7.9

1. Nov 22, 2013
    I really liked The Hunger Games, it was truly different, original and overall very entertaining and touching. Catching fire is a really big improvement on the first Hunger Games, no shaky cameras first of all. Not always that we get good sequels, this middle installment of a great upcoming trilogy is fun, although gripping and violent, entertaining for everyone looking for a good time.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    The first hour or so of this movie is wonderful. It really fleshes out the setting of the sci-fi dystopia seen only very briefly in the first movie. The second half is a train wreck of improbable circumstances and impossible to follow action scenes. People just seem to... DO THINGS for no explainable reason. I've never seen a movie go from pretty good to horrible beyond saving so quickly.The first hour or so of this movie is wonderful. It really fleshes out the setting of the sci-fi dystopia seen only very briefly in the first movie. The second half is a train wreck of improbable circumstances and impossible to follow action scenes. People just seem to... DO THINGS for no explainable reason. I've never seen a movie go from pretty good to horrible beyond saving so quickly. If you look closely you can spot where it happens. It's right around where the actual "Hunger Games" part begins. Expand
  3. Dec 31, 2013
    Beautifully shot and compelling throughout, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire captures the perfect essence and tone of the book while never straying away from it.
  4. Nov 10, 2014
    With a deeper exploration of the ones behind the Hunger Games, this sequel retains the glory of the book, adds an aura of political astuteness and obviously the brains and brawns of the cast.
  5. Nov 26, 2013
    This movie was really hyped and all of the movies these year with hype was disappointing with some exceptions. This one didn't disappoint at all and was clearly the best of the year. Best movie in a long time. There's everything hear for everyone. I loved it. 9.5/10
  6. Dec 9, 2013
    A decent movie with a sporty touch. A welcome change from the usual. The movie highlights the high and lows of the life of a sportsperson. The movie is engaging. For more on this, please visit:
  7. Dec 27, 2013
    It's just like the book, far better than the previous movie filled with drama and action! A must have and must see! It's easy to follow, emotional and brilliant!
  8. Mar 8, 2014
    It's living up to the name of the book in every details. So Hunger games : Catching Fire is good in all aspects. It's artificial but truthful when it talk about the world we are around. The scenario will not possible at all when thinking with today. But it is possible when all things concerned. It's truthful when comes to the human nature. So a perfect 10 is reasonable when the genre, theIt's living up to the name of the book in every details. So Hunger games : Catching Fire is good in all aspects. It's artificial but truthful when it talk about the world we are around. The scenario will not possible at all when thinking with today. But it is possible when all things concerned. It's truthful when comes to the human nature. So a perfect 10 is reasonable when the genre, the adaptation, story and the core message concerned. Expand
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    what the hell is this the plot makes absolutely no logical sense they all speck like the editor speed there voices up extremely high oh and wait for this **** when there are fun survival fights they put it in **** pitch black!!!!!! why so i had no idea what was going on all i knew that there was two people trying to fight these beasts from clearly something that is from matrix from wherewhat the hell is this the plot makes absolutely no logical sense they all speck like the editor speed there voices up extremely high oh and wait for this **** when there are fun survival fights they put it in **** pitch black!!!!!! why so i had no idea what was going on all i knew that there was two people trying to fight these beasts from clearly something that is from matrix from where they change things in the arena and why the hell dogs what the **** so wait wait wait you can make anything like a t-rex or a **** mecha but you make dogs what the **** and all the people in the arena are clearly rip offs of characters from one of the best games in the world tomb raider the main boy and girl are clearly laura croft and peter the other geologist and its appoling and the president is the profit from bioshcok infinity and well everyone else is a dochue thus movie is terrible how could anyone **** up a such a good plot like this Expand
  10. Jul 18, 2014
    Ya kids killing eachother, just what I wanted to see, sandy hook massacre must get even better ratings? You sick fuks? Me thinks not, no creativity whatsoever
  11. Dec 7, 2013
    A development upon the first film in many ways, Catching Fire does require a little more subtlety in the delivery of its overall message, but still combines glamour with violence and fleshes out a universe that has proved to be captivating and enthralling enough to maintain enough interest for the final installments.
  12. Mar 3, 2014
    I loved the first Hunger Games film, but I realized after watching it a second time it was merely a nice setup for something potentially greater. Catching Fire is excellent entertainment but it's the deeper plot and societal references that will grab you and keep you long after the action has faded. I didn't read any of the books, and as much as I'd like to after seeing the first twoI loved the first Hunger Games film, but I realized after watching it a second time it was merely a nice setup for something potentially greater. Catching Fire is excellent entertainment but it's the deeper plot and societal references that will grab you and keep you long after the action has faded. I didn't read any of the books, and as much as I'd like to after seeing the first two movies I almost want to hold off to maximize the impact of the movies. Maybe a "10" isn't a balanced score, but I am hard pressed to think of a movie in recent memory that had me so wired and on the edge of my seat. Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic and the cast surrounding her all turn in great performances as well. This Hunger Games is more visceral - I didn't want it to end, ever. We'll get Mockingjay to close out the trilogy and I was thrilled to hear that it will be a two-part movie. It's just sad to think that there can only be one more complete chapter in what has quickly become the coolest franchise since Harry Potter, especially as The Hobbit has turned out to be nothing special. To Danny Strong (screenwriter) I say: do us proud - Suzanne Collins' oversight will do wonders to keep the movies faithful, but it's your transition from literary fiction to silver-screen entertainment that needs to land the most. So excited. Expand
  13. Nov 26, 2013
    After Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) win the 74th games, they embark on a Victor's Tour. After that unpleasant expedition, they get dragged back into the 75th game. The first half of the film sets up the political and personal drama, while the jungle adventure is full of weird environmental challenges (as opposed to personal combat). Lawrence is grim and serious.After Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) win the 74th games, they embark on a Victor's Tour. After that unpleasant expedition, they get dragged back into the 75th game. The first half of the film sets up the political and personal drama, while the jungle adventure is full of weird environmental challenges (as opposed to personal combat). Lawrence is grim and serious. So is everybody else for that matter. The effects are fine, but the only visual fun comes from Elizabeth Banks' fabulous fashions. The action is adequate without being especially exciting or remotely inventive. This sequel is a lot more about drama and relationships and much less about action and sci-fi dazzle. Probably more popular with fans of the books, since it serves to set up the coming conflict. Expand
  14. Dec 26, 2013
    A very slow start for me....but the events before and during the ending was absolutely amazing. A great movie overall....
  15. Sep 24, 2014
    I don't get it. I just do not get it. The first Hunger Games was an unoriginal, monotonous mess. This film (while there are marginal improvements) is essentially a re-hash of the same thing. The first hour is almost a scene for scene re-enactment of the previous film just with a bit more of the bad guys doing bad guy things. Then finally the actual hunger games starts about 80 minutes inI don't get it. I just do not get it. The first Hunger Games was an unoriginal, monotonous mess. This film (while there are marginal improvements) is essentially a re-hash of the same thing. The first hour is almost a scene for scene re-enactment of the previous film just with a bit more of the bad guys doing bad guy things. Then finally the actual hunger games starts about 80 minutes in and 90% of it happens off screen while we're shown a bunch of exciting shots of our protagonists walking, sitting, climbing trees or struggling with their forced love triangle. It's a thrill ride.
    A big TV in the sky tells us that a bunch of disposable background characters died off screen which I guess we're supposed to care about but I can't help thinking it would've been way more involving if the main characters had come into some kind of conflict with them at any point rather than facing off against CGI smoke and monkies.
    Speaking of the main characters, there is no development on them from the first film. Katniss remains a sullen, brooding misery while Peeta continues to play the role of damsel in distress (much like the first film, almost every scene he is involved in features him moaning about something or needing to be rescued). The supporting characters like Finnick and Johanna are way more entertaining to watch since they actually have some semblance of a personality. Then there's Elizabeth Banks' horrific attempt at an English accent which is almost physically painful to the ear.
    So while I have to admit that this is an improvement on the first film, that really isn't saying much. It is beyond me why this is so popular. The story has been done before, the characters are completely unrelatable and the visuals and writing aren't exactly exceptional.
  16. Nov 29, 2013
    Crafty direction, good casting and prominent acting on its belt, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is an illustrious sequel with solid aspects throughout. Screenplay moves in tight pace, and to its credit, manages to fuse together complex social and political issues with the raw battle royal action sequences. This adds more tension and depth to the macabre rather than simple mindless killingCrafty direction, good casting and prominent acting on its belt, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is an illustrious sequel with solid aspects throughout. Screenplay moves in tight pace, and to its credit, manages to fuse together complex social and political issues with the raw battle royal action sequences. This adds more tension and depth to the macabre rather than simple mindless killing game of its peers, slowly drawing audience to invest more on the characters' and their predicaments. It's a more polished, better structured and choreographed movie than the first, odds are fans and audience in general will favor this second installment.

Fire of rebellion has been lit after the last Hunger Games. To ensure it won't spread any further President Snow (Donald Sutherland) makes Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), winners of the last Hunger Games, into glorified celebrities. They are tasked to pacify the crowd with faux romance, however things soon go awry and the hunt for lives begins anew. In almost mocking manner, it portrays contemporary and relatable issue with this other world analog. The overabundance of Capitol and constant oppression of lower districts are shown remarkably. It takes its time to convey the motivation of the characters and in the long run gives more profoundness to the ensuing Hunger Games.

Jennifer Lawrence does a good job as the leading protagonist, it's not often a woman has the role of the strong main character without blowing it out of proportion or resorting into promiscuous shots. She looks capable and also captivating yet possesses a restrained charm. The wardrobe does help tremendously in creating her persona, but she plays the role with good forte. .

Other more veteran actors, such as Philip Seymour Hoffman, Woody Harrelson or Donald Sutherland provide solid performances. Each of them plays their role with distinguished air. Younger newcomers provide exuberance and spunk, I personally like Johanna character as with her unbridled profanities. It’d be better to showcase more of the participants of the Games, but considering they need to trim the length into palatable time, it’s fairly understandable.

Setting for the movie is quite excellent, dyeing most of its vistas with greyish tone, in exception of several more outlandish settings which is sprayed with near excessive colors. It doesn’t forget to bring ridiculous make up, hairdo and costumes for the opulence display, perhaps to insinuate more of the social commentary. Wardrobe has seen relatively stranger clothing than most movies, they're just slightly more futuristic but still believable as casual wear. It doesn't use much grandiose effect which is fine since the human aspects are more apparent. Things would be less engaging if it goes into exaggerated futuristic theme.

Actions sequences are steadily performed smoother than the first title, there are no crazy stunts to be had nor does it use overwhelming amount of CG. Battle royal theme can be ironically redundant if the movie used unnecessary complex action. Catching Fire cleverly opts for more consistency in choreography and better pacing. Its theme song is quiet catchy, although somewhat repetitive. Overall ambiance of the movie is delivered in solemn hymn, which might not stand out too much on its own but fits pretty well.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire offers superior quality on all its elements; everything works well and even better together. Furthermore, it doesn't try to be anything it is not, only improving from what it already has. Not a lot of sequels, or adventure movie as a whole, can achieve that.
  17. Sep 2, 2014
    A superb follow-up to the the first of the series, Catching Fire proves the trilogy's worth amidst Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings. By Catching Fire, Jennifer Lawrence is well on her way to become America's finest young actress--ever present here.
  18. Nov 23, 2013
    With the sequel being more matured than its first movie as it explores deeper on the theme of the whole franchise and also providing more thrilling edge of your seat action, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire will lead both fans and viewers wanting more.
  19. Jun 16, 2014
    I love the story and the special effects are good. The only bad side to this movie is that sadly we've been here before with the first film. I think I sort of went in knowing what this film was going to be like. I wouldn't be surprised if the last two movies are scored lower than the first two. I think the first one is the best. Whenever a new movie comes out you don't know what to expect,I love the story and the special effects are good. The only bad side to this movie is that sadly we've been here before with the first film. I think I sort of went in knowing what this film was going to be like. I wouldn't be surprised if the last two movies are scored lower than the first two. I think the first one is the best. Whenever a new movie comes out you don't know what to expect, will it be good, or will it be bad? No one knows until someone sees it. The one thing I've seen over the years is in all genres especially in action and horror films the special effects have gotten way better. Catching Fire is an awesome sequel, but if there's one Hunger Game film to watch over and over again, it's without a doubt, the first film will always be the best. Expand
  20. Nov 24, 2013
    A thought provoking, visually impressive, and very engaging movie. Now, I'm not some fanboy who's going to say it was the best movie ever, because it's not, but it's still a noticeable improvement on the first film, which was good to begin with. The thing I can't quite get past is the lingering youth novel adaptation feel to the movie which it can't completely shake off, even though youA thought provoking, visually impressive, and very engaging movie. Now, I'm not some fanboy who's going to say it was the best movie ever, because it's not, but it's still a noticeable improvement on the first film, which was good to begin with. The thing I can't quite get past is the lingering youth novel adaptation feel to the movie which it can't completely shake off, even though you can tell that it badly wants to. It's somewhat hard to explain, but you can still tell that it's aimed at older teens and not adults. That's not to say that the movie is immature. In fact its narrative deals with some very mature issues such as fascism, human worth, and rebellion. It delves more deeply into the themes than the first movie did and shows more brutality at the hands of the tyrannical government regime. Jennifer Lawrence was good in Silver Linings Playbook, and all of her other films for that matter, but she's even better here. She shows
    extreme emotion more naturally than she has in the past and proves a great anchor for the franchise. The new director, Francis Lawrence, who's not related to Jennifer, directs everything a lot more smoothly than Gary Ross, especially the action. The larger budget also helps. Instead of merely being passable, the visual effects are now up there with the best of them. Overall the movie is very engaging and possesses some moments which are truly emotionally stirring, but it still lacks the rapturous grandeur and pure awe of films like Inception and Avatar, and the screenplay, which is good, lacks the precision of films like Zero Dark Thirty, or No Country for Old Men. But, it's still worth going out to see, and even worth buying once it hits DVD and Blue-Ray. I think it deserves Oscars, but that prospect is wildly unlikely. It might have a slight chance in the technical categories, but according to the current buzz, there's way too much competition this year for that to be probable either. We'll have to wait and see.
  21. Nov 28, 2013
    Catching Fire is a great improvement of it's predecessor. It deliver's good action, is quite eventful, evokes strong emotions, and is of course entertaining. For those on the fence about this film it is a good watch.

Immediately upon commencement I could tell the budget was bigger. It really shows because the Capital is shown in greater detail than previously, enabling us to see the contrast between it and District 12. Special effects are more interesting, and costumes are poignant and beautiful. Nothing looks cheap or bad.

The depiction of Panem being an unhappy to live in, except those in the capital, isn't featured as much in this movie. Instead we see people rising up again the 'peacekeepers' who come down like a hammer. I was definitely convinced these guys don't mess around and brutally suppress resistance. That said you certainly feel for these people and understand their plight.

Though this is an eventful movie I perceived it's story to be too rushed. I haven't read the book but as a film it jumps from scene to scene where one minute Katniss and Peeta are on a train, then addressing a village, then on a train again, then suddenly back in District 12. It's too disjointed which prevents complete immersion into it's world. I understand this is representative of their experience but it doesn't change my perception of this rushed story.

One the better films in 2013 with some stand out moments which will leave you somewhat excited for part 3.
  22. Dec 18, 2013
    Great improvement from the first Hunger Games, story in much more complex and interesting, more creative action scenes and truly breathtaking ending makes Catching Fire one of the best book adaptations!
  23. Dec 6, 2013
    It is a good movie ssccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
  24. Nov 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A lot of hype was set for this movie and for a great cause. The movie is a big improvement from the first movie, so if your worried for any shaky cams. don't worry you won't be seeing any of those in this movie. The acting of Jennifer Lawrence is again superb in this new installment of the trilogy, the supporting cast also does a terrific job at their roles. It does take some time until the games start because the hunger games is not the main focus of the movie, its the revolution that Katniss has started from the first movie. I like that about this movie but the movie got a bit dragging when it was in the middle of the games, because there were parts of the movie that should have been removed, the revolution was really cool but the hunger games part, was a bit dragged out. I still enjoyed the movie and I'm really excited for the next installment. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire gets a 9/10 Expand
  25. Nov 30, 2013
    Being an avid reader and both a movie lover, watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, was truly a satisfying experience. One of the pros to the film are that the actors display a wide range of emotion, especially Jennifer Lawrence. Usual actors will do their part, but Catching Fire's notable characters display deep and emotional realistic presence. The issue between Katniss and Peeta'sBeing an avid reader and both a movie lover, watching The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, was truly a satisfying experience. One of the pros to the film are that the actors display a wide range of emotion, especially Jennifer Lawrence. Usual actors will do their part, but Catching Fire's notable characters display deep and emotional realistic presence. The issue between Katniss and Peeta's growth remains a question, as like many movies these days, lack the ability to develop a relationship believably. Perhaps its the fact that the book is in first person, while the movie cannot delve into Katniss' feelings orally. Despite this minor flaw, Catching Fire provides a long, but durable and enjoyable experience with action, emotion, and convincingly acted scenes. Expand
  26. Nov 25, 2013
    people have to score these kind of things on its own way, i mean don't say the book was better than the movie blah blah each thing have to be different bc it'd make no sense seeing the same thing. so.. incredible movie.
  27. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best dystopian fiction holds a mirror up to our own society, extrapolating current trends to extreme endpoints. Here, in a grim future America, the gaudy citizens of the Capital lead lives of leisure amid the glittering spires of their neo-classical metropolis while the Appalachian miners of District 12 carve a meagre living straight out of the Great Depression. Every year, they are forced to participate in their oppressors’ sadistic version reality TV (with brilliantly over the top X-factor style commentary): the titular Hunger Games, an annual gladiatorial combat between children, in which the sole survivor emerges as victor.

The face of the revolution is the teenage Katniss (Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence) whose strong performance drives a film which is otherwise far from subtle. Yet there’s no doubt that this film is thoroughly exciting and engaging. For a start, the young actors here are miles better than the cast of the cheesy ‘80s slasher flicks I’ve been watching lately.

The visuals are fantastic and the cast is rounded out with both old and new blood, including Wood Harrelson as Katniss’ grizzled mentor, and Patrick Seymour Hoffman as the smooth talking new games master. Donald Sutherland returns as the villainous President Snow, his soft spoken exterior belying the brutal stranglehold he maintains on the populace.

One year after Katniss and her fellow ‘tribute’ Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) won the last Hunger Games, the president decrees that this year’s competitors will be drawn from the existing pool of victors (who believed they had earned their freedom); as if to deny that the games are anything more than a ritual execution.

So Katniss and Peeta must head back into the arena for a second round, facing twenty five years worth of combatants who’ve murdered their way out once already. While more time is devoted to the Games social impact and the brewing rebellion, there is a feeling that Catching Fire treads familiar ground. Much of the thematic material held true for the first film, and this instalment is little more than a continuation of the narrative. The biggest difference is that the battle is between veterans and not children.

Gary Ross hands the directorial reigns to Francis Lawrence, whose back catalogue, including Constantine (2005) and I am Legend (2007) suggests a darker sequel, though Lawrence inherits much of the design and atmosphere directly from his predecessor. This is ultimately delivered, yet we are treated to the inevitably unsatisfying cliff hanger as the narrative heads towards its presumably epic conclusion in next year’s Mockingjay.

The weakest part of the story is the attempted love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale which started in the last film. It pales in comparison to the wider struggle of the story and is perhaps wisely downplayed. Gale (Liam Hemsworth, who somehow has third billing) is a childhood friend of Katniss, but feels like a redundant character, appearing in very few scenes to give the TV a jealous glance whenever he sees Peeta, who has infinitely more screen time, but says and does less than he did in the last film.

The new police uniforms, a departure from the more standard half-visors seen in the first film, are a little too much like Star Wars storm troopers crossed with The Stig, and look downright bizarre when worn without a helmet. This undermines some of the intensity of the new police chief of District 12, who is otherwise brutal and intimidating.

As far as run time is concerned, so many of these epic fantasy novel adaptations are a little on the long side. At 146 minutes, Catching Fire is only quarter of an hour shorter than the somewhat bloated The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, the other film I saw this week. How much of a problem this becomes depends on your investment in the source material. I’ve not read any of the novels, so as a casual viewer, this felt a lot longer than The Hobbit, but I can imagine a lot of people feeling the opposite. That’s fine, but it can alienate those on the periphery of the fan base.

Alternatively, while I felt that some of the Harry Potter films had the potential to flash past in a series of semi-confusing vignettes for anyone unfamiliar with the books, I never felt lost in the narrative of this film, or the one that preceded it.
  28. Nov 27, 2013
    Overall it was a good movie...BUT, the ending was disappointing. I feel like it ended the movie while it still had some way to go. It's like you're talking in a conversation, and you end your conversation in the middle of it. It's just another moneymaker.
  29. Dec 11, 2013
    To put it simply this film is amazing. It's thrilling, captivating and unexpected at every turn. Despite it's impressive length as I sensed the ending coming I wished it wouldn't, and that's some of the highest praise I can give a movie. Whether it be the stunning visuals the perfectly suiting soundtrack or the fantastic story there's something here for everyone. The story is as touchingTo put it simply this film is amazing. It's thrilling, captivating and unexpected at every turn. Despite it's impressive length as I sensed the ending coming I wished it wouldn't, and that's some of the highest praise I can give a movie. Whether it be the stunning visuals the perfectly suiting soundtrack or the fantastic story there's something here for everyone. The story is as touching and heartfelt as it is exciting and brutally true to the world it's set in. Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson have great chemistry, elevating the story immeasurable lengths and the rest of the cast have outstanding performances Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson to name but a few. A must see for everyone Expand
  30. Dec 23, 2013
    The first movie was entertaining, but not a movie I'd want to see a second time. Some of the stuff, like Prim's name getting chosen was something we'd heard a thousand times. This movie is head and shoulders better; so many more surprises, better special effects, and at the ending, I couldn't stop smiling. (Not the ending right before the credits.) The point is, Catching Fire is an awesome film.
  31. Nov 30, 2013
    This movie actually exceeded my expectations, in the sense that it was well thought out, and debatably better than its predecessor. The effects were enhancing, and the storyline was easy to follow, yet the movie kept viewers engaged. I vicariously felt the pain characters had experienced with all of the obstacles thrust above them. This adaptation of the beloved teenage novel is a cutThis movie actually exceeded my expectations, in the sense that it was well thought out, and debatably better than its predecessor. The effects were enhancing, and the storyline was easy to follow, yet the movie kept viewers engaged. I vicariously felt the pain characters had experienced with all of the obstacles thrust above them. This adaptation of the beloved teenage novel is a cut above the rest. Expand
  32. Nov 26, 2013
    Catching Fire takes what was wrong with the first film, and learns from it. This is the first true Hunger Games adaptation that captures the chaos of the games in full effect. Catching Fire's film direction and devotion to staying true in story, makes me wish the first film was redone in this manner. Jennifer Lawrence and cast improve on their performances, and I am pleased to informCatching Fire takes what was wrong with the first film, and learns from it. This is the first true Hunger Games adaptation that captures the chaos of the games in full effect. Catching Fire's film direction and devotion to staying true in story, makes me wish the first film was redone in this manner. Jennifer Lawrence and cast improve on their performances, and I am pleased to inform everyone that the camera-shake monster isn't in Catching Fire. Thank freaking God! Expand
  33. Nov 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If the ultimate goal was to entertain then catching fire accomplished then and the proceeded to exceed expectations. However In doing so I feel as a fan my intelligence was insulted. The cliffhanger if you want to call it that, I call it more of a ball buster) was the equivalence of driving a Ferrari on a race track and slamming on the breaks due to a squirrel crossing on the track. Great movie and because of that I'm planning on watching the 3rd one. I don't enjoy having my face slammed against the windshield when I was going to stop the car anyways. Expand
  34. Nov 22, 2013
    For me, this was on about the same level as the first movie. However, it also manages to exceed several qualities of its predecessor. For one, it felt more dark and mature in how it handled all of the characters. It also felt much more intense and gripping, especially during the games. Once again, the cast gave exceptional performances. Jennifer Lawrence's performance was definitely a stepFor me, this was on about the same level as the first movie. However, it also manages to exceed several qualities of its predecessor. For one, it felt more dark and mature in how it handled all of the characters. It also felt much more intense and gripping, especially during the games. Once again, the cast gave exceptional performances. Jennifer Lawrence's performance was definitely a step up from the first film, as her portrayal of Katniss felt more detailed and compelling to watch. Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth also return as Peeta and Gale respectively. There were also some great new additions to the cast. Sam Claflin gave a slick performance as Finnick. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was great as always too! I was also happy to see the very underrated Jena Malone playing Johanna. Overall, it followed the book pretty well. Really, my only issue with this movie was that in some spots, it focused a little too much on the rather cheesy and cliche side plot of the love triangle between Katniss, Gale, and Peeta. Other than that, this was a fun and compelling sequel to the already great first installment! Expand
  35. Dec 10, 2013
    Much better than its predecessor, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire kept me involved throughout. As a fan of the books, there were no omissions or additions to the movie that I couldn't ignore or overlook. I found Josh Hutcherson particularly charming and believable as Peeta with Tucci, and Kravitz capturing Flickerman and Cinna perfectly, but Lawrence and Hemsworth both failed to convinceMuch better than its predecessor, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire kept me involved throughout. As a fan of the books, there were no omissions or additions to the movie that I couldn't ignore or overlook. I found Josh Hutcherson particularly charming and believable as Peeta with Tucci, and Kravitz capturing Flickerman and Cinna perfectly, but Lawrence and Hemsworth both failed to convince me that they were anyone except themselves. Lawrence didn't even really seem to be trying or want to be on set most of the time. Expand
  36. Nov 30, 2013
    Surprisingly great, 'Catching Fire' was much darker and appeals to a wider crowd than its previous, preteen formatted prequel. It offers much more than what disappointed viewers of the 'Hunger Games' might expect. I could rank it among the best films of 2013.
  37. Nov 24, 2013
    Seen the movie twice already. I loved it so much mainly because it lives up to the book a lot. I also enjoyed that it was three hours long, expected it to be much shorter. Anyways, the movie was AMAZING, totally worth watching!
  38. Nov 24, 2013
    Really great movie, quite faithful to the book. (which, might I add, we don't get very often). Keeping in mind, that not everything written can be shown. I really enjoyed it. The movie had some really emotional scenes, but I'm not going to spoil it for you. Great acting, stunning SFX and overall a great movie. I now anxiously await the next part Mockingjay.I recommend this movie to everyone.
  39. Nov 25, 2013
    JUST FOR BRAZILIANS:

"Em Chamas" consegue ser uma ótima adaptação cinematográfica, sendo bem fiel a obra escrita por Suzanne Collins e superando longa-metragens de outras sagas, tais como Harry Potter e Percy Jackson e os Olimpianos.
  40. Nov 25, 2013
    Con un final que te deja con ganas de más "Juegos del hambre en llamas" logra superar a su predecesora, lo único que se siente flojo o un poco forzado es la relación entre Peeta y Katniss. No he leído el libro pero la narrativa de la película logra atraparte durante todo el film. Recomendable.
  41. Nov 25, 2013
    This was another great movie in the hunger Games Series. This second installment stayed true to the book and ended at a time the audience was like, "What? Don't end it now!". I do wish they went a little further since they still have so much material to work with for the third book. I will be adding this DVD to my collection when it comes out. Well done acting, costumes and script.This was another great movie in the hunger Games Series. This second installment stayed true to the book and ended at a time the audience was like, "What? Don't end it now!". I do wish they went a little further since they still have so much material to work with for the third book. I will be adding this DVD to my collection when it comes out. Well done acting, costumes and script. It would be difficult to step it up from the last movie, but everyone did! You must see! Expand
  42. Nov 26, 2013
    The first installment of this series was just kind of on par. Catching Fire takes that same premise of the first film and vastly improves it. It really was the first movie with a stronger plot. Jennifer Lawrence does a good job as usual, but Josh Hutcherson really drives it home. A very surprising performance enhancement by Elizabeth Banks, her character actually had emotions this timeThe first installment of this series was just kind of on par. Catching Fire takes that same premise of the first film and vastly improves it. It really was the first movie with a stronger plot. Jennifer Lawrence does a good job as usual, but Josh Hutcherson really drives it home. A very surprising performance enhancement by Elizabeth Banks, her character actually had emotions this time around and they got to me, Their was one scene with birds, you will know what I'm talking about, that genuinely terrified me when no mainstream horror movie can.
    In conclusion: if you liked the first one, Catching Fire is that but better. If you didn't like the first one, wait for the sequel to come out on DVD/Blu-Ray and give it a try.
  43. Nov 27, 2013
    I haven't read the books, or much abut the entire storyline. The film was enjoyable and the story was slightly predicable. But it has the enjoyment factor and I am looking forward to the next one!
  44. Dec 5, 2013
    This was an amazing movie. period. The end will make you want to punch the person beside you because of frustration but overall its an amazing experience, its as if just as you get into it. it ends.
  45. Dec 15, 2013
    I love the Hunger Games books, so when the first film came out, I was very sceptical about it. I thought it was going to be trash and untrue to the books. And while it still lacked some core elements, it was still amazing and this film is no exception. At the heart of it is Jennifer Laurence's preformance as Catniss which is refined from the first film, therefore being more believable andI love the Hunger Games books, so when the first film came out, I was very sceptical about it. I thought it was going to be trash and untrue to the books. And while it still lacked some core elements, it was still amazing and this film is no exception. At the heart of it is Jennifer Laurence's preformance as Catniss which is refined from the first film, therefore being more believable and more realistic. In fact every actor in the film shows just how talented they really are. Sometimes it's hard to notice dew to Laurence's top notch acting. The directing is also on par with this. The camera takes shots from very unique and interesting angles, which also makes the action feel more brutal and organic. The story is complex, and touches on problems with real life politics. There's one HUGE problem with the film... Throughout the film I asked myself Am I watching the Hunger Games one?" My ticket said Hunger Games Catching Fire. So why did I think this? Because they took the story of the original and copy and pasted it onto this! The fundamental point of a sequel is to improve not to copy! Despite this I still love the film and I recommend to everyone. Expand
  46. Dec 23, 2013
    This movie had some serious action, plot twists but an anticlimactic closing which has left me excited for the next installment of the series. Let the true fun...begin!
  47. Dec 10, 2013
  48. Dec 11, 2013
    The movie was not as good as the trailer and it isnt better than the first one. I highly recommend it to the people who have read the books, they´ll enjoy it and will be eager to watch the next one. As for those who have not i think they´ll be highly entertained but will find it awkward in the end.
  49. Dec 12, 2013
    Catching Fire is a perfect follow up to the original, and offers great creative direction and depth in themes that keeps it going. Definitely worth the watch.
  50. Dec 13, 2013
    Brilliant movie, a great sequel even better than the first Hunger Games, very entertaining and with solid acting across the board. If you liked the first movie you will love this.
  51. Dec 14, 2013
    The movie leaves gaps of the book out in places. That being said, the construct of the film does much more to move the plot forward and give legs to the central plot of being under the government's boot than the first in the series. The film is less sluggish than the first, but without Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson offers little in the way of acting.
  52. Dec 17, 2013
    Amazing! Best movie I have seen all year, from the first 10 minutes of the movie I was already holding my seat and knew it was going to be a good movie. I didn't really enjoy the first Hunger games but this was better than anything i could have expected! If you haven't't seen it I cant recommend it enough!
  53. Dec 17, 2013
    This movie just awesome. The cast so natural,the animation and the setting so stunning,the plot is exactly like the book. This is the best movie of the year. The story is like really happen in the past... Awesome. Jennifer is a talented cast. Congrats for all the catching fire team
  54. Dec 21, 2013
    Francis Lawrence surprise us again after a great direction and I Am Legend brings unlike previous: better special effects (although they are not the best and that subtraction), better plot and a great ending. Jennifer Lawrence turns and more beautiful than ever and even better acting than the previous (looks like the Oscar he hit well), Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth act better, but noFrancis Lawrence surprise us again after a great direction and I Am Legend brings unlike previous: better special effects (although they are not the best and that subtraction), better plot and a great ending. Jennifer Lawrence turns and more beautiful than ever and even better acting than the previous (looks like the Oscar he hit well), Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth act better, but no big deal, Donald Sutherland puts you goosebumps as Snow, Elizabeth Banks splendid as usual, and the other brilliant performances (especially Woody Harrelson). The finding: the last sentence says Liam Hemsworth leaves you with a lot of desire to see Mockingjay. The bad thing about the movie: the opening minutes becomes boring. Expand
  55. Dec 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is great. It's not a happy (silly) fairy tale featuring a prince finding a princess and live happily together but a dark society instead. The plot is amazing which follows the book (I think so, I skipped some parts for the book), the acting is good (at least it satisfy me) and the best thing is the theme of the story is not deleted when translating the book to the movie. It still features how dark the society is through comparisons (the Capitol's party and District 12), atmosphere (I hear Katniss's mum started to cry when she heard her daughter is going back to the games through TV) and conversations (the little girl in the tour told Katniss she thought being a tribute is glorious and wanted to join the games when she grew up). These scenes are memorable to me and they really makes me think of the society today. Of course, there are some scenes between Katniss and Peeta/Gale, but the overall message is obvious and memorable. I can't wait watching the last two films. Expand
  56. Dec 27, 2013
    This is one of the best movies of 2013 in my opinion. I found myself intergued from start to finish and wanting more once the film was over. Gone is the shaky camera in combat. The movie follows the book perfectly with only one or 2 notable diferances. The acting is good all around which is necesarry to make a good movie. It is slightly dissapointing how much it feels like the firstThis is one of the best movies of 2013 in my opinion. I found myself intergued from start to finish and wanting more once the film was over. Gone is the shaky camera in combat. The movie follows the book perfectly with only one or 2 notable diferances. The acting is good all around which is necesarry to make a good movie. It is slightly dissapointing how much it feels like the first book/movie. Despite of that short coming it is a fantastic movie
    score
    9.6
  57. Jan 7, 2014
    The Hunger Games Catching Fire is an example of cinema done right. I went into the theatre pretty nervous that this movie would not live up to its expectations. The book had so much content that I knew wouldn't make it into the movie that I almost convinced myself before the movie started that it was going to be bad. I was completely wrong. The movie as a whole followed the book prettyThe Hunger Games Catching Fire is an example of cinema done right. I went into the theatre pretty nervous that this movie would not live up to its expectations. The book had so much content that I knew wouldn't make it into the movie that I almost convinced myself before the movie started that it was going to be bad. I was completely wrong. The movie as a whole followed the book pretty well going up into the hunger games. Sadly I haven't finshed the book because I'm not interested In Catnices love triangle being mentioned every page, which leads me to my next point. The movie doesn't force the love triangle stuff down our throats. The acting in all areas was amazing.

But the movie isn't perfect. There were a few things missing that I think should have been added in the final cut. In the book, we learn how Haymich became a champion of the hunger games. We also learn a bit about the Avox's. These servants of the capitol have been branded traitors, had their tounges removed, and tasked with waiting apon tributes as they get ready for the hunger games. You can see them in the backround of some scenes but as far as the audience knows, they are just random people. These missing pieces dont ruin the puzzel, but they would make it more complete. Plus the Movie made a betrayal seem painfully obvious. The way the actor portrayed his character in a certain scene kinda ruined the surprise. The book did a better job of keeping that secret.

Overall, despite the few hickups, The movie was spectacular. the arena was beautiful and the special effects looked somewhat realistic. I say somewhat because I have yet to see a movie other than Avatar that nails 3d effects and cgi flawlessly. The acting was great and the story was engaging. Now I knwo the next movie is going to be harder to see because it is the most gruesome of the trilogy, but after seeing this movie I think they can pull it off.
  58. Feb 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I absolutely loved Catching Fire and how it was played out. It was so perfect how the whole arena was a a huge clock counting down the hours and with every new hour it was a new threat. It was way better then the first Hunger Games. I even read the book and the movie was a little bit different but I did wait for the movie and it was not disappointing at all! I hope they don't forget about Peter's Perl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    xoxo Rues_Song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  59. Nov 22, 2013
    This movie surprise me a lot, the best movie of the series, amazing effects and we also can't forget the beautiful performance of Jennifer Lawrence; and at the end of the movie you stay looking forward to the next one.
  60. Nov 25, 2013
    It's been a little over a year since I last read Catching Fire, which I consider the highlight of the literary trilogy. I remember it being darker and edgier than its predecessor, as well as creating an even greater sense of peril. The teenage tributes had been replaced by trained killers of all ages, boasting intellect and brawn that far surpassed Katniss' and Peeta's capabilities. I'mIt's been a little over a year since I last read Catching Fire, which I consider the highlight of the literary trilogy. I remember it being darker and edgier than its predecessor, as well as creating an even greater sense of peril. The teenage tributes had been replaced by trained killers of all ages, boasting intellect and brawn that far surpassed Katniss' and Peeta's capabilities. I'm happy to say that not only did this movie bring back those emotions within me, such as the rapid heartbeat following a sword narrowly missing Katniss' face, but also reopened old wounds, making me remember the heartbreaking deaths of characters who you learn to love in what little time you get to know them.
    By being both a deliciously tormenting second act as well as perfecting some of the flaws of the original film, I'm happy to say that Catching Fire improves upon the original in nearly every single way.
    Both Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutchinson are back as the main protagonists, with Lawrence stealing the show once again as an emotionally torn teenager thrust into an unimaginable dystopian future. Here she deals not only with struggling to survive the Quarter Quell, but also debating whether or not to become the inspiring leader of a developing insurrection against the Capitol. Lawrence's performance is flawless, portraying Katniss as a strong heroine suffering from the inevitable repercussions of the first Hunger Games, and reliving the tragic deaths of the friends she made during her time in the arena. Woody Harrelson also shines, playing the lovable drunk Haymitch Abernathy who has slowly evolved into the father figure for both Katniss and Peeta. Every character has been given the emotional depth they deserve: Prim, who was barely seen in the first novel, is now a budding nurse who helps treat wounds and seems determined to help the rebellion. Effie Trinket, the materialistic escort, has seen the error of her ways, and has a truly emotional scene where she realizes that the teens deserve a happier life than the one they were thrust into. New additions such as the charismatic Finnick Odair and the hilariously psychotic Johanna Mason serve as great support for the leads, especially when Katniss struggles on whether to let her guard down or risk being stabbed in the back.
    The action is fast-paced, brutal, and downright frightening in some areas, benefitting greatly from the headache-inducing shaky camera from the last movie. The beasts near the end of the first movie are almost insignificant in compared to what's in store in this competition. The threats always seem real, deaths occur when the scene feels the most safe, and you truly feel that the stakes have been raised exponentially. This all ends in a climax that surpasses its source material with beautiful symbolism and a cliffhanger that keeps the suspense continually building for the finale.
    However, this isn't to say the movie is without its faults. For starters, the first 20 minutes feel like a condensed sparknotes version of the novel's plot line, which hurts the movie when trying to establish how much Katniss has to lose if she disobeys the tyrannical President Snow. In addition, Katniss' relationship between the misled Peeta and Gale has been "Bellafied." While in the novel she seemed unsure about where her heart lied and eventually found her way to Peeta in the end, the movie shows her kissing Gale on several occasions and makes it seem like she is overwhelmingly one-sided. This takes away from Katniss' image as a good female role model for kids because we lose focus on the real conflict against the regime of the government.
    Despite these flaws, Catching Fire is an exceptional movie that builds upon the framework of its predecessor and stands out in its own right. There were too many moments to count when the audience in the theater was ready to jump up and cheer, and I'm hard-pressed to remember the last movie that pulled off such a spark of life in its viewers. For these reasons, the second installment in the Hunger Games series lives up to its title, using moving performances from its leads and heart pounding action sequences to start a fire that I hope only grows until Mockingjay hits theaters.
    Clearly, the odds are in Catching Fire's favor.
  61. Nov 27, 2013
    This film compelled me to sign up and give full marks to here on metacritic! Wow. Saw at IMAX. Faithful to book and 1st film that I thought was better than the book it was modeled upon.

Casting and acting were excellent. The pace of the movie was superb some parts are indeed slower and less action-packed than other parts, but they need to be. My 11 yo daughter (who was Katniss for Halloween), my 15 yo son, my wife, and her parents and I all thought the experience was awesome.

It is violent. No doubt. So if that concerns you, then that is a caution.
  62. Dec 2, 2013
    I was very excited for this movie and had been waiting for it very eagerly for what felt like years now and it definitely did not disappoint. It was as amazing as i had expected it to be, if not better. I loved The Hunger Games but this one was even better...with stunning visuals and a great cast, Catching Fire according to me one one of the best movies of the year. I personally reallyI was very excited for this movie and had been waiting for it very eagerly for what felt like years now and it definitely did not disappoint. It was as amazing as i had expected it to be, if not better. I loved The Hunger Games but this one was even better...with stunning visuals and a great cast, Catching Fire according to me one one of the best movies of the year. I personally really like Jennifer Lawrence and she definitely did justice to the role of Katniss Everdeen. I truly loved Catching Fire and it is worthy of all the great reviews it is receiving...its sure to be a huge box office hit. Expand
  63. Nov 29, 2013
    Catching Fire is the second installment to the ever improving and fantastic franchise. It features a team of great actors at its helm that bring the material to life with ease. That material that is brought to life is fiery and almost perfectly written. The depth and emotion packed into each piece of dialogue is incredible. Jennifer Lawrence is a star. She makes it known that she is nowCatching Fire is the second installment to the ever improving and fantastic franchise. It features a team of great actors at its helm that bring the material to life with ease. That material that is brought to life is fiery and almost perfectly written. The depth and emotion packed into each piece of dialogue is incredible. Jennifer Lawrence is a star. She makes it known that she is now one of the best actresses in Hollywood. The team following behind her that include such phenominal standouts are Josh Hutcherson, Jena Malone, Sam Claflin, Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks really pack even more of an incredible punch to the screen. This is not only one of the best sequels in recent years, it is one of the best films of the year. Francis Lawrence is welcomed to this franchise, and we all should be glad he is staying. I give this film 100%. Expand
  64. Nov 24, 2013
    This film is P-E-R-F-E-C-T. The emotion in each moment of the movie is equal to the book. Suzanne knew how to translate the book to the big screen with the same emotions and better tan we could imagine. The film don't take away anything of the book, all is there. It was so exciting and the actors do their roleplays so excellent. You can feel all the feelings in just one movie.
  65. Mar 9, 2014
    An absolute masterpiece. It kept me guessing and is filled with tension and emotion. The performances are fantastic and believable. The movie had me on the edge of my seat and constantly questioning things like who to trust, or how character relationships would/will turn out. As someone who has not read the books I have no idea what to expect next from this fantastic series, and the endingAn absolute masterpiece. It kept me guessing and is filled with tension and emotion. The performances are fantastic and believable. The movie had me on the edge of my seat and constantly questioning things like who to trust, or how character relationships would/will turn out. As someone who has not read the books I have no idea what to expect next from this fantastic series, and the ending has me begging for the next chapter. All in all I found "Catching Fire" to be an improvement in every way on the already fantastic original. It's a movie like no other and I highly recommend that you check this series out. I am completely blown away with how fantastic this movie turned out and I already had pretty high expectations. Expand
  66. Dec 1, 2013
    Catching Fire betters its predecessor in nearly every way and that is one hell of a feat due to the first film, The Hunger Games, being one of my favourite book to film adaptations.
    The story picks up a year after the first film, Katniss & Peeta pretend to be madly in love and the 75th Hunger Games quickly approach meaning the previous years victors must go on a tour of the districts. However when a rebellious uprising begins to form in each of the district's, President Snow orders new head gamesmaker Plutarch Heavensbee, to kill Katniss and end the rebellion. Plutarch's Hunger Games invite previous victors back to the arena to fight once again putting Katniss in the firing line, however even those in the games have a grudge against Snow meaning things wont quite to go plan.
    Catching Fire is well shot, well directed and of course well written, the performances are once again top notch and the visual effects are simply stunning.
    If you haven't read the books the ending can come as a bit of a kick in the balls when it gives you that cliffhanger but in all Catching Fire is an excellent film that you should without a doubt go and see.
  67. Nov 27, 2013
    This sequel not only delivers, but leaves me wondering where the rest of the series will go from here. It brings intensity, deliverance and much more conflicting situations between the characters and the story itself. Overall, way better than the first. I give it an A!
  68. Nov 28, 2013
    Catching fire, the best hunger games yet? For me yes. Everything that was good about the first one was doubled and is completly amazing. The acting was fenominal and stunning. The scenery was amazing and the twist at the end was great.
  69. Nov 27, 2013
    Considero que está película cumple las expectativas de los fans. a mi parecer es mejor que la primera. En cuanto a la dirección se nota el cambio de director. Es una película más oscura, más profunda en cuanto a los temas políticos inmersos en ella. Las actuaciones me agradan, en especial Jennifer Lawrence. Los efectos muy buenos. El guión excelente. La historia muy interesante y deja conConsidero que está película cumple las expectativas de los fans. a mi parecer es mejor que la primera. En cuanto a la dirección se nota el cambio de director. Es una película más oscura, más profunda en cuanto a los temas políticos inmersos en ella. Las actuaciones me agradan, en especial Jennifer Lawrence. Los efectos muy buenos. El guión excelente. La historia muy interesante y deja con ganas de ver más. Expand
  70. Dec 7, 2013
    The fact that the Hunger Games stories are not crushed by their own weight is mystifying, and an achievement.
    It seems crazy that a film whose ideology is as savagely brutal as the fictional Games would become such a hit. Despite all its violent connotations and tyrannical regimes, the film comes off as the year’s pinnacle of entertainment. Maybe the allure lies in ourselves? We project ourselves on screen. We are Katniss fighting back against the oppressors. The film’s core audience is essentially the same demographic that would be sacrificed if such games were ever to become a reality, so maybe everyone is really just preparing for the future? When the Games start, we’ll know what to expect.

According to IMDB, Post-apocalyptic thrillers are not particularly big money makers; The Hunger Games franchise being the only series that nearly approaches real commercial heavy weights. The first two Hunger Games installments together hold the top grossing spots in the genre, but even then, they don’t come near grossing anything like the top 50 overall films. Avatar and Titanic are the top two. Both have over two billion worldwide gross. Still, Hunger Games has a hard-core devoted fan base that rivals even Twilight.

At the Los Angeles premiere of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, young fans camped out for three days just to be front and center on the red carpet, catching glimpses of the film’s stars.

The best scenes of the film visually were the ones shot in the districts. The New Yorker review describes these scenes like “Eastern-bloc depression…drained of vitality,” but Katniss is exactly the opposite. As a hero she is so strong that alleviates the vitality drainage. Once we leave the districts, the filmmakers deflect the intensity of the subject matter using Katniss as a distraction. Katniss keeps the film from being engulfed into an R-rated abyss. I love R-rated abysses, but they don’t draw fans like Jennifer Lawrence’s strong performances in these PG-13 flicks.

There were some weaknesses. The coincidence that Katniss and Peeta would be drawn back into the turmoil was too much, an obvious excuse just to get Katniss back in the ring. How is that we didn’t hear of these conflicts in the past film? Surely Katniss and Peeta would have the known the traditions of the world they live in.

Also, why are all the people in the capital dressed so outlandishly? How do they assemble for all public events in perfect symmetry? Why is the President’s only concern with the games? Doesn’t he have other duties?

What the story lacks in depth, and it certainly does lack, it makes up for in action-packed, well-shot scenes. Despite an appearance by Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the gamemaker, the curves thrown at the participants in this rendition of the Games weren’t as exciting as the first film.

The most annoying thing in the film was Peeta Malark. He is a weakling and not an interesting character. On the battlefield he hardly contributes. He seems to function only as a male counterpart to Katniss in the political spectrum as Katniss ends up fighting battles for two in the forest.

Overall The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was worth the price of admission, and at 2 hours 26 minutes, it flies by quick.
  71. Nov 22, 2013
    What is really great about the movie is that it really stayed true to the book. While reading, I was imagining how they could possibly encapsulate the details in the film and I was surprised how well Francis Lawrence is able to make everything come alive. Jennifer Lawrence hits another home run. She is definitely a great actress and winning that OSCAR proves her worth. I don't think anyoneWhat is really great about the movie is that it really stayed true to the book. While reading, I was imagining how they could possibly encapsulate the details in the film and I was surprised how well Francis Lawrence is able to make everything come alive. Jennifer Lawrence hits another home run. She is definitely a great actress and winning that OSCAR proves her worth. I don't think anyone can play Katniss but her. This film kinda reminds me of Winter's Bone, from it's theme of loneliness and survival. Expand
  72. Nov 25, 2013
    I walked into the theater expecting to see a mediocre film no better than the first, I was however incredibly surprised and absolutely lived the film. Perfectly capturing the book, it has a gripping story, great acting, and fantastic visuals. Definetley a must see.
  73. Nov 29, 2013
    I had a great time seeing the movie, it brings to the stage a different kind of movie, it has everything and well the outfits are great The only thing i didn' t like was the idea that i know there is another one which let's me know that the end is going to leave me hanging. I don`t know English well, because I am from Ukraine, so copied comment below, but I like this film and think it isI had a great time seeing the movie, it brings to the stage a different kind of movie, it has everything and well the outfits are great The only thing i didn' t like was the idea that i know there is another one which let's me know that the end is going to leave me hanging. I don`t know English well, because I am from Ukraine, so copied comment below, but I like this film and think it is the best thing, what director could do on the book ecranization Expand
  74. Dec 2, 2013
    I thought that an absolutely incredible book was turned into a truly great film. If i had gone to the cinema expecting an action film of epic proportions with bucket loads of CGI and explosions, then I may have been a little disappointed. However, what I did see was a film with a gripping storyline that was both dark and disturbing in a way that kept me on the edge of my seat. If I hadI thought that an absolutely incredible book was turned into a truly great film. If i had gone to the cinema expecting an action film of epic proportions with bucket loads of CGI and explosions, then I may have been a little disappointed. However, what I did see was a film with a gripping storyline that was both dark and disturbing in a way that kept me on the edge of my seat. If I had to give a criticism, it would be that we do not feel the same sympathy towards the majority the tributes than in the first instalment as they rarely speak which makes it harder to connect with them. All in all though, a really good film. I just hope that the third achieves the same standards as the first two. Expand
  75. Dec 5, 2013
    Yea, Jennifer Lawrence is every mans fantasy. I would sure like to well..... you know. If you take her out of the picture, you can better evaluate this film. It is good or should I say entertaining. There are flaws. One, you have to see the first film if you want to know what is going on. Given that every red blooded male has seen the first, let's strike that from the equation. This movieYea, Jennifer Lawrence is every mans fantasy. I would sure like to well..... you know. If you take her out of the picture, you can better evaluate this film. It is good or should I say entertaining. There are flaws. One, you have to see the first film if you want to know what is going on. Given that every red blooded male has seen the first, let's strike that from the equation. This movie is well over 2 hours long, yet the games section seems short. That sticks in my mind. I guess they tried to put too many sub plots together to make the whole plot feasible. It doesn't go by slowly and the ending is super condensed. If you see this movie, your going to have to see the threequil. Expand
  76. Dec 5, 2013
    Great Movie. Change a lot the meaning of the hunger games and keep you so interested to watch the next one, Mockingjay, I never read the books but I think it will be a great end and will give us some lessons for life...
  77. Nov 22, 2013
    Absolutely perfect. There is nothing else I can possibly say, because that it all there is to say. I think I'll go watch the movie again, and then read the book again, then watch the movie again. Just perfect.
  78. Nov 22, 2013
    Catching Fire was incredible. I was able to watch the Double Feature of 1 and 2 back to back, so I got a real clarification of the differences in direction, acting, story, and adaptation from the novel. Save for the things going on in Katniss' head, they did a great job adapting the novel to the movie. The direction was excellent, executing great story elements at just the right time, asCatching Fire was incredible. I was able to watch the Double Feature of 1 and 2 back to back, so I got a real clarification of the differences in direction, acting, story, and adaptation from the novel. Save for the things going on in Katniss' head, they did a great job adapting the novel to the movie. The direction was excellent, executing great story elements at just the right time, as well as adding depth to scenery like District 12 and the Capitol. The acting wasn't bad in the first, but was a huge improvement in the second. Anyone who has read the books knew what was secretly going on, and you can see that from the acting of the major characters. I give this a ten because they took something they did SO well with the first movie, and just blew it up. I would consider this the "Empire Strikes Back" of my generation. Expand
  79. Dec 9, 2013
    Catching Fire was an amazing book, and it pleases me to say that the film delivered spectacularly. From the visuals, costumes, makeup, score, and of the course the incredible acting from a dream cast. As faithful an adaption as a fan could hope for. Francis Lawrence proved himself big time, and it pleases me to know he will be directing both parts of Mockingjay.
  80. Nov 22, 2013
    Warning: I am fairly easy to please. With that said, I was so incredibly floored by how great this movie is. Very intense, action packed, and emotionally charged--the Mockingjay sequels will have a lot of work to do to top Catching Fire. That may be difficult since the final book in the trilogy overall had the lower ratings.

Catching Fire was, IMO, very close to the book's plot; at

Catching Fire was, IMO, very close to the book's plot; at the very least, it stays closer to the book than the first film in the series did. And comparing this to the first film... Catching Fire is hands down MUCH better. I loved the first film but thank goodness that director is out of the franchise now. Oh and the shaky cam is not overdone so if you get nausea from that, you will enjoy this film even more.

All of the characters were superb--I particularly loved Elizabeth Banks as Effie.

I'll be honest, I think I am going to try to check this movie out again this weekend to help boost those opening weekend numbers. Here's to hoping that their opening weekend becomes the second best of all time behind Avengers, which I have a feeling is currently untouchable (though I would LOVE to see CF top Avengers opening weekend numbers).
  81. Nov 23, 2013
  82. Nov 23, 2013
    The movie rekindled my faith in book to movie film adaptations. The first movie of the series is nowhere near as incredible as this installment. It grasped my soul and left me begging. This is entertainment at its finest.
  83. Dec 4, 2013
    Phenomenal movie! I've read through the books three times, and have now seen Catching Fire four times in IMAX. It follows the book almost to a tee, right down to some scenes having dialogue straight from the book. The cinematography was fantastic, and the use of IMAX when entering the arena (the view opens up from the standard size to fill the entire movie screen) to show that the arena isPhenomenal movie! I've read through the books three times, and have now seen Catching Fire four times in IMAX. It follows the book almost to a tee, right down to some scenes having dialogue straight from the book. The cinematography was fantastic, and the use of IMAX when entering the arena (the view opens up from the standard size to fill the entire movie screen) to show that the arena is a new, different world. It had me on the edge of my seat the entire way through, even when I was tearing up at certain parts. Definitely an improvement on the first movie, which was still great in its own way. Francis Lawrence did the franchise proud and I cannot wait for the next two installments. Expand
  84. Nov 22, 2013
    Quite possibly the best book to movie adaption ever made. I'm speechless. Not one second was wasted. The acting, the storytelling, the graphics. I felt like I was literally rereading the book... on screen
  85. Nov 27, 2013
    I had really high expectations, and I was not disappointed. it's the best movie I've seen in a while. Many thanks to the film crew for their outstanding work. One more thing Jennifer Lawrence
  86. Nov 22, 2013
    While no conversion from book to movie is ever perfect, they have crafted a movie that captured the feel of the book like few other movie adaptations I have ever seen. If you liked the first movie or a fan of the series, you'll find little to complain about here.
  87. Dec 2, 2013
    This isn't a sci-fi action flick. It is 2 hours of trying on outfits and lamenting about which man to love. Go for the one society tells me to? or go for the salt of the earth hunter. What a new theme!! Oh, and don't forget the 'I am humble, but damn I look good as a princess' storyline. very inventive. After you sit through the 2 hour drawl of the aforementioned, you get 20 solidThis isn't a sci-fi action flick. It is 2 hours of trying on outfits and lamenting about which man to love. Go for the one society tells me to? or go for the salt of the earth hunter. What a new theme!! Oh, and don't forget the 'I am humble, but damn I look good as a princess' storyline. very inventive. After you sit through the 2 hour drawl of the aforementioned, you get 20 solid minutes of psuedo action. Followed by a close up ending that would make JJ Abrahms in his pants. I lost 3 hours of my life that night. Expand
  88. Nov 22, 2013
  89. Nov 27, 2013
    I read all three books. I thought the first movie was very good, but this one was even better. The director managed to capture the look I had in my head when I read the books and that is very rare for movies adapted from a book. I also couldn't think of anything that was left out from the book everything was covered. The acting is solid across the board, with special kudos to JenniferI read all three books. I thought the first movie was very good, but this one was even better. The director managed to capture the look I had in my head when I read the books and that is very rare for movies adapted from a book. I also couldn't think of anything that was left out from the book everything was covered. The acting is solid across the board, with special kudos to Jennifer Lawrence who captures Katniss perfectly. Can't wait to see the final movie of the trilogy. Expand
  90. Nov 22, 2013
    OK, I had already read this book and this movie qqas totally loyal to the book, so this is really good, because as fan I like to see a movie that is the same thing of the book. Other good point is the cast, they are very good. Jennifer Lawrence, it is fantastic again, she is sooo good that i can feel what katniss feel. Woody Harrelson, this man is amazing, because when he is acting theOK, I had already read this book and this movie qqas totally loyal to the book, so this is really good, because as fan I like to see a movie that is the same thing of the book. Other good point is the cast, they are very good. Jennifer Lawrence, it is fantastic again, she is sooo good that i can feel what katniss feel. Woody Harrelson, this man is amazing, because when he is acting the drinker haymitch he iso involved in character that it seemas tha he is realy haymitch. Josh Hutcherson, I had a doubt with him, but now I realize I was wrong about it. The movie it is really good, because we can bring it to our world when we compare the president snow with the people who thinks that they can do everything that they want and the capital is like USA a place that everybody wants to go and katniss the people that wanto fight for those who love. But of course that have some problems like there is some parts that would be interesting to show Expand
  91. Nov 23, 2013
    So I watched the first hunger games movie and at the end I just had to know what happened so I read all 3 books in a row. From reading the first book (after the film) I thought WOW, its just like the book. In fact its so much like the book you could watch the film and start from book 2. So even with a new director on board I had high hopes for this film and hotly anticipated its release.So I watched the first hunger games movie and at the end I just had to know what happened so I read all 3 books in a row. From reading the first book (after the film) I thought WOW, its just like the book. In fact its so much like the book you could watch the film and start from book 2. So even with a new director on board I had high hopes for this film and hotly anticipated its release.

In this film they basically cut the book into 3 pieces, the victory tour and dissent, the game build up and finally the games. The first 2 parts were done very well, all except one major major major part where whilst talking to katniss in the victors village, president snow utters one sentence that basically made me say "what the and I'm sure everyone who read the 2nd book said the same.

As for the games.

They basically threw all the pages of the book about the games in the air and then randomly placed them into the film. not good
  92. Nov 22, 2013
    I got sucked into the Hunger Games against my will about a year ago when my younger sister forced me to watch the first movie. Skeptical as I was for it to be Hollywood spit, I quite enjoyed it. So for the sequel, I wanted to beat her to the punch and see it first, so then I could show it to her. But I came across a much different truth from watching Catching Fire, and its left me with aI got sucked into the Hunger Games against my will about a year ago when my younger sister forced me to watch the first movie. Skeptical as I was for it to be Hollywood spit, I quite enjoyed it. So for the sequel, I wanted to beat her to the punch and see it first, so then I could show it to her. But I came across a much different truth from watching Catching Fire, and its left me with a very different perspective and reality.

The best part of the second Hunger Games movie by far and away is we finally see the repercussions and the toll the actions the characters make have on them. The tone of the film is heavily thematic, and it is grossing entertaining in its epic scale and fantastic stakes to these characters under the most dire circumstances man can create and that's why it's fun to watch. It's not, however, the high budget, crisp effects, or Hollywood glitz that make the film so good on a large scale.

What we are watching is the same result of man creating the highest stakes and most intense scenarios we can, but as an analogy between the brutality and our own hypocrisy. This film displays for us the same entertainment that the morons of the capitol have, meaning we as a ficticious audience are just as guilty of inhumanity as the characters we're loving to hate in the film franchise, and that poses a fascinating question that may be hard to answer.

What I also found really surprising was how funny the first hour or so of the movie is. It's not laugh-out-loud funny to get laughs from the audience as a comic relief though; its dry humour as our vision into the failing coping mechanism for the characters to justify the efforts they put into their survival. (And all the more drive for their drastic actions).

But there's one other thing I certainly didn't expect: The intensity of the film and entertainment value (a balance certainly made more obvious for easier viewing than the first film) was able to trigger an emotional reaction for me as I viewed the movie that i haven't experienced in a while. I was able to clear my mind entirely and suspend my disbelief so strongly that I engaged into the action with more fluidity than I have in a very long time. It is so infrequently that I feel such a connection and passion to the fictitious events displayed before me (which I am aware of) and am willing to resonate with an fully encompass.

I went to a sold-out show with about 500 people in the theatre. I think there are some movies like this which are improved by viewing them in a large crowd because you are experiencing them as a community and the ideas from the story are told to you as a population, and not an individual. This selfless mantra is the whole point of The Hunger Games franchise it's about the equality not in the effort of worth in a person but equality in the right to chance and survive as a life on Earth. No one deserves better than that.

Catching Fire may be the best blockbuster, and perhaps the best movie sequel I have ever seen. Never before has a movie surprised me with a graceful, dark power than the Hunger Games, and it only seems to get better. My only criticism by far is the movie felt too short I was actually disappointed it ended at the 145 minutes it did. This is a movie you will enjoy immensely and it's one of my picks for one of the best movies this year.

There's an element of humanity in this movie that cannot be ignored. For once, I'm ever so glad my sister is smarter than me.
  93. Nov 22, 2013
    The Hunger Games was a brilliant movie, and this sequel doesn't fail. The movie itself is just really good, they focused a lot on both effects but also a good storyline, and this seems to be a perfect combo. I went to the movies with a high expectation, and the movie did not let me down. If you liked "The Hunger Games" then don't hesitate, it's worth your money. The only downside I saw,The Hunger Games was a brilliant movie, and this sequel doesn't fail. The movie itself is just really good, they focused a lot on both effects but also a good storyline, and this seems to be a perfect combo. I went to the movies with a high expectation, and the movie did not let me down. If you liked "The Hunger Games" then don't hesitate, it's worth your money. The only downside I saw, was how the movie was kind of split up, the first part was really exciting and filled with good moments, but the second half or rather last 1/3 of the movie was a bit dull compared to the rest. Don't let this stop you though, it was a very good movie and it definitely makes me want to buy it when it comes out. Expand
  94. Nov 30, 2013
    This movie is probably the best sequel i've seen since the bourne ultimatum, the action,drama,thriller,and acting is well-balanced, jennifer lawrence,josh hutcherson,and others was great even though a bit underaged. and even i did not understand the movie full enough, it is still the best thrilller and sequel i've seen this year (A Must Watch)
  95. Nov 29, 2013
    This movie is right up to par with the book. A must see.... multiple times. If you read the book, you will not be disappointed. If you didn't read the book, you will still enjoy it!
  96. dtl
    Nov 27, 2013
    The first Hunger Games movie was a great movie. This was much better. It was the best sequel I've seen in a long time. It had great characters, and great acting, while being completely coherent. There were very few missteps, if any, in the way this movie was made. (Side Note: Jennifer Lawrence is even better than I remember her.)

You don't need to be a fan of the books to like the

You don't need to be a fan of the books to like the movie. It stands alone effectively. If you, (like me), did like the books, this movie is even more amazing than it would otherwise be.
  97. Nov 27, 2013
    This 2nd installment of the series carries an atmosphere of intensity and gives weight to the duality of tough choices made, much better than the first, and its quality, here, helps you forgive the 2.5 hour run time.

Perhaps the first movie had no choice but to spend much of its time establishing characters, connections and personalities, but 'Catching Fire' just gets to have fun with everyone and everything in the story, without pausing to recap origins or connections between characters.

It's a heck of a lot of fun for fans of the book(s) and those that enjoy fictional/futuristic action movies that are rooted in real life themes and choices that real people have to make, either on a local or international level.

My wife and I were shocked at how much better 'Catching Fire' was compared to the first film installment of this series, and plan to see it a 2nd and perhaps 3rd time before it leaves theaters.

Jennifer Lawrence also establishes herself as a Top of the List celebrity crush for any guy that likes brains and sass as much as attractiveness!
  98. Jan 1, 2014
    I was surprised at how awful this movie was. Granted, the ongoing implosion of our culture and the erosion of our critical standards demand that movies like this one be taken seriously. Even so, I was unprepared for its lack of substance, depth, plot and narrative arc.

One scene in particular was striking for its pandering, ooh-ahh stupidity and lack of imagination. When the various warrior couples are introduced, it put one in mind of the build-up to the chariot race in "Ben Hur" (which I suspect was on the writers' undernourished minds when they banged out the script). In this case, however, the warriors seemed not so much menacing as silly. Nor were their actions and subsequent deaths tied in some clever way to their superbad qualities. The result was that none of the villains was particularly memorable. As for Donald Sutherland's villainy, everything he does and says is either poorly motivated or just plain obscure. It doesn't help that the love story is a boring mess.

Bottom line: The more you liked "The Avengers", a film with wit, a great villain and terrific dialogue ("You mewling quim!") the more likely you are to hate this film. It is just overblown swill.
  99. Nov 25, 2013
    With spot on acting and an intense roller coaster ride of action, the second installment of The Hunger Games does not disappoint. The awkwardness of Katnis is really starting to shine, and you can see it on Jennifer Lawrence's face as she interacts w/ both Peeta and Gale. Finally, a good film...it only took 11 months for one to come out!
  100. Nov 25, 2013
    Some longer films tend to feel long. This one does not. Great job of interpreting the book, without being so graphically violent as to scare younger kids. PG-13 IS the original fan base for this series so it's important to keep the films accessible to that audience. But I was impressed by how many adults of all ages were not only at this film, but actively reading the books... inspiredSome longer films tend to feel long. This one does not. Great job of interpreting the book, without being so graphically violent as to scare younger kids. PG-13 IS the original fan base for this series so it's important to keep the films accessible to that audience. But I was impressed by how many adults of all ages were not only at this film, but actively reading the books... inspired to do so by their kids/grandkids and the movies themselves. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 25, 2013
    Yet, despite the good acting, the middle section of the film, set at the Capitol, is attenuated and rhythmless — the filmmakers seem to be touching all the bases so that the trilogy’s readers won’t miss anything.
  2. Reviewed by: Susan Wloszczyna
    Nov 22, 2013
    With each on-screen chapter, the poor girl from District 12 continues to fulfill her destiny as an inspiration and a rebel fighter. She is but one female, but she's the perfect antidote to the surplus of male superheroes out there.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Everything that felt clumsy in The Hunger Games has been improved upon here. That's most apparent in the clarity of the action, but it also extends to how efficiently the film establishes so many new ensemble members.