Columbia Pictures | Release Date: August 22, 2008
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 71 Ratings
Watch Now
CSW.Oct 13, 2008
Terrible disappointment. Could have been very cute, but mishandled and badly written so it ended up a mess. Don't waste your money.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
MichaelN.Dec 27, 2008
This movie was absolutely hysterical. Anna's character was very funny, and it was consistent throughout the entire movie. It is by far the funniest movie of 2008, in my opinion. I would've prefered tohave the character Carrie May This movie was absolutely hysterical. Anna's character was very funny, and it was consistent throughout the entire movie. It is by far the funniest movie of 2008, in my opinion. I would've prefered tohave the character Carrie May shown a little bit more than she was, as she was insanely funny during the parts she was in. Katharine McPhee probably gets the prize for best performance in the movie. She played her part perfectly, and she definitely has a future in acting. I like how most of the cast was semi- famous actors and actresses, because they are notable, and good, but at the same time, therewasn't really too high of an expectation for the movie. However, I think it was one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
JessiB.Sep 9, 2008
I am in a sorority with the same short name of
JamesC.Oct 2, 2008
Well, me and 4 friends wanted to see a movie. 2 of us wanted to see The House Bunny, and the other two (one being me) wanted to see something else... But, since The House Bunny was immediately playing, we all bought tickets and went in. I Well, me and 4 friends wanted to see a movie. 2 of us wanted to see The House Bunny, and the other two (one being me) wanted to see something else... But, since The House Bunny was immediately playing, we all bought tickets and went in. I saw the commercials, and in all honesty, it didn't appeal to me, so as the previews went by, I thought to myself "oh joy, here comes a below mediocre ride". However, I will admit, that at the end, yes, I liked it. I actually liked it. It was funny in some parts, and dry in some, but it was alright, and yes, I liked it. My major criticism though is that a most of the film takes place in a college dorm; in this dorm lives, of course, college students. So why don't any of these students do to class, have homework, projects, assignments, or even so much as TALK about classes? This film has practically NOTHING to do with college. My other criticism is that about 1/4 through the movie, the 7 (I believe) 'nerdy' and socially-unacceptable girls change in appearance and personality; after they changed, I could not recognize them at all (well, I suppose after awhile I could pick out 3 of them). Also, I think their dramatic shift from uncool to 'fabulous' was way too early in the film, and basically consisted of a 1-minute montage consisting of lots and lots of make-up being applied. So yes, The House Bunny has it's laughs, but it's not without it's theme issues. Also, prepare to be confused as to which character is which, if you decide to watch. Expand
ShaunXAug 22, 2008
Really an 8, but I wanted to temper all the other bad scores. Not really a good movie, but it's really funny, especially if you like Anna Faris' dumb blond humor that she is so good at.
DanielC.Aug 24, 2008
Wait for this one to come out on DVD. There are funny parts, but nothing to rush to the theater for.
ChadS.Aug 26, 2008
Twenty was antediluvian in Menudo years. In the house of "wome-nudo", it's twenty-seven. Beauty and brains, that's the happy medium all women should hanker for, because that's "what boys like". A sensitive "boy" like Twenty was antediluvian in Menudo years. In the house of "wome-nudo", it's twenty-seven. Beauty and brains, that's the happy medium all women should hanker for, because that's "what boys like". A sensitive "boy" like Oliver(Colin Hanks), who looks after oldsters in a retirement home, prizes scintillating dinner conversation above a gravity-defying rack, right? In "The House Bunny", a homeless bunny imparts her Playboy ideology to some ostracized sorority girls, who in return, help Shelley(Anna Faris) feel better about herself when they point the "dumb blonde" in the direction of the nearest library. Since "The House Bunny" never shows these nerdy girls excelling in the classroom, or anything to compensate for their lack of success with the opposite sex, looking f***able is the only currency that matters. To suggest that Shelly needs a cerebral cortex makeover is disingenuous, at best, in a film that received Hugh Hefner's endorsement. While Natalie(Emma Stone) gets her man by being the best version of herself, Shelly wins Oliver over without ever having to read another book. The fact that Shelley turns down a chance to be a Playboy centerfold is beside the point. She's still hopelessly vapid. No man ever dates a woman for her brains. Expand
TheQuietGamerApr 11, 2012
Both a failure and a success, it fails at being a good comedy or movie, but succeeds in getting it's point across, that looks aren't everything and that everyone is beautiful on the inside, but for most of the movie you stuck sufferingBoth a failure and a success, it fails at being a good comedy or movie, but succeeds in getting it's point across, that looks aren't everything and that everyone is beautiful on the inside, but for most of the movie you stuck suffering through unfunny and boring moments, however it does have one or two absolutely hilarious parts, and I like I said it has a sweet message, but it's not worth slogging through the movie, and it's I honestly can't recommend this, and as a huge Happy Madison productions fan I'm really disappointed, so unless you just have to watch everything Happy Madison makes you can safely pass on this one. Expand
marnee96Nov 13, 2011
Although The House Bunny is a very typical, formulaic comedy, it still is funny and sends an important message about inner beauty. 2 1/2 out of 4 stars.
cameronmorewoodNov 7, 2012
It just basically consists of Anna Faris walking around wide-eyed and talking slowly like there's a question mark at the end of every damn sentence.
MeritCobaJan 4, 2016
The playmate Shelley Darlington is told to leave the Playboy Mansion because of her age and finds new purpose by becoming a house mother for the Zeta Alpha Zeta sorority which is about to be shut down due to a lack of members. Shelly, withThe playmate Shelley Darlington is told to leave the Playboy Mansion because of her age and finds new purpose by becoming a house mother for the Zeta Alpha Zeta sorority which is about to be shut down due to a lack of members. Shelly, with her boundless sexy optimism transforms the oddball members into sexy damsels who, like honey and bees, attract the interest of the boys, which makes the sorority interesting for the female students to join in turn. At the end the misfits revolt but the sorority is saved nevertheless by a deus ex machina.

The overall story is a ship that flounders over the ocean steering away from anything uncomfortable that might contain a deeper message to run aground on the shore of mediocrity.
The fact that Shelly has a due date because of her looks is quickly stepped over and doesn't result in anything more than the remark: oh, but 27 isn't that old! So 28 is? Or 29? Or 30?
That the oddballs are easily turned into sexy ladies shows a missed opportunity for some fireworks. Why are the women so ready to submit to being objects of lust for men? Non of the ladies seem to have problems with that. Are non of them lesbian? Or from some social or religious background that frowns on these things? Or even themselves not ready to stoop that low? A confrontation between Shelly and the grumpy Mona seemed in the make, but Mona's resistance quickly evaporates after some quibbling. It is not to be had.
The Zetas apparently live in social isolation for no friends or family members show up to protest the loss of their individuality and personality. It is not only nonsensical but it also fails to make use of the material that lies there. People are not malleable like that, but for the sake of the movie they are.
Near the end the movie turns it around again and shoves us the 'be yourself' message down the throat. Another contrived concept that belies reality. And thus the movie misses every opportunity to stand out one way or the other.

The problem is that the movie is neither fish nor fowl. It is not light enough to be just a silly funny movie with an upbeat message and not heavy enough to make for a social drama of sorts that challenges our thinking. Instead it kind of does everything in a haphazard way without doing much with anything specifically.
The low down: a cute idea but the execution fails because the movie is too afraid to provoke or raise questions. It is a safe movie with a vapid message and thus easily forgettable. A missed opportunity either way.

Anna Farris deserves most of the credit as she not only saves the sorority but also the movie.
SEROJMar 28, 2013
Nothing special. But you may like it. I think it's not bad but i don't think it's good either. My score for the House Bunny is 4/10 because i can't decide are you going to like it or not...it depends on you.. for me..it's nothing special.
sammurphy66Jul 23, 2014
Mostly due to the comedic talent irresistible charm of Anna Faris - The House Bunny is as brainless as its protagonist, but moderately amusing in its own way.
MissDraeMar 2, 2014
Hilarious. Once again Anna Faris is able to make me laugh uncontrollably. I love her portrayal of Shelley Darlington. It is a delight to watch her act.
choomtabi31Feb 1, 2016
This movie is too funny. Anna Faris is hilarious. She plays vapid very well, like another Goldie Hawn.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-630-The-House-Bunny-online-free