7.0

1. Dec 16, 2014
    in movie, characters have each fascinating point and director well catch about their good feature.
    and music is well awesome grand and with movie. especially heroine's playing is so good
  2. Nov 23, 2014
    The Hunger Games es una película que te intriga y entretiene desde que empieza hasta que termina, con mucha acción y grandes actuaciones por parte de todos. Es totalmente una gran película de Ciencia-Ficción.
  3. Oct 19, 2014
    Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until oneEvery year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains.
    Pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives, Katniss is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy. If she's ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
  4. May 30, 2014
    "The Hunger Games" marks a spectacular introduction to the franchise. With dramatic violence, incredible performances, and a intimate/epic story telling it is a film that you would watch over & over again.
  5. Apr 20, 2014
    i love the hunger games it shows us if we dont change our society now there will be a world war 3
  6. Apr 15, 2014
    The Hunger Games is one of the best movies that I have seen. It's about a girl called Katniss Everdeen, who has to go to the hunger games for the second time in her life. She has to fight for her life which can also affect on the whole worlds destiny.
    Everyone should totally watch Hunger Games. It is really popular and everyone has seen it. If you haven't seen it yet you should watch it right now!
  7. Apr 12, 2014
    Nice film. It makes a nice discourse based on the book's message with an awesome performance from Jennifer Lawrence and a direction and production that worth it.
  8. Mar 26, 2014
    This is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been created here for this movie will amaze and surprise you. The Hunger Games is one for kids I would say 10 and up, as long as they know that it's just a movie.This is an easy 10 out of 10 film. Great acting, solid special effects, good performances and most of all believe ability. This film may have a suggestive topic about kids killing kids. But the performances and art form that has been created here for this movie will amaze and surprise you. The Hunger Games is one for kids I would say 10 and up, as long as they know that it's just a movie. Overall this film is fantastic. Expand
  9. Mar 19, 2014
    Dat was awesome, thank you for making a movie out of the book. One thing doe you forgot to include Madge. Otherwise it was awesome. While most movies based on books are horrible, this was ok.
  10. Mar 3, 2014
    Katniss everdeen is a beacon of courage. When I first read the novel I fell in love with this series. The movie was great and so was the sequel. Amazing!
  11. Feb 1, 2014
    Normally, when it comes to book, video game or cartoon characters being turned into movies, they usually have a mediocre or negative reception. Examples of this include Super Mario Bros (1993 film), Scooby Doo (2002 film) and the whole friggin Twilight movie series (seriously, why did they make more if the original sucked??)

I haven't read the book, but The Hunger Games is a great film,

I haven't read the book, but The Hunger Games is a great film, and here is why. It starts out with Katniss searching for food for the family when there is an announcement that the 74th Hunger Games contestants are going to be picked out. At first, it was supposed to be Rosemary, Katniss' sister but Katniss goes instead because she cannot bear to see her sister die. A series of events happen after this like the training, the interviews, the actual fights itself were awesome as well. I loved this movie and despite the hate that it gets, it is still a great movie.
  12. Dec 4, 2013
    It is no wonder actress Jennifer Lawrence has won multiple awards for her performance in The Hunger Games. Based on the book written by Suzanne Collins, this film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth. The story takes place in a future setting in a nation known as Panem, which is divided into 12 districts and the capitol. This science fiction, adventure-filled filmIt is no wonder actress Jennifer Lawrence has won multiple awards for her performance in The Hunger Games. Based on the book written by Suzanne Collins, this film stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Liam Hemsworth. The story takes place in a future setting in a nation known as Panem, which is divided into 12 districts and the capitol. This science fiction, adventure-filled film is bound to have the viewer on the edge of their seats.

Each year, in the nation of Panem, two young adults are selected by lottery to represent their district in "The Hunger Games", a televised fight-to-death that the rest of the citizens are required to watch. When Katniss' younger sister's name is called to represent District 12, Katniss volunteers herself in order for her sister to remain safe. The male drawn as Katniss' partner for The Hunger Games is Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson), whom she has dramatic history with. Immediately after being selected, the two are sent away to training where they must gain the proper skills to survive The Hunger Games. Given only a small amount of supplies, Katniss and Peeta are sent into the woods where they compete against the remaining 22 opponents. Katniss finds herself a nice tree, where she is able to make a small platform for her to sleep on for the night with the hopes that no one will spot her. Day after day, Katniss and Peeta must remain a team to protect each other for survival. Obstacles appear, and suddenly the game is unpredictable. Throughout the film, the audience gets an intense look as The Hunger Games play out, leaving them on edge and unsure of the end results.

The director of this film, Gary Ross, did a fabulous job of directing this film. The angles used within the film helped the audience to get a better understanding of emotion within the film. Despite the fast-paced, extreme situations that each opponent faces throughout The Hunger Games, the audience is able to feel the connections between the characters. Furthermore, the audience gets a chance to feel as if they are part of the film, finding themselves cheering on the main characters as they fight for their lives.

The set design and costumes were also done really well in this movie, as it allowed the viewer to believe this actually took place in the future. The set design was a perfect fit for this film, as a majority of the film took place outside in the woods. The set design allowed the film to bring to life the world that Suzanne Collins had created in her novels. Additionally, it was very easy for the audience to see the difference between life in District 12 and the capitol, where life in the District was poor and rural with washed out buildings, and the capitol was futuristic with modern decorations and bright colors.

This film was strategically put together, allowing for the audience to feel a sense of belonging, as though they were involved. From the very beginning to the very end, the audience is hooked, and more often than not, begging for the sequel. From the cast, to the set design, to the directing, The Hunger Games is a high quality film that is strongly recommended for any teenagers, as well as any one interested in adventure films.
  13. Nov 29, 2013
    I thought the Hunger Games was amazing. I didn't like it the first time I watched it but now I love it and I've watched it about 3-5 times! The only problem about the movie is that I think they spend too long before they are actually in the Hunger Games. I personally think they should of spent more of the movie with the fighting and things, because i had to skip it because I got a bit bored.
  14. Nov 17, 2013
    An excellent adaptation, probably one of the best I've seen. Jennifer Lawrence's potrayal of Katniss is spot on; it's her performance that carries the whole movie (but of course, the supporting cast is also very talented). Sure, some parts from the book didn't make it to the movie, but overall it's very faithful to the source material. Gary Ross's direction feels kind of raw andAn excellent adaptation, probably one of the best I've seen. Jennifer Lawrence's potrayal of Katniss is spot on; it's her performance that carries the whole movie (but of course, the supporting cast is also very talented). Sure, some parts from the book didn't make it to the movie, but overall it's very faithful to the source material. Gary Ross's direction feels kind of raw and fast-paced, but that's in a good way: unlike others, I really loved the shaky camera movements. Overall, The Hunger Games was a huge surprise for me. I thought it was going to be another crappy adaptation like Twilight but Gary Ross proved me wrong. And thank God for that. Expand
  15. Jun 13, 2013
    Katniss forever!!! Favorite books, favorite movie. I was just oozing with excitement from watching this movie. So good and it delivered exactly what the book was.
  16. May 30, 2013
    'The Hunger Games' makes sure to always keep its source material at heart, making it a wonderfully faithful adaption. Not only that, tense editing, a great performance from Lawrence and an overall good screenplay, make it edge of seat action, while also offering a real purpose and moral drama.
  17. May 12, 2013
    As a fan of the source material, I was looking forward for the movie adaptation. After the film ended, I came to the conclusion that the book was better, because it contained a bit more information. However, the result they presented to us by far exceeded my expectations and led me to think that The Hunger Games not only was a great time, as it was one of the most faithful adaptations IAs a fan of the source material, I was looking forward for the movie adaptation. After the film ended, I came to the conclusion that the book was better, because it contained a bit more information. However, the result they presented to us by far exceeded my expectations and led me to think that The Hunger Games not only was a great time, as it was one of the most faithful adaptations I had ever seen. The movie's tone is exactly what you get while reading the novel, and it captures that dramatic violence and raw emotion the characters were submited to. The acting is powerful and it greatly benefits from Jennifer Lawrence's blow-minding portrayl of Katniss, who will certainly become one of the most beloved heroines of all time. Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth are a perfect match for a love triangle, that unlike the Twilight franchise it actually works. Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson and Stanley Tucci were capable enough of throwing a little comedic timing on the first half to relief a bit of the pressure that the audience itself catches, because you are rooting for the characters throughout this journey. In the end, The Hunger Games is superbly acted and provides us the best take we could have ever been provided to such a inspirational story of hope, motivation, rebelion and most importantly political corruption and its consequences. Expand
  18. Apr 20, 2013
    Read all 3 books and must say, the movie follows the first book, "The Hunger Games" quite well. Although I didn't like when they made Katniss get the Mocking-jay pin from an old lady instead of Madge. But other than that, followed the book better than most movies based on books.
  19. Mar 24, 2013
    um filme muito bom, desde o começo no distrito pobre a escolha dos tributos até a conclusão do jogos. Mas vale lembrar que eles omitem varias passagens importantes do livro, que acaba fazendo o livro melhor!
  20. Mar 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jennifer Lawrence stuns her audience with her amazing capabilities as an actress. The acting was well done, as were the effects. The film did, however have many production errors, one being the death order of the tributes in the bloodbath jumbled. Amandla Stenberg made an impressing acting debut as Rue, where actors such as Isabelle Fuhrman and Jack Quade, who are fairly new in the film industry did well as Clove and Marvel. I would have liked that Madge Undersee was included into the film, along with a few other scenes during and after the games that were omitted from the final picture. Expand
  21. Mar 17, 2013
    Easily one of the best book to film adaptions of all time and one of the best movies of 2012, The Hunger Games is a dystopian film which is able to provide an amazing story line with fantastic performances from the cast, most notably Jennifer Lawrence who plays Katniss Everdeen, the film's heroine. Recommended for people who want to see a good film with a good message.
  22. Mar 15, 2013
    I hated the concept of it kids killing kids but the acting was superb by all. Every character was meant to be there and had a purpose. I know people will say why give it a ten if you hated the concept. Look at it this way I hate Leonard Cohen I don't like his style if singing but he is still a brilliant songwriter.
  23. Feb 22, 2013
    The Hunger Games was everything I expected, but not more than that. I am a huge fan of the series, having read all the books months ago, but I've avoided the movie until all the hype died down, so that I could give an honest opinion, and here it is. The film was terrific, one of the best adaptation of a book I've read. Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely perfect as Katniss and if she doesn'tThe Hunger Games was everything I expected, but not more than that. I am a huge fan of the series, having read all the books months ago, but I've avoided the movie until all the hype died down, so that I could give an honest opinion, and here it is. The film was terrific, one of the best adaptation of a book I've read. Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely perfect as Katniss and if she doesn't get a ton of awards for the role, there is no justice in Hollywood. That's the good news, however the movie was far from perfect. Friends who went with me and had never read the books, found it to be slow, and didn't understand certain things. At times, I could see their point. Several major things were rushed or just left out of the film. This led to some confusion, and then there's Peeta. I love Josh Hutcherson and thought he was terrific, but the portrayal of Peeta wasn't accurate. He was nowhere near as likeable as he is in the books and he comes off looking like kind of a The end of the games was also problematic, as they changed a key point that I thought was pivotal going into Catching Fire. It will be interesting to see what they do to fix that before the next film. Overall I loved the movie and thought it was awesome, but if you didn't read the books, you might be a little confused by parts of it and see it as slow. Parts of the film that dragged on were explained through thoughts in Katniss's head during the book. Without knowing what was going on at those points, I could see how some audience members may have been bored with it. The movie and especially the books live up to all the hype and are well worth your time, The Hunger Games is something you are not going to want to miss. Expand
  24. Feb 15, 2013
    This was an engaging movie. The world building was fabulous, and the characters were very well done. The score was amazing too. The book's mythology was very well captured. The feel and tone was consistently dark and brooding. I had read the book first, and I recognize that in a movie it's all show and no tell, so it was refreshing that they tried to capture the story from differentThis was an engaging movie. The world building was fabulous, and the characters were very well done. The score was amazing too. The book's mythology was very well captured. The feel and tone was consistently dark and brooding. I had read the book first, and I recognize that in a movie it's all show and no tell, so it was refreshing that they tried to capture the story from different viewpoints. But I was still disappointed that they didn't include the moments where Katniss comes across as very human and flawed. I was hoping they would include a voice-over for the heroine. I'm not saying they should have narrated everything, but Katniss's thoughts at key moments would have made the situations more entertaining, like her feelings about Peeta as they change when the story moves forward. All in all, I was very satisfied. If anyone who read the book isn't happy with the adaptation, I suggest you consider The Golden Compass, which was based on an awesome book but turned into a pile of rubbish upon adaptation; as it included far less character development, had lesser running time and toned down violence. Expand
  25. Feb 5, 2013
    A movie that is well acted and well made. This movie brings the book to life in an extraordinary/unforgettable way that has powerful relations with humanity, politics, and reality television which all takes part in our society in how we know what's going on and what our government is doing.
  26. Jan 17, 2013
    I like this movie a lot, the action and stuff. Nice movie.
  27. Jan 7, 2013
    It wasn't that bad but quite disappointing compared to the books. I think Jennifer Lawrence did a wonderful job. But Josh Hutcherson wasn't a best choice for Peeta.
  28. Dec 29, 2012
    The movie is great. What I like about this movie is that every time u watch it, you find different interesting things. I think the story is great and the movie is very well-done.
  29. Dec 21, 2012
    One of the best book adaptations of all time.
    Intense and surreal. As a bookworm, I could say that reading the book of course is better but watching this is so extreme that you just have to watch it fervently. I loved it. 10 out of 10.1 :D
  30. Dec 1, 2012
    The Hunger Games is a big blockbuster that knows how to do a film mixing action, drama, fiction, romance and adventure. I felt, when i just leave the theater after watching this film, original like it is, that a new phenomenon was born. I was right. Waiting for the sequel "Catching Fire", but while it doesn't get into the theaters, we have to enjoy this great movie.
  31. Nov 3, 2012
    This review contains fairly major spoilers about half way through (you have been warned)!

The Hunger Games is an amazing movie filled with suspense. The action scenes are incredibly tense and quick, as you watch the film, you become nervous, it is very engaging, questions will pop up in your head: What's gonna happen to everyone, who will die next, what will the actual hunger games be like, who will be picked to compete, what the heck is going on (only if you didn't read the writing at the start, if you don't read it, you'll have no idea what's going on!)?! The plot is interesting and makes you anxious, it has much depth, but it is a little confusing, and the character building is slightly off, you don't get to know the characters incredibly well, but saying that, you do get a big idea of what they are like, and when a character dies and/or something bad to them happens, you do get emotional, either on the verge of crying or mildly weeping, one particular character, from district 11, when she dies, you cry, and you fill really sorry for her (presumably) dad. It is amazingly gripping, the whole thing is. Another thing: the people who made this must of worked insanely hard to make it an amazing experience to watch, because the whole thing is incredibly tense and exciting; the compelling and not too complex plot, the impressive special effects, the great acting, the suspense, the exiting action sequences, the extremely well-fitted music, the well done dialogue and the perfectly done camera angles are the things that make it so amazing to watch! The only things stopping this brilliant movie from getting a 10 are: the character building thing, the fact that the actor of the main character is definitely not a teenager, and the slightly over the top makeup. So I give this film a 9.5/10.
  32. Oct 26, 2012
    Sad, thought-provoking, deep, emotional, and downright depressing these are the words I would use to describe The Hunger Games. I've never read the book, but this movie has made me want to. It's an absolutely emotional film. The characters are absolutely extremely well done. So much so in fact that I wanted to know more and more about them, including the minor and villain characters. If ISad, thought-provoking, deep, emotional, and downright depressing these are the words I would use to describe The Hunger Games. I've never read the book, but this movie has made me want to. It's an absolutely emotional film. The characters are absolutely extremely well done. So much so in fact that I wanted to know more and more about them, including the minor and villain characters. If I had one complaint it would be that some scenes aren't as detailed as they should be. A problem I believe they had because they couldn't fit all the details from the book into the movie. This is a movie I do recommend, just keep in mind it's a pretty brutal film. Expand
  33. Oct 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think that The hunger games is one of the best movie ever and if you don't agree with me I can say that you are very stuped person! This is my opinion! Expand
  34. Oct 3, 2012
    The Hunger Games tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who volunteers to take her sisters place for the female District 12 contestant for the Hunger Games. Set in a future where the public are controlled by offering up a male and a female between 12 and 16 every year in a last man standing contest. Katniss will have to fight her instincts to make new allies, choose herThe Hunger Games tells the story of Katniss Everdeen, a 16 year old girl who volunteers to take her sisters place for the female District 12 contestant for the Hunger Games. Set in a future where the public are controlled by offering up a male and a female between 12 and 16 every year in a last man standing contest. Katniss will have to fight her instincts to make new allies, choose her enemies and fall in love to win the hearts of the viewers and to increase her chances of survival.
    The films special effects are good, the larger ones are noticeable but the smaller ones not so much making it fit in with the reality or not feel to it not to mention the top notch acting. The Hunger Games is one of 2012's unmissable films.
  35. Oct 2, 2012
    After all the dreadful Twilight movies that have come our way, we finally get a teen-targeted movie worth watching! The movie's biggest strong point is Jennifer Lawrence's gripping portrayal of Katniss, she played the role just as one would picture her in the book. I also don't think they could've got a better Peeta if they tried, Josh Hucterson IS Peeta. The violence pushes the boundariesAfter all the dreadful Twilight movies that have come our way, we finally get a teen-targeted movie worth watching! The movie's biggest strong point is Jennifer Lawrence's gripping portrayal of Katniss, she played the role just as one would picture her in the book. I also don't think they could've got a better Peeta if they tried, Josh Hucterson IS Peeta. The violence pushes the boundaries for PG-13 films and it makes for some very powerful and tense moments. The Disctrict 12 scenes have a haunting conviction over them and the Capitol scenes display a perfect satire of our society. My only problems with the movie were that it needed a director more experienced with action films, the action and CGI were fairly poor, and the changes they made the climax stopped it from tugging my emotional strings like it did in the book. Apart from that it was brill and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the series take shape. Expand
  36. Sep 29, 2012
    Best movie of the year by far. The Hunger Games is a stunning visual phenomenon. The special effects is what won me over. The tension keeps you on the edge of your seat. At the time I watched this movie, I had not read the book. Therefore, I had no idea whatsoever of what was going to happen. I was still stunned! But now I have read the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy and am workingBest movie of the year by far. The Hunger Games is a stunning visual phenomenon. The special effects is what won me over. The tension keeps you on the edge of your seat. At the time I watched this movie, I had not read the book. Therefore, I had no idea whatsoever of what was going to happen. I was still stunned! But now I have read the first book of The Hunger Games trilogy and am working on the second. Expand
  37. Sep 4, 2012
    A very intense revolutionary and spell-binding ride, that as it is exceptionally original, it is the container and surely, the master of all things suspense. Definetly, a must-see!
  38. Sep 1, 2012
    I wonder is this Film would have been as thrilling to see without having read the books. The only thing keeping this movie from being a 10 is the fact that the book has so much more flavor and nuance. The only thing giving this movie a 9 is seeing my book-fueled imagination come to life. By itself, anyone can enjoy Hunger Games and walk away thouroughly entertained. Read the bookI wonder is this Film would have been as thrilling to see without having read the books. The only thing keeping this movie from being a 10 is the fact that the book has so much more flavor and nuance. The only thing giving this movie a 9 is seeing my book-fueled imagination come to life. By itself, anyone can enjoy Hunger Games and walk away thouroughly entertained. Read the book before the movie (and suspend your hopes of seeing a direct interpretation of the book), and you will enjoy the Film so much more. Expand
  39. Aug 21, 2012
    This is one of my favorite movies!! Jennifer Lawrence made the perfect Katniss and Josh Hutcherson the perfect Peeta!! If you want to see an AMAZING movie, i totally recomand this one!! It was almost as good as the book!!
  40. Aug 19, 2012
    To be totally honest, I didn't like the book. But the movie was a lot better. Very suspenseful, rich plot, several twists, and unexpected surprises around every corner, you need to see this movie.
  41. Aug 18, 2012
    I would say 70 percent of the people gave bad reviews didn't actually see the movie. The move overall was well done, story was there albeit its not the same as the book but that is expected. Actor performances were top notch and this is just a really nice treat for a movie.
  42. Jul 31, 2012
    All of my friends raved about this movie, and I now know why! It was amazing and had me totally hooked. I immediately went to the bookstore afterwards and bought all of the books. Upon completing the first book (in a matter of hours), I discovered the movie follows the book extremely well. I don't understand the negative reviews, unless some people are so dense they can only understandAll of my friends raved about this movie, and I now know why! It was amazing and had me totally hooked. I immediately went to the bookstore afterwards and bought all of the books. Upon completing the first book (in a matter of hours), I discovered the movie follows the book extremely well. I don't understand the negative reviews, unless some people are so dense they can only understand nonstop action. In any case, if you like futuristic plots and a great premise, I recommend it. Expand
  43. Jul 23, 2012
    It has some disturbing images but I like the arena part.A survival battle.I want to see Catching Fire and mockingjay part one and two.In box office the number one.
  44. Jul 12, 2012
    I was so excited but also so concerned that they were going to screw up this movie, based on a book that is one of my favorites. But I am pleased to say, they did great! The casting is great, the story is great, the direction is great (but, maybe a little bit too much shaky cam?) and the pacing is great. Of course, some parts of the book weren't included, but that's to be expected with anI was so excited but also so concerned that they were going to screw up this movie, based on a book that is one of my favorites. But I am pleased to say, they did great! The casting is great, the story is great, the direction is great (but, maybe a little bit too much shaky cam?) and the pacing is great. Of course, some parts of the book weren't included, but that's to be expected with an adaption of a novel. Expand
  45. Jul 9, 2012
    Being a major fan of the books, i was expecting alot out of the movie. I went into the movie theater thinking it was going to disappoint me, and came out corrected. I was amazingly blown away and moved by the movie. I was so proud of what Gary Ross did with the movie and he did a great job with the risky choice of a handheld camera. There was not one point in the movie where you weren't onBeing a major fan of the books, i was expecting alot out of the movie. I went into the movie theater thinking it was going to disappoint me, and came out corrected. I was amazingly blown away and moved by the movie. I was so proud of what Gary Ross did with the movie and he did a great job with the risky choice of a handheld camera. There was not one point in the movie where you weren't on the edge of your seat, watching for what happened next. But, i have to admit i was disappointed that their was alot left out from the books, but everything in the movie was already spot on to the book, that i didn't worry to much about it! I loved it, the actors were perfect for the roles. Jennifer Lawrence did a spectacular job and Josh Hutcherson was the perfect love interest. I loved it, very well done. And i think i speak on behalf of all the fans when i say this, We are SO ready for "Catching Fire". I loved the romance and i loved the action of the movie, the cave scenes and the kiss were spot on and emotional. Fantastic Job, Ross. Expand
  46. Jun 22, 2012
    One of the few novel adaptations that actually comes close to approaching the quality of its source material. The only blunder was not expanding much on Rue's character the way they did in the book. Otherwise, this is a useful companion to the book that even expands on the book's social commentary (mostly by being more unsubtle, but that's beside the point). You don't need to read the bookOne of the few novel adaptations that actually comes close to approaching the quality of its source material. The only blunder was not expanding much on Rue's character the way they did in the book. Otherwise, this is a useful companion to the book that even expands on the book's social commentary (mostly by being more unsubtle, but that's beside the point). You don't need to read the book to understand it, either - my dad saw it and liked it. Anyway, I loved the shaky camera and the way they would take out all the sound in the fighting scenes and replace it with white noise. It made it more horrifying. After all, this is NOT an epic popcorn roller-coaster ride, this is a disturbing, upsetting vision of the direction in which our shallow, sheltered, desensitized, gossipy, flamboyant, privileged first-world western society could very well head. We ARE the Capitol audience, and something very much like the Hunger Games could insinuate in the near future. The movie did an excellent job illustrating this (loved Cato's monologue - that actually should have been in the book). Along with that, the cast was superb. Jennifer Lawrence, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Isabelle Fuhrman and Liam Hemsworth are all terrific actors. And the soundtrack (especially the credits song) was great. Expand
  47. Jun 19, 2012
    given that i read the 3 books in a weekend i cannot deny the fact that the story is awesome. i think the movie did not do the books justice but no movie usually does the book justice. would recommend the books though
  48. Jun 18, 2012
    The Hunger Games was great thanks to the somewhat raw performance by Jennifer Lawrence. She is a great actress but I wasn't really expecting to be blown away like I was. The hunger Games flows very very smoothly and the pacing is swift and just about perfect. Remaining exceptionally true to the source material and capturing the world of Panem almost to a T, It's a great movie and I wouldThe Hunger Games was great thanks to the somewhat raw performance by Jennifer Lawrence. She is a great actress but I wasn't really expecting to be blown away like I was. The hunger Games flows very very smoothly and the pacing is swift and just about perfect. Remaining exceptionally true to the source material and capturing the world of Panem almost to a T, It's a great movie and I would just about recommend it to anyone. Expand
  49. Jun 9, 2012
    Honestly, from the beginning of the movie I did not understand what was going on. Though as the movie progressed it did make sense, this movie has a GREAT script, Very good actors, some special effects, the perfect amount! Very diverse , suspenseful movie! Its totally a GO!
  50. Jun 9, 2012
    I think it is the best movie ever, except for the fact that it was not completely true to the book. It skipped most of the actual games, some of the foods, and the costumes are a little different than in the book. It was still a great movie!!!!!! Some of the quotes were not in it, though...
    Still AWESOME!! I highly recommend it.

-kataangforever1
  51. May 20, 2012
    First off, I have read all of the Hunger Games trilogy books. Second, this movie was a pretty spot on representation of the books. The action was gritty thanks to the director. The close up face shots and jagged angles added to the intensity. That said, there were a few "shaky cam" moments that could have been avoided. The fighting was brutal, and the subject of kids killing eachother isFirst off, I have read all of the Hunger Games trilogy books. Second, this movie was a pretty spot on representation of the books. The action was gritty thanks to the director. The close up face shots and jagged angles added to the intensity. That said, there were a few "shaky cam" moments that could have been avoided. The fighting was brutal, and the subject of kids killing eachother is always kind of dark. I think showing the graphic murder of these young people nails the point home. The Capital in this film is bad, and they are ruthless. I hope to see the next two be even better than this one. Expand
  52. May 20, 2012
    I saw this film back on its first opening weekend and I had high expectations seeing how I have read and enjoyed the whole book series. For that, I absolutely enjoyed this movie and it is entertaining as all hell! The only problems are that some parts from the book were left out and you have to be patient to be satisfied with the actual Hunger Games tournament. Other than that, the acting,I saw this film back on its first opening weekend and I had high expectations seeing how I have read and enjoyed the whole book series. For that, I absolutely enjoyed this movie and it is entertaining as all hell! The only problems are that some parts from the book were left out and you have to be patient to be satisfied with the actual Hunger Games tournament. Other than that, the acting, the visuals, the story are all great! Expand
  53. May 19, 2012
    A really good film. The Hunger Games is probably one of the best films I have seen this year. The atmosphere is intense, the premise and story is emotional and thought provoking and the acting is top notch. Jennifer Lawrence is amazing as Katniss and I consider her one of the best new actresses today and the rest of the cast is great too. The only complain that I have with the whole filmA really good film. The Hunger Games is probably one of the best films I have seen this year. The atmosphere is intense, the premise and story is emotional and thought provoking and the acting is top notch. Jennifer Lawrence is amazing as Katniss and I consider her one of the best new actresses today and the rest of the cast is great too. The only complain that I have with the whole film is that the action scenes are riddled with shaky camera shots, which is very disorientating and it did get annoying at parts but it wasn't enough to ruin the film. I've read the first book of the Hunger Games trilogy and I have to say this is a very well made adaptation. It stayed with the main plot and kept the maturity and serious treatment of its demographic, which are mostly teenagers, that the book conveys. Expand
  54. May 15, 2012
    The trailer didn't really appeal to me, but the reviews were good, both from professionals and the paying public alike so we gave it a go. Was it worth it? Absolutely! The Hunger Games is simply a grown up teen drama, playing around with ideas and inspiration from Greek mythology, namely Theseus And The Minotaur, as well as the Roman Games.

But, quite correctly translating both into a

But, quite correctly translating both into a more modern, Orwellian styled reality TV language, perfectly tailored for the time that we live in. Based on a series of novels only four years old themselves, by Suzanne Collins who also co-wrote the screenplay, The Hunger Games is everything to the genre of teen melodrama that Twilight isn't.

The film is also held together by solid performances from the cast, led by Jennifer Lawrence, who as Katniss Everdeen, the only child ever to volunteer for the games, who does so to save her sister, delivers and low-key but intense turn. But so do her co-stars, whether it be Josh Hutcherson as her love interest or Woody Harellson who almost steals the show at times.

The Hunger Games deals with mature subject matters, in a mature way all the way through, seeming not to shy away from the brutal and horrific topic of children murdering each other for the entertainment of the masses, without actually showing too much. But the intensity of the violence and the tone can a times be disturbing without be income distasteful. A fine line expertly walked by director Gary Ross.

But it's not just the violent content that works here, so does the satire and political subtext, and boy is there subtext. The characters are well-rounded and their lives as well as their traumas are played out with a real sense of plausibility. And that is the key to a film like this. This is a fantasy film playing around with mythology and political satire. All of which can easily come crashing down but steering a steady ship and believing in your world goes along way to drawing in the audience to that world, which in many ways is filled with potholes, but who cares.

The tone is more than engaging enough to hold us and that is in the end in the key to the film. Certainly a MUST for Twilight fans, to see what a real female role model looks like...
  55. May 12, 2012
    This was one awesome movie. Me and my wife went last weekend and we really enjoyed it. The cast was great and the costumes were out of this world. We left the movie theatre and were quiet in the car for a few minutes trying to rethink the movie and that what ifs...Definately a movie to go see.
  56. May 11, 2012
    I think the goal was to translate the Hunger Games series into films that would still get it a PG-13 rating so that it's primary audience could actually go see the movies. It could have been much darker and more violent, but I think it was faithful to the book - and a thoughtful treatment of the various dystopian themes. There's so much more to the books than the violence of the games.I think the goal was to translate the Hunger Games series into films that would still get it a PG-13 rating so that it's primary audience could actually go see the movies. It could have been much darker and more violent, but I think it was faithful to the book - and a thoughtful treatment of the various dystopian themes. There's so much more to the books than the violence of the games. Had the movie focused only on that it would have shortchanged the story. Instead, this film reaches for higher-hanging fruit. Jennifer Lawrence is a terrific actress who brought depth to the role of Katniss, but I thought Amandla Stenberg's portrayal of Rue was wonderful. I look forward to the next installment! Expand
  57. May 10, 2012
    Having never read the books, but still wanting too, I decided to watch the film first so that I would not be able to judge the film on its accuracy. Each moment of The Hunger Games was suspenseful magic, complemented by a fantastically acted cast and enjoyable characters. Each moment was genius, and I exited the cinema as I entered, wanting to see the film.
  58. May 10, 2012
    What a film this was. Every second, something was going on, the structure of how this film was made is incredible. I was gripping my chair in the cinema as you never know what was going to be flung at you at any second. The traps were especially good, like the tracker jackers and those wild beast things near the end of the movie ( including one jump scene that sent my popcorn flying!!!).What a film this was. Every second, something was going on, the structure of how this film was made is incredible. I was gripping my chair in the cinema as you never know what was going to be flung at you at any second. The traps were especially good, like the tracker jackers and those wild beast things near the end of the movie ( including one jump scene that sent my popcorn flying!!!). 10 OUT A 10!! Expand
  59. Apr 30, 2012
    To me, the Hunger Games was like watching something in the future. I know that it leaves out lots of parts, but if they took it right from the book, It would probably be rated R.
  60. Apr 28, 2012
    It's not flawless , but it manages to keep the viewer engrossed from start to finish thanks to some very thrilling action and a superb emotional emphasis that will stay with you for a very long time to come .
  61. Apr 26, 2012
    I must say, the book was far superior. The movie didn't cover the story as well as the novel did, so if you haven't read the book, you're going to be lost in some places. I loved the film, camera-work, dialogue, acting, and score, but it just didn't seem complete.
  62. Apr 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. However,each time i look upon a pair of dream red bottom shoes,i will canâ Expand
  63. Apr 22, 2012
    Beautiful. The adaptation for the book was beautiful. True, the camera style was shaky and the relationship between Peeta and Katniss was shallow, and also true, some of the important parts of the movie were left out, but there were only 20 DIFFERENCES--you can count them on wikipedia if you don't believe me, they have a list--BETWEEN THE BOOK AND THE MOVIE. You see, pretty much almost allBeautiful. The adaptation for the book was beautiful. True, the camera style was shaky and the relationship between Peeta and Katniss was shallow, and also true, some of the important parts of the movie were left out, but there were only 20 DIFFERENCES--you can count them on wikipedia if you don't believe me, they have a list--BETWEEN THE BOOK AND THE MOVIE. You see, pretty much almost all of the movies made nowadays bases off of books are AWFUL. They have too many differences to distinguish from the book it turns into a completely different plot, and soon enough, the movie turns into something different than what it was based off of. WHY THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS??? THE ADAPTATION WAS BEAUTIFUL!!! The acting was purely wonderful to watch; I have never seen a movie with such great acting. For all of those who say the acting was terrible, you should Google what the other possible choices are, and you'll probably be out of school for weeks due to nausea. Suzanne Collins was strictly GENIUS for choosing Liongate to to the remake. The criticism for the adaptation is unnecessary, the racial views are completely out of line, and the movie is lower on the user score than it should be. People, have a heart and have good taste to know when a movie that comes out is actually GOOD! Expand
  64. Apr 21, 2012
    This movie is fantastic, the action is not to childish, and Jennifer Lawrence's acting was impressive. My only complaint is that, in the novel, the story was more about the Hunger Games, in the movie, they try to make it more about teen romance, disappointing.
  65. Apr 21, 2012
    No entiendo porque tanto revuelo, una pelicula mas!!! Muy predecible, las escenas con efectos especiales eran dignas de cualquier pelicula de TV, esperaba mucho mas, no nos vendan espejitos por favor
  66. Apr 21, 2012
    I saw the film the same day as they released it.
    I was scared, cuz I didn't know if it was gonna be a **** like Harry Potter or Twilight...but finaly I can say is a really awesome film.
    In every aspect. Really great. Maybe it had some strange thing at the begginning, but at last, it was amazing. If you're thinking you're gonna watch some commercial **** like Twilight or something like
    I saw the film the same day as they released it.
    In every aspect.
    Really great.
    Maybe it had some strange thing at the begginning, but at last, it was amazing.
    If you're thinking you're gonna watch some commercial **** like Twilight or something like that, youre very wrong.
    And if you like Battle Royale, you're going to like this one.
  67. Apr 20, 2012
    I'm writing this review as a person who has yet to read the books yet. Watching the movie without any knowledge of what you are going into is o.k, (The story is simple enough to follow), but when i watched it, i had know idea who was doing what and who's killing who. I only barely remembered 2 or 3 of the characters because of the lack character development. The movie itself is fast pacedI'm writing this review as a person who has yet to read the books yet. Watching the movie without any knowledge of what you are going into is o.k, (The story is simple enough to follow), but when i watched it, i had know idea who was doing what and who's killing who. I only barely remembered 2 or 3 of the characters because of the lack character development. The movie itself is fast paced and if you've read the books, would probably leave you amazed. The story is solid, acting is solid and pretty everything is well done. I only wished that the character's could be more fleshed out in the movie. I would recommend this movie to pretty much anyone because its probably one of the best movies to be released this year. Expand
  68. Apr 19, 2012
    I am no Hunger Games nerd. That is to say, I read the books, but I am not obsessed by them. I didn't even liked the second two that much. I did, however, like the first book in the series. Quite a bit actually. So, it came as a surprise to me when I enjoyed the movie even more than the book. In case you have, somehow, missed reading the book(s), The Hunger Games is an annual event thatI am no Hunger Games nerd. That is to say, I read the books, but I am not obsessed by them. I didn't even liked the second two that much. I did, however, like the first book in the series. Quite a bit actually. So, it came as a surprise to me when I enjoyed the movie even more than the book. In case you have, somehow, missed reading the book(s), The Hunger Games is an annual event that occurs in a not-so-future-future time, when one girl and boy from each district (24 children in all) is randomly selected to battle to the death in a glamorous and ferocious televised event. Katniss volunteers as a tribute when her younger sister, Prim, is selected to be in the Hunger Games. Now Katniss must somehow survive the treacheries of the Hunger Games, and show the Capitol she is no pawn in their game. The Hunger Games is, as one would expect, extremely intense. Children heartlessly killing each other to survive. And it's goes beyond shooting from afar. Combat occurs within tripping distance. Slashing of knives, snapping of necks, all these duels between children between the ages of 12 and 18. But The Hunger Games is PG-13 (as opposed to R), so the violence is portrayed in a way, in which you don't see much of the actual killing. You just know what is implied. The camera is placed at strategic angles so that you may see some blood and the attack, but not the knife or the ax digging into the child's flesh. Actually, it's all very tame, considering the subject. I'm not the kind of person that can watch a lot of gore, so this was perfectly fine with me. Now that I've got all that boring stuff regarding the violence out of the way, I can start sharing my opinion on the film: As of now, The Hunger Games is the best movie I've seen this year. There were two points in the movie in which I ALMOST cried. I held back tears, for certain. And it wasn't easy. The Hunger Games is very emotional. The camera is very shaky. The movie often feels like a found-footage film. At first, the shaky camera irritated me. But within 10 minutes, I had become so connected with the movie, that I didn't even notice the camera. In the first half (before the actual games begin), there is a decent amount of humor. This is not a comedy, so don't expect to be in stitches, but there are some mild laughs. Almost all of these come from the Capitol's lightheartedness towards the Hunger Games. They laugh and joke about it. It is important to them, but they don't give a second thought about the 23 people who will die as a result. The casting is marvelous. Everyone does a wonderful job portraying their characters. Before seeing the movie, I was a bit skeptical at some of the actor choices, but all the doubt washed away as each character appeared on screen. Also, the makeup and costumes are incredible. They're so ridiculously silly looking (intentionally), and it just feels perfect. Truly well done. The score is equally wonderful. The music is powerful, and during the games, adds invaluable amounts of tension. Hats off to the composers. The action is tense. Your pulse will most certainly quicken. In addition to other competitors, there are tracker jackers (genetically engineered wasps), dog-like wolves, and fire. Lots of fire. There are plenty of plot twists that will certainly shock those who haven't read the book. This movie is emotional, tense, and overall, wonderful. I do have a few minor nitpicks, specifically regarding character interaction. Cinna doesn't get enough screen time. We just don't feel the relationship between him and Katniss like we did in the book. President Snow doesn't seem quite as menacing as he is in the book, though he's evil enough. Also, the romance portion of the film is disappointingly cheesy. Teenage girls in the audience certainly fell for it, but I often rolled my eyes. Also, the ending isn't a true ending. We get a hook for a sequel. It's not so much a cliffhanger, it's just a "To be continued." I didn't mind too much, and fans of the book won't either, but I suspect there will be some who will be irritated by this. The Hunger Games has a few flaws, but in the end, it's the best film of the year so far. Fantastic story, lots of emotion, good action, believable acting, superb score, amazing makeup and costumes, need I go on? Simply put, The Hunger Games is a must see. I was originally uninterested in the sequels, but this movie was so good, I may rethink skipping them. May the odds be ever in your favor, and happy Hunger Games! Expand
  69. Apr 18, 2012
    This is one of the best teen movie this year! I do not know why this movie just got a 6.7 rating? This movie can make the heart beat of the people who saw it! Amazing film!
  70. Apr 17, 2012
    What a fantastic, action-jammed film 'The Hunger Games' is! Perfect casting and fact-paced visuals make it one of the most exciting films of the 21st Century so far.
  71. Apr 15, 2012
    Best Movie I've Ever See. If you've read the book you will absolutely love this movie.
    Jennifer Lawrence is a sexy beast and the movie is just sooooooooo good you have to see this movie i swear.
  72. Apr 14, 2012
    The Hunger Games - 10/10 - The Hunger Games is inventive, inspirational and at times mind-blowing. It's not the greatest adaptation of the novel but this film stands alone. The shaky camera might be a little must but it's a brilliant way for this film that's about kids killing kids to bypass the MPAA and a R rating. Also a blockbuster of this nature made for under a hundred million and notThe Hunger Games - 10/10 - The Hunger Games is inventive, inspirational and at times mind-blowing. It's not the greatest adaptation of the novel but this film stands alone. The shaky camera might be a little must but it's a brilliant way for this film that's about kids killing kids to bypass the MPAA and a R rating. Also a blockbuster of this nature made for under a hundred million and not being a total disaster is a feat within itself. Hunger Games is a must watch blockbuster in a randomly placed March! Expand
  73. Apr 14, 2012
    I wish i could have given this movie an eleven! This movie not only showed the brutality of humans, but the inhumane treatment of "slave-like" districts. This movie was amazing, short and simple.
  74. Apr 13, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed both the book and film of "The Hunger Games". The cast was chosen correctly and the scenes were made both hooking and exciting. Despite a few changes to the film from the book, it was a great family film and i encourage you to see it!
  75. Apr 12, 2012
    I will keep it short and sweet. I had no expectations going into this movie and I really liked it. I enjoyed the build-up and politics up to the actual games. Woody Harrelson with his usual comic relief. Definitely entertaining. Worth seeing in the theatre for sure!!
  76. Apr 9, 2012
    The Hunger Games is an unforgettable film experience. It features an incredible performance from Jennifer Lawrence and amazing supporting performances from everyone. Gary Ross's direction may be criticized but he really manages to bring you into the story. You feel for the character, you feel pure emotion. The film manages to scare you, manages to make you cry. It never drags and should beThe Hunger Games is an unforgettable film experience. It features an incredible performance from Jennifer Lawrence and amazing supporting performances from everyone. Gary Ross's direction may be criticized but he really manages to bring you into the story. You feel for the character, you feel pure emotion. The film manages to scare you, manages to make you cry. It never drags and should be recognized as one of the best films of 2012. I give this movie 98%. Expand
  77. Apr 9, 2012
    I actually really liked this movie. The acting was amazing, the movie was similar to the book, and I felt a lot of real emotions during this. This movie was just what I imagined in the book. Jennifer Lawrence did a particularly good job as Katniss, and the special effects were mostly good. Two things I didn't like were the fire coming from the tributes from District 12, and how the cameraI actually really liked this movie. The acting was amazing, the movie was similar to the book, and I felt a lot of real emotions during this. This movie was just what I imagined in the book. Jennifer Lawrence did a particularly good job as Katniss, and the special effects were mostly good. Two things I didn't like were the fire coming from the tributes from District 12, and how the camera shook unnecessarily. I enjoyed this as I had read the book, but I reckon if you didn't read the book you would be quite confused as there was not a huge explanation and background. I am complimenting the book here, but I loved the plot and idea it. Overall, amazing! Full review here on my blog: http://seungsviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/movie-review-hunger-games.html Expand
  78. Apr 8, 2012
    I haven't read the book but it made perfect sense to me. As far as blockbusters go it was pretty darn good. It's a difficult thing to do a film like this well but they managed it, and in the process created something of a classic for our times.
  79. Apr 7, 2012
    Very close to the book, don't know what people are whining about. Only bad thing was shaky camera in first 15 minutes, then later in "distress" scenes. Totally unnecessary and annoying. Yes book is better, but what can you do in 2 hours and 13 min? Pretty much what they did. I do hope to see extended scenes of Peeta's injury and reaction by Katniss as they have to operate on him inVery close to the book, don't know what people are whining about. Only bad thing was shaky camera in first 15 minutes, then later in "distress" scenes. Totally unnecessary and annoying. Yes book is better, but what can you do in 2 hours and 13 min? Pretty much what they did. I do hope to see extended scenes of Peeta's injury and reaction by Katniss as they have to operate on him in the DVD. Other than that, everything was great. Expand
  80. Apr 5, 2012
    What an excellent film. Having read the books, i love the way Gary Ross brought the highly acclaimed book to the big screen. Yes it had its differences from the book, but wow he did an amazing job. The parts that were missing from the books were understandable because he had to appeal to the audience that didn't read the book and help them understand the development of the story and theWhat an excellent film. Having read the books, i love the way Gary Ross brought the highly acclaimed book to the big screen. Yes it had its differences from the book, but wow he did an amazing job. The parts that were missing from the books were understandable because he had to appeal to the audience that didn't read the book and help them understand the development of the story and the plot. The character development was the biggest flaw i saw in the film. It seemed very weak. I read the books yet i didn't feel anything for Gale and his relationship with Katniss in the movie, and the actor for Peeta was very weak, but you can't expect picture perfect acting from a newcomer like him. Same with Katniss and Rue's relationship, it wasn't built up nearly as much as it was in the book, yet the movie was already 2 and a half hours so its understandable. Overall though this film was just beautiful. The development to the games was perfect, the games themself were perfect and the way they brought the capitol and district 12 to life was perfect, exactly as i pictured it in the book. The action was very well done as well. This movie was almost perfect with just a few minor flaws. I'd give it a 9.5/10 but ill round it up to 10/10. Whether you have or have not read the books, you will love this movie for sure. Thank you Gary Ross (director) for bringing one of our favorite books to life in a beautiful way. Expand
  81. Apr 5, 2012
    Now, this film isn't incredible, but it fulfilled everything I had hopes for when I went into the cinema. I think a lot of the scenes were done done very well, and it made me feel very tense, which is good. The only bad thing I could say about it was there were a few cliches that they used, but all in all it was a good film, at least, I enjoyed it, and that's why I gave it the score that I did.
  82. Apr 4, 2012
    Why are some people so negative about this movie? It seems very entertaining to me. I just don't get it? Haven't they all heard that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all? I know a lot of people say it is very different from the book but, who cares? Some people didn't read the book yet and they saw the movie and they say it is good. Anyways that is just myWhy are some people so negative about this movie? It seems very entertaining to me. I just don't get it? Haven't they all heard that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all? I know a lot of people say it is very different from the book but, who cares? Some people didn't read the book yet and they saw the movie and they say it is good. Anyways that is just my opinion. I really am looking forward in the next movie Catching Fire next year! Expand
  83. Apr 4, 2012
    At first, I thought the book was borrowing a lot from the "Battle Royale" massacre concept, but "The Hunger Games" is an apparent more structured "Battle Royale" and its content is carefully thought.

I'd say the book is more detailed, but the movie did not miss the elements that made the story disturbingly satisfactory. Hollywood's tradition to produce the bestselling novel was a joke until Jennifer Lawrence got the lead.
  84. Apr 4, 2012
    A cinema viewing of this soft Sci-Fi phenomenon, Jennifer Lawrence is the only impetus for me and the aftermath is unexpectedly satisfactory, with several inevitable grudges, among which is the shakily giddying cinematography, it may intend to be stylish, however one should not stay too much nearer the screen and it is not well-manipulated.

The film is nerve-absorbing in its narrative

The film is nerve-absorbing in its narrative particularly before the game time, the stunning sets and inhabitants tableaux of the rich capitol is better-than-expectedly glistening, but when the children-slaughtering begins, there is deficit in imagination and the SFX mainly falls flat.

The film has already whisked away a TWILIGHT-sega triumph in the North American market, of which the worldwide popularity may fall short, but the sensational trend is irreversible, and as myself has completely sidelined TWILIGHT-sega, THE HUNGER GAMS is on a long run to be conquering an even wider demography (a more maturer one for sure). The performances are pleasantly orchestrated, an Oscar-nominated Jennifer Lawrence does strike a memorable and convincing embodiment of our heroin, imbues her a role-model paradigm for the young generation around her age, she is invincible in nearly all her scenes, grabbing all the attention and only a polychromatic talk-show host spoofer Stanley Tucci could steal some meager thunder from her. Among others, Josh Hutcherson is controversially add some juice to the flavor, I havenâ
  85. Apr 3, 2012
    Fantastic movie. Very friendly towards all audiences above 10. Action packed, emotional and entertaining. One of the only criticisms I can say is that there was some sloppy scenes and direction. Im sure the next one will be much more professional looking.
  86. Apr 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I read the books and was dying to see it the day it came out and I have to say, I was not disappointed. The CGI and acting were both a lot better than I thought they would be. The movie was not at all brought down a notch violence wise for kids. Many people who saw the movie actually think it should have been rated R. One of my favorite things with this movie is that it stayed almost exactly with the book. Many big blockbuster films based off of books are so drastically changed that it completely ruins the story for all of those who read the book originally. all in all, i would rate this a solid 9.5 out of 10. It doesn't deserve a 10 in my opinion because I feel like the beginning part when Katniss is in District 12 before the Reaping was way too short and you didn't really get to know Gale and how Katniss feels for him. Expand
  87. Apr 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Extraordinary film! But, I did feel it left out to much. The book gave way more information (like always) but, I felt it was a little peculiar that they left out Madge's character. Katniss's bestfriend and the girl that gave her the pin. I didn't picture the cornucopia like the movie's version. But, that doesn't matter. It was a great film. Brought me to tears at least 3 times and it was full of great acting. Expand
  88. Apr 1, 2012
    Hands down the best movie in recent memory. Everything about it was exquisite. A wickedly horrid but interesting story told magnificently. Compelling on every level. The tone and aura of the film were perfection.
  89. Apr 1, 2012
    It was excellent. I've read the books and I enjoyed the movie. No 10 rating for some of the acting and the changes to the script but none the less I enjoyed it.
  90. Apr 1, 2012
    When a movie can keep my husband (who works nights and usually dozes off during matinees) awake and inspire me to purchase and read the book (which at the time I had not) and leave us both wanting for more you know it's got to be good. This is the best movie I've seen in a long time. I'm about half way through the book now and can understand why some find the movie off putting...there isWhen a movie can keep my husband (who works nights and usually dozes off during matinees) awake and inspire me to purchase and read the book (which at the time I had not) and leave us both wanting for more you know it's got to be good. This is the best movie I've seen in a long time. I'm about half way through the book now and can understand why some find the movie off putting...there is more character development in the book but as far as an onscreen adaptation goes I think they did an excellent job. You can't get everything in a book on screen in the just over a couple of hours. Kept me on the edge of my seat and had me bawling like a baby at parts...Can't believe Hollywood got one right for a change...seems like we've had a dry spell for a few years now...definitely worth the price of admission which these days is saying a lot. Expand
  91. Mar 31, 2012
    Being a huge fan of the book ever since it came out in 2008, my expectations were extremely high for the film adaption, and I have to say I was not disappointed. Although I feel like some characters were very underdeveloped like Gale and Prim, they obviously can't include every little detail in the book, otherwise we would be in the theaters for hours and hours (which I would actually beBeing a huge fan of the book ever since it came out in 2008, my expectations were extremely high for the film adaption, and I have to say I was not disappointed. Although I feel like some characters were very underdeveloped like Gale and Prim, they obviously can't include every little detail in the book, otherwise we would be in the theaters for hours and hours (which I would actually be OK with, but probably not with others.) Living up to such a sensational book is not an easy task, and I thought Gary Ross did a great job with this adaption. Hopefully with the next couple of movies, they focus more on the characters themselves and more of their background story. But it was definitely the best movie I've seen in a REALLY long time. Expand
  92. Mar 29, 2012
    Ok I always gave this movie crap as just another huge hit with the tweens but I saw it today and I liked it a lot. I know I totally gave in and call me Hot Topic but I'm a fan now. I do wish the movie gave more depth into some of the other characters more so you could really feel the different emotions for love and hate but I'm really looking forward to the next film and I may have toOk I always gave this movie crap as just another huge hit with the tweens but I saw it today and I liked it a lot. I know I totally gave in and call me Hot Topic but I'm a fan now. I do wish the movie gave more depth into some of the other characters more so you could really feel the different emotions for love and hate but I'm really looking forward to the next film and I may have to start reading ;) Expand
  93. Mar 28, 2012
    The only reason I'm not giving this movie a 10 (even though I was totally planning on voting a 10) is because I watched the movie before I read the book. Overall, The Hunger Games is a unique and refreshing film. However, towards the last few minutes of the movie I started experiencing confusion between Katniss and Peeta's relationship. Keep in mind I did not know there was a HungerThe only reason I'm not giving this movie a 10 (even though I was totally planning on voting a 10) is because I watched the movie before I read the book. Overall, The Hunger Games is a unique and refreshing film. However, towards the last few minutes of the movie I started experiencing confusion between Katniss and Peeta's relationship. Keep in mind I did not know there was a Hunger Games book series at all before stepping into the theater. It was obvious towards the last few minutes a cliffhanger was coming and left me hoping for a sequel. I had many unanswered questions though about the characters relationships with each other and a few even on the technical aspects of the Games. The questions were not answered in the book Catching Fire. They were answered in the book Hunger Games. Because of my unanswered questions being answered within the book the movie was written about and the lack of details that I considered to be important in the book that were not shown in the movie I cannot give a 10. Expand
  94. Mar 28, 2012
    I really want to address the people that say it wasn't like the book: First they can't put everything into a 2 hour movie, also I believed that it was the best Book to film adaptation I have ever seen. Its not like most movies that were hollywooded, but this film didn't do that. I highly recommend this film, even if you didn't read the books
  95. Mar 28, 2012
    This movie does the book JUSTICE! An amazing recap of everything. The did however forget a few parts, but it doesn't subtract away from the accuracy/amazingness of the storyline. If you haven't read the book you might be quite lost 0_o
  96. Mar 28, 2012
    It was much better than I ever expected. The pace was good and the story pulled you in. Certainly a star making performance for Jennifer Lawrence who carries the movie (as she must) without any missteps. She was great in Winter's Bone and now she will have the massive box office success to go with her great acting skills. With 2 more movies in the franchise, this was a great way toIt was much better than I ever expected. The pace was good and the story pulled you in. Certainly a star making performance for Jennifer Lawrence who carries the movie (as she must) without any missteps. She was great in Winter's Bone and now she will have the massive box office success to go with her great acting skills. With 2 more movies in the franchise, this was a great way to kick things off. Must see in the genre and the first really solid movie of 2012. Expand
  97. Mar 28, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It stays 90% true to the book and the action scenes have been dumbed down in order to reach the intended audience rating. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the breakaway from traditional survival game violence, suggesting the violence with enthusing it. I recommend it.
  98. Mar 27, 2012
    Firstly, I would recommend reading the book first, you will miss a lot of the implied parts if you don't. Secondly I will start with my nitpicks. The shaky cam is a little annoying (its nowhere near transformers level, don't worry). There are a few minor moments from the book I wish were kept. I actually wish the movie was longer to flesh out the story. I didn't like the end part with theFirstly, I would recommend reading the book first, you will miss a lot of the implied parts if you don't. Secondly I will start with my nitpicks. The shaky cam is a little annoying (its nowhere near transformers level, don't worry). There are a few minor moments from the book I wish were kept. I actually wish the movie was longer to flesh out the story. I didn't like the end part with the Gamemaker. And I could do without all the extreme closeups.

Great casting, great acting, great costumes. The characters are awesome. Even though I read the book and knew the plot, I was still on the edge of my seat rooting for Katniss. The movie is well paced, the acting is brilliant! I just can't say enough good about the movie. The reason its not a 10 is because of the cinematography, no other reason.
  99. Mar 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw the movie opening day with my girlfriend and her family and we all really liked it.
    The extravagant clothes and styles were amazing and I can promise you that you'll be seeing costume design nominations at the academy awards for this movie .
    Jennifer Lawrence's acting is superb along with just about every single character I can think of from their alcoholic coach, to Rou, to the co-star Josh Hutcherson who will more than likely be nominated for his awesome performances.
    The movie also follows the book to tee. The only complaint was that Rou was black, but whatever, Overall this is a really great movie and everyone should see it, I'm not saying to join the bandwagon like twilight fans do cause who knows if the Hunger Games squeal Catching Fire will be any good seeing how it was defiantly the weakest book of the trilogy.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 26, 2012
    The result is an evasive, baffling, unexciting production - anything but a classic.
  2. Reviewed by: Andy Klein
    Mar 23, 2012
    Ross manages to keep the pacing remarkably swift, given that the games themselves don't start until halfway through the 144-minute running time.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 23, 2012
    Katniss is gritty, she's flinty, she's intimidating -- and she doesn't have to compromise one iota of her femininity for it. And Ross' movie tells her story wonderfully.