all. Give the Best Actress award to any of the women. Loved it. Thanks for making it.
NedRyerson1Jan 14, 2012
Every minute while watching The Help, I was constantly surprised. At first, the movie seemed to me a simple story a young woman trying to become a well known writer collecting testimonies of black maids; but is so much under it. There is aEvery minute while watching The Help, I was constantly surprised. At first, the movie seemed to me a simple story a young woman trying to become a well known writer collecting testimonies of black maids; but is so much under it. There is a society that lives in a perfect but paradoxical situation. This is formed by small families, in which neither of the parents have time to raise their children, so that job is done by a black maid, which in some cases are treat like a slave. The relation between the housewife and the maid is ruled by an unbreakable protocol; the black employees must use another bathroom than the family, different dishes to eat, not share food or drink with a white person and not touch a white adult because they can spread disease; but, and here is the paradox, they can take care of the children. Another paradox is that the white people treat the blacks as if they were animals, when twenty years ago, they criticized the Germans for their treatment of the Jews. I know that those things are on different levels, but both violet human rights.
There are two things in the movie that are remarkable: the influence of the society in a single person and how that can make the difference between someone who discriminate black people (in contact with the society) and someone who treats them as equals (isolated from the society). The other thing is a concept, the idea that a small action (gathering stories or telling your own) can mean a big change in human mentality.
This film deals with issues from different perspectives, but that is only complete with dazzling performances and a strong screenplay.
skanteaJan 9, 2012
"To Kill a Mockingbird" came out 50 years ago and the film (and most likely the novel) are far superior to this film in every way. It wouldn't be fair to compare this to such an obvious classic except for the fact that I keep hearing rumors"To Kill a Mockingbird" came out 50 years ago and the film (and most likely the novel) are far superior to this film in every way. It wouldn't be fair to compare this to such an obvious classic except for the fact that I keep hearing rumors of it being Oscar worthy. The classic film, of course, has the iconic 'white savior' played by Gregory Peck, but the character is portrayed as a complex man of pure ethics grappling with the issues of his time in a way that isn't clueless about his actions and understands full well the danger he's placing himself and his family in when he decides to cross the hard coded color lines. This Skeeter character is more concerned with advancing her career by being controversial than making real change. In short this film is a Disnified version of 1960's race relations, pretty to look at and light on meaning.
And if you haven't seen "To Kill a Mockingbird", do it ASAP. You'll be shocked at how it doesn't hesitate to challenge the audience. After all this time it still has the power to really make you think about Race and Class.
MovieMachineJan 9, 2012
Sweet, momentous, and sometimes pretentious, this film has almost nothing wrong with it. It's like that sweet homemade dish that isn't your favorite, but when you look back on it, it has nothing wrong with it at all. Exceptional acting,Sweet, momentous, and sometimes pretentious, this film has almost nothing wrong with it. It's like that sweet homemade dish that isn't your favorite, but when you look back on it, it has nothing wrong with it at all. Exceptional acting, deserving awards in every corner of the cast, emotion, drive, importance, and some spices of tears and some spices of comedy. it's one of those special movies that will definitely make you laugh, and definitely make you cry. Most importantly, though, it will definitely make you care. And that's what this film succeeds in doing. It puts you in the shoes of Skeeter and makes you feel painfully for the undermined and underprivileged blacks in 1960 Jackson, Mississippi. Definitely a keeper. Expand
katharineclarkJan 4, 2012
This movie was so enjoyable. From the rich characters (both good and evil), the writing and pretty sets and costumes. This story could have easily devolved into sappy schlock, but I think for the most part it felt genuine. Of all the femaleThis movie was so enjoyable. From the rich characters (both good and evil), the writing and pretty sets and costumes. This story could have easily devolved into sappy schlock, but I think for the most part it felt genuine. Of all the female centered stories of the South, this is one of the better movies to have come along in a long time. Expand
cosmic_shameJan 3, 2012
A little too long. Fair editing and screenplay. Doesnt have new things to say. And a bad finale. Gets its power from three actresses (Spencer, Chastain, Davis).
RobinsNestJan 2, 2012
Amid much fanfare I reluctantly watched The Help. Unless it was a true story or based on such, the subject was uninteresting. Yet I gave this long film a shot. The idea of black women raising rich white children in the south, is not foreignAmid much fanfare I reluctantly watched The Help. Unless it was a true story or based on such, the subject was uninteresting. Yet I gave this long film a shot. The idea of black women raising rich white children in the south, is not foreign even to those of us in the north. At one time we had such a person but more a helper not a parent substitute. The characters seemed stock and what happens is rote. Some performances were very good especially by Ms Davis, Ms Spencer, and Ms Chastain. There are no surprises here. It seems to have struck a chord with women but it could not sustain my interest for 2.5 hours. In summary, some strong performances, mildly interesting subject, but mundane and too long. Expand
Potter17Dec 23, 2011
Though it doesn't go deep on its polemic themes to makes this story a shocking, intense one, "The Help" stars an amazing ensemble cast whose charismatic performances are enough to glow even the toughest-heart.
jimmytancrediDec 20, 2011
The director Tate Taylor bet in simple stories in the design of the Crusades and that was his biggest hit, the film ended up making a decoy of both public as prizes, should appeal to all audiences, despite being a drama.

It exposed the

It exposed the relationship of black women working as maids in the 60's, in Mississippi, in a clear time of racial segregation, to white households, some other stories of humiliation and misery, are reported by these women who had to be strong to endure so much suffering, to see it all on the perspective of our current reality, then becomes a bit shocking, and this is not even a movie or the most violent and crude about it, some passages will even invest in a tone comic, which becomes a relief, before so many sad looks.

The female cast of the film is marvelous, Viola Davis is a wonder, and it's my favorite for the Oscars, her work moves a lot and is very realistic, Octavia Spencer is another that seems lit, fully immersed in character, for sure will be remembered for this movie. Emma Stone, here, only confirms her "Star Quality", which had already shown long ago, showed that not only holds the cast of a movie studio, as she is still a great actress, who also gives a show in the drama, since we are more accustomed to see her doing comedy. Bryce Dallas Howard is ridiculous and overwrought, like a villain from a novel by Walcyr Carrasco. In this cast, the men characters are quite rifeless and do not make much difference onto, here the strength is the in women.

By all means most people will love the movie, and absolutely most critics will find several defects. Here's what I think: The film is pure cliché, especially in the final forty minutes and applies for a retrial very cheap sentiment to please the general public. There are quite a few points made in the film just to make the viewer feel good. But you know what? It worked very well. It has stirred and felt good. It was a very pleasant experience and I cheer up for the nomination for Best Supporting Actress, which I believe will eventually happen.
heyitsmegrif4Dec 17, 2011
It is incredibly hard to sit through because you get so angry, but its incredible performances and comedy make up for it. I almost gave this movie a bad rating,but I give this movie 60% of a good movie.
Khunter4382Dec 17, 2011
A powerful film......difficult to watch at times, but it all rings true and painful. The performances are all top-notch with Davis offering the most truthful one. This film is really nothing new, but it still makes for a good story and sendsA powerful film......difficult to watch at times, but it all rings true and painful. The performances are all top-notch with Davis offering the most truthful one. This film is really nothing new, but it still makes for a good story and sends a good-hearted message. It was easily worth the price of a rental! Expand
aozetaDec 10, 2011
Surely, this will be among the bests for this year and of the decade. Great acting from the cast--perfect ensemble. Great story, great screenplay. Looks like this will be one of the front-runners in the 2012 Oscars.

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
wishmasterNov 30, 2011
Moving, realistic, funny, very well crafted, great story I loved, Viola, Spencer and Chestain spectacular, also the cast that made this movie was a charm.
movieboyNov 20, 2011
I'm only contributing because of the inane responses by some "viewers." Too many people have already lauded this excellent movie for me to add much of substance. I was deeply disturbed by the movie and the inhumane manner in which so manyI'm only contributing because of the inane responses by some "viewers." Too many people have already lauded this excellent movie for me to add much of substance. I was deeply disturbed by the movie and the inhumane manner in which so many whites treated their black employees. For the Nashville dude who wonders - "this movie's too hard to understand," it's about racism buddy, u know the South. And for the other dude who says we know all this already, it needs to be repeated over and over - this is how Americans treated other Americans because of their skin color! A great movie. Expand
ShiiraNov 7, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What happens in Mississippi, stays in Mississippi. For the next few weeks, as part of their missing persons investigation involving three civil rights workers, last seen registering black people to vote, Agent Rupert Anderson knows that some tough sledding is in store for he and his younger, somewhat green partner, so to lighten the mood, he sings a KKK rally song, which inspires Agent Alan Ward to complain that he "can do without the cabaret," because the Kennedy boy just doesn't "share [his] sense of humor." In kind, the former redneck sheriff responds, "Sometimes that's all you have left." Later in Alan Parker's "Mississippi Burning", after the church bombings and lynching, you know, your garden variety Klan mischief, Ward asks, "What's wrong with these people?" clearly aghast at the unrelenting and pervasive ugliness of your typical segregated town. Now he understands that the old man never meant to be ha-ha funny. In record time, he reaches the same point of resignation which inspired Rupert to drive past the state limits, so many years ago. "These people crawled out of the sewer Mr. Ward, maybe the gutter is where we should be," yells Anderson, when he tries to convince the principled straight arrow FBI man that the time for diplomacy is over. Being black, Minnie knows the feeling first-hand, so the maid gets down and dirty, just like her enemies, when she decides to fight the power. "The Help", in addition to being lambasted by critics for telling a black story from a white perspective(the same kneejerk reaction that greeted "Mississippi Burning", even though the 1988 film largely transcended its racially-condescending narrative trappings, unlike other movies of its ilk, such as "Ghosts of Mississippi" and "The Long Walk Home"), the detractors also balk at its comedic moments. True enough, Jim Crow is nothing to laugh about, but, to reiterate Anderson's sentiment, "sometimes that's all you have left," therefore the maids laugh so as not to cry, the same defense mechanism which the filmmaker, and also, the audience uses to combat the horrors of institutionalized racism. So while the maids conspire in the kitchen against their white employers by laughing at Hilly's practice of "puttin' pencil marks on the toilet paper," it's only because Minnie chooses to put on a brave face for her best friend Aibileen. Like Agent Anderson, they laugh out of resignation. In the face of such abject humiliation, what other choice does the maid have? If she cries about it, then Hilly Holbrook, the housewife-turned-reactionary social activist who drums up neighborhood support for separate toilets, comes out the victor in the whole "coloreds only" bathroom dialogue. Worse still, were Minnie to get mad about the employer-enforced ban on having access to the indoor facilities, she'd probably end up in prison, just like Sofia in "The Color Purple", when the outspoken "Negro" insults the mayor's wife, and then for good measure, knocks out her husband. A person of color simply can't attack racism in that fashion. Agent Anderson can. because he's white, and in the barber shop scene from the Parker film, he does, purposely nicking Clinton with a straight-edge razor, before shoving the deputy's face against the mirror, and through gritted teeth, says, "You got a stupid smile, you know that, pal?" which is to say that the sheriff's right-hand man has a s*it-eating grin. Since Minnie's arsenal for revenge precludes any sort of physical contact with her employer(conversely, the FBI agent was just getting warmed up; he ends up tossing Clinton around the shop like a ragdoll), not without some serious repercussions, so "The Help" employs the maid with the next-best available weapon: comedy, in order to settle an old score, while at the same time, maintaining her status as a free woman. Given that the social context is segregated Mississippi, and not swinging London(the setting for "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"), where eating s*it has a chance of being funny, the chocolate pie which Minnie laces with her own feces, in a sense, acts as a performative violence, and not the puerile hijinks that the film's critics purport it to be. This is not a gross-out comedy, after all; it's a gross-out drama, in which the grotesquerie masterminded by the subjugated black female can't begin to match the grotesquerie of the racist milieu that she is powerless to overcome. To be fair, the critics have a legitimate gripe, in regard to the writer as being another example of the trope familiar to this genre: the white savior who is going to save black mankind, but unlike "To Kill a Mockingbird", where the film is told through Scout's eyes, the narrative belongs, not to Skeeter, but to Aibileen. "The Help" ends with the suggestion that the maid will write a book of her own. "The Invisible Woman", perhaps, an answer to the 1952 National Book Award-winning novel by Ralph Ellison. Expand
nashville13Nov 1, 2011
this movie's too hard to understand..... i think that a movie shoud have Understandable Plot,Clear Motive, and a movie should also be entertaining.i think this movie looked more likely a documentary than a movie.
jillmacintyreOct 27, 2011
I cannot understand who doesn't love this movie ! It was amazing. That's literally the only work to describe it. Great adaptation from the book, and the actresses didn't disappoint at all! Funny, charming, sad, rage inducing, hilarious, andI cannot understand who doesn't love this movie ! It was amazing. That's literally the only work to describe it. Great adaptation from the book, and the actresses didn't disappoint at all! Funny, charming, sad, rage inducing, hilarious, and moments that make tear up, it's the perfect movie about racism in the south. Truly amazing. I'm not a crier, but i bawled at the ending. LOVED it. LOVELOVELOVE. Expand
Knicksfan7Oct 13, 2011
Finally saw this movie the other day after it being in my theater for over 2 months. Everybody whose ever walked out of this movie is always pleased and tells me how great of a movie it was, and some even say its been their 4th or 5th timeFinally saw this movie the other day after it being in my theater for over 2 months. Everybody whose ever walked out of this movie is always pleased and tells me how great of a movie it was, and some even say its been their 4th or 5th time seeing it! I had the same reaction. I walked out of this movie very pleased indeed. It was veryy good, excellent performances all around from everybody in the film. Emma Stone is becoming a phenomenal actress. Don't shy away from the lenghty running time, you don't even realize you've been in the theater for 2.5 hours. It's the opposite of a movie that makes you give constant double takes at your phone, you will be engaged, interested, and you will fall deep into the story and the emotions of the characters. Fantastic movie based of a fantastic story. 9.5/10 Expand
Bama72Oct 1, 2011
This was the most amazingly wonderful movie. I had been avoiding it because I thought it was going to be a depressing downer but I am now so glad that I went to see it. We need to be reminded that there are everyday incredible heroes thatThis was the most amazingly wonderful movie. I had been avoiding it because I thought it was going to be a depressing downer but I am now so glad that I went to see it. We need to be reminded that there are everyday incredible heroes that are the reason that we slowly make this world a better place. The acting was awesome, Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis were great as were Emma Stone and Bryce Dallas Howard. Direction was splendid. This movie drew me in and kept me there. Wonderful. Expand
gunnyartSep 30, 2011
Admirable effort but I'm not sure it lived up to all the hype. I'm a pushover for a tear jerker but was never moved to that point. The characters (both white and black) may have been authentic to the early sixties but having not lived throughAdmirable effort but I'm not sure it lived up to all the hype. I'm a pushover for a tear jerker but was never moved to that point. The characters (both white and black) may have been authentic to the early sixties but having not lived through those time they felt sort of cartoonish and unbelievable to me. I hope for a day when stories of racial prejudice aren't entertaining because we can no longer relate to them. Expand
HallieSep 24, 2011
It wasn't as "amazing" as I was told but I did enjoy it! I didn't care for the ending. I need closure when watching a movie and you definitely don't get that. The acting was great.
CincinnatiDaveSep 19, 2011
This was a beautifully filmed period drama that will be nominated, but won't win, for the Best Picture Oscar. The acting category, on the other hand, is a different story. Viola Davis gives the performance of a lifetime, and she deserves toThis was a beautifully filmed period drama that will be nominated, but won't win, for the Best Picture Oscar. The acting category, on the other hand, is a different story. Viola Davis gives the performance of a lifetime, and she deserves to win an Oscar. Emma Stone, Jessica Chastain, and Bryce Dallas Howard also give very strong performances in this slightly tedious and lengthy film. A bit of trimming would have helped the pace tremendously. Expand
BelmsherSep 19, 2011
It let me down how much this movie pales in comparison to book, not that it doesn't happen often but in this particular case this is so blatantly true, since most of the emotional and clever pieces were left aside. Still I have to bow downIt let me down how much this movie pales in comparison to book, not that it doesn't happen often but in this particular case this is so blatantly true, since most of the emotional and clever pieces were left aside. Still I have to bow down before Viola Davis, whose performance is supreme. Expand
RyanPrattSep 12, 2011
Rent-it - This racially hyper film about some extraordinary women in Mississippi during the 1960s is carried by its talented cast who make it a touching and satisfactory drama.
CitizenCharlieSep 8, 2011
The Help is at once a joy to watch for its absorbing yet haunting story and for the superior acting by Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. On the other hand, it is nauseating at times to suffer through the scenes of outright cruelty perpetratedThe Help is at once a joy to watch for its absorbing yet haunting story and for the superior acting by Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. On the other hand, it is nauseating at times to suffer through the scenes of outright cruelty perpetrated by the white women of the south in the early 1960s. It is one thing to read about Jim Crow in a book or listen to an old person nowadays discussing what it was like, but to see reenactments of just how dehumanizing and vindictive the times were is just unsettling. This is an important story, fictional yes, but representative of a time and a place which reminds the audience just how ashamed we should be at aspects of our past.

A few decades ago in the south, it was commonplace for a white family to employ a black maid. Maid is an all encompassing term for house cleaner, cook, nanny, grocery shopper, butler, and every other menial task you could think of. They potty trained the toddlers, read them stories, and pretty much raised the children instead of their mothers who were enjoying that afternoonâ
jdicksteihnSep 5, 2011
The director, Tate Taylor, knows exactly how he wants the audience to feel about every character and every scene. He leaves almost no room for you to make up your own mind and so the deck continually feels stacked. You're not watchingThe director, Tate Taylor, knows exactly how he wants the audience to feel about every character and every scene. He leaves almost no room for you to make up your own mind and so the deck continually feels stacked. You're not watching reality unfold, you're watching propaganda. Bryce Dallas Howard's character is set up to represent the racist white south. But her character is so devoid of any redeeming qualities that she feels like a straw-woman, and the effect is that the movie says very little other than "bad people are bad". Most insulting to the audience's intelligence, the last 45 minutes of the film consist of 6 or 7 manipulative tear-jerk-er scenes in a row. Complete with swelling "please cry" music, a forced break up scene, a "group standing up and applauding" scene, and a "crying child saying goodbye" scene. No movie cliche' is spared. I think this would be less objectionable in a film about young lovers, or a boy and his dog. But when you are making a movie about "the help" in the south, a minority group whose story has (according to the premise of the movie) not been told, then you owe it to them, I think, to just tell the story and leave out the "tear-jerk-er" play book. So I'd go beyond saying this is a bad movie. It is a socially irresponsible movie that sets itself up to be something it isn't: the story of "the help". Peeking through all the stupid Hollywood tricks is Viola Davis, whose performance suggests to us that underneath this trite movie was a real complicated story to be told, about real people. It is rare that an actor can transcend material like this, and the movie is worth seeing just for that amazing feat.

But besides all this, you know a movie has no interest in reality when the strikingly beautiful Emma Stone, in full makeup and fashionable clothing, is sold as the 23 year old girl who has never been on a date. Change that plot point or change the actress.
retiredat56Sep 4, 2011
My wife grew up in the south and wanted to see this movie. Not excited to be there, I expected it to be melodramatic and unmoving. The story is all too real even if the characters are fictional. The acting is excellent. It is the story ofMy wife grew up in the south and wanted to see this movie. Not excited to be there, I expected it to be melodramatic and unmoving. The story is all too real even if the characters are fictional. The acting is excellent. It is the story of real courage in difficult times. Even if as predictable as Titanic, it is well done and worth seeing. Expand
lahaineSep 4, 2011
The Help is a racially themed film that's probably a bit too pretty and crowd pleasing. Getting down to the gritty meat of the matter would have been a far more effective way of telling this story, rather than the fluffy-comedic style we get;The Help is a racially themed film that's probably a bit too pretty and crowd pleasing. Getting down to the gritty meat of the matter would have been a far more effective way of telling this story, rather than the fluffy-comedic style we get; sprinkled with instances of tears and drama. Despite this, its light tone made it quite entertaining and the instances of drama were natural and fluid. Its colourful cast shines, particularly Dallas Howard, Davis and (the adorable) Jessica Chastain. And the colourful character-serving costume designs shine as well. Comparing this flick to the Blind Side is an insult. Despite its light material, it dealt with the racial matter with a bit more depth rather than the blatant charity root (taken by the Blind side). This is an okay movie with a lot of personality but it could use a bit more heft. Expand
TindleBay14Sep 1, 2011
To me this is one of those movies that is just off of being really good, but it is just missing a few little pieces that would make it special. It was still an enjoyable couple of hours considering the other movies in local theatres right now.
cleverwabbitAug 31, 2011
I loved this movie, I think it portrays a very important time, that wasn't so long ago. The cast is pitch perfect, and it is a well executed all around film.
Allessio77Aug 29, 2011
I remember the "help" when I was a boy in PA. They were the most important individuals back then, because the raised us. We foolishly looked down on then and teased them, but we knew they loved us. This movie is their story. It's low keyedI remember the "help" when I was a boy in PA. They were the most important individuals back then, because the raised us. We foolishly looked down on then and teased them, but we knew they loved us. This movie is their story. It's low keyed but passionate. Expand
bigfreAug 29, 2011
I enjoyed this movie although I never read the book I still went to go see it and I thought this movie was good it showed that emma stone can other movies that are not comedy over all it was great movie.
DrussmdAug 28, 2011
This movie was simply GREAT! My grandmothers, aunts, and mother all did housework for whites in the South during this period. This film really showed me how degrading this work could be, literally a step up from slavery. No one ever viewedThis movie was simply GREAT! My grandmothers, aunts, and mother all did housework for whites in the South during this period. This film really showed me how degrading this work could be, literally a step up from slavery. No one ever viewed it from their perspective. It was a tearjerker, but still funny. It was excellently paced and superbly acted. If you can't get out of your own life for 1.5 hours, and appreciate another's struggles and victories then this is not the film for you. Those people who sell this movie short really disappoint me, because I have seen many, many movies and consider myself to have "high brow" tastes, but was so pleasantly surprised by the quality of this movie. This is literally the best movie out there right now, especially if you are tired of Hollywood summer blockbusters (I know that I sure am). Expand
NeverLiftAug 28, 2011
"The Help" tells us nothing new. Anybody who didn't know what it had to say has been in a coma for over half a century. But that isn't my problem with it.

Rather, it is a mawkish, sophomoric, soporifically paced, predictable, grotesquely populated, "young adult" CHIC FLIC. Think of sitting through "Steel Magnolias" with a mixed race cast and "We Shall Overcome" as its incidental music. Twice. Non-stop.

We need a new rating system, one that advises single adult males that attending particular movies can be injurious to their sanity. Since I was stuck in the middle of a full row, I refrained from disturbing my neighbors and so sat through the entire four and a half hours of it. (It wasn't that long? It sure seemed like it.) My desire, after the first fifteen minutes, was to leave, running to find the nearest sports bar as an antidote. And I hate sports bars.
buellerbuellerAug 27, 2011
This is so far the best movie of the year. This film has the best cast of any film since "Inception". Viola Davis, of course, stands out as the best, but so does her best friend, Minnie, played by Octavia Spencer. While people focus on theseThis is so far the best movie of the year. This film has the best cast of any film since "Inception". Viola Davis, of course, stands out as the best, but so does her best friend, Minnie, played by Octavia Spencer. While people focus on these two, there are many others who are ignored. Allison Janney delivers her trademark comedic but stern performance, Cicely Tyson is great but short, Jessica Chastain gives the best dumb blonde ever, and Bryce Dallas Howard is wicked and shocking. But Emma Stone gives the second best performance of the movie, who is like a pre-tabloid Lindsay Lohan mixed with Julia Roberts. Her wits, charm, and dialogue are what makes her a beacon in a dark movie. Besides the cast, the writing, art direction, cinematography, costumes, and makeup are highlights. I also loved the ending song, which should be nominated for an Oscar. Possibly the best drama film I've seen. Period. Expand
IronmongerAug 27, 2011
It was a very good movie that depicted the lives of black maids back during the time of Martin Luther king jr. It shows their rough lives and how a woman plans on publishing a book about their lives and experiences. The black people wereIt was a very good movie that depicted the lives of black maids back during the time of Martin Luther king jr. It shows their rough lives and how a woman plans on publishing a book about their lives and experiences. The black people were treated very inhumanly in those days, sometimes seen as property. This movie did a great job at showing all of this happening. The acting was great, the history was accurate, and you felt part of their story. The ending was happy and sad, but you enjoyed it the whole time. It had many very funny scenes too!!! Many that you will be repeating for days!!!! Expand
scrieciuAug 26, 2011
Emma Stone plays Skeeter, a young women who writes a book about the lives of the black maids, who had been treated awfully, in order to help them by expressing their point of view threw the book. I haven't heard of '' The Help '', until a dayEmma Stone plays Skeeter, a young women who writes a book about the lives of the black maids, who had been treated awfully, in order to help them by expressing their point of view threw the book. I haven't heard of '' The Help '', until a day before it was released, so I didn't had any intention to see it at first. I gave it a chance, and it was a wonderful movie. This might be nominated for best motion picture of the year. The story really captivated me, and you could feel anger for the white people who mistreated black people. That's just not right. Also, in some scenes, the humor was at the right time, which was hilarious. The movie is 145 minutes long (2 hours and 25 minutes), but the plot is so interesting, that you don't feel like it's never going to end. There was this funny scene when Minny Jackson (played by Octavia Spencer) totally owned Hilly Holbrook (played by Bryce Dallas Howard). You will find out when you will see it. Everybody did a great job in their performance. It's a surprisingly good movie, one of the best this year. Expand