7.6

1. Aug 31, 2013
    A stand out documentary, eerie and put me on edge, which is rare with me. Having not heard of the story before seeing the film, the twists to the events made my jaw hang, and the way they were executed were fantastic.
  2. Feb 21, 2013
    I'm a fan of documentaries, movies and TV Shows of all genres. Usually, I choose which medium to view based on my mood. They are usually different types of entertainment. "The Imposter" totally throws off my criteria on how I decide. They say art imitates life and vice versa, but in this one it seems impossible to tell what is what. If someone were to come up with an idea to write this story they might be considered highly imaginative, but the twists and unbelievability of this documentary seem to unreal to be real. Yet, "The Imposter" is not based on a true story, but rather, it is a true story, word for word, and unfolding right before your eyes. I will give away nothing about this incredibly strange but captivating story. I'll just say that you'll think "No...no way! How? This is crazy!" or be more or less articulate in your once in a life time documentary experience. I think it's good to read a few reviews, and check out the description to decide whether to watch something or not. But, I believe the best way to truly enjoy something good is to have no preconceived notions about it. This is one of those you should just dive into without dipping your toe into it. I think you might find that the water will give you a serious chill, but it's a lot more exhilarating. Collapse
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    La trama es de lo más increible que podas ver en otro documental, Layton lo maneja de una manera original y efectiva, no despegas tus ojos de la pantalla ni por un segundo. Hipnotizante y aterradora.
  4. Dec 6, 2012
    This impressive documentary/ first feature film directed by Bart Layton chronicles an unimaginable case of a child abduction, that ultimately raises more questions than it answers. In 1997, 13 year-old Nicholas Garelay from Texas goes missing without a trace only to mysteriously reappear years later in Spain. He is reunited with his family by Spain and US officials, but as time and investigations reveal, circumstances and details are not consistent. A story so improbable and bizarre alone is worth the watch. Expand
  5. Aug 15, 2012
    Wonderful documentary about an outlandish story. The director was able to convey many sides of the story, leaving it to the viewer to decide. For such a traumatizing event, there are elements of humor. I question if the humor was done intentionally, or if its just the crazy ideas that eventually bring out the laughs.
  6. Aug 6, 2012
    In the first few minutes of this doc, the filmmakers share a crucial fact that, in a fiction film would be so outlandish, it would not be believed.. That this fact is revealed in the first 10 minutes of this movie made me think that the filmmakers had shown their cards too early, but they have a lot more in store. Absolutely riveting, the events depicted are deeply unsettling, and deeply sad. This doc is one of the best of the year. If you enjoy true crime docs, docs dealing with deceit and denial, and docs that examine human foibles and delusions, then, by all means, see this one. Do yourself a favor, though: don't read about any of the details. Let the film surprise you. You will not be disappointed. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Oct 12, 2012
    The utterly bizarre story made national news when it broke, has since provided much magazine fodder, and popped up only two years ago adapted into a dramatic feature. Now it receives the documentary treatment and, in the devilishly manipulative hands of director Bart Layton, what a treatment it is – the weirdness just gets weirder.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Sep 13, 2012
    The most fascinating aspect of The Imposter, though, is why the missing boy's family believed his story.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Sep 7, 2012
    There's a good reason why the true-crime film The Imposter is a documentary: If someone tried to pass off this bizarre Texas tale as fiction, nobody would believe it.