The Hot Spot

7.6

1. May 22, 2011
    I feel this movie misses its point, maybe being too much a straight-forward. Sometimes, I could feel the book (that I never read) which the movie is from being shredded up to fit in a 2-hour movie. Lack of subtlety from both the three main characters, thought great acting from them all. I felt both sorry and relieved that the movie was over...
  2. stuart
    Aug 22, 2005
    To a non american, this film grabs the idea of how life in middle america is perfectly, though deep down we know not be true, it still great for the imagination.

Seeps with atmosphere, unfolds at a deceptively relaxed pace, steadily accumulates noirish grit, then dizzily plunges into a Lynch-like plumbing of the dark passions and nasty secrets at the heart of Main Street, USA.
  2. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Dave Kehr
    Pretty silly. The Hot Spot certainly is, and it's occasionally quite entertaining for it, though the picture never really achieves a dimension beyond that of a Playboy Party Joke. [26 Oct 1990, Friday, p.I]
  3. Los Angeles Times
    Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    The pulpiness is less homage than rip-off. There are no tricks up this film's frayed sleeve… Fatalism plus a lot of heavy breathing, and a flash of skin--it's a winning formula, all right. These movies are like Harlequin Romances for slumming highbrows [12 Oct 1990]